Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Shinsou listened carefully to his peers, one at a time. Storm was up first. The wizard always thought himself behind the intellectual curve, but that was something the Telgradian strongly disagreed with for good reason; Veritas had an eye for detail, logic and common sense, all forms of intelligence that even the smartest people sometimes lacked. Whilst Shinsou would often spend his time explaining and analysing his philosophies, ponderings, and looming strategies to the n'th degree, Storm was always there to point out that which his friend often overlooked. These were often small but critical details on which an entire operation could hinge, and this made his partnership with the electromancer invaluable.

The words rang in his ears again. He’s bound by rules. He HAS to be, or we’d be long dead by now.

The words nagged him as he paced the length of the office, head bowed. Storm was right, and this led the Telgradian to three possible conclusions as to why Arius had thus far not demonstrated his power. Firstly, it could have been that any prolonged use of this time magic would be detrimental to Arius, in some way. After all, if Canen was right and to be believed, experimenting with it cost the man his original body. Secondly, it was equally plausible that Arius had deliberately not used the power at his disposal. For what reason, Shinsou was unsure, although he did know by now that his former right hand man often had an endgame to all of his machinations. Thirdly, it was equally plausible that despite Canen’s evidence from before, Arius did not in fact possess the type of power that had been suggested. Perhaps there was another explanation for his arrival, currently beyond the realms of their comprehension? Or even a more obvious reason – that Canen was either wrong or lying?

As his thought process gathered momentum, Shinsou then listened to what his general had to say. Felicity's words almost defied belief; that she knew someone proficient in the sort of terrifyingly unknown practice of time magic, and mentioned this just at a time when further consultation on this dark art was never more required. At first, it seemed all too convenient. The Telgradian found himself wondering if she was just trying to impress both him and Storm, and an exchange of looks between the two men conveyed this. But then, as he scrambled to find the right words, cognizant of the need to not ridicule his apprentice in front of Storm Veritas, something came into his periphery. At first glance it was obviously an Owl, but Shinsou's vision only told him a half truth. The Telgradian couldn’t feel anything at all from the animal, even as he directed all of his focus to try and sense anything from it.

The only times in living memory he had not been able to sense another living creature was when he had encountered Joshua Cronen, and when they had both fought Draconis. The connection?

Joshua was a demi-god. Draconis was a full blown Thayne.

“What is that thing?” He kept his gaze fixed on the Owl, which seemed guarded and rigid. Was it the time-wielding accomplice that Felicity had referred to? It seemed crazy, but he and Storm had seen more absurdity than this in their lives.

Nuclear Rage

EXP: 64,948, Level: 10
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 52
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile
    The bird outside sat atop the room, looking directly upon Felicity with understanding, amber eyes. The white owl’s feathers were ruffled in the unforgiving wind. Felicity smiled, reaching and opening the window with a single finger, a testament to her physical strength. The window was open, allowing a bitter draft into the room. Felicity was used to the cold, having grown up far north of Corone. Yet, she understood that the others might dislike it. Thus, she motioned the creature towards the window. The owl then extended its powerful wings and glided towards the window with quiet, swift grace. The bird flew straight through the window, possibly causing the others to spook as it glided above them, circling for a moment until it landed straight on Shinsou’s desk chair.

Then, a flash of light was emitted by the creature. The figure was bathed in light as the shape grew. Then, as it died down, the owl was replaced with a young man.

His age was hard to pinpoint. He gave off a natural aura of someone far wiser than any child. His yellow eyes were shaded in knowledge beyond human comprehension, shadowed in layers of unnatural sorrow. His face, however, shone in the light of someone young and energetic. His skin was smooth, soft, like a much younger creature than even Felicity was. It was his stature, more than anything, that suggested his true age. He was lean, yet physically in a state of lithe might. Still, his body was still maturing into something of an adult. He was truly an adolescent, who like Felicity was somewhere between a child and grown up. His posture said he was more on the immature side as well, as he leaned back against the seat. The entire chair was forced to balance on its two back legs as the boy set his bare feet atop the desk. His long, white hair hung half over his face as he gazed upon all within the room with an unsettling level of knowingness. It was as if he could peer into your very soul, without consent or comfort. Yet, his eyes were shaded from you through sheer kindness, a kindness seen in those same, sage eyes. He wore pure, white clothes seemingly made of silk, which was unusual here these days, especially in the frigid climate the End of All Things brought.

He turned his head, leaned against the creaking wooden chair, towards Felicity. “What is it?”

Felicity took a step forward, aware of Storm’s guarded energy and Shinsou’s confusion. She walked up to the desk and pointed at his feet. “Can’t you sit in a better way than that?”

A smile spread across his face as he crossed his arms, “Nope.”

Felicity scoffed, half hopeless and half amused. She placed her hand on her head, “Oh, owl boy…”

“Still calling me that?” He rolled along with the warm hearted banter.

From behind them, she heard Shinsou Osiris speak in a manner similar to when he commanded his military. It gave Felicity a sense of discomfort. “Who is this, Felicity?”

Felicity turned towards him, face burning as she considered the potential of being untrusted by him. After all we’ve been through, do you think… Her teeth grinded together as her anger grew rapidly fast. “Osiris. Relax. I know him!”

“Felicity.”

Felicity turned to see the snow haired boy sitting up straighter. His chair finally was back on all four legs as he sat up with a face of concern. It was obvious to any outside observer that he understood her temperament just as well as anyone acquainted with her. Even more. He sat there, giving Felicity a warning look. “Don’t let perceived personal offense lead you astray.” He warned her.

Feeling herself grow hot and uncomfortable, Felicity looked down as the young man spoke to the two men watching these interactions. “I will tell you who I am.” He spoke aloud. Felicity turned to see Storm and Shinsou watching them with deep interest and thought. The boy spoke from behind her.

“I am Gweneal, son of Jomil. I am the Thayne of Time.”

Felicity looked back up at him pointing at himself with his thumb, his light face carrying a hint of a smirk. “You have me to thank for getting Felicity to join your Brotherhood. You’re welcome.”

He then leaned forward, his face rapidly fading into something more somber. Even the bright energy of his face dimmed in a supernatural manner as he placed his hands on the desk. “Who you are searching for is no time mage. This means two things right off the bat.”

He lifted one hand, pointer finger signaling to himself. “One: I cannot help you directly. Indirectly, yes, I can give you information if desired. But I cannot lift a finger in a magical or physical manner here.”

Then, he pointed upwards, shaking his finger. “Second: you have been lied to. Looking back through time, I perfectly see it all. I know who and what Arius Mephisto is. And I am warning you, he is already here.”

His finger circled around, signaling the entirety of the Brotherhood’s city. “He has infiltrated you long ago. He has stayed here, unchallenged, and knows every secret you carry close to you. He can switch hosts at will, and he could be anyone.”

Gweneal then crossed his arms. “And his last host was Canen Darkflight.”
    Last edited by Flamebird; 01-30-2020 at 07:59 PM.
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Ride The Lightning

EXP: 166,794, Level: 17
    Level completed: 83%, EXP required for next Level: 3,206
    Level completed: 83%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,206

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    The entire course of events was a tornado, and it left the wizard even more confused than he had originally imagined. He had jumped like a frightened child at the entrance of the large owl, and hopped backwards in what felt a very natural reaction as the bird then somehow metamorphized into a handsome, pale looking young man. When the man-child began speaking, identifying himself as a Thayne, it felt all too much. Storm moved about the room nervously, feeling claustrophobic in the small stone enclave as the outside world had effectively disappeared.

This shit’s going sideways too quickly for my liking. I thought the Thaynes were effectively Gods upon Althanas, not like this half-assed callboys with a parlor trick up his sleeve. Is this “Gweneal” full of shit, or not?

Like a nervous tiger, Veritas moved back and forth, marching in a tight circle as his eyes didn’t move from the intruder. Logically, it bore to reason that the newcomer had to be honest, as invading a room with this trio was unequivocal suicide for all but the most powerful creatures upon Althanas. Creatures like a Thayne, or apparently like Arius Mephisto.

“Hold the fuck up.” Wisdom came after reaction, whether he enjoyed the outbursts of ignorance or not. “So the girl I just met brings in a fancy owl, who flies in through the god-damned window, flash-changes into a sun-starved oracle, and accuses a friend of Shin’s I just met of being our enemy. Am I following this correctly?”

He felt his own nostrils flare at the audacity of the moment. The only sound beyond the echo of his gravelly voice was the clacking of his shoes upon the floor as he moved. The white-haired Adonis was expressionless; Felicity some blend of angry, scared, or exasperated. Vaan Osiris also wore the emotional cocktail of betrayal and confusion, swirled with a pinch of amusement at Storm’s own bewilderment.

Hopping bodies sounds only a short-and-curly shy of time manipulation on the scale of harmless to skinning-our-asses-alive. So glad this little shit could enter and give us some riddles before we all die.

The chest of the electromancer felt tight at the consideration of events. He felt his mouth dry as he attempted to track out the magnitude of the claims made by the boy.

“OK, son, riddle me this, then. How do we know when he hops hosts, then? Do we just start interviewing random villagers? ‘Excuse me, blacksmith, but are you by chance a shape-shifting demi-warlock that I’ve been hunting for a few months?’ “

His hands clenched at his side, irate anger manifesting in electric energy that buzzed from his fingertips in tiny white tendrils, like water dripping from a man fresh out of the bath. The sizzling sounds of electricity were faint but distinct, as the patience of the aging magician had worn perilously thin. The newcomer straightened his arrow-like spine even further as he prepared to speak, before being cut off curtly.

“Don’t answer that. It doesn’t fucking matter. As I see things, we have a singular objective – Arius Mephisto. He can show up in multiple forms, or time travel, or fly or turn butterflies into meteors or whoever-the-fuck-knows what else. I don’t care. He still has holdings, and he still has friends.”

A darkness seemed to fall upon the face of Veritas as he pulled his graying hair back against his scalp. A wild look in his eyes conveyed the sincerity and conviction behind his ideas.

“No more cat-and-mouse. I’ll flush him out in whatever form he wants by taking everything he has in this world and tearing it down. You can retain some plausible deniability if you’d prefer to stay behind; if you come with I suggest you leave the training wheels at home.” His eyes darted to the impetuous new general with a quick note of frustration. In the eyes of the villain, the time for half-measures had ended.

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Whilst Felicity Rhyolite experienced first-hand what it was like to be on the wrong end of Storm Veritas’s frayed nerves, Shinsou looked back at the pair, and then at Gweneal. Although outwardly characteristically calm, his senses screamed at him, begged him to get some sort of rationality back into proceedings. The sudden appearance of the Thayne of Time through an open window assailed his normally substantial powers of reason, and, as if that wasn’t enough, the revelation (if it was indeed a revelation) that Canen Darkflight was either a current or previous host for Arius Mephisto felt like a punch in the gut.

Then, there was the small matter of Veritas. The electromancer’s patience had understandably crumbled like a dry sandcastle, and Shinsou knew him well enough to know when the tobacco smoking wizard was about to go feral. Perhaps it was the sheer acceleration and enormity of events overwhelming his coping mechanisms, but even the street smart Veritas hadn’t thought this through.

“Right,” The Telgradian interjected, pinching the bridge of his nose and scrunching his eyes as he attempted to break everything back down into logical truths, “Everyone stop for a fucking minute. First things first; Storm, I know there’s a lot to take in here but we haven’t the first idea who his friends are or where his support is coming from. If we did, we’d have hit them hard long ago. So, unless you know something I don’t, we would be going out there, wanton, with no roadmap. He’s probably waiting for us to do something fucking stupid, on the hoof. Let’s not make his job any fucking easier.”

Shinsou hated reproofing his friend; not for fear of repercussion, as there had been many times where the pair had stood on each others toes over ‘creative differences’, but because he understood Storm’s frustration. Shinsou wanted to go out there and burn down Arius’s world right alongside the wizard. He wanted to make sure that his was the last face Arius saw before he died like the miserable shit he was, but this bastard was a clever one and the Telgradian had no doubt the man was waiting for them to get emotional and make a mistake.

If Storm got out there and got killed on the heat of the moment, Shinsou would never forgive himself. He pursed his lips and nodded Storm an almost apologetic acknowledgement, before turning to address the ethereal presence of Gweneal.

His golden eyes narrowed as he looked into the pearly whites of the childlike apparition. The Telgradian should have feared the Thayne. It should have been a natural feeling for a mortal to tremble before a deity, but his experiences with Joshua Cronen and their destruction of the greater Thayne Draconus in Scara Brae numbed him to the anxieties that one would feel when dealing with such power. It was an air of invincibility that he probably did not deserve, but one that he nonetheless carried with him, and it was then that Shinsou forgot he was not talking to a child, but the Thayne of Time.

“Let’s get some actual facts we can use. His last host was Canen Darkflight? Does that mean current host? Last host but one? I don’t know if you’ve noticed but we’re situated in a packed village here, a bit more detail would go a long way here, if you’d please,” Shinsou said harshly. He couldn’t see the expression on Felicity’s face, who clearly couldn't believe the way the pair of them were addressing the Thayne.

“That’s all I can tell you,” Gweneal replied, without a mote of emotion in his voice, “Canen was the last host.”

“So, is this a case of can’t help us, or won’t?” The Telgradian accused. “Right now, we have to make a decision as to whether or not Canen is an unassuming vessel for the weapon of Arius Mephisto housed at its heart. If he is, and we overlook it, we’re in trouble. Tell me, Thayne; beneath all that divine indifference to mortal life, could you stand to see Arius’s sword pierce her heart? Or are you happy to sit there, uninvolved, like many of the pantheon around you?”

There was no response as Gweneal’s eyes followed the tip of Shinsou’s outstretched finger to a bewildered Felicity. The Telgradian’s eyes flashed with a stern anger, but the feeling didn’t translate a tone of voice. Instead, he almost whispered his retort.

“I've experience with the Thayne. I have been fortunate enough to have met those within the ranks of the faithful, like Joshua Cronen, who truly do wish for a greater good. There are those of you who mean the best for the people. But then there are ones like you, and Draconus. Murderers, if not by intent, then by omission. The only difference between you and that dragon is that I doubt you truly realize what you're doing.”

That thought guided him back to the man currently under house arrest in the Brotherhood complex, Canen, and it was then the Telgradian felt something . It was abnormal, and extremely painful, like a blade being forced into his gut. Gritting his teeth, the confused Shinsou tapped into his spirit sense. Each life in Whitevale appeared to him in terms of colours. Most were blue, but both Veritas and Felicity were green, signifying a much higher than average spiritual or magical potential than the average human. ‘Specials’, Storm jokingly called them. But in a small corner of Whitevale, in the prison block where had Storm had once had to beat two men to death with their bare hands, a new colour resonated. It was eclipse shaped, and swirled with marbled lilac hues that every now and then released a fork of white. Whilst Storm and Felicity gazed quizzically at the Telgradian, sensing that something was up, Shinsou tried to make sense of what was happening, sweating from the pain in his stomach.

“Something’s going on in Canen’s cell block. I can’t make out what the fuck is happening, but it feels like-“

Shit. Fucking shit!

As his words trailed off, Shinsou’s eyes swerved from the floor and back up to Storm and Felicity.

“Canen’s dead. It has to be that son of a bitch! Let's get over there quick. I don't care if we have to kill every guard in that block to make sure we got him - let's just fucking get there, now!”

It was irony manifest, although he hadn't spotted it. The same darkness that overcame Veritas now seemed to fall upon him too. The same wild eyes, the same salivation and urge pulling him like a cosmic magnet towards ending the life of his most loathed adversary were all present.

Now, all they had to do was get to the prison block before Arius was lost to them forever.

Nuclear Rage

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    Thud!

Felicity fell on her back, finding her way vision resting on the white ceiling of a strangely clean clock tower. As the sound of moving gears clamored in her ears, she turned her gaze to the figure approaching.

"Honestly, Lassie, I am not used to my human form. Yet, I defeated you."

Gwenael's human form bent forward, offering a hand to her. His ethereal eyes alone hinted at his Thaynehood. His orange orbs were filled with ten million stars it seemed; ageless and vigorous, yet old and weary all at once. His expression, however, was cheerful as Felicity took his hand. It was strange, how casual and comfortable she was with him. This Realm of the Thayne was bizarre. Time seemed totally out of since, with even seconds seeming to pass forever. This sparring session had still lasted but a moment, however, and a short moment. Despite how strange this place was, Felicity felt rather sound with Gweneal here. When Gweneal was in this tower of his, training her in combat and showing her how things worked around here, she felt so much more confident. It took no time at all for her to feel close to him. Then again, her desperation for love could of caused this swift attachment as well. As he pulled her up, she jokingly retorted. "You are a Thayne."

Gwenael scoffed, looking away as the brilliant light in his eyes dimmed just a little. "Barely."

The clock hands struck twelve within that moment. The heavy bell echoed around the building as the light hearted air of their training session dissipated.

"Gwenael?"

Gwenael looked at her again with a somewhat older look to his features. His face glowed less, and his skin was no longer so smooth. His white hair had turned an earthy grey as he frowned. "Jomil does not even accept me as her son. My mother disowned me."

Felicity's heart began to ache as their eyes met in kinship, "You know that pain, Felicity."

Felicity nodded, yet found her pain transfer to anger for her friend. His eyes turned blue, as opposed to his more natural amber. It was his "mortal" eye color. He felt like he was so much less than Felicity knew he was. Outrageous!

"But who cares!" she demanded.

The bell began to quiet down as she took a step closer, stomping on the marble floor. "So what if she forsook you? If you don't matter to her, don't let her matter to you!"

Confusion swirled in his deep eyes as he looked slightly downwards. "But she is a Great Thay-"

"-Shut up!" Felicity's forehead met his with a headbutt as he stepped back in shock. He held his head as he could barely look up to her. Disbelief and indignation flooded her as she spat, "You are a Thayne! Can't you retaliate against even me?! A mortal!"

It was pathetic! A Thayne was refusing to stand up to someone far weaker! He was better than this - or he should be. Disgusting, how lowly this young deity felt. Her own rage over the racist society she grew up with, the mother that disowned her, and the state of cruelty and malice of the world was overbearing. She needed to fight it! And Gweneal needed to fight it as well. Especially since he was so much stronger. He was a Thayne!

She glared at him with ferocious sympathy. Even if this was harsh, she desperately tried to repay him the kindness she showed him in her own way. "Start acting like the god you are and demand some respect! From the Thayne, and especially from mortals! Gwenael, you are a Thayne! Lesser, Greater, who cares! You are a Thayne!"

His eyes flooded with tears, blue eyes turning deeper as his skin turned smoother, lighter, once again. Hope…

~~~

The stiff atmosphere of the room was heavy as lead. The girl looked down to the floor, her entire body hot as her face flushed red. Her body vibrated as her hands twitched. Rage. He was a Thayne! Yet, this Storm Veritas dare speak to him like this! Shinsou too! Felicity trusted Shinsou! Yet, here they were, treating him like he was below them. How dare they! Her personal attachment to the Lesser Thayne boiled as her heart came near explosion, her eyes near tears. At this point, she was so disconnected from reality, it was Shinsou practically screaming that brought her back. He cusses, shouting that someone was dead and they needed to move that instance. Her eyes widened as she heard footsteps on the wooden floorboards. The two leaders of the Brotherhood were snapping into action. Without pause, without apology.

"Felicity," Shinsou called in the stern voice that hastily became familiar today, "Come on!"

Felicity's dry mouth felt sowed shut as she looked up at him. She could barely see his expression through her tears, but some sort of reaction caused him to step back. "Fel-"

"-Lassie."

Their heads both snapped in the direction of the Thayne. Gweneal's eyes ever held that ancient knowledge and sage inner clock as he spoke steady words. He stood up, walking across the desk as he maintained a relaxed posture. How could he be so calm! He practically was degraded moments ago! "It is time to move. Go-"

"-Shut up!" Felicity screamed. All the anger from these last several minutes were unleashed in a roar strangely inhuman. She did not realize it, for she did not know, but it was deathly similar to the scream of that raging monster of nuclear energy, violent and terrifying to all that beheld it. She stomped on the floor, the boards crying out in stress as she came close to him again. He stood a small bit taller as their faces were inches from each other. Her last footstep completely shattered the floorboard, yet she did not notice as their eyes met. Her seething anger met his concealed indignation. Even through her hot tears, she could see how he truly felt about how he was just treated. Yet, once again, he did not fight.

Pathetic.

"You're a Thayne!"

His eyes narrowed, the clock working within them dimming as those stars inside swirled in arcane glory. "Now is not the time for this, Lassie. There are more important things to worry about than my stupid Thayneship."

She headbutted him in jerk reaction, "It's not stupid!"

"Felicity." Without a flinch from the pain of their collision, he glared at her. His voice grew more stern as he amber eyes glowed, a hint of his true power. "Go after Arius. We will finish this later."

He lifted his head from her, standing tall as his entire body seemed to hum in energy. "I will be right behind you."

Felicity realized how different this reaction was from that fight before. He was… assertive… he knew how to be assertive now. And suddenly, his previous words made sense. Her tears doubled as logic sunk in. How on earth could he, and she, worry about being worshipped and revered when the greater good of Whitevale was on the line! She looked back at Shinsou, who was watching to whole thing, and her anger melted away. Replaced by embarrassed shame.

Her next words were more of a whisper than she realized. "I'm sorry."

Without another word, she darted out of the doorway. Surpassing Veritas, who was at the bottom of the stairs, she bolted from the office building as she reached and wiped her tears away. She then turned her head in the direction leading to their destination. Her vision was still blurry, and the sky was unusually bright. Even here, her magic affinity gave off warnings of incoming doom. She followed it, racing towards where Canen was kept.
    Last edited by Flamebird; 02-21-2020 at 05:33 PM.

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Ride The Lightning

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    The wizard had experienced a wave of emotions that ran the gamut from rage to embarrassment to fear and once more to fury. The omnipresent power of the Thayne was unimpressive to him; for as powerful as the ageless little paleface might be, he wasn’t doing a damned thing to further their desperate position. When they were given word of Canen’s disturbance, they moved without word, or opportunity to reconcile the differences exposed amongst them. For now, there was only a flourish to get to the cell before Arius could escape.

Storm Veritas couldn’t recall if his feet touched the stairs on the way down to the cell. Flickering yellows of metal-caged torches guided the path to the cellar, as the normal smell of must was replaced with something that hid him with a wave of acrid resolution.

Shit. Too late.

Indeed, the thick, muscled frame of Canen Darkflight was no more. Standing back to take inventory of the moment, the electromancer could find no hint of the enemy that had made his hands buzz and hum. Instead, a bizarre mass of meat, bone, blood and skin was heaped upon the floor with the skull-less face of Canen draped atop it, a soft flap of flesh.

“Is he… Is he dissolving?” Aghast, the mage covered his mouth as he stepped backwards.

The mass continued to lose its humanity. It appeared that the bone mass left first, as apendages bent soft and limp about impossible angles as a sizzling sounds hissed away. The overall size of the heap continued to shrink inwards, the mass of musculature fading and skin tones blending into a singular beige hue.

The girl moved past the wizard, bold and brazen without a touch of fear. Had she seen this before? Shinsou had arrived at some point; whether he had found Canen first or after Storm seemed immaterial at this point. Canen was bound to him; they were true brethren. The normal stoicism of the Telgradian was lost here, as Vaan Osiris’ nostrils flared and eyes widened. Like a wolf, his lips curled back in a snare of horror and rage, the brilliant warrior trying and failing to repress his visual fury.

This will ruin Shinsou if he doesn’t process it. I know the path of that type of loss handled poorly… that way lies darkness.

Interesting, the peculiar little General seemed to be taking in the information in a manner that seemed very procedural. Almost devoid of visual cues, she assayed the area for information, appearing to mentally document each and every element in a smooth, systematic fashion. Storm could avert his eyes from the grotesque display to steal a long glance at her.

Heh. Maybe one of us can keep their shit together.

The question lingered; it was obvious but needed a voice.

“Mephisto… how did he get out?”

Viator Mundi

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    The peach tint in Shinsou's balled fists drained to white as his fingers clenched inwards; the fingernails carving purple, bruised crescents into the skin, such was the force of his rage. It was completely uncharacteristic of the Telgradian to lose his cool, but now he had simply had enough. Arius had out-thought and out-run them at almost every opportunity, despite the Brotherhood's best efforts, and now the wily little shit had done it again. Canen Darkflight was nothing more than a crumpled, smouldering heap of flesh in the centre of a Brotherhood detention block, and for all of their collective power and abilities no-one, including Shinsou, could have done anything to prevent it.

Storm's question was pertinent but almost now irrelevant. Even so, the Telgradian felt he had to state the obvious.

"I have no idea, Storm. No idea at all. And I don't know where he is now, because I can't sense him anymore." The tone of the reply contained notes of anger and resignation. Mephisto was in their complex, in their home, and no-one amongst them could do a fucking thing about it. Even the so-called Thayne of Time seemed utterly unhelpful, whether by design or simply because even his powers were in some way limited. How many more would be torn apart by this unseen force, like Canen? Would he just hop from man-to-man like a virus in the township until there was no-one left?

The concern suddenly sparked to life the beginnings of an idea. Canen had mentioned that Arius's own body had crumbled, and that he was likely looking for a suitable replacement. Whilst Canen's own body clearly did little to sate his appetite, there were only three other suitable candidates amongst the Brotherhood who could serve as a vessel for Arius. Finding a new host had to be the reason Mephisto had come here, for what other reason could the dark wizard have for loitering amongst his enemies?

Shinsou looked down at his feet, hands on his hips, whilst Felicity and Storm raged in debate behind him.

"Storm, Felicity, we have to contain this. I think he's searching for a new body; something powerful. Canen mentioned this to us in my study, so why else would Arius be here?" The Telgradian's eyes flitted between Felicity and Storm. Whilst the redhead was still getting to know him and was none the wiser to where he was going with this, the ageing wizard could already tell what Shinsou was thinking. Osiris held an apologetic hand up to his friend, already aware of the reaction he would get.

"It's either me, you or the kid. The shit that Arius has brought down on Corone, on us, is on me. I recruited him. Makes sense that I be the one to put that right."

"What?" Felicity suddenly cottoned on, raising her head towards Shinsou sharply. "Shinsou, you-"

"Look," The Telgradian interrupted, "In the absence of a better idea, I'm going to offer him a deal, out in the open. The contract is that he gets my body, you two live and he walks out of here. But here's the thing; once he's in one place, in one vessel, you get him and put an end to all this."

Flickering whites in the electromancer's eyes told of his utter disapproval of the plan, but deep beneath Shinsou felt that even his best friend knew this was the best way.

"...You know it, and I know it. We have to finish it."

The Telgradian walked to his friend, clasping a hand on his shoulder to reassure him, despite not even being sure himself whether the plan would work or not, or whether they would even accept his proposal. Their eyes met one more time.

"No-one wanted this, but me and you both know that this only ever ends one other way. We can't give away the whole store to save one guy, and I'm done with us all doing our best work after the fact. This is the best way; get him in one place, then drop the weight of the Brotherhood on this motherfucker once and for all."

Nuclear Rage

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race

View Profile
    Dreadful foreboding overcame her being as Shinsou dared to suggest what he just did. Dumb with shock, Felicity stood there, silent, as Shinsou turned to walk out of the door.

No...

Images of a her cousin, brother, being cut down before her eyes flickered as if a reality.

No...

The message of her uncle dying from a stroke, alone, rang in her ears.

"No-"

Tears streaked down her face as her heart rate soared. "Not- agai-"

Her breathing grew rapid, heavy, as her chest pounded in growing pain. She hardly recognized the physical ache compared to the agony inside, however. Numb to the body decaying before her, her lips parted in a desperate attempt to pull in air. Inside, oh, it was happening again. Again. Someone she cared for was...

Her tears fell to the stone floor, pounding like rain. Steady anger rose in defense, Shinsou's footsteps growing fainter as she managed to pull in a gust of air between her panting. She turned, like that, and grasped his arm so intensely, one of the sleeves shredded. She knew not of that, however, as she screamed.

"No!"

The man stopped, silent. Did he watch her? Did he face the door? As she looked to the ground, vision growing strange in color, her breathing ramped up again. Rambled, panicked words tumbled from her mouth in a distorted manner.

"No- o- not- again- again not, a-"

Thu-thud!

A loud gasp was emitted as a hand grasped at her heart. This pain was so severe, the throb turned into something unbearable. This was the girl who could survive her lungs being torn from her frame. Yet, she fell to her knees, still clasping the white sleeve of Shinsou's coat. All light was hostile as her body throttled out of control, the panic inside overtaking her core. The full weight of a psychological disorder, one of extreme anxiety, pounded her into a pit of terror. Not again... not again... She could not lose someone again...

"You have more potential than I think you realize. I want to help, if I can. What do you say, Felicity?"

She had assumed the fetal position on the floor. Unresponsive.

She did not even realize that she sensed a sudden, fourth magical presence in the room...

~~~

Should I aid them? The Great Ones told me not to mettle, yet this is spiraling too fast... if Felicity losses...

... I feel her ache like it is my own. - Mother, I am no longer cold.

Mother... I may have to disobey you. I am sorry.
    Last edited by Flamebird; 04-02-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Felicity Playlist.

Ride The Lightning

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Plans. Always great on paper, and then they make good kindling when shit hits the fan.

Shinsou had moved forward with an idea that had made plenty of sense. It stood to reason that Mephisto was trying to occupy a powerful entity, if the bald-headed incarnation had grown old, weary, or tired to him. Perhaps the incredibly powerful entity had taken Canen Darkflight for a test-drive, or used him as a mole to gain closer access to the Brotherhood. It then followed logically that the entity of what they knew Arius to be simply jumped ship from Canen to some poor sap guard that found himself in the bowels of the stone keep, and said guard served as a fairly anonymous escape hatch. This would have left the wreckage of flesh that lay before them, but also more questions than answers.

How does he move from body to body?

What was wrong with Canen’s body?

Why should we trust the word of the lump of rotting flesh, knowing full well that it was cohabitated by a time-traveling wizard with a hard-on to kill the Brotherhood?

Again, the lack of rules or understanding of what boundaries existed bothered Storm Veritas, who had attained near godly power within the known perimeters of Althanas. He merely wished to rule alongside the equally reckonable Shinsou, the tandem well complimented in leading this faction with tremendously powerful monster-people like Hayate and now this Felicity character. Naturally, it could all be torn asunder in a snap should Mephisto’s reach and abilities be as overpowering as he suspected. As such, there was no harm in humoring Vaan Osiris for his heroic and selfless gesture; it was a shot in the dark no worse than what the electromancer could create from whole cloth.

Storm had conjured an acceptably disapproving glare for the plan as the Telgradian explained it, fully aware that a quick and acquiescent approval would be entirely off-brand for the salty old bastard that Veritas had come to be known for. Mentally, he half-listened to the instructions of his dear friend, planning to push back upon the plan gently to show sufficient concern and respect for the man who’d saved him many times.

…and, should by some miracle you’re actually right and Mephisto is out body shopping, one peek at my lungs and liver will send Arius bouncing out for a fresh start instantly. Maybe we can make him stick in Shinsou long enough to fry the bastard.

Would that even work!?

In the cell, the hush monotone of Shinsou’s very serious planning had gone uninterrupted for too long. The stout young prodigy named Felicity then delicately made her way to the ground like a bag of rocks, yelling defiantly into the void in protest of a voice that none could hear.

This development went over poorly.

…and she’d DEFINITELY not fucking crazy.

Curling into a ball, she appeared to be catatonic; a possum dead by the horse-cart.

…hell of a hire, Shinsou. She’s clearly cut out for this intensive, high-stakes work.

Candles still painting her face flickers of gold and scarlet with their dancing licks, the girl was reduced to a rag doll on the floor, alive in perpetuity but devoid of changing expression or nuance.

“A big part of your plan, this radiation? Should I wheel her out behind you like luggage, or can you carry her in a fucking backpack?” Storm’s voice was beginning to hiss as his frustration and exasperation bubbled to the surface. He knelt to check for a pulse and breath, finding both strong, but he remained confused and irritated by her apparent seizure.

“I trust you, but I certainly don’t trust… well… that” the wizard explained, gesturing to the still decomposing heap of Darkflight. “Whatever he told you and two crowns are worth enough to buy a copy of The Radasanth Reader. How can we trust his word, when we suspect he was… you know… fucking infested with whatever we guess Mephisto is bouncing around as?!”

Sizzle cracks whispered echoes up from the prison cell harmlessly to the world above as the mage’s fingers pulsed with involuntary energy. Shinsou began to push back a bit, an assertive yet balanced voice against the growing rage.

“In the absence of a perfect plan, we go with what we can best understand. If you have better intel, then we’re certainly all ears.” It was a clever trap, playing into the arrogant wizard’s desire to be the smartest man in any room, when he was clearly at times the dumbest one in an outhouse.

This silenced Storm Veritas for a moment as he paced, careful not to step on the rotting carcass of Shinsou’s friend nor the motionless lump of Felicity. His frustration continued to sizzle within him, flaring his nostrils and sending shivers of electricity down his spine.

“Well, ‘perfect’ may be unattainable, but I need a little more evidence before I commit to sacrificing you. We still don’t know the gods-damned rules, about who or where he is, what body he occupies, or what he’s planning. We aren’t worth half a shit for predicting his next move, so I say we go offensive with what we can do…”

A maniacal fire was burning within Storm now, as he envisioned closing the gates of Whitevale and killing every soul within its woody walls. The Brotherhood’s magic was capable, and execution very much within the scope of his scheming. It was a terrible thing, but a lost city could save the world if it brought an end to Arius Mephisto’s anonymous reign of terror.

Fortunately for the high-wire act that was Storm’s psyche, and the health of all Whitevale, a fourth entity lingered silently, unseen about them.

Viator Mundi

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Arius Mephisto's strategy was working.

Sure, things hadn't gone exactly to plan up until now. Since Tylmerande, his original bald headed vessel had succombed to illness, and in order to preserve his existence Arius had been jumping from body to body relentlessly since then. Each one had varying levels of longetivity, but the ethereal being theorised that most mortal bodies were unable to handle his spirit and were decaying at a concerning rate. The constant body-switching was frustrating but it had worked to his advantage, keeping the Brotherhood on the back foot and allowing him to get in close to his enemies.

Canen's body was no different than the others, and had been a waste of time as far as its suitability was concerned, but the distraction of his death had created enough of a window of opportunity to dive into a guard and escape before his pursuers could notice. During his time in the complex, it had not escaped his notice that the yound redheaded girl accompanying Shinsou and Storm had a summoned a wildcard; some sort of Althanian deity, or a close approximation of one.

One with a physical body.

The possessed, armour clad militiaman his spirit now occupied cast his gaze over the bastion of the Brotherhood from atop the church's spire. A dark sky loomed over Whitevale now, with rain falling in sheets. It spattered atop the massive bell tower of the abandoned that stood in in the town's centre, running in rivers down its carved troughs.

Arius sat, perched on the bell tower's ledge westernmost ledge, reflecting on how best to now execute his plan. This new body smelled of shit and stale sweat, but was simply a stop-gap. By his own admission, Shinsou had been his first choice, though there were more powerful bodies he could have taken. Storm Veritas, for example, had shown exceptional power and athleticism, but his age and condition ruled him out as a long term option. Philomel van der Aart had been another candidate, but her unusual biology and the complexity of her connection to the spirit fox she called Veridian would have made the possession impossible to maintain. The one called Felicity Rhyolite would be too incompatible. She was unstable, both in terms of psychology and the nature of her magic.

Shinsou, however, ticked a lot of boxes. His time with the Telgradian meant he had studied him thoroughly, learning his abilities and his weaknesses. Osiris was still young at thirty four, had an ideal physiology and commanded powers that were similar to his own. Furthermore, he had put himself in a position of power at the head of Corone's most notorious paramilitary organisation, and had resources to spare.

Well, the ones Arius hadn't syphoned off.

But that was all before the appearance of this Thayne, the perfect choice.

Gweneal.

A door at the end of the bell tower creaked open in the wind as the madman in Whitevale uniform got himself to his feet. Time was not on his side, so it was vital that he got his prey exactly where he wanted them.

The powerful wizard closed his eyes and concentrated. The telepathic thought he had prepared would carry far enough to reach Osiris, and he knew that the Telgradian had no wards in place to prevent this communication, nor work out the source of it. Two years was a long enough time to find these nuances out.

I've been waiting for this day, Shinsou. I've watched you work, come to understand your motivations, but beneath your mask of logic I sense a fragility. Even with all of your power, all of your resources, you've been unable to overcome me. Yet, I can't kill you. You and I are bound together on a journey that will twist the very fabric of nature. If you want to find me, widen your gaze to the that which makes time stand still for all of Whitevale. Only when you have done this will I reveal myself to you.

Shinsou hesitated as Felicity collapsed in a PTSD fuelled episode, almost unresponsive, as he had hammered out his plan. He had seen her have bad turns before, but she had never done it in front of Storm before and the Telgradian cringed as his eyes caught the electromancer's furious gaze.

There was no time, though, to make comment or to assist her. With a distant look of worry in his eyes, Shinsou could suddenly hear the words of his tormentor. There was no choice but to let Arius speak with him. Unlacing his folded arms and calming his rage, Storm picked up on his friend's sudden unease.

"What?" The electromancer asked.

"It's him. He's talking to me. I can't stop him from doing it." Shinsou stepped out into the hall from the cramped cell, holding his head. "He said if we want to find him, we need to widen our gaze to that which makes time stand still for all of Whitevale. He'll show himself once we've done that."

The Telgradian kneeled down next to Felicity, trying to get the dead weight to her feet, as Storm planned his retort.

"Great, more fucking riddles. Is he talking about a place? Where does time stand still here?" Storm predictably smarted, "He could be talking about anywhere, or he could be just trying to fuck with us while he makes his escape. We've got nothing."

"Not where, but who." Shinsou replied, attempting to shoulder the redhead. "I think he's noticed Gweneal, which means he's watching us from wherever he is. The riddle implies that he knows that Gweneal is the Thayne of Time..."

Storm turned to look at Shinsou. As the rain hammered the roof of the detention block, Shinsou's eyes swivelled to the fourth entity in the room.

"...and the Thayne of Time would be my top pick for a new body."