Name
    Tyr Vythari
    Race
    Human

View Profile

February Vignette

Rules

1. One submission per character.

2. All entries have to be within the declared period. Editing your post and completely changing your submission is okay as long as all the edits occur before midnight EST on the closing day.

3. The moderator judging the monthly vignette contest may post a vignette at the end, but will not be eligible for first or second place.

4. Only on-topic vignettes are liable for rewards. The topics are broad enough that no character should be particularly limited.

5. PCs must be involved in all vignettes. How "canonical" you choose to have the events of the vignette is up to you.

6. All participants receive EXP. The top two finishers also receive GP. (Clarification: this excludes off-topic submissions, as per Rule 4).

7. Entries are assessed on the following merits:

Use of topic: Did the writer use the topic, or write something completely random and off topic?

Creativity: Did the writer make something unique out of the topic or was it more cliche?

Mechanics: Basic writing mechanics: spelling, grammar, punctuation, word usage, etc.

Notes: Additional comments.

Prompt:

Roles have switched. Your character is now you in the real world, the author, and you are now your character.

You, as your character, experience some form of love within the world of Althanas through your character the writer. Remember to write this as your character would!

Vignette closes at the end of February 29th, 2020
    Last edited by Tyr; 02-04-2020 at 07:41 PM.

Newcomer

EXP: 1,520, Level: 1
    Level completed: 76%, EXP required for next Level: 480
    Level completed: 76%,
    EXP required for next Level: 480

GP

Name
    Mikael Leviasi ia Saiph
    Race
    High Elf

View Profile
    Mikael Leviasi ia Saiph & The Writer(Me!)

Something was off, the only thought that reverberated in his head as Mikael attempted to figure out what had happened. It was quite a sudden change, the attachment he once had with the Magical Lore of his family was severed almost utterly, while the magic that was welled within him remained it had this most particular sensation. His eyes adjusted to sudden change of light and perhaps most importantly the rather odd smell and taste of the air around Mikael.

Mikael struggled slightly, the jarring air was only compounded by the sounds of what he guessed were horns and a low thunder of what he guessed was over a thousand people walking around. The buildings around Mikael looked to him rather strange, constructed with either brickwork or wood, and in other cases he noticed smooth marble and plenty of clear windows. Mikael quickly walked through the crowds, he felt the eyes of many humans around him but it appeared they were too busy to notice him.

Why are they dressed so strangely? Mikael though felt that any questions were not going to receive any answers. The air was simply terrible but Mikael worked through it until he finally reached a small patch of green, grass and several trees that looked oddly out of place within such a city of massive buildings of concrete and metal. Regardless Mikael walked into the area and relaxed some as he looked at himself properly and noticed his own change of clothes, his pants had a certain harsh rugged sensation, while the jacket around his shoulders was a tad too light to offer much protection from the cold air that whipped around Mikael.

The bag that slung across his shoulder held something rather heavy and it appeared as a strange black rectangle, it looked folded like a book and Mikael checked the other pockets and wondered what other strange devices he would find on his person. Maybe even an idea as to where I am.

Maybe life had a funny way of dealing with bad people, or maybe life simply didn’t care who the joke was on just that the joke existed. Regardless of which was the case The Writer woke up groggily with massive headache and a near unimaginable searing pain that ran across his entire body. With a careful intake of breath and slow movements The Writer managed to sit up and rubbed his forehead gently with both hands. Despite the movements causing more pain to erupt in his body, the gentle caress eased his throbbing head somewhat, and through clenched teeth The Writer continued to breathe vigorously.

What happened? Was all that racked his mind, even as the pain dulled and the headache slowly disappeared, something felt off with his body and head. He’d broken a leg before, and even his arm (twice) and later a pinched nerve but what he had just suffered through was something else entirely. Almost like I just bathed in pain for a while. . . and why does the air taste strange? The Writer groaned as he slowly stood up, his eyes blinking to adjust to the sunlight around him. Even as he continued to breathe and he felt ‘normal’ as one could be, the air remained strange if not just foreign.

There were a lot of trees, and almost clumsily The Writer moved underneath the shade and sat down next to one of the trees. His head resting on the bark, he took a few moments to breathe evenly and finally the pain that seared all across his body dulled completely. Now with the major concern off of his mind, he took a moment to look around and noticed something else was different. My clothes? It was rather strange feeling, gone was his denim jeans and cotton shirt and now he felt something different from cotton, similar but different.

“Is this how leather feels?”

The sudden use of his throat sent a small sting of pain down his system, but it left as quickly as it came and after a moment of clutching his throat The Writer eased himself back up. The land around him was nothing he had witnessed before, despite the forests of his hometown, this area simply felt different. Much more alive? It was like the forest was singing to him in some aspect. It was. . . magical.

His fingers felt along his clothes, the intricate patterns woven along with the simply gorgeous pieces of jewelry adorned on the leather was something else to The Writer. He traced one of the patterns along the leather pad and something began to be pulled from him, it was rather subtle but The Writer reflexively pulled his finger back down to his side. That’s not normal. But as he peered at the bag and looked through the items, something felt oddly familiar, the symbols reminded him of something, something he was certain he knew.

“No.”

Mikael pondered a tad, the screen in front of him displayed just too much information, which was a strange feeling to the young studious Elf. Too much information? Oh how Ayveriel would be laughing at me. Mikael pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed deeply as he relaxed into his chair for the third time in one hour. Regardless how much time he was spending on the laptop, something he had come to learn from a few confused humans, there were things he couldn’t comprehend. Like, why can’t I provide the power-source? Why must I plug it into a Rune Spirit Port?

Life’s many questions, and Mikael was dissatisfied with the answers, and especially the ones that were; “Just Because.” With a click from his tongue, Mikael continued to search through the Internet, a rather amazing tool that even he had to admit, such ease of information transference and the sheer magnitude of it all had taken the young Elf aback earlier. Fascinating, I wonder if such applications are possible within my home world?

Regardless of his thoughts of such applications, Mikael slowly started to type down his own thoughts, a way to both practice his typing as well as adjusting to this new world and leaving notes for himself. This was reality for him, and perhaps an inkling of doubt remained that this could be some elaborate dream but such magic seemed beyond his comprehension. Regardless, he needed to figure out a way to either get back home or pass the time, and it appears writing was an excellent way to go through many of the hours of the day.

"What's valentines?" Mikael asked out-loud to mostly himself.

The Writer moved along the forest, his head turned towards any sound of animal, everything felt uncertain. But he felt a certain wistfulness about it all, and his body had a sense of exhilaration, that somehow his body not only felt lighter but as well energized. A different feeling, something really indescribable for me. . . The Writer laughed at himself, he had developed quite the vocabulary these past years and here he was left speechless of what was happening all around him.

“Magical?”

The word alone caused another fit of chuckles as he sighed despondently as he kept walking, perhaps he’ll find a city or some sort of civilization soon. But perhaps not too soon. . . The Writer stopped, the thought that had emerged stunned him, he had always walked with purpose, to head somewhere. He simply stood there, enjoying the sense of wonder and amazement, perhaps it was only an inkling, but perhaps this was something more, something akin towards love even?

Administrator

EXP: 10,042, Level: 4
    Level completed: 21%, EXP required for next Level: 3,958
    Level completed: 21%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,958

GP

Name
    Tyr Vythari
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Closed for judgement. Please bear with me as I've been ill the past few weeks. I set out to get this section caught up around that time and got nailed. I started working on it again today. Thank you so much for your patience.
    Last edited by Tyr; 03-16-2020 at 11:32 PM.

Administrator

EXP: 10,042, Level: 4
    Level completed: 21%, EXP required for next Level: 3,958
    Level completed: 21%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,958

GP

Name
    Tyr Vythari
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Mikael

Use of Topic- I was curious and even kind of excited to see how the community would write out this topic, and you certainly didn't disappoint. You gracefully carried me through each element I was looking for with this prompt and you even added some that I enjoyed. I had to go take a peek at your character registration to see if Mikael would be educated enough to write this remotely close to how you and I would, and I can see him having that ability. Which could of just been a coincidence. :P (Speaking of your character registration: it's been caught and we are working on getting that visible to the community again. It's definitely still there, but it seems only staff can see it right now. Please feel free to PM me for details and updates.)

Creativity- Beautifully done here. I enjoyed being pulled into your creative mind, through not only the point of view of Mikael, but through The Writer in this Vignette entry with a light and fun atmosphere. I wasn't expecting that going into this. You painted both point of views vividly without swamping me with descriptions and details throughout both worlds which was certainly refreshing.

Well done managing to keep the transition smooth without utterly stabbing the pacing which can be difficult to do with shifting worlds multiple times. I enjoyed the snippets of the personalities within the new worlds and what each were experiencing, discovering new things in both(That one with Ayveriel laughing at you and the Valentine's tribute was a nice touch). A form of love was definitely found with both. Nice job.

Mechanics- I'm not going to harp on this area due to the fact our characters were supposed to be the writer, and I can't expect our characters to be knowledgeable with Mechanics. I think you did well with staying true to your character throughout this prompt. It was definitely a fun read!

Mikael wins by default, as his was the only entry! Congratulations!

Mikael receives:

200 EXP
    200 GP

Rewards Added

Thank you so much for your patience and participation! Hope to see you 'round these parts again!
    Last edited by Tyr; 03-23-2020 at 12:26 PM.