GP

Name
    Hanuh Lulia Icebreaker-Tabor Toivonen
    Race
    Mostly human with some elf

View Profile

Momento Tempus

"Mummy?"

A woman in a yellow dress turned from the counter. In my vision, I saw her smile as she wiped a dish.

"Hanuh?" She beamed, "What is it dear?"

I looked down at my little hands. I knew, we all knew. that this was my adoptive family. My real mother had tasked my grandfather with protecting me, as she could not. Still, as much as my childish mind could think, I wondered... I loved my family, but I had another one out there as well.

"What she like?"

From behind me, I heard a heavy cough. Turning, I saw my adoptive father slouching on the couch. I pushed the blond strands of my hair aside as he looked up at my after the forced cough. He smiled, "Only your granddaddy met her."

"I know!" I shouted, lifting my arms and throwing them down on the wooden floor below. I pouted, like all children do, then heard footsteps behind me.

"Honey," my new mother sighed, "What have we said about throwing tantrums?"

I turned, feeling sheepish, at the woman whose arms were crossed. Her eyebrow was raised, I felt my body temperature rise. Before I could say anything, however, the door opened. The woman looked up and beamed.

"Hey, father!"

I felt the cool breeze of the evening wind fluffing my hair and blowing my dress. Turning, I saw a thin, elderly man at the doorway. Pushing up his glasses, the man closed the door. He appeared exhausted, looking back now. In the moment, however, I pulled myself up and ran to the man, "Gran'pa!"

He let out an oof as I barreled into him, squeezing his legs with all my strength. I looked up, seeing him smile down at me with eyes that, now, I recall being filled with nostalgic sorrow. He bent his wrinkled hand down, scuffling my hair. I winced as he spoke me name fondly. Pulling away, I rubbed my head as he lightly chuckled.

"Hanuh!" My mother called. I turned to see her carrying a bucket of water. "Come wash up, sweetie."

Supper! I turned as darted towards the kitchen as fast as my chubby, toddler legs could carry me. As I scrambled onto the wooden stool to wash my hands, I heard a loud bang on the door. Every head turned to eye the door. Immediately, another heavy pounding resounded. Something inside me felt strangely disquiet. It was as if my instincts flared within the moment, telling me to run. My father sighed, pulling himself up from the cough.

"Shop's closed, you ungrateful patrons, don't come here for-"

My grandfather lifted his hand to stop his son, turning to him with an intense look I had never seen before. More and more, I felt the urge to cry, run, or something...

"Son," He narrowed his eyes, removing his glasses, "Get the spea-"

The door swung open forcefully. I heard myself scream as my mother dropped the barrel. As water splashed across the kitchen floor, another form of liquid spilled onto the entrance's. A terrible liquid, which I just saw for the first time.

Blood.
    ~ Songs of Hanuh ~

"Set my world on fire
    Cause I want to watch it burn"
    - Glasslands, Deadman.

Adventurer

EXP: 2,295, Level: 2
    Level completed: 10%, EXP required for next Level: 2,705
    Level completed: 10%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,705

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    "Father!"

My mother shrieked as my father stood in horrified awe. In the doorway, a man stood there. As my grandfather fell limp to the ground, I saw the man holding a knife. This man carried strange smells I had never tasted on the roof of my mouth before. I could barely see his eyes, just looking down on the figure on the floor. Was this traumatizing? Oh yes. My little brain was simply unable to process that my grandfather was...

"Get up!" I cried out to him, "Gra-"

My mother darted in front of me, holding a kitcen knife, I had never seen the look on her face before. She turned to me with a rage I had never felt before, a fear I just now was growing accustomed to, and a desire to protect that only a mother could feel. "Hanuh! Run! Out the back, run like never before!"

"Witnesses?" We turned to see a second man enter the doorway. He was way different than any man I had seen before. He was a dark elf, with strange colored skin and pointed ears. His blond hair swayed from the cold drafts outside. He held an axe, similar to the one father used to cut wood. But... it was different...

"Kill them all."

My mother screamed. As my father called in protest, she rushed the men with the knife in her hand. I stood, stunned, as the knife was grasped by the human who had first entered. Everything slowed as the dark elf raised his axe and brought it down upon her.

More blood.

It fell like rain, red droplets of thick liquid on the blue carpet. This... what was this... was it real?

"Hanuh."

I turned to see my father rolling up his sleeves. The usually exhausted, lazy man looked so, so somber. I would never forget that face. The face of a man who had lost everything in a flash, but showed no signs of crying as he knew he would join them. Determination flared in ice cold eyes as he seemed to internally vow to protect the one loved one he had left. I would never forget the calm yet passionate tone in his voice.

"Listen to me. Run. Run and never look back."

Run? How-how could I? Where would I go? Before I could cry out to him, run, or do anything, the man I called daddy raced in front of the assailants and grappled the axe. I... I took a single step back, but fell down as the stool I forgot I was standing on slipped in the water. I fell, looking up as two blood covered figures stalked towards me. My father laid limp behind them.

That was the day I died.
    ~ Songs of Hanuh ~

"Set my world on fire
    - Glasslands, Deadman.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    "Wait."

The two men, who had loomed over me with red stained weapon, turned sharply to see a third figure enter the room. Stepping over the corpses of my loved ones, this dark elf had jet black hair and dark blue skin. The air he brought in was one I never felt before, but would feel for the rest of my time here. He clasped his hands behind his back, entering with inquisitive eyes. "Look into her eyes."

Confusion crossed me as the two men turned to me. One scoffed, raising his axe. "So what!"

"Wait," the human spoke, pointing at me. "Her eyes are like ice."

Ice? What did they mean? I sat there, trembling with tears falling like never before or ever again. What did they mean? DId I care anymore?

The third man entered. The two others parted as he walked straight up to me.

Fear took over. I scrambled to my feet, trying to race back only to fall over again. Tears raged like a river as I cried out. "Go-o 'way!"

The man instead bent down, looking upon me with a calm, delighted face. He... he smiled...

"You poor thing." He spoke. I vibrated as he reached out. To my stunned surprise, he held my cheek with the gentle nurturing of my family. "You had to grow up in the presence of traitors. I will save you."

"Sir?" One of the men from the background gasped,

The elf ignored him, gazing into my eyes with a strange, hypnotic gaze I could not escape, or wanted to. His words swirled in my young mind, causing confusion and peace at the same time. I was... calm... I had just seen my family brutally murdered, but I was calm. Why...

The man placed a second hand on my shoulder. "You see, child, this family is headed by a man, Daisuke Toivonion. He betrayed me and the country of Alerar. He had to be removed."

Removed? The word echoed in my mind as the man lifted his hand from my cheek, taking my back and pulling me closer.

"I never intended for a child to see it. I apologize. Please..."

My eyes widened as tears disappeared from my eyes.

"... Follow me, little one. I will show you the meaning of everything."

To this day, I have little knowledge of what happened then. He had obviously used a form of magic to soothe me. The events that should of been traumatizing should of crippled me. Instead, they faded as old memories from a life I did not have anymore. Strangely, I feel the sting of their deaths, but not the crippling fear that would follow. To this day, I look back to see the comfort of those orange eyes soothing me, brainwashing me on the spot. That was the day I became his tool... that was the day I died.
    ~ Songs of Hanuh ~

"Set my world on fire
    - Glasslands, Deadman.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile

Some years later...
    ~ Songs of Hanuh ~

"Set my world on fire
    - Glasslands, Deadman.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    The Mountains of Dawn, also known as the Orodrim Anoron, was where I grew up. Due to the wars of the Undead a long time ago it was mainly uninhabited by travelers. Still, there were ruins from the war which remained. Some provided perfect hiding for one unwilling for his prize to be discovered by anyone. Within a tiny valley the size of a village, a long abandoned tower stood alone. A more primitive structure of elves, who knows which kind, this was much more simple than later designs. Quickly abandoned for the easier paths and main road cities such as Valinatal, this tower maintained strong architecture and served as the perfect hiding spot. This was Amon Fole, the tower of secrecy.

It was the perfect home, perfect hiding place, perfect prison.

Amon Fole was rather lavish inside. My master had made sure the top floor was comfortable. It had pillows, high class furniture, wardrobes and vanities. The master bed was my resting place, my place of refuge.

The second floor had the kitchen and some living space. I usually perused leisure on the top floor, thus I barely use the couches and seats there. I even ate my food on the other two floors. Still, the kitchen was the place where I prepared my own food. It served a simple but much needed purpose.

The bottom floor, and outside, were where I trained. I learned to fight there. Many weapon and armor were lined on the walls, many dummies and targets were set up. I trained in many things, melee to missile. Pole arms and stavs soon proved to be my go to, although I also knew how to use bladed and blunt melee weapons. I also proved to be a solid shot, using bows and crossbows and throwing tools effectively. Still, it never seemed to be enough to appease my master. At the age of eleven, I was training under his supervision as usual...
    Last edited by Ignis Glaciesque; 04-08-2020 at 06:59 PM.
    ~ Songs of Hanuh ~

"Set my world on fire
    - Glasslands, Deadman.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    My foot slammed into the dummy.

"Harder!"

I lowered my leg, in the perfect stance, then kicked again.

"Remember your speed!"

I danced between one side and the other, holding my arms up in would be defense against the dummy.

"Do not let up! You are my daughter, my legend!"

Sweat slid down my frame, making me rather uncomfortable. My light clothes were drenched in salty liquid. My curly hair was tied back, I panted heavily. Still, I kept pressing on, beyond normal human limits.

"Continue! Hanuh!"

My throat felt like it was on fire, I desperately desired a drink of some kind. Still, I lifted my shaking leg and continued my training.

It went on and on...

"Switch to your arms! Punch!"

I snapped from one position to another with perfect smoothness. My stance shifted like flowing water as my fist slammed into the dummy. The straw object shook from the impact, I kept going.

"Now cut!"

My hand turned flat as I continued on and on. He kept shouting orders, I kept following. My body screamed at me to stop, but I kept going.

"Stop!"

The moment he let me go, I fell to the floor. Panting heavily, desperate for air, I heard footsteps. My mentor bent down to me, handing me a canister of water. I hastily gulped it down, agony soothed at last. As I sat on the floor, ready to completely collapse, he spoke.

"You are improving incredibly, child. Soon enough, you will be the beacon I have hoped for."

My limp hand dropped the empty canister. I felt myself smile as he praised me. His praise did not come lightly.

"However, you are not ready yet." He stood up, wiping the dust from his pants as he walked towards the door. The mountains surrounding the tower kept it under a permanent canopy. Just outside, a cool lake awaited. As the sounds of rustling waves were heard in the distance, he continued his speech.

"Tomorrow, I will teach you how to tap into your family's powers."

I gasped, head shooting up as I felt my cheeks grow even more hot. At last! He always told me I had special genetics, a unique family tree, yet he refused to let me know about it until I was adequate enough as a martial artist. This was why he was praising me! I smiled as my heavy breathing continued. After he let me have my moment of joy, he reminded me. "When I come back, I want the next two chapters of all your studies to be completed. Understand?"

"Ye-es, sir." I rasped.

"Good" He took another step, ready to leave. Still, the age old question echoed in my mind. I had to ask, I just had to!

"Did you know my parents?"
    ~ Songs of Hanuh ~

"Set my world on fire
    - Glasslands, Deadman.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    He turned to me, his eyes unreadable. To my disappointment, he shook his head.

"Unfortunately, your father died soon after you were born."

I frowned, one eye half closed in my exhaustion. "Mother?"

The dark elf frowned, "I knew her not, I just know about her from legends."

Legends? What legends? My master must of seen my eyes glow, for he entered the room again and leaned against the stone wall. "Your mother's name was Ayleth. She was a mighty warrior, a fighter for justice." He lifted his hand as if holding something, though he held nothing. "She desired to see the wrongs of the world made right."

I soaked in every word, desperate to know more. As I sat there, shaking with sudden chills, I gulped down his words like life sustaining water. "She was the Executioner of the Wicked. She made criminals pay for their actions, while the innocent were protected by her hand. She used her elemental powers to protect people, and her mighty sword to punish all who opposed them."

My breathing was lowered to a still, slow movement as he spoke of this glamour. "She was a hero."

He pushed himself off the wall, then turned to the door. As he left, he spoke one more thing to me.

"Hanuh, you must follow her footsteps."

With every ounce of my being, I craved to.
    Last edited by Ignis Glaciesque; 03-20-2020 at 03:11 PM.
    ~ Songs of Hanuh ~

"Set my world on fire
    - Glasslands, Deadman.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    The shallow waters swirled around my boots. The ankle length lake was clear and precise. The stones, gravel, and small fish were perfectly visible as I looked down. Light rain danced across the water's surface, causing my curled hair to grow a tad bit damp. On the land beyond, wearing a cloak to stay safe from the drizzle, my master gazed onwards. Secret thoughts were locked behind a stoic face. I knew not of what they were, and something inside me told me not to care. Just follow.

"Your family powers are instinct, Hanuh."

As I felt myself shiver under the dreary, grey clouds, I lifted my head to him. He spoke.

"It is the same as breathing. You already know what you need to do. It's bound in your genetics, ingrained in your very being. All you need to do is follow your natural compulsions.

I looked down to the water once again. The fish swimming along were oblivious to me as I stood icely still. I reached my hand out, letting rain drops splash on my palm. I could shape ice, I could harness fire. Inside, I felt myself burn with a strange intensity as I focused on the water in my hand. Cold steam arose as pain shot through my nerves. The steam swiftly dissipated as I lowered my hand. Perhaps, freezing ice on my own skin was a bad idea.

"Hanuh."

My head snapped to face my lord with unnatural impulse.

"Freeze the water."

I looked downwards. Fish of white and orange complexity were swerving around my boots. I felt a pang on the prospect of possibly - Pain.

-

-Pain. A sudden pain bolted through my head. Like a headache. I reached up suddenly and grasped my forehead. What... What was this?

"Hanuh."

The pain remained as a dull throb as I locked my blurred vision on his frown.

"I saved you. I brought you in. Do not thank me with your useless hesitation."

I winced away from his gaze, feeling my insides melt in sharp shame, as he berated me with his stillness.

"Obey."

I extended my hands in that very instance. I felt myself fixated, as if under some influence, to please him. My fingers shook as steam arose from them. Inside, my nature took over as I called upon my very fight and flight to aid me. Just like that, sheets of jagged, frothy Ice bolted from my body. Like a shockwave, the ice in all directions froze solid. Life was stripped from the fish attempting in vain to get away. Yet, my thoughts were elsewhere as the fringed, sloppy ice finally slowed and stopped. At approximately sixty feet away, slushy water circled between the ice and unaffected waters.

I looked down, seeing the fish frozen in place in their frosty graves. I felt... bad... I had obeyed, yet...

"I'm... Sorry..."

"For what?"

I turned to see my master smiling. The rain prevented me from reading his exact expression, but he smiled. "You are remarkably gifted. You are a fine soldier."

I nodded at his praise, yet felt no joy as I lifted my leg from the pool of water I stood in. Standing upon the frozen water, even as the rain hid his eyes, something struck me as... frightening...

That smile was more like a snear. An overjoyed, selfish snear.

Yet, my head still felt echoes of that strange pain. I blindly followed him into Amon Fole again.
    Last edited by Ignis Glaciesque; 04-08-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    ~ Songs of Hanuh ~

"Set my world on fire
    - Glasslands, Deadman.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    “Why did the ancestors of the new elves leave Raiaera?”

I shifted as I sat in my bed. “It was the rise against ignorance. There was a group of elves disgusted with Raiaera’s reliance on magic and ancient religion. So, they formed their own group. When they were outcast by the magic worshippers, they migrated to what would be called Alerar today.”

My master closed the book gently, nodding. “Very good.”

I looked away from him, unsure why. As I looked outside the window of my room, I took notice of the birds flying happily in the air. It struck something in me I could not describe. Yet, my mind was pulled back to the tower as my master spoke from his chair. “It is nearly time, Hanuh.”

I turned to look at him again. He was sitting gently in the wooden chair, legs crossed as he placed the book on the stand next to him with quiet grace. His eyes narrowed as he watched me. “You have not yet mastered your family’s true power. However, you are a remarkable fighter; and, of course, your knowledge and education are top notch.”

Nervous anxiety flooded the me. I nervously pulled her hair behind my ear repeatedly, awaiting where he was going. I knew he always had plans, but this was the first time he let me in on it. I waited, anxious anticipation causing my chest to flutter. I squeezed the wooden nob at the edge of my bed. The dark elf smiled, it was something that made me… unusually uncomfortable… yet, I listened to his every word like the good servant I was.

“Hanuh,” He lowered his head, “I will be taking control of all of Alerar.”

My heart exploded for a moment. I grasped the nob of my bed corner tighter than before. I looked up, a strange sense of doom flooding my mind. “Isn’t that trea-“

-A headache. A headache pounded in my brain again. I reached up and clasped my forehead in pain. Another one? These headaches came about occasionally and I loathed them every time. I looked up at my master, as if he could somehow alleviate them. My vision was blurred, I was unable to read his expression.

“Treason?” Even if my vision was blurred, I could still see him place his hand on his heart. “Hanuh, why would I betray my people?” He got up, walking towards the larger window of the room and looking outside. “I am saving them.”

I still grasped her head, tears flooding my eyes, as he spoke. Despite all the pain, his words were clear. “King Edari’axa was a fine leader, his child on the other hand…” He shook his head, “King Edari’exe is weak. He cannot lead his people like the sloth he is. No…”

My master clasped his hands behind his back. My headache was finally starting to die down as tears fell from my eyes. “It is bizarre for someone to become a Graf, let alone a Freigraf, without being born into it. I am one of those few. The Freigraf was incompetent, and no one in his family was fit to replace him. Thus, I spent in and saved the day like a glorious eagle.”

I wiped the tears from my eyes as he continued. “Now, I am the second most powerful person in my beloved country. From a simple alchemist, to a leader And now, I will be the leader.”

I looked up to see him clenching his fist as he gazed outside. Determination swelled in his confident face as he turned to me. It struck me on the spot. “And you, child, will be my personal guard in all of this.”

He turned to face me; hands clasped behind his back. “It had taken me fifteen years to rise to this moment, but I am confident this coup will succeed. I have allies, I have the support of the people. Now, reform shall reign!” He nodded to me, I felt her head steadily throbbing in a mild, numb ring. “And I hereby proclaim you my personal protector. You will be responsible for my safety in the fight for my rightful place. I trust you shall succeed.”

"Hanuh, your time has come."
    Last edited by Ignis Glaciesque; 04-28-2020 at 09:58 AM.
    ~ Songs of Hanuh ~

"Set my world on fire
    - Glasslands, Deadman.