Thread: Deef

Deef

Name: Deef
    Race: Human
    Height: 6’2”
    Weight: 190

Personality: Grizzled. Poignant. Somewhat aloof. Many prisoners suspect Deef was a former combat medic, as he shows all the telltale signs of PTSD: irritability, hyperviligence, anxiety and anhedonia, but his medical skills are second to none. Beneath his strange exterior lies a genius-or a sociopath. His hatred for magical creatures is staggering.

History: Deef does not discuss his past, even with his closest prison mate, Rike. What is known comes from other prisoners. Stories vary, but all of them suggest that Deef has been in the prison for a very long time. Younger prisoners all recall he was present at their incarceration day. Older prisoners, mostly elves and demons, dare not say his name. This is because he and Rike are members of the Pride. Founded by Ogun, who is also incarcerated in the same prison, they believe that magic users are the source of all of Althanas’ plight. Due to his medical aptitude, Deef became the defacto prison surgeon. This role has generally protected him from the wrath of his captors, and their hands off approach has enabled his racism. He will still “treat” non-humans, but few survive. To non-humans in the prison, Deef is known as the “Gorgol” or Butcher. Becoming sick as a non-human is a death sentence.

Appearance: Deef’s long hair is mostly gray, but there are hints of pepper suggesting his hair was once black. His beard, also gray, is mid-length, extending to his sternum when his head is erect. Like most prisoners, Deef is malnourished, but his lingering frame suggests that at one point he was incredibly muscular. His fingers are calloused. He has cut his fingers so many times while operating that they no longer bleed. He wears his standard white prison issued shirt, slacks, and long coat

Skills: Medical/Biological knowledge- Deef has expert level medical knowledge, including of non-humans. He also has full knowledge of the flora and fauna of Althanas, allowing him to quickly identify the causes of poisons and illnesses in patients.
    Chemistry – With the proper time and ingredients, Deef can create a host of common ointments, cures and poisons, which can be used to help or harm his patients.
    Knife Play – Steady hands and advanced knowledge of anatomy have made Deef deadly with small blades. He could just as easily cut a capillary to release an aneurysm as he could cut the carotid artery to fell a man.

Abilities: Deef boasts twice the endurance, agility and strength of a normal man.

Equipment: Deef has cobbled together a makeshift iron lining for his prison jacket. While it can hardly be considered armor, it does offer protection from the routine prison shanking.
    Last edited by D’If; 03-30-2020 at 09:43 AM.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    Hello and welcome to Althanas!

It's great to see new characters all the time, and yours certainly looks interesting.

However unfortunately characters usually start with iron railing at level one, so I'll need you to change your knife metal. And can I please ask you to specify D'if's jacket metal to iron as well.

Thank you.
    Phi
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.

Your guide says players are allowed to start with a large weapon, a small weapon, a full set of armor, and 10 “moderated” items. It says higher tiered items can be allowed on a case by case basis at the expense of abilities. I withheld a long weapon, took a single piece of armor, took no “moderated” items, and picked basic stats for a mostly useless knife, yet you let Rike through with bombs? Lol, whatever, I changed it.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    Hello D'if

It is usual that a level one character would start with iron or steel, rather than prevalida. At the moment your abilities come to a significant portion of your points allowed for a starting character, as agility, strength and endurance are all separate abilities. If you would like to start with prevalida then I can take some starting gold off? Else you can upgrade your dagger in the bazaar.

Thank you!

Phi
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.

I will acquire the knife some other way. Is the character ready to play?

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Hey D'If.

Just stepping in to cover Philomel here. You're good to go, although you are still welcome to select a weapon up to steel tier to start with and I'll wait for you to confirm before we approve and lock up.

As an aside, Prevailda, as Philomel mentioned above, is a higher tier material not usually found until a bit later on. I do think however we as a site need to do more to clarify the limitations at the start, as not to muddy the waters, so thanks for pointing that out. I need to discuss this with staff on a general level but I think we'd be prepared to settle for anything up to Damascus with ability sacrifice. Again, though, I'll have that discussion behind the scenes.

I've added your starting GP of 200. Hit me up over PM if you have any other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by D’If View Post
    I will acquire the knife some other way. Is the character ready to play?
    ^

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by D’If View Post
    ^
    Fair enough, was just giving you an opportunity to reconsider a starting weapon.

You're approved, and good to go.