Akashima idled away the years as ever it did. Though free of the tyranny of the Shogunate, its people found new chains to bind themselves in. Freedom of thought, as Lilith discovered, had its own shortcomings. The populous had never had to think for themselves, following law and dictate blindly since Akashima gained its independence.

“I’m getting tired of being blocked in Senate over trifling differences.”

“This is what you asked for, Mistress. You must find a way to overcome these challenges.”

The nekojin sat opposite smiled and bowed, dutiful to the last. Even as her family scattered to the winds and the very fabric of her home came undone, by her side he remained. Even death had not stopped his servitude, too stubborn to die if she still breathed.

“Neko, you’re unsufferable sometimes.” Lilith looked out the window at the downpour. “But I welcome your loyalty.”

“A contradiction if ever I heard one,” the cat smiled. “Shall I pour us more tea?” He gestured with a paw to the tea set on the table between them.

“No thank you. Even tea has become less a ritual and more a burden. All the things we used to find peace in are gone.”

“…you are going off tea?”

Lilith had spent nearly a decade as the paragon of the Senate, guiding it towards the true return of democracy in her homeland. Resistance at first was strong, a bastion of ignorance baring progress. Only once the Shogun’s palace was burnt to the ground and the restorations complete from the wrath of the Oni did she gain ground.

“It’s just not the same anymore. I think it’s time for a change of scenery.”

Neko wrinkled his snout. “You are nestled in the lap of luxury amidst a new frontier. No one dare touch you. Yet, forgive me mistress, you want for more?” He began to clear away the cups onto a bamboo tray.

“Oh don’t lecture me, I know how it sounds. Let us go out.”

“Out?”

“Out. You know what I mean. Go out on the town. See the city we’ve worked so hard for come alive.” Lilith pushed herself up from the mound of delicate pillows and stretched her legs.

“If you’re referring to the naitokurabu on the east side I have to decline.”

Neko referred to the entertainment district, a hodgepodge of okiya and bars in which the hard-working citizens, as Lilith oft put it, ‘let loose’. Neko had only heard of the tales spilling out from them like nightmares. They were the very epitome of freedom of expression.

“Then allow me to rephrase,” Lilith waved her hand over her face and a delicate porcelain mask appeared in the visage of a fox. “You and are are going out.”

Neko finished clearing away their afternoon tea and rose, tray in hand, and grimace on his face.

“You’re already drunk on power, mistress.”

“There is always, always room for more alcohol.” She nodded. “Put that down, we can worry about it in the morning.”

Lilith twirled on the spot and her simple nightgown transformed into a nine tailed mix between her two selves: fox and geisha. It was the perfect disguise for a world of masquerades and misanthropy. It was also the perfect veil to allow a senator reprieve from her own infamy.

“But mistress, I have nothing to wear.” Clad in a simple tunic and loose pants, Neko looked every bit the spirit-warder. “You go on, I’ll finish the speech for the summit with Corone.”

Lilith stared intently, light dancing outward from behind her mask. The expression on her friend’s face was a mix of sour disgust and fear.

“Fine. Suit yourself. I’d say don’t wait up, but I know you will.”

She flicked her tails one after the other, flexing her muscles and channelling her newfound power into the air before her. Lilac and lavender filled the air and lingered in Neko’s nostrils long after Lilith stepped through the fiery portal. Neko stared at where she had stood for several minutes, wrestling with following her or retiring early to meditate. Torn, he set the tray down and ran off to his chambers to find something suitable to wear. Every step he mumbled curse words in ancient tongues, wishing for a return to the days when swords did the talking, not senators.