Name: Preston Fletcher
    Race: Human
    Height: 5’ 7”
    Weight: 150 lbs
    Eye Color: Blue
    Hair Color: Brown with highlights of gray
    Facial Hair: A full, short beard with streaks of gray

Personality:
    Preston is an incredibly laid-back person on the surface, it takes a lot to spook him or cause him to panic. However, there is still a lot he doesn’t know about the world. He tends to make jokes or speak his thoughts out loud more often than not, which as gotten him in trouble quite a few times. He loves the finer things in life, after spending most of his time around expensive goods from weapons to jewelry. However, he has always resented that everything was for sale and none of it was something he could keep for himself. In that way, he is a bit of a collector of fine things and would rather keep what he finds than sell it – unless the price is right.

History:
    Preston was born the second son of a loving mother and a stern father. His father spent a lot of time traveling around Corone and Scara Brae conducting trading deals and bringing new wares back home, anything from weapons to jewelry. Mr. Gerard Fletcher, his father, was a man who was more interested in the trade than a family, but spent a fair amount of time with his two sons teaching them about the merchant trade. Both Preston and Jace learned how to mind the store, make deals, buy and sell items, and find new things to bring to the store. It was a favorite of Mr. Fletcher’s to have a yearly prize for whichever of his sons ended up finding the most valuable or unique item each year. Preston was particularly good at that challenge, but often found himself preoccupied with other aspects of life.

By the age of 28, his father and mother finally explained to him that he would need to find his own way in life. The shoppe which had been built onto over the years to serve as an inn alongside the shoppe, The White Dove, was going to be given to his brother Jace when his parents retired. Preston, slightly annoyed but understanding that his brother was the eldest, decided to take to the road and explore the world of Althanas to find out where he belonged in the world. His path would be decided by those he came across, the experiences he gained, and the knowledge that would be imparted to him.

As he left for Scara Brae, he took with him only what he truly owned, asking nothing of his family for assistance...

Skills:
    • Archery: Preston has messed around with it, but only as a haphazard hobby…
    • Swordsman: He has practiced with a sword in the past for fun, but isn’t quite sure how to use it in a fight…
    • Daggers: Preston is much more comfortable with long-knives or daggers than anything else. They are his weapon of choice. He’s nowhere near a professional level, but he knows which way the blade goes and how to hold it correctly.
    • Fist fighting: Preston has had to get into a couple brawls as a kid growing up, but it is a sloppy, unrefined street fight at best. The dirtier the better - including use of whatever is around him if necessary.
    • Fletching: He can make his own basic arrows if absolutely necessary, but requires the components to do so
    • Languages: He can speak common. He can understand elven and dwarven enough to get what someone is talking about but has very limited ability to speak it or read it.

Abilities:
    • Mercantile: Preston is a born-and-raised merchant at heart, he has a love for buying and selling things (or keeping the finer things) which allows for him to have a 10% increase in sales or decrease in purchases ((cannot use in the Bazaar to purchase and then sell items))
    • Evaluation: He can look at a lot of different items and roughly evaluate their worth – within a 20% range. This does not include any additional properties that an item might possess such as whether it is magical or allows for additional ability impacts.
    • Sixth-sense: Preston’s sixth-sense is a random feeling of whether a situation is dangerous or advantageous. It is just a heightened feeling of dread or enthusiasm based on the situation.

Inventory:
    • Kukri: A smooth steel blade that is curved and heavily weighted towards the tip, roughly 18 inches and 2 pounds, with a simple leather wrapped hilt
    • Recurve bow: A smooth, single piece of Yew with a curved appearance when not strung. The bow is 52 inches and has a draw weight of 50 pounds. Accurate to shoot up to 50 yards, but accuracy is dependent on user.
    • Quiver: Simple leather quiver, can hold up to 20 arrows
    • Arrows: Basic quality cedar arrows – 10
    • Clothes: Nothing spectacular – pants, vest, long sleeve white shirt, shin-high leather boots, belt with spots for weapons and coin purse or other items, long cloth cloak with hood, elbow-high leather gloves

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Hello there Preston, and welcome to Althanas!

Most of the profile looks good - I like what you've got going on here. I just really need to get a bit of clarification on the abilities Evaluation and Sixth Sense.

With Evaluation, my main concern is that this ability (if approved as it is) could be used to override standard, Althanas-set pricing of materials. This, coupled with your Mercentile ability, could well land you a 30% discount if you were to "under value" an item by the 20% threshold. With this in mind, can you please clarify how this ability is intended to be used?

Sixth-sense seems overly vague, and seems more of a skill than an ability, but I'd need to know to what degree this "gut feeling" can possibly give Preston an advantage or disadvantage. For example, is this feeling always active and able to alert him, however slight, to danger? Or is it more off-hand than that?

Please let me know on the above and we'll hopefully have this approved in no time

Althanian

EXP: 1,484, Level: 1
    Level completed: 75%, EXP required for next Level: 516
    Level completed: 75%,
    EXP required for next Level: 516

GP

Name
    Preston Fletcher
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Mercantile is basically just for purchases, or sales of items that he has acquired through quests.

Evaluation is just a vague, guesstimate for items. He can't tell exactly what it might be worth, but can get a vague guess as to the value. It would more be like a person who sells jewelry seeing a diamond ring and guessing at it's worth without doing a thorough evaluation. I could guess the ring is $8k, but without looking at the diamond it could be plus or minus 20% of that. I was thinking that it would be more like if he sees a weapon or other item in a quest he could guess at it's worth to whether he wants to take it or not.

Sixth-sense is a gut feeling, like anyone has, but it is a little more pronounced and typically acted upon. It is definitely more off-hand than anything. That doesn't mean that he knows when a situation is advantageous or a disadvantage every time. Example: he stabs an opponent and it would seem like he has an advantage due to the wound, but that person becomes stronger when they're injured - he wouldn't know that but he would have a good feeling about the situation. On the other hand, if he knows of a famous Althanas member from rumors he would feel far more at a disadvantage in a situation like that due to their rapport, whether that's the case or not.

Viator Mundi

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Mercantile is basically just for purchases, or sales of items that he has acquired through quests.
    No problem with this at all, thank you!

Evaluation is just a vague, guesstimate for items. He can't tell exactly what it might be worth, but can get a vague guess as to the value. It would more be like a person who sells jewelry seeing a diamond ring and guessing at it's worth without doing a thorough evaluation. I could guess the ring is $8k, but without looking at the diamond it could be plus or minus 20% of that. I was thinking that it would be more like if he sees a weapon or other item in a quest he could guess at it's worth to whether he wants to take it or not.
    As long as this ability does not affect the base tier price of requested spoils, bazaar items or any other standardised Althanas materials, I have no problem this this. If you DO want this to affect prices of items (and not just guess them), you'll need to re-word the ability in future with some clear definitions of what, by how much and how. For now, though, I would say this is more of a skill than an ability and therefore won't count towards your TPL.

Sixth-sense is a gut feeling, like anyone has, but it is a little more pronounced and typically acted upon. It is definitely more off-hand than anything. That doesn't mean that he knows when a situation is advantageous or a disadvantage every time. Example: he stabs an opponent and it would seem like he has an advantage due to the wound, but that person becomes stronger when they're injured - he wouldn't know that but he would have a good feeling about the situation. On the other hand, if he knows of a famous Althanas member from rumors he would feel far more at a disadvantage in a situation like that due to their rapport, whether that's the case or not.
    Finally, on this ability, are there any limitations or activation clauses? Or is this a passive ability that is active 24/7?

We're nearly there, buddy.

Althanian

EXP: 1,484, Level: 1
    Level completed: 75%, EXP required for next Level: 516
    Level completed: 75%,
    EXP required for next Level: 516

GP

Name
    Preston Fletcher
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    No worries man. I can move the Evaluation to the skill section so that it can't be misconstrued as an ability, especially since I have no intention of using it as such in the future or changing it to become an ability. It is purely to assess the worth of an item, not to change the worth of an item. I would even be willing to change that +/- percentage to something higher initially so that it doesn't impact other people or the Bazaar too much.

Sixth-sense is a typically active 24/7 ability, the same as a normal person always has the fight/flight instinct. However, certain circumstances such as those associated with intense emotion would trigger it. You don't have a fight or flight while doing mundane things like driving, but could be hit by another car that is completely unexpected. Those mundane, daily activities aren't directly affected by this, unlike if Preston is say... in an unexpected or uncomfortable situation, where the sixth-sense of the fight/flight instinct may come into play. I would be happy to update this as well. This ability has no intention of changing from it's base at this time.

Honestly, I have no intention of giving him any abilities. If it's not from a moderated item he acquires in some way, Preston has 0 latent magical ability. If that is in any way a potential decrease in how his abilities are interpreted I would be happy to add that into that section as well. Either way, please let me know and I'll be happy to make some changes to whatever you see best!

Viator Mundi

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    i think we're good to go on this, pal.

I forgot to mention above - Mercentile is fine at 10%, but won't be approvable above 20% in future, as that's the maximum we allow on incentive / discount / cash boosting abilities. Just something you may want to bear in mind for future level ups!

Other than that, you are now approved! Thanks for your patience