Name
    Tyr Vythari
    Race
    Human

View Profile

December Vignette

Welcome to the December Vignette!

Prompt

Your character receives an unexpected gift that could be out of the ordinary for them. How does your character react to the gift? Are there any retaliatory elements? Remember, the gift could be absolutely anything. Good or bad.

Vignette Close Date

December 31, 2020 at midnight EST

Rules

1. One submission per character.

2. All entries have to be within the declared period. Editing your post and completely changing your submission is okay as long as all the edits occur before midnight EST on the closing day.

3. The moderator judging the monthly vignette contest may post a vignette at the end, but will not be eligible for first or second place.

4. Only on-topic vignettes are liable for rewards. The topics are broad enough that no character should be particularly limited.

5. PCs must be involved in all vignettes. How "canonical" you choose to have the events of the vignette is up to you.

6. All participants receive EXP. The top two finishers also receive GP. (Clarification: this excludes off-topic submissions, as per Rule 4).

7. Entries are assessed on the following merits:

Use of topic: Did the writer use the topic, or write something completely random and off topic?

Creativity: Did the writer make something unique out of the topic or was it more cliche?

Mechanics: Basic writing mechanics: spelling, grammar, punctuation, word usage, etc.

Notes: Additional comments.
    Last edited by Tyr; 12-04-2020 at 07:09 PM.

Adventurer

EXP: 3,232, Level: 2
    Level completed: 42%, EXP required for next Level: 1,768
    Level completed: 42%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,768

GP

Name
    Aribus (Dracon) Wren
    I found it on the threshold of the door of the shack, a small box wrapped in colorful paper, a christmas present. I was intrigued, and cautious no one gives me a present; the only time I am given anything is when I am owed, and even then I make sure they do it.

But in front of me on the threshold of the door was a bright pretty box, which contrasted to the dark, ugly world in which I lived. The paper was actually paper, not the thick rough parchment of most of the tombs I read. Thin easy to rip, purposefully made to do so even, bound with a piece of butchers string braided with fine copper threads. There was a softness to the whole set up,

My first instinct was to smash it, and be done with it, but if someone placed it on my threshold for a reason. Likely someone who mistook something I did as heroic, someone who has not been introduced to the harsher realities of the world. If this someone was watching from an inconspicuous place they would be introduced to said realities in a very harsh way.

I’m an asshole, but I’m not that big of an asshole, and I likely could tank whatever trap might have been.

There were apparently two different rituals to open such things. One was delicate, pull the string, and remove the paper leaving it intact letting the anticipation build. The other way is to violently skin the thing with all the excited zeal of a war dog tearing into a deer. I chose the former, I’m not one for pointless violence after all, also I had no idea what I was supposed to do with the paper, and string after I opened the damn thing.

After pulling the bow open I discovered a box of carved oak hollowed, with a spring loaded drum, and harp inside activated by a key on the other side, or in other words a music box. I was well crafted. I turned the key, and tightened the spring,

The refrain that raing out was one of peace, hope, and joy, and honestly it brought an ach to me. I have dealt with pain, I’ve had my arm violently ripped off, had my flesh cut open, bones broken, skin burned, and am able to push forward. I have had my mind invaded, and turned into something’s play thing, and was able to overcome it. But this ach had me sitting on the floor of my hut.

The song ended, and I tightened the spring, and listened to the song again, and the pain never calloused. The same bright spots, the same searing pain.

In my life I have survived through skill, tenacity, and adrenaline. I’ve seen hope dashed, and people shattered by it, peace is a joke, and joy is the stuff of children; in all honesty it is a horrible world devoid of such things.

Nevertheless, the music playing opened a part of me that I had closed off for my own survival. I felt joyful, and melancholy, angry, and conflicted, while hopeful. These were not forign emotions to me but one’s that I didn’t want to feel.

This day though something decided that I should feel these so I spent the entire day, evening, and night playing the music box, and feeling. Maybe I wept, maybe I contemplated things that I’d rather see buried.

The last thing I remember from this gift was falling asleep, and having a good night’s rest. No nightmares, no worry.

When I woke the next morning did my heart grow three sizes bigger? No. Did I decide that I would make amends,and change my ways? Why should I?

Tomorrow I shall move on, but for now I will rest.
    "By any stretch of the worlds view I am a monster. But sometimes, more than they want to admit, the good people of this world need a monster to do all of the things that they're too afraid, or ashamed to to themselves, to cross lines they can't, to enter the dark places they wont because they are afraid of the corruption they might be subject to. I am that monster, and I plan on being the most dangerous monster that many will meat."

Administrator

EXP: 10,042, Level: 4
    Level completed: 21%, EXP required for next Level: 3,958
    Level completed: 21%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,958

GP

Name
    Tyr Vythari
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Vignette closed for judging and rewards.

Thank you so much for your participation!

Nuclear Rage

EXP: 64,948, Level: 10
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 52
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile
    December Vignette.

I apologize for the insanely long wait on this judgement. I hope the feedback I offer is good, Dracon.

Prompt

Your character receives an unexpected gift that could be out of the ordinary for them. How does your character react to the gift? Are there any retaliatory elements? Remember, the gift could be absolutely anything. Good or bad.

Vignette Close Date

December 31, 2020 at midnight EST

Rules
    1. One submission per character.

2. All entries have to be within the declared period. Editing your post and completely changing your submission is okay as long as all the edits occur before midnight EST on the closing day.

3. The moderator judging the monthly vignette contest may post a vignette at the end, but will not be eligible for first or second place.

4. Only on-topic vignettes are liable for rewards. The topics are broad enough that no character should be particularly limited.

5. PCs must be involved in all vignettes. How "canonical" you choose to have the events of the vignette is up to you.

6. All participants receive EXP. The top two finishers also receive GP. (Clarification: this excludes off-topic submissions, as per Rule 4).

7. Entries are assessed on the following merits:
    Use of topic: Did the writer use the topic, or write something completely random and off topic?
    Creativity: Did the writer make something unique out of the topic or was it more cliche?
    Mechanics: Basic writing mechanics: spelling, grammar, punctuation, word usage, etc.
    Notes: Additional comments.

Dracon
    This is a bittersweet vignette entry. Sad yet beautiful to read.
    Use of topic: You've done a very good job not only keeping on topic, but embracing it. Your entire story revolves around the topic and what it does to your character.
    Creativity: The present was sweet, and I loved Dracon's reaction and his emotional response. His first time feeling joy in a long time. Even if he is still a jerk, the present still has made him a bit child like this once. It is so emotional and splendidly done!
    Mechanics: I highly suggest you proofread your work. There were numerous small mistakes one wouldn't catch on their first read through.
    Notes: You may be the only one here, you may have won by default, but hear this - you wrote an emotionally invested piece that makes readers feel for your character. You have done a fantastic job, only entry or not. Very well done! I just suggest you proofread so your work reads smoother.

Dracon wins!
    • Dracon wins 300 EXP and 200 GP.

Congratulations, Dracon! Thank you for participating.
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Nuclear Rage

EXP: 64,948, Level: 10
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 52
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile
    Awards added.
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.