Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    And then their business was back on track.

“I will convene with the Senate to see their approval for the emissary. It will not take long, but soliciting the services of an ona-san, a house mistress, will take much more effort.” Lillith said, as she pointed into the distance. Philomel tilted her head, frowning until she saw what the Akashiman did. A 'meiko' - a trainee version of a geisha - walking through the crowds with her head held high. “A disguise will be our only hope of getting you two into the haven.”

A disguise. Immediately Philomel thought of herself in all the glory of Akashiman traditional dress and began to smile. Despite all her adventures, that was one thing she had never managed to do.

“We get make-up?” Shinsou said as he frowned. Blinking, Philomel considered the statement for a moment, then grinned widely as she realised what that meant for him.

Yes, she quietly rejoiced. And then she looked at the geisha. Because she had to be one herself.

“What about you Lilith?”

"Lye knew my face, but recent events have worked in our favour. He won’t know it’s me until the tanto is in his heart.” Philomel nodded, agreeing. For herself a kimono would cover her legs, and a well-placed headpiece could conceal, or make decoration of her horns and tapered ears. It would be a perfect disguise for them all, with white paint and glory. A single way to get them into the comfort of the Seventh Sanctum without needing to fight.

Lillith went on; “I also need to speak to the Spirit-Warder Consul. We can’t take too many citizens, if it goes awry, the only blood to be spilled will be of those willing to fight.”

“Won’t a small procession raise suspicion?” Shinsou seemed doubtful.

“Oh, don’t worry. It won’t be small. I shall meet you both at the Outlander’s Post in the Okiya district. Do you remember where I showed you the cherry blossoms around the lake?”

A small nod from Shinsou, and a confused one from Philomel. She thought for a moment, and realised that they must have wandered off a short distance when she had been busy comforting Delath. It was a little matter, and the faun was certain she remembered something of a garden just behind the street they were on.

Lillith gave a fond smile, then turned in a twirl of silk and embroidery.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    As the seemingly immortal geisha swirled her way into the confines of her city's government, the swathes of her kimono moving like murmurations of swallows, the Matriarch faun twisted her way back to stare at Shinsou. The words of the idea of disguise and traditional dress still on her lips, Philomel smiled, staring at him. Standing tall, shoulders back, the leader of the Brotherhood looked slightly dismayed - a look that made Philomel have to bite back a laugh. As the glitterings of light from the thousand lanterns caught the gold flecks of his hair she addressed him. Behind her Delath raised his nose to the air, taking in long draughts of the sweet scents, his appearance causing fresh new excitement. Currently, the bravest children were shoving their kin and peers forwards, daring each to be the first to approach the mighty, brave dragon.

Taking a moment the faun paused, trying her best to think how to address her next concerns to her friend. The ones she had been putting off and deliberately not thinking about.

"I need to talk to you about something serious, Shinsou," she said uneasily.

Immediately the Telgradian's brows furrowed. "What is it?"

Taking in a breath she began:

"Pride aside, Shinsou," she said, referring back to his recent speech, "What comes after Ulroke's death will come. What might be of the Crimson Hand, whether it fades back into nothingness ... Or Maddison returns, I do not know. But I want to make certain that one thing is taken care of if the worst happens."

Carefully she looped back a strand of hair behind her tapered ear, the tip of which flickered as she heard Delath grumble. Apparently one of the young Akashiman children had finally gained to extend a finger to his hardened flesh. One glance over made her smile lightly as she saw the wingless dragon breathe a blast of smoke to the gasping crowd. Scrabbling back the one who had dared let out a squeal like a frightened mouse.

"Beyond how powerful I may have become over the years," Philomel said quietly, looking back over to her ally, "This mission will be one of the most daring and dangerous I have ever faced. . Our minds being in the same place on this I want to ask you something ... Request something."

She paused, straightened her back as the hazel-eyed man simply gazed back with surprising patience.

"If I die in the coming days, Shinsou, I want my body taken back to the place where I met Veridian. If he is alive he can show you where it is. If he is dead then ask Vaeron. If he is not available ... Then ask my brother."

The man opened his mouth to talk, "Philomel I think this is rather -"

"It is not over exaggerating," she sighed. "This /might/ happen. Ulroke is not a man to be underwhelmed - he is even more powerful since he returned and brought the Crimson Hand back from the silence it was. He was once a good man of sorts ... Or perhaps I was worse, nevertheless, he has grown possessed by and obsessed with his shadows. Dark shadows," she paused, realising her voice was rising. The warrior before her, all clad in his glorious armour seemed rather concerned, but she shook her head and went on. Quietly. "Dark shadows that are disturbing and will easily kill. Even with Mao now my power can not overwhelm him. And I will sacrifice myself if that is what it takes for others to survive."

She saw him glance over to the rabbit, perched high upon the grumbling dragon's head. Curiousity was in his eyes and he seemed observant of her brief mention that Mao had some form of power. It made Philomel smile - for he was directly connected to the small creature.

"Mao came to me just after the battle in the cavern of crystal," she told him. "She was drawn by the power of the sword that I got from there. Though she does not share the mental connection to Delath, Veridian and I she can mimick any of our powers."

Her eyes slowly moved back to fix on his, her voice now soft. "Delath will protect her in the case of my death. He and Veridian know to take her to my daughter. I have already set plans in place for Celandine to be prepared for eventual command of the Gilded Lily, with Gosling and Vaeron guiding her until she is old enough." She sighed, "Sorry. This is probably very bleak for you."

He shook his head slightly. "If it comes to it, I will respect your wishes." Though he frowned with the thought of her death, and having to hold her corpse.

"Thank you," she said with a sigh. "Until then, you should perhaps go join our friend. I need to head into the city. I have ... a friend here that I have not seen for a long time, and I know she will be able to help us." She paused. "Alright, yes she is a geisha, and she has connections to a brothel that I have influence over. But it is my only one in this city!"

"Of course you do," he said without a hint of surprise in his voice. "Though do not be long. I shall see you at the harbour."

Her eyes narrowed at him a moment, but then she nodded, turning around to head for Delath. As the dragon saw her coming he stopped his puffing smoke at the now giggling children and lowered his head towards her.

"As you wish, commander," she drawled a reply, mock-saluting Shinsou even with her back to him.
    Last edited by Philomel; 09-28-2017 at 07:17 AM.

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    Easily she ascended onto the back of Delath, the point where his neck became back an ideal nestle there. Though far larger than her mount tera'k the dragon seemed to suit her better, their colour close and their temperaments familiar. There was a dash of bright red colour and Veridian soon sprinted from his hiding place where he had been hunting food, a hot pie in his jaws. Cries of annoyance came from a stall owner, a fist raised in the air as the fox leapt up behind Philomel. Shocked looks and a chittering noise and Shinsou was subject to the sight of the four compatriots spinning around. A thump of a tail, a laugh and a wave and they were hurrying off, away from the governmental buildings.

Away from her friends. Onwards into the city upon the back of an earth dragon with a whip-like tail.

Through the festival they ran, curdling up gasps and cheers as those they passed either feared or loved them. A dragon was what Delath was, and in part dragons were dear to these people - but perhaps not those born of rock. Instead air and fire meant more to them, and between the flickering lanterns and the calm streams that small bridges extended over Delath and his charges made a scene. He roared little but ran much, scarring a few fenceposts with minor scratches and smashing down a pole or two. Philomel mentally notes to pay those storeowners back later.

The thick scents of frankincense hung in the air as they thundered into the more commonplace geisha region. Doors and shutters were drawn back from store fronts displaying the entrances to various coffee houses and brothels. Sweet music hummed outwards, seductively echoing tunes that could pull a passerby into a false sense of security, those intriguing notes that are disturbing yet warming to the soul. Bright colours announced the various houses, calling out to the passersbys - but not to the dragon and his riders. Even though he slowed to a leisurely pace, the pathways becoming thinner and the amount of things to destroy more numerous, he still did not come to a complete halt. Instead he followed the urgings of his faun, she who he regarded as much as kin as his now distant-memory egg-mates. Gently she made him ever carefully forwards, her own eyes alight with wonder as they drank in the glory and excitement of the festival.

"Madam - Philomel!" Came a gasp.

There stood a painted woman, lips ruby red and eyes extended with thin black lines. A rare heart-shaped beauty spot was angled on her cheek, black against the white foundation. On her body she wore the restrictive but beautiful and formal kimono, stern bow to the back, wide band of ribbon encircling her waist and small wooden clogs - geta - on her feet.

Delath screeched to a halt, claws raking slightly on the stoney ground. Quickly, Philomel slipped from his back, petting him briefly but her eyes for the woman who had stopped them in the centre of the street. Still a fair distance from the brothel where they had been headed.

"Sakura!" Philomel gasped, rushing forwards to greet the geisha. "You are here?" she gestured further down the street where the brothel was, and its next door neighbour - Sakura's entertainment house. Her okiya.

The Akashiman glanced from the faun to her companions. She nodded a little in recognition to the fox on the back of the dragon, who curtly returned the gesture. Recognition fluttered between the two. Memories of an old friendship, an old adventure now many years in the past.

"Neither I, you, Madam," Sakura said in a warming tone, looking back to Philomel. "There has been a slight change in my business you see." Smiling, she held out a hand to grasp that of the faun. "I did not tell you but I am now running three okiya, not just that were we met."

"And where you were not even running that one!"

"Yes," Sakura beamed, "But how glad I am to see you. Both of you ... All of you! This must be Delath, who you have written to me about."

"And we you," Philomel couldn't help but grin broadly. "Yes, this is Delath," she turned to eye her gorgeous, proud earth dragon, "And Mao." The rabbit twitched her ears. "... Oh my dear friend," she held Sakura's hand tight. They were good friends, after all. Despite all that had happened at Erstfort Island, they had grown in friendship and trust to one another. "I hope you can help."

Sakura, the geisha who had never been quite part of the Gilded Lily but always a friend should the need arise, tilted her head. "Oh?" She asked.

Philomel nodded, her smile fading a little. "Indeed," she mused, "You see I am here with others. To ask your government's help to end the life of a tyrant."

Quietly the geisha regarded her. Last time Philomel had seen this woman the two of them had been fighting their way out of a Scara Brae hell-hole, when Philomel had confessed to her who she truly was, and what Celandine meant, her conception blessed by Drys herself after all. Sakura was one of the only people who had known all these years about the truth about Celandine.

"I know you, and I trust you, Madam," Sakura said quietly. "You are full of honour, and you would not ask for my help if this was not a thing of honour." Again she clasped Philomel's hand. "I will help you. And your friends. Tell me, what do you need?"

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    They came with all the triumph of a court at festival, softly pacing through the snow on treasure-laden aurochs.

(To be fin)