Level completed: 68%,
    EXP required for next Level: 4,814

GP

Name
    Madison Freebird
    Race
    Briarheart

View Profile
    “How the fuck are you still here,” I roared at her a second time, fists clenched and knuckles white. Every muscle, every fiber of my being wound tightly and ready to pounce.

This was not how it was supposed to go.

All this murder... All this violence and bloodshed... Supposed to push her over the edge.

Her soul was supposed to rupture, unleashing a devastating blast of dark energy that would annihilate everything around. Real apocalyptic glass the earth kind of stuff. I do not know how big the blast was supposed to be, but I remember reading in that book of hers that absolutely nothing would survive it.

Including myself.

“Why?” I stormed closer to her, my eyes stinging with tears that froze the moment the cold Salvar air touched them. “Why why why why why WHY?!”

Amari flinched slightly, the black smoke pouring from the cracks in her skin quivering as she quickly regained her composure. “I am in far greater control of my power,” she asserted, her blackened eyes holding my own hateful gaze even as I was inches from her. “And I have so much to live for.”

“Like what,” I hissed.

“Because I have--” The redhead paused for a moment, the words caught in her throat. “Because I have you. Because I have Lye.”

“Lye?” I interrupted. “Lye? You don't have him. He has you.”

Amari opened her mouth to object, but I immediately cut her off.

“You don't have him. You don't fucking have anything. You are a tool, Amari. You are his to command, his to use as he sees fit. It's in your fucking name and all, isn't it? Ar'Tuel?”

That's it. That's the look I wanted to see. The venomous words that were spilling out of my mouth struck a nerve. Oh dear, now I've hurt her feelings!

“I am not Ulroke's tool,” she protested between clenched teeth.

“Oh, you're not?” A fire was building in my belly, one that burned as hot as the day I orchestrated the assassin's ousting as Master Hand. “Let me tell you something, Amari. To Lichensith Ulroke, everyone is a tool. Everyone has a purpose. Everyone is expendable. No matter how much you may think, no matter what nice things he's forced himself to do to you these past couple months, he only does it because he knows that he can keep stringing you along, keep you loyal as long as he finds you useful.”

I jabbed a finger into the firm flesh of her abdomen. “Lucky for you, that should be for at least another year or so. At least until he can convince Advencia to care for the heir you're giving him, yeah? And after that--” I made the universal hand signal for “explosion”.

The look that Amari gave me was almost indescribable. A mixture of uncertainty, of confusion, of anger.

Good. Come closer to the edge. I beg of you.

Stop questioning yourself, and just let go.

It'll be wonderful. I promise.

“I'm no different,” I continued, my voice low. “I'm just a tool. Always have been, always will be. I know why he recruited me. I know I fell for it hook, line and sinker.” My voice shook as long-forgotten memories burst forth in my mind. “Bastard knew that I was from a long line of successful assassins. Knew I was good with the kill, and never let any frivolous morals get in the way of doing what needed to be done. Knew I would take his coin, with all the shit he promised me with that silver tongue of his. All he needed to do was point, and I’d end it.”

I shook my head. The memory of that first week in the Seventh Sanctum, where he showed me the space that would quickly become my laboratory. He catered to my every whim, acquiring the best equipment and test subjects money could buy. How he prodded me to develop the devastating plague that I'd unleash upon Eiskalt, simply because he knew I'd do it. The asshole took advantage of me, used me like the rest of the lot, then was ready to accuse me of treason and cast me aside after I took away his cause to start another war with the Ixian Knights.

My throat tightened up. A single tear managed to slide down my left cheek. “I'm so tired, Amari.”

“I'm tired of all the killing. I'm tired of all the running. My entire life, it’s all I’ve done.” I took a step back, the weight of my years and the horrible shit I've gone through crushing me. I could barely stand. I couldn't hold her fiery gaze. I... I just...

“This thing's been nothing but a curse,” I spat out, my hand weakly beating against my chest. “This fucking briarheart thing... I... I don't want it anymore. I don't want to go on. I can't do it. But I can’t get rid of it. I can’t get rid of this fucking thing!”

Twenty. Before I showed up at the Sanctum earlier this afternoon, that's how many times I've tried to kill myself. Each time more creative and devastating than the last. Each time, my stupid fucking heart would just grow me back, like a weed, and I would try once again with even more desperation.

I looked up at her. My best friend, to the very end. “I can't do this anymore.”

“Do you know what it's like living a life with your hands stained by the blood of thousands? Do you know what it's like having your body, mind, and soul corrupted by the Forgotten Ones? To only know death and hatred and fear?”

She didn't respond. Even with the crackling of the fire that encircled us, the silence was deafening.

“Of course you fucking don't,” I growled. “You were pure, once. You were whole, or complete, or whatever the fuck you want to call it. You knew happiness at one point. You weren't born corrupted, like I was. You became it. You also have the choice to leave it all behind and walk a path of good again. Just like you chose to stay by his side after he kidnapped you, tortured you, had you raped... Like the good little tool you are.”

It was getting harder to speak. My throat felt dry. I wanted a drink. Water, whiskey, anything.

Smoke continued to leak out of the fissures in Amari's skin as I continued. “I don't have that choice. I've been damned since day one. And I'm tired of it. So very, very tired.”

I drew closer. I could feel her hot breath on my skin. Her breathing was shaky. This tempest of emotion swirling around in her, the rush of adrenaline from the massacre slowly receding...

Seconds ticked away, moments that passed like hours. Around us, the village continued to burn. We stood in the middle of the slaughter, just two girls enjoying one final night together.

“Amari, I think I'm ready to go now.”

Driving my shoulder into her chest, I knocked her on her ass. Clouds of blood-soaked snow exploded as we collapsed to the frozen earth. Before she could defend herself, I pinned her arms to the ground and wrapped my hands around her neck.

She was close, so very close to letting go. It was the only way. The complete disintegration of her soul would unleash a wave of malevolent energy that was strong enough to eat away the powerful magic that powered my briarheart. That cursed organ would rot away to nothingness. No chance of regeneration.

I could finally get the peace that I so dearly craved.

Amari's eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets as she struggled underneath me. Her face began turning purple from the lack of oxygen.

I squeezed tighter. I could feel her trachea starting to give.

“Just... let... go!”

A fresh round of tears spilled down my cheeks. “Please!”

Shattered heart and Soul

EXP: 76,735, Level: 11
    Level completed: 98%, EXP required for next Level: 265
    Level completed: 98%,
    EXP required for next Level: 265

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    And let go she did.

Scarlets eyes rolled into the back of her head, unseen veins bursting from lack of oxygen in the blacks of her eyes. Her chest gave one last feeble rise before it exhalled, Before Scarlet completely lost her grip on the world of the living she could feel tiny droplets fall onto her searing cheeks, it was oddly cooling. She could hear the pained whimpers in her friend’s throat.

”Please…”

Scarlet reached out and grabbed Madison’s arms, they sizzled and hisssed. The pressure on her trachea eased. This was her chance. This was her revenge. This was her...no… Madison’s reprieve.

“Gaaaa!” Scarlets fingers sank into the vines and tore through Madison’s flesh. Scarlet pushed herself off the ground and tore the disembodied and writhing hands from her neck. She wanted to die that badly? Fine! “YoU’Re a SHITTY FRIEND!” Scarlet spat.

They’d fight to the death, they’d kill each other here and now. No regrets. Nothing left behind. Just a raging fire that’d turn into ashes. Carried away by the wind to be lost to time, forgotten.

Madison opened her mouth to speak no doubt more hurtful, and oh so truthful words. Scarlet didn’t need to hear them anymore. She KNEW what she was, she didn’t need to be fucking reminded of it. Black tendrils erupted from Scarlet’s back, all four in the broken shape of hissing snakes, barely able to maintain their form due to the Ar’Tuels own instability. They lunged in unison at Madison’s throat, tearing it open. With a gurgle the briarheart fell backward. A spray of very dark crimson, almost black blood rained down on Amari then continued, creating a halo around the nearly decapitated briarhearts head as she collapsed to the floor. Her neck hung on by mere threads. Mere writhing threads that attempted to stitch themselves back together.

“No!” Scarlet spat as she jumped onto Madison to pin her body to the floor. “YoU DoN’T GeT thAt LuXuRY!” Scarlet wouldn’t let Madison reform so easily, she wouldn’t allow her throat to reconstruct to spit more vile words her way. No. Fuck that.

Scarlet’s hands dug deep into Madisons chest. She clawed her way around until- SNAP. The assassin ripped apart the Briarhearts ribcage. The vines that surrounded her body and that writhed in her flesh tried to quickly pull themselves back together but Scarlet started ripping handfuls out. Handful after handful of bloodied vines and sinew were thrown over her shoulders. “WhO caRes if I’m a ToOl?” She hissed at the unresponsive woman. “At LeaSt I’m SOmETHinG! I cAn CreaTe! I caN dEsTROY!” Her warbled words were hissed through clenched teeth.
    “YOu CanT do THIS?” Scarlet stopped to reach out around her. The area was engulfed in flames, burning hot embers tickled Scarlets skin and singed her wild red hair. “THIS! THIS is what WE WeRE bOrN FoR!” And with those words Scarlet lunged straight back into Madison’s chest cavity and with great force found her heart and ripped it out, vines snapped and rotting away at her touch.

She could feel the heart’s vines twisting around her arm. Threatening to envelop her. The briarbarbs hissing against her cracked skin. Scarlet squeezed tighter, clenching her teeth. “YOU wanted THIS!” She screamed at the unresponsive woman before her. Madison’s heart refused to give in, it’s dark magic practically screamed against Scarlet’s grip, an unheard sound that rang in her ears. The miasma around her continued to violently swirl. It was a parasite, unyielding and doing whatever it possibly could to keep its host alive.

Two irrevocable dark and vile forces trying to suppress each other within a raging inferno. It was hell. This life, this moment was truly hell. Hot tears dotted Scarlets hands as they fell from her scrunched face. “I’lL KiLl YoU. I’lL FuCkinG KiLL YoU!” She screeched, pressing tighter. Scarlet bore her weight down hard on the tiny, thrashing heart in her grip. How dare she! How dare she turn the few moments of joy into this inescapable purgatory.

In a last ditch effort for survival the vines lashed out at Scarlet, piercing her chest, ensnaring her organs, snapping her ribs. Scarlet coughed, a splatter of darkened black blood covered the heart. It’s struggles began to weaken. “JuSt...D-d-DiE!” Scarlet sobbed. “YoU waNted This! You PleaDed for Thi-[i]hurk[/]” A flailing vine had landed its way into Scarlet’s own heart. She could feel it...she could feel it trying to infect her with its own spores in a last ditch effort of survival.

But Scarlet was too far gone.

Her thumbs dug into Madison’s heart and it finally stopped moving, its vines unravel from her shaking form. “F-frEnDs….” Her vision blurred. “TiLl...tHe EnD…”
    The briarheart stilled. Then finally...it crumbled to dust in her hand and with it, the vines fell away. Without the thrumming magic of her heart it all just...crumbled. Dried up into ash. Scarlet slumped over and forced her eyes shut. Her tears stung her lunged burned, and she waited for death to take her. She waited for the extravagant explosion that would destroy anything and everything around her.

Kaboom

Just like Madison said. No more Scarlet, no more Amari. No more hell.

But it didn’t happen. Scarlet had a parasite of her own, that refused to let the woman die. Refused to let its mother just explode into a raging ball of pure destructive force.

Streaks of gold erupted over her skin, healing her wounds - repairing her broken bones and the tear in her heart.

Scarlet’s eyes shot open.

No… no…. No… No… NO…...NO…. NO

It wasn’t supposed to happen like this! It wasn’t fair. Why did Madison get to die? Why wasn’t Scarlet afforded that same escape? It wasn’t fair! IT wasn’t FAIR!

The broken assassin curled over, hiccuping as she held back sobs. Blackened fists clenched tightly. It was supposed to be friends till the end. Right? So where was Scarlet’s end?

The wind began to pick up the ashes, scattering them to the winds. “Don’t you DARE!” She hissed at the non sentient force of nature. She bought her hands to her chest, desperately clasping at what little remnants of Madison’s heart remained. “She’s MINE! MINE MiNe!

Her crazed cries turned into pained mutterings as she repeated the words over and over. “S-she’s mine...mine…mine...my friend….” Her attempts were in vein as the dust slipped through her fingers.

“Please...she’s...a-AlL I hAvE….”

All that was left was a thin handful. The woman didn’t dare let her hands go. She could burn alive for all she cared.

“She’s here.”

“Quick Grab the carts!”

“I am NOT fuckin’ having her die on my fuckin’ watch!” A small voice chimed from the blazing inferno around Scarlet, whose harsh words were not befitting of such a childlike tone.

Scarlet’s eyes fluttered open at the sound of three voices. Voices? Hadn’t they killed everyone? Was there more? Should she….Scarlet pushed herself up off the ground with a growl.

Kill…

KiLl

Her blurry vision focused on a tall figure with wisps of long silver hair and her thoughts stopped. Lye? Her cracked voice called out to him. “LyE?”

The man came into focus and to her disappointment… it was not… it was… Zero. The fallen Ixian Knight formerly known as Taka. He reached out to her but a tendril whipped out and slashed his skin. “NoT lYe!” She hissed! “BrING mE LYE!” Scarlet started screaming at the man as he bore down on her. Grabbing her shoulders. “I’ll FucKINg KiLl You!” She spat as another tendril struck him in the shoulder. He winced and pushed Scarlet to the floor.

“This is for your own good.” He muttered as he took a vial out from beneath his robes, he pried off the cork and tried to pour the contents into Scarlets mouth. She wasn’t having it. She writhed and kicked and screamed from beneath him - another tentacle tore through his skin. The man was resiliant. His skin was tainted black, the onis corruption seething within him. It allowed him to withstand her attacks.

“Scarlet please....” His voice filled with a concerned determination.

“BrinG HiM To ME!” Scarlet screeched. “I’lL FuCKInG KiLL Y-mmmff….”

In a swift motion Zero had thrown the contents of the vial into his own mouth and forced his lips to Scarlets, he pressed the bitter liquid into her mouth and forced her to swallow.

Her world quickly began to spin. THe writhing etheral snake-like tentacles fizzled away and she felt heavy. What the hell had he done. “InSuborDinAte FUcK!” Scarlet spat.

“Well? Ya done making out? Fuckin’ load her onto the cart before we all burn.” Advencia spat as she approached Zero from behind with Caellus in tow. “I ain’t touchin’ her - you and your fucked up healing body can do that.”

Zero nodded as he tried to pick Scarlet up, but she screamed a warbled cry of protest. “N-NO! ILl LooSe HeR!” She still desparately clutched to the pile of ash that was once Madison Freebird.

With a heavy sigh Zero grabbed the vial and with a great deal of effort pried Scarlets fist open, letting the contents fall into it. He corked it back up and shoved it in his robes. “Whatever it is. She wants to keep it…” He mused.

“Fuckin’ lets GO!” Advencia snapped, clicking her dainty fingers.

With a great deal of effort, Scarlet was hauled onto the back of a carriage by Advencia; the buxom succubus, Caellus - Lyes right hand man and Zero. The corrosive smoke her skin leaked already began to warp and rot the wood of the carriage.

They didn’t have much time.

The carriage barely made it. The two horses threatened to break free of the reigns Caellus held as they burst through the forest lined horizon. The back of the carriage was in disarray, parts of it had been falling off, rotted away by Scarlet’s touch. Her screams for Lye had finally died down into whispers as she talked into the pile of dust in her hands.

“WHY would Madison do THIS?” Advencia spat. “Wasn’t she the one who was all ‘you need to look after her!’ Fuckin’ selfish cow.”

Caellus grimaced as he reigned in the horses to a slow trot as they entered the compound. “I’m more worried about what Master will do. It’s not like he can kill Madison. Mistress has done that already.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised if we returned to half the compound dead…” Advencia muttered as she crossed her arms over her buxom chest. She shot a glare toward Scarlet. “Why the fuck he still keeps her around...even when she’s like this…”

Caellus remained silent. He had no answer for her.
    Last edited by Amari; 12-14-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    This has been submitted for workshop and condensed. EXP and Gold will be granted when condensed judgement is done.

Cost for Workshop taken from Amari (2 AP).
    Last edited by Philomel; 12-14-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    Massacre Girls (Rated M)
    Condenscened Rubric
    Participants: Briarheart and Amari

Plot - 23/30

Both:
    This story is undeniably powerful. It has excellent rises and falls and a great deal of passion thrown into weaving a tale of excellence, excitement and sorrow. Setting was one thing that I felt could be worked on for both of you, but this is being picky. Overall the story is concentrated around Maddison and Amari's friendship, and ultimately Maddison's death, and this was carried well.

Briarheart:
    A great strong point that you have throughout this entire thread is reason – why Maddison stole the airship in the first place, why she wants to go on a killing spree, and lastly, why she wants it all to end. This fits in with character, but also with plot for it is core to understanding the story itself. This is a believable storyline, with a good amount of complex history behind her that you show with diverse pacing, rising and falling it to increase tension. You also show skill in general storytelling itself, including use of single setence paragraphs (see end of post 5), sentence structure, and a variety of word choice. You opened the piece well, with a well-written setting, and the idea of the dead crew and the death in the village is used brilliantly as a backdrop, although in general I would have liked to see this more developed as time went on. You excellently have a foreshadowing on her evenutal death with the simple fact that she is flying an airship with a dead crew she herself as murdeed, and is talking to them as if they are alive.

Amari:
    For yourself story is told from the portrayal of a person who has a best friend who they eventually lose. You start with Scarlet on the Bone Throne, forced there partly by Lye, and from there write a story of an adventure wanted. Your mix of paragraphing, with short and long ones – the latter filled with strong descriptions – works well to build the scene and carry on the action. Setting is something that could be worked on, with a look at technique to pull in the details of the landscape, for instance, but it has a good basis for what you want. You have good sized posts as well, which are easy to read and fit well with Briarheart's, finishing just when it feels right for them to do so. The top of post 22, for instance, carries from Briarheart's one before. This one, although longer than the others, fitted well as an epilogue. You carry the plot well also, with good death scenes, enough balance of emotion and gore.

Character - 24/30

Briarheart:
    You show character invariably brilliantly through dialogue most powerfully. This can be seen in such posts as post 21 where Maddison says: “I'm just a tool. Always have been, always will be.” This shows her realisation of her existence and shows one reason why she is willing to end herself. You also use the method of internal thoughts: Actually listening to Lye. This helps to display persona to the reader.Small details such as the Firewater were great, and helped to carry the idea of what your character is like. You have her smile, despite all that is going on around her, and little actions such as describing that she gestures to the window with the rim of her glass in post 13 helps to add more structure and depth to your character. In terms of her death, and the grim acceptance of such a thing is coming she talks to the dead like they are real, and plays with corpses. The desperation for just simple adventure is clear in post 7 with, “What did she call them? The White Blight Knights? Never heard of them. Don't care for the name,” and continues to be written well. Post 21 of course is ultimately where your character comes to a climax in her life (literally) with fantastic use of honesty, thoughts and dialogue that is very powerful and gives good reasons as to why she wants to end it all.

Amari:
    Throughout this piece you show a person who is desperate to understand themselves, their situation and life, but also a person who has a best friend and is truly sorrowful to lose her. You use great dialogue that shows some of her torment and mixture of feelings, some good internal thoughts and also actions to build up your character. Details such as what she is wearing – the large jumper instead of the red dress in post 4 – tell what mood she is in. You also gain a lot of insight into her feelings, such as in post 6 you have her attitude towards Maddison: “Bingo. The damn fuckin' crazy bitch wasn't out for a leisurely stroll.” Great dialogue can also be seen in posts, with an example from post 8 that goes, “Now, unless you want to play a twisted game of hide and seek, sit tight.” You keep up a consistency with the tone of her voice, which is always good to see. You make also her build up into sorrow extremely believable too. This is shown in her stacatto dialogue, flowing with a mixture of capitals and small letters, and repetition of her thoughts, with “No, no, no ...” One thing that you could consider trying to build on is the general overall reading of your pieces, for sometimes you have a heavier concetration on dialogue over action and persona, but this is a minor point.

Prose - 24/30

Briarheart:
    From beginning to end you build up some very good use of technique. For example, in post 21 you use repetition - “Why why why why why WHY?!” with use of italics, capitals and bold letters to show the desperation and anger of your character. Punctuation use is also varied and strong, used in all the right places. One example is from post 13: “--It had to be! That would explain everything!” You do miss a couple of question marks, such as the start of post 13 with, “Isn't that the truth,” but it is clear you have done some editing and made this a powerful piece. You also have a good hold of linguistic technique, with an opening of a well-described setting by use of colour imagery and a similie: “thick as pea soup.” I would have liked to see more of this, however. Listing also was another technique that you use well in post 1, when Maddison lists the people who make the Seventh Sanctum their home. The last post of yours, however, shows some tremendous skill, with such uses as the “blood-soaked snow” and “Twenty … that's how many times I've tried to kill myself.” You use thirst, fire, blood and tears to elude to what is about to happen, setting a painfully enchanting scene. Excellent imagery use all around, and perfectly good clarity.

Amari:

Overall you have a good grasp of prose, with no noticable clarity issues, aside from when your use of capitals and small letters becomes distracting. There are a few minor technical errors such as in post 14, “Scarlets” should be “Scarlet's.” Generally your use of is punctuation strong, when you use a variety of words, capitals and so on. This can be seen in post 14 again, “Madison was not only accepting of the child--not any child, but one that was supposedly LYE'S--but she was happy?” One thing I would say about punctuation is try to use the same amount of dots in ellipses (…) for consistency. There is also some excellent use of language, for example the following collective noun from post 14: “an uproar of people.” Another thing you do well is use sound, such as in post 16: “FWOOOM--” - adding dynamism and full liveliness to the piece. One thing I would discourage from doing, that is a little jarring in the overall read of the piece is using numbers, but rather write them out, for example in post 4 you write, “90% snark, 5% vines and 5% questionable shit”. This is a minor point, however, for truly you show massive amounts of skill in the final post, where your use of language, sentence changes and paragraphing truly shows the despair of your character. It begins with a connection to Maddison's last post of, “And let go she did,” then leads into something amazing. The pointant description of the falling apart briarheart is beautiful and truly haunting at the same time.

Wildcard - 8

Both:
    Honestly, this thread has been one of my favourites, easily, this year. It is not just because Maddison dies, but because it is also clear that you have put a lot of effort into it. Wildcard points here are going to emotion portrayal, which I feel is extremely well put across to the reader, through various techniques that I hint to above. All around it made me cry, and there are not many threads that will do that. You also write excellently together.

Final Score - 79/100

Rewards:

Briarheart receives:
    2785 EXP
    175 GP

Amari
    receives:
    2320 EXP
    200 GP

This thread is to be nominated for a JC.

“Friends are a strange, volatile, contradictory, yet sticky phenomenon. They are made, crafted, shaped, molded, created by focused effort and intent. And yet, true friendship, once recognized, in its essence is effortless.
    Best friends are formed by time.
    Everyone is someone's friend, even when they think they are all alone.
    If the friendship is not working, your heart will know. It's when you start being less than perfectly honest and perfectly earnest in your dealings. And it's when the things you do together no longer feel right.
    However, sometimes it takes more effort to make it work after all.
    Stick around long enough to become someone's best friend.”
    ― Vera Nazarian, The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration
    Last edited by Philomel; 01-04-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    All rewards have been added.

Decision on JC award will be decided in due course.
    *admin at your service*

Characters: