Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu

How to Hire a Hero

Closed to Nosdyn. Second part to How to Hire a Villain.
    White and pale yellow tinged with pink was the colour of the sky. It was a fine clear day over Beinost, and it was quiet, peaceful and mellow. There was no evidence that the city had gone through a recent famine possibility, nor that it had managed to struggle back to working capacity in less than a week. Panic was decidedly not on the day's plans for many of the residents of the half-populated city, and many of the shops and market stalls that were opening were just coming alive, and with just smiling faces. There were no drunkards loitering around the dead and empty parts of the city, nor had their been any reports of serious crime for some time. Instead there was a gentle happiness, which some attributed to the glory of a small noble household, but many others disbelieved and claimed it was the good work of the neighbourhood that had saved them.

Instead both were right in their own ways, but also wrong. The truth was that a lone kenku was truly to thank, but she was taking no credit. Instead she rode out of the south end of the city into that great cloudless dawn, the only sound being the scraping of her chocobo mount's feet in the dirt.

Stare rode without hesitation. It had been a day since Vitruvion, her (quite literal) god and employer had requested - ordered - her on this mission. Over the past two months he, his business estates and his personal household had all been attacked through various means but by one entity - a mysterious man who claimed to be his half-brother.

They had discovered the extistence of the brother first when Stare herself had been kidnapped by the Bounty Hunters Guild. They had been led by a mage of the usually cheery demon lord Sabazios, but it seemed that some form of influence had changed the demon of gluttony and excess into something of a suspicious wreck. It had not taken long for Stare to make the connections to Vitruvion's supposed half-brother. Since then there had been more violence, including the annihilation of several mercenaries, a rumoured incoming attack on Vitruvion's brewery in Corone, and the attack on the city itself. During that attack Stare had found the perpetrator and had been heart broken to find it was her brother Avin, brought in a horrific way back from the dead with few memories and fiercely loyal to Sabazios and the brother.

So loyal that he had killed her. And then she had found out she was immortal ... But that was another tale. Now she rode southwards in order to try to stop the possibility of a further, terrible assault on the great ships that were vital to Vitruvion's silk and other fabric businesses. So far one had been successfully attacked, and sunk. The other two were in grave danger.

It was dire and terrifying as a prospect. Already the city where they lived had been brought to the edge of chaos, and now even more with the possible collapse of one of the city's most successful business empires. An empire that employed hundreds throughout the city, and was responsible for a large portion of the guards trained there.

Stare hunkered down over her chocobo, her own black feathers merging with that of her darling beast. Together they headed down the wide main road, leaving Beinost as a shadow on the horizon, but taking her worries with them. Sen was the chocobo's name and the trust between mount and rider was a strong one. They would travel for as long as they needed to to find the help they needed, whatever the cost.

For it was up to her now. With the city only just recovering there were little resources to go out to send a call. Instead Stare had in her hand a small violet glass pebble, and she kept it tightly wrapped in her hand as she rode. Through it she was continuously mentally calling for a friend - the only friend she could imagine could help them, a friend who usually lived south.

In the dread lands of the demon world of the Tular Plains.

Nosdyn.
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

Legend

EXP: 45,220, Level: 9
    Level completed: 13%, EXP required for next Level: 8,780
    Level completed: 13%,
    EXP required for next Level: 8,780

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Elsewhere, five months ago--

Time was different for his people, his kind.

The past five months were a sort of homecoming for Nosdyn Krotar. He'd taken the transport back from the recent job with Vitruvion and Stare. Back home...back to the Tular Plains. That was five months since. Nosdyn did not expect a warm Hero's welcome. He expected to be hated and hunted for being the sole survivor of his squad. He'd been part of a secretive mission to test the defensive capacity of the overworld...Althanas proper. He'd been the only one that had come back home.

Men like Nosdyn did not like down-time.

He had no proper clan to come back home to, no followers worth a damn, no mate...nothing. The only thing he had was his report to give back to the tribunal of demons. There he stood giving his debriefing report back to the demons who oversaw such matters. Truth be told...Nosdyn knew, it was all song and dance. If they followed proper policy, Nosdyn would be blamed for the deaths of his comrades. I don't care they weren't strong enough to survive. They should have trained harder. Since Nosdyn had met Stare and Vitruvion, he'd earned a reason to fight. Something and someone to fight for and protect.

He chose to omit Stare and Vitruvion from his reports...they were not important to the tribunal. Nosdyn would keep his secrets until he met his very end. There was a large tribunal body of demons for that particular age of the Tular Plain's history. At least fifty members of the tribunal were all staring at Nosdyn, judging him. Nosdyn half-expected to be branded as as a war-criminal and be put to a horrible death. As he spoke though, remembering the contents of his report word-for-word...Nosdyn did not see hatred in the eyes of the tribunal.

He saw something else entirely.

Something has happened while I have been away. This is not the same tribunal I remember from my youth... Nosdyn thought to himself as he talked. He'd been there for three days speaking to the tribunal about many complex matters and answering every question he could. Without hesitation, Nosdyn knew his very life depended on it. At about the seventh hour of the third day...there was discussion between select members of the tribunal. They motioned for Nosdyn to stop talking. He did so.

The leader of the tribunal, a regent lord underneath the service of Overlord Zieg stood up at that point. He motioned for the demons and their gathered allies to be silent for a moment. All stopped talking at once a the leader prepared to address those gathered. "Son of Commander Krotar." The leader began, and Nosdyn flinched for a moment upon hearing even the slightest mention of his fallen Father. A demon he'd killed with his own hands. "In concordance to the laws of our people, this military tribunal has granted you the rank of demon general." There were excited whispers in the crowd. "You will assume command for all of your Father's former estates and vassals. And wealth, the dignity of your house will be restored to full prosperity."

Nosdyn narrowed his eyes at what he was hearing. Mercy was it...? What's the catch? Nosdyn did not show any unneeded emotion as long as the tribunal spoke. He would wait until given the chance to speak, until he was given the floor to speak again. There has to be some catch...? Nosdyn thought to himself.

The leader of the tribunal continued to speak. "You have served your duty with dignity and pride that is expected of a soldier of your magnitude. The information you have provided will serve to prepare future generations of soldiers to travel to the overworld and begin to infiltrate the enemy." The tribunal leader looked at Nosdyn with a serious expression on his face. "You are expected to remain here in The Tular Plains and support the bulwark and morality having seen what you've seen."

"When will I return to the surface world?" Nosdyn suddenly asked. "There are matters that still need to be finished."

"I understand your concern...Son of Krotar." The tribunal leader said. "You have been through an extremely trying situation. You have earned your rank as General. Go now, to your clan house and recover from your long journey...you are dismissed. The information you have given us is no longer your concern."

He did not remember the last time he was that furious.

I have a rank now...but what does that get me? They'd made me as little more than a puppet...I'm a fucking soldier. Nosdyn walked with two other demons at that point and they both saw that he was raging on the inside. "By the Thayne, I belong on THE FIELD!" Nosdyn growled out loud. His companions looked at Nosdyn. "A week it's been and three days of speaking the reports out...answering their questions...this is what happens now?!"

"That's politics, Nosdyn." One of his companions said. "Things are different here than they were before you left...times have changed."

"Nosdyn, you have a land now, title...power." The other companion said in response. "You can live well now and do your duty."

"Fucking politicians." Nosdyn said suddenly. He stared at his companions. "There's something I have to do. I'll plan what needs to be planned, but I decided that this is not the life I want for myself. I belong on the field." Nosdyn knew, that a posh desk job was not the proper place for a demon general. He wanted to fight. He wanted to win...there was always a war somewhere.

His companions hesitated. "What are you planning, Nosdyn?" One of them asked.

"I'm going back home." Nosdyn said without realizing the severity of what he'd just said. In his absence, the demons of the Tular PLains had grown soft...this was not home. Home was with Stare and Vitrruvion, they'd sent him away for nothing. He would have given his life for Vitruvion and Stare...

Legend

EXP: 59,606, Level: 10
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    This town was apparently called 'Radiance' - a description that it was not. Years of labour, drinking and bad weather had turned it sour, so where it once might have been charming it now was rather the opposite. White-washed walls had been replaced by dirt and lichen, and various buildings that were not in use had had their roofs caved in - then never replaced. Chimneys from the roaring trade of blacksmithing poured dark smoke into the skies, whilst a steady line of individuals entered and exited the single large pub that dominated the centre of the town. It was by the market place, that seemed to sell nothing but limp vegetables and fat prostitutes. Nothing was remarkable about this place - Stare felt horrid, disgusted and depressed as soon as she stepped in. Yet, it was the only one on the road for some distance, and the sun was already setting.

With a grunt Stare rode Sen to a farmstead at the edge of town that at least seemed to be decent. At least, it was nicer and fairer than the town itself, and it had a stable. In any case, her dear chocobo would sleep well tonight. With a stern knock on the door she waited until she was faced with the apparent farmer's wife - a rotund woman with a tumour at her neck. Narrow, suspicious eyes stared at her.

"Aye, whit deh yeh wan'?"

The kenku blinked, hand tightening around the reigns of Sen. She gestured with her beak up to him. "Will you stable my chocobo for the night?"

The older women blinked and folded her arms, looking Stare up and down. "Yehn be tha' kenku type eh? They talk abou' un doon in Beinos'."

"Yes, they do. That would be my sister," Stare lied easily, lining her eyes up and glaring darkly at the wife. She did not force her emotions in yet, and thus not harm the woman, but definitely felt the anger rising. Accidents did happen. "I am looking to stable my chocobo. Will you do it?"

"Wha's wrang with the un in toon?"

Stare raised her brow and looked deliberately over at the dingy, ugly town, black against the gorgeous rich blue of the dusk. And that was not because it was a silhouette. Nay, smoke was still billowing from the forges. It took the woman a moment to roll her eyes.

"Alrigh', alrigh', 'ow much?" And she stuck out a fat-fingered hand. Into Stare deposited five large gold pieces, in a pile, to which the woman's eyes grew large. It was possible she had never seen so much money in her life.

"You look after him like he is your own child. And that," she passed over two more, "Is to keep his presence silence, yes?"

With a mouth agape, the woman nodded, the tumour beneath her wobbling. Stare gave a quick nod before passing over Sen's reigns. "If he is in as good condition as he is now, there will be double that coming."

It seemed the woman was pleased. She wasn't looking at Stare anymore, but was now already rapidly pulling the bird. Sen tilted his head and sadly cawed as he was led away by someone who was not his mistress, but after a while his brain learnt. Stare watched him disappear into a barn, where there were small neighs and moos, and she knew then that her instinct had been correct.

Well. That left Sen taken care of. Now herself.

She headed into the town, pulling her grey, woollen travelling cloak around herself more and twitching up the hood. A look of discomfort crossed her face as she readjusted her shoulders and felt the still unfamiliar weight of her wings - her bloody wings - twitch beneath her. They were, for now, folded tight against her back and could be mistaken for some form of growth. She imagined wildly that something such as that would not be uncommon in this town, with the apparent filth that oozed from it. Thus, she prepared to attempt to hold them still, and strode into town with her dark cloak covering her form, trying to look like a short and dark stranger - one who should be most definitely left alone.

Taking the shortest route to the inn, she eyed up a curious man who tried to peer into her hood, and caused him to gasp as his last nightmare assailed his unexpecting mind. With a slight look of amusement she pushed her way past a vomitting drunkard into the pub. She caught the quite singular name - 'The Rotten Apple' - before she stepped into the raucous.

Immediately she sighed. But she knew she had come to the right place to be unassuming, and left alone. Peering around the large, open space that was full of arm wrestles, drinking competitions and people feeding their rats crumbs, Stare found a booth right to the back. Already there were a couple of mysterious, dark hooded strangers that seemed her type. She eyed them up, her bright dark eyes catching theirs for the briefest second, and knew they were there for the same reason as her - to be left alone. She shoved her butt onto a seat, settled and sat there before the world seemed to get used to her.

It did not take long. Before long a busty barmaid had come over to her, addressed her as, "Sir," and asked her what she wanted. Stare grunted for two beers and waited for that woman to go before she dug her hand into the pouch at her belt.

And once more settled her long fingers over the violet stone. The one that she had still not as yet heard an answer to, but was truly hoping for one now.

Nosdyn? she asked, I am in the town of Radiance. I It is a dung-heap but on the road. Very close to Tular, my friend. Please answer me ... I need your help.
    Last edited by Philomel; 01-28-2018 at 05:26 PM.
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Time passed.

As the message was sent to Nosdyn, he received it in exact coinciding with her position in Radiance.

Nosdyn was sitting in his room and felt the warmth of the glowing gem he'd earned from Stare and Vitruvion. Stare... Nosdyn thought to himself. He saw the gem glowing in it's pouch and he walked up towards it, carefully removing it from the pouch. He'd been alone and had isolated himself from his meeting with the tribunal. They've grounded me...I'm a fucking soldier. I belong on the field. He was frustrated to say the least with his current situation.

As he picked up the glowing gem in his hand, the object felt very warm to the touch. Almost hot. He looked down into the stone's depths and could almost see Stare deep within the fog of the stone. He sighed as he saw her. His eyes narrowed as he received the message. "Help...you will have it." Nosdyn promised out loud in response to Stare's pleas. As he looked at her one last moment, he gathered his belongings and got dressed...

It was very late that night.

Roughly the third hour, standard Althanian time, in the late hours of the night. Thirty three minutes had passed into the hour.

Nosdyn gathered his weapon but instinct took over at that point. Something is wrong... Nosdyn narrowed his eyes at that point. He smelled smoke in the estate of his family...the house that he'd been granted. Granted for blind obedience to a system that no longer needed men like he. Nosdyn stepped calmly out into the hallway. His supposed servants, were wearing robes with marks he'd never seen before. He could only guess what was happening. [i]They would betray me too. Despite everything I've done for them...bastards...[/b] Nosdyn thought to himself.

"Come quietly son of Krotar." One of the demons said to Nosdyn as he stepped out into the hallway.

Stare...I would have died for you. He thought to himself. Nosdyn narrowed his eyes calmly as he looked around there were five immediately in front of him. "So this is how it ends?" Nosdyn asked, he had to know.

"It was the tribunal...they set this up. Please don't make this any hard than it already is." The demon extended her hand towards Nosdyn. "Come with me and this will be over with quickly." She pleaded.

Nosdyn looked at the woman and her cohorts..."Like HELL!" In a moment, he activated his weapon and struck her down quickly. The four others were already upon him...

Outside...

"Aeldrycht....what the fuck is taking so long?" An impatient demon asked his master.

"His fate has already been sealed. The tribunal has spoken." Aeldrycht said calmly. He looked at Nosdyn's house...much of it was already ablaze. "You're right though...this is taking far too long."

"Could he have escaped?" The servant asked.

"Not likely, but I have the spell ready for him. He has been ordered exiled by the tribunal." The sorcerer named Aeldrycht said carefully. "The tribunal's word is prime." A few moments later, he saw Nosdyn fighting his way out of the burning building after having killed several people. "Oh for fuck's sake, must I do everything MYSELF!?" Aeldrycht said angrily. He observed and locked eyes with Nosdyn for a moment or two, already beginning the process for the spell in his arsenal. Nosdyn was howling like a madman as he cut down anyone that got in his way.

At that exact point...time slowed down.

Aeldrycht had no choice and released the spell in question...

Radiance...an hour later.

Nosdyn growled in agony as he was fighting one moment and teleported relatively near to Stare's position.

His body burned with pain and fire, the spell forced him to travel from one point to the next.

Nearly outside of the boarders of the Tular Plains.

Nosdyn howled in agony as several Radiance towns people stared at the portal in shock. The portal quickly vanished and spat Nosdyn out and onto the ground. Nosdyn clutched at his weapon and at the ground. The blade still shining brightly as he held the long-haft of the weapon's grip. Nosdyn opened his eyes after the sudden spell had been cast on him. He growled once more in agony and then pulled himself together thanks to his heightened endurance. He stood up after a long moment passed and shut his weapon down. He looked at the town's folks of Radiance, a down-trodden lot. Weather-beaten and broken...sad state of affairs. Nosdyn looked at the various buildings around him, his mind still focusing from the horrendous ability cast upon him. "F-fuck you too." Nosdyn cursed as he looked back in the direction of the depths of the Tular Plains. He spit out some blood after a moment and looked at the nearest of the town's folk. "I need water." Nosdyn said with about as much calmness as he could manage at that point.

One of the servants walked over towards Nosdyn. "Follow me to the tavern. There are people there who can...help you."

Nosdyn was too tired to argue. The teleport spell had ripped him from himself and he'd been cheated out of a victory once more. He looked back towards the direction of his birth city. "Aeldrycht. One day I'll come back for you." Nosdyn looked at the servant before him and followed her...with her familiar blue hair into the tavern. Nosdyn's entire body hurt.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Stare received no direct reply via the stone, but as the seconds turned into minutes she felt a strange sense of peace come over her. It was a pleasurable experience, a good feeling of sudden satisfaction that she could not quite understand. Of how it had come to pass she could not tell, but as she did notice the alteration in emotion there was a noticeable warmth that came from the violet marble also. It rose above the steady state that it had been in before and Stare had a clarification then that this in fact was the communication from Nosdyn. Nay, he was not speaking through words, yet the meaning could not have been more recognisable.

Nosdyn had heard her, and was close.

Peeking up she stared wide with her eyes, scanning the room rapidly for any signs. The space itself was noticeably vast, despite the grime giving an illusionary smallness to it. Most of the occupants were rough labourers and barbaric types, with some form of civility within them. Every so often the door would open, however, and a new stranger would walk in. It was this that Stare kept her eye upon steadily ... Until a figure passed before it and went out.

Out. Outside, where few seemed to go. The Rotten Apple instead just seemed to collect patrons, not shed them. What was more Stare could swear she knew the woman that was just leaving. Fine and long blue hair. Sharp, angular features. Dressed in ordinary layman garb yet she had carried herself ...

The elf. Stare was suddenly sure of it. The same one who had been present when Nosdyn and she had first met. She that had first whispered words of command into Nosdyn's ear and then given Stare a book on how to control him. Not knowing what she had initially been doing Stare had spoken the first line of demonic text from it, and inadvertently bound Nosdyn to her command. The book, white naturally, was now in Vitruvion's hands, but the bond had never been technically broken between Stare and Nosdyn. Her god and master, Vitruvion, could, if he truly wanted, order Nosydn to do anything via her beak.

If she, the mysterious, still unnamed elf was still here, then there was a high likelihood that Nosdyn was too. Yet, Stare did not feel she could immediately stand and follow her. Nay, she had two beers and a private booth, with all the other mysterious strangers at similar tables. To stand and suddenly depart with two drinks in hand would be almost too odd. Thus, Stare was stuck in a long moment of indecision, uncertain of if she should follow or not and possibly risk the chance of not meeting him at all. However, what she had felt through the marble was something good, as if he was heading for her. It was painful to sit there, with the twisting knot of uncertainty continuing. Not knowing was truly something that the kenku did not like.

But - yet - she kept seated and agonising minutes passed, each second an age ...

The door opened once more, and finally the blue haired elf came swishing back in, locks swaying gently. Stare found her wings bristling with excitement as she spied, at last, him, he, her friend, following close behind looking exhausted, pained. His noticeable blue skin and his tattoos. Standing swift she stared out at him, her piercing black eyes watching him under her hood.

Cupping her hand more firmly around the marble she hissed quietly. Over here, my friend. At last.
    Last edited by Stare; 01-28-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    (Ailsa I am editing the post as per your request. I guess feel free to use the conversation in your own post.)

Energy still periodically swirled around Nosdyn from whatever teleportation spell that his enemy had used on him.

The dim lighting in the tavern's main room served it's purpose and was not terribly harsh on the demon's eyes. His whole body hurt. To say that he was in a foul mood would have been an understatement. Nosdyn looked around the chamber and he saw the familiar form of his friend, Stare. He nodded towards her with some degree of elegance. The gem on his person was also warm to the touch and it filled him with a certain sense of reassurance.

Nosdyn looked at the blue-haired girl.

There was a flash in his mind for a moment or two. He recalled the exact moment that he'd met that woman before...back in the other tavern. The first night he'd met Stare. It was a blurry, hazy memory but he was certain she was the same girl. He shook his head after he realized that, he knew he'd been awarded with some sense of what the fuck was going on. My body hurts too much to argue. He couldn't make any direct sense at that moment of epiphany only that he knew it was the same girl. I've seen her working with The Boss before, that is the old boss. When I was just another dumb grunt working for a crime-lord in Alerar. Oh well, whatever she wants with me and Stare...I'm certain it will be revealed in time.

Nosdyn approached Stare and hugged her out of no where. It was good to see an ally...no...more than an ally. The had fought and shed blood together. They were friends. Nosdyn held her for a moment or two, as if also trying to steady himself from the pain he felt. "Sorry I could not respond to you right away...something happened. I have been fighting for a long time." Nosdyn explained. He reluctantly let go of her and slid into her booth at that point. He sat down and growled in annoyance...his whole damned body hurt.

At that point, the blue-haired girl slid into the both and motioned for Stare to join them. "We're all here. We can speak freely now." She said carefully. She lowered her hood so her features were once more apparent, and it was indeed the same woman from before. She looked at Stare and then towards Nosdyn.

She had a mischievous look on her face. "You used him to change the world." The girl began...

He was here. He was finally here. Stare breathed out, her hands minorly shaking as she looked between the man of tattooed skin and whispers of golden hair. His eyes seemed exhausted, tired as if they had been through a recent, great torment, and it made her pause for a moment. Now, clearly, was not the time to share the voyages she had been through. The fact she was now immortal, made so by the hands of an elven star god and the entity that owned her. The fact she had been killed by her very own back-from-the-dead brother. The fact she had wings, a change that Vitruvion had not been emotionally empathetic on, but rather had been angry in the idea that someone else might be manipulating her that was not him.

Slowly, she took in a long breath, her eyes looking back to the blue-haired woman who was finishing off her sentences. "You used him to change the world. You wrought his power, and things have now begun to be set in motion that will not stop."

"You gave me the book," Stare said quietly. "By which to control him. Why?" Her eyes gazed at the elf, incredulous. It was a simple question in words, and complex in parameters, but it was the primary one burning at her throat. "You must have known to some degree that the man I work for would use that."

”You used him to change the world.” She said to Stare again. ”He would not have joined you and your Master otherwise and there would have been no change at all. You would not have been able to complete your mission without him.” She looked at Nosdyn for a moment. Then she looked back at Stare. ”Also...I sense there is a change within him now. A bond.” There was a mischievous look in the blue haired woman’s eyes. And she was genuinely interested in the situation at that point. ”You changed him for the better of all things. It was something needed for the growth of our societies.”

Stare cupped her hands around her tankard and glanced back at Nosdyn as the woman explained herself. In the back of her mind the century-old awareness that was Vitruvion moved to the forefront, pushing himself into her conciousness. For a while he was silent, pausing and just letting himself hang there, in her knowledge, before he spoke. He is troubled.

Like you care, Stare grunted. Do not you remember you wanted to be rid of his service, have him forget who I was because I was becoming friends with him?

The god in secret took a long breath in and sent her an image of him leaning back, observing as he watched a young elf dance before him and others in a rich-looking nightclub. Scantily clad the beauty shook her hips side to side and showed her belly in many contorted patterns, something Stare had to endure for a moment before Vitruvion sighed and came back to her. Yes, and you persuaded me otherwise. We have agreed you are allowed friends, albeit some, that I deem appropriate. After the demon's assistance in ending Heysan my opinion on him altered somewhat.

”I can see that you are deep in thought at the moment.” She said to Stare and Nosdyn. ”You gave the Haidian a purpose, that he was lacking.” She nodded carefully. ”That is why I chose to have you two meet. Because that would prove to be the catalyst of change.”

"You were there." Nosdyn said in a low voice. ”I saw you at that man’s place in Alerar. The one who calls himself The Boss. You were one of his subordinates were you not?” Nosdyn said carefully.

Stare looked surprised, but let the elf respond.

”Things have changed since then.” She nodded as she said that. ”But yes, I have worked for that man once upon a time. No longer though, I have my own missions and agenda now.” She rubbed her chin thoughtfully. It was clear Nosdyn was a deeper thinker than he let in on.

"Wait, so what has been going on?" Stare asked, her eyes turning now with incredulity to the other female. They burnt with some degree of fury, but not enough to summon the kenku's pain or other abilities.

The blue haired woman looked at Nosdyn for a moment. ”Will you answer that or should I?” She asked of Nosdyn.

Nosdyn looked at Stare and then back at the blue haired woman. ”I have been exiled from the Tular Plains.” There was a pained expression on his face as he recalled the events that lead to him being banished. ”I am here because I have no other place to be anymore. My purpose has been stolen from me.” He looked at Stare for a long moment as he said that. ”I have come here because there is no other place for me.” Nosdyn said.

The blue haired woman looked at both Nosdyn and Stare at that point. ”I see now.” She began and looked at Stare at that point. ”He is a valuable ally to you now. He has sacrificed his very homeland for you.” She was in deep thought for a long moment after that letting everything that was said sink in.
    Last edited by Nosdyn; 03-20-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    He was here. He was finally here. Stare breathed out, her hands minorly shaking as she looked between the man of tattooed skin and whispers of golden hair. His eyes seemed exhausted, tired as if they had been through a recent, great torment, and it made her pause for a moment. Now, clearly, was not the time to share the voyages she had been through. The fact she was now immortal, made so by the hands of an elven star god and the entity that owned her. The fact she had been killed by her very own back-from-the-dead brother. The fact she had wings, a change that Vitruvion had not been emotionally empathetic on, but rather had been angry in the idea that someone else might be manipulating her that was not him.

Slowly, she took in a long breath, her eyes looking back to the blue-haired woman who was finishing off her sentences. "You used him to change the world. You wrought his power, and things have now begun to be set in motion that will not stop."

"You gave me the book," Stare said quietly. "By which to control him. Why?" Her eyes gazed at the elf, incredulous. It was a simple question in words, and complex in parameters, but it was the primary one burning at her throat. "You must have known to some degree that the man I work for would use that."

”You used him to change the world.” She said to Stare again. ”He would not have joined you and your Master otherwise and there would have been no change at all. You would not have been able to complete your mission without him.” She looked at Nosdyn for a moment. Then she looked back at Stare. ”Also...I sense there is a change within him now. A bond.” There was a mischievous look in the blue haired woman’s eyes. And she was genuinely interested in the situation at that point. ”You changed him for the better of all things. It was something needed for the growth of our societies.”

Stare cupped her hands around her tankard and glanced back at Nosdyn as the woman explained herself. In the back of her mind the century-old awareness that was Vitruvion moved to the forefront, pushing himself into her conciousness. For a while he was silent, pausing and just letting himself hang there, in her knowledge, before he spoke. He is troubled.

Like you care, Stare grunted. Do not you remember you wanted to be rid of his service, have him forget who I was because I was becoming friends with him?

The god in secret took a long breath in and sent her an image of him leaning back, observing as he watched a young elf dance before him and others in a rich-looking nightclub. Scantily clad the beauty shook her hips side to side and showed her belly in many contorted patterns, something Stare had to endure for a moment before Vitruvion sighed and came back to her. Yes, and you persuaded me otherwise. We have agreed you are allowed friends, albeit some, that I deem appropriate. After the demon's assistance in ending Heysan my opinion on him altered somewhat.

“I can see that you are deep in thought at the moment.” She said to Stare and Nosdyn. “You gave the Haidian a purpose, that he was lacking.” She nodded carefully. “That is why I chose to have you two meet. Because that would prove to be the catalyst of change.”

"You were there," Nosdyn said in a low voice. “I saw you at that man’s place in Alerar. The one who calls himself The Boss. You were one of his subordinates were you not?” Nosdyn said carefully.

Stare looked surprised, but let the elf respond.

“Things have changed since then.” She nodded as she said that. “But yes, I have worked for that man once upon a time. No longer though, I have my own missions and agenda now.” She rubbed her chin thoughtfully. It was clear Nosdyn was a deeper thinker than he let in on.

"Wait, so what has been going on?" Stare asked, her eyes turning now with incredulity to the other female. They burnt with some degree of fury, but not enough to summon the kenku's pain or other abilities.

The blue haired woman looked at Nosdyn for a moment. “Will you answer that or should I?” She asked of Nosdyn.

Nosdyn looked at Stare and then back at the blue haired woman. “I have been exiled from the Tular Plains.” There was a pained expression on his face as he recalled the events that lead to him being banished. “I am here because I have no other place to be anymore. My purpose has been stolen from me.” He looked at Stare for a long moment as he said that. “I have come here because there is no other place for me.” Nosdyn said. Stare breathed in sharply, her eyes intent on her friend. So he was without purpose anymore, without a master.

The blue haired woman looked at both Nosdyn and Stare at that point. “I see now.” She began and looked at Stare at that point. “He is a valuable ally to you now. He has sacrificed his very homeland for you.” She was in deep thought for a long moment after that letting everything that was said sink in.

The kenku swallowed and then nodded slowly, her eyes having never left Nosdyn. “I cannot promise anything, but I will do what I can to help you.” She thought of Vitruvion and his situation. “We have our own troubles but … I will get to that.” She glanced quickly to the blue-haired elf. “What do you need? Are you in similar trouble?”
    Last edited by Philomel; 05-27-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    My purpose...it has been stolen from me. Nosdyn repeated the thought in his mind very carefully. The events that transpired back in his home-city, a city of Demons, left him scarred and mentally shattered. He wanted somewhere to belong. The laws of Haidia no longer bound him to be a soldier...he was another sellsword. Nosdyn sighed quietly. The pain he felt from the forced teleportation spell that was cast on him still coursed through his well muscular body. What...do I do now? He wanted some answers. The blue-haired woman could provide him none. Only Stare had the key he needed to go forward with his life. Stare and the blue-haired woman spoke quietly about the book and other matters...none of that concerned Nosdyn.

As he sat there, he took a drink from his goblet and tried to savor it. The drink was a local juice that was popular with the natives. He didn't mind...he was not in the mood for a strong ale anyhow. He listened in silence as the two spoke for a bit longer. Then, he thought of something. His mind cleared and he considered where he would go next, what he would do next. "Stare...you were already searching for me. Migh I ask what has happened since last we met?" In the intensity of the moments since reuniting with Stare and that blue-haired woman...Nosdyn had not had a chance to ask Stare anything. He was a Demon...but he was still a Demon with some manners.

He followed a very peculiar code of sorts.

He lived by the sword...and he hoped someday he would die by it.

He also secretly hoped that the someday in question was a long time off.

Nosdyn waited for Stare's response as he continued to consider the situation at hand. What did Stare need? Why was she looking for me...venturing this deep near the Tular Plains on her own? Nosdyn had to know...

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    It had been several months. And a lot had happened.

Stare gazed at the man, slowly breathing in as she looked between him and the elf. The blue-haired beauty smiled slightly before realising somewhat that this was the point where she needed to give the demon and the kenku some privacy. Though she was of some great importance to the existence of their relationship - having been the one who first ever gave Stare the book and practically designed that her and Nosdyn should meet. So integral was she to their friendship, yet so mysterious as to why she had done so in the first place, that it made Stare's heart pound to even consider the fact that they were all within stabbing distance to each other. She did not want to kill the blue-haired woman, and certainly not Nosdyn by any means, but the very idea that she could be killed so quickly here ...

Slowly the elf rose and nodded from one to the other before turning and slipping away. Stare watched as she went over to the bar, letting out a long breath. She considered what Nosdyn asked, about what had happened in the past while since they had last met. Happened to her, happened to Vitruvion, happened to their world. How everything had been turned upside-down, how she was immortal now and had wings ... uncomfortably the things shifted unbidden beneath her cloak as they weighted on her uncomfortably, reminding them of their existence as she thought about them. She tried to keep the movement as minimal as possible, squeezing the sides of her beak together as she bit back the curses that threatened to rise.

You cannot hide them from everyone forever, Vitruvion whispered. They are natural things, that cannot be gotten rid of.

You do not get it, she hissed back to him, her hand tightening on the handle of her beer mug. I hate them. I want to be normal, not this ...

But I do understand, Stare, exactly what you feel, he replied, grinning and leaning back. She watched him through their connection raise his own glass to his lips and drink deep. I am in your head.

The kenku wished she could scowl at that moment, but instead opted for a simple roll of the eyes. Huffing she straightened a little, gathering herself as she prepared to say all she needed to Nosdyn. All she wanted. All she could.

"He made me immortal," she said quietly. "Properly, I mean. I have already died once. And I grew wings, for no reason. Also - we have an enemy now. Greater than any before, far worse than that abominable Heysan. Vitruvion you see-" she broke off, lifting her chin and gazing out of the window. "Vitruvion, it seems, has a half brother who wants nothing more than to destroy him, us and all that has Vitruvion's name to it. A half brother who had someone brought my own dead brother back from the dead, as an undead creature who does not remember me, and who has so far killed, tortured and caused ruin to our lives. He brought our city to its knees, and it took a lot of money and a lot of organisation to stop it from starving."
    Last edited by Stare; 06-18-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    The Thayne were no mystery to Nosdyn.

The exiled one considered Stare's words very carefully. He has a Brother... Nosdyn was no idiot. He had some knowledge of The Thayne Codex and it's writings. He rubbed his chin thoughtfully as Stare spoke about immortality and wings. She's asking me to kill a Thayne. Nosdyn understood the severity of the situation at hand. He'd heard tell of the man named Joshua Cronen...supposedly he'd killed Draconus recently.

But those were old wive's tales and stories spoken to scare troubled children. Nosdyn looked at Stare. What he said next would seem very unusual coming from him. "Thaynes can be killed." Nosdyn said, if the rumours about Lord Draconus were true...a Thayne could die at mortal hands. He kept his eyes locked on Stare. He had a very serious expression on his face. "You're saying we have to kill a Thayne are you not?" Nosdyn was no idiot. He was a soldier who had some understanding of what Vitruvion really was.

Nosdyn thought very carefully about what was being asked.

"Your enemies are also my enemies." Nosdyn said calmly. "The one named Joshua Cronen killed Lord Draconus. The Thayne can die by MORTAL hands." Something had happened that had weakened The Thaynehood. He was not entirely certain what it was. But there was that SOMETHING there. Nosdyn had that same serious expression on his face. "I will follow you into the depths of Hell itself." Nosdyn said without hesitation or fear.

Nosdyn looked away from Stare for a moment or two. He looked down at his drink and took a pull of it. He needed to relax, he needed to rest...but Stare needed him more. Rest can wait. There is something we have to do. Nosdyn opened his eyes at that point. "Tell me about our enemy." Nosdyn said very carefully. His eyes narrowed at that point. She needs help to kill a Thayne... He thought and waited for her response.