Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 5,394
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Stare stopped, frozen and stuck half way to lifting the mug of beer towards her beak, as soon as the word slipped from between the demon's lips.

Thayne.

From what the kenku knew of the Thayne they were god-like creatures who were sometimes worshipped as deities and came from near the beginnings of time. They had a lack of omnipotence, and could come in a variety of forms, from a great sea monster known as the Leviathan, to winged serpent guardians who haunted the woods of Alerar. They were a separate group of godlike beings, who had their own pantheon residing alongside the others, but were more human-like than others, with individual personalities and they were said to champion certain attributes - encourage them, as opposed to be the embodiment of them. It was common knowledge also that they were the ones to have gifted the Tap itself which was a source of great magic and once believed to be one of the only sources of magic.

For one such as Nosdyn, who had seen the power Vitruvion possessed, it was not exactly a stretch too far to consider that he might in fact be a Thayne. Now that Stare thought about it, the noble mage did certainly fit a few of the attributes - he was a god, he had once been worshipped and he lacked omnipotence. What was vastly different, however, was the fact that he was not a god of any particular thing, but rather the clone-son of a deity of a whole planet. So therefore, more powerful.

Potentially. Yet, it was still not far off the truth, and Nosdyn had guessed it.

Her heart thumped in her chest as Vitruvion's awareness drew and he snatched into her mind with a desperation. Tell him the usual lie, he hissed. Refuse flatly that I am a Thayne, that this villainous brother of mine is a Thayne.

The kenku breathed in as she set her beer down, watching Nosdyn carefully. My lord, he came up with this theory all by himself. He is not an idiot and may not accept the half celestial as a truth. You are not exactly the angelic type. Except in looks. Certainly, in looks Vitruvion could be said to be an angel.

I did not realise you thought me so, Vitruvion dryly replied to her errant thought. Quickly, she hid it away. However, Stare, the matter of the fact it you can tell him I am not a Thayne without lying, as I am not. As for my brother ... he is closer to dung.

Rubbing her hand along her beak in exasperation Stare groaned slightly before opening her beak to properly answer.

"First, no I am not asking you to kill a Thayne. If you are willing we are headed to the Raiaera harbour where Sir Elssmith's three ships rest sometimes in the dock, if you are able to. One has been destroyed, which we know was due to his half-brother, and now the two are in danger, with one gone missing. I have been asked to find you and ask if you would be interested in accompanying me to find out what happened to it." She paused, "not that exciting, sorry."

"Secondly, Vitruvion is not a Thayne. He is just an incredibly powerful mage, who happens to be able to read demonic, and most other languages ... he's half celestial. As is his brother."

She crossed the fingers of her hand on the mug secretly, hoping that Nosdyn would not notice, and that he would believe her.
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

Legend

EXP: 45,220, Level: 9
    Level completed: 13%, EXP required for next Level: 8,780
    Level completed: 13%,
    EXP required for next Level: 8,780

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Not...a Thayne...? Nosdyn knew there were several other pantheons and religious beliefs on Althanas. He wasn't sure if Stare was telling the entire truth or not, but it did not matter. He would respect her viewpoint on the matter for the time being. Celestial...that term is not in The Thayne Codex. That deserves some looking into... Nosdyn rubbed his chin thoughtfully as he listened to Stare speaking about what was going on. He took his goblet and took another pull of the drink in it. It was a juice style of concoction, not terribly strong...but Nosdyn did not mind. After the effects of the brutal teleportation spell, Nosdyn would eat and drink just about anything to energize himself once more.

He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. Though he was not a genius in the tradition sense of the term...Nosdyn was not stupid. By any stretch of it. He had no choice but to accept Stare's explanation of Vitruvion and his brother's race for the time being. ...Celestial. Again, I must study The Thayne Codex further. Maybe there are clues there about this race and it's power. One thing Nosdyn did not like was facing an enemy without previous knowledge of how the enemy operated. It was a carry-over from his days spent as a criminal's enforcer in Ettermire. Nosdyn looked at Stare at that point. His eyes were narrowed and he was deep in serious thought. He did not want to say the wrong thing, however as to not offend his friend.

Nosdyn knew that they would have to plan and form proper strategy. The dock mission in Raiaera sounded important. Boring...but important nonetheless. I've done similar work for The Boss in Ettermire's secret underground crime syndicate. I must be certain to do whatever is asked of me to the best of my capacity. Stare and Vitruvion are not that different form The Boss's own agenda. I wonder how he is faring these days and if I should go and check up on him and his organization...? Nosdyn nodded when Stare stopped talking.

"I accept." Was his simple response. He had nowhere to go, nowhere to call home. His very clan had been stolen from him. Though maybe it was something I did to myself after all. Nosdyn thought to himself. Something about the traumatic events in The Tular Plains had affected Nosdyn a lot. He wasn't sure what it was exactly...but his purpose had been stolen from him. Ripped asunder like a child's rag doll and left to rot. Nosdyn was one of the last few real men in the world. A Demon of Haidia forced to reconcile the fact that the world no longer needed his kind. He'd become nothing more than an enforcer, a sellsword. He did not mind that. "Do you have a room rented here or anything like that? I'm very tired and in a lot of pain. I must rest for the night before we travel again together." Nosdyn said carefully. He continued. "I'm trying to understand this situation, but I'm willing to help. I just want to fight by your side once more." Nosdyn said curiously. He tried to smile, but it was difficult doing that with the pain he felt...

Legend

EXP: 59,606, Level: 10

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    "I do not ..."

She paused before she sat up, thinking about where she had left her fine black chocobo. "But I may be able to find a place."

They spent the night in a barn, as unbecoming as it was. Stare knew that Vitruvion himself would reel with the idea of sleeping with the pigs, the sheep and their steeds. She remained awake for some time, looking across to Nosdyn and realising just how much he had lost. His family, his people, his position ... She had lost much, but found something else. A position, a home in some respects, suffering that had made her stronger.

Little did she sleep that night, as she watched the back of the demon's head, and she imagined what hells they as both been through, literally and figuratively. Eventually she was able to let her awareness of the world fade and come to a fitful slumber, but it was short and aggressive.

She dreamed she was on beach, wuth the seas stretched before her. It was dark, however, and the sand itself was course and grainy, uncomfortably digging into the softer parts of her feet. What was most horrifying was the light - it was a brilliant orange and as she looked up she could see the source. Ships, as far as the eye could see all burning.

And the waters itself, were burning.

They rode the next day as fast as chocobo and rented horse would allow, thundering hooves and quick claws carrying them north. They passed small villages, collecting the few supplies they might need and on the second night they slept under the stars. Again, Stare hardly slept, her heart heavy and little comfort in her soul.

Again, she saw the burning sea in her dream, but this time there were figures scurrying up the masts, above the flames. She cried out several times for someone to help them, but nobody seemed to hear. As she spread her own wings to attempt she heard a crackle, smelt cinder and ... Her wings were burning also.

She woke up in a sweat, pushing at her feathers hectically. She rolled, padded, breathed heavily - but felt nothing. It took her some full seconds to realise she was not on fire.

Slowly she forced a breath, then collapsed, allowing the ground to support her and lay there. Comfortable, but terrified and confused she lay there until morning, before they were going again. Before they charged towards the harbour where the second of Vitruvion's ships, the Spirited Wave was expected to lie.

Except when they got there ... She was gone.
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Time passed...

Nosdyn regained his strength as he decided to stay in that town long term.

That particular day he was assisting some locals with rebuilding their home and adding more value to it.

The town was all right as far as surface-dweller towns went.

Nosdyn pitched in with odd jobs where he could but a part of him missed his friend Stare.

He knew she had needed him for SOME big job at that point, so many moons ago, but it was beyond his control. He knew that Vitruvion still did not fully trust him...at least it appeared that way. The Gods played on their own playing field...with their own rules. Nosdyn thought to himself. He stood there without a top on, sweating in the heat of the afternoon soon. It was hard work, a hard life but Nosdyn learned he liked working with his large hands.

He worked for a paltry salary those days. Nothing like what Vitruvion would offer. One of his friends, a female Drow, looked at him as they worked. "You are thinking about her are you not?"

Nosdyn narrowed his eyes for a moment, wiping sweat off his brow. "I believe so yes. I'm not entirely certain because she left without much of a word. It's all right I am certain her path and mine will cross again someday."

The Drow nodded. "You have a gentle soul, Nosdyn of clan Krotar." She handed Nosdyn a skin of fresh water.

Nosdyn hesitated only a moment but did take the gift. Somewhere down the line...people worked together of all races. Either necessity called for union, or other matters. But he learned that the people of the town could function even with his fear aura intact. Rather, they endured it and never once protested. They are a conquered people but strong in their own way...I don't mind living with them. A place to calm home...I wonder if they feel the same. Nosdyn thought to himself.

As he stood there he helped his companions with their chores. He was strong, and had untapped strength still lurking somewhere deep within. It was a blessing of the fell blood within him. He could work longer and harder than most of the other mortal folks. How long had it been? Days, Week, or years? Nosdyn was not entirely certain. He only knew time had passed since he'd settled down in the town. The Demon, exiled from the tular plains.

He often thought of home in his time alone.

They have grown weak and no longer the warriors of old... Nosdyn thought to himself. His eyes always looked to the distance, wondering what might be...what could be. Was this all there was for me? A forgotten Hero in a backwater town. If that is my Fate so be it. Stare...I miss you. Nosdyn thought to himself. If time permitted, perhaps he would claim one of the females of the town as a mate. They were an agreeable and hard-working lot. Plenty of good qualities. He could be a leader with them...if the need for such arose...

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    She sat in a public house, at the edge of a city she knew well.

Not as well of course as Beinost itself, where her lord, employer, god and otherwise master lived, and thus she did too. Now here, in Radasanth, she was becoming familiar with the strange old network of streets and the mismatched houses spoke of the old wars and battles, including the current situation with the Assembly. But then politics were politics, and, as Vitruvion said, "mortals would always be mortals." They would find ways of making anything violent.

She was there at the edge of the harbour because of one thing - she had failed. Or they had failed. Two ships now out of the three Vitruvion owned were under water, with the Spirited Wave had burnt upon the sea.

Stare had flown right over the water when her and Nosdyn had found it gone. Gone, from where it should have been North of the harbour of the town she had met the demon. She has needed to settle on a fishing sloop, throwing them money before continuing. And meanwhile she had abandoned her friend with whom she had only just been reconnected with. Then she had kept going on, right on until she had seen the burning water, and - and -

She sighed into her cider. She had not been kind to Nosdyn in just leaving him. Of course, he had been given money for his troubles, but her road had brought her to Radasanth in order to ensure that Vitruvion's last ship was well. With the Zephyr and the Spirited Wave gone all their hope now lay with the Siren's Wake. Which was due to come in any hour now.

So she had been told. And with the added security hired for that ship, there was hope it would be successful.

She shook her head and raised a hand into the sky. A bartender nodded and bustled over in the quiet tavern, knowing Stare as a kenku of some reputation. Stare asked for paper and a quill, and within moments she was brought what she asked. All for a small fee.

And she wrote.

Nosdyn, she said, hoping that Vitruvion was listening. But he had many things in his mind, so it was possible he would not be. I am sorry we left so abruptly. You did things when we met that make me worried. And that elf ...

Just please let me know you are safe. I need to wait a single day to ensure the safety of the last ship, then we can meet again. If you wish. If you want.

Stare.

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Nosdyn had obtained the letter.

It is her hand-writing...Stare... One last job needed doing. One last mission, one last order. Nosdyn looked over the carefully scribed letters one more time and placed the letter back in his packs. He was already preparing for the worst. A few days ago a bunch of ships were burned into the sea, a fleet of sorts. Nosdyn had some suspicion that they belonged to Vitruvion. He would never know for certain though. He looked at Stare for a long time as he approached the meeting area.

"I thought...I would never see you again. All I wanted was to fight by your side one more time." Nosdyn explained. He looked at Stare.

"We will work together to finish this job." Nosdyn said. He knew that somewhere out there, on the waters near Benoist there were answers for him. A greater purpose...something he longed for. Wind came in from the west, the smell of recent carnage. Nosdyn readied himself with and looked at Stare with his yellow, glowing eyes. Nosdyn extended his bulky hand towards Stare.

A lot had changed since they first met. He remembered it like it was yesterday...a casual meeting between friend. Allied. Potential lovers. Nosdyn was an exile looking for a place to truly belong. Alongside Stare, he found a purpose. No...a reason to fight. Nosdyn thought to himself. He waited for her to shake his hand in agreement to the deal. "Let us finish this job...together. Our job...our mission." There was a strange sincerity in his voice. From the citizens of Benoist, Nosdyn had learned a lot. There was a need for strong warriors like himself in the world. The strong protected the weak...defeated those who would harm their world.

As Nosdyn stood there looking at Stare he considered for a brief moment what was about to happen. His eyes narrowed and he looked at Stare very carefully, his opinions of his friend never changed. Never once. He considered her an ally always. They had a common thread together. ...Vitruvion... The missing link, the final piece of the puzzle.

Nosdyn looked at Stare for and carefully worded the next part. "Just tell me who we have to kill." And he grinned at that point. The Demon was a lot of things at that point in his life. But he was loyal...that would never change.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Her smile reached her eyes when she saw the demon, her dear friend and ally.

Indeed, he was still in a way sworn to her, or to Vitruvion, in what ever way that book and ceremony had worked. Perhaps it had worn off, but the first time they had ever met he had been persuaded by some spell to give fealty. Now that seemed to have passed, or his loyalty had remained and no longer he was magically bound to anything, if he ever was. The blue haired elf had been part of that adventure, and now she had gone, not been seen for some days.

She gestured to a back door as he entered into the small, private room of the pub she was still in. As they walked, and she stepped in beside Nosdyn she began to answer his query.

"As far as I know there is no one to kill. Or not so much. When I chased the ship, the Spirited Wave, I found it burning, and there was little I could do. It is destroyed, and the crew mostly dead. Some of them got away on small boats, and they are being treated now, but the ship is gone."

She escorted the demon towards the harbour, where the strong scent of salty air hit them directly. Gulls screeched overhead, like mournful creatures of death and fate. In their claws they held the remains of fish and contents of a midden heap, which they chewed or dropped on unsuspecting victims. These creatures the kenku knew well, however, and the dangers were limited. Instead, her attention was on the mighty boats coming into rest.

"The last ship Vitruvion owns, the Siren's Wake is due to come into harbour in an hour or so. With the Zephyr and the Spirited Wave gone, sunk or burnt, this is the only merchant vessel he has left."

She pointed, steering them down onto a wooden walkway, built on an older stone base.

"But I am glad you are here. We will need to inspect it, make sure that there is no danger. I am sorry I left you the way that I did, but things being what they are ..." she tailed off with a sad look in her eyes. "I have missed you."

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Terms...conditions. Their world was a dark one filled with dark deeds. Nosdyn cared for Stare...perhaps more than she would ever know. He listened very carefully to the terms of the job. His mind was already reverting back to the days he spent working with The Boss. The Boss was a brutal employer...not terribly different from Vitruvion himself. There were entities fitting of this dark world. Nosdyn looked up for a moment, it was night. His type of conditions to work. He returned his attention to Stare.

Nosdyn rubbed his chin. "If there is a threat aboard the vessel...it would be an obvious distraction for something else." Nosdyn was thinking like a proper demon general at that point. Though truth be told...he'd left life on the Tular Plains behind a long time ago. In all honesty..it had cut Nosdyn off directly. Nosdyn was trying to think and plan. His eyes narrowed for a moment. "These sorts of deep recon jobs were some of the worst. When I was working for my former Employer...deep rec jobs were only given to the most skilled of us. I never said no. That last time was when Jake interfered." Nosdyn thought about the past as he walked with Stare to their target. Something did not sit well with him about the mission.

Nosdyn looked at Stare. "They did not take hostages...this is something personal." Nosdyn said to his friend. Nosdyn was trying to understand the truth behind the senseless destruction. "Hostages are worth more alive...are you certain we have the whole story here?" Nosdyn had to know exactly what he was getting into. It would help make him as impartial as possible to the job at hand.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    "No I am not certain we have the whole story," she said with a sigh as they waited in the shadow of the crates they hid behind. "But there are also things that I have not told you."

That was, the extent to what her and Vitruvion's enemy, his mysterious half-brother Vindrexis, had dedicated himself to destroying Vitruvion's world. How he had attacked a brewery, kidnapped and killed, destroyed the ships, made Vitruvion begin to doubt his own sanity at times, and threatened her. Her.

"What you need to do is trust me now," she said quietly, as she watched the ship beginning to dock. "Please."

And she glanced back to her friend, a smile in her gleaming eyes. Then she looked back to the ship, with the bold writing of the Siren's Wake emblazoned upon the hull. It was a large merchant vessel, clearly made for speed and not war, yet it was covered in mercenaries, both those who were employed by Vitruvion on a permanent basis, and those who had been hired from alternative arrangements from other sources. These guards were there to protect the ship, Stare knew, but whether they had been compromised was another question.

Mainly, she needed to ensure that they were still loyal. She needed to sneak aboard the ship and inspect the Captain's quarters. To find his log books and identification papers, and all of those of the crew and ensure all was well. And to have a sneaky demon with her ... well that was a benefit.

"We need to find our way to the Captain's cabin," she said in a hush, ducking back as a one-legged cook stumped his way across in front of them. She pulled Nosdyn back around the crate. Pausing, she took a moment, then hooked her beak back around the side. "No one must see us. Then we need to check that all is well with the books. Only then will I be satisfied."

"Up for some stealthiness?" she asked, as she noted a gap between the sailors - and a straight road for the plank that led onto the ship.