View Poll Results: What is Althanas to you?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • A place to write and collaborate with likeminded people

3 13.64%
  • A place that offers a high quality hybrid of writing and roleplaying

13 59.09%
  • A place to unwind with your writing style of choice

1 4.55%
  • Other (please comment)

5 22.73%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    I agree fully on all of that, Shin.
    Last edited by Garron; 01-03-2018 at 05:49 PM.
    "My life is simple, my food is plain, and my quarters are uncluttered. In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed."

Administrator

EXP: 87,404, Level: 12
    Level completed: 81%, EXP required for next Level: 2,596
    Level completed: 81%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,596

GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroke
    Race
    Human
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsou Vaan Osiris View Post
    I agree with this a million, zillion percent. You, right there, listed the ingredients for everything right with Althanas. But do you know where it has lost its way?

When members can come on and make 8/10 threads submitted just smut threads, with little to no intention of achieving anything your post nails (there is one in particular I can actually back this statistic up with).

When the Althies are nominated and only 3/10 people can name a thread for best quest or best battle in a year that had three very solid JC's, the cream of this website. As a member of staff who pours hours into reading people's work, and trying to give them comprehensive, meaningful advice, do you know how much that pisses me off? I can spend up to five hours at a time reading, appraising and helping for it to lead to this: a situation where people would just rather submit a sexually orientated thread to a workshop than write something worthwhile with character development.

I have become seriously disillusioned with the direction this place is headed. I know I am not alone. If that lands me in hot water, so be it. I miss the days where writers would come here and weave great stories, even if the quality wasn't amazing.
    Nothing quite wrong with smut. Granted, it does seem to take up a large quantity of currently active threads. In the golden days, we had enough members that the smut remained in the underground of the site. People who knew it was there, knew there was quite a bit of it. Those that wanted more of the sword and shield adventure, didn't pay it any mind. Those were days where you'd wake up to 80+ new posts a day. Where you simply could not read nor follow everyone posting. Those were days where I had 10+ IM windows open talking stories or ideas.

As times have changed, our niche has grown smaller. The role play writing is outdated compared to video games, social media, and the thousands of TV channels versus what... 60? 70? back then on cable? Our entertainment options have broadened. The players and members looking for some high fantasy adventure can get it with Skyrim, Final Fantasy, and an infinite amount of mobile games or JRPGS. Even watching people play these games on twitch can fill that escapism itch where we want to slay a dragon or wipe out a bandit camp responsible for raiding a local village.

I can understand the frustration of seeing the place you had many memories change. But the way it also reads is you're upset that the vast majority of content just isn't content you prefer. Much like the arguments back in the day when furry/anthro characters were running rampant. Also, our member base has grown a bit older. Our average age group is no longer 13-18. We're dealing with young adults here 20+. Sex and darker themes are more prevalent. The wonder of adventure is dull, overwritten. How many times can one adventurer find treasure, save an innocent, or triumph over evil?

Much like those times, the theme of smut will also wane. Though maybe it'll transition to straight macabre, horror, or slash material? Maybe back to good ol stick and board adventure!

Who knows? I'm just enjoying the ride, even if it's not my cup of tea.

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Only excluding the bare bones "chat style" role play. Which, can be quite wild and problematic. Do you remember AOL RP chat rooms? I do, and no quantity of liquor can make it go away.
    Yes! I remember the old days of chat room RP! You're right about no amount of liquor can make it go away. xD It's where the love of writing creatively all started for me, though. Then it was writing character sheets, stories, story posts, battles and feedback in blogs, then it was on to forums. What a ride it's been.
    Last edited by Garron; 01-03-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    "My life is simple, my food is plain, and my quarters are uncluttered. In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed."

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Lye View Post
    Nothing quite wrong with smut. Granted, it does seem to take up a large quantity of currently active threads.
    Exactly, and we're giving people a 65 score for it. Some people don't even have to pay the AP. Bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lye
    In the golden days, we had enough members that the smut remained in the underground of the site. People who knew it was there, knew there was quite a bit of it. Those that wanted more of the sword and shield adventure, didn't pay it any mind.
    We had enough decent writers around who could do more than just waggle their funsticks about. I don't think it is a massive co-incidence that when most of them left, the JC forum dried up.

Those were days where you'd wake up to 80+ new posts a day. Where you simply could not read nor follow everyone posting. Those were days where I had 10+ IM windows open talking stories or ideas.
    Fantastic times. Perhaps I am living in the past, but it is hard to not love those times.

As times have changed, our niche has grown smaller. The role play writing is outdated compared to video games, social media, and the thousands of TV channels versus what... 60? 70? back then on cable? Our entertainment options have broadened. The players and members looking for some high fantasy adventure can get it with Skyrim, Final Fantasy, and an infinite amount of mobile games or JRPGS. Even watching people play these games on twitch can fill that escapism itch where we want to slay a dragon or wipe out a bandit camp responsible for raiding a local village.
    Doubtless. Yet I have across countless young talented writers who grew up in the era of gaming and managed to use their talents on here. Fenn, Ailsa, Redford, and so on.

I can understand the frustration of seeing the place you had many memories change. But the way it also reads is you're upset that the vast majority of content just isn't content you prefer.
    Things change, and I've never been afraid of change on any level. But this isn't change - this is eradication of our identity on an industrial scale. I don't prefer one style of content to another as long as its creative and free thinking. I just don't think smut for the sake of smut qualifies.

Much like the arguments back in the day when furry/anthro characters were running rampant. Also, our member base has grown a bit older. Our average age group is no longer 13-18. We're dealing with young adults here 20+. Sex and darker themes are more prevalent. The wonder of adventure is dull, overwritten. How many times can one adventurer find treasure, save an innocent, or triumph over evil?
    Sorry, but no. The fact that Althanas has been going as long as it has is because people have imaginations and find different ways to write and quest. Just saying "oh, well we've run out of ideas so we better oil up and get fucking instead" doesn't cut it. I've never had to do that once between age 16 and 32 (now), and I was shagging anything that moved in those times.

Much like those times, the theme of smut will also wane. Though maybe it'll transition to straight macabre, horror, or slash material? Maybe back to good ol stick and board adventure! Who knows? I'm just enjoying the ride, even if it's not my cup of tea.
    Maybe you are right. Maybe i'm just old and grumpy, eh.

Adventurer

EXP: 5,465, Level: 3
    Level completed: 12%, EXP required for next Level: 3,535
    Level completed: 12%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,535

GP

Name
    Camille Arianna Dark
    Coming from someone that personally absolutely love this site for me it’s a little bit of all the options. I, myself know how intimidating it can be to submit your work for judgement. I love constructive criticism but also do sometimes take things personally. (Breaker, love ya babes for dealing with my emotional self haha.) For me I am a very weak technical writer, I focus more on descriptive elements then punctuation and grammar which hurts me. So I see where everyone is coming from but I don’t think the option was aggressive at all that Chris put.

I do feel that the site should get back to more workshops and also focusing on quality of the threads but sometimes you get an idea and run wild with it. I know I am bad at once I post on the site I don’t go back and read through and edit. I also miss the big threads that we all did together like Breaker posted above. I haven’t really seen any here since I have been back which is sad because that’s also how people branch out and explore other people in an open atmosphere. Hell thoughts what started Breaker and McKinley.

I love you all and I don’t think this poll should be taken personal.
    * Gnarloc & Camille* Winner of Best Althanas Couple.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    I think Althanas is what people want it to be, and if people are getting some good out of it, that is what is important. It is important in the foremost that people are here because they want to be, not because they feel any pressure or anything.

For me, it is a place to improve your writing, and that is what I would love people to see it as. I chose the second option, because that is what it is to me. For those who purely see it as a place to write some fun things, and not particuarly improve, I would say that that is okay, as everyone is individual. We still, though, clearly have a large group of people, the majority, it seems from the poll, who are here to improve their writing in some way (whether alongside writing for fun or purely to improve) and that is really encouraging as that is what Althanas was originally intended to do. That is why we have our unique rubric. For those who are here just to have fun writing - I say that there is no shame in that at all. Just remember that there are people who are here to write for improvement sake, and for those people to remember that there are folk here who are here just for fun.

We are all different people, I think is what I am saying. Yes, the majority of us seem to be heading towards wanting to improve writing moreover or equal to writing for fun.

Honestly, this site comes in peaks and troughs. We go through times of little to no activity, then huge surges like we seem to be now. I love this site, love the community and everyone in it. I think this poll was great in finding out what the majority of folk want from the site, but also helped to reveal what others think of it too, and has given us some really valuable insight.

Thank you for everyone who has made comments.

Everyone now have some Headbutt that Philomel made especially for you.
    Last edited by Philomel; 01-03-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.

Apathy Elemental

EXP: 114,186, Level: 14
    Level completed: 68%, EXP required for next Level: 4,814
    Level completed: 68%,
    EXP required for next Level: 4,814

GP

Name
    Madison Freebird
    Race
    Briarheart

View Profile
    I tried to write a thread that would've forced canon-killed all sexual desire on the site so you wouldn't have to see smut threads anymore, but I was told it wouldn't get approved. So I did my part.

Adventurer

EXP: 5,465, Level: 3
    Level completed: 12%, EXP required for next Level: 3,535
    Level completed: 12%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,535

GP

Name
    Camille Arianna Dark
    Quote Originally Posted by Briarheart View Post
    I tried to write a thread that would've forced canon-killed all sexual desire on the site so you wouldn't have to see smut threads anymore, but I was told it wouldn't get approved. So I did my part.
    As someone that writes a lot of the smut threads on this site, you stick to what you are good at. I am a lover not a fighter, Andy don't try and change me! -insert over dramatic girl sobbing here.-
    * Gnarloc & Camille* Winner of Best Althanas Couple.

EXP: 15,383, Level: 5
    Level completed: 24%, EXP required for next Level: 4,617
    Level completed: 24%,
    EXP required for next Level: 4,617

GP

Name
    Eteri Yoko
    Race
    Half Human Half Nekojin
    Things change, and I've never been afraid of change on any level. But this isn't change - this is eradication of our identity on an industrial scale. I don't prefer one style of content to another as long as its creative and free thinking. I just don't think smut for the sake of smut qualifies.
    Honestly;

It sounds like you really don't like smut threads or threads that contain sexual content. Which is fine; but if its an issue that is affecting the site you can either limit it; or put threads that are purely smut in their own section where they gain less exp?

I personally, when I write smut tend to also throw in a lot of story into it too: there's only been one time where it was pure smut and I personally wouldn't mind it going into like a 'after dark' section of the forum or whatever, and getting less exp for it. That way people can still write all the dirty deeds they want, but it won't be on the main section or the main focus of the site

Exactly, and we're giving people a 65 score for it. Some people don't even have to pay the AP. Bargain.
    I see no smut threads in the Workshop? I see one M rated thread, and that isn't smut its got some gore in it but thats it.
    And its up to the rp people who pays what AP, if someone with more AP is willing to use it then by all means let them.
    I am cat gurl, gib me ur soul

EXP: 10,420, Level: 4
    Level completed: 29%, EXP required for next Level: 3,580
    Level completed: 29%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,580

GP

Name
    Samantha Ambria
    A creative writing site that facilitates interaction between players with role-playing elements.

However I feel the RoG is stifling and cripples ideas that don't fit in the neat little box. It's an opinion I've harbored for some time as others know. The gygaxian totalitarianism has gotten into frustrating amounts of minutae that can tired people to the point they stop posting level updates because they'd rather just write at a lower level than actually go through the process.