GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsou Vaan Osiris View Post
    1. The absolute abolition of auto-scoring 65 for workshops
    Althanas means a lot of things to different people. I'll tell you right now, from an ownership perspective, all I care about is activity. The trend of writing right now is for fun. Indeed, Lorenor showed me Valucre today and they have over 100 active members with no judgment system. We are cooler than them, offer more draws, yet are far behind in activity. Flexibility in writing is paramount to any choice I make for Althanas. You all might disagree, but that's why I see things how I do. Auto scoring of 65 in workshops was designed to get more people to use them, and it seems to have worked.
    2. If number one is impossible, then this:

More workshop feedback.

Seriously, guys. If we ARE going to maintain the status quo, then let's make a solid effort to give the people who submit there with good intentions some actual feedback. Dirks has wanted for some time a policy whereby one member of staff is required to post at least one piece of feedback on each workshop, whoever it is. Let's do it, me included. I have no valid excuse (other than time, but who has that anyway) to not do it either.
    I totally agree. We made workshop prizes ridiculous, yet no one (save a select few contribute). What can I do to change this. From a staffing end, I'll admit that it is still a goal to have at least one judge comment on a workshop, but resources are thin. If people aren't jumping at the bit to contribute to the workshop, I don't really find it suprising that no one is jumping at the bit to be a judge.

Also good stuff.

EXP: 485, Level: 1
    Level completed: 25%, EXP required for next Level: 1,515
    Level completed: 25%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,515

GP

Name
    Henry
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    I think what Pav was actually meaning and what I think might be useful, is more along the lines of 'notable events in the world' news feed. Like, Raeria (I can never spell it) how is the reconstruction going there? How is the civil war in Corone simmering? Is it done? Major events that can can impact the threads people want to do maybe. Like "Current State of Affairs" for the world. Who the big players that are canon are to be aware of, things like that.

Supreme Overlord

EXP: 96,913, Level: 13
    Level completed: 50%, EXP required for next Level: 7,087
    Level completed: 50%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,087

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Red View Post
    Maybe a "Training" area can be implemented. You know, a place where people can try out their abilities (Old & New) and get help when trying to describe the ability. They can also be told what is classified as power gaming and what is not. Have a few "Trainers" be set aside specifically for the training area. It is all up to the trainee on what they want.
    I'll pass this along to Philomel for Stonevail, but I figure a new post in the RPC might actually be a good thing. High profile (not buried in a subforum) in a commonly traveled forum. Moreover, I think that most people right now get character ideas and breakdowns in the chat room, does that sound right?

Supreme Overlord

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Philomel View Post
    The one thing that would be an area to look into maybe is more opportunities to gain AP. Right now the only operable ones are taking part in a vignette and workshop replies. As the wiki is still in progress, as is the canon submission, for 4.0, which is perfectly understandable as these things take time (and if memory serves these were other ways to gain AP) perhaps thoughts could come from this.
    The original plan was to allow it for participation in guided quests, canon quests, canon submissions, and for general Althanas related purposes (say someone posts a good article on articles (pun intended) in the RPC and helps players practice their writing therein. That's still my plan, but with my current kabash on canon while I get the wiki functional, a lot of these things aren't possible.

Supreme Overlord

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    Is there an app that tracks wherever or not you actually read other people's threads? Perhaps some sort of tick box system or ability to add commentary to individual posts like in a google doc? People who read other work can then add notes up until the thread is 'closed', i.e submitted. There are plenty of ways to encourage community writing without adding currency or role playing elements to it.
    Yes, I currently only have it active for administrators. Would others be interested in this, and if so, why?

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    In that light then, Dirks, having such things as making it compulsory for things such as the Gisela to have an entrance fee of 5 AP might need to be altered possibly? Or make temporary measures for a while until the wiki gets up, for more AP to be made? Is there a way for Gold to be transferred to AP?

Thanks for taking the time to do this.
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.

Supreme Overlord

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by TaintedBushido View Post
    Maybe if you didn't hide feedback behind a paywall people would be more inclined to seek it out. We had someone who was doing shit posts in the Workshop threads for AP so he could buy a boat. He even freely admitted to it, when it was painfully clear he wasn't following along with the threads in question and asked questions that could have been answered if he had read them. The quality of feedback is greatly diminished by such acts it makes the entire workshop principal a joke and not a particularly funny one at that.
    That particular situation is being handled. We're drafting very clear expectations for feedback to get certain awards. As to the so-called "paywall," the reality is even with our diminished forces and the so-called decreased in quality of writing at the site (which is patently false, Mr. Shinsou), I simply do not have the staff resources to offer "free" judgments. Yes, that's what makes Althanas unique, but like I said before I don't really have people jumping at the bit to join staff and judge. For the foreseeable future, I plan to keep things in the realm of you get out what you put in.

Supreme Overlord

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rambler View Post
    I think what Pav was actually meaning and what I think might be useful, is more along the lines of 'notable events in the world' news feed. Like, Raeria (I can never spell it) how is the reconstruction going there? How is the civil war in Corone simmering? Is it done? Major events that can can impact the threads people want to do maybe. Like "Current State of Affairs" for the world. Who the big players that are canon are to be aware of, things like that.
    The ultimate goal is to have an active timeline of Althanas where players can have their role in canon recognized. It would be very easy to add this to the stream. Of course, I need to get to that point in the canon system.

Would anyone be interested in taking up the canon mantle, assuming I can get coding for it, who isn't overly protective of it?

EXP: 31,911, Level: 7
    Level completed: 62%, EXP required for next Level: 3,089
    Level completed: 62%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,089

GP

Name
    Taka
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Dirks View Post
    That particular situation is being handled. We're drafting very clear expectations for feedback to get certain awards. As to the so-called "paywall," the reality is even with our diminished forces and the so-called decreased in quality of writing at the site (which is patently false, Mr. Shinsou), I simply do not have the staff resources to offer "free" judgments. Yes, that's what makes Althanas unique, but like I said before I don't really have people jumping at the bit to join staff and judge. For the foreseeable future, I plan to keep things in the realm of you get out what you put in.
    Oh no, I totally agree we don't have the resources for it. However, I also think that the system as is currently encoruages spamming on both ends, and that the rewards for meaningful contribution don't equate to much beyond those of merely participating. Especially when the costs of things are so high.

Adventurer

EXP: 5,090, Level: 3
    Level completed: 3%, EXP required for next Level: 3,910
    Level completed: 3%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,910

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsou Vaan Osiris View Post
    . If we are going down that road, I could pick every single one of Amari's thirty smut thread submissions out and say "what's the point of the workshops when this shit is happening" but then I'm being disrespectful to those who actually tried to write and use the workshop for what it was intended.
    I don’t find it fair that you are picking on Amari because of the smut threads she does. As someone that is staff of the site I feel like you should encourage writing no matter the type. Activity is activity, no need to be crass and down someone because they write a lot of smut...