Hair Color
    Dark
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    5'10"/ 174 lbs
    Job
    Alerarian Noble

As Godhand emerged victorious, Djakara was suddenly mobbed by Salvarian soldiers begging to know more about the grey haired mercenary. They begged, pleaded with Djakara to give a name, but given the true nature of the business he was running, the young Freiherr wanted anonymity. Still, Djakara couldn’t help but want to hear the chants that were just about to break out from the surface of the buoyant soldier crowd.

“What’s your hero’s name?” another soldier insisted.

“Hardy,” Djakara replied. He wasn’t sure why he came up with that name, but it somehow seemed to fit the way that Godhand had transcended the difficulties and had fought through an amazing amount of pain. Only a truly hardy warrior would have been able to do what the mercenary had done.

Seconds later, chants of “Hardy! Hardy! Hardy!” erupted from the battlefield, only to be interrupted by the sight of the Magistrate of the Salaturn Church falling down from the spire onto a burning wagon and the last of the Sway’s heroes, John Kreskin was downed by Leon Adalbert. It was somewhat embarrassing for Djakara to realize that he had failed where even Leon had succeeded, but he hoped amidst the “Hardy” chants that his failure would be able to fade away.

The battle was over now. There were a few pockets of the most ardent church zealots still fighting, but even some of the peasants who had pledged their lives to the sway less than a few hours ago were now breaking rank. There was just something about seeing three supposed heroes all meeting grizzly deaths so quickly after one another that would cause all but the most ardent supporters to give up their allegiance. Now, that was happening, and Djakara watched as a tired, somewhat wounded Jame looked out over the battlefield from the spire, a pale Salvarian army captain standing near.

Though Djakara would have expected Jame to be the one giving the victory speech, it instead was the Captain. “The trouble on the Salaturn estate is now officially over,” the soldier declared. “Our battle has been won. If you are hurt, get medicine. We will make this church into a fortress now, to serve as a message to the rest of the world.”

“And they’ll probably want our weapons to do it,” Djakara realized. He scowled. Mariah had been useless as far as defending her caravan. He scowled to remember that he had paid her in advance, and figured that at the very least, he could recoup whatever it was that she had taken from a crate. Of the other wagons, one of them was intact, but the Freiherr could already see the Salvarian army captain eyeing it.

The most bitter realization came to Djakara as he thought it over. The Salvarian army that he had been so happy to see, was now the one that was going to undermine his profits. He was sure that Jame and Godhand would have been clever enough to abscond with the things they had wanted for their various concerns, but Djakara doubted after everything that happened, whether he would see any of the profit at all. He couldn’t claim any of the weapons, it would have been a strong sign in Alerar that something had gone awry. Without the wagons and his forces in shambles, Djakara couldn’t get very far. In fact, the young Freiherr worried about even getting back to Alerar, considering he’d have to transverse back through war torn area without nearly as much of the armaments that he’d had getting in that far.

With a sigh, the boy resigned himself to his fate. Djakara had failed this time, but he, unlike the corpses littered around him, would live to show the world.
    Survival and living are concepts you can't equate.

I am a Freiherr! Don't believe me, read Drones.

GP

Name
    Mariah Luna Mitami
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Bright red with snow white flecks
    Eye Color
    Soft red with snow white flecks
    Job
    Enchantress Thief

As Mariah reached the threshold of the church, she could faintly hear that the battle had stopped. There was no sounds of any one dying in the air, it seemed that all the leaders of the battle had...a crash from above jolted Mariah from the silence that reigned over the battlefield.

Shards of glass littered the steps of the church, as the body fell, it landed with a sickening CRUNCH right on top of the burning wagon.. Its body oozed crimson red blood. Curious despite the fact that she knew this man to be dead, Rose crept cautiously closer to examine the body. All she could see was that the man wore white priest robes and a red sash. it seemed that no fatal injuries had been done to him. He had died due to the broken angle of his neck. As flames continued to lick across the man's body, Mariah could soon smell the acrid smell of burnt flesh. The flames also were making it harder to examine the body, as the heat was threatening to burn Mariah as well.

With the peasants,the flames and this new body, it was almost unbearable for the young red haired thief to remain. Covering her nose with the hem of her sweater sleeve, Mariah quickly went to take refuge in the church. Upon entering, Rose could see the furnishings of a church. There was three rows of pews on each side, the benches made from oaken wood. On a raised podium stood a shining cherry wood stand, that the theif could only assume, a priest had used to speak his sermons.

There seemed to be a chill in the air though, it felt to Mariah as if the icy coldness that was outside, had seeped its way into the very core of the church. Shaking a bit, as she walked delicately over a simple cotton rug that made a bright path between the podium and the aisle that separated the pews. She soon reached the priest's speaking podium, moving to study it, she soon saw a decoration that could only be the symbol of the church, though it seemed like it wasn't a normal arms of a holy place.

Sighing as Mariah's eyes drifted over the podium, she soon found a small button, pressing it, a yelp came from her lips as a ladder slowly lowered from a small alcove. Blinking as she looked at the steel ladder, she wondered why it was hidden. Licking her lips, which were now dry from nerves she thought This place is strange, it doesn't feel holy. It feels...as if evil was worshipped here...

Biting her lip as her hands grasped the first rung of the ladder, she slowly made her way up. Her eyes looking left and right as she climbed, she saw one angel, its wings broken and chipped off, it seemed someone had desecrated the more holy aspects of the church. Blinking as her eyes turned left and she saw the remains of what could only be another angel, the base chipped and graying as it seemed its partner mourned the loss of the other one.

Fear was in her heart, as the young thief finally made her way completely up the ladder. She was scared because she feared that at the top, she would meet some demon that had been hidden here. Much to her relief however, she saw Jame staring out of what was a broken window. Realization came to Mari's heart as she planted her feet firmly on the second floor of the church.

Clearing her throat, her eyes were big and wide as she asked Jame lightly 'What happened here Jame? This church...it feels like evil was present here..."

Throbbing Member
    EXP: 101,041, Level: 13
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next level: 2,959
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,959
    GP

Name
    Godhand Striker
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Prematurely Gray
    Eye Color
    Crimson
    Build
    6'2"/205lbs
    Job
    Wine collector

Godhand didn't really have the energy or the presence of mind to know what was going on. With all that bloodloss from his head he sort of felt like he was at the barber's, like when he puts a warm towel around your neck and starts working on your beard and you can just sit back and think about the afterlife. The throbbing of his leg was more noticeable than his heart beat. He was in a bad way but once someone pressed some cloth against the cut he knew it'd be fine. The mercenary had taken far worse beatings than that and from far worse men, too. Real hosses; tough guys that even the devil didn't want on his hands.

The whole damn thing seemed pretty surreal, too. They'd ended up supressing a revolution so they could run some guns past the border only to have them stolen by the Salvarian soldiers they'd saved from almost certain death. The swordsman probably would have been a lot more angry if he hadn't been so damn tired. On the other hand, he'd fight off anybody that tried to take what was his and as far as Djakara was concerned, hey, the kid got what he deserved. He'd worked with some rotten sons of bitches before but never had he encountered such a rare mixture of such high criminal ambitions and such dismal leadership skills. The dumb bastard was behind one of the biggest guns in the world and had still only barely managed to get out of there alive.

"Who the Hell is Hardy?"

The soldiers around him laughed and some Goddamn miscreant poured some piss-poor champagne all over him. Godhand gagged at the combination of bubbles and blood he was taking. "Get the Hell away from me!" He pushed a couple of jubilant Salvarians out of his way and hobbled over to one of the last wagons that still had four wheels, cargo and two horses that were till alive. Hauling himself up to the driver's seat, he addressed the crowd and particularly the joyous general while still holding the rag up to his cut.

"Alright, I'm taking this wagon and getting the Hell out of here. If anybody has a problem with that," he scanned the army suspiciously, "You just let me know right now." There wasn't any answer but the silent grin of the soldiers. Clearly most of them had expected to die. Godhand smiled back, to his surprise, and grabbed the reins. He mushed the horses out unto the main roads and headed back to Corone, away from this country and all it's damn problems.

((Spoils: None. Godhand gave all the guns to his boss, Giacomazzi, upon his return to Radasanth. If I get gold from this quest, just shift it over to exp. OOC Note: Call me J has my permition to assimilate my Pheremones, thus bypassing Godhand's wendigo immunity.))
    Last edited by Godhand; 02-13-08 at 09:47 PM.
    "I almost shook his hand but then I remembered I killed a man."
    -Camus, The Stranger

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
    -Denis Diderot

"But I can smile...And I can smile while I kill..."
    -King Ricardo

"I know this is going to sound like a joke but I am deadly serious: I didn't know it was jubilee week."
    -Johnny Rotten

Meet Mr. Man/My Inventory/Almost Great

Do you know my name?
    EXP: 38,033, Level: 7
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 5,967
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,967
    GP

Name
    Jame Whitizard-Kaosi
    Race
    Half Dragon
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Red
    Build
    6'5" medium build
    Job
    Knight

It took a long time for it to sink in, but Jame had bested the Magistrate. The move he’d used to defeat the Patriarch’s minion had been more visceral than thought out, and the half dragon was certain he’d surprised both himself and his foe. Now, he looked on as Godhand absconded with what the mercenary probably considered his bounty. On principle, Jame both felt he should have applauded and chased after the mercenary who had done the lion’s share of the work, but was now leaving with practically all the profit they’d have fore Raiaera. Jame’s mouth had opened agape when Captain Flynn had suggested that his people would take a cut.

Now, of all people Mariah arrived. Jame wasn’t particularly happy to see her. He had found her tolerable when she was pathetic, only because he wasn’t so heartless that then she couldn’t elicit some sympathy. Now that the real danger was gone, he didn’t want to have to talk to her. Jame was willing to protect her in her time of need, but he wasn’t going to befriend her.

“The evil is burning down there,” Jame replied succinctly, pointing to the fallen body of the burned magistrate. Only then, did the half dragon realize that the noble dwarf Leaves had fallen there too. He sighed. Leaves had been a good driver, surprisingly compassionate to Mariah, and brave enough to lead a wagon into battle with only her and her poor shotgun skills as his support. There was a certain injustice to see someone like that lying in the same pile of burning matter with church raving peasants and a minion of an evil overlord. “Don’t worry about it now…”

Mariah’s reaction was somewhat surprising to Jame. The half dragon had half expected that she would have said something incredibly impudent, completely oblivious to the lives lost around her. Instead, she seemed reflective, as if the suggestion that she had nothing to worry about was in and of itself a fallacy. Mariah sighed as she looked down, her mouth opened once, then shut. Jame could see the pain in her eyes as she slowly whispered, “I know I didn't do much. I know I caused death...” Her eyes looked over at where she knew Leaves was resting and in a soft voice she finished. “I won’t worry as you said, but let me do something to help. Anything, I-” Her eyes fell upon the wounded Captain Flynn, and slowly the white flecks of her eyes deepened in the red as she offered softly, “I can help him, my main use is as a healer....I could heal him, if you ask it of me...”

“If you can heal, go do it…” Jame replied tartly, glad to have Mariah doing something constructive where she would be out of his hair. He figured that he could, in good conscience leave her with Captain Flynn, even if there was a civil war still brewing. At the very least, the Salvarians would need a healer for the time being, especially if they were trying to consolidate a fortress here on the Salaturn estate. “Stay here with Captain Flynn and the rest of his men, and they’ll get you to safety when you’ve done your job,” he said, unsure if he really shouldn’t feel a bit more guilty about passing off a burden.

Without waiting to give Mariah a chance to refuse him, Jame began to walk away, heading down the same secret compartment that the girl had revealed when she’d arrived. If Flynn was going to be getting his weapons in order, then Jame was going to make sure that something got to Raiaera. Defeating a minion of the Patriarch, was satisfying, but it didn’t redeem him, even if it was the minions who had brought him into Salvar in the first place. Unless he brought weapons back with him, Jame didn’t know what he would say to people like Caine Raienbark and Maia when he returned.

Though the flaming debris from the cocktail had damaged most of the goods from Mariah’s wagon, a few crates had been spattered haphazardly that were now being ignored. Jame stacked them together. There were five in all, and while the half dragon couldn’t know for certain what they contained without opening them, he was certain they were at least arms for a garrison. With so many new recruits into Tel Aglarim, supplies had become scarce, and even these would be welcome. Jame gathered them and a few pieces of chainmail that he had found lying near the wreckage that were in mostly good condition. Stealing a bit of twine from one of the Salvarian soldiers, he tied his bundle together, transformed into a dragon and began to fly away. Given what had transpired, he was content to cut his losses.

(Mariah's dialogue and expressions were written by Crimson Rose)
    Last edited by Call me J; 02-12-08 at 09:19 PM.

EXP: 1,862, Level: 1
    Level completed: 94%, EXP required for next level: 138
    Level completed: 94%,
    EXP required for next level: 138
    GP

Name
    Leon Adalbert
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blonde
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'0" / 149 lb.
    Job
    Swashbuckling Merchant

View Profile

Extortion works too well...

So much for staying out of trouble.

Leon's shoulders rose and fell with each breath, the air clouding before him. His blades hung in his hands, wrists limp from exertion. It was done. The bastard was dead, and his conscripted troops were surrendering. A Salvaran soldier clapped him on the back in congratulations, and his stance shook absentmindedly. He stared on at the corpse lying in the snow.

The son of a merchant had killed a man. More than that, he had enjoyed it. It was a rush. His heart beat faster than it had since leaving the City of Lights. He'd killed a demon and over fifty peasants, but the personal investment in killing John Kreskin was more than any of those. He'd killed him because he wanted to, and he liked it.

And he hated himself for it then.

Leon managed to stumble over to the nearest wagon and climb aboard. He sat there on a small crate, staring at his bloody blades. Dropping the weapons, his gaze then turned to the hands that did the deed. His hands. His hands that now filled with tears. The salt water stung as it dripped off his wounded cheekbone. Several minutes he spent like that, sobbing quietly to himself at what he'd done, before he wiped his face on the sleeve of his jacket and stood.

Finding the young Freiherr Djakara, he had only one thing to say: "When can we go home?"

((Spoils: Lily- A flintlock pistol named for its wielder's favorite bloom. The functional portions are made of steel, though it is decoratively encased in wood. The base of the handle is a knob, preventing it from falling easily from a loose grasp, and there is a filigreed plate of iron stamped on either side of the barrel, where the hammer access sits. With it, Leon has also pilfered about fifteen bullets and enough gunpowder to fire them as well as a few blanks.))

GP

Name
    Mariah Luna Mitami
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Bright red with snow white flecks
    Eye Color
    Soft red with snow white flecks
    Job
    Enchantress Thief

Mariah's deep red eyes widened, she had expected Jame to at least acknowledge her revelation. Her acceptance that she had practically been useless in this large fight against this supposed brain-washed army of peasants. The young thief had hoped that Jame would at least understand that she was admitting to a weakness she had, instead however, he told her tartly to do her job and be done with it. Anger wanted to swell inside her fragile heart; but instead, she pushed it back for a neutral expression.

Words wanted to come, the thief wanted to express her thanks to the half dragon, but before she could he had flown off. A sigh escaped the red haired teenager's lips. Turning she was meant with the old veteran's eyes staring at her. This disconcerted her for a moment, soon though she saw that he had been badly injured.

As a cold wind blew through the broken window of the church, Mari was pulling her leather satchel towards her, she knew it was a lucky break that her satchel had survived the wagon bursting into flames. Rummaging through it, the young healer pulled gauze, bandages and some healing salve. Moving to organize them, she groans as she thinks I am going to have to pick up more...this is going to wipe out my supply...

As she was organizing her herbs and her bandages, the captain's grizzled voice spoke "T...thank you miss." seeing the girl's wary eyes, he tried to reassure her "You will be paid for your services."

Mariah smiled, though the smile wasn't a full one, in a light voice she muttered "Don't worry about it captain...this is the least I can do."

The captain's weathered face creased, shaking his head he replied "Do as you please then." he then tried to shift across the church's cold floor, the movement caused him to wince in pain, but he managed to move so that his head was resting against the still intact wall, he waited for the girl to begin her healing ministrations.

Mariah's eyes narrowed, in a strict voice she yelled "Don't move! You'll open your wound more!" She then begin to smear the cooling salve across the wound in the man's chest. He winced a bit as the salve begin to work. Sighing as she moved to wipe her hands on her pants, she then moved to begin to wrap gauze around the wound. As she worked, she hummed quietly her hands business with the process of measuring out the proper length of gauze to stablize the wound.

The stinging from the medicine caused the old captain to grit his teeth, in a soft voice he said "Your good at this.."

Mariah laughed, once she had his first injury wrapped up securely she stated "Thanks, but in all honesty I am better at this then fighting."

The man's stern eyes softened, as the young thief begin to put salve on his wounded hand he said "Everybody has their place in the world..."

Rose smiled, in a grateful voice she replied "Thanks...your words mean a lot." She then quickly finished up her work. Moving away from the captain, she begin to pack her bags. Moving to sling it over her shoulder she rose and mrumured "I'll stay for a few days, then I'm going to return home."

The old war veteran nodded as he moved to close his eyes, before he drifted into a peaceful rest he murmured "Very well then miss, we have a deal then."

Mariah smiled as she sat down on a broken stone statue, moving to cross her arms over her breasts she thought Good, then after I'm done with this. I'll head home...hopefully when I get back Darith won't have some other crazy mission left for me to do...

(Spoils- Damasacus twin daggers- Daggers that are finely made from Damascus. They have the ablity to absorb magic that is sent at the blades. Inscribed in the fine and shiny metal is an eagle, its regal wings taking flight across the silver expanse of the blade. That is all the spoils that I request from this thread and thanks ^_^)
    Last edited by Crimson Rose; 02-16-08 at 11:46 AM.

EXP: 35,665, Level: 7
    Level completed: 8%, EXP required for next level: 8,335
    Level completed: 8%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,335
    GP

Name
    Djakara Fraye
    Hair Color
    Dark
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    5'10"/ 174 lbs
    Job
    Alerarian Noble

“There’s no more we here when you want to loot my property,” Djakara replied coldly. He didn’t care for the way Leon had taken a pistol for his own, as if the fluke killing of the armored warrior had turned the merchant from Ettermire into anything more than an insignificant bug in the face of a greater history.

Still, the Freiherr couldn’t be too hostile. Everyone else who at one time had been an ally of his wasn’t around anymore. The Freiherr would have wanted to stop Godhand from leaving with what little profit he had, but he knew better. Then Jame, more like a bird of carrion than a dragon, took the scraps that were left over, leaving Djakara to just stand around as the Salvarian soldiers equipped themselves with the weapons that were supposed to have provided him with a private island in Istraloth. “Just keep it,” Djakara said, resigning himself to his failure. “Enjoy the damn pistol...”

The whole situation had spiraled out of control so quickly that the young Freiherr still wasn’t sure how he’d lost control. He wished he could have taken some kind of a redemptive lesson from the adventure, but there was nothing that he could remember that he had done wrong. Though he wanted to curse the fates for their cruelty to him, he had to think there was something more to it, that somehow, he couldn’t get the weapons where he needed them even with people like Jame and Godhand on his side.

With a sigh, Djakara wondered if he had set himself up to fail, if he had not been the victim of poor management but the unbridled nature of his own imagination. Both Jame and Godhand were gone, so the Freiherr couldn’t have asked either of them, even if he hadn’t been afraid of what their answers would have been.

Scowling, Djakara looked at Leon. He didn’t want to admit it, even to himself, but he was jealous of the way that the young merchant had been able to step up in a way that he hadn’t. Though he knew he was going to need aid in getting back to Alerar, he didn’t want to stay around the merchant than was necessary.

The only consolation that the young Freiherr had was that at worst, he was still alive. There was some consolation for him in the fact that he wasn’t the only loser on the day. Jame wouldn’t get the weapons he wanted to Raiaera, Godhand undoubtedly had a bad mark on his career as a mercenary, Leon Adalbert would leave without a profit margin. Djakara considered doing the same, but he decided it wasn’t worth the effort.

He debated checking up on Mariah. Everyone else from the caravan was either dead or had fled. However, he had little desire to talk to her, even though he knew he would have been able to intimidate her into surrendering whatever share of the winnings she had claimed for herself. At this point, it would have been petty. While Djakara wasn’t always above pettiness, after the loss of the gatling gun he now just wanted to leave with what little of his dignity he could still muster.

“Let’s get out of here,” Djakara decided. “Keep what you got, to hell with the rest.”

~A few days later, Ettermire~

Djakara was sweating visibly in the palace of Valshath d’Isto. He wasn’t accountable to many, but the High Graf had enough power to squash the young Freiherr like a bug. The reaction to his failure had been something that he hadn’t expected. Djakara expected that he’d get a few claps on the back of consolation, but that otherwise, he would have escaped with his status intact. Instead, he had barely had the time to get cleaned up before being shuffled to the office of the High Graf Schynius. Now, they had spent what seemed like an eternity staring at each other. So far, the only words they had exchanged had been awkward niceties.

Eventually, the High Graf spoke, though it was clear that he had enjoyed watching Djakara sweat. “You were supposed to be my teenaged phenom,” Schynius began. “I would have expected something better, if you want to be known around here for miracles, you’re going to have to step up.”

Djakara nodded. “I’ll do better next time…” he said, hoping he could avoid as much of a dressing down as possible.

“Next time isn’t now,” the High Graf replied. “This time is. What are you going to do to fix it?”

With an exhale, Djakara didn’t know what he’d be able to say in his defense. He couldn’t explain what had happened. For a moment, he considered pointing out that they’d managed to build a base of sorts at the Salaturn church, but he didn’t know if that would be enough to satisfy the High Graf’s anger. After all, in terms of weapons, that had come at a very high price, especially since the Gatling gun had been destroyed.

“Well, the Salvar army isn’t what it was,” Djakara replied. “Neither is the church. My people crushed them, to the point they were chanting our names. I don’t think you can blame me. The thing is, Salvar isn’t worth our alliance any more. Neither side is really all that powerful, at least in terms of ever coming to help us… if we need troops to help us against Raiaera, we’re better off looking elsewhere.”

The High Graf nodded. He drummed his fingers on the desk in a way that had them dancing with excitement. “So you’re saying Salvar is weaker than it has been in a while, even with the buildup of their civil war?”

“Uhh… yeah,” Djakara replied, unsure of what the High Graf had meant.

“Interesting,” Schynius concluded. “You can go for now.”

Out of Character:
    Spoils= Rudimentary military strategy. Consider this the knowledge Djakara gained from observing Godhand and Captain Flynn.
    Last edited by Call me J; 02-16-08 at 02:53 PM.
    Survival and living are concepts you can't equate.

I am a Freiherr! Don't believe me, read Drones.

Do you know my name?
    EXP: 38,033, Level: 7
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 5,967
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,967
    GP

Name
    Jame Whitizard-Kaosi
    Race
    Half Dragon
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Red
    Build
    6'5" medium build
    Job
    Knight

Anebrilith: A Day Later

The weapons were a hit in Anebrilith. There was some uncertainty within the city over what Tel Aglarim’s next move should be, some were suggesting that they fortify the city to launch a counter offensive to retake Eluriand, but those who had been anywhere near the city when it fell knew that course of attack was foolish. The city was somber, but still full of chatter. Jame could hear people talking, veteran soldiers and novices alike, both suggesting that had they been in Eluriand, things would have ended differently for Xem’zund and his forces. Still others wondered what kind of immorality had lead to the return of the Forgotten One. Very few were somber and contemplative, and these were the people Jame considered the jewels. He wasn’t sure if they had acquiesced to the cruelty of their fates or were scheming desperately for solutions, but Jame liked them because they were the only ones that gave him a moment’s peace.

The half dragon knew that his experiences had mellowed him, because for the first time in his life, he truly appreciated silence. He had left the weapons he had been able to gather in Salvar at a makeshift headquarters for Tel Aglarim, and was now waiting for orders to get back in the fight against Xem’zund. He had tried to find if anyone knew anything about Maia, but neither the name nor description seemed to mean anything to any of the people he met.

Turning frantic in worry for Maia was a luxury that he couldn’t afford. Jame had seen first hand how Djakara’s lack of focus had compromised the convoy, and now he didn’t want to fall into the same trap. Both Xem’zund and the Patriarch needed to be defeated, and while the battle against Xem’zund may have captivated the attentions of all of Raiaera, the pit of Jame’s stomach suggested that the Patriarch might have been the greater threat.

Still, there was no time to play balance of threat with the two evils when he needed to get back to Eluriand. Aware that it would be near impossible to move through the land once he’d exited the black desert, Jame had arranged for a riverboat to take him up the Escaldor river towards Eluriand. Now, he waited impatiently at the Anebrilith harbor, trying to pay no attention to the tall tales he was hearing from the sailors as he waited for his boat.

It wasn’t too long before the ship came to harbor. However, before Jame could board, he was interrupted by an unexpected ally. None other than the headmistress of Aglarlin, Itarildë Vanimedlë, had stepped off the boat, and she looked on Jame with the same kind of dissatisfied look that she had first given him when she’d caught him in the bathroom of Aglarlin standing above two corpses. “You just can’t leave well enough alone, can you Jame Kaosi?” she asked.

“Maia’s back there…” Jame replied.

“She isn’t,” Itarildë replied. “General Findelfin took care of it after your sudden dash of magic induced valor. I’m glad that you seemed to survive it, I was much more concerned about your welfare than I was of hers…”

Jame smirked embarrassedly, because he didn’t know how to reply. “So what now?” he eventually asked.

“Get out of here,” the Aglarlin headmistress replied. “Your battle is not with the Forgotten One. Remember that. Whatever Xem’zund does from here on out, know who your real enemy is.”

Though she didn’t say the word “Patriarch,” Jame knew that was who she was talking about. He was tempted to mention what had happened in Salvar to her, but realized that the area must have been compromised somehow. Either that or the risk of mentioning the name of the siring demon was too great around strangers. “Alright,” Jame said. He didn’t really like what he had been told, but he knew it was for the better. Plus, even though he didn’t want to admit it, Xem’zund and Raiaera had been Damon’s battle. The Patriarch could be his and his alone.

“The boat will take you out to Corone,” Itarildë continued, having paused only just long enough to get Jame’s agreement before giving the half dragon the rest of her instructions. “Do what you want until then, when I need you, I’ll find you.”

Jame nodded. “Even go after Xem’zund?” he asked, even though he knew what the answer was going to be.

“Not that…” Itarildë shot back with limited humor. “Stay safe…” She reached into a satchel she had been carrying and revealed a small stone ring. It was smooth grey stone, with an engraved dragonfly on it. “If necessary, you’ll find out how to use this.”

The half dragon accepted the ring with a smile. He was going to would appreciate this new opportunity for what it was, an honorable out of a conflict in which he had been able to contribute little more than failure. The battle against Xem’zund was no longer his arena, instead, Jame was going to fight a different battle, both for the people of Raiaera and Althanas. He’d transcend Tel Aglarim, and though, his limited record would suggest he served with distinction, the half dragon would be able to take some consolation in the idea that he had never fully given his heart to Damon’s cause. Now, he’d found his own, and he was going to show that he was more than the bastard progeny of a hero, but a man of his own right.

It was all going to start once his boat hit the shores of Corone. “I brought some weapons back for you,” he said as he boarded the boat. “They should help you some.”

By now, it seemed that Itarildë just wanted to see the half dragon leave. “Thank you,” she said.

Jane nodded, climbed into the boat and then watched from the deck as he left the shores of Raiaera, unsure if he would ever again return to the land of the elves. With a tired expression on his face, he wondered how posterity would think about the arms of gold and the convoy that had brought them to their destinations. They had hardly been heroes, but they weren’t villains either. Instead, they were a strange mixture of people brought together by circumstance and the situations played out to the dice of fate. History would be kind to the generals and to the politicians with time on their side to posture and revisit. For a person like Jame, too weary to relive the past to ever write it, he’d have to settle for the accounts of court historians. The story of the convoy and the arms of gold would be lost to the ages, in as much as it would ever be a story of truth.

Out of Character:
    Spoils= Stone Ring with the dragonfly. This ring holds a golem on it, but the power of the ring is uknown to Jame at the moment. Additionally, Jame's association with Godhand, led to the mercenary's pheramone ability rubbing off onto him. While Jame was not exposed to the pheromones enough to be seen as uncontrollably irresistible, he still has that outsider's edge. Requested with Godhand's permission.
    Last edited by Call me J; 02-16-08 at 11:54 AM.

Starslayer and the Mad King
    EXP: 48,726, Level: 9
    Level completed: 48%, EXP required for next level: 5,274
    Level completed: 48%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,274
    GP

Name
    Skie dan Sabriel/ Avery Nito
    Race
    Moontae
    Hair Color
    Black/Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue/Green
    Build
    tall and slender

View Profile
    Quest Judging
    MQ: Arms of Gold

My goodness what a long quest. I’m going to be sparing with the comments here, and keep with the important stuff. If there are any questions, feel free to PM me or to catch me on AIM. RestitutionSpork, though I believe each and every one of you knows it already.
    STORY

Continuity ~ 8/10. Absolutely phenomenal here with you guys. The only person who gave me next to nothing was Leon Adalbert. I have no idea how you got to be in league with Djakara, or anything really about your character’s past other than his daddy was a merchant too and he wants to bone a Drow chick. Leon, not his daddy.
    Setting ~ 6/10.
    Pacing ~ 4/10. Repetition crippled this. There were so many posts that started out with a character reacting to everything that had happened in the last five posts while they waited their turn (or more in some cases). If you’re going to do that, take the very last thing that happened directly relating to your character and make your reaction less of a recap and more of progression for the thread. I don’t need to read what amounts to the same post three times in a row before something new happens.

CHARACTER

Dialogue ~ 6/10.
    Action ~ 6/10. Crimson Rose, you really need to pay more attention to what’s going on. There were times when I felt you were completely oblivious. If you character had been played up to be an “absentminded thief” it would have been cute and fit. However, she is supposed to be a competent member of a guild where noticing details is necessary. Not only is the action of the thread detrimental to this score, but playing your character’s actions well is also a contributor. This was a high action thread. There were 6 people in it, and I think that there might have been too many cooks in the kitchen. For as strong as his end was, Leon was a pretty useless character to the overall story, as was Crimson Rose. I’m not even sure if Dark Temptress had much of a use. It would have been better to cut this thing in half. End the first thread after the demon attacks, when DT had been captured, link and go into the next thread, which would have been the “torture” and fight against the Sway.
    Persona ~ 9/10. I did see some lovely character development here. Call Me J/Djakara and Godhand overall really stole the show here, and I like what I saw at the end from Leon. Until post 70, Leon could have not even been there and the score wouldn’t have changed, but you really stepped up at the end and impressed me. Dark Temptress and Crimson Rose are best showcased in Persona here. While I know I’ve already brought up some issues with your in character actions, CR, the rest of the thread you kept your character consistent. Everyone likes to play the hero, but the faults that were spotlighted in everyone really brought this thing to life and kept me interested.

WRITING STYLE

Technique ~ 7/10.
    Mechanics ~ 6/10. There were 6 proofreaders in this quest. It should have been spotless, but I saw a lot of mistakes. Not only were there things like “then” and “than”, “through” and “threw” jumbled up, there were sometimes what I can only assume was small groups of words left out. It was a rare thing, but still. Crimson Rose, one thing you should definitely look out for is changing from writing in past tense to present tense. There were a couple of your posts where it went from saying “she did this, she said this,” to “she does this and says this.” It’s awkward, and while the wording might be just the same except for a silly verb tense, a sudden change in a post or paragraph suddenly disguises your writing as far more inferior than it might have been.
    Clarity ~ 8/10.

MISCELLANEOUS

Wild Card ~ 7/10. From start to finish, I’ve invested a little more than 6 hours in this thread, after subtracting time spent on distractions like AIM people poking me and little breaks to eat and such. For all that time, I still can’t decide if I like this thread or if it could have been done better. I will say this, for having told a story with so many different twists and players to it in only a month, you all have my respect.

TOTAL ~ 67/100. <commentary here>

Rewards

I’m honoring Godhand’s request to transfer GP to EXP. As for the rest of you who are not getting GP, you are getting your requested spoils - at a price. Not only do you not get gold, but I’m downgrading your spoils. When I give those spoils, I will state my reasons for bringing them down. If there are any further questions, please get in touch with me.

Djakara gains 3584 EXP and 570 GP
    Call Me J earns 3292 EXP and 570 GP
    Godhand earns 3481 EXP
    Leon Adalbert gains 806 EXP
    Crimson Rose gains 1536 EXP
    Dark Temptress gains 710 EXP

Other Rewards

Djakara is granted his spoil of rudimentary military strategy.

Call Me J is granted the ring and exceptionally subtle charisma enhancing pheremones, with a note that people who spend a lot of time around him become immune to the pull over time.

Leon Adalbert is granted the steel flintlock, though with all the battling, some of the shots fall out of his pocket. He is left with Lily, 10 bullets, and a small bag of gunpowder.

Crimson Rose gains her Damascus daggers - however I would like to note that they are weak against magic, therefore I cannot grant you the magic absorbing ability with them.

Dark Temptress - I’m afraid that I am going to have to downgrade your spoil the most. You put in the least amount of posts in a quest that didn’t score nearly high enough to warrant what you’ve asked for. You will still receive a gun, and the “Althanas version of a Glock” but it is crafted in steel. The gun is both jammed, which is easy enough to fix in a quest, and made with a faulty firing pin. I am placing a stipulation on this gun. The gun is of a unique make, and therefore the only way to get a new firing pin is by traveling to the maker. There are markings on the gun that hint of Kachuk origin, dwarven make. The wholesale price of such a rare and delicate part to your gun is placed at 9,000 gold. The mod who judges the quest where you gain it must be made aware of that when you claim the spoil to better help them to gauge whether or not it’s a deserved spoil. While you did make it away with three magazines, alas, two of them are empty. The remaining one is full, at 17 bullets. I am placing a wholesale price of 4,000 gold on a magazine for this particular gun, unless a bazaar moderator reappraises it for a different amount. Reappraisal is not an option for the firing pin.
    Sometimes love looks like torture

List of my alts

Memento Mori
    EXP: 53,567, Level: 9
    Level completed: 96%, EXP required for next level: 433
    Level completed: 96%,
    EXP required for next level: 433
    GP

Name
    Witchblade
    Race
    Unknown
    Hair Color
    Black, like her soul
    Eye Color
    Crimson
    Build
    5'9 / 130lbs
    Job
    Murderer

EXP and GP added!

Godhand, Djakara, Call me J, Dark Temptress and Crimson Rose all level up!
    Last edited by Witchblade; 02-20-08 at 06:29 PM.
    Do you ever Feel like a Monster?

Do you dare to read The Diary of the Dead

Have you seen my Hollow Daydreams
    Or listened to this Serenade of Haunting Voices
    Pray for The Heart I Once Had
    Then grant A Rose For The Dead'

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789