Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

Dirty Money (solo)

((This tale takes place immediately after the events in Thursday's profile, and quests that sadly are no longer on the forum. Not meant for children or those who may find love between two women disturbing. Oh yeah,violence too.))

“You don’t have to carry it all the time.” Daisy told her, nudging her in the ribs with a playful elbow. Thursday knew she didn’t, but she wanted to. For her, the pack draped over her shoulder was hardly noticeable, it’s weight nothing more than an afterthought to someone like her, but there was more to it than that. In the dirty brown thing were two objects of immense value to one who knew of them. The Obsidian Soul, an artificial means of reviving and sustaining those who are deceased, and the journal of a man known only as Dante, or to Thursday, Father. In this journal were things that she did not want Daisy to see or know ever. Like how she died and who was responsible.

Besides, things were perfect the way they were. Much like their island home, the two of them abandoned the refugees of Effaria quickly. They sped from Serenti and headed toward Radasanth, determined to make the journey across land. Thursday made the decision for them, as on their week-long trip toward Corone, she discovered that the sea was not her place, and spent most of her time at the rails, emptying her stomach of its contents on a daily basis. Even she, a being created to deal death and pain, was not perfect. She knew it now more than ever, as walking at her side, was a living, breathing weakness waiting to be exploited. Thursday knew better. She was trained and taught to know that emotional attachment to anything more than a sword or a horse was dangerous. Not just to her, but to the other party as well, and frankly, she didn’t care.

“I like carrying it. It makes me feel like I’m in control of you.” Thursday said with a grin. They both chuckled, knowing full well that nobody could control a woman as wildly spirited as Daisy. Thursday certainly was close though. She discovered this on their boat when, while having advances made upon her by those few soldiers that had survived the battle and sailed with them, Daisy snapped, breaking several limbs and severely injuring a few others with her bare hands. There was no King on that boat, and no law. As far as that specific ship went, Thursday was the ruler, and she decreed that Daisy could do whatever the hell she wanted as long as she didn’t get hurt. So she did, and others were hurt instead.

“Do you think they’ll be okay? The, uh, escapers I mean.”

“Refugees, Daisy. We call them refugees.” Thursday corrected, looking at her with a sly wink. She felt weird doing it, as if somehow it was a mocking gesture to wink at a woman with one eyelid. “And I really don’t care. We’re okay, right?”

Daisy didn’t say anything in reply. While she could match Thursday as far as it came in bloodlust, her empathy and heart were far more accepting and developed. Daisy was the first person Thursday met who she did feel merely sexual inclinations towards. With her brown haired companion, Thursday felt genuinely happy. It was a shock, of course, when she had spent most of her life in a fog of hatred that extended toward almost all living beings. A fog that, for the most part, had not exactly cleared away save for a small spot in which Daisy stood alone.

“Do you think that your brother is still coming for you?” Daisy asked, coughing as a horse sped past them on the path, kicking dust into the air in its wake. It really was an idyllic scene. A dirt road that, on occasion, would branch away, carving through the fields like a child’s drawing toward a farm or other unknown buildings. The sun was halfway down, making the world’s oranges and browns stand out more than ever. Together, Daisy and Thursday walked along toward the ever growing sight of trees. Appearing almost endless like the forests of Effaria, they were taller and bushier than those on their home island. Thursday had a feeling that a lot of things on Corone would be different.

“He probably is. So what? If I’m gonna be killed, I may as well be killed by a guy that well dressed.” she said, eliciting a nervous, somewhat forced laugh from her partner. Thursday stopped walking and stared steadily at her. “Hey, lighten up, will you? I’m here, and I’m not going anywhere. Gods and Demons alike couldn’t take me away from the sight of your beautiful blue eye, okay?”

Daisy smiled a bashful smile, her cheeks turning a light hue of red. It reminded Thursday that she really was nothing more than a young woman. Though living her third life, she was hardly even in her twenties. Not only this, but her dependency, while endearing, was also worrying at the same time. If, for some reason she had to go, Daisy would be in a truly terrible state indeed. Thursday quelled the thought and kissed her on the lips, lingering there for a few moments. She let her smaller nose brush against Daisy’s somewhat larger one as she stepped back, grinning. Looking away was all Thursday could do to suppress the giddy chuckle that rose in her throat. It’d been happening a lot and was beginning to really bother her.

“Come on. This path has got to lead to a town. We’ll stop there, get a room, get some food, get naked and well, I am sure you can-”

“Um, about that…” Daisy interrupted, looking shyly at the ground. Thursday grimaced.

“It’s not that time, is it?” Thursday asked, not envying human females for their monthly ritual. Daisy scoffed and smiled, shaking her head as if she couldn’t believe she’d actually been asked what she had.

“No! Jeez! I haven’t gotten that since my um… first death.” she said, the both of them going silent suddenly. It was not a subject that either of them wanted to address.

“Well then what’s the problem?” Thursday asked, once again breaking the ice.

“We have no money.” Daisy replied simply, holding a limp looking pouch of leather in her hands.

“I guess we’ll need to find some then, won’t we?” Thursday hinted mischievously, as though she had a plan. She didn’t. She’d want to be sitting down somewhere and relaxed before trying to devise a plan. Thus, they continued onward, passing into the treeline without fuss. Filtered by the leaves, the entire clearing the path encompassed seemed to hold a green glow. Only certain beams of pure, unhindered orange managed to pass through small breaks in the foliage, highlighting them as they walked past

“It’s really beautiful here. This forest seems so… nice.”

“You mean you like these trees more than the ones that tried to kill us back home?” Thursday asked sarcastically. Daisy punched her on the arm in reply.

Down the path they traveled, Thursday noticing that thin grooves lined it, signifying that they were not somewhere under-traveled or obscure, but on their way somewhere familiar to most people from the larger cities nearby. Perhaps it was a trade route or a logging town or even merely a resting point for weary travelers. They’d find out soon enough.

“Wow! Look at that house!” Daisy exclaimed, a sudden break in the trees revealing a branching path that ended at a massive, beautiful forest home. It was several floors high and had a few somewhat casually dressed men dwelling outside of it, smoke rising in plumes from one’s upturned head.

“Hey!” Thursday yelled, trying to get their attention. It worked, and a man stood up from the steps of the house’s front door, walking slowly toward them. The closer he grew, the more Thursday made out that he seemed to be wearing a robe of some-kind, tied at the waist loosely. Unlike that which a King would wear, it was gray and was in fact his entire outfit. It was feminine, and yet somehow not. He stopped around five feet from the women, his half-open eyes regarding them with a dazed curiosity.

“Hello. Is there a problem here?”

“No problem. I was just wondering if you could tell us what the next town is called and how far it is from here.” Thursday replied, shrugging simply. The man took a deep puff from a long, simple pipe he held in his left hand and did not utter a word, letting the smoke sit inside of him for a moment before finally exhaling it out with a sigh.

“Haven. Not far at all. Follow the path. You’ll see houses, and that means you’re close. Cross the bridge, walk, and you’ll be there. Pass through, cross another bridge, and you’ve left the town. Simple, yes?”

Thursday wasn’t sure if he was merely telling her how to leave, or threatening her somehow. His tone was hard to discern and his face was stone cold, holding no emotion besides, the faint glaze over his eyes.

“Sorry to bother you!” Daisy interjected, waving a hand at him simply. The man nodded, and started shuffling back toward the house. Thursday looked at Daisy and rolled her eyes. It was all she needed to do for her to get her impression across. Daisy snickered and they continued on. Much as he said, they passed a few smaller houses, some of which seemed abandoned or currently empty, others bearing curious child eyes watching them from the window, or in one instance, an old man outside enjoying the crisp air of a cool evening settling in. Thursday could see why it was called Haven.

“This place is really nice.” Daisy said softly, as if there was something else in her words Thursday needed to dig to find. She didn’t try. It wasn’t long until the sound of rushing water could be heard, and a wide bridge, appearing almost brand-new in its condition, was before them. It curved over a small stream that parted the forest gently. Allowing life-giving water to flow freely for the animals and plants. Fish of brilliant red and orange hues could be seen fighting over food and dashing back and forth playfully in the water, and Daisy quickly went down the side of the bridge, kneeling at the edge to dip her fingers in the clear stream.

“It’s so cold.” she said, looking back at Thursday, who had stayed near the bridge, leaning upon the handrail with her arms folded beneath her cloak. “Come over here with me, T.”

“No way. I’ll be too tempted to push you in. Then you’ll be cold.” Thursday replied, chuckling to herself. Daisy sighed and stood up, walking past Thursday to get onto the bridge first.

“What do you think of this place?” Daisy asked her, staring at the water from the bridge as Thursday came up from the rear. Her eyes were fixed on Daisy’s. The leather pants Gildareon had created for may as well have painted on, and Thursday liked it a lot.

“Considering we haven’t even reached the town, I can’t really say.” she said, and Daisy stared back at her, her single eye narrowed sharply. “Okay, it’s nice.”

Thursday bridged the distance between them and ruffled Daisy’s shaggy hair like one would have a dog.

“It is nice, okay? I just…” her sentence died off as her gray eyes spotted two men at the other end of the bridge, staring at them with hardened expressions on their bearded faces. “You need something, fellas?”

Daisy followed Thursday’s gaze and gasped as the two men below both drew old, blood encrusted swords.

“Give us your gold and you’ll be free to pass.” the man on the right said, twirling his sword around in a showy display. Thursday uttered a low growl and put her hand to Daisy’s stomach, pushing her gently behind her.

“Apparently some things are the same no matter where you go.” Thursday hissed, her mere tone making Daisy angry as well.

“Give us your gold!” The left brigand exclaimed, spittle flying from his mouth.

“Looks like you chose a bad day to come out and play.” Thursday spoke in reply. “Not only do we not have any money, but now I have to murder the both of you.”

She uttered the magical words. The thief on the left charged forward, his sword raised high over his head. Thursday’s right hand transformed into its black claw, and she thrust her cloak over her shoulders to reveal her arms. The man swiftly approached and Thursday dashed at him, slashing across his chest, stomach, and throat quicker than he was able to assimilate the fact that she had even attacked. Bloody mist shot from each slash as she made them, and the man collapsed to the bridge, dead before his head even thumped onto the wood.

“Do you still want my gold now!? Huh!?” she screamed at the remaining bandit. She knelt down and grabbed the dead man’s ankle, dragging the corpse behind her as she started toward his remaining comrade.

“Well?! Come get it! Come take my gold!”

The man did. Thursday was impressed at his bravery, foolish as it was. When he got near, she swung the corpse upward like it was a weapon itself. Skull struck skull and the other man collapsed like a ragdoll, the side of his head smashed inward. His limbs twitched violently and Thursday’s upper lip curled.

“Let’s put these bastards in the woods. I’m sure there’s a hungry wolf out there.”

Daisy sighed and approached the twitching man with a look of utter disgust on her face. Wild though she may have been, she was no expert in corpses or death. Her lone eye met Thursday’s and touched by her wariness, Thursday dropped the dead man’s leg.

“Fine. I’ll take the twitcher.” she said. “The things I do for you. Jeez.”

She didn’t know why, but she had the feeling that the two lives she’d taken would eventually mean more than most easily dealt deaths. She had no idea how right her feeling was.
    I have done a thousand dreadful things
    As willingly as one would kill a fly,
    And nothing grieves me heartily indeed
    But that I cannot do ten thousand more.

EXP: 18,750, Level: 4
    Level completed: 80%, EXP required for next level: 1,250
    Level completed: 80%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,250
    GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

Thursday stared at the two still bodies from the treeline. If someone knew where to find them, they would, but a typical passerby would not, and that was all that mattered. Halfway through moving the bodies, Daisy left the scene and returned to the water’s edge, where she sat upon an outcropping rock with her chin nestled in her hands. Thursday really didn’t mind. She finished the job herself. The wolves would do the rest.

“Daisy.” she said, walking slowly toward the stream. “Is something wrong? Why are you so quiet?”

She approached slowly, setting the pack down at the top of the incline and stepping down carefully. The stood at the rear of the rock that Daisy sat on and stared down at her, waiting for an answer that seemed like it’d never come.

“Daisy… what did I do?”

“I don’t want to see any more killing.” she said simply, tossing a pebble to the stream listlessly. The fish inside swarmed and fought over it. The winner, a black fish, got the honor of realizing it wasn’t even food. “I just… I keep feeling like…”

Thursday put a hand upon Thursday’s frizzy hair and stroked it slowly.

“What is it?”

“I want to go straight… I want to settle down here and live- I… I want to have peace.” she said softly, sounding embarrassed. “We could build our own little house like the ones around here and just… relax or… I don’t know, just be happy.”

Sighing, Thursday withdrew her hand and let it settle once again beneath her cloak. She stared at the top of Daisy’s head, losing herself in the brown curls and in her thoughts.

“Okay,” she said “Let’s do it.”

Daisy turned and craned her neck. Her left and only eye seemed redder and glassy. She’d been crying.

“Are you serious? You’d do a normal job? No killing?” Daisy asked, hope in her voice. Thursday sighed heavily and ran a hand through her hair. She nodded, and Daisy rose to hug her. As she did, Thursday realized why she’d agreed to it. The reason was noble enough. If love could cause war and death and art, it certainly could cause retirement. How hard could it be? she asked herself. She really had no idea.

The two of them continued into the town, which, outside of a small hub of buildings was rather scattered. The town center, it seemed, was at the farthest end, trees at its rear. A blacksmith was outside pounding away at an anvil and a few street merchants peddled fruits or other non-edible wares. The inn, inviting and tall, had wide, open doors. Haven had the smell of cooking food and fireplaces in action, giving it a very home-like atmosphere. While this hub of business and activity was somewhat busy, the houses seemed scattered. There was no semblance of order in the way they were built or put together. Each one seemed built by its owner, so the styles and quality were different. Some yards seemed to run into others while some were so far from their neighbors it seemed that the distance was on purpose. It most likely was.

No doubt, there were houses in the woods and further away from their somewhat raised view, as the town was in a valley of sorts, stretching for what seemed like miles. The dwellings grew further and further apart the farther from the man hub they were. This made sense, as most of them probably grew and tended to their own meats and vegetables. But most interesting of all, was that Haven truly seemed like its own place. In the end, no matter how far one’s house was, trees surrounded them on all sides.

“It’s so beautiful… I think I’m in love with this place.” Daisy said in subtle awe as she took the lead. Thursday followed up the rear, half-agreeing with her statement. Her love seemed rather quick to fall for a place that would see them attacked by robbers at the bridge to town. Unlike Daisy, Thursday had the feeling that Haven was more than just its namesake. And if it was, what type of people would seek solace in a town so secluded from the rest of the world? She was surprised that Daisy did not feel the similarities between Haven and her hometown of Tikar, which was by all rights another type of haven. A haven for those who sought to overthrow their cruel king, and thanks to Thursday and her brother, an eventual burial ground for every last one of them.

“Let’s go to the inn. There’s bound to be someone looking for workers around.” Thursday advised, unable to believe that she did, in fact, utter such words. Love truly was insanity. But it was a good kind of insanity. The kind she could live with.

“You’re so smart.” Daisy said, hooking her right arm under Thursday’s left. Briefly, she smiled, but she slid her arm free, Daisy looking at her as if offended.

“We don’t know how people may feel about that sort of thing here. For all we know they could try and hang us.” Thursday warned. Daisy shrugged, as if she understood but wasn’t happy about it. “And yes, I am smart.”

They both chuckled. As they neared the inn, an older man walked out and across the road. Upon entering, they found the inn’s bottom floor empty. While there was a desk, there was no owner. Not even any patrons about either.

“You know… I could go back there and rob this place blind. We could skip town and keep on going without a problem.” Thursday said, grinning mischievously. Somewhere inside her she hoped that Daisy would still not care about thievery and go for it, but she had her doubts.

“Thursday!” she exclaimed in a whisper. “No! What if the owner comes back!?”

“Well, I’d have to- ugh… right.” Thursday bitterly replied, rolling her eyes. “Fine, let’s go to the restaurant.”

She began to realize how hard going ‘straight’ would be. Killing was not only her method of paying for the necessities in life, but it was a part of her. Since her conception, killing was to be ingrained on her mind. It was. And it was going to be so very hard to stop.

As they crossed the road, a man on a horse was trotting slowly down the way with a torch, lighting lamps that conveniently were built alongside every road. No doubt to help those living farther away from the hub who would have had trouble finding it in the night, especially a night that would be bringing in clouds like those that shimmered pink above them. As they neared the restaurant, the same older man that had entered before walked back out with a plate of steaming food. Meat and potatoes Thursday was jealous.

They entered to the sounds of normal conversation, a few curious eyes turning to the door, but most too interested in their own meals or company to care. There was a woman behind a bar pouring a drink to a man who was making her laugh. Her mouth was enormous, some massive, toothy thing capable of swallowing birds whole if she so desired. She was tall and skinny and had a long bird-beak nose that looked almost like it was going to be eaten every time she opened her mouth.

“Well? Go on.” Thursday said, prodding Daisy forward. They both took a seat at the bar and Thursday snapped her fingers to get some attention. The woman gave her current conversation a dismissing wave and walked toward them.

“Hi there, ladies! Nice to see some new faces!” she said, sounding far too upbeat to be human. “Oh my, you poor darlin’… what happened to your eye?”

Daisy looked at Thursday and suddenly put her hand to her face, covering the magical eye she’d forgotten she had no eye patch for any longer.

“I-it’s glass… I lost it when I was young.” she lied, feeling too self conscious to remove the hand.

“Poor dear. Have a drink on the house, hun.” she said, pouring her a small glass of something clear and bronze hued. Daisy shrugged, downed it, and turned red-faced for a moment as the fire raged in her throat.

“We were wondering if you had any jobs.” Thursday asked blatantly. The woman smiled and nodded her head.

“Wouldn’t ya know it? Our waitresses just left town, actually. As you can tell, I could certainly use the help” the woman replied, waving at the room full of customers. “But uh, I don’t do the hirin’ round here. My husband does. He should be back at the inn. Come on back and tell me what he says!”

“Yeah, we’ll do that.”

Thursday and Daisy got up and left just as quickly as they’d came, heading back across the way to the inn, where a few people with heavy sacks entered for the evening. Travellers just like them, no doubt. Inside, the old man handed the two a key each, took some gold, and sat down at his desk again to finish his meal. He looked up at them and threw the knife back onto the steak, the blade jutting up from the hunk of meat as though it were a dart.

“At this rate I’ll never finish my God damned meal!” he exclaimed angrily. “Rooms are ten gold a night.”

“We don’t want a room you old bastard. We’re looking for jobs.” Thursday stated simply. The old man stared at her incredulously, and Daisy shook her head, thinking that they’d just lost their chance. The man burst into laughter and stood up suddenly, outstretching his hand.

“You’re quite a gal! But uh, I’m not really able to dispense gold like I used to.” he said, shrugging his shoulders. “You look like a couple-a travelers… I wouldn’t be able to finance no trip. No way.”

“Well… what can you offer?” Daisy asked, trying to keep her head turned away so he couldn’t see the Black Eye.

“Well…” the old man started, going quiet as he thought. “You could stay here and eat for free instead of getting gold as payment, how’s that sound?”

“Sounds good.” Thursday said, nudging Daisy with her elbow. The old man looked at Thursday and raised a big, bushy gray eyebrow.

“Not you, honey. I dunno if you’ve noticed, but you’re not exactly the most normal lookin’ of women.” he said, grinning. “Nothin’ personal. Just want our customers to be in a calming situation. Someone like yourself, well…”

Thursday grinned back.

“No offense taken. I know.” Thursday said, putting her hand on Daisy’s back and shoving her forward. “Introduce yourself to your new boss.”

“Uh, hi. I’m Daisy.” she said, finally offering him a full view of her face.

“How adorable. I hope you can handle stress better than the pretty little flower you’re named after.” he said. “By the way, I’m Karl, I’m your boss now. Oh, put this on.”

Karl reached under the desk and pulled out something black and stringy looking. He handed it to Daisy and she gave an appreciative smile. It was a new eye-patch.

“Well it certainly was nice meeting you two. Here’s the key to your room. Eight.” he said, handing Thursday a key with a small wooden hunk attached to it. The number eight was burnt into it. “Go ahead and put your stuff upstairs. Daisy, go see Joyce and get to work.”

Like a trained soldier, Daisy nodded at him and started toward the door, giving a quick, longing look back at Thursday before starting across the road.

“You don’t waste time do you, old man?” Thursday asked, smiling bitterly at him. It was good that they had living arrangements, she simply didn’t like how he bossed Daisy around. But that was a job, wasn’t it? Being bossed around for money? If it was, Thursday didn’t want one.

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

“You think I’m strict with her?” Karl asked, chuckling faintly. “You should see how I treat my kids.”

Thursday grunted to him as she headed toward the stairs, disappearing from the sight of the old man in but a moment. The inn had a straight, long hall that ended with another set of stairs, no doubt going to the second floor of rooms. For a town so secluded, he certainly had a lot of room for guests. Then again, many people probably passed through. Many, perhaps taken in by the homey atmosphere and pleasant surroundings, decide to stay instead of moving on. Either that, or Karl was merely overestimating the amount of customers he’d receive.

She found the room easily and unlocked it, ditching the pack onto the bed without hestitation. It was small, but it had a nice view of the treeline and the small yard behind the inn where a dog roamed, sniffing the ground curiously. The sun had disappeared behind the forest and the moon and stars were obscured by clouds, but Thursday still saw as though the sun were high above. One would not make much of an assassin unless able to function well in the dark.

“This is a nice place, isn’t it?” a fairly high pitched male voice said from behind her. Thursday spun and was faced with a familiar and yet unpleasant guest. Ultima, or Tim, as he liked to be called, dressed in his powder blue suit and standing as straight as an arrow. The inky, black pools that were his eyes surveyed the room and he smiled. “Where’s the flower?”

“You’re not going to kill me without letting me say goodbye to her, are you?” Thursday asked, wondering why she felt so scared. She knew exactly why. Because Tim was the only person she was certain could kill her. Because Tim was made to kill her, and sometime soon, he was going to.

“I’m offended that you find our conversations so easily forgettable, sister! I should stab you in your eyes!” Tim exclaimed, his voice somehow serious and playful all at once. He sighed and smiled and closed his eyes. “No. I told you I would kill you in Radasanth. This, if I recall correctly, is Haven, and not even a quarter of the size of Radasanth. However, if you want me to kill you now…”

“No.” Thursday blurted, startled at how her reply sounded more like a plea. “Is there something you wanted?”

Tim made a little grunting sound as though he were trying to think.

“I guess I just wanted to see you. You know you’re my only sibling left alive. I wasn’t exactly attached to our brothers but… you’re special. I can feel that. Do you think I’m special?”

“Sure, Tim. You’re special,” Thursday replied, sitting on the bed with a sigh. She felt like crying suddenly, her mind playing out what would happen if Daisy returned to the inn to find her dead. It was a painful thought. A scary thought. And it shouldn’t have been. Not for her.

“I know I am. Father created me that way.” Ultima said, glancing at the window expressionlessly. “Anyway. I should leave before I decide I want to rip your arms off.”

Tim started toward the door and Thursday stood up.

“Would you like another hug… uh, brother?” she asked, wondering if by being nice to the strange predator that he’d go against Father’s will. Tim stopped and turned around, grinning.

“Yes. I think so.”

And so they hugged, and Ultima left, Thursday having the feeling that she’d most certainly see him again, and most likely sooner than later. Utterly disturbed by the situation, Thursday decided she needed to see Daisy and get the free meals they were now entitled to. While the deal was pretty nice, it was only useful if one planned on staying in Haven forever, and though she told Daisy she was, she wasn’t. She needed to find Dante. She needed to settle things with her brother and see the capitol city of the most heavily populated island on Althanas. With Daisy she would settle down, that much was certain. She would even be willing to come back to Haven, but she was not staying there for good until she’d done what she needed to.

Downstairs, Thursday stopped at the front desk, Karl having waved her over before she made it to the door.

“You seemed a bit angry with me earlier.” he said, stating the obvious. “Daisy is in good hands. She won’t be worked too hard. The people here are pretty agreeable most of the time.”

Thursday gave him an appreciative nod and started toward the door in silence. He started chuckling.

“What’s so funny?” Thursday asked, turning around to regard him once again. Karl shook his head and smiled at her. He reminded her of a vulture, from the nose that he and his wife seemed to share to his gleaming, bare head.

“Oh… it’s not funny, it’s rather delightful. Enough to make this old bastard giggle.” Karl said, still smiling. “I haven’t seen that kind of love in a woman’s eyes or eye since I met Joyce, and I’ve been around, my dear, I have been around. Hold onto her and never let her go. I did.”

Thursday stared at the man, wondering just how long it was that he and Joyce had come into one another’s company. She approached the desk with slow, deliberate steps, her brow furrowed in curiosity.

“You don’t care that we’re both women?” she asked, wondering if perhaps she overestimated the persecution people like her received.

“You are new, aren’t you? Some zealot types may think what you have is wrong, but any deity I’d worship wouldn’t give a damn. Love just is.” he said, his smile fading into something nostalgic. “You know, Joyce was once a prostitute and I, a nobleman’s son and a Knight. Two women, two men, three people for all I care, I’m just glad to see it still exists in these, what some say are our darkest days.”

Thursday was speechless. Haven was, no doubt, a refuge for their type. Forbidden love, exiled upstarts and adulterous spouses, all were welcome and all were accepted. She was beginning to like the place.

“I’ve kept you long enough. Go, go to her.” Karl said, pulling a book out from underneath his desk. He started staring down his bird-beak nose at the words and Thursday left with a lopsided grin. Karl wasn’t so bad after all.

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

In the restaurant, Daisy was already hard at it, making runs from the kitchen to the sitting area without pause. Orders were given to Joyce, who would occasionally step out from behind the bar when Daisy was already occupied. From all appearances, the evening crowd, most of which was gathered at the bar, was more than two women and a cook could handle on their own. Karl was a fool to not hire Thursday, but in a way he really wasn’t. She had no experience in a restaurant, no experience cooking, and people skills that one would expect an assassin and one of bitter intelligence to have when surrounded by dopes and drunks. Which is to say none at all.

When she entered, Daisy didn’t have the chance to notice her. She took a seat at an unoccupied table to the front corner of the building, one that gave a somewhat blurred view of the outside through one of the two windows on the front wall. Thursday leaned back in the chair, letting the backrest touch the wall to brace her from falling. She kicked her feet up onto the table and waited to be noticed. It took ten minutes before she realized she wouldn’t be. Not with the amount of people in that night.

“Hey! Servant wench!” she exclaimed, getting more attention than she desired from the patrons. They stared at her with looks of disgust, as if they were embarrassed for her. “It was a fucking joke! You damned hi-”

“Thursday! Hey!” Daisy exclaimed, setting down a plate of food at a table not far from her own. She scurried over and gave a pleasant nod that Thursday somehow felt was already a part of her order-taking experience.

“How do you like it so far?” Thursday asked, raising an eyebrow.

“It’s okay… I guess. Some people have tossed an extra gold piece my way. I’m really hungry though. It’s killing me to watch these people eat when I haven’t.” Daisy said, sounding tired. Thursday grinned.

“Two steaks.” she said, tapping her index finger on the table. “One’s for you.”

“I can’t stop to eat! I’m bus-”

“Don’t worry about it. Just get it done.” Thursday interrupted, her grin turning into a smile. “Hey, turn around for a second.”

Daisy looked at her strangely and turned around, trying to look at her own back as if expecting something to be there.

“What? What is it?” she kept asking, unable to see what Thursday was looking for. Thursday had. She raised her arm and slapped Daisy firmly on the butt, sending her scampering off toward the bar with a face as red as the meat she’d just dropped off.

Thursday relaxed once again, watching Daisy give her order to Joyce, who then yelled it through a door into the kitchen. Then she was at it again, retrieving dishes and smiling and nodding and taking payments. Thursday was almost entranced by her movements. Darting across the room, table to table like some sort of ant. It was impressive how diligent she was when it came down to it. Thursday shook her head, thinking of Karl’s words and smiling.

“I’m in love.” she told herself almost in shame, burying her face in her hands to shield her reddening cheeks from view. When she removed them, her table was occupied. Directly across from her was the very same older man that had instructed her on their way into town. He was still dressed in his unusual casual wear and his blue eyes were sharp and predatory, a stark contrast from the dull glaze he wore in them earlier. Two men flanked him, dressed in crimson versions of his same outfit. The man on the right was in desperate need of a shave, as his face was a mountain of hair from eyebrow to beard. The man on the left however was rather handsome, almost pretty in a way. He had green eyes that surveyed the restaurant with caution. No doubt they were the man’s bodyguards.

“This table is occupied.” Thursday said, taking her feet off of the wood and leaning her chair back down. “I suggest you find somewhere else to sit.”

“Or what?” the hairy man said. His eyes, a dark brown like his scruffy facial hair, narrowed at her. Thursday grinned faintly and leaned onto the table, ready to tell him just what she would do, and ready to demonstrate if he was still curious. Looking past the man however, she saw Daisy approaching with two platters of meat in her hands. She set them down on the table in front of Thursday and looked warily at the three men that had joined her. Thursday merely picked up the knife and fork.

“Do you know these guys?” she asked as Thursday began to cut both of the steaks into small squares.

“No. But I’m sure they’ll introduce themselves soon.” she replied, stabbing the fork into one of the meat cubes and holding it up. “Open.”

Daisy snatched it off the utensil with her mouth and smiled.

“Just come back here when you want more.” Thursday advised, smiling back. She felt uncomfortable expressing affection in front of the strange men that had sat down, but she wasn’t going to let them stop her. Daisy nodded and started to walk off. The pretty man on the left slapped her on the rear as she did, and she spun, staring at them with disgust on her face. Thursday’s upper lip curled as a rage she’d never quite felt before boiled up inside of her. She reached across the table like a flash of white, snatching the man’s arm from the air before he was able to retract it. She slammed his hand palm-first into the wood only moments before driving her steak knife deep into it, piercing both his flesh and the wood to leave the eating- utensil-turned-weapon protruding from the underside of the table. He gave a sort of half-whimper, and more attention turned their way, a few of the customers rising from their seats.

“Why don’t you bastards get outta here with your trouble causin!?” exclaimed an older man, his anger expressed quite fully on his face. Joyce pounded her fist upon the bar.

“Get out! How many times have I told you dirty little rats to stay out of my place?!” she screamed, the bearded man rising and slowly exiting without a word. The older man had remained silent the entire time, his gaze focused solely on Thursday.

“Would you please remove that knife?” he asked her, Thursday staring at him in shock. “It seems to cause him much discomfort.”

Deciding that his little helper had learned his lesson, she plucked the knife from his hand and he withdrew the pierced appendage to his chest, where he clutched at it to stop the bleeding. He, too, got up and left, leaving Thursday alone at the table with the old man. A few other customers, their dining experience or quiet, pleasant evening ruined, also left, leaving the place with far less customers than it used to have.

“I found two bodies in the woods not far from my house. Bodies of people I was not on good terms with.” the older man said, his keen eyes staring at Thursday as though he could read her thoughts. “For that I am thankful. They would have eventually posed a problem. Your skills could be very useful to someone like me.”

Thursday sneered and shook her head.

“I’m not doing that anymore. Find someone else.” she replied angrily, wanting him to leave.

“In these, our darkest days, it is kill or be killed.” he said back, the words ringing familiar somehow. “My name is Melo, and I pay those that serve me well very handsomely.”
    “Get out you evil ol’ sonofabitch!” Joyce shrieked, pulling a dagger out from behind the bar threateningly. Melo stood and walked to the door slowly, stopping before he exited to point a knobby finger at her.

“I’ll be seeing you soon, Joyce.” he hissed, leaving just as silently as he’d came. A silence seemed to fill the establishment as everybody went to eating quietly. Daisy returned to her table, a sort of sadness in her eyes.

“You didn’t have to do that.” she said, her eyes focusing on the bloody knife. Thursday forked another piece of steak and held it up silently. Daisy took it and leaned down to kiss her gently on the forehead. “Thanks though. For everything.”

“No thanks necessary. Open. See why I’m wary about this place? Obviously the man with the most money is the most despised, which means he probably got his money through despicable means that may or may not have directly affected the people here.”

Thursday ate a piece of the meat herself and pointed the fork at Daisy as she chewed.

“I don’t want you to get hurt.” she said, setting the fork back down on the plate. “I’m going to see what I can find out about that man.”

She stood up and Daisy grabbed her arm firmly.

“Why? You promised.”

“To make sure I don’t get hurt. I did stab his bodyguard in the hand.” Thursday said, half-lying. She was going to find out more, but it was not to protect herself. She was too confident in his men’s lack of ability to be worrying about that. “A promise is a promise. Don’t worry”

They kissed, passionately and without concern for those around them. When it broke, Thursday initiated a hug, whispering “I love you,” into her ear as she headed back into the cold night. The wind had begun to blow, one of the road-side lamps having gone out because of it, and the trees surrounding them waving to produce a sound much like the waves of the ocean. Thursday closed her eyes, letting the wind wash over her like chill water from a fall. She went back to the inn, almost certain that Karl would have some information. If not, she’d go to Melo himself, and he’d tell her if he knew what was good for him.

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

“Melo… yes… that man is not one to be trifled with.” Karl said over his book. Thursday rubbed at her eyes in frustration and grunted.

“But what do you know? What should I know?” she asked, staring at the him on the verge of anger. Karl finally set his book down, letting the spine bend as he kept his page against the desk.

“Melo is a murderer from a place they call the Isle of Night. We had our run-ins in the past, when we were younger, but now we are both old, bitter men merely trying to survive. Unlike me though, Melo has not retired from his old charge. He may not kill by his own hand, but he still kills.” Karl replied, his upper lip curling. “Many of the men on the Tree of Sorrow are his own men and sons. Sacrificed to save himself or his business, which is the ruining of other’s lives.”

Thursday and Karl regarded one another silently, one reading the other like the book on the table. Thursday knew that Karl was able to see who she was inside, and Karl knew that she knew.

“I’d insist that you stay away from him, but… it’s so hard to go around the world these days without killing, is it not? You either kill or get killed.”

Thursday narrowed her eyes, wondering if there was more to Melo and Karl’s previous relationship than he had told her. They seemed alike and yet so different, it was hard to be certain of anything.

“What’s the Tree of Sorrow?” Thursday asked, curiosity overcoming her. Karl uttered a small, bitter chuckled and picked his book back up.

“If you end up associating with Melo, I reckon you’ll find out rather quick.” he said softly, looking at Thursday one last time before burying his face once again in the page. “Nobody can touch him. His connections are strong and far reaching. Just…”

“Wait, wait. Don’t touch him? What do you think I-”

“I do not believe that a heart filled with evil can also love, yet I am certain that blood stains your hands and your past. That is the case with all who end up in Haven.” Karl interrupted, his eyes scanning Thursday’s velvety cloak as though he could see inside. “I suppose I assume too much to think that you are some sort of… dark Angel, punishing the wicked that manage to go on unabated.”

Letting his words sink in, Thursday felt an unusual sensation overcome her. She felt as though Karl had invaded her mind and stirred up everything she had ever thought with just a few words and a cold gaze.

“I’ll remember that.” was all she could say. Karl gave a fake smile and returned his gaze to the book, officially ending their conversation. Thursday stood there, unable to think of what she could do to occupy herself. She opted merely to go upstairs, passing by two other residents as they headed out to do something of their own. The man, a tall, beautiful man with long hair, was followed by an equally beautiful woman of somewhat identical appearance. Siblings most likely. As they passed one another, nods of courtesy were exchanged, but no words.

In the room, Thursday removed her cloak and the fore-arm sleeves that kept her never-healing scars hidden from view. The cloak went upon a small hook on the wall by the door, the sleeves on the floor beneath it. Feeling unusually tired, she took a seat on the bed and took off her shoes with her toes. She fell back and sprawled out across the width of the thing, closing her eyes in an attempt to silence her racing thoughts.

“A heart filled with evil cannot love.” she told herself, wondering if it was true. If it was, then why was she so commonly regarded as such? Was a good person so easily able to lie, cheat, and kill for their own gain or merely to make others suffer? Was it in the nature of a good person to devise ways to use others upon first meeting them?

“No… it doesn’t make sense. You’ll never take a step if you worry about every insect underfoot.” Thursday said, exhaling sharply. She stared the ceiling in the darkness for some time, letting her thoughts stew. Despite all the warnings given to her by Karl, she began to formulate a strategy that would secure her the money she needed to complete her journey. It wouldn’t be easy, but it would have to get done. She would not stay in Haven without finding Dante first, and especially not with Tim still alive.

And for the first time in a while, Thursday thought about Tim. As it was, Thursday had no chance of defeating him. Sunday wouldn’t have, and all of their other brothers combined didn’t even get the opportunity. She was all that was left, and things were looking unusually bleak. Ultima, the man created to kill her, hadn’t yet, but they had been in one another’s company twice, both times being somewhat amicable encounters. However, in his black and red eyes she could see a smoldering desire to destroy. Not just her, but anything and everything, and it was worrying.

Hours went by as Thursday merely lay on the bed thinking. For short periods of time her mind would seem an endless waterfall, loud and never-ceasing, then suddenly go completely blank. She’d stare at the ceiling without a single thought or urge in her mind, that is, until the door opened. Sitting up quickly, she rose from the bed, her bare feet not making even an ounce of sound as she crept toward the body silhouetted in the frame. Grinning, she wrapped her arms around the person’s waist and carried them into the room, where she thrust them onto the bed like a lonely soldier in a whorehouse.

“Could it be any darker in here? I thought I was being attacked!” Daisy exclaimed, looking at Thursday with one squinting eye. She knew full well that all her lover would be able to make out would be, perhaps, a bit of white flesh. Whereas for her, Daisy was in plain view. She smelled like meat and alcohol and Thursday never wanted her more. She slid out of her shorts and unclasped her top, letting them drop to the floor without concern for where they landed.

“Thursday? Where are you?” Daisy asked, a faint tinge of worry in her voice. Something told Thursday that her one-eyed friend had a fear of the dark. She crept onto the bed silently, straddling Daisy’s stomach with a lustful gaze in her eyes. Thursday grabbed the bottom hem of her linen shirt and began to lift it up until she felt some resistance, Daisy holding the shirt down upon her ribs.

“I’m so tired…” Daisy said, yawning mid-sentence. “Maybe tomorrow, okay?”

Thursday stared down at her, releasing the shirt slowly to let her arms dangle limply at her side. Her upper lip curled upward just slightly and she asked, “You’re kidding, right?” just barely able to keep from yelling.

“I’m sorry, I just… feel like I need to pass out right now.” Daisy replied, her words sounding as distant as Thursday felt. Disappointment crept into her heart and was quickly replaced by anger and frustration. Daisy’s eye began to close and Thursday saw, for a brief instant, that same face contorted with fear and pain the first time Daisy ever denied her advances. She saw the spike pierce her eye and the life within her fade away. Thursday gasped at her own terrible thoughts and scrambled off of her. She fell from the bed and hit the wooden floor breathing heavily. She stared at Daisy on the bed as she curled to one side, using her own body as warmth instead of the blankets.

“I love…” she murmured, fading into unconsciousness. Thursday stood up and looked out the window at the swaying trees outside, a cool breeze causing them to dance in unison. Frustrated and angry, she found her clothes and shoes and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind her as if to spite the sleep that had ruined her only chance to enjoy herself the entire day. She thought to get her cloak but no longer gave a damn. She just needed to get outside. There wasn’t any chance she’d be sleeping that night anyway.

As if possessed, Thursday stormed down the hall and the stairs and found herself outside within a matter of moments. It was there that she found she was not sure of what she was going to do. She decided to explore, walking the main street of Haven toward the opposite side, where the trees once again enveloped it. The path became so identical that Thursday wondered if she was going the wrong direction. A bridge, similar to that on the side they had entered from earlier in the day crossed a stream that was also similar. The only difference was the lack of houses lining the road. The forest became progressively thicker, it seemed, until the trees were almost like massive green walls, designating the path for her. It was not far from the bridge that Thursday found a path that branched away. Thinner, yet quite well worn, it went through the wall of trees into the darkness.

Curiosity always got the better of her, and instead of simply leaving town, Thursday started down the break-away path. It seemed like something that would be long, perhaps even maze-like, but not even twenty steps down a walkway that curved only once did Thursday find herself in a massive clearing.

“Fuck.” was all she managed to say when the sight struck her. A massive tree, larger than the castle of Arnia and more gnarled than its now dead King, ominously stood from the ground. Its leafless branches bore fruit of another kind: nooses and bodies. None of them were ever removed or given burials. Some in varying states of decomposition, the bodies swayed in the breeze that the tree did not seem to feel. The ground beneath it had grass in odd increments, but it was black and brown, as if burnt or scorched at some point. Piles of bones, unable to support themselves in their nooses, lay strewn around the tree’s trunk and large, intertwining roots. It was terrible and awesome all at once. She had no doubt found the Tree of Sorrow, and its name was well-earned.

“Are you just going to stand there or what?” Thursday asked, turning around slowly to see Melo behind her. He was still dressed the same.

“Many of my own children hang from those branches. Some I sired, some I did not, yet all died for me.” he said, his voice soft and somewhat strained.

“That’s what they say. What do you want?”

“You smell like blood.” he said, approaching her slowly. “Ever since I saw you outside my house, that stench has been in my nostrils. You smell like death. Would it not surprise you that my business is similar?”

“Oh yeah? I never would’ve guessed.” Thursday replied sarcastically, she turned her gaze back to the tree. There were so many bodies. It seemed like all the town was already hanging there.

“I know why you are here.” Melo stated simply. “We are all here for the same reason.”

“Oh yeah? Why’s that, old man?”

“To find peace. To die.” he replied.

“Go away. You’re bothering me.” Thursday hissed. Melo did not leave.

“You will be paid handsomely.”

Thursday turned around and approached the man quickly, putting herself in his face as best she can considering he was shorter than she.

“I made a promise to the woman I love that I will never kill again. Stop bothering me or I will have to break that promise.”

“You will anyway. Promises were meant to get broken.”

With that, Melo started to walk away, back into the tree-walled path and out of sight. Thursday shook her head and turned back to the tree, watching the bodies dance their macabre dance in the wind. She would stay there most of the night.

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

“Where were you?” Daisy asked, sitting backwards on a barstool to face her. It was morning, and as such there weren’t many customers. Nobody came for breakfast, only dinner. At least, that’s what Joyce said.

“I was looking at a tree.” Thursday replied simply, finding that she really felt as though she wanted to yell at her. “I couldn’t sleep anyway.”

“I missed feeling your warmth when I woke up.” Daisy said softly, as if not being there had ruined the rest of her day.

“Yeah? Well how do you think I-”

Thursday stopped herself and watched Joyce work behind the bar, preparing glasses and mugs to be used at some point during the day.

“Joyce, who cooks if you are always out here?” she asked quickly, wanting to make sure Daisy didn’t pursue the end of her previous statement. The old whore smiled at her and set down what she was doing.

“My daughters, of course. Only the women in this family can cook, I swear. Ask Karl to make ya somethin’ and it’d be better to eat rocks. Prob’ly better for ya too.” she replied with a small chuckle. Thursday caught a glimpse of something in her eyes. Something she didn’t see often. There was so much life and happiness in them, so much experience and so much love. For her family, for life, for everything she’d been given.

“Are you gonna see if you can find some work today, honey?” Joyce asked, and Thursday snapped herself from her thoughtful trance.

“I guess I’ll have to. Who should I talk to?”

“Well, Joe, the blacksmith, he’s lookin’ for somebody I think. Other’n that, I really have no idea!” Joyce exclaimed, laughing at her own ignorance. Thursday gave her a small smile and looked at Daisy, who was staring out the open door as if hypnotized by the dirt road.

“Thursday… are you mad at me?” Daisy asked, her gaze slowly switching to Thursday’s eyes.

“No. Why would I be mad at you?” she lied, sliding off of her stool and standing before her.

“You just seem a little… odd today.”

“Instead of sleeping I spent the night analyzing a tree covered in dead bodies. It’s enough to put one in a strange mood, don’t you think?” Thursday asked with a faint smile. Infectiously it spread to Daisy, who bashfully nodded her head.

“What was that? I didn’t hear you.” Thursday teased, prodding Daisy in the belly with her fingers. She writhed and wriggled on the stool until the slid off and back onto her feet, giggling like a little girl.

“Okay! So you’re not mad!” she exclaimed with fake exasperation. Thursday, overcome with the emotions that still lingered from the night before, kissed her firmly, the both of them collapsing to the floor, laughing into one another’s mouths.

“Now, now, girls. This is the wrong buildin’ for that sorta thing.” Joyce said, a faint tinge of motherly scolding in her tone. Thursday broke the kiss and stared down into Daisy’s eye, lust burning in her gaze.

“I’ll be seeing you later.” she said, standing up and hefting Daisy up with her. She gave a limp wave over her shoulder as she left. Outside the pub, the chill air tickled her bare legs and belly, and for a moment she considered fetching her cloak. She decided against it, but was soon made aware that she was no longer wearing her sleeves either, her scars visible to any person who would fancy a look. They would bring unwanted questions.

Thursday returned to the inn, where Karl was nowhere to be found. She went to their room and retrieved her sleeves off of the floor, but left her cloak. The cold air was refreshing. On Effaria, a painfully dry and sunny place, the cloak would be well-needed, but on Corone, it was only an unnecessary weight. Besides, if you’ve got the goods, you may as well show them off.

Leaving the room, Thursday saw the same couple returning to theirs. No nods were exchanged. In fact, it seemed as though they were in a hurry. Thursday ignored it and continued back outside, where she took a deep breath of the cool morning air and made herself a promise:

Today I will find a job.

So she looked for one.. Joe the Blacksmith was in need of someone with smithing experience, which is something Thursday had none of. The merchants and small shop owners were self contained and needed only one person to work. The only place that seemed to want her was the bathhouse. But Thursday knew what bathhouses were, and would not subject herself to spreading her legs in exchange for gold. Especially for men. By early afternoon, Thursday was completely disillusioned with the idea of finding a job in Haven. She returned to Joyce’s restaurant, disheartened, worn out, and hungry.

“Hey sugar, you find anything?” Joyce asked, still positioned behind the bar. Thursday surveyed the establishment before answering. There was only one man in, and he was just about finished.

“No. I suppose I just lack the skills needed to survive in a normal life.” Thursday replied, Joyce seeming extremely crushed at hearing it.

“Ya sound like ya need a drink.”

“Wouldn’t matter, alcohol has no effect on me.”

Thursday took a seat at the bar anyway. In the back of her mind, she wondered where Daisy was, but didn’t make a fuss.

“What’s on the menu today?” she asked. Joyce set down a glass and looked Thursday square in the eyes.

“Whatever you want, honey.”

Thursday sighed. She didn’t feel like thinking.

“Just gimme whatever’s here.” she said, resting her head on the bar quietly. She closed her eyes and quickly began to drift into sleep, her thoughts being overwhelmed by the darkness.

“Thursday!” Daisy exclaimed, and she sat bolt upright, once again feeling as though she’d had something wonderful ruined by her. On the opposite side of the bar, Daisy stared at her with some unusual emotion on her face.

“You don’t look so good.”

Thursday grunted and said, “I don’t feel so good.”

As if she’d taken a swing at her, Daisy cringed.

“I take it you couldn’t find anything?”

Thursday groaned and looked toward the door. She felt so pathetic, then, unable to find a real job while her one-eyed companion could in their first night. She felt like Daisy was judging her.

“No! I didn’t! Because the only thing I’m good at is fucking hurting people!” Thursday snapped, standing up so fast her stool clattered away. “I’m going back to the room.”

And she did, leaving a startled and shocked Daisy behind. She stormed into the inn and upstairs, her hearing drowned out by the sound of her own beating heart. In the room, she sat upon the bed and fumed, her thoughts straying from her money situation to her sexual situation, but never lingering on one long enough to think of a solution. Slowly, she began to calm down and think more about a job. Melo’s offer echoed in her mind, taunting her with the idea of quick, easy money. All it would take is a few lives and she and Daisy could be on their way. The only problem was Daisy.

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

What was there to do? To accomplish the things she needed, money was necessary. To get money, she needed to talk to Melo and, if his hints were enough to explain what he needed her for, break her promise. Daisy however, wanted to settle in the first little town they found. She already had a job and she’d start making friends. It would get harder and harder to tear her away with every day that went by. Thursday made her choice and left the inn.

As she walked further away from Haven, Thursday pulled her hood over her head as a way to defend herself from curious eyes. Once she reached the bridge, she stopped, staring at the rock that Daisy had sat upon when she made the promise she was currently heading to break. She narrowed her eyes at it for but a moment before staring toward the woods. She knew where to find the bodies she’d left there, but the signs were all gone. Melo’s men or the predators of the woods must’ve done away with them. Thursday walked toward the rock and stood upon it, staring with a deep frown at the fish in the stream as they flittered about, nipping at each other when the food seemed scarce. Humans were no different, it seemed.

She leapt the stream and continued up the other side. The path was mostly bare, bereft, even of wheel marks or footsteps. Just as on the day she’d come to town, an old man sat on the porch of his isolated little cabin. The day was nearly done, and the path from the forest to the fields was shaded and green just as it was when she arrived. It was as if she were going in reverse, only minus the woman she’d come in with. The further she got down the path, the larger Melo’s little offshoot path seemed to get. When, at last the house came into full view she approached it slowly, warily, as if expecting a trap. She felt guilty for doing what she was, but it was a necessary evil.

A few men hung out on the stoop of the building. Relaxed, smoking whatever they smoked. They were laid back because they knew they could handle whatever trouble went their way. Thursday couldn’t help but find the humor in that. They had no idea what was coming their way. What seemed like a balcony seemed to go all the way around the large establishment on every floor, leaving room for a person to survey the entire perimeter. Most likely a very handy thing for someone of Melo’s profession.

Once she started down the path, a whistle came from one of the men below. On the third floor, another man opened a door and stepped onto the balcony, two more at his rear. They both carried bows, arrows at the ready. Apparently Melo did not take chances.

“What do you want?” the balcony man yelled down. Thursday withdrew her hood and some sort of sound of recognition was uttered.

“Oh, it’s you!” exclaimed the Balcony Man. Thursday focused on him, noticing a bandaged hand even from her distance. He sounded far too happy to see her than a man who’d been stabbed should have been. “Come inside, Melo is waiting!”

Thursday did as she was told. The men on the stoop parted for her like a curtain, each eying her with their own special glint in their eyes. One bore curiosity, another lust, and another something that seemed like jealousy or even hatred. Odd considering she’d never met any of them before. The doors in front were not typical. She tried to push them open but found that they would not budge. A voice behind her, snickering between words quipped, “They slide open.” adding to his friends “dumb bitch.”

Thursday slid the doors open and smiled to herself before turning around.

“You got a problem?” the man asked. Same voice as before. He stood up. He wasn’t tall, nor was he very imposing, but something about him seemed dangerous. Gray eyes barely visible through greasy strands of black hair stared back at her with a murderous fire.

“You’re pretty high strung, pal. Maybe I should cut a few of your strings.” Thursday said, her smile wicked, her eyes cold and cruel. The man swallowed and took a deep, long drag of the handmade cigarette he held. The tension between all of them was something nearly tangible, as though you could taste in in the air.

“Ah, Thursday, come in!”

Spinning on her heels, Thursday stepped inside the dwelling without a moment of hesitation. Melo stood before her dressed in his unusual, loose flowing outfit, a cat in his hands.

“That thing makes you look old.” Thursday told him, looking at it with little interest.

“Haha! But I am old, my dear. Please, come, come inside.” he said, shuffling further inside the dwelling and setting the cat upon the ground. “Oh, and please take off your shoes.”

Thursday kicked them off and left them by the wall. The entire place seemed composed of lacquered wood. All around her the floors and walls glistened with a wonderous sheen. The roof had a window within it, allowing a little bit of light inside. The stairs were directly to the right against the wall, they connected to what seemed like an indoor balcony, an alcove that allowed people to view those that entered from above. It was probably used as a second form of defense if standing outside became too dangerous.

Following Melo straight back, they found themselves at a little junction. A hall that went left and right. Melo went left. At the end of the hall was a room that was adorned with beautiful, ornate paintings on the walls. The center of the was an open pit of sorts, three steps down leading to a 15 foot by 15 foot miniature arena, mats of some unknown, yet uncomfortable looking substance lining the bottom. Thursday noted the weapons on the walls. Everything from swords to staves to unusual curved swords that she’d never seen before. For a moment, she prepared for an ambush.

“I want to test you. I need to know if you are what I think you are.”

Thursday looked at the older man and raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah? What’s that?”

“A heartless killer.” Melo replied simply. “Brutus!”

The very same man that had accosted her outside came bursting into the room, obeying the command like a dog.

“I want you to engage this woman without restraint.” Melo told him, his eyes drifting toward Thursday. “Fight with the intent to kill, Thursday. He is.”

Brutus stepped into the pit without a thought and stood on the far left side, his arms raising into some sort of fighting stance. Thursday sighed and unclasped her cloak, letting it flutter to the ground behind her, pin included. She stepped into the pit on the opposite end and stood still, her expression telling them all how bored she was.

“Begin!” Melo exclaimed. Others had come in to watch the proceedings, Thursday recognized the man with the bandaged hand, he winked at her.

“I hope you’ve said your goodbyes, bitch.” Brutus threatened. He started toward her furiously, swinging a fast but unfocused right hook at her jaw that went wild as she side-stepped the attack in silent grace. Her own right hooking under his, she placed himself behind him. As her hands took hold of his head, he barely managed to utter a grunt of confusion before she thrust his skull fiercely, snapping his neck and killing him in an instant.

“Goodbye.” she uttered simply. His is body dropped limply to the floor like a discarded toy and Thursday stepped back, her cold demeanor chilling the onlookers to the bone. A life gone in an instant, just like that, and she didn’t even flinch.

“You’re a monster.” one of them said. He was an older man with deep brown hair. He was also a fool. Whether guided by the hope for vengeance or the some backwards ideal or moral that he sought to defend, he leapt into the pit, fists at the ready. Unlike with Brutus, Thursday did not wait for him to make the move. She was on him like a lion on it’s prey, and before he or anybody else knew it, both of his arms were broken, snapped at the elbow like toothpicks. He fell to the ground, laying on his back and staring at his arms in utter shock.

She stood above him like a conquerer, her breath steady, her eyes narrowed. Melo clapped somewhat listlessly.

“Why did you not kill him?” he asked over the groans of his downed soldier. Thursday looked at the old man and shook her head.

“If I keep up like this you won’t have any men left.” she answered simply, stepping from the pit and retrieving her cloak.

“I am thoroughly impressed.” Melo said, nodding his head. “We will contact you tonight. Go tell your precious flower that you are now employed.”

Thursday stared at the ringleader as she reclasped her cloak and hid her body once again.

“Don’t call her precious flower again or you’ll be joining your friend here. You call her by her name or you never mention her. That’s it.”

Her threat seemingly heeded, only out of respect, Thursday started toward the door alone, shoving her way past the wall of soldiers who seemed too stupid to realize they could not contest her. She retrieved her shoes and smiled as she put them on. A job. She had a job. Melo didn’t tell her what she’d be doing, how long it would take, or how much, exactly, she’d be getting paid, but it didn’t matter. She’d get to Karl’s restaurant, tell Daisy, and eagerly await the sex she’d no doubt recieve. I’m so proud of you, Daisy’d say as she stripped down. Thursday’s smile grew.

She jogged back to town.

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

The weather told of an impending storm. Chill wind and an iron gray sky threatened to spill upon them a torrent of rain, but for the time, was content to rumble and flash showily, as if teasing the people below. Because of the weather, nobody seemed to be coming in to the restaurant for dinner. Who wanted to be caught slogging through the mud and rain to get home at night? In weather such as this, Joyce had told Daisy, the lamps had habit to get blown out or off of their hooks. Without the moonlight or stars to guide them, it would mean a night spent in the inn and more money taken from their pockets.

“We try to make it a point to keep ‘em around long enough so that they give up on going home fer the night.” Joyce said, Daisy nodding her head in understanding. It was underhanded, but they needed to make a living. She couldn’t blame them.

“The people in town have pretty much gotten wise to it, damn it all. So it’ll be slow tonight.”

There was nothing left to be done. Dishes were cleaned, tables were set, but nobody was there to disrupt it all.

“Well, you may as well give it up for the night. I’ll prob’ly be closin’ it up early tonight anyway.” Joyce explained, throwing up her arms in defeat. She rapped upon the door to the kitchen. “C’mon girls, it’s time to go.”

A few young women suddenly streamed from the kitchen, their blonde hair tied back to keep it out of the food. They all resembled their mother. All skinny, all with their big noses, ample chests and long legs. Their mouths, however, were like their father’s, small, pursed, as if always in thought.

“I dunno if you’ve met the girls. This is Sarah, Clara, and Morgan.” Joyce said, pointing to each one. “Girls, this is Daisy, she’s the one with the lady friend I was tellin’ you about.”

As if a match had been thrown into dried leaves they all sparked up, chittering about things simultaneously. Daisy wasn’t able to make them all out but could pick up a few things such as “What’s it like?” and “Is she really as white as milk?”

“Girls! Come on now, that’s rude as all Hell!” Joyce exclaimed, her daughters immediately hanging their heads in shame. “Pardon them, Daisy, they’re not exactly well-traveled yet. Haven’t seen some-a the things a person can come upon in the world.”

“I-it’s fine, really. I just don’t think Thursday would like it if-”

“What wouldn’t Thursday like?” She asked from the doorway, a curious expression on her face. Daisy smiled and so did she, her previous outburst all but forgotten in an instant. Sarah, Clara, and Morgan all gasped when they saw her.

“Your girlfriend is cute!” Sarah whisper-exclaimed - or was it Clara?

“And tall!” Added another. Daisy already lost track.

“That’s quite an open set of girls you have there, Joyce.” Thursday said, stepping further inside. She addressed Joyce, but her eyes never left Daisy.

“A closed mind often leads to a quick grave, so Karl says. These girls, though they ain’t seen much, won’t be too shocked when they do.” she replied, smiling to herself. Love’s power was contagious. She’d known it, and it was wonderful to see it again, especially between two woman who wouldn’t let the world make their choices for them. It made her want to see Karl. To put herself in his still-strong arms. She clapped her hands. “Well, I think it’s time to get out of here. Let’s go, girls.”

Sarah, Clara, and Morgan all stepped out quickly. Wordlessly, Thursday took Daisy’s hand and led her along behind her. They continued toward the inn even as Joyce locked up the restaurant behind them.

“Off early?” Thursday asked, grinning. Daisy grinned back, her cheeks turning a hue of crimson against her will.

“Yeah, ‘cause of the storm and all.” Daisy replied, looking oddly at her. “You sure are hap-”

Thursday silenced her with a kiss, deep and passionate and in the middle of the road. Things felt right for the first time all day. When, after forever, it had broke, Daisy stood back as if hit with a blast of sleeping powder.

“Wow.” she said, her voice distant.

“We’re going back to the room. I’m going to show you just how much I love you.” Thursday said, half-dragging Daisy behind her into the inn. Karl uttered some form of greeting but was ignored. They fumbled up the stairs, Thursday struggling to remove both of their clothes while keeping some form of forward momentum. After they got into the room, it really became a blur. A week of pent up lust and love and aggression all released upon Daisy who, for the most part, had no idea what she was in store for.

It was hours later that, while stretched out upon the bed, eyes closed in some vain attempt to remain lost in the past proceedings, that Thursday uttered to her half-asleep companion, “I got a job.”

Daisy was curled atop her, a tanned right arm draped over her milk-white chest. Her head rested on her shoulder, thick brown hairs occasionally tickling Thursday’s nose enough to cause her blow them away.

“You did? Where? How?”

Thursday looked down at Daisy, wondering how she would play off her little game.

“That old man that came into the bar, the one Joyce didn’t like… he needed a bodyguard.”

What?” Daisy asked, rising quickly. She stared at Thursday with a fire in her eye that she’d never seen before.

“It’s nothing! He’s just a paranoid old fool, wants someone around to make him feel safe.” Thursday lied, sitting up and putting comforting hand on Daisy’s thigh. She looked at her pleadingly. “We need this money. I promise, there won’t be a single soul taken by my hand.”

Inwardly, she cringed. She made a promise of her own that she was planning on breaking the same night without even flinching. Her good feelings were beginning to fade. She felt guilty, and she never felt guilty.

“I’m proud of you for not giving up on it… earlier it seemed like you were ready to-”

“Shh. Don’t remind me of how I acted. I was childish.” Thursday interrupted, laying back down. “I love you, Daisy. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“If it weren’t for you I wouldn’t even be here right now. You’re the one who keeps me out of harm’s way.”

Thursday had a bad taste in her mouth. If it weren’t for her Daisy wouldn’t have died the first time. She’d still have both eyes and be free of her nightmares. It wasn’t fair what she was doing. She’d decided as soon as she remembered that she’d have to tell Daisy what really happened to her but every time she looked into that single blue eye of hers she just couldn’t bring herself to. Thursday wasn’t able to imagine what would happen if Daisy was enraged by the idea. Maybe she’d even try to kill her.

“I’d deserve it.” Thursday whispered bitterly. Daisy looked down at her curiously.

“What’d you say?” she asked, crawling cat-like over her pale body. She straddled her stomach, a fiendish smile on her face. Thursday took a deep breath and sighed it out.

“I said,” she began, effortlessly flipping the situation around so that she was on top and Daisy straddled upon the bed. “that you weren’t going to get a break.”

Thursday licked her lips and dove in for the kill, but there suddenly came a rap upon the door.

“Thursday. It’s time to go.” came a vaguely familiar voice. With a sharp breath, Thursday gave Daisy a teasing kiss on the neck and chest before planting one last peck on her left breast and rising from the bed.

“Duty calls.” she said angrily. Wondering why of all days to get a job, she chose that one.

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

“Daisy,” Thursday added as she headed to the door. “I need you not to tell Karl or Joyce about the job.”

“But why?” she asked, and Thursday sighed.

“They obviously dislike my employer. I don’t want them causing problems for me or us.”

Daisy furrowed her brow and looked curiously at her.

“I don’t think they’d do that…” she began. Thursday’s glare made her come quickly to her senses. “Okay, I won’t tell. Just be careful, okay?”

Thursday outstretched her arms, her cloak thrust back over her shoulders.

“Come on. Nobody can touch this except you.” she said cockily as she opened the door.

“I love you.” Daisy said bashfully from behind her. Thursday didn’t say it back. Outside the door, only one man stood. He waved a bandaged hand at her and grinned.

“You’re pretty damned good, lady. I hope you’re as good as the boss thinks you are.”

“If you don’t trust his judgement, why don’t you make a move? Prove him wrong.” Thursday asked, almost hoping he would. By the time they were at the bottom of the stairs, he had outstretched his arm before her, in an attempt to stop her from moving forward.

“Look, I don’t want trouble. I’m impressed that you’d defend your woman the way you did even when outnumbered. I’m very much impressed that you managed to catch me off-guard as well.”

“Well I’m glad you found a role model. Out of my way.” Thursday hissed, her upper lip curling.

“The name’s Aaron.” he said, stepping back from her in a way of silently declaring his non-threatening state. Thursday cocked her head to the right and shook it slowly. He didn’t give up. It would’ve been admirable if it wasn’t so annoying.

“You know my name. Let’s go.” she said, waving an arm toward the door in some attempt to keep him moving. Aaron stepped ahead, opening the door to the inn for her to exit first. She stood back, waiting for him to leave. He gave up after only a few seconds and let her hold it open herself. Aaron wasn’t about to be holding any doors open for her. No chance. A carriage awaited outside. Black and pulled by black horses, a scruffy older man sat atop it controlling them, his eyes forward, his grip on the reins sturdy. The small rectangular door was open, and Melo, dressed somewhat more regally than before sat inside staring at her.

“Aaron, she looks about ready to tear somebody’s head off. What did you say to her this time?”

“I always look like this.” Thursday hissed, shoving Aaron aside so she could enter first. She sat across from Melo, staring at him with her cold eyes.

“Where are we going and why are we going there?” she asked as Aaron entered. Undisturbed by her rude shove, he sat next to Melo and smiled at her politely.

“You, Thursday, are now my newest prize fighter in the Sinful Cellar’s fighting tournament.” Melo said with a wry grin. “Let me explain. You, and up to three other fighters are place in an arena, perhaps armed, perhaps not, and forced to batter one another until the other is left standing. Is this okay?”

“There was an arena on Effaria where such things were very popular. I never participated, as it was before my time, but I do know what you’re talking about.” Thursday said, shrugging limply. “What are the rules?”

“Anything goes, my dear. Anything. Do not expect the competitors to be unarmed as you may be, and do not let appearances decieve. Many bosses such as myself will use deceptive and magical means to enhance their soldiers… but I don’t think that matters to you, does it?”

“Not really.” she replied blandly. “I’ve faced worse, I’m sure.”

The carriage jolted into motion, speeding along in a way that seemed dangerous. Each turn felt like it was going to tip them all over. The horses whinnied noisily.

“Now, you don’t have to kill anyone, but the audience likes killers. Whomever the audience likes will bring in more money for themselves and for their boss. I know that you want to get out of Haven soon, so…”

“Sure. Kill. The more style the better, right?” Thursday asked. Melo nodded his head and seemed to smile along with her. For all she knew, she’d be able to bring in enough money just from one fight that it wouldn’t even be an issue ever again, a one-time thing. It was, of course, a false hope. Haven was small example of a larger scheme. She was a killer, and the only jobs killers got were as assassins, bodyguards and bandits. Eventually Daisy would find out and she honestly didn’t know what would happen then. As they drew closer to Serenti, she couldn’t really say she cared.

The door opened and immediately Thursday smelled the ocean. She hated the smell. It reminded her of the cramped, disgusting boats they rode from Effaria to Corone surrounded by the dying, children and women weeping for their lost spouses. It truly was a hellish experience. Before her was, by all rights, a seemingly innocuous pub. It was, in fact, called the Sinful Cellar, but there was no light inside. In fact, there were hardly any lights on in the entire area. That may have been on purpose, but she really had no idea.

“Wait here. Aaron, keep an eye out, will you?” Melo asked as he stepped toward the front door. It was painted a bright red and chipped away in spots but still quite obviously one color. The old man knocked a specific pattern and a voice whispered something to him that Thursday couldn’t quite make out. Melo whispered something back and the door swung open.

“Come in quickly.” a fat, older gentleman said. Melo rushed inside, Aaron following quickly. Thursday strolled to the entrance. When not but a foot from the door, the man grabbed her arm and yanked her inside, shutting it quickly behind him.

“You daft, bitch!? There’s people out there that’ll have my head!” he exclaimed. Thursday’s right hand had turned into black metal. She spun and put the claw tips to his throat, forcing him to back against the door to avoid any sort of direct contact. He went rigid, pressing himself against the wood as if he could disappear through it.

“I’ll have your fucking head if you touch me again, understood?”

He began to laugh, his bushy black moustache swaying with each heavy breath.

“Oh, Melo, this must be your newbie, eh?! How do you find these killers!?”

“Yes, this is Thursday.” the old man said, running a hand through his long, gray hair. “She stumbled into Haven not but a couple days ago.”

“Well, well, well. I’m Bob. I own this here joint.”

“Your business must be booming she said sarcastically, looking about the establishment with disgust on her face. It looked condemned, as if not a soul had even been in the bar for years. Dust seemed to carpet everything from the tables to the stools and even the bottles of alcohol behind the bar.

“Believe me, dear Thursday, business is indeed booming.” Melo said with a grin. “Do you not hear the drums?”

Thursday paid a little bit more attention and did, in fact, hear drums. Bob walked toward the bar and seemed to disappear behind it.

“Come on! It may be dark, but they’re only stairs!” Bob exclaimed. Thursday looked at Melo and Aaron.

“We’ll be in the audience. Bob will tell you all you need to know.”

“Whatever.”

Thursday walked around to the opposite side of the bar where a stairway seemed carved into solid stone. It led deep underground yet some light seemed to glow from the bottom. Bob was already half way down. She caught up quickly and he began to speak as though she were already there.

“I’ve gotta warn you, women aren’t treated very nicely in these little games, are you sure you’re-”

“I know what I’m doing.” was all she said in reply. It seemed to shut him up until they reached the bottom.

“The crowd loves a winner. They especially love someone who takes initiative.” he told her, looking her square in the eyes. “I’m not going to lie. Many of the people you’ll see in here tonight were captured, purchased or enslaved in some way or another. They might not even be much older than 15. Is that-”

“I’ve killed, raped, tortured, and otherwise brutalized people of many ages without regret. I think a little bloodsport won’t kill me.”

“I guess we’ll find out, won’t we?” Bob asked, grinning slyly. “Today’s match will see you pitted against the competitors provided by the three other ‘bosses‘. At the end of this hall is your equipment room. There is armor, weaponry, and other assorted goods for you to bring up if you so desire. If they don’t fit or aren’t your type it’s not my problem. Listen to the guards in the room, otherwise, may whatever God you see fit to worship give you its blessings.”

Bob left and Thursday started down the dimly lit, cave-like hall. Much like the stairwell, it seemed carved through, dug away by a patient and determined hand. At the very end there was a room much larger than what she expected. Various types of body armors from chain-mail to full plate dangled on wooden mannequins. Sheathless weapons were on tables and wall-mounted hooks. Everything from swords to maces were available but really Thursday couldn’t care less. None of them were her style. Two silent and imposing men in armor stood at the only other exit, swords drawn, masks down.

“What would happen if I was to try and walk out of here?” Thursday asked, not caring which one answered.

“It’d be our jobs to stop you.” one of them said. The masks made it impossible to tell.

“Huh.”

Thursday sighed and folded her arms below her breasts. She stared at the two guards for some time before, suddenly, a bell above their heads began to jingle, irritated by a rope that traveled down into the door they had been blocking.

“Time to go.” one of them said. They parted like the door at Melo’s house and she walked past. The drums got louder the further in she went. It was dark, but at the end there was a light, a light and what sounded like battle. She began to hurry. Was she late? Was it a trap? Her quick steps became a jog until she stepped through the last bit of tunnel into a gaping arena. The sounds she heard were of a crowd, massive enough to crowd the streets of Serenti and loud enough to drown out a war. Bob’s underground masterpiece was truly underground and apparently more popular than she’d ever imagined. He stood in the center of the fighting pit, the walls around them were high and lined with intermittent spikes that appeared to be made of bone.

Three men stood centered on their own sides of the square fighting pit, one of them armored enough to appear made of metal, the other two sparsely covered but adorned with several weapons. They looked ready to fight. So was she.

“Esteemed customers, gamblers, and spectators of violent and profane, I present to you year six of the Sinful Cellar’s fighting series!” Bob exclaimed, his voice echoing through the arena by some magical means. The crowd began to cheer. They stomped their feet along with the deep, heavy war drums that pounded a steady, ominous rhythm.

“This is a four-way match to determine who, of four brand-new competitors who is worthy enough to continue on for their respective employers! To my right, the latest from our friend Salazar Pitstone, and his favorite son, Tony Pitstone!!”

The crowd cheered somewhat. Apparently the name Pitstone was not a crowd pleaser.

“To my left, the newest murderous dog from that malicious master Marcus Shadow, Hellion!”

The crowd went wild and just to be aware of who she was up against, looked to the left. The heavily armored monstrosity was Hellion, and he appeared to be just as much. The armor would, in the end, be nothing but a draw-back. Marcus Shadow, however, seemed to have a team that garnered much applause. She looked forward to fighting them.

“To my front, Stone Gray’s prized newbie, Pyrus!”

The crowd still hadn’t seemed to have died down from Hellion’s introduction, thus it seemed that Pyrus got more applause than he should have. Thursday grinned. It was her turn.

“And to my rear, the favored new girl from the Dark Knight Melo himself, Thursday!”

The audience, spurred on by Bob’s emphasis on the word ‘girl’ went off on a frenzied bout of applause, screams, and whistles the likes of which she’d never heard before. Thursday’s heart beat wildly. She’d never felt such a rush in her life. To have so many people spectating an act of violence that she could commit without fear of reprecussion or retribution, it was a real turn-on. She unclasped her cloak and thrust it back, letting it fall to the ground lifelessly to lay as a black pile.

“She comes bearing no arms or armor! She wears no sleeves, where are her tricks? Ladies and gentlemen this will certainly be a show!”

Bob darted from the center of the arena to a corner where the ground itself rose around him, lifting him into the audience area by way of pullies and rope. When it seemed had had finally gotten settled, a horn bellowed loudly, echoing through the arena like a call to war. The audience began to cheer and Thursday got goosebumps. The horn faded, and with a mighty bellow, bob exclaimed, “BEGIN!”
    Last edited by Thursday; 03-18-08 at 03:43 AM.

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

Had Thursday been new to the idea of killing for fun or money, she may have hesitated much like Pyrus and Tony Pitstone did. She wasn’t, and she knew that the best way to get the crowd to love her would be to take out the person that got just as much applause as she had not just quickly, but first. Hellion. Whoever Marcus Shadow was, he would be very disappointed with the results of his effort.

Grinning like a madwoman, Thursday broke into a run that surprised the crowd in its speed. They gasped as she was upon the heavily armored Hellion moments after he’d taken his only two overloaded steps. The fact that he was even able to move in the amount of metal he wore was a testament to his strength. However, walking wouldn’t exactly get one very far in a sport where even running wasn’t a viable escape. Unbeknownst to Thursday, Hellion was quite capable of swinging the massive mace he carried with ease in the steel plating that covered his body. In fact, he was a brutish, heartless man who, until being found and taken in by Marcus Shadow, traveled Concordia single-handedly destroying caravans, ravaging women, and otherwise butchering the innocent.

It was because of these things that Hellion was doubly surprised when his chest plate was torn from his body and flung away like a hunk of rotten bread.

“Dumb, stupid girl!” he yelled, swinging his weapon clumsily through the air. It struck the ground where Thursday had been standing a few moments earlier, a few moments too late. The hooks at her heels tore through the ground, kicking a cloud of dust into the air that obscured them momentarily from view. When the dust settled, Hellion’s entrails had spilled upon the ground. His abdomen, slashed into ribbons by ten razor-sharp claws, had released the organs due to the lack of flesh to hold them in. Still alive, Hellion’s mighty, barbarian voice howled much like a wolf or a coyote would have before he collapsed to the ground in a pool of his own blood and gore. Thursday stood back, blood dripping from her black, clawed fingers. The crowd seemed dead. A hush having washed over them the likes of which astounded even Bob himself.

“A-and Shadow’s Hellion is the first to fall! Disemboweled by Melo’s very own Thursday! She is, of course, my favorite day!” he exclaimed shamelessly. The crowd lost it, their near deafening silence turning into a truly deafening roar of applause and awe. Thursday had to wonder, then, if the Sinful Cellar’s little tournaments had ever seen someone as vicious as herself in them. She let herself bask a moment more in the love of the audience before turning her attention to Pyrus, a blonde haired man with brown, tanned leather on as his only form of armor. Upon realizing that her gaze had settled upon him, Pyrus seemed to freeze. He seemed a statue until - out of some hope for a quick, merciful death - he drove the dagger in his right hand firmly to his temple, piercing his brain and snuffing himself before anybody would get the chance. The audience laughed, and with them, so did Thursday.

“Pyrus, it seems, has had enough of the games for one night, folks!” Bob exclaimed, his voice tinged with humor. The crowd ate it up, laughing once again. “It appears that all we have left now are Tony Pitstone and Thursday, and call me crazy, but I think the Pitstone line is gonna be finished after tonight!”

As if spurred on by this blatant insult at his skill (and obvious decree that he will soon be dead), Tony Pitstone charged at Thursday, short-sword in hand. In the time it took Tony to close the distance between she and him, she had some time to decide on what method she would use to dispatch him. She thought of how Daisy would react if she saw any wounds on her. Briefly she considered her more destructive powers but, to use them in front of such a large audience could acquire attention outside of the arena that she would be much better off without.

When Tony came swiftly approaching, Thursday stood at the ready. Knees bent, claws bared, she was situated to handle any sort of situation besides the one that actually happened. At the last moment, Tony’s left foot struck the ground oddly, and embarrassingly and fatally enough, he fell face-first to the ground, sliding to a halt not but a foot away from her. He coughed, breathing in dust with every gasp for air he took. But when they began to subside, it sounded as though he were laughing. Laughing at the absurdity of it all. Thursday stomped on his right wrist, forcing him to release the sword he still managed to possess. As she knelt to grab it, Tony Pitstone stopped laughing suddenly.

“I guess we know why they didn’t clap for me, eh?” he asked, still finding some sort of bitter humor in his predicament.

“If it’s any consolation,” Thursday began, noting Tony’s surprise that she even spoke, let alone affably. “This isn’t personal.”

She raised his sword above her head and drove it down into him, piercing his head and pinning him to the ground. He writhed somewhat as a pool rapidly formed beneath him. The crowd was going wild.

“And today’s obvious winner, the bright up and comer Thursday! She will move on to the next round to face bigger, badder and meaner opponents than before! Thank you for joining us tonight at the Sinful Cellar and don’t forget to collect on your bets, folks! Good night!”

Just like that, Thursday wasn’t even important anymore. Above her, the crowds rose from their seats and started toward exits that Thursday was curious about. Where, exactly, did everybody come in from? Where there abandoned buildings all over the city used as hubs and secret entrances? She noted it as something to ask Bob the next time she saw him. Unfortunately, it would be sooner than she hoped.

She went back the way she came in, finding the two guards still standing their posts in front of her exit.

“I take it you won?” one of them asked. Thursday stopped in her tracks, not bothering to face them.

“I’d imagine that the losers don’t just walk out. Do they, you fucking moron? What do you think?” she hissed angrily, starting back down the hall she’d once used to come inside. Behind her, none-too-concealed, someone whispered, “What a bitch.”

She made her way back up the stairs and through the abandoned, dusty building to the outside world. Serenti seemed, once again, a city. People walked the streets as innocuously as before. Nighthawks trudging from pub to pub, prostitutes strolling their favorite alleyways. The empty place she saw before was nothing like the one she stood in now.

“Someone like you would make an invaluable addition to my team.” said a raspy, grinding voice. From around the corner of the Sinful Cellar approached a handsomely dressed man. His hair was black and, much in the opposite of his expensive clothes and straight-backed, rigid demeanor, it was greasy and untamed, drooping into his face in locks. He wore a cloak that flowed despite the fact that there was no breeze. It obscured the rest of his body in the darkness as well as reminded Thursday that she forgot hers inside.

“Hellion was a worm. You… you are something special. You should join the winning team before it’s too late for you.”

“You must be Shadow.” Thursday said, unimpressed by the sleazy man before her. Threats like his were the tools of the weak. She doubted there was anybody he could throw at her, tournament or otherwise, that she couldn’t handle. “I’d suggest leaving soon.”

“Do you think I am scared of that old fool Melo?! Please!”

“I suggested it. Not him.”

Teeth flashed and Marcus Shadow turned around, strutting off into the city as if he owned it. Were it another time and place, Thursday wouldn’t have hesitated to cut his throat the moment he turned away, but outside of the arena she was not laying her hands on a single person. With a deep sigh, she closed her eyes and tried to relax. However, she could not. Daisy was no rookie to the horrors of war. She’d know the smell of blood.

When the carriage approached, Thursday stared at it with indifference. The door opened and Aaron stepped out, holding the door open for her. She stood still, staring.

“Jeez, you just won’t let me win, will you?” he asked in exasperation, stepping back on and taking his seat. Thursday followed, sitting exactly where she had on their way there. Melo sat opposite her, smiling a smile that reminded her of Sunday.

“You were…excellent, my dear. It’s a shame your woman does not appreciate your talents. Were she here today, she would have been so proud.”

“You know what? That is a shame.” Thursday said, at first irritated by his words but coming to find the truth in them. Would their relationship ever work if things continued the way they were? If she wanted to find Dante, then eventually she would need to confront Ultima. Did Daisy expect her to merely lay down and give up so soon? To retire when she’d just begun to shine?

“Here are your winnings. It truly is a shame about Pitstone. His wife would not stop screaming after the battle.” Melo said, handing her a medium sized leather pouch. It appeared somewhat small, but when grasped, was heavy enough to function as a powerful bludgeoning tool.

“How much is this?”

“Five hundred. It will get progressively higher as the matches progress. By the end of this whole ordeal, you and I will be much richer.”

“Thursday… I gotta admit,” Aaron began, his green eyes twinkling, “You proved yourself a force to reckon with. Brutus would be honored to have died by your hand.”

Thursday scoffed and rolled her eyes.

“Brutus was an idiot. Melo sent him to his death knowing full-well that either his best man would die, or he’d have a new one shortly.” she said. Melo laughed.

“Brutus was not my best man. Aaron is. Unfortunately, due to a wound he incurred during a scuffle in a bar, he is unable to participate.” he said, winking at Thursday knowingly. “But, I suppose he will think twice next time he decides to touch a waitress’ backside.”

“It was worth it.” Aaron said, folding his arms across his chest with a grin. Thursday eyed him as though she were ready to wring his neck, and for a moment it seemed as though she were going to. The look faded into a grin and then to a silent laugh.

“You should see it without the pants.” she said, and they all laughed.

Thursday once again had found herself a group of like-minded thugs that she could call her comrades.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast