Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

When the carriage came to a halt before Melo’s offshoot path, Thursday had been the first to the door and the first out. The path had small torches lining it. Beacons for whoever may have gone out for dinner and ended up coming back drunk. A few men still hung out on the porch, smoking, talking, enjoying the crisp night air. It never ended up raining. The sky had cleared and the stars were out, the moon was illuminating the forest beautifully. It was the type of night Thursday would’ve enjoyed walking in. Instead, she reeked of death. Blood caked on her arms and face, she stared at Melo as he got out, watching him step from the carriage to the ground without assistance, yet suddenly use his cane upon taking steps toward her.

“You did very well tonight, Thursday.” Melo told her, nodding his head at her in respect

“Thanks.” she said, feeling suddenly very guilty. While in the process of killing Hellion and Tony Pitstone she really felt good. She felt like she was back doing what she was always meant to do. Now that it was over, the arena back in Serenti, she was reminded of Daisy and the promise she broke just to make some money. She felt, in the pit of her stomach, that she had done something bad. Ironic in that killing two people, she didn’t really care, but a simple promise could tear her apart.

“Come inside with us. I shall have a bath prepared.” Melo said, snapping his fingers. Aaron sped past them, heading inside the massive house with determination. “Though you may not have seen them before, I have several beautiful women that I employ to do several things. Make meals, clean clothes, and so on. I suppose it is my way of substituting for my lost wife.”

“How did she die?” Thursday asked as they started down the path. She had an idea. Any man who had the title of Dark Knight before his name and worked with such unsavory characters as Marcus Shadow had to bring misfortune down upon those he grew close to simply by association.

“She took ill, died in her sleep. This was about ten years ago.” Melo said simply. That was all it seemed he wanted to say about her. They continued inside in silence. Without needing to be told she slipped her shoes off on her own, Melo doing the same right next to her.

“Continue to the main hall, go right, and to the far end on the left. It will be made certain nobody disturbs you.” Melo said softly, shuffing toward the hall and going left. Thursday followed, looking down the left hall to see Melo step into another room. She wanted to ask how he earned his title ominous title and what his past with Karl truly was, merely out of curiosity, but it would have to wait. She started toward the right and, somewhere midway down the hall began to smell flowers. It was strong enough to be noticeable, but not enough to be stifling. At the far end to her left she found a door open and waiting. A pale woman was inside, kneeling besides a marble pit in the floor. It was massive, enough to hold probably all of Melo’s entourage if needed.

“Hello, you must be here for bath?” the little woman asked, her almond shaped eyes dull and empty like those on a doll. She spoke with an accent Thursday had never heard before.

“Yes. What are you here for?” she asked, staring at the seemingly confused woman intently. She held out a cloth and made a motion as though she were wiping an invisible window.

“I… wash?”

Thursday approached and snatched the cloth away.

“Get out.”

The woman gave an odd bow at the waist and shuffled to the door. She closed it behind her and Thursday finally felt as though she could relax. Alone at last, she let her cold face express the feelings that wrenched her gut. Guilt, paranoia, and some sort of sadness all vied for her full attention and release, but she didn’t let them have it. She undressed, leaving her shorts and nearly non-existant top where they lay. Approaching the water, she found it was the source of the smell, some sort of perfume having been mixed into it at some point, perhaps magically. Balancing on one foot, she dipped a white toe into the water, testing it. She couldn’t see any obvious fire or any other means of warming the water, yet it was hot. Not scalding, but not tepid either. Without an ounce of restraint, Thursday let herself slip into the depths of the enormous bath. She found it looked much more shallow than it was and she broke the surface of the water, letting it envelope her entire body. As she sank, she opened her eyes and crossed her legs sitting at the bottom of the bath sitting on the warm marble listlessly. She watched the faint torchlight from under the water, her hair writhing around her like black snakes. When she needed air she returned to the surface and stood. The bath, at it’s deepest, stopped just below her collarbone.

“What am I going to do?” she asked herself, staring at the reflection in the water. Something behind her head caught her eyes and she craned her neck upward. The entire ceiling seemed composed of a glass dome. She was thankful to find that there were no people staring in at her, but the moon was. Looking like a half-shut, judging eye it bore into her, reminding her of what she’d done. She grabbed the cloth and began to scrub vigorously at her fingers and arms. A red, watery mist began to float around her, slowly dissipating into non-existence. With it, so did some of her guilt and anxiety. The evidence was gone, but the lie still remained. Thursday let herself sink once again, the water washing over her face and hair until she was enveloped in it. She fingered her scalp thoroughly, scratching at it and removing knots in her hair. When she came up, Melo was sitting at the edge of the bathing pool, legs crossed. His gray hair hung over his face and he looked tired, moreso than a man his age should have.

“My wife… she did not die from illness.” he said simply.

“I figured. Do you watch all of your fighters bathe or just me?” Thursday asked, sounding truly uncaring about the matter.

“No. You have nothing I desire, nothing I haven’t seen before.”

Drip by drip, Thursday’s hair cut the silence.

“How did she die?”

“Marcus Shadow killed her.” Melo said, his voice devoid of emotion.

“What?! Why is he still-”

“He killed her in the ring.”

She suddenly knew why Melo had come to see her.

“She got involved when a son of ours was killed by one of his men. She challenged him to a duel. My dear… she was quite a warrior. Quite a fierce rogue before I had met her. Shadow was better.”

Thursday stared at him for a moment before finally asking, “Why are you telling me this?”

“I tell you this because I wonder… are you sure you’re ready to do what this job requires? You may very well die or, even worse, a vengeful widower or Boss may try to hurt someone you care about. No, the only person you care about. Daisy.”

“If I wasn’t sure about this I wouldn’t be here.” Thursday said, finding his worry unnecessary and offensive. “Maybe you’d forgotten, but you pressured me to do this. Why the sudden concern?”

“I see the love in your eyes. The same love I once saw in the eyes of my old friend and his wife.”

“Karl and Joyce?”

“Indeed. But that is another story.”

Thursday sighed, her hair had nearly gone completely dry.

“Why haven’t you gotten Shadow for your son and wife?”

Melo grinned, the type of grin that would fit a Dark Knight.

“I have. I took his son and his wife. My men have made his life very unpleasant as far as his dealings and the Sinful Cellar goes, but now that Brutus and Aaron are out of comission, I expect you to keep up in their stead.”

“You know I will.” Thursday said resolutely. She clenched her fists beneath the water, the mere thought of Daisy being harmed because of her turning her stomach inside out.

“Well, then this old man is going to retire for the night.” Melo said, standing with a grunt. He headed for the door but stopped before opening it. “There is another bout tomorrow night, but beforehand I would like you and yours to join Aaron and I for dinner.”

“Sounds nice. We’ll stop in then.”

He took his leave and Thursday let herself sink beneath the water once again, staring at the wavy moon as it judged her from above.
    I have done a thousand dreadful things
    As willingly as one would kill a fly,
    And nothing grieves me heartily indeed
    But that I cannot do ten thousand more.

EXP: 18,750, Level: 4
    Level completed: 80%, EXP required for next level: 1,250
    Level completed: 80%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,250
    GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

A short walk later, Thursday was creeping up the stairs of Karl’s inn, silent as a ghost. Had she not known better, she - and probably anybody else - would have thought her an assassin on a job, sneaking around to kill some hapless person with the wrong kind of enemies. She found the door to her room unlocked and upon entering was greeted by the dull glow of dwindling candlelight. Daisy, still undressed, was curled to the left side of the bed, twitching and moaning unpleasantly in her sleep.

“No,” she said, sounding frantic and scared, “Please, I’m a…”

Thursday clenched her teeth, her eyes narrowed. The pleas sounded too familiar.

“Daisy?” she asked, trying to rouse her from her nightmare with words.

“Stop… please stop-” Daisy’s sentence was punctuated by a piercing shriek. Tears formed in Thursday’s eyes as she recalled the very same sound years ago, the day she perpetrated the horrors Daisy was currently reliving in her sleep. The agonized howl Daisy uttered filled Thursday with an undeniable urge to protect and comfort her sleeping partner. She charged at the bed and crawled atop it with cat-like grace. At Daisy’s rear Thursday draped herself over her body as best she could, pressing herself against the unusually cold flesh. In pleading, desperate tones, Thursday could only repeat, “I’m sorry.” to her, as If it could take away all that she’d inflicted.

“Mmm… you smell really good…” Daisy mumbled drowsily. Thursday swallowed hard, trying to remove the lump in her throat that she knew would hinder her speaking.

“Yeah… I-I had a bath tonight.” she croaked in reply, wiping her eyes vigorously. “How- uh, how are you?”

“Fine, I guess. I was having the nightmare again.” Daisy said bashfully, as if it were something to be ashamed of.

“It’s fine, I’m here now.” Thursday said softly, squeezing Daisy firmly into her.

“Are you okay?”

Daisy rolled over in Thursday’s embrace to face her. She stared as best she could in the waning light at Thursday’s eyes, both of which were focused on the Black Eye and not her true one.

“I’m just… really happy to see you.” Thursday said, lying in the fact that that was not the problem. Daisy chuckled faintly.

“You’re such a softie.”

Thursday went stiff. Softie? Nobody had ever called her that in thirty years of life.

Then again, she thought, I’ve never been as soft as I am now. I hold in my arms, right in front of me, the thing that makes me soft. My weakness. Maybe I have gone soft, but even if I have, I really don’t care. With Daisy I’ve never felt happier. Every word she says, no matter how stupid, is beautiful prose. Like a fool, I’m completely in love. Nothing else matters besides that.

“You’re my life, Daisy, you know that, right?” she asked, trying to sound calm and composed.

“And you’re mine,” Daisy replied dreamily. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Sure, yeah… just trying to adjust to this new life of ours.”

Daisy gave a faint chuckle and pressed her lips to Thursday’s gently. She pulled back with a full-on smile.

“I’m so happy you’re doing this, Thursday. I love you so much.”

“Yeah…” Thursday muttered, trying to find a way to change the subject. “You know… every time I hear you say that I just get this wonderful tingle between my legs.”

“Say what? I love you?”

“Oooh, yeah, just like that.” Thursday said with a grin, teasingly beginning to tickle Daisy. Unable to defend herself from the assault, Daisy frantically writhed and flopped about until she fell off the bed. At the same time that she struck the wood, their door burst open. In it stood Karl, naked save for a pair of plain white underpants and a gleaming broad-sword.

“I heard a scream! What’s going on in here!?” Karl yelled, his voice a resonating boom perfectly fit for a Paladin. Embarrassed and exposed, Daisy leapt back under the covers and buried herself beneath them, as if hoping he wouldn’t know she was there.

“Daisy had a nightmare. Everything is fine.” Thursday said stiffly, sitting up on the edge of the bed and glowering at him. “And even if it wasn’t. There’s nothing that could happen here I couldn’t handle.”

“You think so?” Karl asked, grinning and shaking his head. “Young arrogance will not always protect you, Thursday. Keep it down.”

He closed the door behind him and Thursday followed to lock it.

“Do you think he saw my-”

“No. He’s old and it’s too dark. I did, though.” Thursday said, the playful mood suddenly eliminated. What if instead of Karl it was an assassin or Tim come to finally enact his charge. Her upper lip curled, her fists clenched tight.

“Thursday?” Daisy asked, rousing Thursday from her paranoia and unnecessary rage. “Come to bed, it’s cold under these blankets without you.”

Wordlessly, she joined her weakness in bed and, left arm draped over Daisy’s curled up form, fell asleep in but a few moments. She didn’t dream.

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

Daisy spent the day at work existing in a sort of dreamlike state. Nothing seemed like it could truly be happening. She was lost in her thoughts. When she had awoke that morning, Thursday was not next to her. She was naked at the window, staring out as if entranced by the forest beyond the town. They spoke a little, about little things. How work was going for Daisy, to which she replied, “Good, good.” and about Thursday’s first day at work, which she had nothing to say about whatsoever. Daisy got dressed, kissed Thursday goodbye, and went across the road to her job. The morning yielded quite a few customers, most of which wanted a hearty meal before going to their own jobs that they - or their wives - would not supply them. Daisy got a few small tips, wondering just how much Thursday had brought home with her the day before. The pouch was massive, bulging. The stitches threatening to burst at any moment. She couldn’t believe that the old man that she’d seen not but two days earlier could have been the supplier of such funds on his own. Then again, his house was bigger than most of Haven’s main street.

“You okay, honey?” Joyce had asked. Shocked, Daisy stumbled over her own feet, spilling some ale to the floor. She knelt and began to wipe it up with a cloth before replying.

“Yeah, I’m fine I guess. Just… I dunno. A bit out of it today I guess.” she said, the ale having been cleaned. She gave the mugs to the man who had requested the both of them and returned to the bar, sitting upon a stool with a great, drawn out sigh. It felt good to be sitting.

“Are you not happy here, Daisy?” Joyce asked in all seriousness, like a concerned mother. Daisy shook her head slowly.

“No, I mean yes- I mean no!” she fumbled, trying to make sense of her own sentence, “sure, I’m fine here, I guess I am just a bit worried about Thursday.”

Joyce set down the glass she was wiping down and leaned a bit over the bar upon her elbows.

“Something wrong with you two?”

“Not at all, just… it seems like there is something going on I don’t know about.” Daisy said, running a hand through her own short, scruffy hair, ruffling it much like Thursday often did playfully. “She’s got this new job… it kept her out late. I was asleep when she got back in and when I woke up well, I think she was crying.”

“Who is she working for?”

Daisy remembered Thursday’s request, and frankly, she wasn’t sure how Joyce would react anyway. It was easy for her to say, “I don’t know.”

“Out late and came home cryin’ huh? You don’t think she’s… selling her body, do you?”

Joyce’s question, while at first sounding ridiculous, had caught Daisy off guard. It seemed entirely out of character, but maybe, just to finance their journey, Thursday had subjected herself to the sexual wiles of men only to keep her promise not to kill. Daisy slid from her stool and quickly ran out the front door. Not far to the left of the entrance, she collapsed to her knees and vomited into the dirt, coughing and sputtering as she tried to rise but stumbled backward onto her rear. Joyce had followed, making some noise of worry as she approached.

“My goodness, Daisy! Are you okay?!”

“What have I done?” she asked, tears in her eyes. She could still taste the bile. “I drove her to it, oh God I turned her into a whore! How stupid could I be?!”

Daisy’s screams drew the attention of a few street-walking citizens out on their daily business. Eyes would linger and whispers would be sent between spouses and gossipy housewives.

“I think you should take the rest of the afternoon off, dear, you need to get some things sorted if I say so myself.” Joyce said, helping Daisy to her feet with arms that didn’t look as strong as they turned out to be.

“Now, you go to Thursday and you figure it all out. If you see Karl, tell ‘im he’s just gonna have to deal with it.”

Daisy nodded her appreciation and walked slowly back across the street, trying to find the words she needed. She didn’t want to just come out and ask, it could be potentially damaging if not fatal. By the time she’d gotten inside, she still had nothing.

“Excuse me, one-eye, shouldn’t you be working?” Karl asked, his words sounding simultaneously cruel and yet not.

“J-Joyce let me off for the day, I threw up.” Daisy said shyly.

“Hope it ain’t a plague you got, girl. Best go up to your room.”

“Where’s Thursday?” she asked, starting toward the stairs.

“Not up there. She’s out back talkin’ to some foppish lookin’ fella.” Karl said, his tone becoming dark. “She didn’t look very happy to see him.”

“I just don’t understand you.” Tim said, arms folded across his chest. He had a new suit, this one a dark violet, composed almost entirely of velvet it seemed.

“How could you? If I’m inhuman and you’re worse than I, what does that make you?” Thursday asked, looking at the incredibly tall Homunculus blankly.

“It makes me a monster, of course, but, you are changing the subject, dear sister. Do it again and I’ll cut out your tongue.” he threatened, his voice calm as if it were casual conversation. “Why do you love her? How do you love her? Even after she makes your guts go wild after doing what you do best, you still cling to this one-eyed human as though she’s-”

“Shut up, Tim.” Thursday hissed, striking a chuckle from him. “I don’t know why. If I could figure it out I suppose I’d have to write a book.”

“Well you two certainly are perfect for one another. Two un-aging, soulless vessels. How does she taste, hm?”

“You’re disgusting.” Thursday said, diverting her gaze.

“Well! I suppose that is my cue to leave! I’ll be seeing you later.” he crooned, and black flames engulfed his body. They retracted and he was gone, a simple scorch mark residing in the grass where he once had been. Thursday shivered, not because of the chill air, but because of the fear he inspired in her. He could kill her at any moment, so why, why did he continue to torment her with it? Was sadism something else Dante had programmed into his wicked mind?

“Thursday?”

Spinning to face the voice, Thursday’s clawed hands were at the ready. Instead, Daisy stood at the corner of the inn, hands wrung in front of her as if she’d walked in on her angry parents in hopes of forgiveness.

“Oh, Daisy. What are you doing? Shouldn’t you be at work?” Thursday asked furrowing her brow in curiosity. Daisy sniffled and shook her head.

“No, I… It’s just I… I don’t feel very good. I threw up outside the restaurant.”

Thursday approached as swiftly as an arrow, putting a cold white hand to Daisy’s forehead tentatively.

“You don’t feel very warm. In fact you’re pretty cold.” Thursday said, concern in her voice. “You-”

“I’m just gonna go lie down. I’ll um, I’ll see you when you get…” she trailed off, her gaze going toward the ground. “When you get off… work.”

She scampered away and Thursday took a deep, breath. So much for dinner with Melo. Sensing that there was something else going on with Daisy, Thursday decided it was best not to join her upstairs. It was only early afternoon, but there was nothing else for her to do and nowhere else for her to go. She decided that she’d go to the only place where she felt like she could belong, Melo’s house. She started to walk, noting what a fantastic day it was outside.

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

Up the stairs and to the right side of Melo’s dwelling, he and Thursday sat on an open balcony that stared into the thick green of the forest. He drank tea, stopping occasionally to rub the his unusual robe down the chest with the back of his hand. Either out of some compulsion to smooth it, or merely to enjoy the silk on his skin, Thursday couldn’t be sure, but she saw it, and for some reason the repetition bothered her.

“You seem unusually tense, Thursday,” he said, taking a silent sip from the ceramic, floral patterned cup. “Does the line of work I’ve put you in cause some sort of stress?”

Looking curiously at the man, Thursday took a deep breath and sighed it all out, her gaze returning to the swaying leaves splayed before them. Already the old man seemed to have a connection with her, a sort of fatherly concern. Something she easily deduced, especially after his tirade at the Tree of Sorrow. She, Aaron, the now-dead Brutus, they were all his children, and she was probably the first daughter he’d ever come to know. She’d never felt the urge before to talk about any problems simply because she’d never had any. But in a relationship like the one in which she found herself, in love with the woman she once raped and murdered, well, things were going to get pretty tense after a while.

“Daisy…” she began, unable to find the right words. It was embarrassing to say the least.

“Say no more. Love is an ever changing landscape,” he told her, winking from behind his cup. “You don’t have to tell me what is wrong if you don’t want to.”

“I promised her I wouldn’t kill again. As soon as we got to town I promised her I wouldn’t do it and now the guilt is just…” her teeth clenched as if to further illustrate the point, “eating at me. Every time I look at her I feel this emptiness inside, you know?”

“I do not know, but I understand. You feel guilty for lying to the woman you love. That is not so unusual. Just tell her the truth, what’s the worst that could happen?”

“She’s a reanimated corpse. Much like I was created from nothing. I was the one who took her right eye and killed her, but before that I used a metal spike to steal her… chastity,” she added, the cold demeanor at which she spoke it leaving Melo staring at her, speechless. Thursday sighed, feeling a bit of the tension leave. Now someone knew, and that was a start.

“Well,” Melo prefaced with a chuckle, “That certainly complicates things. I’m guessing that she does not remember how she died if she chooses to remain in your company.”

Thursday suddenly felt something dark nag at her. Of course. It was foolish to think Daisy would stick around if she knew the truth.

“She doesn’t know, obviously. You’re right though, I should just tell her.”

“Of course, lest she finds out herself. Then she could believe you were attempting to continue the lie. That would not bode well for your relationship.”

“No… of course not,” Thursday said softly, sinking into thought. She began to process the situation in a more logical, cold fashion, like the Thursday she was as opposed to the one she’d become. The plan had been set in her mind, and after the fight, it would be put into action. Away from Daisy and in the presence of Melo, Thursday felt like her old self again. It was an unusual, distancing sensation, like a traveller visiting their child-hood house. It was home once, but it didn’t feel the same anymore.

“Are you even certain that you two are compatible? Surely she is aware of your… nature by now.”

Thursday had never thought about it. Feelings could be misleading, blinded, confused. It had all happened so fast, maybe in the end they simply weren’t meant to be.

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

Dinner with Melo and his men went by in a blur of warm bread and wine, the latter of which was not to be consumed by the fighter of the evening, no matter how much she insisted it had no effect on her. Aaron, however, seemed to be more than willing to make up for her share of the wine, having imbibed far too much to be useful as a bodyguard or even as company. Melo opted to leave him behind. Despite the odd silence between them on the trip to the port city once again, things progressed almost exactly as they had her first night. Less confrontational when greeted once more by Bob, Thursday shook his hand and headed, as she had before, to the staging area.

She again eyed the weapons that were laid out for her, but noted their poor quality. Surely anybody who was supposed to be there would come prepared. The Sinful Cellar may have had a more sinister side to it than mere gladiatorial combat. Whether it still went on, she didn’t know, and doubted she’d ever need to.

“Evening, gentlemen,” Thursday said to the two guards at the end of the room, guarding the tunnel that led to the arena itself. Swords drawn, they looked at one another as if unsure whether they should reply at all, most likely still irritated by her behavior the last time she was there. If it was the same men, she couldn’t tell, their armor made it nearly impossible. Something about them seemed off, however. Their movements were wracked with hidden signs of nervousness and worry. They glanced at one another, looking for something, and finally the guard on the right stepped forward.

“You’re going to die out there tonight,” he said, rather plainly. Thursday smiled at first, thinking it was a morbid joke at first. The smile faded when the other guard stepped toward her as well.

“Yeah? What makes you say that?”

They looked at one another again. The one on the right spoke for them again, telling her, “All three fighters are Shadow’s. They’ve been instructed to focus their attacks all on you. Even your strange magics can’t save you.”

“Hellion was my brother!” screamed the other suddenly. The guard on the right extended his arm, holding the man back for a moment.

“I’m sorry for your loss,” Thursday stated sarcastically. “What makes you think I can’t handle Shadow’s boys? I took care of Hellion just fine. Your buddy there remembers, doesn’t he? How his brother watched his guts spill out onto the dirt, helpless to do anything to stop it.”

“Filth!” screamed the left guard. In his rage infused attack, Thursday found herself startled and surprised at the man’s speed. He was on her quick, having swung and landed a powerful blow to the side of her head, the hilt of his sword being used as a club. Whether it was meant to be a decapitating attack that missed in a fortunate way, or simply a way to throw her off guard, it worked, sending her stumbling a moment as her vision blurred. Still mildly confused, she leapt to the side as she man swung downward with his weapon, the blade cutting through the air audibly.

“What is this?!” she growled, kneeling in a predatory stance.

“We were paid rather well to wound you before the fight begins. Please understand this is nothing personal on my behalf,” said the guard on the right as she stepped into the fight. Realizing the situation, and having successfully recovered from the blow to the head, Thursday took a handful of the dirt from the floor into her right hand and tossed it unceremoniously into the eyes of the man whose brother she’d killed. The throw was well-aimed, much of the stuff hitting the guard’s face and eyes even past the metal slits in his helm. He stumbled back, doing the very thing Thursday hoped he’d do in order to fix his vision: he removed his helmet. Chubby face revealed, Thursday thrust her right palm into the man’s wide nose, forcing a break and further inhibiting his ability to perform. His sword dropped to the dirt as both hands rose to stop the torrent of blood.

“Come on, idiot! It’s one girl!” the other guard yelled, wisely keeping his guard up as he closed the distance between them.

“Yeah, idiot! Come on!” Thursday mocked as she tore her cloak free and tossed it aside, revealing her suddenly black-clawed metal hands. She made a teasing attack motion at the guard and he stepped back, yelping faintly in surprise. Some distance between them once again, she leapt at the other guard, his eyesight having finally returned in time to see a much larger problem approach. The sharp-tipped fingers of her right hand drove into his exposed eyes, eliciting a sharp, high-pitched shriek as he fell backward, now permanently blinded. Unfortunately for Thursday, the attack of one guard left an opening for the other. Once her attention had switched focus, he was running already frantically down the tunnel toward the arena.

“She’s attacking the guards!” he began to scream, a strange fear having suddenly come to his voice. “She’s gone mad! She’s gone mad!”

Angry at the sudden attack and the confusing nature of the situation, she reached for the other, still screaming guard, shaking him violently as she asked, “What’s going on here?! What is he doing?!”

Whether he decided living blind wasn’t worth it, or simply out of a mad, pain infused delirium , the blinded guard laughed as his head turned to the slowly disappearing voice that ran down the tunnel.

“Y-you didn’t know?” he asked, still laughing to himself.

“Know what?!” she screamed, shaking him once more.

“The penalty for attacking staff is death! You’ll… you’ll have agents from all over Corone paid to hunt you down!”

He kept laughing up until the moment her claws found his throat, digging their way in slowly and cruelly until he had died. Panting from both excitement and uncertainty, Thursday quickly grabbed her cloak and wrapped it around her shoulders, once again obscuring her pale flesh and blending in with the shadows. There came a sudden, deep thud against the door that had sealed her in the staging room. Thinking it was going to be the reinforcements, Thursday slunk into the darkest corner, ready to pounce when the unsuspecting men came in. However, when the door opened she did not have to attack. Melo stood there, his eyes cold, his teeth bared. His hands and face were covered with blood, as was the front of his strange, showy robe. The blood was not his. A gleaming thing in his hand caught the light, and Thursday grinned as she stepped from the darkness. The handle of what was once his cane was connected to a long, slender blade, from which streaks of crimson dripped to the floor.

“Years of planning on behalf of Marcus Shadow have gone into this night, Thursday. I’m sorry you had to be a part of it,” he said, staring at the homunculus with strong, determined eyes. “As it is, however, we need to get out of here immediately.”

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

The old man and Thursday hastily returned to the surface, stepping over the bodies of the men Melo slaughtered on his way to her. They unhooked and stole the horses from their carriage, the driver of which may have been dead, or simply off awaiting his pre-determined arrival time. As they sped from Serenti on their filched steeds, Thursday looked at the narrow-eyed Dark Knight. His mind was obviously not there. In his head, he was determining the course of actions that had brought him to that night. The series of revenge kills and thwarted plans exchanged that sent Marcus Shadow down the path to what seemed to be assured victory over his long time nemesis.

“To be honest,” Thursday yelled over the sound of stamping hooves, “I actually am kind of impressed! This is a pretty underhanded scheme he’s pulled off!”

Melo looked at her gravely, slowing his horse once he felt they had sufficiently found themselves in the wilderness again.

“He has ruined my livelihood and put all of us in danger,” he said, his tone firm and bitter. “You’re right. I wish I had thought of it myself.”

Meanwhile in Haven, Daisy was sitting in the pitch black room she shared with the woman she was certain she drove into prostitution in order to keep her from killing people. She sat at the edge of the bed, tossing one of her twin daggers into the air and catching it by the hilt. It was something she found herself doing often when stuck deep in her thoughts. Everything seemed so out of her control it was frustrating. The life of quiet retirement no longer seemed worth it, when Thursday’s happiness and body were forfeit. Daisy dwelled like this for some time until finally deciding that some company and a warm meal might do her good. Wiping tears from her eyes and righting her clothes, she left the room and started downstairs, only to hear Karl’s booming voice from the front landing.

“Listen, Melo isn’t here! What about that is so hard to understand? I’d never let that bastard into my inn! Let alone my town!”

“Then this other… this Thursday,” said an even firmer, younger voice. “Surely you’ve seen a tall, pale woman here. They’ve both of them commited a terrible crime against the Serenti Syndicate. Your cooperation and silence would be appreciated.”

Daisy edged her way toward the stairwell, slowly dropping to her knees to peer through a gap in the railing to see six darkly clad men circling Karl’s favored table and himself as he sat in it, looking at them indignantly.

“Typical. He brings suffering down upon the heads of those around him, as he often does,” Karl said, is voice remorseful and soft. He seemed to know what Daisy did not, as the men surrounding him drew small blades.

“So you do know this man well? Your information is obviously not to be trusted, nor your cooperation to be expected.” the large, heavily armored man growled. Daisy could only see the back of his head, a long, stringy mane of greasy black hair draping down over dulled plate armor. He raised a thick arm and pointed out the door, grunting faintly as if in irritation.

“Two of you go to the tavern. Ask the wife, ask the children. Retrieve information any way you see fit.”

“Don’t you dare touch my girls!” Karl bellowed, standing up defiantly. A plated fist landed on his shoulder, attempting to push the large older man back into the seat, but he refused. There came a faint nod from the larger man, and one of the brigands at Karl’s back lunged, driving a dagger into his lower abdomen. Another joined in, stabbing at his chest twice, and then another, all of them piling onto the groaning innkeeper as they shadowed his collapsing form.

Hands drawn over her mouth, Daisy was struggling not to vomit or scream. She silently withdrew from the cold murder and crept back to the room, grabbing her belt of knives and buckling it on swiftly. That man had made Thursday do something horrible, and now everybody else was going to pay for it.

“Son of a bitch,” she hissed as she headed for the window of the room. As she climbed out, determined to help Joyce and her daughters across the road, she made herself a new goal: kill Melo the next time he showed his face.

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

Crouched in a grassy patch behind Karl’s inn, Daisy began to creep to the edge of the building. Kneeling behind a scraggly, withering bush, she watched the men storm from the inn and into neighboring buildings, torches in their hands. As screams of surprise and anger began to arise from around Haven, Daisy noticed far more horses meandering the streets than could possibly belong to the men that came into the inn. Something began to nag at her. This was far more than just a manhunt. These men were going to tear the town apart whether Melo was in it or not.

“Karl!” shrieked a voice from across the street. Daisy couldn’t tell if it was Joyce or one of the girls, but she knew they were all there, still cleaning from the end of the day. The odds, and that nagging piece of self-preservation inside of her told her that it would be best to flee into the woods and let the course of actions take place. Joyce and her daughters would be killed or raped into submission, and Haven would burn to the ground. Time spent as a brigand in Sunday’s ragtag, countryside burning army may have had something to contribute to her feeling that way, but more time spent away from them told her she simply couldn’t. As there came a sudden bout of male laughter from across the way, Daisy took a series of sharp, calming breaths as she rose from the bush and darted across the street, between abandoned mounts and over the small fence that surrounded the back of Karl and Joyce’s restaurant.

“Who the hell-”

Startled by the sudden voice and that she had been spotted, Daisy didn’t even notice the leather clad thug that had been standing at the back door, ready to pounce as the women attempted to escape. However, he seemed doubly surprised that a woman was suddenly before him, and thus was quick to act. Daisy was not, and she drew both of her daggers swiftly, planting them both into the man’s chest with a quick, pulsing jab, both weapons having been pulled free before he could collapse to the ground. Someone whimpered inside the building, close to the door, and Daisy pulled it open. One of Joyce’s daughters fell out, Daisy jumping back out of shock to allow the girl to fall onto her stomach. It would’ve been an act she’d apologize for, but the knife in the young woman’s back and the lack of movement told her it was too late.

She knew full-well that there were more pressing matters to attend to. The shouts of battle began to ring through the small town as men awoke and armed themselves to defend their families. There was a distant glow of fire on the trees that walled them in, the smell of smoke and burning flesh. Daisy however, couldn’t help but kneel at the downed girl before her, turning the frail thing onto her side to see a once pretty face contorted in fear and pain. A horrible way for a girl her age to go. A horrible way for anybody to go.

“Bastards…” Daisy growled, her hands clutching the hilts of her daggers in a white-knuckled embrace. “You sons of whores!”

With a shrill cry of battle rage, Daisy leapt into the restaurant’s kitchen, eager to kill once again.

“Oh, my…”

Melo knew long before they had arrived at his secluded mansion that things would not be as they left them, but he did not expect the building to be in flames. The home he had made for himself and his “family” was engulfed in oranges and reds, the blackened pillars that may have been doorframes or even precious art were all that remained. It was this, coupled with the several bodies scattered before the towering blaze that set the old man into a fit of an emotion he hadn’t felt for some time: sadness.

The old warrior had dismounted from his horse, his cane-blade dropping to the dirt at the animal’s hooves as he started toward the flaming structure, his graying hair fluttering about his head, the once fine ponytail having been disheveled by their escape. Thursday also dismounted, starting over toward Melo, who had dropped to his knees perhaps in reverence of his old, opulent home. She stood at his side, the heat warming her face and exposed belly and legs as her cloak too was driven to wild whippings by the fire’s fury. She placed a consoling hand on the old man’s shoulder and squeezed before heading toward the bodies. Curiosity having gotten the better of her, she began rolling men onto their backs to see their faces. She recognized some, including the woman who had offered to wash her after her first match, but there was one body she did not find, one that should have been readily available.

“Aaron’s not here, Melo,” she yelled over the fire’s roar. The man looked at her, not bothering to hide his tears as he rose from the ground, brushing off his knees and starting toward her. His eyes, too, scanned the bodies, and though he wiped at them many times, he surely didn’t see anything different.

“To get a man inside my organization… it seems I underestimated that man for far too long. And here I thought I had the upper hand. Oh, the hubris I have shown.”

Thursday had not heard the man’s melancholy musings, as a glow somewhere else in the verdant forest told her that more than one fire had been set. The sudden, terrifying grip on her heart that came with thinking Daisy may be in trouble nearly made her drop to her knees.

“We have to get to Haven!” Thursday bellowed. Melo nodded at her and started in a short jog to his horse, quickly grabbing his cane from the ground and mounting the beast. Thursday started towards hers as well until a quick, sudden shock of fear shot up her spine. Melo’s look of surprise and befuddlement at something beyond her told her all she needed to know.

“I’m afraid, dear sister, that the time has come.”

Spinning around nonchalantly, Thursday turned to face her so-called brother. Ultima - or Tim as he preferred - was standing steadily at the head of the path that started toward Haven. He wore a frilled purple suit, dressed more like a dandy gentleman than any methodical killing machine. The dark crystals that served as his eyes reflected the fire that burned at their backs, giving him a more sinister expression than he normally exhibited.

“Thursday, who is this… man?” Melo asked, once again dropping from his horse. She turned to the old knight and held out a blood-stained hand.

“Stop! Stay back!” she screamed, turning hurriedly back to Tim. “Haven is going to be destroyed, Tim! I can’t let them kill all those people!”

The pale face of death twisted in laughter as he pulled the velvety tophat he wore from his head and tossed it into the treeline, once again focusing the fire-lit eyes upon her, instead of the man at her back.

Please do not pretend that you care about those wretched townsfolk! Farmers and smiths, pah! You slain a thousand of their kind! No, I know your real concern,” Ultima spoke grinning at his intended target wickedly. “She’s gotten herself into quite a mess, indeed. If they do not take their turns with her when they finally get their hands on her, she will not die pretty. She’s doing rather well, though, your little pet. Revenge will be all that’s on their minds when they catch her, bloody, lustful revenge, I imagine.”

“Tim… please…”

Thursday looked pleadingly at that which was created simply to end her life, wondering if perhaps the brotherly nature he’d been sharing with her was more than a game, and true affection. Perhaps even a deviation from his intended purpose.

“No, Thursday, I find this a most fitting and epic end for a creature such as yourself, who has spent such a magnificent life ruining all that she touches. That is unless…”

“Unless what?” Thursday asked, unwilling to let her hopes rise in the face of such a cruel being.

“In time spent away from our father, I have realized something. My power, that which was gifted to me so by him, is far more than I need simply to kill you. Perhaps enough so that I could be King of somewhere. King of everywhere, even. Of course, even I do not exhibit such pride so as to blind intelligent thought. If I hadn’t enough alone to do these things… perhaps with you, my sister, who so has experience with the workings of human governments, I could achieve these things easier.”

“I can’t leave her to die, Ultima. I can’t!”

“In exchange for your life, in servitude to me, alone, this is the other price I would ask. Throw away this sad romance. Throw away this life as a brigand and thief and let us rape this world! Let us rule, conquer, burn all that we see, if we find it so fitting!”

The madness in the created man’s voice seemed to waver, though the fire literally reflected in his eyes made the idea seem all the more plausible. Though in the situation, she had no real choice. To crush the thing’s dreams would end in her and Melo’s death. To join him only ended in Melo’s and Daisy’s. In the end, what were their lives, exactly? The unfortunate circumstances behind her choosing left her feeling weak and queasy. Tears welled in her eyes, though she refused to let them fall.

“Okay, brother,” she said, mustering a faint, cold grin as she looked into his crystal eyes. “Let’s make this world our own.”

The brotherly Ultima had returned. In a plume of black flame he vanished and appeared not but a foot in front of Thursday, wrapping his arms around her to pull them into a strong hug. Though not even close to audible over the sound of roaring flame, there was the faintest crinkle of ripping cloth, and Tim suddenly went rigid in their hug, his own grip seeming to lessen as Thursday’s grew tighter.

“Now, sister… what have you done?” the thing asked, his arms dropping to their sides. Overcome suddenly with the weight of the dropping being, Thursday spun him, but kept him in her grasp. Melo, having watched the scene with shock, found himself staring at a most unusual thing. The female homunculus had ripped the other’s coat and shirt, her hand having slid beneath the cloth to press to his skin.

“Thursday… Thu-Thursday…” Ultima said, his voice soft and distant, “You… you… were far more clever than I… antici… pated.”

With a sudden, echoing sigh, Thursday released the man in her arms, dropping a shadow of the former being that was once there. Withered and dry, the husk of Ultima struggled to breathe, his gaunt, fear-tinged face looking up at what he once considered his primary objective. Her hand sizzled, the caustic blood from his back covering her palm. But his blood, much like Thursday’s, was not simply acidic, but was infused with the power of deconstructed magical artifacts and tools, a magic that allowed Dante to create life from nothing. The very magic that had been over-infused into his final creation in order to purge the lessers from the planet was now in Thursday, whose entire hand was aglow with a purplish haze that began slowly traveling up her arm and over her shoulder.

“Dear Gods… what’s happening?”

Thursday collapsed to her knees, her entire body vibrating. The cloak wrapped around her neck and draped over her body rose about her and began to glow, only to deconstruct before his very eyes, the cloth turning into white-hot embers that floated into the air and vanished into the night. Grabbing onto Ultima’s boney leg, Melo leapt back as the body did the same, flashing and disintegrating into nothingness. Concerned for the woman, and for his own well being, Melo started back toward her, even as her once milk-colored flesh began to be overcome by the glow, seeming almost transparent, but revealing nothing.

Her clothes flashed white and vanished from her body, a featureless being of arcane and darkness rose before him. Trembling with a fear he had not felt in his many years of life, he glanced into the voids that were once her eyes and saw a pure darkness. When her mouth opened, the sigh that came out seemed deafening. It assaulted his very soul, chilling him in a way he’d never experienced.

This creature of unfettered power looked at the cringing old man, and with a voice that echoed across his mind as though it were being yelled across a chasm stated, quite simply, “I’ve really done it now.”

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

Daisy was glad she had but one eye at the moment. At some point during the melee she incited upon entering Joyce’s restaurant to defend her and her daughters, some disarmed brigand had sent a bottle careening at her head. It shattered, and cut above her eyebrow, sending blood over her eye patch and down her cheek, but not into her eye. Still, she was in better shape than the men she’d attacked. Giving that they had the numbers to defeat her, careful timing and dirty tactics kept most of the men back so that she could occasionally inflict a wound upon the others. By now, she had taken her share of scrapes and hits. Beside the bottle, a sword nicked her right thigh, and a decent-sized splinter of wood had unfortunately found its way into her forearm as she was sent toppling into a table that collapsed under her weight.

“Come on! Sons of whores, come to your death!” she screamed, a fury burning inside of her that she had not felt in some time. This was different than the feeling of fighting for freedom or what Sunday believed was right. This was heroism. If she was going to die, she wanted it to be like this. Defending the weak, protecting the chaste.

“Come, men! This cunny can’t be more than a quick-thief! Show her what true rogues can do!”

Daisy let loose a faint growl as she leapt at the far under-wounded inciter. The quick movements set the men back, unexpecting of an attack from one who had spent most of the brawl on defense. Having closed the distance between herself and the rowdy bandit, she drove the dagger in her left hand into his chest and the right into his throat. With a raspy gurgle he lunged backwards, clutching at his wounds. It was unfortunate that during the attack, reinforcements had arrived. No sooner did Daisy think to turn and start at another of the invaders than a heavy, metal fist slammed into her head. She collapsed to the side, forced by the weight and not by any conscious thought to the left and onto the floor. Unconscious, she along with Joyce and her daughters were restrained and taken to the town’s square, along with others that had been captured or wounded during the attack. It was here, in the twilight of an approaching sunrise, that their interrogation would begin.

Daisy awoke to the sounds of sobbing. Men, women, children, all of them uttering the cries that only those that saw their death approaching would ever utter. Her head ached, the cut where the bottle struck her burned, most likely because it was that side of her head that had been in the dirt. As she slowly squirmed upright, she found herself bound at the wrists, arms behind her back. Looking around, her vision slowly coming to her, she noticed many of the other townsfolk, people she’d never met or even seen before were very much in her same position. As she crept to her knees, she saw men picking people out from the crowd of captives and pull them aside to berate or beat them, occasionally asking a question pertinent to their task so as not to seem overtly sadistic.

“Please, take solace in that I do not find much pleasure in this! My job, I assure you, is only to find Melo and Thursday, and then I will leave your town in pieces!” exclaimed the overconfident bellow of the large, plate-armored man. His face was hairy, both beard and moustache a length and under groomed state that seemed almost unbefitting for civilized man. It obscured most of his face, though Daisy could see he smiled at what was certainly witty in his mind.

“Silly me! I meant peace!”

The other men laughed, some of them too far to experience the humor as they ransacked the homes and nearby shops for goods or money. A girl screamed in the distance, and someone in the crowd, a man, leapt to his feet.

“Sarah! You leave my girl alone!!” he screamed. The scream of a father. Arms tied, body bloodied, he charged away from the crowd toward a house further into town. There was the sudden twang of a bowstring and he collapsed face-first into the road, eliciting a chilled, despairing groan from the other residents. That was when it started to get ugly.

“You did this, you bitch,” someone to Daisy’s left growled. It was obviously intended to her, something that was made perfectly clear with the adding of: “and your white-skinned whore.”

“Yeah! We lived peacefully until you showed up, cyclops!”

Daisy, her heart beginning to race, looked around hastily. Maybe she could get to the trees. Depending on how well trained their archers were, some well-timed ducks and trick turns could be enough. As soon as she rose to her feet however, someone kicked them out from under her. Unfortunately, it was not a guard, but a fellow captive. Angrily they continued to kick at her, their heels striking her thigh and shoulders.

“What the hell is wrong with people?! I tried to help you!” Daisy screamed, starting to immaturely kick back. Others began to chime in.

“Hey! Hey! This one here knows the one you seek!”

“Yes, take this one! The brown hair! She sleeps with the beast who brought this upon our heads!”

Daisy angrily managed to fight away the kicking feet and rose to her own. Her back turned to the advancing brigands, she stared at the captives of Haven with tears of frustration and simmering rage in her eye.

“I had nothing to do with this! I have been trying to help! I tried to help, I did! Why are you do-”

Daisy was unable to finish her exasperated tirade two men at her back siezed hold of her shaggy brown hair and pulled her back, yanking her completely back off of her feet. Dragging through the parting crowd, Daisy was helpless even to kick back at those who dared to do the same at her. Just as she was being brought to the commander of the invading mercenaries, someone’s boot landed squarely with her nose, forcing a trickle of blood to speed down her lips.

“What’s wrong with you people?!” she shrieked, flailing her legs angrily as she was lifted back to her feet by her hair, this time by thick, plated fingers. The bearded commander looked coldly into her eye, his own filled with a sadistic gleam.

“It would seem your fellows have sold you out, pretty. Tell me what I need to know and perhaps I will spare the rest of the town,” he said, his voice a lustful growl. “Of course, it is far too late for you. You killed several of my men, which has earned much of my remaining ones a shot at that pretty body of yours.”

Daisy whimpered faintly in fear, her cheeks flushing red with embarassment and anger at the sound that she uttered uncontrollably. Someone in the still captive crowd laughed. A cruel thing, to be laughed at in such a state. Though she didn’t want to admit it to herself, she wished she’d simply fled.

“Do what you want to her and let us go!” someone in the crowd yelled. “We had nothing to do with these women!”

“I was trying to help you! God damn you people! God damn you!”

The commander laughed, a sick, wheezy thing that was undoubtedly the last thing many women had heard in their lives.

“Well, deary? Will you talk, or will we fuck and cut the information from you?”

Through a haze of tears, Daisy stood her ground, looking at the people who suddenly wanted her dead, when it seemed their own lives stood to gain. Humanity, she was realizing now more than ever, could be a terrible, unforgiving thing.

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

Filled with the ever present fear that death or worse were imminent, Daisy found it hard to focus her thoughts. The ridicule of people in her very same position only further served to muddle her thoughts. They blamed her for whatever the old man and Thursday may have done, simply because the other two were not there. Daisy knew nothing of where her lover was, and in that grave situation, it only served to make her feel even more hopeless. Thursday wasn’t there to save her this time.

“Clearly the townsfolk have abandoned you. Your friend has abandoned you. Simply tell us where we can find them and we will end it quick. I promise.”

“O-oh sure. Even though it wants a meal, I’ll trust the snake not to bite,” Daisy hissed, her quivering lips and tear-stained face betraying the confidence she sought to exhibit.

“We can do horrible things to you, girl. Ruin that pretty face, tear you apart. Make new holes for us to play with. Give me the answers I seek now or we will begin here, in front of these people who hate you so.”

“I don’t know where Thursday is, okay!? I haven’t seen her all day!” Daisy yelled. The people of Haven seemed disbelieving. Many of them actually booing at her, telling her to confess and do the right thing. But had she not? She was there, going to die because she tried to help them. She could lie, but it seemed it wouldn’t matter. Chances are they’d have their way with her before they went to the ruse. Luckily, they didn’t know how to kill her twice.

“You stupid girl! I’ve warned you, now I suppose it is time I make an example.”

The commander released her hair, allowing her a brief moment on the flats of her feet before suddenly grabbing her by the throat with his right hand. With his left, he does not hesitate, nor does he flinch as he grabs and tugs at her vest, ripping the tanned leather with ease and exposing her chest to all around. Her face reddened more from choking than embarassment, she fought against him, kicking angrily at his plated crotch and thighs but doing no damage.

“Perhaps this hole here is where we shall find purchase, hm?” he asked, plucking the eye patch Karl gave her from her head, and gasping suddenly at what he found, his hand even loosening upon her throat.

“Never seen a glass eye before?!” Daisy howled, unable to even settle on a single emotion anymore. “I’ll kill you! I’ll kill all of you! I’ll kill all of you!”

A strange hush formed over the crowd of restrained townsfolk. As the sun began to rise, filtering in through a smoke-filled sky, the light caught her false eye. Nobody but Daisy knew that the black, crystalline orb was in fact a vessel for her body, where it would heal and be remade upon her death and reformed whole when summoned with the other part to the puzzle, a piece that lay wrapped in a sack neatly in their room in the inn. Nobody in Haven knew this, but it was still a strange sight to them all.

“What sort of strange crystal is this, girl?” the commander asked, peering into it curiously.

“It’s magic! It’ll shoot fire into your face if you don’t step away!” Daisy rasped, her voice quickly tiring from it all. Amazingly, the man actually stepped back. The fear of magic that only time spent as a brute and thief would’ve earned him. No doubt he’d attempted to harm some frail person in his past and found himself tossed about like a rag doll. The distance and the fear did no good, however. Daisy was most certainly still at the mercy of the commander and his pillaging brigade, not to mention those citizens of Haven that so willingly gave her away. His hand back on her throat, the other unsheathed a black dagger at his hip, pulling the thing so that it was level with her eyes.

“I do not expect fire to shoot out at me when I gouge this free. However, I do expect to be paid quite handsomely for it!”

Daisy began shaking her head frantically, trying to avoid the act, as it would most certainly kill her and alert the people in town somewhat to her strange history. She stopped this quickly, however, as the prospects of what would happen if she lived to see what the Commander truly had in store for her seemed to outweigh that of dying. Her remaining eye open, she stood there, bare-chested and red faced and watching death approach, a fire burning in her soul that would never die.

Time seemed to freeze as the knife-point grew closer to her face. She felt the tip of the blade press to her upper cheek, but that is where it ceased. Briefly, Daisy wondered if that was it. The eye had been removed and she was dead. That was not the case. The man before her seemed frozen, his mouth wide with shock. Looking into his eyes, he stared at something beyond her, and something still, beyond that, something that horrified him to the very core of his being. The people in the town began to gasp and whimper in fear. Both citizens and bandits alike seemed stuck with terror where they stood. Daisy however could not see what it was that had come, but she felt it at her back. It reminded her of being topless by a lake, the sun heating your back and neck.

“Unhand my woman,” stated a voice that seemed unbearably loud in her mind, as if she was screaming to herself. The metal grip on Daisy’s neck slackened instantly, and she dropped to her knees, coughing. Looking up at the commander, a man who once seemed an imposing mass of cruelty and dark metal, she saw tears were streaming uncontrollably down his hairy face. Daisy spun quickly, unhesitant and unafraid of the presence that was at her back. The feminine yet featureless mass of arcane power that stood before her had its head tilted in her direction, looking at her with eyes that did not exist. Where the people of Haven and the army formed of Shadow’s men and mercenaries under the employment of the organizer of the Sinful Cellar were held fast by terror, Daisy embraced a warm, violet hued leg, her entire body tingling as she came into contact with the magical being. It was an amazing feeling, an invigorating one. If only her arms were not bound, she’d have hugged it.

Daisy looked at the commander, his grief-stricken expression eliciting a smile from her. She licked blood from her lips as she turned her eye to the townsfolk of Haven who stood or knelt in the streets staring at the powerful being before them, their captors doing the same. Free from the terror of near-death, Daisy’s emotions felt focused. Her gaze sought out Joyce and her daughters, whose voices she recognized as among those sentencing her to her grisly fate. They took her in, and just as quickly as that took, sold her out.

“Did any of them hurt you?” the supreme creature asked her, the voice that echoed in her mind distinctly that of the woman she loved, coming at last to save her. Her heart hardened, Daisy’s gaze swept over all that was before her, taking it in with disdain No place was perfect. Especially not for them.

“They put the fear of rape in me. That man was to cut out my eye… these people used me as the lamb to their sacrifice. I ended up in this position because of them! I tried to help them survive and they wanted to see me get fucked to death in the streets!”

“What will you have me do?” it asked her, the voice sounding angry, the power in the being yearning to be unleashed. Daisy grinned.

“Get rid of them. Get rid of them all.”
    Last edited by Thursday; 06-02-08 at 05:35 AM.

GP

Name
    Thursday
    Race
    Homunculus
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Gray
    Build
    6'1", 160 lbs.
    Job
    Miscellaneous

It was, oddly enough, the soothing white noise of a steady downpour that roused Thursday from a slumber filled with blood and screams. Bundled beneath a dull green blanket, her grey eyes fluttered open slowly, taking in a plain wood roof above her head. Looking immediately toward the sound of the storm, Thursday was surprised to find that most of the wall of her current dwelling was missing. As if a bite had been torn from Karl’s Inn, the floor near what used to be a wall ended in splintering planks that let one view the downstairs tavern area, which had a pool of water forming at its bottom. Karl’s blood had been washed away, it seemed.

Looking around the room, Thursday merely took in the surroundings. The gaping wound in the building’s side let enough of the cloud-hindered light into the room to illuminate that she was entirely alone. There was no sign of life at all save for herself.

“Daisy?” she asked, her voice a hoarse rasp. Slowly and dizzily, she rose, drawing the blanket around her naked form and shuffling toward the empty space where her wall once was. Nearest to the gap without the floor feeling unsteady, she reached her white hands out to collect water in them and drink frantically. Having sated her thirst, she looked out into the parts of the town she could see from her vantage. Other buildings seemed to be in similar disrepair. Trying to recollect what happened merely frustrated her and gave her a headache. Everything seemed to stop when Ultima died quite literally at her hand.

With a low creak, the door to the room opened, and a familiar, shaggy-haired figure walked in, shaking rain from her curly brown locks. She had a sack slung over her shoulder, which she tossed to the ground lazily as she saw the figure standing before her.

“Oh, Thursday…” she managed to whimper happily as she crossed the room swiftly and took her into her arms. The grip was astonishingly powerful, almost desperate. Though still in some shock at the situation, the homunculus squeezed her back, truly happy to see her.

“What… happened here?”

“Gods, I thought you’d never wake up,” Daisy said, joyously wrong in her assumption. She continued holding her tight, long after Thursday had let her arms fall back to her sides.

“Daisy. What happened? I try to piece it together in my head and all I can get are… screams and flashes.”

Finally releasing her, the woman stepped back, her gaze to the floor as she seemed troubled finding the words.

“They’re gone.”

Narrowing her eyes, Thursday clenched her teeth, angered by the vague response.”

“Gone?! Tell me what happened, damn it!”

“They were going to kill me,” Daisy stated, her voice a fragile shake. “The townspeople… they- they offered me up like a token to pay off the men who attacked us!”

“And I saved the day, didn’t I?” Thursday asked bitterly. “What had I become? I remember feeling so overwhelmed with magic. I felt like I was going to explode.”

Daisy looked at Thursday with a tinge of fear on her face and in her glassy blue eye, her hands wringing before her nervously.

“You showed up looking as you are now, but you had no real form or shape. You looked almost like a… like a spell that had gained a life of its own. Purples and blues and swirling colors… it was amazing. You were strangely beautiful.”

“I got rid of them all, hm?” Thursday stated, grinning ruefully. “I can still hear your sweet voice, twisted with rage and fear.”

Blushing with what appeared to be shame, Daisy looked at the gap in the building, focusing on the falling rain. With a gentle touch, Thursday’s right hand reached up to caress her soft cheek.

“It broke my cold heart, my love. I do not regret anything I have done to keep you safe.”

Blinking rapidly, Daisy gave a faint smile as she bit at her lower lip, unable to keep a hand from wiping at her visible eye to hide the tears.

“However, I’m afraid I’ve broken my promise to you.”

Laughing softly, Daisy simply looked at the tall homunculus with a longing gaze, realizing only at that moment what she truly had in Thursday, and also the potential within her. To try and force her to settle down now would be unfair to them both. Being unaware that both she and her lover were impervious to the ravages of time, she began to feel it was foolish to want to spend her youth in one spot. Better to help Thursday with her journey than to serve food the rest of her days. She knew she was still a rogue at heart. The thought of the types of bounty they could salvage from the now emptied Haven and on their journey would most likely leave them with enough to live fat and happy when they finally did decide to settle down. If they were alive.

“It was a stupid thing to try and make you do,” Daisy said softly in reply, stepping over to the bed and sitting upon it with a sigh. “I think it’s time for us to move on.”

Thursday turned, watching the storm outside of the partially demolished building. Haven was lost, nothing left that could be done for it now. Most likely due to the sudden and untraceable disappearance of everybody in the town, it’d be regarded as haunted or cursed. Perhaps she’d created a future legend. She found it best to try and look on the brighter side of the situation, rather than dwelling on the lives lost.

“I agree. Where’s the big stone?”

“Under the bed. Oh, here…”

Daisy grabbed the sack she had brought in with her, opening it swiftly to pull out a series of black garments from inside.

“I found these… kind of tore ‘em up to make ‘em fit your style.”

“I wasn’t aware what I wore was called a style, but thank you,” Thursday said, grabbing the clothes from the bed. The soft leather pants were nice. Nicer than those she’d had previously, and cut to end part-way down her thighs, even if the cut was a little ugly. The top, a fine leather vest, was a bit more clothing than she was used to wearing, but fit well when tied at her breastbone, the loose strings tucked inside.

“There’s shoes, too… no hooks though.”

Smiling, Thursday grabbed the short boots and slid them on, nodding her head as she wriggled her toes inside of them.

“Well padded. You’ve done really good, Daisy,” she said appreciatively, grabbing the last, and admittedly most looked forward to piece of the cloth pile.

“Oh, that. Yeah, it’s like your old one, but it ties at the neck, so…”

“I’ll miss my bat pin,” the homunculus said as she slid the cloak over her broad shoulders and tied it at her collarbone.

Her eye filled with a sort of sadness, Daisy looked at her admiringly; feeling guilty that she was almost happy when so much horror had been dealt to the town in which they dwelled.

“You’re amazing, Thursday. You saved my life,” she nearly whispered, her gaze heading toward the floor. With a soft sigh, her partner stepped forward, cradling the shaggy brown head in her hands against her chest. For a long while, they sat in that silence, a mutual comfort shared between them in the presence of one another.

“It’s the least I could do,” Thursday told her, thinking hard about the torture she had inflicted upon her in a previous life. A cruelty she hadn’t since exhibited on any other person, and one she had yet to explain to her still.

“While you were unconscious still… some things happened,” Daisy spoke softly, sounding almost afraid. “Men came to the town looking for you. They saw it empty and left without much of a search, thankfully, but they got Melo by his house…”

“That’s… hm. A problem. Did you see where they went?”

“I followed the trail after they had long since left. Took me to what looked like a fort. Archers and little buildings and everything.”

“Probably bought it from some noble,” Thursday assumed, grinding her teeth faintly as she thought about the situation. “I am not normally one for blatant heroics, but I feel I should get him out of there. After everything we’ve been through together, it’s only fair.”

“Wasn’t it his fault those people came?” Daisy asked, her tone turning angry.

“Somewhat. But you know who’s fault it really is? The man who sent the brigands, as well as the man who sold this town - and Melo - out.”

“Don’t you have ‘Tim’ to worry about, as well?”

Thursday’s lips curled into a cruel smile as she simply ran her hands through Daisy’s hair.

“Ultima went down rather quietly. I ’m assuming that our path to find my fa- creator will be relatively clearer now. But more importantly, my love. Tell me about this fort…”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast