Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Illicit Entrepreneur

View Profile

Round Three: (2) Sons of Terrinore v (26) Infinity

Round three begins Thursday at 12 AM EST. Good Luck!

Congratulations, rather than having a bye this round, you will have to fight a special challenger. Sons of Terrinore will post their introductions first and then Infinity will follow. This is to be judged like a regular tournament battle. Inactivity could lead to disqualification. Have fun!

Administrator
    EXP: 81,363, Level: 12
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 8,637
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,637
    GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Illicit Entrepreneur

View Profile
    The afternoon sun had set behind the Lotho Mountains, casting a red shadow upon the Monolith Clearing. The Monolith Clearing was a spectacle of nature: a large patch of grass that was nestled in the center of Lornius’ thickest forest. It was said to be the birthplace of the Lornian gods – the holiest of holy places. The clearing’s location relative to the highest peaks of the Lotho Mountain range gave the area a prolonged sunset. Religion aside, it truly was one of the most breathtaking places on the island. Soldiers had avoided the clearing during the civil war because of its religious ties, leaving it virtually untouched by conflict. Only one battle had taken place there in the past ten years…

Max Dirks treaded carefully through the tall grass in route to the clearing’s large amphitheater. It was here, just over a year ago, where his current predicament had begun. Thoracis was just a puppet then: an over-confident general who only sought recognition for his achievements. The legendary assassin, Mazrith al' Dor Hashid, twisted Thoracis’ desires and lured him into a plot that would have left both Dirks and the ice mage dead – if Dirks hadn’t intervened. Physical evidence of the battle – the blood, the lost weapons, the shattered bones – had faded away by the passage of time, but its memory lived on as both hatred and fear in Thoracis’ heart.

“It’s funny,” Dirks finally said to Thoracis, “nothing seems to care about what happened but us.” But even Dirks’ interest in the ordeal was beginning to wane. The idea of returning to Starlynn as a champion struck a cord in the former criminal’s soul. His battles were becoming less about his past with Thoracis and more about his future in the Lornius Corporate Challenge. The Sons of Terrinore had literally waltzed to the third round of the tournament, leaving Dirks with little to mend his battered spirit. He wanted to win – not only for Starlynn, but for himself as well, but he did not want to win freely.

Dirks proceeded down into the amphitheater. The stones that once provided theater seating for the stage had worn. Many were cracked and others were just plain missing. Long ago, Lornians prayed for direction at the amphitheater. It was said that ‘obelisk’ at the center of the stage – for which the clearing was named – carried the prayers to the heavens. Dirks continued down into the pit until he arrived at the stage. He climbed up and then turned back to Thoracis, his trench coat fluttered in the light wind. “You know,” he said, “I never really told you the reason why I shot you...”

Sons of Terrinore
    EXP: 34,727, Level: 7
    Level completed: 97%, EXP required for next level: 273
    Level completed: 97%,
    EXP required for next level: 273
    GP

Name
    Thoracis Rakarth
    Race
    Human... mostly.
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Solid Ice
    Build
    5'9"/176lbs.
    Job
    Exile

The rumblings were growing louder and louder. All across Althanas the rumors spread that the Sons of Terrinore had manipulated the tournament officials, putting themselves in a position in which they wouldn’t face a battle until the end. Speculation began with the conclusion of the first round, after which it became known Thoracis and Max Dirks would compete together. At Piston’s Pleasure Palace, on Dirks’ friend's island of all places, they said the partnership was a plot by Dirks from the beginning. From the Bottomless Pit in Ettermire they gasped at Thoracis’ audacity in using the Prince of Kachuk as a pawn in their silly game. In Lyridia gold by the thousands was being taken off of bets on the Sons of Terrinore as the gamblers became convinced they would soon be disqualified. After the second round they whispered to each other how “convenient” it was that their opponents did not arrive to fight. Now the entire tournament was shrouded by a cloud of controversy. All the while nobody thought to realize that Thoracis was simply using Dirks to finally get into the finals where he knew he could win it on his own.

It wasn’t likely to get any better following this round. The third round of the Lornius Corporate Challenge was traditionally a round in which two of the favored teams fought against surprise teams that the tournament directors formed for the sole purpose of testing those who were supposed to make the finals. The fact that the Sons of Terrinore drew one of these matches would not go unnoticed, especially since this was the second consecutive year Thoracis had drawn the match. It was this very round one year ago that lead to the current hostility between Thoracis and Dirks. It hadn’t even been Dirks and Mazrith that Thoracis and Azrael were supposed to fight. Mazrith had killed the real Untouchables. Their true intentions were unknown, even to this day, but regardless of the reasons, the fact remained that Dirks had shot Thoracis.

All this made it no surprise to the former general that the Monolith Clearing was where this battle was to take place. He had known where they were going the instant they left the Lotho Gorge. The fact that they would battle at the very spot they had fought just a year earlier made even Thoracis wonder if Dirks had pulled some strings to make it happen.

Everything looked exactly how it had save for the grass surrounding the amphitheatre being a tad longer. The forest surrounding the area was pristine as ever and the oncoming dusk illuminated the worn down stone seats with a red tinge that gave a magical quality to this holiest of Lornian grounds. Of course, none of that mattered to Thoracis. He was here only to win and move one step closer to his long overdue title.

As they neared the ancient place of worship Dirks finally broke the silence that had accompanied most of their journey. He was right, nothing about this place even gave a hint of what had happened here. If only the same could be said about the rest of Althanas. But like Dirks, that incident was not what troubled Thoracis the most. It was the speculators and the naysayers, the fervent storm of word of mouth that was trying to pin Dirks, and by association Thoracis, as the cheat and the criminal that he was. Thoracis had come to peace with Dirks over the gunshot. He knew he had caused the criminal as much, if not more, pain then he had suffered. Starlynn was safe and they would be reacquainted. Thoracis ultimately lived trough the shot and would soon have his tournament victory. Now his immediate mission was to prove everyone wrong. He was going to pummel everyone in his path now, leaving no doubt in anyone’s mind that him and Dirks deserved what they were fighting for.

“I don’t really care why you shot me,” Thoracis lied. He may have come to terms with the incident itself, but not with Dirks, and the question of why it had happened lingered with Thoracis and tore at the back of his mind and he hated Dirks because of it. He was sure that in his own mind Dirks thought he was entirely justified in having squeezed the trigger, but he was also sure that those reasons were based on misconception. “What’s done is done. We’ve both performed deeds we probably shouldn’t have. We can right those wrongs over the next three rounds.” He was honest in that assessment but he still desperately wanted to know why. Or at least he thought he did. The truth was likely worse then his imagination in this case and aside from that he would not give Dirks the satisfaction of asking.

Thoracis pulled the hood of his robe back, stretching his arms and flexing his back muscles. His icy grip tightened around his liviol staff as he mentally prepared himself for battle against opponents yet unknown. “All I care about now is winning this tournament and shutting everyone up.”
    Last edited by Thoracis; 06-20-06 at 01:36 PM.
    Sons of Terrinore - LCC Champions

All time battle record: 48-23-4

I owe Google a sexual favor!

The Return -- Gisela Forces

EXP: 27,234, Level: 7
    Level completed: 3%, EXP required for next level: 7,766
    Level completed: 3%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,766
    GP

Name
    Arawn ~ Hikari no Ashigaru ~ Legol Darkweaver
    Race
    Dark Elven Vampire
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    6'10'' / 160 lbs
    Job
    Assassin

As the sun rose over the Lornian grounds, one creature greeted it most graciously. As the rays warmed his pale skin, small wisps of white smoke rose to the air, quickly dispersed by what little wind there was. His chest was covered by a leather vest while his forearms and legs were likewise braced with leather garb. This individual was kneeling in the tall grass, hands over thighs in a meditative salutation to the new day. In the grass before him, shimmering in the pristine daylight, was his single most valued possession, a black diamond sword. The smoke rising from his form was something he had become accustomed to, a byproduct of nights spent in depravation of luminescence. He breathed in the dawn’s beams and felt his body energized to new heights. This day, he knew, would not be uneventful.

Finishing his custom, the dark elf slowly got to his feet, grasping his coveted falchion with a firm grip. At his touch, the dark blade of the weapon was instantly aglow, radiating an incandescent aura. With the assertion that came of several years’ practice, he ran his free left hand’s index finger along the Jinkourai’s sharp edge. Small balls of solid white began to jump from the falchion, as if trying to catch the rogue finger in its trajectory. When it reached the sword’s tip, the white warrior pulled it away, allowing a single orb to remain on his finger. Flicking it, the glowing orb was shot away from the dark elf. He saw it pause in midair some feet away and return to float inches from his face. Willing it to do further, the orb grew until it was the size of a fist. Then, after another slight pause, he began to mold the orb into different shapes with his mind, practicing for the upcoming encounter.

“A special challenger…” Hikari no Ashigaru thought to himself as he formed first a white cylinder and then a cone.

He had been engaged to participate in the Lornius Corporate Challenge as a surprise obstacle for one of the tournament’s teams that had, as it appeared to the rest of Althanas, reaped an easier path than most to the final battle. The white warrior was offered monetary compensation, which he had declined. He would not do battle for wealth. Truth be told, he was not joining for recognition either, or he would have joined the contest with the teammate of his choice at its beginnings. Before, he had been known to do combat in such prearranged conditions to test himself against other renowned beings. Still, this was not true of the day’s events. His pursuit was purer and of a much more self-seeking variety than was common for the light mage. Someone had offered him what he most wanted at the moment, information.

To Hikari no Ashigaru,

I trust this letter finds you in control of yourself with, let’s call him your dark little secret, at bay? I would imagine you are curious as to how I know of him and why I chose to contact you in such a fashion. It suffices to say that I am one who is interested in your continued dominance over your more savage side. I know more of the workings within you than perhaps you are even savvy to. I’m willing to part with some of this knowledge, but you must first do something for me.

You are, I believe, familiar with the scoundrel Max Dirks. It is not a secret to anyone that he has several enemies in high places. I suppose I might be counted among them. I have learned that you will be recruited to fight his team in the LCC. I want you to embarrass the man in combat. Should I deem his humiliation befitting of your reputation, I will contact you further. If not, then you can go on about your existence, if you can call your present circumstances such.

Cheers,

~ R.
    It had been as the note said. Only a few hours after its receipt, the white warrior was contracted for the celebrated team tournament. The white shape before him shifted into a dagger as his thoughts turned to whoever had contacted him. He was not fond of being manipulated for others’ ends. Yet, his choices were just as the letter had stated them. He could go along with this monogram’s machinations or choose to go on with his life, which of late had been naught but a fruitless search for a better understanding of what was happening to him. The invasion of vampiric taint was taking a unique turn in the light mage’s body, forcing splits in personalities and abrupt shifts in moods. His own powers already a mystery to him, Hikari was unsure of what to make of these developments. With his face set in a grimace, the dark elf finally vanished the formless energy he had been sculpting, which had lost discernable shape when his concentration ebbed, and lowered his imposing weapon.

“Enough practice,” he spoke to the crisp morning air in frustration.

~*~*~*~*~

As Hikari no Ashigaru caught sight of the amphitheater that would be the match’s battleground, only one thing differed from his form earlier that day. He now sported a black cloak with dark runes upon it. If Jinkourai Ittou was his most precious possession, his vlince cloak was a close second. Of his powers, he knew only that they had some connection with this garment. It was the only keepsake left to the drow of his former home. It belonged to the one who had fashioned the curse now upon him. True, he could use light to great effect in turning the tide of confrontations in his favor, but he also hungered for it incessantly. The need to understand it before was not pressing, but his undead taint had managed to change that rather drastically. He was given renewed incentive to find out what he could of the curse. This was why he began searching the libraries of Althanas for word of similar antecedents. This was why he did not burn the letter bribing him with unsubstantiated promises. This was why he slowly made his way to the Monolith Clearing.
    Last edited by Arawn; 06-19-06 at 05:41 AM.
    "I've learned just enough now to know I was a fool to think myself wise."

Current Threads ~ Participants
    Reflections ~ Solo

(We vets are here to help. Send me a PM if you have any doubts I can help you with.)

EXP: 16,848, Level: 5
    Level completed: 48%, EXP required for next level: 3,152
    Level completed: 48%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,152
    GP

Name
    Elrundir Galadhrim
    Race
    Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Black with blue flecks

The Lornius Corporation Challenge... it was a name Elrundir thought he would never hear again.

For the past year or two, Elrundir Galadhrim's very soul had been in conflict. He had all but removed himself entirely from the world, sinking into its shadowy nooks and cutting off all contact with those he once knew. It was a safety measure, he convinced himself at first. A darkness had rooted itself deeply within his heart, and he was unsure if he was capable of effectively controlling it. By relinquishing himself to the shadows, he knew that the darkness would not be able to spread, and he could give himself the time to conquer that darkness. Succumbing to it was not a path he was prepared to follow - not willingly. If nothing else, he swore that the poison would have to drag him down its hole with all its might in order to emerge triumphant.

So far, it had succeeded.

Elrundir knew not what this darkness was, but he remembered well the day it entered his life. A tree in one of the forests of Raiaera became tainted with a strange darkness, and Findelfin enlisted Elrundir's help to purify it. Of course Elrundir decided to help - Raiaera had been his home for centuries and he would not allow anything like this to darken its doors, especially not on the heels of the fight with the Forgotten Ones. It could have been a sign of their return, or a lingering pulse of their power. Either could result in terrible omens for the well-being of Raiaera.

So, Elrundir and Findelfin worked together to purify the taint. Elrundir unleashed the very essence of his soul to drive it away and banish it, but he made a grave miscalculation: he had not counted on the taint being sentient, and capable of working its way into the hole left behind. It lodged itself deep within him and festered, exerting its pull on what was left of his essence. Gradually, he became less and less himself, and more and more something... else. Something darker. Something he didn't understand, but that understood him very well.

When he realized that this taint was not something he could fight off easily, he went into seclusion. Elrundir thought - hoped - that he would not be found... but fate intervened. Her name was Talia, a powerful shadow mage who had been asked by the Lornius Corporation to find him and enlist him as one of the guest competitors for the competition. Never, Elrundir thought to himself. Now is not the time for fighting! He had problems far larger than the entertainment of the masses. Neither money nor glory could possibly compare to the purification of his soul!

But the taint had other ideas.

Driven by a thirst for destruction, Elrundir found his body agreeing to the proposition, and before he could stop it, it was shifting out of the shadow realm with Talia and following her to the battle ground. What little purity remained in his soul sat in the backseat while the very evil he had worked so hard to contain was let out in a single blaze of darkness.

A cardinal with feathers a darker red than blood flew over the Monolith Clearing in a wide circle, casting her dark eyes down over the scenery. People had gathered, she noted; the other competitors. If birds could grin, she would right then, for indeed she recognized them and knew that her master would as well. Sweeping around the clearing once more, the cardinal descended towards the forest's edge.

"Rouge, my darling," a voice uttered quietly as she approached. The figure from which it came extended a hand, and Rouge alighted upon it with a flutter of her blood-red wings. "They are here... I see." Mostly shrouded in darkness, a grin came to the man's face, as dark as his voice.

Suddenly, his body was engulfed in shadows and began to melt into the tree. It became a nearly formless mass, looking more like a great, flat, black snake than anything else as it slithered in a wide spiral down the tree's trunk. Rouge fluttered along obediently, keeping the shadow in her line of sight and following it as a pet follows its master - and yet she was much more than a pet. Much more indeed.

Once on the ground, the shadow assumed its original form once more, revealing a man who could now be more clearly seen in the red shadows of the Monolith Clearing. "Ah... the land of Althanas." Rouge swooped down from above and landed on the sapphire head of Elrundir's mythril staff. He looked over to her and stroked her stomach with a single gloved finger from his other hand. "It has been entirely too long, my dearest, has it not?" Rouge chirped her agreement in a sound that seemed entirely too sweet for a creature of darkness such as she.

"It is good to be... home." Unable to resist, Elrundir let out a dark laugh of amusement.

Administrator
    GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Illicit Entrepreneur

View Profile
    “So be it,” Dirks mumbled in response to Thoracis’ lies. The ice mage’s grudge was just as thick as Dirks’. If Thoracis truly believed that justice was issued then he would have left Dirks to Starlynn after the first round. The struggle had now carried onto the third round, leaving heavy doubts in Dirks’ mind. It was not an epiphany that kept their grudges at bay; it was their growing mutual interest in winning the tournament. However, Dirks knew that only teams – not individuals – win the Lornius Corporate Challenge and the Sons of Terrinore were anything but that.

Dirks pushed his thoughts away and then looked to the sky. A few night clouds had rolled onto the horizon, but they had not yet threatened the clearing’s prolonged sunset. Dirks stared at the spectacle until a red block appeared when he blinked. He closed his eyes until the block went away. When he reopened them, the clearing had changed. The light breeze had stopped blowing and the sounds of the forest ceased. No leaves swayed, no animals romped, and no birds sang. A small chill ran down Dirks’ spine as he looked around for anything peculiar that might have caused the abrupt change.

Then he saw it: high above the clearing a single blood-red bird circled the area and then disappeared into the forest. It was once common for warriors of old to own familiars – pets with remarkable ability and loyalty to their owners. Consistent with the theme of this ‘special’ round, Dirks considered the bird a good sign that their opponents had arrived and the battle had commenced. In response, Dirks removed his trench coat revealing his full arsenal. Both signaturized Beretta 950s were safely nestled in their chest holsters and the hilts of his twin prevalida katanas were visible from behind his shoulders. His white tunic was ruffled, and his khaki pants were slightly wrinkled from the trip, but otherwise he looked the part of the tournament favorite.

Dirks set his down coat on the stage and spoke to Thoracis, “Come on. They’re here…”

Sons of Terrinore
    EXP: 34,727, Level: 7
    Level completed: 97%, EXP required for next level: 273
    Level completed: 97%,
    EXP required for next level: 273
    GP

Name
    Thoracis Rakarth
    Race
    Human... mostly.
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Solid Ice
    Build
    5'9"/176lbs.
    Job
    Exile

“Come on. They’re here.” Dirks sounded so calm.

Thoracis couldn’t move. His eyes had followed along with Dirks as the out of place cardinal circled above the stage. But where Dirks lost sight of the bird Thoracis had continued to track the familiar as it came to rest atop a sapphire tipped, mythril staff. Out of the shadows the figure appeared from nowhere.

It couldn’t be. Of all the people…

“Elrundir Galadhrim.” He was shocked and the words just sort of fell from his mouth. His focus shifted briefly to Dirks, whom he knew had to be responsible for this. There was maybe one true mage in all of Althanas who commanded more fear and respect then Thoracis Rakarth and that was Elrundir Galadhrim. Elrundir, who had been missing since shortly after the Battle of Valinatal and the showdown with the Forgotten Ones in Eluriand, conveniently resurfacing now? In the LCC? Against Thoracis? Given the current predicament between the partners this had Dirks written all over it. And to think he had just been starting to believe that perhaps they could do this thing together.

Thoracis walked down to the stage and up onto it. “I hope you don’t really think it will be this easy to get rid of me,” he snarled as he passed the criminal. The ice mage stalked across the stage towards Elrundir who was laughing amongst the shadows. The dimming light cast its red glow on Thoracis as well, his icy left arm appeared almost on fire and his eyes were red orbs of anger beneath his black porcelain mask. “I never thought this day would come,” Thoracis spit to the opposing mage. The closer he moved towards Elrundir the more he became aware of the immense magical power in the area. The anti-magic amulet he wore around his neck began to chill and his liviol staff took a slightly brighter glow. All across his torso he could feel the tinge of power as it radiated through his highly enchanted dehlar chainmail. This was going to be unlike any challenge Thoracis had ever faced.

He finally came upon the opposite edge of the stage, closest to his opponent. “I’d hope you did not come here alone to face me Elrundir Galadhrim; 'less you’re in a hurry to be forced back into hiding.” Thoracis turned to his side to keep both Elrundir and Dirks in view. He could not make his move yet. He could sense magic beyond that of his and Elrundir’s, he just couldn’t tell where it was yet. If he engaged too soon there was no telling what other surprises might pop out of the woods.

So he stood, waiting for the first move to happen, stuck between old nemesis and new, with yet another lurking somewhere unseen. One more battle to win on my own…
    Last edited by Thoracis; 06-23-06 at 06:17 PM.
    Sons of Terrinore - LCC Champions

All time battle record: 48-23-4

I owe Google a sexual favor!

The Return -- Gisela Forces

EXP: 27,234, Level: 7
    Level completed: 3%, EXP required for next level: 7,766
    Level completed: 3%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,766
    GP

Name
    Arawn ~ Hikari no Ashigaru ~ Legol Darkweaver
    Race
    Dark Elven Vampire
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    6'10'' / 160 lbs
    Job
    Assassin

The white warrior shadowy eyes surveyed the amphitheater from a distance with falchion in pale grip. There was an abrupt silencing of the grounds’ surroundings, the calm before a great storm. Hikari’s eyes were first drawn to Thoracis Rakarth. This, surely, was to be the dark elf’s other adversary. He had never been personally acquainted with the famed mage, but the dark mask and frozen limb made him unmistakable from any sort of lineup. Hikari knew they had both once been leaders of the Black Hand, a conglomerate of Althanas’ greatest warriors, but both had passed the torch to others after short-lived captaincies. It was Thoracis who had passed the torch to the pale drow by way of a letter so long ago. Other than that, they had no prior interaction. Hikari knew the humanoid to be a potent individual with great deeds to his name, but their relationship was akin to that of a casual fanatic and his icon. His presence would not make the dark elf’s task any simpler.

The second creature Hikari observed was Max Dirks, his principle quarry in the orange-tinged arena. They had a somewhat more direct history. The infamous criminal had been the one who recruited the light mage for Malice’s ranks in its dealings with the Grey Braves at the Magi Tower. Hikari had not brought himself to speak with the man since, being more than somewhat bitter for the events that took place on that fateful battleground. It was then and there that Hikari’s very being had ruptured. Overwhelmed by the ubiquitous violence around him, his vampiric half had torn free of Hikari’s dominance and proceeded to lay waist to the enemy, which fell like so much nameless fodder before his bloodlust. Since then struggling with his very soul, the white warrior placed blame, at least partially, on the one who had summoned him to that site. This was perhaps unjustified, but there was nevertheless no love loss between them. This was just as well, in light of the circumstances.

“And that must be my partner now.”

The third to arrive at the scene was completely unknown to Hikari, but he correctly assumed it to be his ally for the mêlée. His influx was quite unexpected to the dark elf, the well-built form emerging from a shapeless shadow. This was at least a good omen of the elf’s capabilities, but one could never be sure. As Thoracis addressed his opponent, the fourth combatant thought it high time for him to make his entrance.

With Jinkourai Ittou brightly aglow and satiating its master’s thirst, the dark elf manifested a thin, wide disk of light less than a foot above the ground before him. With a sure step, he mounted the provisional platform and felt it move quickly beneath his feet, carrying him toward the amphitheater over the tall grass. Reaching the back rows, the hovering dais swiftly descended the steps toward the stage now accommodating Hikari’s enemies and sole ally. He soon came to float mere inches over it and disembarked, his means of transportation vanishing as he did so. The very air felt tense to Hikari now that he was so near the others, no longer an idle spectator examining them from a remote vantage point. His pulse quickened as droplets of sweat began to form within his grasp. A small nod to his comrade was all he spared the elf in apprehensive expectance of the butterfly whose batting wings would usher forth the impending hurricane.
    "I've learned just enough now to know I was a fool to think myself wise."

Current Threads ~ Participants
    Reflections ~ Solo

(We vets are here to help. Send me a PM if you have any doubts I can help you with.)

EXP: 16,848, Level: 5
    Level completed: 48%, EXP required for next level: 3,152
    Level completed: 48%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,152
    GP

Name
    Elrundir Galadhrim
    Race
    Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Black with blue flecks

Elrundir's grin didn't leave his face as he watched Dirks and Thoracis finally notice his presence. In fact, if anything, the grin widened. Oh, how sweet it would be, to destroy them... or to be destroyed by them. The taint within him - now dominant - didn't care. It was the sort of evil that wished for everything to come to nothing, and it was not so naive as to believe that it would not be destroyed as well in the process. Besides, what would it lose? A fragment of its true self, and the pitiable host in which it was implanted.

All of the elf's memories remained within him, even with this new being taking control. As Thoracis approached, Elrundir curled his upper lip in an amused sneer, and bowed low. I doubt you could imagine a more disgustingly-proper bow bordering on mockery.

"Lord General Thoracis," the dark voice spoke, dripping with venom that the Elrundir known to Thoracis never possessed. He was always arrogant, but... he was different than this. When Thoracis revealed that he did indeed remember Elrundir's name, he laughed again darkly. "Elrundir... a name with which I am all too familiar." The elf's eyes trailed upwards, looking just above and to the right of Thoracis and the others, as if directing his attention to the thin air itself. "Isn't that right, Elrundir?" Within him, although the others would never sense it, Elrundir's original self struggled at the provocation, but in vain. The taint could feel it, though. It was the futile effort of a fly to escape the web of a masterful spider.

Elrundir ushered another laugh and shook his head at Thoracis' words. "You think too highly of yourself," the elf said with dark amusement. "What makes you think I'll be retreating again? I rather like this body... I think I'd very much enjoy keeping it." However, an amusing thought entered his mind, which caused Elrundir to grin widely. "Or will you destroy me?" The taint didn't seem to care what happened to this body. Perhaps it would not be so easily destroyed - after all, not even the strongest songs of Turlin could eradicate it. This body was nothing more than a convenient vessel with a reputation its new tenant could truly build upon.

Elrundir's eyes flickered as Hikari entered the scene, riding a disk of energy. If not for the fact that he was briefed slightly on the situation beforehand, he might have thought that the newcomer was his opponent - after all, Thoracis and Max were in no way acting like comrades. However, he liked their present situation all the more now that he was immersed in it. Dissention just made things all the more interesting. Elrundir inclined his head to the newcomer, a motion that was slow and difficult to read. He could see something there, though... something that piqued his interest. What a fortunate partner had been chosen for him.

The elf remained in silence for a long moment, though. At length, he looked up towards the sky, and smiled as he took in a deep breath. "Beautiful, isn't it?" He gestured with his left hand towards their surroundings, bathed in the red glow of the sunset. "A sea of blood on the border of total darkness..."

The dark grin surfaced once again.

((Just a quick edit to the end of the second-last paragraph, when he notices Hikari, because I felt like adding it. <.<))
    Last edited by Elrundir; 06-21-06 at 01:26 AM.

Administrator
    GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Illicit Entrepreneur

View Profile
    Dirks glared at Thoracis when he passed. Did the ice mage really believe Dirks was responsible for this pairing when he hadn’t left the general's sight since he joined the tournament? Petty animosity like this had cost Thoracis the past two tournaments and it certainly seemed likely for history to repeat itself. Dirks shook his head then turned his attention to the elf that had 'manifested' opposite of the stage.

Elrundir Galadhrim. Dirks did not know the grand mage personally, but was not ignorant to his legendary tale. Elrundir freed Raiaera from the taint only to vanish shortly thereafter. There were numerous rumors about the nature of Elrundir’s disappearance, but Dirks had never taken the time to hear them. But this ‘reincarnated’ Elrundir Galadhrim could not the hero of light Dirks had learned about. There was something—dark—about the elf’s demeanor. His speech was unnatural and his actions irregular. Had the elf fallen victim to the plague he fought to destroy?

Dirks did not have much time to ponder. Moments later, the second challenger entered the fray by riding down into the amphitheater on a disk of light. Dirks recognized this opponent immediately. Hikari no Ashigaru. He was another elf that Dirks knew to have a dark side. Dirks had witnessed Hikari slaughter the remainder of the Gray Braves after the Magi Tower had fallen in the most recent clan war. He’d seen the elf murder innocents when the duo attempted to escape the wrath of the Archon in Radasanth. The tournament officials certainly did not fail to achieve a strange irony in their selection of these ‘special’ opponents this season. All four warriors were connected in some way.

Dirks watched as Hikari set down on the stage, but unlike Thoracis to Elrundir, Dirks said nothing. He had no need for an introduction—or a reason. It was a battle, they were expected to fight.

Typically Dirks would attack first to set the pace and direction of the battle, but the combined magical aptitude of Thoracis, Elrundir and Hikari could turn Althanas off its axis. Dirks decided it was in his best interest to stay as close as possible to Thoracis with hope that the range of the ice mage’s anti-magic amulet was large enough to encompass both warriors. As Dirks inched towards Thoracis, he whispered a small warning. “You won’t win on your own.” But the warning came too late: the ice mage was already on the move. Dirks swore.

(Slight bunny of Thoracis at the end was approved)
    Last edited by Max Dirks; 06-21-06 at 11:22 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast