Eye Color
    Cobalt
    Build
    3'10" 74 lbs
    Job
    N/A

Lost and found

((Closed))

Into the fog shrouded street a small girl stepped. For a long moment she huddled in the doorway of the shop she had just exited and stared out at the street in muted fascination. The fog distorted sound and images alike, giving everything a surreal dream like quality. Vaguely the girl wished that time would suddenly speed up and the mid-day sun would burn away the early morning fog.

Hugging her doll Lieka closer to her, she stepped out into the street, her hand clutching the precious piece of paper as if it were a lifeline. I just have to find everything the pretty Lady wrote down, and then no one will be afraid of me anymore. Spurred on by the hopes and promise of avoiding negative emotions aimed at her, she hurried onwards.

“Lieka, the Lady wrote down a lot of stuff on the paper for me. Do you think I need a pack?” The girl whispered to her doll. Her hands loosened their death grip on the doll as it twisted bonelessly in her grasp to look up at her. After a long moment it nodded its tiny, perfect head at her and twisted back to its original position. Beneath the waist-length, dark red spill of hair that often hid her from the world, she nibbled nervously on her lower lip at the thought of talking to another adult today. Perhaps, perhaps the next one will be like the Lady and will be nice. But, where could I get a pack?

For a moment she panicked and looked about. Around her there were homes and shops, but no open stalls that aired its wares to viewers. Stricken, she clutched Lieka tighter as her eyes darted around and then to the people that hurried on their own morning errands. Unnoticed, a dark shape loomed up on her left and swiftly resolved into a towering figure. The impact with the ground tore a soft bird-like cry from her. She looked up through the red haze of hair that covered her face and saw a person unlike any she had ever seen before.

He had crystal blue eyes, messy black hair and skin that was only slightly tanned. The most amazing thing that kept her staring were the wings on his back and the peeks of black scales on his waist where his shirt rode up slightly as he bent over. A soft squeak of alarm forced itself out as she finally realized that he was bending over her.

“N, n, no! Please, I didn’t mean to run into you, Sir!” She pleaded, half expecting the man to get angry and his anger to lash her with its hot needle-like sensation. A quiet chuckle was all the warning she had before hands lightly grabbed her arms and lifted her off the ground before setting her on her feet.

“What have I here?” A low, soft voice rumbled from over her head as he grasped her chin in his hand and tilted her face up. Shaking her head, she fought to keep her chin down. He would see her face, her ugly side, and she didn’t want that to happen. She clamped her eyes shut when he won the miniscule battle of wills. I should have asked the Lady to come with me. I bet she could have kept people from seeing me.

“Young, but so very pretty. You’ll be very beautiful when you grow up.” Hearing something like a smile in the man’s voice, she hesitantly opened her eyes in confusion. Couldn’t he see what was missing? Couldn’t he see how ugly she was? Hesitantly she shook her head at him again.

“I’m not.” She muttered, glancing away from the smiling face and the crystal blue eyes that boared into hers. Another soft chuckle was her reward for her small show of stubbornness.

“What’s your name and what are you doing out by yourself this early in the morning?” She cringed slightly has his fingers stroked the exposed muscles and bones of her face. Her mouth opened to tell him her name then froze as she realized she didn’t know her name.

“I need to find a place to get a pack, but I’m not sure where a shop is.” She hesitated for a moment and offered the first name that seemed familiar to her. “I’m Kyssa. Who are you?” Kyssa giggled as he stood and offered her an easygoing smile along with a silly flourishing bow. She took the chance to shake her head slightly, tossing her hair back into its customary position.

“I’m Dileas. Come, I was heading for a tavern I’ve heard is exquisite, but I’d be honored to help you find a shop.” Kyssa took the offered hand and found herself laughing giddily when he placed her on his shoulder. “Kyssa, whom is it you are holding so fiercely?”

For a long moment Kyssa stared blankly at Dileas before she realized he was talking about Lieka. Hesitatingly, she held out her only comapnion. She began chewing on her lip when he took Lieka and studied her. A small smile twisted the corners of his mouth and a secretive look gleamed in his crystal blue eyes when he handed her back.

“Her name is Lieka, she’s special.”

“That she is, never lose her. Now, tell me what do you need a pack for?” Smiling widely, Kyssa chattered about meeting the Lady, why she needed the pack for the materials, and what the materials were for as Dileas set out to find a shop.
    Last edited by Kaenniswen; 06-26-08 at 10:07 AM.
    Her lips were red, her looks were free,
    Her locks were yellow as gold:
    Her skin was as white as leprosy,
    The Night-mare LIFE-IN-DEATH was she,
    Who thicks man's blood with cold.

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
    -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

EXP: 73,853, Level: 11
    Level completed: 74%, EXP required for next level: 3,147
    Level completed: 74%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,147
    GP

Name
    Lillian Sesthal
    Race
    Apparently Human
    Hair Color
    Silky Black
    Eye Color
    Eerie Blue
    Build
    5'7" / ?? lbs.

“Will these do?”

Like a titan in an apron and bowtie, the shopkeeper seemed to tower several feet over a counter so tall it dwarfed Lillian by itself. He held a pile of carefully folded clothes, onto which were stacked a pair of calf-high combat boots, goatskin gloves and a silk scarf with black and blue tartan designs. “If you’re adamant they fit my measurements, then yes, they’re perfect.” Even if the boots were too big, she could always pack them full of kerchiefs or wear thicker socks – better that than a pair nigh-worn through the soles.

“You’re about the size of a Draconian young’un, so these might be summat loose, but anything smaller and you’d have to shop in the Fae’s department.” The Draconian grinned at the girl as he handed her the bunch, one she answered in earnest.

“I’d much rather have loose than upchucked by a rainbow, in any case.” She felt rather harsh after saying that, but by his answering guffaw it seemed a shared opinion. Even so, while she did believe the Faes could be excessive in their choice of palette, they still fit perfectly in this city of dazzling lights and prismatic colors. Much more than I do, at least. That, coupled with the fact that they could simply fly up to this giant of a countertop, made her positively envious. And me, I’m like a toddler in a confectionery, hopping around just so that the candy man can see me.

“And here’s the replacement waterskin you asked for,” he added as he produced one from the wickerwork shelved behind and gently tossed it to the girl. “Need anything else, lass?” the Draconian was now leaning over that heavy slab of oak, arms crossed as he flashed a fanged smirk. “Maybe a ladder?”

“Oh, what a hoot you are,” Lillian mumbled unconvincingly. “I’ll need some canvas awning, in case I can’t find a shelter when it rains out there.”

Reaching underneath the counter, he pulled out a dusty roll of the fabric and set it lightly on the counter, literally beneath her nose. “Oh, and rope, right?”

“That won’t be necessary,” the teenager replied hastily, boasting a strangely secretive smile. The retailer quirked an eyebrow, his curiosity piqued. “Do you have a brass pot? And Galmira tea leaves?”

“Planning a tea party in the woods, are you?” he quipped as he wandered half a dozen feet away, picking a stained teapot from a mobile that hung from the rafters.

“Sent the invitations to a family of Algoras just yesterday,” Lillian retorted dismissively. “I’ll also need ten slices of goat cheese, two pounds of dried fruit and five pounds of boar meat – two thirds dried, the rest salted…”

“Oi, lass…”

“… a lantern, two pouches of lamp oil, a wool blanket, and a jar of aloe vera.” She pulled her tongue back, stopping its endless reel as she recalled him speaking. “What is it?”

A reverberating thud sounded as he gavelled the piles of gathered articles onto the counter, boxes and baubles upon it dancing in the aftershock. The poor Draconian seemed exhausted, what with all the running from the storeroom to the pantry to item-laden tables that cramped the general store. “First, what do you even need aloe for? Second, that’s quite a lot you’re going to be carrying, you know?”

“To clean my teeth. And thanks for the concern, but I’m stronger than I look.”

“Really, now?” As he began wrapping bundles of fruit and trussing slabs of meat in manila paper, the Draconian snickered audibly. The utterance was meant to be arrogant, but he admittedly was interested by her reply. “Sorry lass, but that’s hard to believe.”

“I could give you a run for your money.” Her countenance as she taunted him was impressively inexpressive, her glacial eyes absently perusing the mismatched jars that lined the store’s back.

“Tough words, for a girl knee-high to grasshopper. Right there’s a challenge if I ever heard one, and that’s dangerous grounds to tread with any Draconian.”

“Any challenge, by nature, is worth the risk,” she replied with the same coolness, returning her gaze from the glass display cases near the windows that overlooked the quiet streets of the Cearnaigh Criostal. They were now riveted on the shopkeeper, almost defiant. “You might even lose. Would the winnings be enough to pay for all of this, you think? I’ve always hated dipping into my coin pouch.”

His stare was so wide it seemed he never had any eyelids. There, behind that a countertop that must have devoured hundreds to grow so big, he was silent and motionless, and she was almost expecting the whistling of a teakettle from his ears. Instead, however, he broke the silence by breaking into laughter. “Guts to outlast a wall o’ steel, I like that! I’m glad to see not all humans crack like eggshells.”

To that, her defiant smile seemed to waver, and for a moment she fell into a silence of her own. “Do you get many… human customers?”

“Bunch o’ explorers every now and then, archaeologists and whatnot. Dignified tomb raiders, the lot o’ them, though some were just doddering tourists. Raiders and tourists: the top recurring culprits for the murder o’ any culture, I say.” A hacking spit to his side of the floor was the conclusion to his rant. Then, he grinned all his fangs, standing there akimbo as if his phlegm wasn’t sliding between the floorboards. “People like you, though, are what make it worth the trouble, opening our borders to the rest o’ the world and all. Tell you what: pick something you like, something reasonable, and I’ll let you have it for free.”

“Really?” Lillian’s face lighted up at those words, and in that instant she appeared more juvenile, as if she allowed herself to drop her constant guard. “Then…” Rather shyly, she pointed at a glass container on the counter. “Some liquorice?”

He simply blinked, then chuckled as he ran his claws through a shock of taupe hair. “Well I’ll be. Girl’s found guts o’ steel, but still managed to keep a sweet tooth. You might just be the most precious little ball o’ danger to ever set foot in here – and this is a town full o’ Faes!” He handed her a jar chock-full of bright-red liquorice wheels, unable to stop himself from beaming as he watched her childish delight. “Strawberry and cherry essences instead of actual liquorice, as you can see. But tell me, where are you going with all o’ this, anyway?”

“I’m leaving Dheathain,” she said wistfully, this time unable to don a mirthful smile. “Then I’ll head toward Fallien.”

“Leaving? Never thought I’d see the day I’d go and miss a foreign customer… why do you need to leave this fine country o’ mine?”

“To go home… and to preserve your culture.” Her laughter was small and sweet as she gave him the coins to pay for everything – the exact price. An oddity, as he had yet to tell her the total. Lillian quickly packed her knapsack with her recent purchases; in the end, it was so full that it ballooned from the inside, bouncing up and down her back with every step too hurried. “Thank you, sir! And I might just return one day, to honour my challenge.”

The door swung closed as she stepped out, plunging the store in a hush all too familiar to the old Draconian. Then, a loud clatter of wood and metal came from the outside.

A few heartbeats later, and Lillian’s head peeked in from the doorway. “There’s, um, one thing that I forgot to buy…”

“What is it, lass?” he replied innocently, yet not bothering to hide that knowing smirk.

“A new bag…”
    Last edited by Ataraxis; 10-23-08 at 03:06 AM.

GP

Name
    ???
    Race
    ?
    Hair Color
    Dark red
    Eye Color
    Cobalt
    Build
    3'10" 74 lbs
    Job
    N/A

Her new dark colored vilence pack hanging from her shoulders, Kyssa stood in front of the street vendor, waving to Dileas as he headed down the street, looking once again for the tavern. A quiet girlish giggled welled up in her as Dileas waved back to her before turning the corner and disappearing down the next street.

“What a nice man, Lieka. I wish everyone where as nice as him and the Lady.” For a moment she bounced in place before remembering that she was supposed to be looking for the things the Lady asked for. She dug into the hidden pocket of her skirt and fished out the list. Her lips moved silently as she read the ingredients needed and their locations. She took a moment to carefully fold the paper and place it back in her pocket before stepping back to the man working the shop to ask for directions.

“Thank you!” She called as she hurried down the street, keeping to the side to allow the larger fae and occasional draconian to pass. Kyssa noticed a person, an oddity compared to what she was now vaguely used to in Dheathain, a human woman. Before she had a chance to remark to Lieka on the woman’s appearance she stepped back into the shop she had just excited. Kyssa shrugged, a small happy smile curved the tiny cupid’s bow that made her rosy mouth, while a spark that was far older than the girl’s years gleamed for a moment before fading away into the typical young girl’s delighted glow.

“Come on Lieka, you can help me find two pretty stones. I know with you helping me we’ll find exactly what the Lady wanted.”

~~~

Before the sun reached the zenith of its daily travel Kyssa found the waterfall. She only lost her way once or twice and blamed it on avoiding people that got too close. In the cool spray of mist rising up from the waterfall she looked around, her determination to find the crystals warring with a desire to kick off her shoes and go splashing through the water.

“Lieka…” She whined, plaintively looking longingly at the sparkling water. “Maybe, maybe if we find the two crystals immediately then I can play. Reluctantly she turned away from the pool of water and set her pack and Lieka on the ground beside a tree before starting her search for two crystals.

An hour later she only had a handful of cloudy slivers of crystal to show for her efforts. Frustrated to the point of tears she threw herself to sit beside the pool’s edge. Tears stung her eyes as she tossed the silvers into the water one at a time with viscous force.

“What am I supposed to do Lieka? I can’t find the crystals and without them the mask can’t be made.” A rustling sound from behind her made her scoot around ignoring what the damp ground was doing to her dress. Lieka stood on her own, her tiny feet near blurring as she ran around the edge of the pool towards the waterfall.

“Lieka! Don’t leave, I promise I’ll look harder.” Kyssa scrambled to her feet and snatched up the pack before chasing after her doll. Never once did it occur to Kyssa as to why she heard Lieka moving around over the loud roar of the waterfall. Had Kyssa looked back she would have caught a glimpse of a familiar smiling face standing next to a tree before it abruptly disappeared.

“Lieka, you’re going to get wet. Don’t you remember what happened last time you got wet?” Kyssa shouted after the doll as it vanished behind the waterfall. Close enough that the spray soaked her dress and hair Kyssa stopped and for an agonizing moment hopped from foot to foot, waiting to see if Lieka would come back or if she would appear in the pool.

When Lieka didn’t appear Kyssa slowly inched forward, expecting at any moment the rush of water to grab her and yank her down to the frothing water. Hugging the rock wall Kyssa found she could walk behind the waterfall. She stared at the clear bluish water and could just barely make out the green blurs that were the trees. How pretty. Her outstretched hand encountered a lack of stone, startled she looked over. Just to her right was an opening in the rock face, large enough to allow one of the Draconians, near her feet stood Lieka. For a moment Kyssa got the distinct impression that her doll was laughing at her.
    “You shouldn’t run off, what if someone grabbed you? What if… oh!” Kyssa scolded, almost yelling to be heard over the sound of the waterfall, she stopped as she realized that the cave was brightly lit for a cave. Blinking owlishly she followed Lieka farther in, stopping only when she spotted broken crystals lying on the ground.

“You found the crystals!” Happily she bounced over to the walls and looked at the crystals that glimmered in the pale. Carefully she tugged at the partly embedded crystal. It came out of the crumbling rock easily; several smaller crystals also fell, shattering on the uneven stone floor. For a moment Kyssa looked around, a guilty expression on her face as if she just knew someone was going to jump out and yell at her for breaking the crystals. When no one appeared she shoved the crystal in her pocket and searched along the walls for another crystal that seemed big enough.

Kyssa followed Lieka around to different points in the cave inspecting the crystals, collecting a few small, particularly pretty crystals for herself and arguing with Lieka on why the crystal she pointed out wasn’t right. It took her nearly half an hour to find a second crystal she deemed big enough and perfectly clear. Picking up Lieka she returned to the entrance and looked through the water once more. Checking to make sure her crystal were as deep in her pockets as they could be she took a deep breath then jumped into the water. A moment later she popped up in the pool of water, just beyond the frothy cloud of churned up water, giggling.
    Her lips were red, her looks were free,
    Her locks were yellow as gold:
    Her skin was as white as leprosy,
    The Night-mare LIFE-IN-DEATH was she,
    Who thicks man's blood with cold.

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
    -Samuel Taylor Coleridge