Prematurely Gray
    Eye Color
    Crimson
    Build
    6'2"/205lbs
    Job
    Wine collector

Region NPC's

You know why I like writing in the bazaar, and why I feel AdventWings might be the most under-appreciated mod in the entire site?

The fact that he routinely writes as NPCs for the benefit of other characters.

Hear me out. Doesn't it feel like all the regions are exactly the fucking same? It does, doesn't it? Admit it! Everyone just writes in Corone anyway because all the region writers do is say "Here's what the place looks like and here are some NPC's you can't play with because your quest will be declared non-canon. Have fun." I respect why they do that; I respect that you can't just have joe fuckface sportsbar kill the king of Salvar because that's retarded and it screws up the rest of Althanas. I get that. But you know what? Even if you were allowed to write the bastards, it still wouldn't make any difference. It'd still just be you playing with yourself.

The bazaar is fun because you're not competing with anybody for the spotlight, but it doesn't have the fucking dreariness of a solo quest. Now imagine if Findelfin wrote the high bard council of Raiearea(can't spell that shit) Elfland in anything other than stuff Findelfin the character was involved in? The number of people writing in Elfland would skyrocket! Same thing with Salvar and the other regions. I'm not saying everybody should get to speak to the king, but it'd be nice if you could request an audience.

I've actually talked to Sighter about this and he agrees with me. In theory, anyway. But the mods are overworked as it is. I get that too. I realize that it's ludicrous to ask mods to take this shit on among everything else they're doing.

Now, those that know me know that I'm one of the most vocal people against giving mods IC rewards like gold and exp for OOC work. But you know what? I'll reverse my position on this. I have no problem with people getting IC benefits for playing their region's NPCs. I mean Goddamnit, can't you just imagine how much more vibrant Althanas would be? Every region would truly have it's own distinct 'feel', just like the writers do.

Comment on this shit, people.

And now, so the cavalcade of fags and idiots don't run in expressing their disbelief that I've done something other than troll, here it is:

Kikes fuck niggers for money. Buy Colgate.
    Last edited by Godhand; 07-27-08 at 02:25 AM.
    "I almost shook his hand but then I remembered I killed a man."
    -Camus, The Stranger

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
    -Denis Diderot

"But I can smile...And I can smile while I kill..."
    -King Ricardo

"I know this is going to sound like a joke but I am deadly serious: I didn't know it was jubilee week."
    -Johnny Rotten

Meet Mr. Man/My Inventory/Almost Great

EXP: 18,260, Level: 5
    Level completed: 72%, EXP required for next level: 1,740
    Level completed: 72%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,740
    GP

Name
    Tshael Nito
    Race
    Dranak
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Gold

Are you saying that continent mods should get rewards for participating in people's threads?
    We of winter weary hold the stories oh so dearly

-Children of Nin {63}
    -The Warrior's Way {In Progress}
    -Changing Seasons {In Progress}
    -The Sacrifice {82}
    -The Good Olde Days {69}
    -Halos Made of Hellfire {In Progress}

Throbbing Member
    EXP: 101,041, Level: 13
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next level: 2,959
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,959
    GP

Name
    Godhand Striker
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Prematurely Gray
    Eye Color
    Crimson
    Build
    6'2"/205lbs
    Job
    Wine collector

That is exactly what I'm saying. Whatever it takes to give the regions some identity.
    -Camus, The Stranger

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
    -Denis Diderot

-King Ricardo

"I know this is going to sound like a joke but I am deadly serious: I didn't know it was jubilee week."
    -Johnny Rotten

EXP: 18,260, Level: 5
    Level completed: 72%, EXP required for next level: 1,740
    Level completed: 72%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,740
    GP

Name
    Tshael Nito
    Race
    Dranak
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Gold

I like this idea. It reminds me of the days when Redrick would bust into people's Alerar quests.
    We of winter weary hold the stories oh so dearly

-Children of Nin {63}
    -The Warrior's Way {In Progress}
    -Changing Seasons {In Progress}
    -The Sacrifice {82}
    -The Good Olde Days {69}
    -Halos Made of Hellfire {In Progress}

GP

Name
    Vincent Winterscar
    Race
    Half-dead.
    Hair Color
    White.
    Eye Color
    Glowing white/blue.
    Build
    7', 300 lbs.
    Job
    Demon slayer, bounty hunter, and murderer.

OMG GODHAND DOING SOMETHING OTHER THAN--alright, cutting off the sarcasm. Gimme a beer.

I agree, though. I've recently taken to wanting to write more in the bazaar because here's the thing; I can't write solos. Can't. Tried. Couldn't. Having one of the mods there to help my storyishthing go along without dying in the middle of it because I can't find the motivation to write is refreshing. AdventWings is one of the hardest working mods around due to the simple fact that he plays not just his character but all those NPC's as well; it can't be easy-peasy. So I agree, continent writers should get rewards for NPC writing. I'd like to see the "story" of Althanas really get some activity.

I know, I know. FQ's, and all that, before anybody says anything. Just stating how I feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Keyes
    Go to a pawn shop and buy a piece of someones failed life.
    Nothing says I love you like the shattered remnants of someone else's relationship.

GP

Name
    Darcy Ombremer
    Race
    human
    Hair Color
    raven black
    Eye Color
    green
    Build
    5'4'', 127 lbs.
    Job
    captain of the pirate ship Shadowmast

Well Mr. Godhand, I must say that I would definitely support it. I basically look at the regions brief two-sentence summary on the world index and know everything I need to. There's Fallien, the equivalent of the desert/middle east! There's Istraloth, it's tropical! It kinda makes me feel like I'm writing in a very flat place because going through all the information of an area can just be so....two-dimensional. It's like drawing a stick figure. But if mods were given incentives to do the stuff that makes this world breathe as much as our world, fuck yes I'm for it.

Thanks for bringing this up Mr. Godhand. Hope this goes through.

Hypocrite and Bitch
    EXP: 17,330, Level: 5
    Level completed: 56%, EXP required for next level: 2,670
    Level completed: 56%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,670
    GP

Name
    Serilliant
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    1.75 meters / 70 kilograms
    Job
    Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by Mithra Reborn View Post
    It kinda makes me feel like I'm writing in a very flat place because going through all the information of an area can just be so....two-dimensional.
    Keep in mind that there is some pretty detailed information about each region in the almanac here: http://althanas.com/world/faq.php?faq=althanasalmanac. The Althanas History (also in the FAQ) provides for a decent historical context for some of the modern constructs as well.

I do really like this idea, though. How do propose that the mechanics might work? Moderators jump in at random to play NPCs? Players request that an NPC be a part of their quest, and ask a mod to do it? Something else?

Philosophically, I love the idea. I just would like to see how, exactly, it could work.

Throbbing Member
    GP

Name
    Godhand Striker
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Prematurely Gray
    Eye Color
    Crimson
    Build
    6'2"/205lbs
    Job
    Wine collector

I like the idea of a mod busting in on a thread like the fucking Kool-Aid man, but I'm not quite sure how that would work. Okay, I'm slowly starting to work it out...

Okay, say you have a quest with a clear beginning, middle and end and you don't want anybody to interfere. Then you could just state in your opening post "No region writer NPC's please". If you're not averse to the idea of someone busting in, you can say "open to region writer" and if you want to roleplay with the NPC's, you say "Closed to region writer and x", where x is whoever you're also roleplaying with.

I also like the idea of appointing some people the region writer trusts as NPC writers. That would lessen the workload.

Let me just be clear that when I say IC rewards, I don't mean like a piddling 100 exp. I mean the STANDARD exp and gold they'd get if they'd written in that quest with their main character. If this idea takes off and enough people are into it then it could get scaled back, but until then I am for whatever it takes to get region writers interested in their fucking regions again and writing their NPC's.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that, if done right, this idea could make althanas a hundred times better. Christ, just think about it! Living, breathing continents! I'm not one to normally get excited about online shit but this could be the best althanas idea I ever had, and I'm the one who suggested the Pagoda championship and the non-FQ MVP idea. (more on that later)

Edit: I am truly the greatest guy.
    -Camus, The Stranger

-Denis Diderot

-King Ricardo

-Johnny Rotten

GP

Name
    Vincent Winterscar
    Race
    Half-dead.
    Hair Color
    White.
    Eye Color
    Glowing white/blue.
    Build
    7', 300 lbs.
    Job
    Demon slayer, bounty hunter, and murderer.

Quote Originally Posted by Serilliant View Post
    I do really like this idea, though. How do propose that the mechanics might work? Moderators jump in at random to play NPCs? Players request that an NPC be a part of their quest, and ask a mod to do it? Something else?
    I don't think jumping in at random would be all that appropriate, but if we went with the request system, it might go overboard for the moderators. Imagine waking up with fifteen requests to play so and so in this and this. I'd be just like that Hillary Clinton midget myself: a happy happy no. As Godhand stated, the mods have enough shit to work on without having to concentrate on getting this and this done: lots of players have little patience, it seems, and I don't think they (the mods) want to be barraged with complaints, even more so than nowadays.

Rather, and I know this has flaws, I think the mods should be the ones to say when so-and-so is available. Going with Godhand's example of Findelfin playing the council, he should be able to state to Althanas saying "Oh, these guys are now available to be RP'ed with/in, and will be so until this and this date." Like I said, I know its flawed, but ultimately I believe it should be up to the moderators to decide.

EDIT: Ah fuck, I just got ninja'd by da' Greatest Guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Keyes
    Go to a pawn shop and buy a piece of someones failed life.
    Nothing says I love you like the shattered remnants of someone else's relationship.

Throbbing Member
    GP

Name
    Godhand Striker
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Prematurely Gray
    Eye Color
    Crimson
    Build
    6'2"/205lbs
    Job
    Wine collector

I refuse to take mod workload as an excuse. Not this time. Goddamnit, appoint a whole fucking CABAL of NPC writers to each region if that's what it takes; DOUBLE the fucking exp they get if that's what it takes. This thing could make Althanas good again for the first time in years. Can't you see?
    -Camus, The Stranger

-Denis Diderot

-King Ricardo

-Johnny Rotten

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast