Sun-Bleached Strawberry Blond
    Eye Color
    Light Blue
    Build
    6'3" / 145lbs
    Job
    Scribe/Inkmage/Mailman

Salvic Portals!

I had a few questions about the portals in Salvar! :)

-What do they look like? Because right now I am totally imagining the stargate and I need a quick smack back to pseudo-reality if that's not the case.

-Can only the Church of the Ethereal Sway use them, or both the church and the Monarchy? Are they still in use currently during the FQ? And are people required to be a certain rank/level to use them?

-What kind of magic are they activated by? How do you control which destination they go to?

-Would other destinations know that a particular destination had been selected?

-Should I stop asking nitpicky questions and just BS through?

My questions are for a FQ I am in, I just need to know which side and rank NPC I would need to have as an "inside man" to use the portals to sneak food to hungry villagers, and who would potentially know about the portals being used/abused that way, the rest is just filler.

Thanks in advance for any help. :D
    If I could make it work in life like it works on paper,
    If the love that I describe could be anything but words,
    Then I would wipe my eyes, I'd dry this ink,
    I'd trade my pen in for a pair of wings and I would fly...
    If only I could make it work in life.

Subterranean Homesick Blues

Resident Pointy Hat
    EXP: 68,785, Level: 10
    Level completed: 32%, EXP required for next level: 8,215
    Level completed: 32%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,215
    GP

Name
    Caden "Blueraven" Law
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Light blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Job
    Wizard for hire, freelance alchemist, translator, navigator, and archivist

Haidia: The Demon Underworld should at least answer a few of those. For more depth...

Portals: Considering the description, probably a hybrid between a Stargate, the Dark Portal, and a Roman archway with some added GrimDark. Artistic license is in play. Transport through it basically sounds like a Stargate that happens to shunt the traveller through Hell (that whole mind numbing pain/mind shuts down during transit/etc thing). While the portals are generally supposed to connect to each other only, I suspect a determined squirrel with sufficient nuts could pick a different exit point

Currently: The Portals are a bit of a forgotten lore piece, I'd think. They may or may not play a role later when one of the Big Bads (or even Big Goods) figures out they can use the Portals to travel all over the world with ease and relative safety. I'd say the one in Salvar is currently under loosening guard considering the political situation there; same for the one in Corone. Status for the one in Raiaera is anyone's guess. There's also always the possibility that other gates lie undiscovered or newly created and unactivated.

Guidance/Activation: Judging by the Haidian descriptions, active portals are controlled via a convenient panel located right next to it. The only requirement to use it is probably a decent understanding of Haidian language or Old Diamonic or whatever. Hacking the thing probably requires additional understanding of Haidian numbering and/or decent grasp of coordinates.

Notice: Probably not until the Portal's been activated and something or other is coming out.

...course I could be mistaking the Haidian portals for something else you're asking about... D:
    RPs to Date
    Items or EXP listed until profile updates are made.

Stairway to Heaven - Complete.
    Into Yesterday - In Progress.

EXP: 14,275, Level: 5
    Level completed: 5%, EXP required for next level: 5,725
    Level completed: 5%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,725
    GP

Name
    Cael "Inkfinger" Strandssen
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Eye Color
    Light Blue
    Build
    6'3" / 145lbs
    Job
    Scribe/Inkmage/Mailman

Quote Originally Posted by Caden Law View Post
    Haidia: The Demon Underworld should at least answer a few of those. For more depth...

Portals: Considering the description, probably a hybrid between a Stargate, the Dark Portal, and a Roman archway with some added GrimDark. Artistic license is in play. Transport through it basically sounds like a Stargate that happens to shunt the traveller through Hell (that whole mind numbing pain/mind shuts down during transit/etc thing). While the portals are generally supposed to connect to each other only, I suspect a determined squirrel with sufficient nuts could pick a different exit point

Currently: The Portals are a bit of a forgotten lore piece, I'd think. They may or may not play a role later when one of the Big Bads (or even Big Goods) figures out they can use the Portals to travel all over the world with ease and relative safety. I'd say the one in Salvar is currently under loosening guard considering the political situation there; same for the one in Corone. Status for the one in Raiaera is anyone's guess. There's also always the possibility that other gates lie undiscovered or newly created and unactivated.

Guidance/Activation: Judging by the Haidian descriptions, active portals are controlled via a convenient panel located right next to it. The only requirement to use it is probably a decent understanding of Haidian language or Old Diamonic or whatever. Hacking the thing probably requires additional understanding of Haidian numbering and/or decent grasp of coordinates.

Notice: Probably not until the Portal's been activated and something or other is coming out.

...course I could be mistaking the Haidian portals for something else you're asking about... D:
    I was talking about the ones mentioned in this thread, quoted here for convenience:

Quote Originally Posted by Ashiakin
    One of the mechanisms through which the church maintains such strict control is a network of portals. Every church in Salvar--and every town and every rural fief has at least one--is connected to every other church in the realm through a series of portals. These are closed to the public except under exceptional circumstances. The church also maintains a group of aeromancers, sometimes referred to as "weathermen," who help control and ameliorate Salvar's harsh climate.
    I imagine they would probably work like the ones in Haida, only on a less...demony level? Though this section makes it sound like the two might have a connection:

Quote Originally Posted by Ashiakin
    In Knife's Edge, the capital city, there is a dangerous stalemate. The army has laid siege to St. Denebriel's Cathedral, the national center of the Church, but have been unable to take it due to its fortress-like construction. The priests within the Cathedral have deployed Aleraran cannons against the besieging army and it is rumored that they have called strange and terrible creatures through portals to fight at their sides.
    So who knows...thanks for the answer though!

Resident Pointy Hat
    EXP: 68,785, Level: 10
    Level completed: 32%, EXP required for next level: 8,215
    Level completed: 32%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,215
    GP

Name
    Caden "Blueraven" Law
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Light blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Job
    Wizard for hire, freelance alchemist, translator, navigator, and archivist

Quote Originally Posted by Inkfinger View Post
    I was talking about the ones mentioned in this thread, quoted here for convenience:

I imagine they would probably work like the ones in Haida, only on a less...demony level? Though this section makes it sound like the two might have a connection:

So who knows...thanks for the answer though!
    Argh. D: But yeah. Probably like the Haidian ones except less demony and more holy. Though taking into account the Church's nature, there probably is a way of keeping track of who's going where and why...but everyone's too busy trying not to get skewered on pitchforks to bother with it.
    RPs to Date
    Items or EXP listed until profile updates are made.

Stairway to Heaven - Complete.
    Into Yesterday - In Progress.

I'm Mr. White Christmas!
    EXP: 55,856, Level: 9
    Level completed: 17%, EXP required for next level: 9,144
    Level completed: 17%,
    EXP required for next level: 9,144
    GP

Name
    Ashiakin Azzarak
    Race
    Demon
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'0''/170lbs
    Job
    Spymaster

I originally designed the portals to be mechanisms for the clergy and Church adherents with clearance to travel easily between major towns and outposts in Salvar. I thought of the portals as being within the various churches themselves and able to send travelers to any other church with a portal. Normally, it'd be impossible for foreigners or lay people to use them, pretty much. With the war on, though, I imagine it'd be easier to sneak in/force you war in/bribe your way in.

I always thought of the magic they used being regulated by the clergy, though they will be spending much less of their time doing that, so the system is likely becoming a little erratic. And yes, I imagined the clergy in the church people teleport to would be previously notified by the clergy from their church of departure (although now, of course, there may be no one even watching in the church travelers arrive at.)

I'm no longer the Salvar writer/regions admin, so this is not staff advice. I'm just a civilian now. You'll have to ask Christoph, the new writer, for anything official. He may want to make some changes to all of this.
    "The problem with escapism is that when you read or write a book, society is in the chair with you. You can't escape your history or your culture. So the idea that because fantasy books aren't about the real world, they therefore 'escape,' is ridiculous. Even the most surreal and bizarre fantasy can't help but reverberate around the reader's awareness of their own reality." -- China MiƩville

Former Regions Administrator, Former Salvar Writer

EXP: 14,275, Level: 5
    Level completed: 5%, EXP required for next level: 5,725
    Level completed: 5%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,725
    GP

Name
    Cael "Inkfinger" Strandssen
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Eye Color
    Light Blue
    Build
    6'3" / 145lbs
    Job
    Scribe/Inkmage/Mailman

Quote Originally Posted by Ashiakin View Post
    I originally designed the portals to be mechanisms for the clergy and Church adherents with clearance to travel easily between major towns and outposts in Salvar. I thought of the portals as being within the various churches themselves and able to send travelers to any other church with a portal. Normally, it'd be impossible for foreigners or lay people to use them, pretty much. With the war on, though, I imagine it'd be easier to sneak in/force you war in/bribe your way in.

I always thought of the magic they used being regulated by the clergy, though they will be spending much less of their time doing that, so the system is likely becoming a little erratic. And yes, I imagined the clergy in the church people teleport to would be previously notified by the clergy from their church of departure (although now, of course, there may be no one even watching in the church travelers arrive at.)

I'm no longer the Salvar writer/regions admin, so this is not staff advice. I'm just a civilian now. You'll have to ask Christoph, the new writer, for anything official. He may want to make some changes to all of this.
    Thanks for the clarification and whatnot there!

*scampers off to hunt down find Christoph*