Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ToC Introduction and FAQ (Read First!)

Loremaster
    EXP: 72,114, Level: 11
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 4,886
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,886
    GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    6' / 175 pounds
    Job
    Former chef, aimless wanderer, Pagoda Master, and self-professed Salvic Rebel Leader ™.

ToC Introduction and FAQ (Read First!)

Allow me to welcome you to the main event of the Althanas Invitational, the first ever Tournament of Champions. No doubt you have some questions regarding this whole thing, so I will use my telepathic powers to answer them all in advance.

What is the Tournament of Champions? The ToC is a massive, completely open inter-forum competition. Writers and roleplayers from all across the Internet are invited to register and compete.

What sort of competition is it? It’s a team battle tournament. Participants form teams of two and battle other teams.

So I win if I beat the other team ICly? Nope. Players receive a score at the end of their battle. The team with the highest total score wins and gets one step closer to the prize!

Score? Wtfhax? How does that work? And what about defaults and all that stuff? A great question! Your answers are provided in detail here and here!

Okay, that helped. This sounds cool, but how do I join? First, obviously, register for a basic account on this forum if you’re not already a member of Althanas. Then, you must register a character specifically for the ToC, following the guide found here. Finally, you’ll need to find a partner and register your team for the ToC. Then, you must complete an entry for the qualifiers, as instructed here.

Hold on a second, you said something about a prize earlier! Indeed, I did! You’re not only will you be competing for glory, inter-forum renown, and the knowledge that you are, in fact, the best. The outline for the rewards are as follows:

All participants: All EXP and GP earned during the tournament to use for their standard Althanas character.

All semi-finalists receive: Double all EXP received and a free copy of the upcoming World of Althanas Anthology.

Second place participants: As above, plus a $20 cash prize.

First place participants: The warm and fuzzy knowledge that you’re the best, privilege of registering an official Althanas character at the ending level of their tournament character, a hard-cover special edition of the World of Althanas Anthology, and a $40 cash prize.

Does it cost anything to enter? Nope!

This all sounds pretty awesome, but I've never done this kind of 'battle roleplay' thing before.

That's no problem at all. Max Dirks, our very own Battle Consultant, has assembled a great informational thread to tell you everything you need to know and more. Find it here!

...okay. When does it all start?

Character Registration ends December 24th. Team Registration and Qualifier Trials must be posted between December 21st and December 28th.

Feel free to post any other questions you may have in this thread and I will answer them as promptly and clearly as possible. Good luck, have fun, and get those characters registered so the literary violence can begin!
    Last edited by Ataraxis; 12-23-08 at 10:28 AM.

GP

Name
    Thomas Saxon
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'1''/201 lbs.
    Job
    Hunter

About this adjustment to level 5 characters across the board for people in the tournament, what does that actually mean for us that are registering new characters for this event? What types of stuff do we have access to that we normally wouldn't have if we were below that level? Types of armor? Guns? Etc?

What is normally alotted to a mid-level character that wouldn't be given to a lower level character aside from some leeway with developing more powerful abilities (Strong enough to lift a car, can break through walls, can wield a gun, etc.). I'm just wondering so we know what kind of precedence the tournament staff are going to set and what some of their expectations are with what we can and cannot have in this tournament.
    Last edited by Saxon; 12-08-08 at 03:27 PM.
    HEY! If you are judging or adding experience to a quest of mine, READ THIS!

~~Fibonacci's Tales ~~
    To Trump A Bluff.. (Best Quest of 2007)
    Almost Heroes

"To be evil is easy. It is far easier to destroy the light inside of someone then the darkness all around you." -The Night Watch

GP

Name
    Lucien "Flameweaver" Senus-Lytharih
    Race
    Illarian Elf
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Crimson Irises; Golden Pupils
    Build
    7'4"
    Job
    Crown-Prince of The Eletharii Imperium

... you mean we can't use characters we're familiar with and know how to play, but instead need to work our way up...?

That's... different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double 'The Fun' Felix, Jul 10 2008, 12:55 AM
    And I just wanted to say that using different colors in your roleplaying posts is distracting and should probably be avoided unless your name is Lord Synical, because he is an exception. A big exception. To everything. Thanks. He's also batshit insane.

Loremaster
    GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    6' / 175 pounds
    Job
    Former chef, aimless wanderer, Pagoda Master, and self-professed Salvic Rebel Leader ™.

For this tournament, you may use any character you wish, be it one you already know (from Althanas or other sites) or a completely new one. The only requirement is that it first with the basic power and ability guidelines set in Witchblade's character registration guide set up for this event. For Althanas itself, outside of the ToC, characters start at level 0 and work their way up by completing threads (quests and battles). That's not to say that you can't base a starting character off of a different character that you're familiar with (he/she would just be weaker to start with), so long as said character at least mostly fits with the fantasy theme.

Of course, everyone who came to Althanas for the ToC and decides to stay will have a nice chunk of EXP to start with.

To answer part of Saxon's question: lower level Althanas characters can be transferred over and modified to fit what the parameters of a level 5 (likewise with higher level characters, who would need to be toned down). The rest of your question would be best directed at Witchblade, who is in charge of this sort of thing and can be more specific.
    Last edited by Christoph; 12-09-08 at 12:50 PM.

Alrighty, I shall advertise this at my board in my OOC forum, but cannot promise I can partake myself. I am pretty swamped with University atm, have a project due in next week and have a first draft deadline for my novel looming as well. :P The start of this tournament may be too soon for me but I have the feeling some of my members might be interested.

We'll see though, we'll see. Thanks for inviting us though, its an honour and I hope if I can't partake this year that I can next year (if it turns out to be a regular thing. )

GP

Name
    Lucien "Flameweaver" Senus-Lytharih
    Race
    Illarian Elf
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Crimson Irises; Golden Pupils
    Build
    7'4"
    Job
    Crown-Prince of The Eletharii Imperium

Thanks for that, Christoph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double 'The Fun' Felix, Jul 10 2008, 12:55 AM
    And I just wanted to say that using different colors in your roleplaying posts is distracting and should probably be avoided unless your name is Lord Synical, because he is an exception. A big exception. To everything. Thanks. He's also batshit insane.

EXP: 25,609, Level: 5
    Level completed: 81%, EXP required for next level: 1,391
    Level completed: 81%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,391
    GP

Name
    Sorahn un' Rohnahmeh
    Race
    Ranoan
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Deep Blue
    Build
    5'10"/140 lbs
    Job
    Chieftain of The Red Hand

I have a question. Two actually...

If your character is already registered on Althanas and just so happens to be level 5 at the moment, should he/she/I just copy-paste his/her/my profile over to the ToC forum?

Also, are familiars allowed in this tournament? If someone were to hypothetically have an awesome black dragon familiar, would it be kosher to use him in battle?

Loremaster
    GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    6' / 175 pounds
    Job

Question one: Go ahead, if you've already got a level five profile for Althanas and plan on using the same character. You get an easy ride.

Question two: Familiars aren't typically allowed -- unless both teams agree to allow them in a given battle.

The Demon Knight
    EXP: 40,922, Level: 7
    Level completed: 66%, EXP required for next level: 3,078
    Level completed: 66%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,078
    GP

Name
    Zieg dil' Tulfried
    Race
    Haidian
    Hair Color
    Crimson
    Eye Color
    Blood Red
    Build
    6'4" / 290 lbs
    Job
    High General of the Haidian Army in Haidia

Question: Is this Garden of Secrets open now? And I read the backstory and don't truly understand much about this Garden. I want to get a backstory up for my character in this tournament now if possible.
    ~7~

"The one who does not have the courage to look at the truth is called a coward. A coward is afraid..."

Loremaster
    GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    6' / 175 pounds
    Job

The Garden is open now. Please, feel free to start up some threads with our guests. They don't even necessarily need to have anything to do with the Garden of Secrets itself -- any sort of non-tournament roleplay would go there. As for the story aspect of the Garden, I will direct you to Ataraxis who is currently working on fleshing that out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast