Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Battle System

We don't have a system per se... its all kinda plot driven I guess. Some of the staff are developing a battle system but its for a NR board that is not actually linked to the RPG really, and may never get off the ground, lol.

GP

Name
    Ran Iji
    Race
    Ayeneeian

I suppose I deviated from the actual question in the thread in an attempt to aid the rubric. Ah well, it happens. If I was to enter the tournament*, I'd adjust simply by writing exactly as I would normally. The main thing is that instead of consulting my opponent with the issues with their defenses, I'd just save it in a text file for the judge to review at a later date. My writing has always been above the usual curve of the normal forum writer, so I wouldn't add or subtract anything that I normally do.

I wouldn't cater to the rubric, or write needlessly long posts; I'd simply write the usual post that I feels captures the moment. Unfortunately, during ToL, I was forced to write far more than I cared to, since we only had a few posts to please the judges. -.-;

*Ran Iji will not be participating in this tournament. He hasn't role played for over a year and was merely directed to this forum by Dirks. Since Ran has downtime at work, and nothing else to do forum wise at the moment aside from posting on Smashboards, Ran has decided to spew out a few OOC posts here for the betterment of the experience of everyone.

GP

Name
    Rardaag Dewwit
    Race
    Raiaeran
    Hair Color
    Pale turquoise, nearing white
    Eye Color
    Azure
    Build
    5'10"/140lbs
    Job
    Scholar

Hailing from Roleplay Gateway, my battle system is entirely free form. Generally, fights are not judged as they are here on Althanas, but take on a course of action whereby each player tries to, essentially, 'out wit' the other. In doing so, and careful placement of movements, you basically 'trap' the other player so as there is no viable way of evading/blocking an attack.

I'll be entirely honest, and I am guilty of this also, and say that a lot of the time, both on forums, and on IRC (Where I do a lot of fighting, when I have the time) time plays a vital and often contentious part of fighting. Aspects of fights are heavily debated about over time. Let me give a quick, brief example:

Quote Originally Posted by Player One
    -=Throws a punch=-
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Two
    -=Evades the thrown punch by stepping back=-
    Quote Originally Posted by Player One
    ((OOC: You couldn't possibly have stepped back from that punch, there simply wouldn't have been enough time for you to do so. The punch connected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Two
    ((OOC: Don't be a moron, of course the punch could be evaded. Stop being a noob.))
    And on it goes... I once was witness to two people arguing for two hours on distance and time, and whether an attack would connect or not.

Again, as I said, I too have been guilty of participating in such arguments. My haunts online, specifically IRC, and the Grand Tournament League, are VERY competitive, and victors are decided by who wins the fight in an IC sense. This competitiveness, I think, is perhaps the cause of such arguments.

Undoubtedly, these events, when they do unfurl, reduce the enjoyment level of fights to approximately zero. And, I lose interest when such take place.

For me, RP fighting came about from my love of RP, and I have always maintained, in a community where fighting and RP is considered very different things, that I am an RPer first, fighter second. As such, I love the aspects in fights of character development, plot and environment, whereas I have seen others focus solely on the character and the actions they take. Like a puppeteer making a lifeless doll move.

RP can be, and SHOULD be, I feel, an integral part of a fight. After all, a fight is, and can be, a story all of its own.

This, I feel, is why I am so enthusiastic about the ToC - a tournament where the better storyteller wins? That is right up my street! If I could, I know I would try to 'convert' those with whom I fight and RP to such a system. However, I doubt it would ever reach a popularity where people would be willing to forsake an In Character victory in favour of a victory of writing ability. Perhaps it is a case of "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."

Either way, I am certainly looking forward to a tournament, and series of fights, where the story is the precedent factor, rather than a cause of annoyance in my opponent.

GP

Name
    Xerxid
    Race
    Celestial muse
    Hair Color
    Glossy mahogany
    Eye Color
    Hazy adularescent

Huo Yuan Jia, the Chinese hero of martial arts of the early 1900`s, said that one must curb one`s thirst for victory. Less OOC thirst for victory makes better RP fights! In other words: don`t be so anxious to win the combat itself that you become a proud, haughty godmoder.

*has spent enough time as a proud, haughty godmoder to know the truth of this by now*
    Last edited by lPulse; 12-28-08 at 09:33 PM. Reason: emoticon appearance

GP

Name
    Zhang Konji
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6'6", 230 lbs
    Job
    Wanderer

Props to Huo Yuan Jia for his wise words of temperance, and Pulse for applying them correctly. The point is to work OOCly with your partner AND opponents to make for an extraordinary bit of writing. And try to outdo them at the same time.

Competition- it's healthy.
    Balance in all things.

GP

Name
    Morgoth Shi'Nito NightCast
    Race
    Legendary Shadow Beast
    Hair Color
    Night Black
    Eye Color
    Glowing Red
    Build
    7' 235 lbs

Hahahahahahaha.

Ran Iji, good to see you. I'm DarkStrike, from GUA. And here I thought I might have had a heart attack if you had entered into the tournament.

Ah... ToL. Fond memories of committing suicide for taking that as a modding position. I swear I preferred Divine Salvation modding, with its tedious rubric and terribly flawed and cliché story line. The only memories that I have of ToL that are fond are Twisted Malice Darkbane and his ability to sow chaos and Dancing Peasant and his bizarrely satirical nonsense.

On a more serious note, minus the sarcasm, it's been far too long Ran, and how fares Clowd?

I come from C/G at RPGC. For the most part, there's a pretty narrow general selection of fairness and taste, and instinctively and from sampling of a thread, the general reader and RPer can usually figure out who's winning, and if one of the RPers is being a cheeser. There's strict rules against controlling another person's character without their permission, although NPCs are generally fair game, and treated like scenery. Firearms are considered effective against most opponents, although we have our veritable deities. Most battles seem to end in stalemates, although myself and several others have been willing to bow out intelligently if it seems that the storyline would benefit from their victory. If we've got someone who's obviously pretty much...dead, despite their objections, we have a mod make a judgment.

No real system. It's all pretty simple. Won't say it's perfect, but it works, and minimizes overhead. Often times, some storylines will involve battles the outcome of which was already agreed upon by the RPers.
    I have, I had, I will, I did. Don't I?

-Trevor Goodchild, 'The Purge' (Aeon Flux)

GP

Name
    Isis Ixidar
    Race
    Echelonian
    Hair Color
    Violet
    Eye Color
    Orange
    Build
    5'2"/xxx
    Job
    Vagrant

Two or more people write.
    People who stop posting in the thread get KO'ed.
    People who stay keep going until all parties agree thread is over.
    Judge comes in and decides winner based on who was the better writer(description, creativity, tactics, etc. etc.)
    Storyline sits in a corner and sobs because no one cares about it.

GP

Name
    Kate Downs
    Race
    Human
    Job
    Musician

Over at Dark Rain we fight it out until someone loses, and then set up a voting thread. The person with the most votes officially wins the fight, so although you might defeat your opponent in the battle thread, you can still "lose" because you god moded.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234