black
    Eye Color
    Amber
    Build
    6' 5" 260lbs
    Job
    Hunter

To Lighten the Load

As I followed various leads regarding my mysterious mark I found myself traveling the width and breadth of Althanas. One of the more memorable locaels however was the mighty forest Luthmor home to the Fae, and if rumors were true an enchanter with the power to “lighten ones burdens”.

Having made no progress on tracking down a lead on the councilor’s wife, whom I am more than certain preferred it that way. I decided to try my skills at locating the enchanter. After all what did I have to lose, but perhaps a bit of my burden… whatever that meant. Perhaps the biggest motivator was that this shadow chasing had left me a little burnt and I need to get lost in the wood for awhile.

It had taken me a few hard days of trailblazing, but the stories were accurate enough and I was within sight of the ruined temple rumored to be home to this enchanter. I made camp for the night deciding it best to approach the ruins in the day light. These secluded mystics, I’ve come to find, have a thing about their privacy and maintaining proper business hours.

I had managed to snare myself a native porcine brute that was roasting up nice beneath my canopied fire. I’d heard there were some nasty beasts in these parts; so far I have fared well enough. Perhaps the enchanter was powerful enough that the local predators knew better then to infringe upon his turf.
    Last edited by Fitz; 12-18-08 at 10:52 PM.

EXP: 3,329, Level: 2
    Level completed: 45%, EXP required for next level: 1,671
    Level completed: 45%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,671
    GP

Name
    Kially Maters Gaith
    Race
    Geomagus angel.
    Hair Color
    Chestnut Brown
    Eye Color
    Ice blue.
    Build
    Four foot, 8 stone, 2.
    Job
    Child/Wanderer

Had the hunter paid the temple a visit any earlier, he’d of found the same curious welcome had he barged in on two people mid-coitus. It mattered not who he was or what reason he had for visiting, the child within always held a good deal of interest in every person whom made their way to his humble little shrine. However, such was currently not the case, for Kially took his time drinking from a clean water spring that bubbled up in the inner sanctum of the protected shrine. Sip by sip he prepared himself for a usual quiet night of appreciating the wild life outside, speaking their nonsense of squawking, roars and chirps, holding the night in a frequent embrace of volume.

The inner sanctum of the shrine was one consisting of stone held up by vines, some of the roof had caved in to the elements and gave way to morning sun beams that gave the location a beautiful and eerie divine aura in the early hours and a breath of fresh air in the evenings yet just enough coverage from trees to keep the majority of the rain out.

Butterflies of all shapes, colours and sizes occupy that of the shrine, fluttering a gentle innocence about the small little room, leaving the dainty child inside looking like a heavenly avatar of purity and peace. Kially had fallen to a soft sleep, curled up by the spring where butterflies quickly made to land upon him and share in his body heat where the lad made no attempt to bat them away, contented in their presence.

Slowly but surely, the night would wear away.
    Last edited by Kially Gaith; 12-17-08 at 07:24 PM.

GP

Name
    Kuldroc "Kul" Thrasher
    Race
    half-orc
    Hair Color
    black
    Eye Color
    Amber
    Build
    6' 5" 260lbs
    Job
    Hunter

That night I had slept more soundly then I would normally allow. Certainly more so then I would have liked, being alone in the depths of such a mysterious forest as the Luthmor. Perhaps it was the overwhelming sense of harmony about the area. This portion of the jungle seemed to exude an almost tangible sense of calmness. More likely the damn beast I had feasted upon the night before had some strange quality to its meat, likely a result of the mysterious local flora upon which it had dined, at least until last night.

Regardless the cause I had overslept and the sun was already on the rise by the time I had awoken. The first shafts of light were already bursting through the canopy above by the time I had broken camp and prepared to approach the ruins. As I had predicted it only took me another hour’s effort to breach the clearing surrounding the ruins. For a moment I was distracted by the pageant of colorful butterflies which played within the cascading streams of light. So many vibrant colors reflecting the early midday sun it was mesmerizing.

I could not afford to stand slack jawed at the fringe of the clearing, however, I needed to keep my wits about me. I still had no idea what to expect from the enchanter assuming he… she… it? truly did exist and I wasn’t simply wasting my time. I wasn’t exactly invited here and so caution would be the word of the day. Taking a few steps forward into the clearing proper I stood before what appeared to be the primary entrance to the ruins and called to any within. “Greetings, I come in search of the enchanter” I attempted to maintain a strong and steady tone, showing doubt or uncertainty in such a situation would only further weaken my hand.
    Last edited by Fitz; 12-18-08 at 10:55 PM.

GP

Name
    Kially Maters Gaith
    Race
    Geomagus angel.
    Hair Color
    Chestnut Brown
    Eye Color
    Ice blue.
    Build
    Four foot, 8 stone, 2.
    Job
    Child/Wanderer

The voice of the one seeking the presence of the boy carried down the corridors and into the shrines very heart, awaking the boy with much ease as he were a light sleeper. Stirring, a flurry of butterflies took flight from his thin form, finally allowing their own rest to be disturbed by their guardian and growing god.

Sitting himself up, Kially rubbed his eyes, trying to figure out just what it was that woke him. No matter where his gaze fell, he couldn’t see nor hear a second sign of what dragged him from his own little world. Standing, he took slowly dreary steps towards a broken pillar, seating himself atop it where a warm beam of light warmed his aching muscles from a night upon solid rock, stretching, he arched his head from side to side, trying to loosen his now stiff neck. Oh how he missed that bed he’d once experienced…

So quietly, he remained sat, the wind child, awaiting yet another signal which he would not respond to, though still with bated curiosity, he’d wait wait wait and wake up, allowing the costs of sleeping on stone to ease off.

The hunter, should he attempt to go deeper would find himself moving through several corridors, some requiring climbing through small gaps where walls had collapsed in and some requiring a tight squeeze through ancient and ever lost halls.

GP

Name
    Kuldroc "Kul" Thrasher
    Race
    half-orc
    Hair Color
    black
    Eye Color
    Amber
    Build
    6' 5" 260lbs
    Job
    Hunter

I stood outside the ruins as a moment passed, and then another without the slightest response to my call. I contemplated turning back, but I’d come too far to go back without at least exploring a bit. Carefully and slowly I worked my way up the ruined stone steps. Making my way between fallen pillars and around collapsed sections of the ancient architecture I worked my way deeper into the complex. In the ancient shadows the light grew dim but I was still able to see well enough. I used my short sword to clear the vines and roots from my path.

I wasn’t certain how long I had been within the ruins now. They were far more labyrinthian and extensive then I had imagined from the exterior. Nature had worked hard to reclaim the place, and much of the stone work lay in shambles. The walls and ceilings were supported more by the growth around them than any crumbling masonry. It was as if nature was reconstructing the building to suit its own aesthetic desires. I hoped with each slice of my blade I would not bring a portion of roof or wall down on top of myself by disrupting the delicate balance which held the ruins together.

After what must have been several hours, as the shadows were now growing long in the places where the sun still cut through the undergrowth, I called out again “Hello, I am Kuldroc I seek the enchanter!”
    Last edited by Fitz; 12-17-08 at 08:24 PM.

GP

Name
    Kially Maters Gaith
    Race
    Geomagus angel.
    Hair Color
    Chestnut Brown
    Eye Color
    Ice blue.
    Build
    Four foot, 8 stone, 2.
    Job
    Child/Wanderer

And ever still, the hunter would receive no response, the child sat quiet and stern as he finally gained the result he’d been listening for, the voice carrying deep into the chamber, disturbing the many butterflies and small spiders that occupied within.

The sun quietly illuminated a beam down upon the child, leaving him in a pure warm luminescence that eased him from his nightly rest into a beautiful new morning. As ever, the sounds of the forest continued their way and for a short while, made the forest same benign and safe, despite its’ many deadly creatures, be them small or large.

As if it were some sort of sign, a loose rock crumbled from the ceiling, falling into the fresh water spring with a loud splash, that echoed long down the corridors and ruined halls of the shrine, a sound of life if ever there was one…Even if such sound came from no life but that of the planets will growing into the ruins foundations.

Kiallys’ little head swung to stare deep into the little spring to his right as the stone made impact with the water, such causing another burst of bright colours, more butterflies disturbed from their rest in dark alcoves, also disturbed were the fireflies, which began to loudly chirp and show their lights far out of mating season. They to were now aware of something invading their peace.

GP

Name
    Kuldroc "Kul" Thrasher
    Race
    half-orc
    Hair Color
    black
    Eye Color
    Amber
    Build
    6' 5" 260lbs
    Job
    Hunter

I had by now spent the better part of the day stomping about the ruins cutting and hacking my way through the undergrowth and squirming through crevasses where decay had left the way nearly impassible. I was by this time truly exhausted from my efforts and dripping with sweat from the smothering, wet, hotness of the rain forest. I took a perch on a slab of fallen wall and tried to regain my strength. Pulling a bit of the meat from last night’s roast out of my pack I ate it while mulling over my choices. I could either press my luck and venture deeper into the ruins, of which I would estimate there could be too much more left unexplored, or I could cut my losses and turn back.

As I sat there chewing over the options I heard the first splash. Something had fallen into what sound like a sizeable pool somewhere deeper within the ruins. The echo was loud enough that it could not have been all that far away. The promise of a possible fresh water source strengthened my resolve. Scrambling back to my feet I made haste down the dew slick corridors nearly losing my balance twice. As I made my way nearer the source of the water I could see the condensation building on the walls along with an increase in the amount of moss and lichen. The number of butterflies in this area increased dramatically as well, each one unique and colorful like living pieces of art.

Finally I made my way into some sort of chamber within the ruin. The Chamber seemed to be mostly intact though shafts of light were raining down from some gaps in the canopy. The walls and floor were nearly completely carpeted in a blanket of flowering mosses. In the center of the room a spring feed pool of cool blue water rippled enticingly. After a moment I realized that the moss was not flowering after all, instead the walls, floor, and even the ceiling were decorated with colorful butterflies gently fanning their wings to keep them dry.
    Last edited by Fitz; 12-18-08 at 11:11 PM.

GP

Name
    Kially Maters Gaith
    Race
    Geomagus angel.
    Hair Color
    Chestnut Brown
    Eye Color
    Ice blue.
    Build
    Four foot, 8 stone, 2.
    Job
    Child/Wanderer

Sitting silent, like some sort of siren awaiting its’ kill, Kially brought his legs up underneath himself as he gazed upon that of whom had entered his claimed territory, curious, in his silence, his gaze brushed over the male across the pool, his strange features and peaceful demeanor led the boy to believe he meant no harm nor damage to the tranquility.

“Hello?” A sweet shrill voice cut out, immediately the fireflies gave up their chirping and the only sounds that graced the chamber were that of the trees outside bustling in the wind and the water of the pool lightly lapping against stone. All but the elements of nature had fell quiet for the boy, as if he commanded some higher power, his unmarred form framed by a single beam of light down upon his young little form. Sure, his perfection was spoilt by dirt that had accumulated during his sleep, but what he lacked in cleanliness, he made up for in innocence, the sun catching upon his ice blue eyes, causing them to shine brightly, hinting, perhaps, at his inhuman divinity.

“You’re here… …Why?” A badly formed sentence, but at least it was spoken in common, something the child had only the briefest grasp of to share with the man. Leaning down to his right side once again, a little pale hand scooped into the pool beside him, taking up a single few beads of water which lifted to pink healthy lips. Something was keeping the boy both fed and healthy, leaving a strange and mysterious edge to the shrine he remained within. There were no signs of the chamber being a home, save for the boy inside. No signs of adults, no blankets nor a bedroll.

As Kially stirred the water further, one or two butterflies dropped down from the sunshine above, landing upon his shoulders to pay him company and rest their little wings. Something about the child radiated purity and the temple only assisted such.

Had the hunter any injuries and did not resist the magicks of the shrine, he’d find the damaged areas of body to be lightly tingling as the healing of such had increased to three fold and should he so such accept the energies that intertwined within the shrine, would he feel an overwhelming sense of self and warmth, like one had awoken next to their most beloved on a perfect day.

GP

Name
    Kuldroc "Kul" Thrasher
    Race
    half-orc
    Hair Color
    black
    Eye Color
    Amber
    Build
    6' 5" 260lbs
    Job
    Hunter

I was caught by surprise when the shrill voice pierced the serenity of the antechamber. My muscles tightened reflexively readying themselves for action. As my eyes fell upon the boy, however, my well trained reflexes were dumbfounded. A torrent of questions raced through my mind. How could I have missed this child? For that matter who was this he? Where were his parents? Were they the enchanter… enchanters the rumors only spoke of one… but then I guess he could have a family couldn’t he? Or she? Or maybe this was the enchanter apprentice? What if this was the enchanter? What if this is a TRAP?

I took a step back uncertain of what to do next. When did it become so oppressively silent in here? Realizing I still had my short sword in hand I slowly slid it into its sheath. No need to frighten the poor guy, I probably looked like a monster to him as it was. Squatting down to the child’s height I raised my now empty hand in greetings and offered a tusk filled grin. “Hello there little one” I waved my hand gently. My throat was dry and sticky, I coughed to clear it. “My name is Kuldroc, I had come here looking for someone.” I was drawn once again towards the crystal blue pool splashing gently against the stone.

I took a step forward “Would you mind terribly if I had some water?” I pointed to the stream and then back to myself indicating my intent. Again my tone was soft and my gestures slow. Don’t need to scare the little one. If his folks were the enchanters it would not serve me to send their little one running for their pant legs.
    Last edited by Fitz; 12-18-08 at 11:15 PM.

GP

Name
    Kially Maters Gaith
    Race
    Geomagus angel.
    Hair Color
    Chestnut Brown
    Eye Color
    Ice blue.
    Build
    Four foot, 8 stone, 2.
    Job
    Child/Wanderer

Kially returned with the same gesture, a little set of five digits daintily waving back in the silence. When names were exchanged, Kially remembered an earlier exchanged with friends gone by and decided to simulate just what he could recall was required of him. “I’m Kially.”
    Perhaps it was obvious the difficulty he had in speaking that of spoken common, though what he could say was perfectly spoken, well trained, as if of an upper class.

The chamber had a comfortable warmth about it that soothed the heart and soul, such warmth kept Kially both calm and stable even as the odd man made strange and unnerved movement motioning towards the water.

Given that the fellow wanted water, he wouldn’t deny him a refreshing drink and at the question which obviously referenced it, Kially could only respond with a kind hearted and eager “Sure!” Cupping both hands together, he reached down into the spring himself, gathering a fresh mouthful of the substance for himself, pouring it into his mouth and down his chin through the gaps in his fingers. “Ahhh…”

Parents were not in sight, but nothing really stated that this were the ‘living room’ of the ruins, thus leaving much to question about the child and his choice of living quarters, that and just who and where his parents were, but without audible questioning, Kially would give no answer, for an unasked question oft’ goes unanswered.
    Last edited by Kially Gaith; 12-18-08 at 12:31 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast