Thread: Team Registration...

Team Registration...

TNR #2-Satuul Demons

Nemaisare and Trivia

Grunt and Snatch

Ummm... We'll be on holidays until the 4th of january, so if that coincides with the start of the tournament, we'd like to request a spot in the 2nd bracket... if we make it through
    Last edited by Nemaisare; 12-22-08 at 03:46 PM.

The wind whispered though the grass, rustling it unnecessarily until it could rise up and tease the trees with their stationary existence, making them sway and whip their leaves about in admonishments and irritation. It carried through the forest its own mixture of scents and sounds. Heralding the rain that came after it with the sort of patient persistence most clouds possess. It quieted the animals as they all sought shelter for the night that came far too early with the storm, and covering up the distant brook while whining incessantly in his ears. But it still was not loud enough to cover up his sister’s chatter. Chatter that had to have been kept up for the better part of the afternoon and was forever distracting him.

“Shut up, Snatch.” Grunt spoke the order calmly, not bothering to put any emphasis on words that might or might not be listened to. He’d said the same many times before, and the effect they had on his sister wasn’t predictable, so all he was hoping for was maybe a moment or two of silence. In fact, the young demon didn’t really care enough about the results of his ‘request’ to even look up from the bones of his latest meal. They were still rather gory, and he had paused in laying them out more than once to nibble at what small amounts of meat he’d missed. Just as he did now, leaning back on his heels and chewing idly on a thicker thighbone while he eyed his work critically. It was spread out before him, white and red bone against the brown dirt and framed by the roots of a conveniently located tree.

Of course, being in the middle of a forest probably meant that it was him and Snatch who were conveniently located among the trees instead, but Grunt was never one to care about such niceties. Instead, he thrummed a contemplative not in the back of his throat and pressed harder with his teeth until the bone snapped into rather unequal pieces with a satisfying crack of splintered sound. He was growing frustrated with his attempt, not really certain were he wanted to go with it, if anywhere at all, and was finding a useful outlet for his frustration. It was only as he spat out the bit in his mouth and began to suck at the marrow within that he realised he’d just ruined the centrepiece he had been considering adding to the muddle.

That was it! Grunt snarled, the rasping vibration echoing among the storm darkened branches and leaving silence in its wake. Sweeping his hands back and forth in sharp gestures to utterly destroyed the lines of bone that had vaguely approximating a tree and, well, something else, and scattering them about in the process. Then, just because his sister was still there and didn’t have at all the same problem he was trying to overcome, he grabbed a hoof and threw it at her. His long teeth were bared in a challenge and he rumbled a low, dangerous invitation he knew she would accept.

GP

Name
    Snatch
    Race
    Satuul
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Pale gold
    Build
    4' when standing tall / 78 lb
    Job
    Being a bother

It was quiet. The wind brushed branches the wrong way and ran on as the ancient trees complained slowly about impetuous youngsters and their wild ways. Too quiet. Though small birds chirped and whistled to one another across the tiny stretches of open sky, the silence was almost oppressing. It could weigh down on a being; squash them flat beneath its invisible, oppressive foot with one stomp of oppressiveness. Snatch’s mouth was full. A demon could only chew so loud and Snatch wasn’t really trying. She could appreciate the beauty held within a single peaceful moment as much as the next Satuul, so she did. The gentle breeze rustled through her long hair, choughing against a bit of antler, bumping into a sparrow’s fragile skull and tapping her gently on the shoulder. For a second, Snatch closed her large, luminous eyes to block out the diffused light and scented the air.

Death filled her nostrils, death and blood. She swallowed and bit deep. The bone cracked heartily between her teeth, splintering as it released the sweet marrow she always saved for last. Spitting out the useless bits, Snatch chuckled rudely to herself. “Mmhmm. Good meal that. Deer are fat here, yes, oh yes they are.” Before losing sight of the small pieces in the short, but annoyingly shadowed grass, she picked through them. Long fingers tossed the too little splinters over her shoulder with hateful murmurs. “Too small. Hate shape. Too small, Too small. Stupid small.” Useless, the entire lot was useless. With hair already weighed down by bits and bobs, Snatch was forced to be picky. Still, the disappointment of not having something to think about putting in her hair stung. “Stupid, stupid. Fat deer with bad bones. Stupid and no use.”

Ripping up the grass, bone, dirt and all and throwing the cumbersome handful at a tree seemed like a wonderful solution. Especially when it made such a satisfying spludding sound. Grunting in something akin to glee, she glanced over at her brother and his current work of art. He appeared to be wishing to do precisely the same thing with his bones, but Snatch couldn’t see any way he would manage to pick them all up in one hand. Her low, melodious voice said as much quite clearly. “You have trouble picking them all up. Lots of trouble.” The continuation of her speech was a tiny bit muffled as she dug meat out from beneath her nails with her teeth. “Hafta t’row ‘em one ‘ time.” Thankfully though, for anyone who was actually the bit interested in what she had to say, which, at that precise moment, amounted to a grand total of no one, Snatch always spoke slowly and carefully. “They’d go thud, thud... Heeheehee... Would take a long tie. Yes, oh yes. Stupid long.”

At which point, Grunt promptly, and perhaps with a touch of resignation, told her to shut up. She listened. He was her brother after all; he fixed her hair when it got too tangled. They were soul bound and he was trying to think. According to her carefully made observations, Grunt thought better when there was quiet to be had, but she couldn’t help the encouraging hum as a counter pint to his thrumming thoughts. So it was into this oscillating and tenuous quiet that Grunt unleashed his frustrations. Snatch happily avoided the flying hoof, eagerly growled back and stalked closer.
    A large, cold raindrop had waited until that precise moment to pounce and hit her suddenly and squarely on the nose. Huffing in something akin to shock, she shook her head violently and took a step back before glaring at Grunt and just daring him to laugh. “Stupid rain.” Crouching down, she grabbed a massive stick and hurled it at her brother before quickly following behind, jaws wide to bite his shoulder. If he wanted to play, then they could play. Oh yes!

Silence.... For one brief, amazing moment he could hear only his own thoughts and it was wonderful. Or at least, it would have been wonderful if his thoughts hadn’t been saying that he was not going to succeed in this, his many times second, attempt and wasn’t going to no matter how many times he tried. Grunt, of course, wasn’t about to believe such things too many times, but just now, he had to admit that this was beginning to try his fairly large supply of patience. So, he’d decided that Snatch’s solution was genius, which logically concluded in the bones being stirred up into a new, abstract pattern he no longer cared about. That had been fun, but it ended far too quickly and offered little for him to vent his frustrations on. His sister however...

Very promptly accepted his challenge and very nearly had him too amused to be annoyed as the rain suddenly decided to make its presence known. The Satuul had scented it on the wind long enough before it arrived to wonder if he felt like getting wet, decide he didn’t care and then get tired of waiting. But it was here now and, after the first desultory, half-hearted rips, it seemed that everything was suddenly drenched. Of course he flinched away from the downpour, although that made more sense than getting scared by one, tiny, unimportant drop. Grunt just stared straight back at her glare, squinting his eyes against the curtain of refracted light that moved between them. He knew exactly what she was annoyed about and couldn’t quite give up the chance to ensure she’d give as good as she got.

Blinking, slowly, almost lazily as trickles became miniature rivers along his skin and the rain came heavily enough to feel like a massage against his back and scalp, he dropped his lower jaw and snorted. Rain water sprayed up instead of down, pooling on his tongue as it ran over hand between his open lips. It tasted sweet and cool, like the wind that had brought it, fresh and, unfortunately, wet. He’d decided that he did mind getting wet after all and, had he not just settled himself into a ready position for action, he might have considered running around crazily until he found shelter. Probably wouldn’t have gone through with it then either, but it would have been worth thinking about. It was far too late now though, because his laughter had had its desired result and what looked like a log was coming very close to his face.

An instinctively quick reaction brought his hand up, swiping through the air and sending the stick, which on the chance of a closer inspection wasn’t nearly as big as he’d thought it was, crashing into a tree instead. But in the course of saving himself from a bruised face, he got distracted from the real threat. So, although he registered the narrowing space between himself and Snatch, he had time only for ducking his head and dropping his arm. Which had the added advantage of placing his hand on her face. Then she collided with him and the love they shared was about as evident as a dry space big enough to step on was. Grunt gave a vague, rather airy growling protest of the loss of his balance as he pushed against her muzzle and tumbled over backwards with her on top.

The dirt cushioned his fall enough that he kept his breath, but even his thick skin wasn’t immune to the discomfort of the numerous pokey bits strung through his long hair digging into his back. Thrashing beneath her, Grunt felt his elbow pushing into the newly made muck around them and a tree lost its bar to the talons of his back feet as he struggled to bring himself nearer its trunk. Cruelly disregarding the viscous tug of his own weight on his hair, Grunt very carefully kept from letting it pull his head back. He didn’t plan on surrendering so easily and Snatch would never believe he’d bared his throat by accident. Sharp claws swept furrows through the skin of his chest and he could barely make anything out of his sister, the rain stung his eyes and she was too close.

Yet her breath was still warm on his hands as he scrambled to keep her teeth clear of wherever she was planning on putting them, they slipped free continuously in the wet, but he managed until, finally, his other elbow came into direct contact with the ground and he could heave himself up. Using the sudden momentum he’d found, the young demon thrust his head against the first bit of flesh he could find beneath her chin, whether it was her throat or her chest, her couldn’t tell. But he took the chance to draw his legs i in under him as he pushed against her, digging both talons and toes into the ground their bodies had kept relatively dry and struggling back into the crouch she’d forced him to abandon. Keeping his contact with her, though he’d replaced his head with both hands on her shoulders, he kept on shoving, hoping he’d catch her wrong-footed and gain the upper hand.

Grunt’s ears were pinned flat to his skull and his back was covered in grass and mud while his front was a field of broken skin and watered blood, though the rain was working hard to wash it all off. But he was certain that he was feeling her struggle harder, a sure sign he was almost winning. He bared his fangs and snarled as loudly as he could in what might have been hope.

GP

Name
    Snatch
    Race
    Satuul
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Pale gold
    Build
    4' when standing tall / 78 lb
    Job
    Being a bother

Grunt’s laughter helped matters very little. It wasn’t anger that propelled her attack, anger very rarely had anything to do with Snatch’s actions. Swirling through her mind was a mixture of sisterly affection and a desperate desire to wipe that nasty look off his face. Typical male temerity! The boy had some gall! In all likelihood, she would have laughed at Grunt in a similar situation; laughed, howled and then sung about it at a later date, but he would have attacked her too. Well, that or ignored her completely. Apparently, such choices were subject to the direction of the wind...or something.

Throwing her all into the play fight, Snatch tried to grab his hand with her teeth, break a couple fingers and cause pain, but slavering all over his palm was the best she could manage. What was it about flat objects that made them so difficult to bite? Still, at least her claws found purchase in his scrawny little chest. None of them were long enough to break all the way through his skin, but it still felt good. Pushing hard against his hand, she scrabbled to stay on top of him, her feet slipping along the sodden grass and mud. Spirits, but she despised train! It soaked her hair, dripped into her eyes so she couldn’t see, washed away the scent of prey, flooded streams, made the ground slippery and soaked her hair. It was stupid!

In an attempt to shake the rain out of her eyes, Snatch pulled back and squeaked in surprise when his head rammed her chest and forced her to step back or fall over. “Ow.Going be sore breathing next light.” His renewed attack nearly sent her skidding into a tree and she growled at him, eyes narrowed against the falling wet.

Then, as suddenly as the fight had started, it was over. The tree that had so handily taken a trunk-full of dirt and bone, courtesy of Snatch, had apparently taken some small offence. Tripping over a root is an embarrassing way to go. At least she’d managed to disentangle herself from Grunt first so she could spin and land on her hands, albeit awkwardly. And there, looking back up at her with a vain glimmer was something sparkly, pretty. Baring her throat to Grunt, Snatch ended the match without looking up and scuttled away, sparkly thing in hand. In this, the rain was her friend. It washed the off the gold ring with relative speed and a bit of help from impatient fingers.

“Pretty, pretty, pretty. What is? I think not know, but is pretty. Snatch find, Snatch keep. Pretty mine.” Glancing back at poor, dishevelled Grunt, she noted the scratches on his front and pursed her lips in quiet apology. They’d be good by morning. “Grunt come, see pretty.” She would help spread the small-blood on his chest so it would harden faster, even in the rain, and heal more quickly. “You be good fast, when rain gone, then you put pretty in Snatch’s hair. Yes? Yes. Pretty be pretty in Snatch’s hair. Pretty, pretty. Now. Now you say story of rain.” She was nearly crooning in her contentment. “Say story of rain way Mother say it.” Snatch asked her him to tell her the story of how the rain came to be to pass the time. They wouldn’t be finding true shelter from the cold and wet anytime soon, so it made sense to wait it out.

When the rain was gone, her hair would dry and Grunt would braid the lost ring into it. He could even redo the entire pattern if he wanted to. That would be fun. As she sat on the flooded soil, Snatch sighed and looked at the sparkling metal on her palm. “Pretty.”

GP

Name
    Elias Underbright
    Race
    Salvar
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'9"/210lb
    Job
    Dowser

My apologies for the length of this critique, but I figure that the more I write, the more might be useful to you! This has been reviewed by Atraxis, and scores have been verified by several other judges. Your final score was a 9.45/15, so read on to find out what contributed to it.

Story is the first category, out of five points, and encompasses Continuity, Setting, and Pacing.

Continuity is the section regarding the background of who your character is and where they came from, without a good bit of reflection on your back story it’s difficult for the reader to understand most other categories that are also being looked over.

Without looking at your character sheets, which I admit I did not, I found it difficult to fully imagine what a Satuul was. Based on the bits I picked up, they have muzzles, long but anthropomorphic hands, and aviamorphic talons. I also assumed that they had short upper bodies and haunches, so as to first allow and then make comfortable Grunt's supine-to-crouch position shift. However, not knowing puts the reader in a very difficult position, as you may very well have meant a more anthropomorphic, rather than bestial image (I imagined a gray furred, barrel-chested, stout wolf with bird-like hind feet, humanesque hands, and a large, wide, outward-fanged wolf head (with maybe red eyes)). Since this is my first ever acquaintance with Satuuls, I don't know where or why the race originated or what a soul-bond between two Satuuls entails. I also didn't find any mention of why Grunt and Snatch were in the forest, other than my assumption that they were hungry and came to hunt. However, before arriving at a tournament like Althanas Invitational I would assume these two characters had some sort of occupation - even if they were just the resident demons of this forest. Even short mention of the "why" would have given me a better sense of the events that precede this scene, as I know that 2000 words is a tight limit.

My personal thoughts on continuity (though a better word for the subject of this particular comment is consistency) are that each detail needs to either be explicitly or implicitly changed through the writing, or it must remain static, even through different writers' posts. The detail that caught my eye that almost didn't do this was Snatch's chatter, which Grunt suggested had been kept up for the better part of the afternoon. Snatch, which later on her behavior reinforced this, started out in post (2) as a very quiet being in a forest that was too quiet, with her chatter almost as an afterthought. If she, as a fellow Satuul, appreciated quiet, then her chatter might be uncharacteristic of the race (but I don't know this due to lacking description of Satuuls), or the quiet period before her approval of the deer would be uncharacteristic of her (who manages to speak even while eating) (if she is a chatter-box). It sounds like I'm nitpicking, but this particular bit wont affect your Story score - I'm elaborating for your benefit only. Let me know if I lost you here.

Setting is the part of the judging that is pretty much self explanatory. A good setting not only shows the reader as well as the participants of the thread were you are and what’s around, but also involves the tactical and practical use of the setting your character is interacting with.

The setting that you produced was composed of a forest, wind, storm clouds, rain, and muddy ground, and evolved as you went along. A good setting, to quote the general rubric of Althanas, is not a canvas on which you paint a story -- it is a world in which you ACT a story, and I found this particular criterion well satisfied. The quickly muddied ground (yielded by the sudden downpour) was very indicative of the strength of the rain, so even though Grunt's thoughts told the reader about the rain, this detail showed it. When limited in your wordcount, showing is not always explicitly possible, so I applaud the use of telling with showing, rather than just telling. I was able to visualize the base of Grunt's tree where he worked on a bone picture, so good imagery there.

However, apart from "fat" I could not picture the deer that the actors were eating, because no mention of it's carcass was made. I was told of one thighbone, one hoof, and a lot of otherwise small bones, but the rest of the deer was missing. Even mentioning "the carcass beside them" in some fashion would have been enough to fill out that void of the setting. As well I could not quite imagine the forest past Grunt's tree (which might be my issue rather than yours), but I found absent any descriptions of the type of trees (their height, the breadth of their canopies, the shape of their leaves, for example). Even additions of modifiers like "oak" or "tall" or "widely spaced" for any of the mentions of "trees" (or a modifier for the type of bark or leaves under Grunt) would have sufficed to let me imagine more of the forest itself. While the height and type of the trees are not directly incident on the action (and thus by Chekhov's Gun may not be necessary), the spacing between the trees is important, as densely packed trees may have impacted the actors' scuffle, and I as the reader may very well imagine a forest as either dense or bare. Even just a few short descriptors for things that aren't integral to your action will allow your readers to imagine the rest of the details for themselves, while a lack of details will place your action on a black backdrop in their minds (or at least it did in my mind).

On the other hand, the wind worked well as a warning for the oncoming storm, so apart from some grammar issues that I'll touch up on in the Writing section, the wind was well described (though perhaps a bit too "quiet" if the cloud that rode it brought so much rain so quickly. But those are just my preconceptions and I am not a wind expert ). I applaud the various anthropomorphic descriptors for the wind like "whispering" and "rustling" but I am not quite sure if a breeze can "cough" or "bump". So while I encourage colorful imagery as that produced by anthropomorphism, it might be prudent to limit yourselves to comparisons that are either generally accepted (wind can whisper, wind can howl, etc), or ones that aren't too hard to imagine (rain can beat out a melody, for example). This particular comment I'll bring up in Writing Style, and it wont negatively affect your Story score.

Final section of Story is the Pacing. This is the most complex of parts to analyze, normally. However, in a battle the pacing of the story is the intent of the writer to keep the reader on the edge of their seats, build the suspense well, and let it dwindle correctly.

While it should be the most difficult part to analyze, I did not get bored enough to skim (and most published authors get to skim rather often when there isn't dialogue), so I applaud the pacing overall (It was brought to my attention that you went 700 words over the limit, but you did not drone, so I am waiving the penalty). Each post, while reinforcing or explaining the actions of the previous post also advanced the action, which was good. I had a good sense of the actions leading up to the battle, became well acquainted with the major strokes within the battle, and was able to easily understand the end of the battle. However, I found issue with the first battle post (3). Bunnying is greatly discouraged on Anthanas (and elsewhere in the RP community), but I understand that you two, as teammates, had a chance to discuss the actions before putting them down, so I wont fault you for writing some of each others' characters' actions/reactions. However, that one post (3) had too many actions pressed too close together such that I could not follow them until I read the next post (4) and reread the previous post (2).
    1. Log (but really a stick) is thrown (by Snatch) at Grunt
    2. Grunt deflects stick into tree
    3. Snatch closes the distance between them with a run
    4. Grunt ducked his head and dropped his deflecting arm down to catch Snatch's face
    5. They collide and Grunt gets knocked onto his back, while pushing back Snatch's muzzle
    6. Grunt thrashes and manages to get an elbow on the ground and pushes off (while on his back) forwards to a tree, while scratching it with his hind talons
    7. Snatch claws Grunt's chest (primary attack by Snatch)
    8. Snatch frees her muzzle of Grunt's other hand
    9. Grunt finds the ground with both elbows and pushes off while pulling his feet under him, forcing himself into a crouch
    10. Grunt catches Snatch on the shoulders and pushes so as to get her off balance

I'm not saying that 10 (and I may have missed a few small actions as well) is too many, but placing them into just three paragraphs (which also had other descriptions in them) made the sequence rather difficult to follow. I had to reread (so as to critique) that portion twice and then work through it sentence by sentence before I was able to imagine the action as something more than a blur - you should aim to clarify those actions a bit more, so that a reader can imagine them off of the first reading. A couple of times in that sequence an action (like #9) was implied by the situation and the next event, but just because Grunt was able to push off does not mean that I as the reader will assume that he did unless I know he had no alternative. So while I am reading the rest of the passage I am wondering whether he did or did not push off rather than imagining the next action. Keep in mind here that I am reading with no prior knowledge; you first imagined, and then wrote that image down with everything clear in your mind. As a result, you had many details in your mind that you didn't have room to write, and you may have omitted some details which, had you written, would have made the action much clearer to the reader. It is hard to get a dedicated editor (and I wish I had one for myself!), but to determine if your actions need clarification just give them to a friend to read and ask them their thoughts after just one read-through.

A 2.5 is the norm for this section, and I have waited until the end of the section to score you so that you aren't fazed by the numbers. Despite the problems that I found and identified, your ability to keep my interest and the various things you did well suggest that I should score you higher.
    2.95/5 for Story.

Character is the second category, out of five points, and encompasses Dialogue, Action, and Persona.

Dialogue is self explanatory, what you say, but it is not just that simple either. Dialogue pertains to whether your character is speaking in ways that make sense. A quiet character wouldn’t talk a lot, but maybe have inner thoughts instead, a cocksure character might stop in the middle of a fight to talk a lot, or a character whose persona isn’t either probably wouldn’t pull away from conflict to give a long speech.

Indeed, the dialogue was spot on. Grunt, who actually grunted once or twice, snarled, and only spoke once, matched his personality very well. Having been described as intent on his "art" and looking for silence so as to concentrate, his quiet demeanor was punctuated by his lack of speeches. Snatch, which was told to shut up for all of her chatter, did little other, speechwise, than chatter. Even in the heat of battle she took a moment to comment on her fall as she was recovering from it, which a reader might expect from a talkative character, so good work.

Action is a matter of following actions and a direction that makes sense for your character. If your character is a powerhouse then his actions sulking and hiding wouldn’t make much sense, same goes for if your character is a spy or assassin, up front confrontation wouldn’t make sense either.

Persona is how well you keep ‘in character’, it is not just a part controlled by what you say your character does, but how he performs actions and why he does so. This section is contributed to by dialogue, action, pacing, continuity, and to a degree setting.

These are the two sections I meant when I mentioned consistency earlier: whenever you mention a detail, whether it is old or new, it needs to fall into place with all of the other details. So when the afternoon was described as filled with chatter, and then Snatch only started up the chatter a little bit before being told to shut up, the slight inconsistency caught my eye. This particular detail isn't a major problem that would ruin a duel, but anything that might unbalance the reader as it did me is a good thing to avoid. Admittedly, the only bit that might be considered inconsistent is the quiet brought on by the wind before Snatch began to chatter, but even a reinforcement that she had only briefly stopped to listen to the eerie quiet of the wind would have dispelled by confusion. I this was small (and could have been an oversight by me), so it wont affect the scoring.

Otherwise, I found both characters' action indicative of their personalities, like Grunt's refusal to surrender and Snatch's choice to surrender so as to grab at a shiny ring. Overall a GREAT job on character. Since Continuity in the Story section took care of your lack of description of the Satuul Race, it wouldn't make sense to dock you here as well. The characters were consistent with themselves, with each other, and with each others' perceptions of themselves. They had thoughts, emotions, and realistic reactions and actions. Nor were they stock characters!
    4.00/5 for Character.

Writing Style is the last category, out of five points, and encompasses Technique, Mechanics, and Clarity.

Technique is the section that we delve into your personal style of writing, in regards to ‘advanced’ styles of writing. The use of alliteration, foreshadowing, and metaphors or similes are going to heighten this score. Of course, stylistic uses of technique that go against proper grammar are also goo ways to use Technique, and will not be counted against you in the next section.

There was some good and some bad Technique. The anthropomorphism of wind was used with good intent, but wind and breeze and the like are generally anthro'd with loudness. The wind can howl, scream, whisper, sing. However, unless the wind is a spirit, it is unlikely to go so far as to cough or tap someone on the shoulder. As well, there was some thesaurus work that didn't go the right way (or at least are not used as prescribed):

"...making them sway and whip their leaves about in admonishments and irritation."
    Admonishment means reprimand, but is not a word of wide circulation. If you had said that the leaves "responded with rustling reprimands" then your meaning would be both clearer and poetic, rather than lost in a synonym..

"So it was into this oscillating and tenuous quiet that Grunt unleashed his frustrations."
    Oscillating means moving back and forth between two states, for example roaring and quiet wind or a repeatedly broken silence might be considered oscillating. Tenuous means thin and insubstantial, so the silence just isn't a dead silence. With analysis, a reader might deduce that the atmosphere was gaining some faint new noise (the approaching rain), but it is unclear where the oscillations came in.

"...after the first desultory, half-hearted rips, it seemed that everything was suddenly drenched."
    Desultory means an action marked by lack of definite plan or regularity or purpose, so analytically you are correct. However, it is commonly applied to things like "desultory thoughts", "the desultory conversation", whereas the desultory drips of rain means either irregular in time or in space. Describing the drips as "rare and irregular" would have been much clearer, even though your meaning was discernible from context. (Also, a type like drips -> rips can easily ruin a sentence, as the reader has to figure out if this is a literary technique or if it is a mistake).

"Typical male temerity!"
    Both audacity and temerity can be defined as fearless daring, but audacity is also defined as aggressive boldness or unmitigated effrontery. Grunt's laughter is thus audacious in the later sense, while a warrior's resolve to save the princess from the dragon might be typical male temerity (from the point of view of the princess) or typical male audacity (from the point of view of the cynical sidekick). In my personal opinion though, something like brutishness, insensitivity, or crudeness would be more appropriate to describe a brother's laughter at a sister's shock of getting hit with a rain drop, especially considering that there is not great gap in power (physical or that of status) that would put Grunt beneath Snatch that his laughter would be audacious (whereas, if he were servant to the queen and Snatch was the queen, he really would have been audacious).

There may have been others that I noticed before but cannot find now, so just keep in mind to either use more common words, or to double check both the definitions and the usage in context of less mainstream synonyms.

I did see some great things, like "Then she collided with him and the love they shared was about as evident as a dry space big enough to step on was." There were also quite a few simple metaphors and such that spiced up the writing, so don't think that my qualms with the word choice were all that was on my mind.

"...the silence was almost oppressing. It could weigh down on a being; squash them flat beneath its invisible, oppressive foot with one stomp of oppressiveness." I fight thought this was poor repetition but Snatch's well described personality almost immediately made me reconsider that as her personal thoughts. However, when shifting from narration as the omniscient narrator to the character it might be prudent to mark that shift with things like "she thought" or "by Snatch's observation" or even just setting that section in italics to signify thoughts. I counted this one as positive as it added to Snatch's character!

Mechanics is the grammatically correct part of the judgment. How many mistakes you made with spelling, punctuation, and other mistakes is how this section is scored.

I didn't actually count your mistakes, nor will I list the spelling errors or typos, as those are not premeditated. However, in both player's posts the mistakes were rarer in the beginning and thicker near the middle and end. Most people who type (and read) begin slowly and then speed up as they get into the "groove", making it much easier to err or to miss those errors when proofreading. Watching the screen as you type (rather than the keyboard) and purposefully slowing down as you get deeper into proofreading will both help eliminate missed or extra letters and spaces.

The most glaring problem with grammar that I found was the overuse of fragments for literary style. Nouns like "Silence." or descriptors like "Inconceivable!" are generally allowable fragments, but such fragments as "Heralding the rain that came after it with the sort of patient persistence most clouds possess." are grammatically incorrect. What? was heralding the rain? Obviously the wind, of course, but either "the wind" or "it" then needs to play the role of the subject.

There was also the word 'spludding', but because you used it to describe a noise I commend your use of onomatopoeia! (So a plus in the Technique category!)

I also enjoyed the use of 'the quiet' to replace 'silence' or 'the wet' to replace 'wetness' as in both cases I got a sense of Satuul mentality while still seeing the object of reference. Still, using the common nouns (silence, wetness/rain/etc) would have been an acceptable replacement for the stylistic ones whenever using the omniscient narrator rather than the character narrator voice, so as to reduce repetition.

Clarity is by far the most simple to judge. Were all the other sections clear? Was the way you told the story clear? Was your writing clear? That is what the entire section of clarity is about.

Apart from the thick string of actions that I commented on in Story (Pacing) the only unclear element was the wind: while I understood that the wind was present and blowing and quiet, it was described more than, say, the trees it was blowing past. I found that with that much description it was over-described - I could not quite tell what it was doing apart from being quiet, nor did I see that it needed to do anything worth describing apart from being indicative of the "calm before the storm" (which was a good cliche to have avoided, actually, so congratulations on that point!).

In fact, there weren't are cliches that I could easily identify, whether circumstantial or directly phrased, which is surely a feat in and of itself. Writing Style is a difficult category to score high on but easy to score low on - scoring dead-center means that the writing was worth reading as the very least, and had enough praise-worthy elements that any errors in syntax, omissions, or mistakes were balanced out.
    2.5/5 for Writing Style

All in all, 9.45/15 for the trial! (Great job!)

Keep in mind that this is not congruous with the A-F scale used in (at least) the USA school system; the 75% that corresponds to a C there corresponds to a 50% here so that we have the full range to work with. And while in some elitist schools the aim is an A, keep in mind that writing cannot be 100% the best, as there is no golden text that embodies perfection. Many writers who have been published are only average writers and lucky enough to have good editors, and RP forum members are not expected to be published writers. So a 50% is not a demeaning score but a praiseworthy one, so if you happen to score around a 7 don't despair and keep on pluggin'. If you're beneath that then there is work for you to do, and if you are above that then you still have a long ways to go before you reach that unattainable perfect score.

Also, while the policy might be to keep comment to judges in PMs, you put your work out for public critique and I would think it unfair if I put my critique up without giving you a chance to respond to it. While I am not perfect, I have made my judgments based primarily on my first reading of your work, as were it in a book I would not likely pass back to reread every passage for clarity, so keep this in mind if you choose to contest my judgments or explain your reasons for what I thought were errors. So, just as I hope my critique will make you better writers, please feel free to reply to (or critique) me either via PM or even here so that I may become better at judging. This judgment has been approved so your scores are final (for this prelim, and thus don't matter much), but I would be willing to discuss anything else, especially if you think I have wrongly appraised your work.

Kudos on the high score, and I hope you fare even better in the next round!