Hair Color
    Light blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Job
    Wizard for hire, freelance alchemist, translator, navigator, and archivist

Hear Us Now, We Weary Few -Official Raiaeran Metaplay-

Out of Character:
    This will serve as a chance for you to give a fully-RPed summary of your character's actions during Chapter Two of the FQ. The prompt here is to reminisce about what you've done upon hearing Nalith's call...or, for the few of you with the immoral stones to work for our resident Big Bad, Nalith's challenge. Thread will be completely open after this post. I request that you write your posts; if you and someone else decide to RP, keep it down to one or two posts each to avoid cluttering the thread.

Every post here will help to decide what is considered solid canon for the FQ. Be sure to link to your threads somewhere in your posts. There will also be a prize/bonus for the Best Post of the thread. Don't worry about whether or not your thread has been completed; anything incomplete right now will just go into judgement for Chapter Three of the FQ. Bonus points if you actually work your recap into a side-scene/outtake from one of your RPs (ie Joe Bob is in the middle of questing for Shiny Thing X and when the call comes, he's on guard duty gnawing on a chicken leg and just can't help but to remember the time when...)

tl;dr Clipshow thread, GO.

-Hear Us Now, We Weary Few-

Tirinost, Eluceliniel, Raiaera
    Dusk

Tirinost was not as it had been. Where there had been a mere villa surrounded by a small, relaxed village out in the wilderness, now there was a fortress at the heart of a tent city in the middle of a carefully reshaped forest.

The woods had moved, as if they'd uprooted themselves in the middle of the night and packed together tightly enough to create great walls out of nature's own will to survive. Their branches had reshaped into solid battlements, and their bark had thickened and hardened around eldritch scars. Each one bore musical notes etched into it at some point in the past, flowing together in a tune that would have been beautiful to hear on any instrument. There were few roads in or out.

Beyond the wood were the beginnings of a full city: Crops being grown, a lake so deep that not even magic could measure it, and tents. Everywhere, tents. Big tents, small tents, filthy tents, but no clean tents. Some of them till had blood stains or mud caked into their lining. Further in were crops, and a few actual houses that had, once upon a time, been homes. They now bore signs of war: A makeshift hospital, a smithy, several farms and just the one auction house at the center of an improvised shopping district.

Elves were everywhere, comprising the vast majority of the newfounded city's population. Their men and women broke their backs in the fields. Their children played the war-games and sang the plague-songs of innocence lost.

"Ashes, ashes..."

Fighters dominated the scenery. Heroes in Bladesinger armor sometimes stopped to demonstrate for the refugees, to perform, and to teach. The Wanderers spread their gospels of eldritch lore to the masses; imposing, almost alien figures who harkened back to a time when the Elves were wild and the race not yet split between the fair Raiaerans and the endarkened Drow. Rangers prowled about, their swords sheathed and their bows idle and arrows rested, but their nerves on edge and their eyes accusing and their faces grim and listless. Soldiers patrolled, neither heroic, imposing, or mysterious. Just the men and women of a tattered nation, taking up arms and armor to defend what little remained of it.

Further in and there were real walls. Stone ones, dating back to the first era, when Tirinost wasn't a resort village but a cold-blooded fortress standing against the fury of gods and men alike. Huge and archaic and very much a work in progress as labourers toiled their days and nights away to restore it brick by brick, cobble by cobble, spell by spell. All who could be spared from the fields and the sword worked the wall, and not even children and the wounded were fully above recruitment.

Beyond the wall, there stood the original fortress-villa, long since returned to its roots. Sleek and organic and altogether mystical. Gone were all the flimsy bits that had been passed down from owner to owner over the centuries of peace. Cold iron replaced much of its artistic architecture. Flimsy furniture and timeless artwork, priceless just a few months ago, had been chucked out of the windows and salvaged for anything that could be burned or turned into a weapon. Gone was the polish, gone was the gleam, farewell to that old Elven glamour. What remained was a fortress, its floors bare and its rooms lit by secure torches, and its walls covered not in art but in six foot long Elven runes of protection and faith.

At its heart, this new fortress -- this old Tirinost, standing at the center of the tent city Eluceliniel -- bore a great and terrible pipe organ. Bigger than any of the houses, bigger than any of the trees. It ran so far underground that it was probably bigger than the building that housed it. Tir-Eltharin vol Istien: The Lord Harbinger of Song.

In the room where it was to be played, the floor had been cleared and covered in musical notes and the lines connecting them. Only candles now stood, aligned to nine of the twenty-seven points of the Raiaeran Compass -- the Earthly points, to be specific. Just as there were nine points, there were nine Elves -- nine and one more.

Three Wanderers, Seers and a Bard. Three Bladesingers, old hands of Istien University. Three Rangers, defenders and knowledge brokers.

And the Lady General herself, Nalith Celiniel, sole survivor of the last High Bard Council. The Woman of Fire, who had almost singlehandedly kept Raiaeran civilization distantly intact. She wore her armor, she bore her sword, and she stood before her bow with an arrow in hand.

"Are you sure that this will work," she would have asked if she were anything but an Elf. Instead, it was more of an order than anything else.

"Absolutely," spoke the Seers, who even now danced a cautious, flawless circle around eight points of the compass.

The circle began to glow, and Nalith needed no further confirmation. She nodded sharply to the Bard, and he bowed in turn. He touched Tir-Eltharin's ancient bone keys with a reverence that transcended mere religious devotion. Gently at first, as if rousing a loved one from the grave. Then harder, but still slow. Beyond Tirinost's walls, the city of Eluceliniel began to shudder. Faster he played, the shudder became a low level earthquake. Faster still, and a tune took shape among the tremors.

Harder, and part of Tirinost's peacetime roof blew off in a geyser of raw emerald fire that stretched for a mile into the early night sky, tinting the stars green and casting shadows that stretched far as the mind could fathom. Music -- actual music -- came a few seconds later. It was an ancient song. Something so old and powerful that it resonated deeper than mere eardrums and braincells; it struck chords in the soul, and even in blackened pits where souls used to be or never were to begin with. The song was called, Sar vol Taerol, the Tap of Creation, because it was created when that primal force was shattered. And Tir-Eltharin was one of the only relics left that could touch it.

Once established, the song was not loud, nor did the fire burn so brightly. It played gently upon the ears, upon the mind, upon the heart and soul. It was the requiem and the wedding song; mourning and hope; the binding of broken hearts.

It was Nalith's medium.

"Now," she said, and the Seers stopped their dance and thrust open hands at each other from opposite sides of the circle. Space and time rippled between them, forming into a perfectly two-dimensional circle that only existed in front of Nalith's eyes. She took up her bow and blessed her arrow one last time.

Then she fired it into the circle, and into the Tap itself.

A few seconds later, the High Bard began to speak, and not a person left in Raiaera -- not a soul touched by its bloody struggle for survival -- could shut her out.

"Here me now, you weary few, for the call goes out this night. Hear us now, we weary few, for the will to end this fight.

"I am Nalith Celiniel, High Bard and Lady General of the Raiaeran Nation. I speak to you now, our allies and our friends, our lovers and our lost. You who have sacrificed so much, that so few may yet endure. Hear me as well, my blighted foes, for your time in this land will soon be at an end.

"We stand at a crossroads, you and I. Our blades are chipped, our wills falter, our hopes are dashed and our lands are desecrated. But we live. And while we live, there is hope. A new year comes, a new dawn will rise. Stay strong. The end is nigh. For in two weeks hence, we will gather our forces to mount an assault upon Xem'zund's own. It does not matter where. It does not matter how. It only matters that it will happen, and it will be decisive.

"Champions of Raiaera, I wish I could say more, but time grows short. Bind up your broken hearts. Raise your torches on high, and hear us now, we weary few. We are connected, in darkest night and sullen dawn. We are one, and our blades will sing and our minds will wander and our shots will be true.

"Stand strong. Stand proud. Never forget what we and you and all of us have lost in order to get to where we are now. The Stars are with us again, brothers and sisters in arms, and strange aeons lie in waiting."

The song didn't stop. The music of creation never stops. It merely faded away, taking with it Nalith's words and the brilliant flame that preceded them.

A few seconds later, the Wandering Bard dropped dead from his seat. Nalith sighed and clasped a hand under her chin. "Even death may die," she said to herself as she left the room, flanked by Bladesingers and Rangers alike. The Seers stayed behind to tend to the Bard's corpse.

They didn't have much work to do, of course.

It was hollow from the inside out.

Out of Character:
    Editorial Note: The two week figure is regarded as in-character time. Chapter Three happens when Chapter Three happens.
    Last edited by Caden Law; 12-28-08 at 01:17 AM.
    RPs to Date
    Items or EXP listed until profile updates are made.

Stairway to Heaven - Complete.
    Into Yesterday - In Progress.

Be the Hero you can be.
    EXP: 90,981, Level: 13
    Level completed: 8%, EXP required for next level: 13,019
    Level completed: 8%,
    EXP required for next level: 13,019
    GP

Name
    Nanashi (Ingwe Helyanwe)
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black-Brown
    Eye Color
    Black-Brown
    Build
    178cm / 70kg
    Job
    Shusai, Kensai, Monjutsushi

View Profile
    Out of Character:
    Takes place immediately after the events of this gaiden.

Somewhere near Anebrilith, Raiaera
    Early night

Lord Arminas was as good as his word, as he always was. Despite the fact that Ingwe looked anything but sane when he burst into the tent, and despite the fact that the young man had no hard evidence whatsoever for his suspicions, the elflord captain of the Rangers of the Eclipse agreed immediately to bolster the number of sentries on duty and prepare for the worst. Perhaps it was simple common sense, or perhaps Nogeres’s silent but unequivocal support for the Nipponese warrior-mage did something to sway him. No doubt, however, that Ingwe’s surprise showed, and after Eru was dispatched to rouse some of the Rangers and send them to the perimeter, the nominal leader of the Legion of Light turned back to the young man and smiled.

“Your face betrays you, mellonamin,” he spoke, indicating that Ingwe should take a seat upon the cushioned ground. This the Nipponese did, carefully settling himself next to the wizened mage and opposite the elf. “You wonder why I listen to you without a shadow of doubt.”

The words were a statement, not a question, and as such Ingwe did not acknowledge them verbally. Instead he nodded, politely, but keen to know the answer. Beside him Nogeres coughed harshly, momentarily disturbing the serenity of the peaceful night.

“Other men would not be so surprised,” Arminas continued, smiling again benignly. “Ever since you saved our ships before we had even reached Anebrilith, ever since you mustered the survivors of your shipwreck and guided them to the city under greatly arduous circumstances, I have ever hearkened to your valuable counsel. Though you are but a boy even in human years, your words hold maturity and intelligence that I have rarely seen in one of the edain.”

At this point, Arminas glanced pointedly at Nogeres; Ingwe could have sworn that the mage was hiding a discreet smile behind his flowing grey beard. The elflord swept to his feet gracefully, trailing olive green robe and long dark brown hair as he walked to the tent flap.

“Not only are you wise, Ingwe, but you are also a diligent student and a quick learner. Do not think that I have missed the bruises you bear from sparring with Glorfindel and Selinde, or that your daily attempts at developing your magic go unnoticed. Nogeres here tells me that rarely indeed has he had such a talented pupil. From the mouth of the archmage himself, this is praise indeed.”

Not for the first time, Ingwe wondered whom exactly Nogeres was, that Lord Arminas himself would hold him in such high regard. Only the elflord seemed to know for sure, however, and so far he wasn’t telling anyone.

The young man’s attention was soon diverted as Arminas lifted the tent flap and the faint sound of leather on the run reached his ear. For the first time since he had awoken in terror, alone in the midst of shifting shadows and sweat glistening his brow despite the frigid night, Ingwe allowed himself to relax slightly. Nothing could sneak up on them with the Rangers of the Eclipse on guard. If the alarm was sounded, the entire camp would be up in arms in a matter of moments.

Despite the chill, Arminas stepped outside into the cloud-shrouded moors, smiling briefly at the sight of elf, man, and dwarf draped together in full-bellied slumber. The fires burnt low but secure, the wind bypassing their sheltered camp mournfully. Only when Ingwe and Nogeres both had joined him did the elflord continue.

“You fought bravely and well during the siege, and when we dared to strike at the foe where it would hurt them most, you were stout of heart, sharp of mind, and skilled of swordarm. To this day, I think back to that moment when I hired a pale, haggard boy in Scara Brae to be my translator upon this journey, and I congratulate myself on a shrewd piece of business.”

For Ingwe, this was going way too far. The flush that had been creeping across his face at Lord Arminas’s praise now extended down his neck, a deep and conspicuous purple that stood out even in the dim starlight. The elflord saw this and laughed. The sound was gentle and clear, a thousand tinkling bells giving voice.

“And yet, even so, you are extremely modest… perhaps even too humble. It is no sin to have confidence in your abilities, Ingwe. It is in no small part thanks to you that Anebrilith still holds, Xem’zund’s siege lines weakened. It is in no small part your contribution to our cause that means that refugees from our lands still make their way across the great ocean to safety.”

An astute glance that the young man did well to avoid. The elflord sighed; Nogeres remained impassive.

“You are also so silent, mellonamin, so reserved. As if you build up great walls around your heart and lock it away, never to let anybody see it. Something deep and desperate drives you onwards, but at times I fear it leads you to destruction…”

Ingwe could feel both sets of eyes bore into his head now, seeking answers to questions even he had trouble asking. Mortified, he cast his gaze to the ground; it was not that he did not want to say anything, more that he couldn’t. A thousand conflicting emotions stormed through his mind, rendering it helpless to control his voice and set them free.

“Very well…” Arminas sighed at length, after drawing out the silence as long as he dared. “You are, after all, still young… perhaps time and experience will give you the strength to let go.”

Nogeres nodded wisely, resting a hand on Ingwe’s slumped shoulders. The single friendly gesture did much to restore the young man’s fractured spirits; he glanced up again, timidly, but surely. He saw Arminas also looking to the sky, to where a break in the clouds had exposed a particularly bright star to their eyes.

“And now…” he whispered, as the cry of a great eagle echoed about the barren moor. “And now… it begins…”

The sudden voice in their minds, powerful, irresistible, clarion and proud. Every soul in the camp shot upright as if struck by lightning, elf, man, and dwarf alike. Bright flame burned within their heads for the briefest of moments, drowning out their surroundings in a singular flash of brilliance. But it was the words that grabbed their attention, the words that harmonised in their hearts and were etched into their spirits.

When at last the song faded into nothingness, not a single soul could speak. Ingwe could easily guess what they were all experiencing, for he too was living through the events of the past two months as if they were a sequence of snapshots in his mind. From their gathering at Scara Brae to the perilous sea journey to Raiaera, from their tumultuous arrival at Anebrilith to their grim duty as sentinels of the outer city, from their desperate defence of the city against the massed undead assault to their daring raid at the heart of the necromantic legions. Each and every moment that they had spent fighting for a reason so near and yet so far away, the only threads binding them together being their united belief that what they were doing was right. The wounds they had suffered and the friends they had lost, all in the name of a cause not yet their own.

All was vindicated now.

Ingwe realised that he was crying again, hot tears trickling slowly down his upturned cheeks. Nogeres had slumped upon his gnarled and knotted staff, murmuring something to himself in an archaic tongue that Ingwe did not recognise. Arminas, on the other hand, looked to the sky with arms widespread, beckoning the fates to bless him on this auspicious day.

Before he could address the Legionnaires, however, the silence was broken. By nothing less, of course, than the guttural grumbling of a grumpy dwarf.

“Ah must be gonnae mad! Ah hear voices of elf maidens in mah head!”

As Prince Derthark of Gunnbad rolled groggily out of his sleeping mat, the entire assembled Legion burst out into laughter. Ingwe joined in, momentarily pushing aside his worries for the morrow in favour of his hopes for the now. This moment, of all moments, he would rejoice.

“Cannae ah e’en sleep withit bein’ hoonded sae?” the poor dwarf moaned, but not even the ancient rock beneath his feet could hear his cry.
    -Level 10-

You made me laugh, you make me smile
    For you I will always go the extra mile
    I hope that the day will come when I can banish this pain
    I just hope that one day I will see you again