Eye Color
    Mahogany
    Build
    6' 3", 195 lbs
    Job
    Hope for those who have none

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowed
    I'm an atheist anyways, I only used it for effect/stereotype.
    Okay...good to know?
    The fault is mine. 'Twas a very bad joke. :9

School and lack of alcohol has left me devoid of my sanity. Pay no mind.
    Bwaha. Explains why my floormates act so strangely when they're drunk. They've gone sane!

Gotta ditto BlackAndBlueEyes and Task. In my experience, battles have always gained immensely from OOC cooperation. It makes it much easier to develop larger devices than what fit in single posts, and it's fun to find creative ways to play off of your opponent's ideas.

Granted, I've never tried a write-to-corner contest. Sounds a little intriguing to the chess-loving side of my brain. Might have to give it a shot sometime.
    When the night is at its darkest, look upon the eastern sky. The Light is on its way. ((ToC Profile))

GP

Name
    Rardaag Dewwit
    Race
    Raiaeran
    Hair Color
    Pale turquoise, nearing white
    Eye Color
    Azure
    Build
    5'10"/140lbs
    Job
    Scholar

I suspect that the difference in style stems from what the basis of the competition is. Here, the competition is a writing competition that uses text-based fighting as its medium. Other places, like the GT League, the writing aspect is secondary to achieving an In Character win.

This is the first time I have seen such a system as is on Althanas, so it is foreign to me as well. But, in comparison to places where text-fighting is purely for competition, this is much more enjoyable. Places like the GT League, from my experience, tend to be full of egotists who fully enjoy twirling their 'e-peen' to show superiority - both IC and OOC - and arguments about the actions are highly prevalent. Sometimes, as asinine as timing: "Your character couldn't possibly move to block that punch in time."

The arguments make the fight boring, tedious and entirely destroy any enjoyment it potentially had. At least, this is how it has been for me.

Working with your opponents is a great idea, I think... It allows for not just a battle, but a good story as well. And cooperation surely makes a fight more fun than spending (and I've witnessed this) two or three hours arguing about a single move the other player did.

It is quite a transition for those unused to it, but people need to remember that this isn't really a fighting contest: it's a writing contest.
    Commencement of Learning - Solo, Completed. 66/100 - 750EXP
    A Battle of the Mind - Battle, Closed.

Carpetmuncher
    EXP: 1,354, Level: 1
    Level completed: 68%, EXP required for next level: 646
    Level completed: 68%,
    EXP required for next level: 646
    GP

Name
    Luc Kraus
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5' 6'' 145 lbs

I've RPed both styles extensively. I too enjoy having to write a character out of a corner, but I combine that with what my opponent and I have planned.

When it comes to cooperation, I mean it more like "okay, we should end up in this area at one point for a cool spot," and maybe discuss a few things coming up. But the actual fighting I write on my own, and all that.

I mean, trying to best someone in a writing competition isn't all that hard, but it almost universally results in a lot of long, agonizing posts where the characters talk too much or have huge monologues or there's too much description. It's really nice to talk to an opponent and be like 'okay, let's have a few posts of pure action with no conversation, since talking while swinging a sword makes no fucking sense '. And then being like 'I just broke off the action to have Luc say something to your guy about his ugly shirt, but feel free to get right back into the action so it doesn't drag'. It's just writing freedom, or something.

I mean, if Izvilvin goes against a lower-level character... It's pretty sensible to suggest Iz is going to win. So we discuss how my opponent will get in some licks and not look like a buffoon. It's a lot more fun than having six ultimate, final finishing attacks in succession and resulting in a draw because you're both too stubborn.
    Cold, jade eyes that liquify
    eyes that are merciless,
    staring in mute mockery
    and in mockery of the muteness

EXP: 5,321, Level: 2
    Level completed: 9%, EXP required for next level: 3,679
    Level completed: 9%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,679
    GP

Name
    Sara SixBlades
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Maroon with white highlights
    Eye Color
    Emerald
    Build
    5' 94lbs
    Job
    Archer

I'm not trying to be bitchy, crabby, or whiny ... etc. But 15+ days to judge a thread is ridiculous.

What if a judge fails to judge a thread in time? Does someone else take it over?

February 6th, 2009, 07:55 AM

Thank you for participating! Ebivoulya will judge this battle shortly. Please do not contact your judge regarding the judgment until after it has been posted.
    It is currently, here anyway, Feb 21 2009 10:34 am.

Loremaster
    EXP: 72,114, Level: 11
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 4,886
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,886
    GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    6' / 175 pounds
    Job
    Former chef, aimless wanderer, Pagoda Master, and self-professed Salvic Rebel Leader ™.

As I explained in the podcast, we're currently short nearly half our original judging team. The others are working to pick up the slack and should be done very, very soon. We ask that you please be patient and understanding.

GP

Name
    Sara SixBlades
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Eye Color
    Emerald
    Build
    5' 94lbs
    Job
    Archer

What happened with them? Are you guys trying to find replacements? Just curious.

Sorry... I just don't want to see another ToL, that's all.

Loremaster
    EXP: 72,114, Level: 11
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 4,886
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,886
    GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    6' / 175 pounds
    Job
    Former chef, aimless wanderer, Pagoda Master, and self-professed Salvic Rebel Leader ™.

Well, our head judge had to retire for personal reasons, but we're not sure about the other two. We are finding replacements, but it's not easy to do on short notice. The next rounds will be easier though, because there will be fewer battles to judge.

GP

Name
    Sara SixBlades
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Eye Color
    Emerald
    Build
    5' 94lbs
    Job
    Archer

You're probably right.

I'm to much of a worry bug ... I'm sure you understand ... I think. In other words, you want things to go well too.

Rock on!

Hopefully I'll fight your team in round 2!

EXP: 13,891, Level: 4
    Level completed: 98%, EXP required for next level: 109
    Level completed: 98%,
    EXP required for next level: 109
    GP

Name
    Kryos
    Race
    Dwiilar
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Crimson, Silver
    Build
    5' 11" / 158 lbs
    Job
    Wanderer, Soul Mage

View Profile
    So, umm, I hate to be a bother, but when were the exp and gold gained from Round 1 going to be added to our accounts? After each round, or after the tournament was completely done? I just don't want to se another FQ Special Awards again. It has been months and the GP hasn't been added from that. But no rush, really. Just curious.
    -Level 4-

The path of redemption requires both light and shadow.

Iwishlifehadcheatcodes
    EXP: 23,421, Level: 6
    Level completed: 49%, EXP required for next level: 3,579
    Level completed: 49%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,579
    GP

Name
    Einar Fenrisson
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown, buzz cut mohawk
    Eye Color
    hazel
    Build
    6'2" / 315
    Job
    Outcast Noble

View Profile
    The exp/gp will be added as soon as I have time, lol. I kinda hop around to get things done because I have a long list of stuff right now. I will be adding the exp/gp hopefully tonight, as well as finishing the judgment of the last battle, and getting to the FQ as well.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678