Thread: Headline reads: Athiest Sues Church for Discrimination.

EXP: 755, Level: 1
    Level completed: 38%, EXP required for next level: 1,245
    Level completed: 38%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,245
    GP

Name
    Jasker Lightfoot
    Race
    Halfling
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    4'4"/87lbs.
    Job
    Mercenary Thief/Rogue

Headline reads: Athiest Sues Church for Discrimination.

Now, this isn't a real article, but more like an interesting thought I had.

Since one of the foundations of this country's constitution is the separation between church and state, what would happen if an athiest tried to get a job at a church, but they didn't hire him based on the fact that he was an athiest. Technically, he could sue the church for discrimination right?

Anyways, I thought that if this were a real story it'd be really interesting. Who do you think would win? Does religion have a place in governments? Just give me your thoughts on the matter.
    "Luck, skill - call it what you will. Whatever it is, I have plenty of it." - Jasker Lightfoot

Jasker's Tale:
    Little White Lies (One-Shot; Finished)
    No Honor Among Thieves (Solo)
    August Auctions w/ EgoFinitum (Finished)
    Haunted Houses w/ EgoFinitum

See you, Space Cowboy...

Religions are above that law. They aren't counted as businesses, therefore paid clergy are not considered employees but reimbursed volunteers. So there'd be no basis. As for religion and government, all religion should stay far, far away from government. It has no basis playing any part in my life, and therefore shouldn't.

GP

Name
    Mathias
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'9"/180

Hmh. At first, I figured, "Nah. No basis for a case. A church is like a club with paid members. It only makes sense that they'd be allowed to refuse someone employment if their criteria are not met."

But, then, I got to thinking. Maybe it depends on what job he applied for. If it was work that wasn't specifically related to the religion itself, like janitor work or something, he might actually have a case. I still think it'd be absolutely idiotic if he were able to take it to court, but at the same time, it kinda gets you thinking.
    Where do you move when where you're moving from... is yourself?

Current Threads
    Magnolia in the Mold (Closed)
    Vandal Violence (Solo)

Completed Threads (Not in Profile Yet)
    None.

Records
    Battles Won: 1 / Lost: 2 / Tied: 0
    Highest Score: 80.5

GP

Name
    Regal Burnswidth
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    White with hints of Gray Insanity

In that event, it wouldn't happen. Church don't discriminate, it's in their laws.

GP

Name
    Andhaka Oleander Adiir
    Race
    Half Human, Half Elemental
    Hair Color
    Light dusty brown
    Eye Color
    Pale blue
    Build
    Varies
    Job
    Self Appointed Guardian

No, better reason why it wouldn't happen: Athiests tend to find churchy people extremely annoying. Not a single atheist I know would be caught dead in a church, let alone subject themselves to working there. Get real. XD.

This is not to say that I think atheists don't like religious people, even though that is sometimes true, just in my experience, all of the ones I have met HATE churches and the like. I personally am not an atheist and hate religion. Honestly, wouldn't it be like a Christian going to work for a place launching a historical/scientific study to disprove theism? Or working for a group designed for atheists to talk about atheist things? It's like saying 'hey, can you please talk to me about all of the things I find logically wrong, terrible, bad and disgusting for eight solid houes five days a week? THANKS. You're a pal.'

Atheists hold a lot of stock in logic and common sense. If they try to work for a church...they deserve to be converted.
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury

Administrator
    EXP: 81,363, Level: 12
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 8,637
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,637
    GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Illicit Entrepreneur

View Profile
    Fun question, but statute provides an easy answer.

42 U.S.C.A. ยง 2000e-1 exempts religious associations from the Equal Employment Opportunity chapter of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (as amended). Here's the text:

(a) Inapplicability of subchapter to certain aliens and employees of religious entities
    This subchapter shall not apply to an employer with respect to the employment of aliens outside any State, or to a religious corporation, association, educational institution, or society with respect to the employment of individuals of a particular religion to perform work connected with the carrying on by such corporation, association, educational institution, or society of its activities.

What this means is that so long as the church is hiring someone to perform work that furthers some religious activity, they can insist that person be of their own religion.
    Althanas Operations Administrator

Dirks GP amount: 2949