Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Althanas Suggestion Thread Returns Once More!

Non Timebo Mala
    EXP: 126,303, Level: 15
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 8,697
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,697
    GP

Name
    Letho Ravenheart
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus
    And anyway, writing on a site like Althanas and not wanting criticism on your writing is kind of going against the nature of the place. That's what we do here! It's the site's defining characteristic. I don't think there's ever been a case of someone being openly mocked for their low scores, at least not anytime in recent years.
    This isn't a question of someone being mocked or anything, but rather of people being sensitive about their writing. True, you can argue that they shouldn't have posted it on a public forum, but not everything is so black and white. There are people who like to write with others, who want to be a part of a community, but are sensitive about their writing, people whose confidence is shaken when they read a bad review. Whether we approve, disapprove or dislike such an approach to writing really makes no difference. There are such writers and Althanas should be a place where they too can write. Unless we desire a community where like only people with giant egos and absolute confidence would write and dissect each other's writing.

I never even considered the possibility of EXP/GP being awarded behind closed doors. The score of the thread and the EXP/GP amounts would still be displayed at the end of the thread. Only the comments would be omitted and sent via PMs. As Task said, it probably wouldn't be fair for it to be a complete, thorough judgment (since it's for one person and one person only), but I don't see why would it be a problem for the judge to offer limited commentary on a specific quest via a PM. It's their quest and ultimately it should be their choice whether they wanted the final verdict to be public or not.
    Last edited by Letho; 03-25-09 at 01:26 PM.
    "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming

EXP: 12,400, Level: 4
    Level completed: 68%, EXP required for next level: 1,600
    Level completed: 68%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,600
    GP

Name
    MetalDrago Scorpio
    Race
    Dragonian
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Orchid
    Build
    6'4"/206lbs.
    Job
    None

I don't see a problem with writing the scores and EXP/GP award in the thread, and then having each player's individual pros and cons outlined in a PM. The idea of Althanas is to make them a better writer. I don't see how it matters one way or another how they are helped to get better, as long as they are helped.

GP

Name
    Kerrigan Josephine Muldoon
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Light brown
    Eye Color
    Soft green
    Build
    1,77 meter, 62 kg
    Job
    Freelance performer/illusionist and fortune teller

View Profile
    I think that it might be useful to check if there is actually a need for this. I'm bluntly assuming that a more private comment on a thread is rarely asked for, since it has only been brought up now. If that's the case then I think it would be a dissaster if once in a long while someone gets his full review privately and a short version publicly.

Miss Demeanor
    EXP: 28,185, Level: 7
    Level completed: 15%, EXP required for next level: 6,815
    Level completed: 15%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,815
    GP

Name
    Alydia Ettermire
    Race
    Alerian
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'6"
    Job
    Thief

View Profile
    I remember back about a year ago, we had options with judging: detailed, normal, little, and just numbers. I picked just numbers twice, and once I did get just numbers and nothing more, and the other time the judge PM'd me a little commentary, which I appreciated. I don't see how the request for private commentary is any different than that. Stick the numbers in the thread, PM the notes to the participants.
    Fortune favors the prepared.

Administrator
    EXP: 81,363, Level: 12
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 8,637
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,637
    GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Illicit Entrepreneur

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Where in the World
    I remember back about a year ago, we had options with judging: detailed, normal, little, and just numbers.
    That is back! At least it's back whenever Serilliant finishes the coding.
    Althanas Operations Administrator

Dirks GP amount: 2949

EXP: 46,568, Level: 9
    Level completed: 26%, EXP required for next level: 7,432
    Level completed: 26%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,432
    GP

Name
    Visla Layne Eraclaire
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Raw Umber Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    5'3" / 115 lbs

So, the things that people are objecting to happening aren't happening, the change that people are requesting has pretty much always been available, God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.
    We talkin bout practice
    Not a game, not a game, not a game
    We talkin bout practice

GP

Name
    Kerrigan Josephine Muldoon
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Light brown
    Eye Color
    Soft green
    Build
    1,77 meter, 62 kg
    Job
    Freelance performer/illusionist and fortune teller

View Profile
    Amen.

Iwishlifehadcheatcodes
    EXP: 23,421, Level: 6
    Level completed: 49%, EXP required for next level: 3,579
    Level completed: 49%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,579
    GP

Name
    Einar Fenrisson
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown, buzz cut mohawk
    Eye Color
    hazel
    Build
    6'2" / 315
    Job
    Outcast Noble

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrigan Muldoon View Post
    I think that it might be useful to check if there is actually a need for this. I'm bluntly assuming that a more private comment on a thread is rarely asked for, since it has only been brought up now. If that's the case then I think it would be a dissaster if once in a long while someone gets his full review privately and a short version publicly.
    ((Emphasis mine))

The assumption that further commentary isn't asked for isn't necessarily true. I've been asked for further commentary by a lot of people through PM, after I offered it in a thread. Unfortunately two of those people, due to me being bogged down and not having time to review the ToC threads (VERY SORRY GUYS), weren't helped. But other than that I review the thread again and make more detailed commentary for just that person.

It's not really too much of a problem, a little extra work but if that's what the person wants then waiting a day or two and getting the judge to help out is always available. I noticed that Lord Angelkos does about the same thing as I do, saying that if you would like further commentary, suggestions, have a disappointment, or generally talk about a thread you can always PM or IM me and I will help as much as possible.

Carpetmuncher
    EXP: 1,354, Level: 1
    Level completed: 68%, EXP required for next level: 646
    Level completed: 68%,
    EXP required for next level: 646
    GP

Name
    Luc Kraus
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5' 6'' 145 lbs

I think that for the most part, say 9/10 times, judges nowadays have drifted away from styles which berate and beat down writers. I've seen some people get some harsh judgments, but it's always been because they powergamed or showed an utter lack of effort.

I think if somebody is so sensitive that constructive criticism is hurting their feelings, we shouldn't change for them. That considered, Task's earlier compromise on the subject is acceptable. I'd still prefer everything be public, though, since it just doesn't seem like there's a need to change.
    Cold, jade eyes that liquify
    eyes that are merciless,
    staring in mute mockery
    and in mockery of the muteness

GP

Name
    Lakin Le Comte
    Race
    Mystic
    Hair Color
    Pitch Black
    Eye Color
    Azure Blue
    Build
    5 9" 63 kilos
    Job
    Diplomat for DpN, Tavern Owner.

I would not be opposed to sending commentary via PM instead of posting it on the site. It wouldn't be that hard for judges. Just request that you get commentary as normal, but only numbers on the site and the commentary made sent via PM.
    Your suggestion is an excellent improvement on mine. I see now, that completely private judgments would not work here. Numbers only, comments via messages—this would be great.
    Nothing else matters.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567