Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vignette Contest: May

It wasn't a Dream

“It wasn’t a dream.” I spoke confidently, loud and clear. The therapist had been insinuating the same notion since we started our session: It was not real. The irritating scratching of the shrink’s pen made me feel as if the inside of my mind was being cleaned out. That was my paranoia speaking, just because she had a Masters Degree in psychology, my mind automatically registered her as being the utmost authority in ‘reading’ people minds. Silly yes, but it was the way I was born.

The room was silent as she, Dr. Gloria Oliver, stared at me. She was a red head chick with golden eyes and a long face. She was petite in every way, body, voice, (I had to strain just to hear her,) and she was nothing to look at. The clock on the wall ticked away, filling the awkward silence with it's mechanical sound. I had been sitting in this stuffy office for the past 45 minutes, and my session was almost up.

The reason I was here in the first place was because of what my parents had not heard or seen. Earlier that day my creation, my other me had showed up in my room, and it scared the crap out of me.

Coming home from school earlier that day I walked into my small room I shared with my brother, ready to rest and finish school up. Except staring out my window, wearing a large navy blue robe was a man with long white hair, and I screamed. I screamed loud (what would you do?). That was my first instinct, my next was to pick up my baseball bat and beat him with it, but he must have sensed it coming, for he quickly spun around and moved across the room, covering my mouth with his large hand, grabbing my throat and slamming me against the wall with his other. “Shut-up man!” He whispered intensely in my face, he looked out my door to see if anyone was coming, then let me go and silently closed my bedroom door.

I slid down the wall, overcome with nervousness, my breathing hard and heavy. I almost foolishly asked who he was, but I knew, down in the very depths of my soul, though I didn’t want to believe it. There was no way at all; it wasn’t possible, for he was a character. There he was though, my pariah, and if you switch the letters around it becomes Raphai, Raphai Man.

I know I had made him to look skeleton like, and an epitome of creepiness, but I guess I wasn’t the greatest visualist when it came to describing with words. “I can’t believe you, out of all people are freaking out about me!” He said this in his dull dry tone, which I had equipped him with. He didn’t tower over me, as a matter of fact we were about the same height, same build, but we looked completely different. This all was understandable to me, I made him! It was easier to see how his body would look if he had the same dimensions as me, then I added on his weirdness.

The fully black body speckled with deep red scars, contrasted with shining white hair that hung down to his hips. I didn’t know what to say, so I asked him what I knew he would talk about. “How’s your sex life?” I said this with a slight smile on my face trying to off balance him; I already knew how it was. “Why don’t you tell me Sir Houston?” He said this very contemptuously, while pulling out of his robe my green notebook, filled with his stories and he flung the book at me, he flung it hard. I raised my hands in defense, the papers from the inside flying everywhere. “Don’t speak!” He shouted at me, cutting off whatever words were about to come out. I could see a fiery burning in his eyes; I knew why he was mad. “Why did you do it John? Why give me these urges then I can’t have them fulfilled? Why do I scare every living thing in existence yet you give me this love for people, children, and women? He started to step towards me again, so I reached for my bat, “Då!” His arm came shooting out his wand in his left hand, and as he shouted the command he sent the bat out my window. He then moved so quickly, I didn’t see it coming. His hand was once again around my throat, and the tip of the wand was pressed against my throat. I knew he didn’t know any killing spells, he was only a beginner but he did know how to start a fire. “You’re going to rewrite me John, and this time I will be beautiful, I will be normal!” His eyes looked so pleading with me, I had to tell him the reason. “I’ll tell you why I did it.” He backed off for a second, waiting, staring, hoping something good would come of this.

“I did it, truthfully, I made you this way, because I thought…I thought it was funny.” I couldn’t hold it in anymore; I started to crack up laughing until tears started to fall. Raphai was not happy still; he raised his wand at my ceiling fan, prepared to send it flying at me, I didn’t see that though. “John!” I immediately stopped laughing as the sound of my mother’s voice cut through consciousness. She came busting through the door, and took in the scene. I could imagine her face as she saw this man standing in my room. She didn’t see him though. She did see the broken window, papers all around me, me curled in a ball with tears streaming down my face brown shiny face, staring up at her.

A few hours later after trying to explain my story, and why the window was broken I was sitting in Dr. Gloria Oliver’s office, with Raphai sitting beside me, telling me everything he wanted to do to this woman.
    There is no armour against Fate;
    Death lays his icy hand on kings:

EXP: 91,535, Level: 13
    Level completed: 11%, EXP required for next level: 12,465
    Level completed: 11%,
    EXP required for next level: 12,465
    GP

Name
    William Arcus
    Race
    Revenant
    Hair Color
    Black Stubble
    Eye Color
    Molten Fire
    Build
    5'11"/178lbs
    Job
    Freelance Murder Machine

View Profile
    Chris double-checked his post one final time before hitting the submit button. He reveled in the small surge of excitement and sense of satisfaction that came with completion of an Althanas entry. He had only written a few posts for William Arcus, his newest creation, but he was already beginning to see the character take shape and grow in the way that writer’s can’t always predict. It felt good to exercise his creative side again, even if it was only in small blurbs on the internet.

Now that his mind was off of William, Chris took the time to stretch and glance at his watch.

“Shit,” Chris grumbled to himself. It was half past eleven and he had to be up early for work tomorrow. He never failed to lose track of time when he was writing, and this time was no exception. Chris shut down his computer and climbed into bed. It had been a long, stressful day, and Chris was drifting almost as soon as his head hit the pillow. As he slipped into a deep slumber, Chris’ final thoughts were on William.

Chris’ first thought upon waking was that he was cold.

Must have left the window open again.

Chris’ second thought was that the wind through the trees was really loud this morning.

Definitely left the window open.

Chris’ third thought was that there were no trees outside his window.

Chris bolted upright and gasped as a bright light stung his sleep dulled eyes. He threw his hand up to shield them from the light’s source only to discover that he was clothed in an unfamiliar outfit.

“What the hell?” Chris questioned as his mental facilities slowly began to take in the changes around him. He was apparently clothed in the type of fantasy outfit that over-enthusiastic patrons wore at the local Renaissance Fair and furthermore, he was sleeping on a mat.

A mat in the middle of a clearing.

A mat in the middle of a clearing somewhere in the woods.

“Ok, this is certainly the most vivid dream I’ve ever had,” Chris noted, taking in the fullness of his surroundings.

“Unfortunately for you, your dream is soon going to be more of a nightmare,” said a voice from the edge of the clearing behind Chris.

Chris jumped at the sound of the voice, then rolled around, still on the mat, to see who had spoken. The speaker was a tall man, though Chris couldn’t determine the man’s physique under the heavy wool clothes and thick bandages he wore.

“I’m sorry that it has to be you,” the man continued, “I really do. You see, I used to live in the woods myself. Woods just like these. Mine wasn’t the best life, but I was content. Then that damned bastard bound a demon to my soul and, well,” Chris could see sharp claws beginning to push their way out from the heavy bandages that covered the man’s hands. “Well, the demon makes me do things.”

“Holy shit!” Chris was stunned by his moment of revelation, “You’re William Arcus.”

William was momentarily taken aback that this man, whom he thought was just another unlucky traveler, knew him somehow. The moment of shock didn’t last long, however, and the screaming rage of the demon compelled William forward, eager to spill blood.

Chris understood the hostile intent that drove William forward, since he himself had put it there. It would take a lot to overcome the demonic influence over William’s mind and Chris had to think fast.

“You’re name is William Arcus,” Chris began, rattling facts quickly as the ominous specter of death approached. “You were a woodsman who fought against the forces of the dark sorcerer Kal’Necroth. You had a wife and child who were murdered. You were forced to become a Revenant against your will and now fight against the demonic influence in your mind.” Chris hoped that his intimate knowledge of William’s life would buy him some time, any time.

The words definitely had an effect on William, though not necessarily the one that Chris would have preferred. William surged forward with almost inhuman speed and grabbed Chris by the front of his jerkin, lifting Chris off his feet.

“Who the hell are you and how to you know so much about me?” William nearly spat the words at Chris. Chris dangled, paralyzed with fear, staring into the black depths of William’s devilish eyes.

“WHO ARE YOU?” William pivoted and hurled Chris a good eight feet through the air. No easy feat, since Chris wasn’t exactly the smallest of people. Chris landed heavily and felt the wind rush from his lungs. He scrambled to find a way to stand up and breathe, but his body locked up with unexpected pain of more than a little reasonable terror.

William stalked heavily towards Chris’ crumpled form but Chris could see that William was holding the demonic spirit back, keeping it from sending him into a murderous frenzy until he could get an answer to the mysterious man that knew his life’s story. Hopefully.

William reached Chris and once again lifted the big man off his feet as if he were little more than a sack of potatoes.

“I will not ask you a third time,” William hissed, bringing Chris’ face close to his own. Chris could feel William’s hot, wet breath through the heavy wool scarf that covered his mouth. Chris knew the menace in William’s voice was not an idle threat.

“I’m the man who wishes he were you,” Chris stuttered quietly.

Of all the answers that William expected to hear, this was not one of them. Chris could see the sudden blow of confusion knock William out of his impeding rage. Chris went limp and let out the breath that he hadn’t even realized he was holding when he felt William’s claws receding William slowly lowered Chris to his feet.

“If you know so much about me, then why the hell would you wish that you were like me?” William asked bitterly. Chris could hear the despair and self-loathing in William’s voice.

“I don’t know.” Chris replied. “Why does anyone fantasize about being someone else? Because there’s something in you that I wish that I had. You’re powerful and nearly indestructible, but you’re tragic. Yours aren't the noble hero that everyone looks up to. Yours is the tale of having lost and struggled against an overwhelming foe. If you should succeed, then you truly are a hero, but if you fail then no one will blame you because who could realistically stand up against such odds. There’s something almost romantic about you.”

Chris finished and stood silently, watching William and weighing the impact of his words on the troubled soul that stood before him. Chris could see the conflict in William’s eyes and in that moment gained a truer and clearer understanding of who William Arcus was and how far he would go. And in that moment…

“That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard,” William struck suddenly, punching Chris full in the face. Chris crumpled in a heap at William’s feet, alive but unconscious. William snorted in derision, then turned and walked away.
    Last edited by Revenant; 05-29-09 at 08:55 PM.
    "I have looked upon all that the universe has to hold of horror, and even the skies of spring and the flowers of summer must ever afterward be poison to me." - Call of Cthulhu

David vs. Goliath: History's first recorded critical hit.
    JC Thread - The Bitter King

EXP: 24,798, Level: 6
    Level completed: 69%, EXP required for next level: 2,202
    Level completed: 69%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,202
    GP

Name
    Taka
    Race
    Akashiman (Human)
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Job
    Samurai (Ronin)

View Profile
    Competition is Closed.

Judgment is coming shortly.
    How something is said, is just as important as what is said. -Anonymous

Iwishlifehadcheatcodes
    EXP: 23,421, Level: 6
    Level completed: 49%, EXP required for next level: 3,579
    Level completed: 49%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,579
    GP

Name
    Einar Fenrisson
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown, buzz cut mohawk
    Eye Color
    hazel
    Build
    6'2" / 315
    Job
    Outcast Noble

View Profile
    Apologize, but I'll be skipping the vignette before judgment. It'd take a while to write, and I generally don't feel like it. Sorry, since this has been waiting long enough, I don't feel it's necessary.

1st place: Lavinian Pride

2nd Place: Disillusioned

3rd Place: Inkfinger

Congrats!

Iwishlifehadcheatcodes
    EXP: 23,421, Level: 6
    Level completed: 49%, EXP required for next level: 3,579
    Level completed: 49%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,579
    GP

Name
    Einar Fenrisson