Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Temple of The Eldritch Horrors (closed)

EXP: 3,996, Level: 1
    Level completed: 67%, EXP required for next level: 1,004
    Level completed: 67%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,004
    GP

Name
    Ailnea
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'5" 150 pounds, ten percent of which is body fat
    Job
    Aibrone Monk

Ailnea ate her dinner quietly while the family they were with caught up with each other concerning the ordinary sort of everyday affairs. This was a very good meal indeed, and she made a mental note to thank Xis’tiel for it as soon as the proper moment presented itself. Right after she had finished a particularly juicy chicken leg, Kythor turned the conversation on her.

“So, what’s it like living in the Aibrone temple? I hear everyone lives amid mountains of silk and gold, and that the elder himself sleeps upon a bed made from the feathers of the most exotic species of birds.” Kythor said.

“Oh, no, nothing as fancy as all that, though there is a particularly beautiful silk tapestry trimmed with gold depicting a phoenix in flight in the doorway to the healing center in the citadel. No, plain beds stuffed with straw, wooden furniture, it’s the simple life for us. All that fanciness tends to be distracting. As for what sort of bed the elder sleeps in, I believe it to be filled with cotton, though I do know he recently purchased a brand new goose down quilt in anticipation of the oncoming winter months.” Ailnea said quietly.

“So, what, you sit around and meditate all day?” Raequan asked, seemingly genuinely interested in life in the Aibrone temple.

“Only when necessary, more often we do a variety of activities. For instance, there are our world famous arenas where many skilled persons from all walks of life have come to undertake a variety of challenges, each for their own reasons.” Ailnea said.

“Is it hard raising the dead?” Kythor’s wife asked.

“Yes, it takes more skill than I possess to accomplish such a feat.” Ailnea responded.

“So what are you going to that accursed temple for tomorrow?” Kythor asked, almost with a snarl.

“Must you know every detail of our guest’s life?” Thrugh'lhak asked.

“I don’t mind.” Ailnea said, then turning to Kythor, “Imagine you were born on the other side of the world, no family save for the kind strangers that took you in and raised you as one of their own. You grow up thinking your one of them, just, slightly different, somehow. Then, a merchant vessel pulls into port, and you learn of Deathain, a land where many others like yourself live. You learn you’re Draconian, and that there is an entire culture, an entire aspect of yourself you missed out on growing up. Wouldn’t you sail back with the merchant vessel and learn about who, and what, you truly are? It is the same for me. I have never in all my life encountered another like myself. My mother died in birth, and yet growing up and living in the citadel all these years, not once has another like me ever appeared. Then, my mother’s spirit returns to tell me what I really am, an eldritch creature from beyond the stars. She tells me there’s a temple built by my people, that I should investigate it, to learn more about my true self.

I do not go for power, or glory, for such desires are the domains of the vain and the foolish. I do not go seeking to bring harm to others, I seek to know more about what, and who I truly am. It is not enough for me to know that I am an alien to Althanas, a non-native entity with no place in this world. I need to know where my place is, what my purpose is, and my reason for existing. Is it really too much to ask, to let me learn?”

The words had welled up from deep in her heart from some unknown place, as though another had put them there knowing they needed to be said now, rather than later.

Kythor snorted and finished eating in silence, a silence that seemed to affect everyone. Only the crackling of the fire in the hearth broke the silence when it popped unexpectedly.

“I didn’t know eldritch creatures from beyond the stars were so pretty.” Raequan said, bringing a blush to Ailnea’s cheeks.

This caused a round of chuckles and the moment seemed to have passed.

~~~

The next day saw them setting out from the village in silence. Ailnea had retired to the guest room quickly after supper, and as she fell asleep, she heard whispered voices arguing heatedly. She knew she was distrusted because of the temple and what she was, but trusted Lorenor to stand up for her.

Whatever had been said, Kythor now rode along in brooding silence. He had a brown stallion, though Ailnea had missed hearing what its name was. Before setting out, Ailnea offered to simply let him stay behind if he didn’t want to go, but that had brought such a terrifying glare from the man that she hid behind Lorenor and quickly accepted him as a guide.

She noted that it was Kythor who rode in the front, and she who rode in the back. Why he disliked her, or even hated her, she didn’t know. She had never knowingly done anything to him, or his family.

Fog covered the ground as they set out, and it seemed to distort the normal sounds of the creatures in the swamp. It was almost like walking through another world. Ailnea examined the world around her closely, for it felt like the temple was all around her.

The things she saw in the distance, such as the betentacled tree snatching a bird out of the sky, were things she wasn’t sure if it was real, her imagination, or what it might’ve been.
    Suddenly she realized she was all alone, Kythor and Lorenor were gone!

“LORENOR! KYTHOR! WHERE ARE YOU?” she yelled out through the fog.

She stopped where she was knowing Lorenor at least would come back for her. Hours passed, and no one came. How could they not notice she was gone? She got down off her horse to stretch her legs, and walked forward a few feet, fear of abandonment creeping into her mind. When she turned around, she gasped, knowing something unusual was going on for the ground she had just walked on was gone, leaving a yawning chasm stretching deeper into the ground than she could imagine. Fog covered whatever was in the distance.

She turned as she heard something move behind her, and caught her breath in fear. A scream died in her throat, as her mind and body stopped working entirely. From the fog came a massive eye easily larger than most mountains, and it was staring right at her. It floated in mid air, attached to a small stalk as thick as an ear of corn. She was on the only pillar of land in a gulf far greater than her mind could accept existed.

Ailnea, come to me, I await you with eager anticipation. Trust in me, fly to me. I have been gone from this sphere for so long, watching only from a great distance. Let me return Ailnea, summon me back to this place. Ailnea, Ailnea.” The thing called, but not with a physical voice. Its words simply rolled through her mind with all the force of an exploding volcano. The eye shot toward her calling her name, and everything went black.

“Ailnea!” a familiar voice called, and Ailnea woke up to find herself on her horse, slumped over in the saddle.

“If your going to fall asleep in your saddle, hand the reins to us so you don’t fall behind. Be thankful we both have sharp hearing and realized your horse had stopped walking when you dropped the reins.” Kythor said sharply. He had her horse’s reins, and was glaring at her again.

“But, but how? When did I fall asleep? I couldn’t have been asleep. We set off from the settlement, walking along, I was looking closely at the world around us, and suddenly you were both gone, and never came back for me, even after several hours of waiting in one spot. Then, after I dismounted to stretch my legs, the ground fell away, and a giant floating eye told me it was waiting for me. It flew at me and everything went black, then suddenly here I am waking up. What happened? I know I wasn’t hallucinating, it was too real. I couldn’t have been dreaming, I don’t remember falling asleep.” A terrified Ailnea cried.

“You may not remember falling asleep, but you definitely did. If it wasn’t for the hideous things you were hissing in your sleep, I might’ve taken a few minutes longer to realize your horse had stopped. Don’t even ask me to repeat what you were saying; I don’t think I’m physically capable of producing such sounds. Though one phrase did sound oddly familiar, observe, observer? Something like that, anyway, before I woke you up, you were hissing that one phrase, whatever it was you were actually saying, over and over again. Like I said, next time you feel like your about to sleep in your saddle, hand the reins off to us so your horse can be lead.” Kython said, dropping the reins and continuing on not knowing it was actually Eldritch Ailnea had been hissing in.

EXP: 5,976, Level: 3
    Level completed: 25%, EXP required for next level: 3,024
    Level completed: 25%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,024
    GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Blue (Deeply inset eye-sockets, no eyeballs, only a glowing energy)
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    Previously-

Thrugh'lhak looked at Lorenor once the woman had fallen asleep in her room. The mutant had barely touched his dinner, but did so out of respect for his companions and what they would mean to his future. Sitting on a chair, the mutant realized he was being stared after ten full minutes had passed. "You seriously do not intend to go to that place?" Came Thrugh'lhak's voice and the mutant blinked a few times. "I have promised someone that I would guide her to The Pyre itself if need be. I can not back down from my word now. There is a contract in play." Lorenor said honestly. Though he was lawfully evil, he was a man of his word and he took the very nature of the contract exceedingly seriously. So much so, that it made the mutant an almost predictable force of nature. Lorenor took another pull of the drink in his goblet as he continued the conversation with Thrugh'lhak. Deciding that he rather liked the drink, the strange substance was both relaxing and warm at the same time. It had a tangy texture to it.

Filling his goblet once more from the pitcher, the mutant kept his eyes off into deep space, as if staring at some far off location. "Do you even know what the old works state is there?" Hearing that, the mutant shrugged. "For her, I shall face Oblivion. That is what you should know. I cannot return until this deed is taken care of and she no longer needs my assistance. And even then, my purpose would have been taken from me." Lorenor said, a certain sadness in his voice. Frustration was on the Dragonian's face now, and it was an expression of twisting scales. He slammed his hand on the table briefly. The sudden action caused a stare from Xis’tiel and Kythor. "Father?" Kythor asked suddenly animated to a point where Lorenor stood up. Lorenor looked at Thrugh'lhak for a long moment. "I do not wish to disrespect a man in his own house. But Ailnea is my charge. Understand, that before all things that must be, there must be a task that will be done." He turned to look at Kythor for a moment, remembering their earlier discussion.

"But Lorenor, she will bring about a great destruction to our world! She cannot be trusted." Kythor said to the mutant as they sat there outside. The argument had gone on for ten minutes. Lorenor continued to hold the goblet in his hand whilst he sat on the chair. Looking up at Kythor, the mutant kept eye contact with the other man. He noticed that Kythor never once flinched. It was a trait that the mutant admired about the Dragonian. Lorenor put the goblet down on the floor briefly, folded his arms across his chest and stood up. "Do you know the Word of N'Jal?" Lorenor suddenly asked. Kythor nodded. "Aye sir, I do." He said. Lorenor then continued. "Have faith in The Word. For it is written, shall All come to pass." As Lorenor spoke, he noticed that Kythor calmed down briefly. The mutant seemed to have a soothing effect on people around him when he spoke The Word. "I thank you for your concern, but this event is by N'Jal's own doing. I have a part to play as does everyone in the Things that are Not Yet Done." Lorenor smiled for a moment, and then entered the house, followed by Kythor.
    Looking at Thrugh'lhak now, the mutant had a stern facial expression that he wore. Almost as a mask. Lorenor kept his arms folded across his chest as he stared at the Chieftain. "I respect where you are coming from, but we must all obey the Will of N'Jal. Right now, the Word states that I must follow Ailnea. Where ever that road may lead." The mutant persisted, even as he saw the other man's eye twitching with frustration. "By the Thayne!" Thrugh'lhak cursed. "You are asking me to potentially sacrifice my eldest boy." Lorenor looked at Kythor for a long moment. "We can study the Word of N'Jal to the end of days here in the village. There is no need to ever go to that place! The scriptures hint that it will be your undoing!" Lorenor nodded, Kythor had also made just such an argument. "It is simply the way things must be." The mutant said. "I am prepared to sacrifice all to N'Jal. This path is the pat that N'Jal has put me on. I shall not waver." Lorenor said. "I am sworn to protect the woman. And that is what shall be done." Lorenor said with a hint of finality in his voice.

"I shall accompany you as far as I can go." Kythor added to the discussion.

When the hour had come, Lorenor's horse was alongside Kythor's. The two fellows talked long about various matters. It wasn't until after the event with Ailnea falling asleep that they paid decidedly more attention to the nun. Lorenor constantly kept watch on her, observing all of her strange mannerisms. He'd heard that strange voice she'd spoken in her sleep, and it sounded almost like she spoke in tongues. The mutant thought about the strange words that were whispered from the woman's mouth, but only Kythor was able to discern even a single word. The mutant listened to what Kythor spoke to the girl but decided to stay out of it. He did not want to add any further fuel to the fire. Lorenor was knowingly risking his life, when these people considered him their promised one. Understanding their frustrations, the mutant had to argue in favor of Ailnea. They'd resupplied the trio, and Lorenor smoked from a pipe on the way to the temple. Feeling the effects of the daylight hours, the mutant noticed that a darkness in the swampland clung to his person. The darkness seemed to sooth him, and provide at least a false sense of comfort.

Moving forward, the mutant continued to smoke from the pipe. The old habit remained hard to break ever since that time in Corone.

GP

Name
    Ailnea
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    Job
    Aibrone Monk

Ailnea rode along, every once in awhile, drifting off. She knew now her experiences were dreams, but something told her they were more than just dreams. Something connected to the temple wanted her to summon it back to the temple. Someone or something that she could only tell Kythor and Lorenor was named The Observer. It made sense then that it’s messengers were detached floating eyes, since it told her it was a massive collection of eyes itself, seeing everywhere, in every second of time, past, present, and future. It saw everything, without exception. The Observer could not speak itself, it could only communicate its intent through psychic imagery, and sometimes even its messengers misinterpreted it’s will. This was the summery gave to her companions of the dreams Ailnea had been having off and on all day, as they made camp that night.

“I think The Observer isn’t mortal like us. I think it is on scale with The Thayne themselves, one of The Eldritch Horrors.” Ailnea finished.

“Great, so why doesn’t the god summon itself back to Althanas?” Kythor snorted.

“It doesn’t work like that. The Thayne created Althanas. They belong here. They cannot be kept from their world; just as The Horrors could not be kept from a place they term The Gulf between Spheres. Gods have to be summoned to places they are not native to, and cannot stay if not even one person will worship them. The Thayne could not stay in the gulf if they were not worshipped there. However, even if, let’s use N’jal as an example. Even is no one worshipped N’jal, she could not be banished from Althanas, except by her own siblings, for she had a hand in Althanas’ creation. But so long as N’jal is worshipped, she can never be banished, at least not forever. Was not such the case with her previous imprisonment in the stars?” Ailnea said.

“I guess. So what, you’re going to go to this temple and fool around with powers you’re not experienced with and try to summon something as powerful as a God to Althanas? What next, experimentations on my village using your newfound powers to see what they can do?” Kythor asked.

“What do you take me for, a mad wizard?” Ailnea asked incredulously.

“I take you for a very foolish person out to mess with things beyond her knowledge. Even one wrong miscasting and you could unleash something that would destroy our world.” Kythor said.

“Perhaps, or perhaps I’m the catalyst that will prevent the very thing already in your world that could destroy it. Did you ever think of that? Did you think perhaps there’s just as much intrigue in divine politics as there is in mortal politics? No, you didn’t did you? You just saw what you wanted to see and ran with it not bothering to look at alternate possibilities.” Ailnea snapped tired of always being attacked.

Sufficiently mollified, Kythor turned away from the fire.

“We reach the temple tomorrow, whatever your outcome might be.” Kythor said sullenly.
    For the rest of the night, he would just sit there, and not say a word to anyone, taking first watch, waking Lorenor when it was his turn. Ailnea fell silent as well for the night. Dawn saw a cold meager breakfast from rations and a quiet Kythor who rode slower than normal.

He looked at Ailnea periodically, as if to say something, then seemed to think better of it each time and moved back on ahead. Finally, he could bear the silence no longer, and broke it.

“I’m sorry; I misjudged you and made a rash decision. Please forgive me.” Kythor said.

“Think nothing of it. The past is the past, what’s important now is the future.” Ailnea said, and that was the end of Kythor’s ill temper towards Ailnea. Infact, the two rode side by side, as he pointed out the natural wonders of Deathain, and Ailnea pointed out things twisted by Eldritch magic that most people tend to pretend doesn’t exist because they can’t handle its existence.

Towards midday, Ailnea got a strange feeling, as though her body was trying to do something it was sure it could do, but didn’t know how. A strange sobbing hiss filled the air, and Kythor was on alert. With a nod to Lorenor he took the front, looking around for the source of the sound.

Suddenly Ailnea spotted it a second before Kythor did. It was a man made of a wide variety of snakes. It crawled along the shore, looking at its reflection, and sobbing each time it did so.

“Poor creature, I wonder what happened.” Ailnea said softly.

At the sound of her words the snake thing looked up. Its own existence was a pain far greater than any others could inflict upon it. In its eyes, Ailnea could see bloodlust, for the spilling, the taste of another’s blood was the only thing that relieved its pain even for a second. Eyes locked on Ailnea, it suddenly sprang with such speed that Ailnea would have no time to react.

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    Kythor lacked the speed that Lorenor possessed. Moving at an incredible movement capacity, the mutant soon bound off the top of his horse, and prepared to intercept the attacking creature. As Lorenor jumped in movement, he drew his prevalida weapon. "Kythor, there are more! Protect Ailnea!" The mutant commanded knowing full well that Kythor would react on instinct, and commanded reaction. Kythor guided his horse quickly so that both sides of the girl were protected whilst she did whatever she was going to do. The eyes of the snake-man were anguished and locked on Ailnea's heaving bosom. Lorenor would never allow such harm to befall his chosen mark. Using his weapon as a blocking device, the mutant was prepared to move against the snake-man. They had no name, but The Endless whispered something in the mutant's mind. Elapidae Hominidus. The beast had copper scales for a hide, and several limbs that were actually poisonous snakes! He had several arms and legs with hands and feet that snapped angrily at the air near to Lorenor's person.

As the snake-man moved, the mutant moved. He blocked incoming attacks with his sword and the creature realized that it could not pierce through such an elegantly made weapon. Immediately, Lorenor attempted to target the master head of the beast, hoping that it contained the central nervous system of the creature. Another of the snake-men manifested from the underbrush and attacked Kythor. The Dragonian drew a masterwork battle-lance and rotated it through the air as he was on the ground beneath them now. As Lorenor fought, Kythor fought. "Ailnea, what in the pyre are these things!?" Kytrhor yelled expecting the nun to know. The mutant continued his attack not having a chance to respond to anything else but focus on the creature's destruction. When the snake-man moved against the mutant, Lorenor used his full speed to evade the attack, and entered a movement meant to take advantage of the blind-side of the beast. Rushing forward at full speed, the mutant moved to the rear of the creature, sent forth a kick to the beast's lower spine in an attempt to begin his attack, and then moved to attempt to decapitate the creature.

There was no hesitation in his coordinated attack. Now the success of the attack depended on a little luck in his favor...

GP

Name
    Ailnea
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    Job
    Aibrone Monk

Ailnea saw the second creature coming for her.

“Observer, if you want me to summon you, then help me get out of this alive, I believe in you and give you any power such belief may grant you. Come to my side; help me for I cannot help myself.” She called out, in Eldritch, which would sound to others as the vilest concoction of noises ever emitted by a living being.

Across the world, through the planes and over dimensions her words echoed, into a great gulf that lay beyond the Sphere containing all that was Althanas. In response to the words spoken in honesty, great power moved towards the sphere that was Althanas.

Kythor was busy wrestling with the snake that chose him to take its grief out on. He inhaled deeply, and loosed a breath of fire on the thing, his sole blast for the day. It recoiled writhing in agony, and he took the chance it presented, and used his strength and claws to slash open its soft underbelly. As it wrestled with its own insides, trying to keep them in, Kythor stood and smiled. Then he remembered Ailnea, and turned on her.

Ailnea was on the ground struggling to reach a big heavy rock, even as the creature was tightening itself around her, seeking to crush her to death. It was just inches from her reach, and closer to Kythor. Kythor bounded over to Ailnea, accidentally kicking the top of the rock as he went. He dived for the snake, and proceeded to struggle with pulling it off her, but it was too strong. Ailnea meanwhile, the large rock barely in her grasp, picked it up, and proceeded to smash the main snake’s head in with it.

Kythor paled as he heard Ailnea scream when she was bit five times in five different places, and redoubled his efforts. One final smash and the thing went limp. Five more crawled out of the river, but paused, sensing a change, and then fled, as though in fear of an even greater predator. Kythor couldn’t help but notice, the fear they felt was only felt after looking at Ailnea. Was she really here to help, or was she blinding him with an effective lie.

“The temple, I need the temple.” A weakened Ailnea said.

“We’re very nearly there; you’ll be there within the hour. I pray that what you seek will heal you.” Kythor said, looking at Lorenor and hoping he had a cure handy for poison. Despite his doubts, he had grown fond of Ailnea and didn’t want her to die.

It sensed its caller’s life in danger. It had remaining power there; it could help, but only temporarily, unless she fully summoned it. It would go, willingly. It had to fix the mistakes made before all was too late.

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    Decapitating the creature, the mutant noticed that several more were appearing from the marsh's underbrush. "Shit! They are everywhere!" Then he heard Ailnea's cry. The mutant kicked one of the snake-men square in the chest, it connected, and the creature was sent rolling back into the swamp it came from. Dashing forward, the mutant fought his way towards Ailnea's position. No. There were too many. I need a faster set of weapons here. Lorenor sheathed his longsword, and then, he gathered up the twin mythril daggers he'd earned so many ages ago.

Putting them to some good use, he rotated the two daggers in hand and then when to work. Many slashes later, he'd slit the throats of several of the snake-men as he made his way towards Ailnea. Even the horses were busily kicking creatures in the head. One of the creatures popped up in front of the mutant who reacted by slashing it in the throat. Hissing in agony, the creature fell to ground. Using its body as leverage, the mutant jumped forward at full speed and landed near to Kythor and Ailnea. "Lorenor! She's hurt, and bad too!"

"Kythor! Cover me all right, we'll fight the rest of the way to the temple. There are too many of them." The mutant leaned down and picked up Ailnea with all of his strength. "How fast can you run?" Lorenor asked the Dragonian. "Why run when you can fly?" The man said in return, and Lorenor nodded to that. "Give me some cover and we'll bail out of here." Kythor proceeded to slash his way through some of the nearest creatures. Kythor's wings spread out to their full span and the dragon-lad took off in a mighty leap with knotted muscles. He began to dive bomb towards several of the snake-creatures slamming into them hard.

At the same time, Lorenor activated his flight powers from the particular talisman that contained them. He prepared to will himself up and off the ground, when three of the snake-men appeared. He barely evaded the incoming attack. Flying over their heads, Lorenor followed Kythor even as several of the snake-men snapped at Lorenor's feet with their snake-limbs. The mutant moved forward, he saw the temple just ahead. "Kythor! It's over there!" Lorenor held Ailnea tightly to his person. He would protect his very life if need be.

They were almost at the temple.

(Feel free to bunny bro)

GP

Name
    Ailnea
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    Job
    Aibrone Monk

Kythor was carrying Ailnea that was all she knew. She was fading fast; darkness was slowly covering her eyes, each breath harder than the last. Visions overtook her mind, some her own, others she knew was not her own.
    She was a young girl again running through the halls of the monastery in The Citadel. She ran into someone and fell back. She looked up to see a bald person, but whether it was a bald man, or a bald woman, Ailnea simply could not tell for his, or her, body was androgenus. It was the first time she had ever encountered anyone that looked to be both male and female at once.

“I’m sorry sir, ma’am, I didn’t mean to run into you.” She said apologetically.

“Impudent twit, watch where your going, and don’t flit about in such a vulgar manner. Speed alone gets you nowhere, only by honing your mind can you hope to achieve success.” The person said. Even their voice was androgenus.

The person walked off, but stopped and said over their shoulder “Oh yes, I am Akim, Grandmaster in the order. I am also male, don’t you dare forget it, or the one hundred lashes you will receive for this incident will seem like a holiday.” The person said, and disappeared.

…..

She was something massive. She did not know how she knew, but she knew she was at least four times the size of Althanas. She instinctively knew that anyone looking at her would see only a mass of tentacles, claws, and eyes. She was The Envoy, messenger of The Eldritch Horrors. She was looking down at Althanas, but it was such a very long time ago, even The Eternal Tap was still in one piece. It had not even been discovered yet.

A smile spread across her hidden mouth, she had been invited there, to the ripe fresh world she gazed upon. So much innocence, so much naivety masquerading under the disguise of gods who thought themselves evil, but had no idea what the concept truly was. She would show them what it really meant to be evil.

…..

She was running through the halls again, a few months older, and a little wiser to be on the lookout for what was ahead of her. The scars were all gone, thanks to a sympathetic healer, but her fear of ever running into the Grandmaster kept her on her guard. Someone darted out in front of her, she could not stop!

As bodies collided and Ailnea fell to the floor, she scooted away in a hurry; afraid the monk would report her to Akim. It felt like she had hit a wall, he was so solidly built.

“Sorry! Sorry! I didn’t mean to hit you!” She cried, breaking out into tears in fear of another set of lashes.
    “Hah! Why so fearful, I didn’t look to see if anyone was coming, it was more my fault than anything. Besides, if I can’t take what was essentially a full body tackle by a small whelp like you I should retire to the countryside. Come, there is no need for tears, I’m certainly not hurt, you’re not either, are you?” the powerful older monk said.

“No sir, please don’t report me to Akim for this, I won’t do it again.” Ailnea cried.

“Why would I report you to Akim, you’re not one of his neophytes, I can tell. Since your not one of his, I could easily do anything I wanted myself, but I won’t, because nothing more needs to be done, except, promise me you’ll use an arena or a proper training room next time you feel like running?” the man asked.

“Yes sir, I promise. If I may ask, who are you?” Ailnea asked, stopping her tears.

“I am Onox, Grandmaster. Say, this is unusual, a monk that doesn’t know the leaders of our order? Your teachers have been neglecting your training, I’ll have a word with them about that.

…..

The Envoy had landed in a great swamp that merged with a forest, and transmuted itself into a mighty temple of stone reducing its size throughout the entire process. At the center of the structure, it took the shape of a pyramid with graduated steps so big only a giant could climb them. From within came a being that could’ve passed for an ordinary human, a woman with blond hair and blue eyes, a woman that looked exactly like Ailnea…

~~

Kythor landed outside the barrier and whistled in surprise. In place of the dense forest this area was known for, there were only fallen trees. Littered here and there were parts of the bodies of two dead swamp dragons.

“Lorenor, take point. I think something REALLY wanted to get through here. I’m afraid it’s probably waiting for us. Yes, I smell it. Human? I did not think a human that strong would be here. No, it’s different. There’s more than one, Human, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling, all types. THEIR APPROACHING!” Kythor shouted.

Indeed, a group of fifty Aibrone monks seemingly materialized out of the destruction. Ignoring Lorenor and Kythor, one of them immediately ran over to Ailnea.

“Ailnea! What has happened to you? Quick brothers, get her to the tents, she’s dying! We have to heal her.”

“You touch her, you die. How do I know that you won’t simply finish her off?” Kythor said.

“Because I trust them with my life, hand her over. If anyone can save her, it is them.” Lorenor said.

The monk seemed to only now register the fact that Lorenor and Kythor existed. He was one of the few monks that liked Ailnea, and to see her injured shocked him. Though Lorenor himself remembered that the fae at the tourist center warned them these monks had come ahead, he had no choice but to trust them, for Ailnea’s sake, otherwise he would have joined Kythor in his distrust.

Kythor refused to hand her over.

“No, I’ve taken her this far, I see this through to the end, lead the way then.” Kythor said.

Through what was essentially a tunnel they went. It had been carved through the super-dense undergrowth. Over their heads, all the bushes and branches enter-wove themselves into a sort of super-organism.

It let out into a great clearing, at the center of which stood piles upon piles of stone In the center stood part of a ruined temple. It looked in part like a pyramid, but the sides were not one single smooth slope. Instead, they were a series of graduating steps so tall; only a giant could climb them. A staircase of smaller stairs tan to the top upon which stood an alter with an orange glowing object on top of it. Its energies ran down the entire temple, and flowed through the clearing, disappearing as it went. When Ailnea entered the clearing, the entire field changed, and began to pull towards her, flowing like a river into her body.

That was of little concern to the monks who worked quickly to heal Ailnea. Kythor told them strange snake creatures poisoned her, and they worked even harder. It seemed they would fail, but at the last possible moment, she pulled through, and seemed to be sleeping peacefully, naturally.

“We’ll let her rest until tomorrow. Really I’m glad she arrived in time, I wasn’t sure she’d make it before passing.” A new voice said. It was Androgenus, and it was impossible to tell if the speaker was male or female. A bald monk the others gave deference to entered the tent, speaking as he/she came.

Kythor bristled and snarled, immediately untrusting of this stranger.

“My, such immediate distrust of her benefactor, I’m hurt Draconian. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Grandmaster Akim, I have known Ailnea since she was newly born, for I attended her birth myself. Really I am glad she pulled through, she’s the missing key to the puzzle here you know, the one thing that will allow me to achieve my objective.” The man said introducing himself.

“And what would that be?” Lorenor asked, placing one hand protectively on Ailnea. He had heard stories of this Grandmaster from other monks, and knew he was anything but friendly towards Ailnea.

“Ahh, the young neophyte Lorenor! What a joy to see two of my favorite monks traveling together. I’ll tell you what my goal is. Oh, others will tell you my goal is madness, but it is love instead. I love Althanas; I would give my life for it. Indeed, I love all life upon it, regardless of what path they take through life. There is a balance to this world you see, and N’jal is a necessary part of it. Indeed, all the dark gods are, just as all the other gods are. They influence the world and inturn shape the destinies of all mortals, no matter how indirectly. You see, they are the ones that set the order by which the world works. It is by them that the world turns as it does, why grass grows as it does, indeed, even why things evolve as they do. Yes, evolve. Evolution is why I am here, for the great balance is off.

You must understand one thing, if a thing does not change, it becomes obsolete, and eradicated. This is something the monks of AIbrone have observed in nature, tested, and found to be true. Yet, it pains me to no end knowing that Althanas has reached an Evolutionary plateau. It has in essence, reached a place where it cannot climb any higher. Don’t you think it odd that Alerar is the only country with advanced machinery? Don’t you find it strange that Scara Brae is always at peace with everyone? What of Corone? Why can’t it develop flying ships? Why must it be stuck in what is a comparative dark age? Why Corone? Why can’t Raiaera develop technology to rival Alerar? Why just technology? Why not magic? Well, I’m sure you can see for myself what I mean. And it’s not just development. The nations are constantly eyeing one another with suspicion. Alliances are formed and lost. You’d think by now they’d make some sort of an international political body, an organization neutral to all nations where they could meet and discuss their concerns peacefully.

As I said, we’ve reached a plateau. Soon, things will become far worse than they already are. Haven’t you ever met someone, and felt like you’ve met them before as a character in a story? Haven’t you ever done something, and feel like it was a story that’s already been told before? If not, then you will unless something is done about it. If things are left as they are, if the great balance is not corrected, then Althanas will die. All the stories will be told, all the characters made. Nothing new will ever occur, and the powers of the gods will lose their potency. Everything will be an empty hollow husk of what it once was, and worse than death, everything will simply be, neither living nor dying, neither moving nor remaining still. The world will slowly disappear, and then, this world that I love so much, will be gone.

Yet, there is hope, there is a way to save this world, which is why Ailnea is so important. Her alien gods, it has been said they touch many worlds. I intend to take their power, and as an act of tough love, turn it against Althanas. Faced with something new, Althanas will be forced to evolve once more, break through the barrier, and enter an unstoppable self-repeating cycle of evolution. Only Ailnea can unlock that power. Only Ailnea can save Althanas from its own demise. Parents show tough love to their children. Now we must show our world tough love to save it.” Akim said.

Kythor looked at Lorenor for a sign as to what to do. He didn’t know the stories of Akim, he didn’t know this man wasn’t someone to just brush off. Akim was a deadly man, and was known to be able to kill with thoughts alone; such was the strength of his mind. He didn’t need to threaten Lorenor, his reputation alone was threat enough to not fight him. Even still, he had control over all the monks he brought with him, making them sorely outnumbered. It was all in Ailnea’s hands, once she woke up and learned what was going on.

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    Hearing the man's words, Lorenor eyed Akim for a long time.

Ailnea was asleep, and the mutant stood alongside her person. Kythor was not too far off. Lorenor looked in Kythor's general direction, and then back to Akim. This is madness. Forced evolution? Using Ailnea as the key for a great destruction? N'Jal herself would not approve of this. Monks monitored Ailnea carefully to ensure that the healing process went off without a hitch. It was a mixed blessing that they had found the Monks when they had, otherwise, Ailnea might never had made it on her own. Lorenor had one option, but he was certain that Ailnea would never accept becoming one of the Forsaken.

Listening to Akim as he spoke, the mutant came up with one final conclusion. He is totally insane! He intends to use the power of the Eldricht Horrors on Althanas...this man must be stopped. Lorenor looked at Ailnea with a mixture of emotions in his heart. What was it that he felt towards the girl? Did he love her? He wasn't sure. But Ailnea's plight represented the world's plight. Whatever were Ailnea's talents, he wasn't certain they weren't meant to be used in that fashion.

Akim looked at Lorenor with a worried expression on his face.

"Why don't you say something? Not just everybody ever gets to hear of my master plan." Akim said. "With the use of Ailnea's power, we can save Althanas from stagnation!" Then, Akim extended his hand towards Lorenor, a gesture which shocked the mutant. "Join me Lorenor." The Elder Monk said with great emotion. "If you join me, I'll be certain you are rewarded and achieve rankings of power you could never achieve within the Order on your own." He waited for Lorenor's response.

"Lorenor, you're not seriously considering listening to this man?" Kythor said, who was all but ignored.

Akim was only interested in Lorenor's allegiance, and Lorenor alone.

Akim knew what Lorenor carried inside of him, and the Monk understood that they were entering an Age of Prophecy.

"All of the components have alinged to this very moment. We are all staring history in the face! Our children will remember this moment forever."

Lorenor looked at Ailnea's sleeping face. Then, as he stared at the young, beautiful girl, the mutant heard N'Jal's voice.

Oh my Paladin.

Heed my words well. For they are the Truth. Your Truth, our Truth, the Truth of Althanas itself. The Word of N'Jal is the Way.

The Order has become a stagnant organization. However, this man speaks the Truth. Yet, it is not for him to decide what happens to this child before. The legacy of Ailnea will be the legacy of Lorenor. It will be the legacy of Althanas. You must stick to your original decree and protect Ailnea at all costs.

The Eldritch Gods cannot be trusted, but Ailnea can.

Remember my words young Paladin, you must protect Ailnea with your life. The Seed you will plant into her is crucial for the Grand Scheme.

And N'Jal went silent. Lorenor looked at Akim, and a shadow befell his face.

"You intend to kill her, is this not true?" Lorenor accused.

"She will not survive the extraction process. She will most certainly die, but it is a necessary sacrifice in order to save Althanas." Akim kept his hand for Lorenor to take. "Please. Join with me Lorenor, together we can save Althanas!" Akim had a hopeful expression on his face.

Lorenor looked at Ailnea for a long moment, leaving Akim hanging on purpose. It was the purpose of the Monks to protect the innocent and Akim was talking about sacrificing one of his own. The needs of the many far outweigh the needs of the few or the one. Lorenor knew that Althanas had been around for a long time before Lorenor and Akim, and it will be around a long time after them. Who were they to bring about such a climatic change that would bring about the loss of many innocent life forms? Whilst Lorenor was lawful evil, he had a sense of honor and an appreciation for life as a precious gift. As a leech himself, he'd obtained that sense of importance towards life. Lorenor passed a hand through Ailnea's hair. A strange expression crossed his face.

"She is so beautiful when she sleeps. I am just noticing that right now."

"Lorenor, now is not the time for that!" Kythor responded.

"Have you ever stopped and just look at how beautiful she is?" Lorenor continued. "So what she keeps secrets within her, we all have our secrets, why should she die because of them?"

"Her gift is not her fault. It is simply being born in the wrong place at the wrong place. I swore an oath to protect her Akim. You wish to take her away from me." Lorenor suddenly became angry. "Ailnea belongs to me!"

"Her future will not be decided by us, but by her own free will!"

Suddenly, Lorenor drew his prevalida weapon. "I am not afraid of change, and to face you would bring about great change!" He looked at Akim. "In the name of the Order, Akim, I hereby proclaim that you are unfit to lead us!" And the mutant ran at Akim. "Kythor, protect Ailnea at all costs, I will deal with this usurper of the Order!"

GP

Name
    Ailnea
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    Job
    Aibrone Monk

Ailnea was confused, she felt like she was swimming, as though in an ocean, yet all she saw was a great empty darkness around her. Then she felt something massive around her, and her mind was filled with pictures and scenes from other times and places.

“Welcome home, we’re so glad to have you back sister!” an average looking human man was saying. He was on a strange black surface with white lines, filled with an assortment of odd looking metal objects on four wheels. Giant metal objects roared overhead, cylinders in shape, flying like Alerarian airships.

“I thought you were gone for good.” A black haired elven woman cried as she hugged a wounded elven man close in a forest with pouring rain.

“The presence I felt, was it you?” a timid and frail looking old man asked a floating spirit. They were in an old church, light pouring in through broken stained glass windows and filtered by flying dust and hanging cobwebs.

“I don’t understand, who are you, where am I, what do you look like, for that matter, what’s going on, am I dead?” Ailnea asked.

Suddenly, she saw a large crowd of people laughing. Then it changed to two guards on top of a castle overlooking an empty and thoroughly unremarkable plain.
    “Wait, you’re serious aren’t you? This is worse than I thought.” One of the men said.

……….

Akim smiled as Lorenor charged him with his sword. He made an attempt at blocking and trying to dodge just to lead him on, but in the end, let Lorenor kill him. Akim faded away laughing, as a dead Neophyte fell to the ground.

He reappeared occupying the spot where Ailnea was.

“Murdering an innocent bystander, now that’s a serious charge. Now my illusion is overlaying Ailnea’s body, will you kill her too, or is your mind too addled with rage to think properly? I could legally have you killed here on the spot you know, you did just commit murder. However, I think I will just wait and tell the other Grandmasters. But Onox, Honored Elder, I tried to stop him but he caught us by surprise, and murdered one of his brothers in cold blood. We only tried to help Ailnea, but alas, we got to her too late. Worse yet, we discovered a small hamlet in Dheathain as we were returning with the prisoner, all the people there were killed by his hand as well. He forced the village chief’s son to watch as his own son was killed in a most brutal manner. I know we remain neutral, but surely in this matter, we can set that aside and neutralize this threat once and for all.” Akim said, repeating exactly what he would tell the others.

“Oh don’t look so surprised Kythor, I’m a Psion, I can read your mind like an open book, I just didn’t think it would be a children’s book. I know of your pitiful hamlet, and can easily carry out my threat. I walked right through there with all these monks. I know, you don’t remember a thing, I erased your memories. However, I will make you a deal Kythor, after all, you wouldn’t want to side with a cold-blooded murderer, now would you? What would your son say, your precious, tender little son? I might keep him alive, little boys are so precious you know. Sorry, got distracted there, where was I, oh yes, a deal. Side with me, and I’ll forget your whole part in this, and I’ll let your village live. I won’t even lay a hand on your little boy.” Akim said smiling.

“You keep you hands off my son you sick bastard, or I’ll find out where you really are and show you just how I feel about people like you.” Kythor said.

“As for you Lorenor, your life is on the line, the citadel was the last safe haven you had, the one spot where no one could touch you. Isn’t it a pity we will have to make an exception for the first time in the order’s history? That is, if you don’t go along and help me get the power of the Eldritch Horrors. Of course if your still feeling violent, I know where to find a couple Knights of Dawn, fine fellows too, their prowess in battle equals your own, I’m sure two at once wouldn’t be a problem. Of course, they ARE captains, so their troops would HAVE to come along too, so I’m certain a couple dozen Knights of Dawn won’t be a problem for you, even if you are bound and gagged at the time, completely disarmed of all your weapons and armor. I know they would love to hear how you killed an innocent monk and turned against us, shall I go fetch them?” Akim said. One thing was for certain, he knew how to make a good threat.

………….

Ailnea was trying to make sense of what this strange presence wanted, but since it realized she did not know anything, it had gone silent.

“I would suggest you go back where you came from.” A dangerous looking knight on horseback said aiming a crossbow at a thief.

“But there’s a problem.” A guy in a white coat said to another in a metal room.

Suddenly, Ailnea could see outside her own body, and witnessed everything that transpired since she was taken to the temple, and healed, right up to the point where Akim made his threats. No one was aware of her extra presence, no one would be aware of her extra presence.

Then she saw herself, a short time into the future, she grabbed a glowing orange crystal and read an inscription beneath it.

“You just call me once everything is ready, I’ll take care of everything.” A confident looking man was saying to an evil looking man.

Then, she felt herself shooting upwards, as though towards the surface of a great lake.

………….
    Before Lorenor could answer Akim’s threat, Ailnea’s body visibly buckled as though hit by a heavy blow, distorting Akim’s illusion in the process. She sat up gasping for air.

“Don’t even bother Lorenor, I know. I don’t quite know who helped me but I shall assume it was a spirit of some sort. I watched as though I were a spirit outside of time and space. I know of Akim’s plan, and the threats he made. I know what he wants, and, I will give it to him, but understand, it is not apart of me, it’s apart of the temple. I’ll translate for him, and help him undergo the rituals.” Ailnea said after she recovered her breath. As she fell silent, she gave a slight wink to Lorenor to let him know, it was ok.

“Well, that’s more like it. Kythor and Lorenor will remain here then.” Akim said.

“Oh no, that’s not possible. Everyone has to come; the more bodies the more powerful the ritual. You wouldn’t want the powers of a second rate nobody would you?” Ailnea said.

“Hmm, you have a point.” Akim said, and disappeared.

“Have you gone crazy?” Kythor hissed.

“Kythor, whatever made you think I was sane to begin with? she asked, to which Kythor could not think of a suitable answer.

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    I never meant for this to happen... Lorenor thought to himself as he looked down upon the body of the fallen warrior.

A monk had perished at his own hands, a neophyte at that. They were all neophytes at one point or another, even the Grand Masters. Lorenor's body shivered with rage like a caged beast. Yet, he was powerless against Akim. He's a fucking Grand-Master! I couldn't even protect her, I...I couldn't save her... Then, he suddenly felt her presence return to the room. Somehow, she was far away during this entire time period, but she had returned to them just then. Lorenor turned towards the girl for a moment. Damn. Even like this I am helpless. I need more power... Lorenor thought to himself. He needed to be able to one day defeat, even a Grand Master.

Despite the fact that Lorenor had the N'Jal Protocol within his body, he could do nothing.

Despite the fact that Lorenor had the entire Necronomicon in his possession, he could still do nothing. What was it that he lacked? What was he missing?

Shaking his head, the mutant could do nothing but face his fate. Then, a new turn of events happened. When the hamlet was threatened, Lorenor was about to act but Ailnea intervened. The mutant found himself in an extremely uncomfortable spot. I am helpless. Just when he was about to accept fate was when Ailnea apparently saved the day. He saw the winking gesture, sheathed his weapon and prepared to simply go along. He looked down at the body of the neophyte. Sorry kid. This was not your fault.

"Let's get this over with then." Lorenor chose to ignore Akim for the time being. He did not have the power for a direct-assault. At least not yet.

However, the time would come...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast