Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Temple of The Eldritch Horrors (closed)

EXP: 3,996, Level: 1
    Level completed: 67%, EXP required for next level: 1,004
    Level completed: 67%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,004
    GP

Name
    Ailnea
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'5" 150 pounds, ten percent of which is body fat
    Job
    Aibrone Monk

Ailnea began to feel strange, the sensation starting shortly after she awoke. She knew it had to be the energies of this place, because she was Eldritch, and so were the energies. It was like one magnet attracting another. She could almost feel her body drinking in the rich energies. They made her feel good; the sensation of euphoria they brought on was addictive.

She climbed the small steps to the top and everyone had to stop and catch their breath at the top. There was an Altar; it was more like a pedestal than something designed for sacrifice. On the pedestal was a cracked orange sphere from which leaked all the magic her body was absorbing. She put her hands on it and felt a wave of power rush through her, it was overwhelming, making Ailnea become thoroughly addicted to the powers of The Eldritch. Raising the crystal and holding it to her chest, she cradled the orb like a newborn baby. Then she noticed the inscription on the pedestal, and remembered what she had to do.

“Hy’nsh magorna, ysn’grna, haeia Xlrn’envthy. Mrsmsm’dm, simry qlkotec, haeia Xlm’envthy. Rsterie lexostia.” Ailnea at first read aloud, then chanted repeatedly. The orange sphere grew bright, and Akim waited with eager anticipation, thinking this was it.

The power leaked from the orb had spread out across Dheathain, becoming weaker as it went, more unnoticeable. Yet now an unseen force reached out for that magic, drawing it back in, as powerful in the far reaches, as it was at the temple. The energies began rushing back toward the temple, gathering size and power as they went, rolling like a tsunami. Collecting all Eldritch energies as they went, only the normal magic of Althanas remained. Even the creatures affected by Eldritch magic returned to normal suddenly.

It had taken well over a century for the power to leak to the farthest reaches of Dheathain, yet now it took only about one hundred seconds for it all to return, shrouding the entire clearing in a dense fog none could see through. A low rumbling could be heard, and as the fog cleared, as though a thunderstorm had arrived. The forest around them creaked and groaned, and the eldritch energies broke upon the temple like water. When the fog was gone, all could see the temple visibly repairing itself. Cracks sealed themselves shut, and outlying buildings around the main temple rebuilt themselves. They could hear deeper groaning inside the temple, as the internal structures rebuilt and repaired themselves.

The fog had all condensed and coalesced upon Ailnea. She felt lost inside it, becoming apart of something else that was somehow still her, a drop of water becoming one with the ocean. Then it all died away as the fog disappeared, and by all appearances, it took Ailnea with it, leaving a horrifying monster in its place.

This thing had a face like most humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes and Halflings. Two eyes, a nose, a mouth, ears. Except this thing’s eyes were simply two large blue discs. There were no pupils, no whites, and no other color. Just two fields of cerulean. It had hair, but it was like a living thing. It slithered about like snakes, rustled about like a massive swarm of cockroaches crawling over each other. Then it stood, for previously it had been on its knees, its torso hunched over its knees. As it stood, its robe fell open slightly, and proved to be a female monster. Most curiously, it was wearing the very same robes Ailnea was wearing, and Kythor began to get even more suspicious. On its hands were long curved claws, like daggers. Last of all, was its flesh. The entire monster was one uniform shade of grey, as if it was a living rock. Its eyes were the only variation in color. It matched the temple it stood upon completely in color.

Everyone stared in shock and horror at the sight of the thing before them. It took a deep breath, and upon exhaling, breathed out a puff of smoke. Akim kneeled before it.

“As satisfying as this image is, I won’t give you my powers Akim, you don’t deserve them. I am, well, never mind who I am, my name is unspeakable in your tongue, and if you were to try, I would have to rip out your tongue and tie your vocal cords together. Akim, I’d be happy to oblige if you really wanted to speak my name properly. I took Ailnea’s place in this world. You may call me The Envoy, for it is as close to my real name as you will ever get. I am one of The Eldritch Horrors. If you really want to gain Eldritch power, then rise and follow me inside, I know of a way that doesn’t require me giving you any power at all.” The monster said, introducing itself. Its voice grated in one’s mind, for it sounded like many voices speaking as one in a place with an echo, attacking one’s very sanity.

She descended past Akim, stopped, and looked at Lorenor and Kythor.

“These two, they will come with us. All the rest will be destroyed if they enter my body, my temple upon which we stand, of this I promise.” She said, turning back to Akim.

Standing next to her, there certainly was an unusual feeling of horror that radiated from her body, inspiring unrelenting fear in those that felt it. Most of the monks couldn’t resist, and were slowly backing away. Kythor and Lorenor, two experienced warriors, would most likely be able to resist, much like they could resist the effect of her voice, but would still feel some of it. Akim was too much in awe of what he was in the presence of to even bother with any other feeling. Suddenly The Envoy turned back to Kythor and Lorenor, and gave them a quick telling wink, then moved on.

Ailnea knew it was her speaking, it was her doing everything, but she felt like a child in an adult’s body, everything was so strange. She was afraid Akim would discover she wasn’t The Envoy, that the absorption of so much power broke her mother’s protective spell that made her look human. Her words were based on the memories she had that were clearly someone else’s memories, and the reaction of the strange nameless presence she had encountered in the void. She prayed hard to whoever would listen that the inside of the temple would help her.

EXP: 5,976, Level: 3
    Level completed: 25%, EXP required for next level: 3,024
    Level completed: 25%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,024
    GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Blue (Deeply inset eye-sockets, no eyeballs, only a glowing energy)
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    Initially, the wave of power flowed across Dheathain proper and cascaded into the orb that Ailnea held. A few moments later, there was a great transformation. The mutant looked upon the visage of the Eldritch Horror, and saw not a thing to fear, but a thing of beauty. Being a creature of the Living Dark, Lorenor was impressed at the entity he saw before him. The panic aura, or presence of horrors, flowed through the mutant's body and awakened the nano-virus within his vessel.

Lorenor fell to his knees as the beautiful savage before him gathered her newly acquired power. It was a thing to behold. Lorenor allowed his knuckles to rub against the solid stone beneath him. With his senses peaked at the presence of the Living Dark, the mutant could feel and sense things that most would miss. The wave of Eldritch energies passed across the mutant also filling him with visions of terrifying sights.

Able to see the glowing energy passing across the stone, it was a beautiful color. Vibrant and alive, the power carried with it sounds and voices. The mutant could hear whispers of some entities calling to him, lulling him with their promise of power. However, a curious thing happened as well. As the mutant was tempted to submit to the Will of the Eldritch Horrors, a powerful vision coursed through his immense mind.

This vision was of a shadowy organism. A manifestation of the Living Dark, the entity was the Darkness itself. Staring at the mutant with eyes made of pure unadulterated power, Lorenor bowed down before the being. He knew that it was the Dark Lady, N'Jal. I can never leave you. I am always with you, I shall always be your Paladin. Forgive me Ailnea, but I can never be a part of your people though I long for it. I am a Spider-Magi... Lorenor thought to himself as he stood up in time to notice The Envoy winking. The mutant nodded at the instructions and proceeded to walk closely to Ailnea's person. He looked at Akim as Akim followed...I am going to kill you.

The mutant thought to himself.

GP

Name
    Ailnea
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    Job
    Aibrone Monk

“So, Ailnea, is she, dead?” Akim asked, curious to know the young girl's fate.

Ailnea, leading the way down, narrowed her brows in anger.

“How dare he be concerned with my fate now?” She thought.

“No. She is with us, in the black sea beyond the stars. She is home, among her people. She will not be returning to Althanas, ever again. Even I will be leaving shortly, the only connection to The Eldritch will be you.” Ailnea said.

She turned, and entered the temple. At her touch, the walls lit up, banishing the darkness with their light. There was writing on the walls. Ailnea stopped to touch some of it.

“What does it say, is it what we need?” Akim asked.

Ailnea read the walls quickly.

“These are my memories, tales of what I have done here on Althanas, and my knowledge of The Eldritch. I shall read some of them to you.” Ailnea said.

In time immemorial I fell from the sky. On this spot, I turned my body to stone, and from it, created a temple from which to send forth my spirit into The World. Something had called to us, wanted us here, and so I came to answer its call.

After five years of investigation, I discovered that which called us was actually the rebirth of the world upon which I landed. Once it was known as Tanthanas, yet now it seemed, it would be called Althanas. I walked the world, to enjoy its fresh young beauty, encountering many marvelous sights. Yet it was not to be. Thinking I was here to take what was theirs, they killed me.

I was reborn, days later, from the flesh of their children. After growing into the form of an adult human female over several years, I reached out to the gods, and explained the truth. I then challenged them to a contest. Whomever could take more followers, was clearly the stronger pantheon.

From there, I set forth into the world. The contest was supposed to last 5,000 years, it has been over 15,000 years, and still, they will not give back what is ours, even though the contest is a draw.

“You mean to tell me there's some sort of an ongoing contest with you and the Thayne?” Kythor asked, interrupting Ailnea's narrative.

“Yes. It ended ages ago. Yet they will not return what is ours, so we will not return what is theirs. This was to be Ailnea's task, to act as intermediary. It is why she was born on Althanas, and raised by The Aibrone monks. To be the neutral party, whose hands could extend into both worlds, and end our private feud with the gods of Althanas. But it is too late now. Because of Akim, we are unable to send her back. Instead, we will simply have to settle things the hard way, and invade Althanas with the full might of The Eldritch Horrors. We will turn your oceans to fire, your lands to blood, and your air to pestillence. We will devour your dead, and assimilate your living. Lastly, we will destroy your gods, and rule Althanas as an extension of The Black Sea, The Gulf between Spheres.” Ailnea said, making things up on the spot.

Akim looked delighted by the foretelling of Althanas's destruction.

“Excellent, I couldn't have planned it better myself!” Akim said, exuberent.

“Yet you still desire our power, the power of madness?” Ailnea asked.

“Yes.” Akim said, looking greedy.

Kythor felt disgusted.

“Well, I guess that's up to The Observer, now isn't it?” she asked.

This temple was filled with traps, of many varieties. She triggered one on purpose, a pressure plate in the floor. It wasn't hard to see, what looked to most to be cracked tiles, was actually tiles with writing on them. This one read “Time Delay arrow trap”.

Akim narrowly dodged the arrows as they flew out of the walls.

“What was that for?” he demanded angrily.

“Simple. I'm not going to keep any of you safe from my traps and tricks. I'm going to throw ever single one of them at you. If you can't keep alive all the way to the inner sanctum, then you don't deserve to be mad. Yet, you have to keep the other two alive as well. I'm going to cut out their hearts. I'm going to eat one, and sacrifice the other to The Observer to bring him here.” Ailnea said in as cold hearted a tone as she could muster.

It convinced Akim, who had yet to try and read her mind.

“Fine. I'll keep them alive. I deserve madness for my dedication.” Akim said.

Ailnea smiled. It was a well known fact in Althanas, one she would use against Akim. Be careful what you wish for, you might get it. If she kept him wishing for madness long enough, when she did figure out how to summon The Observer, and succeed in doing so, his fervent wishing for madness would allow The Observer to drive him insane. If he was as powerful as Ailnea suspected he was, then surely The Observer already knew of this plan.

Kythor meanwhile groaned, as he began looking about with far more suspicion than normal. He only hoped Ailnea wouldn't share anymore of her memories. Ancient history fascinated him, and it proved to be distracting.

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    What am I doing here? A follower of N'Jal?! This woman now reveals herself to be my enemy, yet I am sworn by an oath to protect her. What is it that I am feeling? I need answers... Lorenor thought to himself as he listened for the call of the N'Jal Protocol. However, in this temple where The Observer lurked, the connection was quiet. Some outside force was interfering with his connection to the N'Jal Protocol. Shaking his head, Lorenor looked at Akim for a moment. He could see Akim staring back at him with a furious expression on his face after she'd triggered the trap purposefully. I don't need your help to stay alive. Lorenor thought to himself as he stared at Akim. Feeling the sentient structure of the temple, the mutant switched his vision so that he could see the Antifirmanent. The temple had gray walls now, and markings that seemed burned into the walls. These markings reacted in the Antifirmanent to the mutant's presence. Lorenor looked at the markings and studied it for a moment. They were messing with his head, as he stared at the markings, they appeared to move in various ways.

Some of the marks appeared to grow larger, others, smaller. Some symbols even moved on their own, rotating to different positions on the walls. The mutant started to get a migraine by looking at the symbols. Something seemed dreadfully familiar to the mutant, something about the symbols reminded him of something he read long ago. Staring for a moment longer, the mutant knew that he did not have the intellectual capacity to decipher the symbols on his own. He therefore could not tell if Ailnea was lying to them or not.

Lorenor turned to look at Ailnea after her grand speech. Remembering the wink, he knew that she had some sort of a plan. He turned his attention back to Akim with a frown and pondered killing him right on the spot. There was just Kythor, Akim, Ailnea, and himself. He knew that Kythor would help him.

"Lorenor. You know something we don't?" It was Kythor speaking.

The mutant turned towards his newly acquired friend. He stared at Ailnea for a long moment. Distrust clearly on his face. Lorenor knew the odds, they were in a exceedingly dangerous place dealing with Gods that were from an entirely different pantheon. It could all be bullshit. The loyalist part of him wanted to smash Ailnea to a pulp for singing blasphemies that went against everything that N'Jal's High Priest believed to be true. He clenched his fists tightly until his knuckles popped. He was in a viper's den surrounded by vipers. Lorenor turned towards the entrance for a moment.

He knew that he had to make certain decisions based on his trust of the dark lady, N'Jal. The mission was clear: I have to protect Ailnea at all costs. Even from herself. Turning towards Kythor, the mutant knew the score well. He probably did not stand a chance against The Observer, but the mutant had a trick up his sleeve. He turned to look at Akim and a smile crossed his face for a moment. I'll use you as a meat-bag when the shit hits the fan.

"I've still got a job to do." Lorenor said calmly. He turned to look at Ailnea. "Let's do what we came here to do." He had to contain the venom in his voice when he spoke. He was clearly not a happy camper.

GP

Name
    Ailnea
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    Job
    Aibrone Monk

There are things of this world I do not understand. In my continuing efforts to resolve the conflict, I have discovered that the very energy that called us here, still holds us here. I have found the one who uses it, one of the Thayne, the very gods that first killed me. If she wants me to stay, why does she tell me to go?

I have walked among her followers, and they are all sheep, blind to the lies she spins around them, agreeing to false promises and begging for more.

Ailnea stopped reading the walls. Memories and knowledge of this other being were coming to her the longer she stayed in this place. If she could just kill Akim, everything would work out.

“Who is she talking about?” Kythor asked, but was ignored by Ailnea.

“Now, Akim, here is a challenge for you. It's a necessary one, or I can't summon Observer.” Ailnea said, and ran into a small room. Akim followed.

“SAVE ME!” Ailnea cried, wrapping her arms around a skeletal giant.

Akim laughed, and then suddenly stopped as blood seeped out of the floor and wrapped itself around the bones of the giant. Muscles and organs began growing out of the flowing blood, which then covered everything and turned to flesh. With a flash, the giant became armored in steel chain mail and leather breeches. A helmet with sapphires adorned its head, and it wielded a large spiked club.

It picked up Ailnea in its left, its club in its right.

“Ailnea? It's been a long time. I see you've dropped that ugly human disguise and resumed your true, natural form. It's far more beautiful than anything else.”

“AILNEA! YOU LIED TO ME, YOU ARE NOT THE ENVOY?” Akim roared.

“No, tiny thing, she did not. Ailnea is a goddess of the Eldritch pantheon. Ailnea is a translation of her true name into Althanas Common. Her true name sounds like thunder rolling near an exploding mountain during an earthquake. Obviously difficult for one such as you to pronounce. Thus why they name themselves simply in common based on their purpose. My lady Envoy, allow me to defend you.” the giant said.

Ailnea was set down in a corner, and she simply sat down, dazed and confused by the giant's message. She wasn't a goddess. An Eldritch creature yes, but one of the Horrors? No. It had to be wrong. It had to be another Ailnea. She began to cry, confused by this entire event.

Akim snarled and shot a bolt of pure Psionic energy at the giant. The helmet flashed brilliantly, and absorbed it. Akim paled, as the giant swung its club, and demolished part of the floor when he missed Akim. Ailnea screamed out as pain flooded her body unexpectedly.

Kythor's eyes widened in realization.

“By the dark lady, she meant it literally when she said this temple was her body. If we let that giant continue, then Ailnea will be killed by her own guardian! Akim is obviously unable to effect it, for I noticed how the helmet glowed when he attacked. I may not understand everything, but Ailnea is my friend. The rest is just details that can be worked out later.” Kythor said.

He launched himself at the giant, and grabbed on by the shoulders. The giant bellowed its fury and backpedaled into a wall, smashing Kythor up against it, knocking him unconcious. He would've fallen, but he got caught in the giant's chain mail.

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    Piecing things together rather quickly, Lorenor knew what he had to do. The temple was Ailnea. Lorenor had followed them quietly into the other chamber and heard everything. He saw the giant being formed by the magic of the temple, and he saw the sudden rampage. Then, the mutant realized that something was terribly wrong. Wait a minute, if it knows the true nature of Ailnea, why would it hurt the temple knowing she was the temple!? This doesn't make any sense. Now, Lorenor would get his chance at avenging himself against Akim. Akim was his true target. The giant could fall if Lorenor could only gain control of Akim. Preparing a projectile made out of the Living Dark, the mutant felt power flow down his arm. Power amplified by the presence of the living temple. Lorenor ran towards the giant and Akim as the two warriors fought. All I need is one shot. N'Jal, guide my hand true! And Lorenor threw his Plague Grenade across the room and towards Akim's general person.

Lorenor knew since Akim's back was to him, the mutant would have an exceedingly rare chance to take care of the bastard. Kythor's distraction would only further aide the mutant in his endeavors. Being the cunning, ruthless bastard that he was, Lorenor always stuck to the mission. The mission was to see Ailnea safely to the temple and always protect her.

A small, spherical orb constructed of the Living Dark was launched from Lorenor's left hand towards Akim's back. It flew silently through the air like a harbinger of death. Swirling on its own structure, the orb rotated quickly until it neared Akim's person. Then, Lorenor willed something else to happen. With a thought, the mutant sealed the fate of the giant, and of Akim. There was a sudden explosion generated by the Living Dark and the air withing the resonance sphere was filled with billions upon billions of tiny metallic insects. These insects moved quickly towards Akim, with one goal in mind: assimilation.

The mutant continued his forward run even as the nano-virus would have infected Akim in his moment of sudden weakness. Once he was in range, Lorenor drew his magnificent prevalida longsword and prepared to attack the giant. Jumping through the air and activating his flight mechanism, the mutant moved gracefully. He lunged forward and got between Akim and the giant, attempting to intercept the spiked club as it came in for another attack.

"You!? What devilry is this!?" The giant called out to Lorenor. "The carrier of N'Jal will not defeat one of the Fell Giants!"

"You fool! You are hurting The Envoy!" Using every last ounce of strength that Lorenor could muster, the mutant intercepted the attack and held the enemy's weapon in place. Sparks from Lorenor's connection with the club flew in the air. The giant howled with a blind rage. And suddenly, something happened. Lorenor's masterwork prevalida sword began to chip away at the giant's club. Swinging upward with all of his strength, Lorenor would defeat the club, then, he would defeat the giant himself...

GP

Name
    Ailnea
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    Job
    Aibrone Monk

Akim never saw the orb coming. It hit him full in the side, and he fell over in shock.

The giant dropped the club and turned to Ailnea.

“Mistress, please, tell them I did not mean to hurt you!” the giant cried.

“Enough, all of you. I achieved my goal, Akim's been neutralized.” Ailnea said wearily.

“Now, far be it from me to tell you what to do Mistress, and I know things have probably changed since I last drew breath, but shouldn't we get him out of here, or do something with him?” the giant asked happy that he wasn't in trouble.

Kythor eyed the giant with a weary eye, not sure if he should run off screaming while he still could, or if he should plunge deeper into this mad place.

“He is right. I don't know how long he's been dead, but it's always been a poor tactical maneuver to leave an enemy unsecured.” Kythor said.

“Oh I've been dead at least a thousand years.” the giant said.

“Giant, I know this room is exceptionally large, but can you leave the small room?” Ailnea asked.

“I can take any size I wish, of course I can leave, but what has this to do with the unconscious man?”

“Everything. Do you retain your impressive strength?” She asked.

“Yes, of course. My strength does not depend on my muscle mass. My strength comes from you. So long as you exist my goddess, I am stronger than even a mighty Behemoth.” The giant replied.

“One last question. What makes you think I'm The Envoy?” Ailnea asked.

“I see flesh, the physical world. But, I see the spiritual world as well. This world has a spiritual world. I believe it is called, The Anti-Firmament. I see into this world as clearly as I see its physical counter-part. I see your soul, Mistress. Only your soul can look like yours does. If anyone were to look at you, see onto the spiritual plane, they would see the beautiful twisting mass of tentacles and claws that is your truest Eldritch form. You have no definitive form, you may take any that comes to mind, so long as you are in your truest form. To that end, your closest followers, myself and others in other places, have all learned to see your spirit. That is how I know you are The Envoy. I see your soul, and it is one and the same. Now you are in your lesser form.” The giant said.

“But I cannot be a goddess you see, I have no divine power. I don't even have magic. Sure I used the orb to restore the temple, but that's because I read some words under the orb. It must have been my mother that was the goddess. I must simply bear a striking resemblance. Now grab Akim and follow me, we're going to the heart of this place to call forth The Observer.” Ailnea said.

The giant complied, and followed closely behind Ailnea, Akim slung over his shoulder like a rucksack. He shrank to seven feet in size. Now that he was small, the room he was in seemed enormous.

Ailnea lead them down the hall, and read more from the walls.

Each passing century yields more surprises about this world. Just this past decade I learned of a group of monks called Aibrone. They just finished building a place called The Citadel, and have decided to create arenas inside for anyone who wishes to fight. Not wanting anyone to actually die, their going to put their legendary powers of healing to the test, and resurrect all fallen warriors within their halls.

“Wait a minute, your telling me that you were there at the founding of The Citadel? That was bloody ages ago!” Kythor shouted excitedly.

Ailnea and the giant both turned and eyed him crossly for interrupting her. Kythor shrank back and put his hands up defensivly.

“Sorry, continue on.” he said sheepishly.

Yet, for all the pleasantness this world contains, I cannot help but wish my spiritual brothers and sisters were here too. The tyranny of Nightmare has turned the gulf beyond the stars into a place no thinking creature could find pleasant. It is as a great infinite black void. There is no gravity, no up, no down, no left, no right, no direction of any kind. All of us, and are followers, are all so completely separated from each other, it is as though we are the only things to exist there. Perhaps eventually I will find a way to free them from Nightmare.

They reached a cavernous room, clearly larger than the temple. As they looked, it shrank down, then grew large, and continued on, like a beating heart. Ailnea looked at the giant for some explanation. He cleared his throat, and looked back at her, not knowing what she wanted.

“Well, what is this place?” Ailnea asked.

“Your heart, Madam. If this room is destroyed, you will die. This room is thus filled with, at last counting, exactly one thousand and one traps. Even if the rest of the temple were to decay and collapse, this room would keep on. Only one other room can make that claim, and that room, is our destination. The key lies in the floor, it is covered in Eldritch. Thus, if you can read Eldritch, you will know where to walk. However, because the room keeps beating, the floor keeps changing, what is right for you, will not be right for me, or your friends.” The Giant said.

Ailnea shrugged, and walked onto the floor. Forward, left, right, forward, back forward left, right, forward, she weaved about like a drunk staggering down the road. The giant forth, forward, right, right, forward, left, forward, left, right, left, right, backward, backward, forward, forward, he almost made it across when he stepped wrong. The entire floor lit up, and the room speed its motion up considerably. Ailnea sank to the floor, her hand on her chest.

“Mistress! I apologize!” the giant cried. He leaped off the floor just as it melted into boiling lava.

“It will reset shortly.” the giant yelled back.

Kythor turned to Lorenor.

“I would carry you, but I'm not that strong, nor that skilled. Besides, if Akim wakes up, one of us should be there, before Tiny over there brings the roof down in his excitement.” Kythor said.

With that, he unfurled his wings, and glided across. As he touched down, the lava chilled, and the floor resumed its normal form.

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    For a brief moment, Lorenor pondered his place in this event. His attack had caught Akim, but he was denied the kill. Still transforming into one of the Undead, the fellow was manhandled by the giant. Lorenor stared at Akim with seething hatred for a long moment until he realized that they were preparing to move on into the next chamber.

Energy passed through the temple walls. This energy seemed to remind the mutant of something, something he was very familiar with. However, he decided that the similarities between the energy and that certain something were nothing more than coincidence. His eyes focused on the task at hand, he readied himself to kill Akim. Lorenor walked towards the elder monk but then, the giant grabbed Akim. Cursing silently to himself, Lorenor looked at the giant for a moment and decided that his vengeance would have to wait.

As they walked to a new chamber, Lorenor felt an inherent sense of danger all around his person. It was as if thousands of eyes were greedily upon his person. Lorenor did not step foot in the chamber right away. Kythor moved upon wings and somehow managed to make it through the long chamber without a scratch. Lorenor wondered how much of that was just dumb luck.

For a moment, Lorenor simply stared. Why does this shit always have to happen to me? He sighed as he looked across the air between himself and the rest of the chamber. He stared for as far as he could, extending his auspex powers to their maximum capacity. He knew he would need them. Slowly, he began to move forward to step foot on the tiled, and sectioned chamber before him. But, the mutant hesitated. A greater instinct filled his heart.

Lorenor. Listen to me. These entities, they are not the Thayne. You do not have any allegiance to them. You can walk away right now. Nobody would blame you. It was N'Jal. The dark lady, speaking. Lorenor's foot wavered above the ground into the chamber, and for the first moment he hesitated. Lorenor found himself thinking about the brave nun named Ailnea. He thought about Kythor and his personal sacrifices, he also thought about the villagers waiting patiently back in Dheathain for their legendary hero. Clenching his fists as he stood there with one foot hanging out atop the abyss, the mutant closed his eyes.

Sweat began to pour down his body and he shook. His foot returned back to the original position and never stepped onto the chamber. Instead, a plan began to form. Lorenor's sharp eyes could detect the various elemental triggers floating in the air, moving at will. The mutant felt power flowing from that chamber. A power that could perhaps be harnessed down the road. The giant explained that this room was Ailnea's beating heart. For some reason, that thought disturbed the mutant greatly.

What am I doing here!? He thought again for the umpteenth time. He knew that the trapped chamber would be the death of him somehow. I am just unlucky like that. His eyes narrowed as the idea formed in his head. Listen to me Lorenor. Just walk away from this. It will be the end of you. Trust in me this time, do-not disobey. I am telling you how you can walk away unscathed. But Lorenor knew what he had to do.

My master. Forgive me. I swore an oath to protect Ailnea. An oath! But I can-not do this alone. I need your help. If I step unto that death-trap I will be no good to you. There was a pause. Lorenor listened to the word of N'Jal who was his Master. I don't know what to do. If I step on that mine-field, it will be all over. Lorenor clenched his fists tightly, waiting for a response. I can-not allow you to fall my chosen one. So I will show you the way. Believe in it, for the will of N'Jal can-not be undone. Trust in my word. For it is the truth. The answers you seek are within the Antifirmanent. And the voice went quiet afterward, a warmth filling the mutant's heart. His eyes opened and he looked at the traps for a moment. The closest of the traps.

"Fuck this place."

Lorenor thought to himself and activated his power. The capacity to traverse the Firmanent and the Antifirmanent required a tremendous amount of concentration. With the traps staring down upon him with murderous intent, the mutant prepared himself for the transition. For a moment, the Antifirmanent and Firmanent were as one. This was a transition phase out of necessity.

In the Firmanent, Lorenor's body blurred from one plane of existence to the next. It vanished completely from the Firmanent and planted itself on the Antifirmanent. True to the words of Ailnea and the giant, the Antifirmanent warped and twisted the physical structure of the temple. Lorenor's undying eyes could see tendrils of energy passing through the temple's structure that flowed to one common source. In shock, the mutant realized that the tendrils were all flowing to the body of Ailnea! What in the pyre is this?! Lorenor cursed to himself. In the Antifirmanent, the physical mechanics of anti-reality were apparent.

Trap-triggers that formerly moved in and out of their starter positions were stationary now offering Lorenor a way through the chamber without too much trouble. Even the walls themselves had gained a much-more organic feel to them. Instead of looking like stone, the structure had gained a much more living, breathing aesthetic to it. Somehow, the mutant was equally fascinated and disturbed by this discovery. Looking ahead, he saw that the traps in the entire chamber were behaving in much the same way as the ones he could spot. Lorenor would have to find a quick and easy way to maneuver through the temple's trap-room.

A moment or two passed. Lorenor had activated his powers of flight. The enchanted trinket cast its spell upon the mutant. Flying through the air, the mutant took the walls, and carefully avoided the stationary trap-triggers where he could see them. Moving at best speed, the mutant began to cover impressive ground in short time. The room had grown to its full distance and the mutant only had about a couple minutes of flying time. Even at best speed, it wouldn't be enough.

So Lorenor took advantage. Using his impressive speed and reflex capacity, the mutant began to jump over traps, and evade whatever he could. In the Antifirmanent, the traps were stationary which gave Lorenor a tremendous advantage. After evading one of the last few traps, something unpredictable happened. One of the traps, capable of maneuvering in the Antifirmanent as well, slammed into the mutant hard before he realized what had happened.

Falling to the ground and skidding several paces, the mutant realized that he had just triggered a large trap. Standing up in his defensive combat stance, Lorenor cursed loudly. Damn! How in the pyre did that happen!? Waiting to see the reaction of the trap-trigger, Lorenor looked behind himself and saw something tremendously bad. An elemental creature had manifested that had started to trigger traps at random, on purpose, in an attempt to mess Lorenor up. Then, the tall beast was no longer alone.

Several other elementals manifested with the original creature and all turned with their glowing eyes to look upon the mutant.

There were approximately ten of the creatures looking at Lorenor. Their bodies were composed of various energetic properties. One was stone, Lorenor guessed that one was meant to be earth. The mutant drew his prevalida sword and prepared himself for imminent danger. The true journey had begun.

GP

Name
    Ailnea
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    Job
    Aibrone Monk

The giant began backing up, and slowly turned around. He grabbed Ailnea and took off running.

“RETREAT!” he bellowed.

Kythor was torn. He wanted to follow Ailnea, but he couldn't abandon the one man he considered to be holier than his father. He couldn't see any reason to run, but the giant grabbed Ailnea and took off running carrying both her and Akim like sacks slung over his shoulder.

What should he do, should he trust a creature that only a short while ago had gone berserk and tried to kill him while trying to kill Akim? Should he stay and try to help the paladin of his goddess? Fortunately, the decision was made for him when Lorenor materialized and kept pace with the giant. He took off after them, down the hall they raced, Kythor not knowing why. A growing rumble behind him begged for a look, and Kythor regretted giving it that look when he saw the materializing elementals chasing them.

Quickly they darted through a door, and Ailnea slammed it shut behind them. Of its own accord it sealed off the cracks and became a solid wall. The rumble kept up for several minutes, then died off. Kythor looked around the room, there were pictures on the wall, of beings far more horrifying than he could imagine. Niether he, nor the giant noticed Akim waking up.

“Who, what are these things?” Kythor asked.

“These are they who rule beyond the stars, the gulf between spheres. The five greatest Horrors. First, there is my mother, Xth`nvy. Or, in common, The Envoy. We touch a great many places, and as such, she is less frightening than the others. It is she who makes our first forays into each new place we visit. She manifests before her followers as a great mass of tentacles and claws without a source.

Then there is he who forever wanders, Grthrvlnx , at least that's as close as I can come, pronouncing it directly. A good translation would be The Traveler. He holds dominion over the mysteries of time and space, a riddle forever being unsolved, forever begging to be solved. He appears in a million different shapes and forms, never appearing the same way twice.

There is Msg'hftr, or as you would better understand, Master. Master has no shape, and no form. He exists solely as a field of energy, always changing color. Master knows the secret to true power, for he has every power. Even knowledge is power. He used to rule until Nightmare came along.

Nightmare, no Eldritch name, when he first came to us he introduced himself as The Nightmare King. He lurks among us, invisible and unseen. He preys on our very existence, making us doubt ourselves, turning us into figments of his imagination. How easily he can destroy existence itself. Even Adamantine, a metal known to be indestructible, that too can be destroyed in Nightmare's grasp.” Ailnea said, she stopped, and leaned against a fifth portrait, pale and trembling.

“Something about that entire concept terrifies me, as though I should know it personally.” She said. She turned, and backed away from the last portrait, showing a swarming mass of eyes.

She picked up a gem in the corner, and pointed it at four candles that stood in the pentagonal room. Grey fog began to rise from them, distorting each person's view of the room, making it seem as though the portraits were living moving things. The eyes seemed to swim about on their wall.

“I'm glad everything's clearly marked. Behold the last god on this wall, the watcher from beyond time and space, The Observer. He exists in the past, the present, and the future simultaneously. He dwells in every point in space. Watching and listening, Observer knows even the greatest of secrets.” Ailnea said.

“What happened, where am I? What is this foul substance that makes these terrifying sights dance on the walls?” Akim asked.

“Giant, place the monk before Observer's picture, and make sure he stays there. We wouldn't want our sacrifice running off, now would we? This was my plan all along Akim. To use you to summon someone who helped me on my way here, someone with a great many secrets to share.” Ailnea said.

She stooped, and read small carvings on the bottom of the wall next to Akim carefully, the giant holding Akim in place. Then she stood, and returned to Kythor and Lorenor. She grabbed their hands and held on tightly.

“I told you you would be safe if you are with me. Giant knows his place, I am certain of that.” Ailnea whispered.

If one could see the anti-firmament, one would see that everything was happening there. The tentacles and claws that made up Ailnea's spirit were reaching out for The Observer's portrait, and seemed to reach into it, pulling him out.

Light flashed from nowhere, and Kythor tensed. Ailnea disappeared, and in its place was a thing made of tentacles and claws, and it had a hold of him. The eyes of The Observer seemed to be countless in number, and were swimming off the wall and invading the other walls. Light flashed, and Ailnea was back. Kythor began to understand what the giant was seeing.

Ailnea watched in satisfaction as Akim squirmed in fear. Now the eyes were invading the ceiling. Next would come massive dimensional activity. The ground shook and trembled, and Ailnea remained firm. This summoning was an act of will. For it to succeed, The firmament must touch the anti-firmament directly, each superimposing itself upon the other, thus merged into one.

What the hell was she? Akim knew that if he got out of this alive, he would have to destroy her, she was something unnatural, she didn't belong here! He regretted even coming here, for it seemed to be apart of her, as though it were an extension of who she was. Energy seemed to lance into her from the temple. Akim froze in fear, the eyes, they weren't carvings, they were real!

Little by little, the temple ceased to be stone, and became living flesh, each eye, an actual eye, light shining from a small one in the ceiling to keep the room illuminated. They looked in upon the room, watching everything. Three eyes pointed at Akim, and energy shot out of them and into him, dissolving him. Unfortunatly, Giant got caught in the fire, and he was dissolved too. Then the eyes sat there for a moment, watching the trio. Satisfied they were with Ailnea, they looked about. A large eye on a thick stalk came up out of the floor and hovered before the trio. Images flashed in its depths, and sound seemed to radiate from it.

“I am a friend.” an elf in a forest was saying to a dwarf.

“These things you see are not random, but intentional.” A wizard was saying to his apprentice in a tower..

“Do you understand?” a knight was saying to another in a castle.

Observer's form changed, changing the room. The trio were seperated and walls of stalks seperated them. The lights went out, casting them in utter darkness.

Lorenor would find himself alone in the darkness, images flashing around him.

“Thank you, sir, for keeping my friend safe. I am glad I can trust you.” a peasant was saying to a knight outside of a house.

“But the danger is not over yet.” an elf was saying to a child deep in a forest.

“Behold that which is to come.” a gypsy said, indicating her crystal ball.

Lorenor would find himself in the citadel. People passed through him indicating he was not there, or if he was, he was unable to interact with them. Akim was walking through the halls, partially rotted. The scene followed him. Everyone stopped and stared.

“Grandmaster, what happened to you? Come, let us heal you.” a monk said.

“Where is that monster?” Akim demanded.

“What monster?” the monk asked.

Akim glared at him, and the monk fell to the floor clutching his throat as though someone were choking him.

“WHERE IS SHE?” he roared. Other students tried to stop him, and they too grabbed their throats.

Shortly, they stopped struggling, all of them dead. He moved through the halls, and those who did not know where she was, died. He swept through the citadel as a plague, monks fleeing into the streets in terror. Grandmaster Onox fled with The Elder for safety, but a sneak attack took them down too. Akim found Ailnea, hiding in a closet.

“You bitch. You did this to me. YOU RUINED ME! Now I'm just a monster, like you. I'm going to do what I should've done long ago.” he said.

Ailnea tried running, but Akim was too fast. With a thought he levitated her, and bashed her against a wall. He held her there with his thoughts, flooding her being with great pain. Her death was slow, and painful, lasting well over an hour. An hour filled with nothing but Ailnea's screams.

“The future is never certain. Though in every instance, this event has come true. Yet if the present were to be altered by removing the factor that causes the event, then the entire time stream will be altered from that point on because the conditions have changed.” one Alerarian scientist was saying to another in some future time.

“I am limited, and cannot act, for this I am sorry. Agree to act in my stead, and I will do the only thing I can, and transport you.” a priest was saying to a thief in a church.

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    (Apologies for the long delay, I will make this post as EPIC as I am able to. Small bunny at the end of the post bro, I hope you don't mind it)

As the presence filled his unprepared brain, the mutant began to see a great many matters. These matters did not make sense at first, but as they flashed across his sensory grid, Lorenor understood. Each vision was tied into the previous one. On their own, they did not make sense. Together, it was part of a story that spanned the stars. Finding himself alone before the logic of this entity called The Observer, Lorenor finally understood his purpose. Though he was a follower of N'Jal, his place was alongside Ailnea as well. Lorenor saw the visions that regarded Akim and understood what it was that he had to do.

Lorenor knelt down before The Observer. He hoped that the gesture would be enough for The Observer to see that Lorenor would accept the mission that was before him now. Akim will die. Remove the threat, protect the nun, save The Horrors. When he felt that The Observer acknowledged his allegiance, Lorenor stood up and then he was transported. Time and space seemed to melt away as the rules of The Firmanent and Anti-Firmanent collided for a brief moment. A great scream across reality manifested as a special gate from Phantaria manifested before the mutant. He took the gate and was transported to a new plane of existence. A place that he could fight against Akim on equal footing.

All around the mutant and his opponent was an abyss. Stars flickered in and out of reality as The Eldritch Horrors observed the battle. Ailnea and Kythor were nowhere to be found. However, before him, stood Grand Master Akim.
    A look of confusion was etched upon his face. Lorenor stood on the abyss at a few feet away from Akim. He stared at Akim's front. It was clear to Lorenor that the man had not yet grasped what had just happened to all of them, what they had just witnessed. Lorenor wore a grin on his face. His genius-level intellect had allowed him to piece the situation together. Lorenor's mind worked as he pondered the severity of the situation. Can I do it? Can I kill this man who is a Grand Master of The Order? Lorenor doubted himself for a moment. Then, images of Ailnea, and the acts that Akim would perform on her should he win the hour filled Lorenor's head.

Filling him with a rage he had not experienced in a long time, the mutant began to shake with anger. His face became a terrifying expression of ferocity and hatred. The mutant, though a Spider Magi, was still a member of the undead races. Lorenor would fight with every last amount of necromanctic energy he could muster. The mutant walked over towards Akim as he drew his prevalida sword. He then thought back to the moment he first assaulted Akim, and how The Grand Master had manipulated Lorenor into killing a young neophyte monk. Knowing that he was probably expelled from the Order, the mutant would proceed without fear and without hesitation. With each passing moment, Akim will grow stronger. I must act quickly if I am to best him in conflict. I will use every trick I can muster. I touched him with the dark of N'Jal. He is vulnerable.

When Lorenor stood about two paces away from the confused monk, the mutant prepared himself to fight. Just then, Akim snapped to attention as if he had just realized something. This caused Lorenor to hesitate as he looked down on the kneeling form of the monk. Akim stood up, facing Lorenor now, and he stared with hate in his eyes. The mutant also saw something else there, something that delighted him. Pain. He is suffering with his new state. Good. Let you suffer. A thousand lifetimes in The Pyre is not enough punishment for you, Akim! Lorenor clenched his hands around his weapon, the prevalida longsword. He would use that, and his dagger to finish Akim off. The thoughts made the mutant grin. Akim moved into a combat position as he looked at Lorenor. Lorenor observed and knew the combat position really well, it was one of the many fighting styles of The Order.

"I will not forgive you for what you have done to me!" Akim said. "I will see to it that you forever banished from The Order." He added, expanding his threat.

Laughing, Lorenor simply stared at the enemy. "You do-not frighten me. I have seen true Horror." The mutant said. "I am forever bound to protect the one that you have ordered me to protect. I will now allow a soul to harm her!" Lorenor yelled. The heavens themselves seemed to shake at the mutant's powerful emotions. A dark-purple energy was flowing off the mutant's body, even as a green energy flowed from Akim. Lorenor did not notice it as several presences seemed to observe the unfolding battle. One of the presences, was a physical manifestation of the mass known as The N'Jal Protocol. Lorenor waited to see if the enemy would utter anymore useless words to prolong the inevitable. Lorenor now had a purpose, someone to protect, a place to call home. Home was within the ranks of the followers of N'Jal, who assisted The Horrors long ago.

The Horrors were an ally of N'Jal, thus, Lorenor was an ally to The Horrors.

The High Priest pointed his sword at Akim.

"You are an enemy of N'Jal. Thus, you are an enemy of ME. I will make certain that you fall on this hour!"

Lorenor moved into a tight combat stance, one not practiced by The Order. When The Observer touched his mind, the mutant learned a great many things. Including faults in his methodology of the killing arts. He is weakened, he cannot conjure The Glorious Light in this state. But he is still strong. I must be cautious... Then, The Firmanent around the mutant seemed to move ever so subtly. Images of the monks that Akim attacked in that one vision returned to his thoughts. Can it be?! Has he already adapted to the form of The Forsaken!? Lorenor cursed as he was suddenly levitated off the ground of time and space. Matter rotated about his person and compressed quickly to squeeze the mutant where he stood.

"You cannot defeat me, you are still a child, N'Jal whore!" Akim yelled. "I am going to destroy you where you stand!"

Lorenor felt it. A tremendous power flowed from Akim that was comprised of hate. Somehow, that thought made the mutant smile wider. That's the best he can do. I will show him. I will show him the power of The Living Dark! As Lorenor floated there, he felt himself being quickly crushed as Akim attempted to end the battle quickly. Lorenor did not struggle against the invisible hand. Instead, Lorenor welcomed the darkness. The pain brought him a great deal of pleasure and he began to laugh at that pleasure. Feeling his sadomasochistic nature awaken, the mutant's laughter began to grow more intense with each passing moment. Even as Akim crushed the mutant, his body regenerated itself. His regenerative power had grown tremendously.

Lorenor hung in the air as he constructed a strategy to escape Akim's grip.
    Then, Akim grew frustrated that he had not felled the mutant yet. Akim willed movement to control Lorenor's body, and the mutant was slammed around the field several times. Akim continued to do this repeatedly, but the mutant regenerated from the bruises and injuries that caused. The entire time that he was being tossed around like a rag-doll, Lorenor laughed. He never once stopped laughing. The pain was funny to him. In fact, he derived pleasure from it. Shivers traveled through his body as he was slammed around. Finally, he was slammed roughly against the floor and held there by an unseen weight. It felt like it weighed a ton.

Struggling to get up, Lorenor was trapped by the distortion around him.

Though his body could not move, his mind still worked and he still had access to the considerable power at his disposal. Still laughing, Lorenor managed to partially lift himself off the ground. It took considerable strength to manage that one however. The weight against his body was a tremendous one. When a few moments had passed, Lorenor stopped laughing just as he felt a new weight hold him in place. Akim walked over towards the mutant and placed his boot upon his back. Lorenor fell against the ground once more. At that point, he was laughing hysterically. He could feel frustration flowing from Akim's body.

"I am going to kill you!" Akim yelled. "You will pay for what you've done to me, I will be certain of it Lorenor!"

Lorenor could hear Akim's wild howlings. Knowing that his enemy was suffering was enough for the mutant. Suddenly, the space around the mutant became like normal space. Lorenor had dropped his prevalida sword in the process of being slammed around the fighting arena. Instead, he drew another weapon. ~Flamethirst~. His movements were careful, as Akim's boot still held him down. Lorenor could feel Akim's eyes on his person even as the mutant drew the seldom-used weapon. It was all part of a greater plan. I couldn't hurt you as you were before. I had to work around the rules of The Order to change the situation. In your current state, there are new rules to observe. And you are vulnerable my friend.

Feeling his enemy move in close, Lorenor stopped laughing.

"What's the matter Lorenor, no more laughter? Don't you find pain pleasurable!?" Akim yelled, taunting the mutant.

"He who mocks, oft finds himself at the mercy of a dragon's retaliation." Lorenor suddenly quoted one of the many proverbs of The Order. "How the mighty shall fall."

"You are pathetic Lorenor! I am going to kill you now." Akim said in arrogance.

Lorenor found himself being lifted off the ground by physical hands this time. The Grand Master wrapped his hand around the throat of the mutant and lifted him all the way up to his full height. Lorenor was lifted a foot off the ground by the powerful hand. Despite that movement, the mutant managed to hang on to the hilt of his weapon. Already, he was conjuring the power of the weapon despite the fact that Akim choked his throat. Lorenor wore the grin on his face. The pain was incredible, and he was having a hard time breathing. There is love in those attacks. Lorenor smiled for he knew that he had met an opponent that could be his match. As Akim attempted to squeeze the life out of the mutant, he felt his endurance kick in and his powerful neck muscles tighten against the man's grip.

Gasping for air, the mutant understood that the end was close. However, he still held onto his weapon. Muscles were tightening even as he attempted to raise his sword and point it at Akim. Akim stared at Lorenor with a mixed expression of shock and disbelief.

"You're going to try to use that sword on me in this state? Don't make me laugh, Lorenor. I am a Grand-Master! You cannot harm me with a weapon made of Damascus!"

But Lorenor knew the secret of Flamethirst. It was a weapon he had purchased long ago, and it contained power. Under normal circumstances, Lorenor would never have tried to defeat Akim in such a way. These were not normal circumstances. Instead, the mutant had devised a plan that would shake the pillars of the stars themselves. His death will be a most impressive one. I shall see to it that he will never harm Ailnea. A moment later, Akim threw Lorenor several feet away. Lorenor hit the ground, hard. Now, he gasped for air as he held on to his weapon. Still conjuring the power of the weapon, the mutant had to wait until Akim was well within range for the secrets of the sword to strike. Crawling across the floor now, the mutant managed to raise his weapon with one hand and point it at Akim's body.

Akim wore a furious expression on his face. That fact alone made the mutant grin with sublimity. He had prepared the power of the weapon, and then he only needed to speak the command line for it to work. Akim covered the distance between the two of them. Lorenor could taste the creature's sweat against inside his mouth.

"Time to die, monster!" Akim yelled. "I hope you have told your final words of prayer to N'Jal. For the only thing that awaits you is The Pyre! Do you have any last words!?" Akim added.

Lorenor could see the power that Akim was preparing. By then, Lorenor was in a heightened state of euphoria.

"Just one. Engulf!" Lorenor called out to the power of the sword.

And at that precise moment in time, the master manipulator realized the full potential of his power. The Godhand Strykers, Letho Ravenhearts, and Luc Krauses of the world could never have achieved the level of cleverness that Lorenor had achieved. Those heroes lacked something that Lorenor oozed: finesse. Lorenor had masterfully executed a plan that would forever alter the course of history. Without Grand Master Akim, there would be nothing to stand in the way of Ailnea and The Horrors. Akim represented the final stepping to prevent Ailnea from awakening to her true power. Lorenor now knew that to be true. In his perception of The Firmanent, the mutant could see Flamethirst for the weapon it was. A glorious, incendiary blade of pure wizard's fire.

Glowing with power from within, the damascus blade conjured energy from the command line secretly etched on its surface. Runes glowed with power and manifested one by one as energy passed through the weapon. Lorenor pointed the tip of the sword right at Akim's chest. Seeing his eyes go wide with terror, Lorenor's laughter returned. A brilliant burst of elemental fire flowed forward from the blade. Two blasts were launched from the blade with a certain level of recoil that affected the mutant. He felt some knock-back from the two orbs of elemental energy, but it did not make a difference to the plan. Check-mate. Lorenor thought to himself.

"Fall Akim. FALL!!!"

The first orb of fire flowed from the tip of the blade and traveled across space. A few moments later, the second orb manifested. Both orbs traveled quickly towards Akim in his weakened state. The plan, coming to full fruition, was now revealed. Realizing what had just happened, Akim attempted to move with all the speed he could muster. Though impressive, Lorenor had just launched wizard's fire at Akim, and nothing could save him from the fate that awaited. Licking through the air like starving beasts, the two great orbs flowed towards Akim's body...

Sometime later.

Observer transported a victorious Lorenor to another realm. As a reward for defeating their enemy, Akim, Lorenor was allowed to learn of a crucial matter. Information was passed from The Observer to the mutant and the mutant understood now that Observer watched all points of history, at any one time. Understanding that crucial fact, Lorenor arrived at a large chamber. The rules of this reality were different from the standard rules of The Firmanent. Lorenor's powers were considerably weakened, but there was no fear. He found himself in a large gathering hall. Before him, was two entities. One, he recognized as the physical manifestation of N'Jal. The other, he did not recognize. They stood atop of a small set of stairs that lead to an elevated platform.

N'Jal beckoned for her servant to come. With a start, he realized that all of the eyes within the audience were upon him. Lorenor suddenly gathered that the people he was staring at were actually different versions of him! Somehow, the idea of many versions of him was frightening. He hesitated for a moment, but soon continued to walk towards his Master. Lorenor had emerged victorious from the battle with Grand Master Akim. In so doing, he had prevented a horrible fate from occurring. A fate that would result in the death of the nun, Ailnea. The mutant had done everything in his power to prevent that from occurring. Lorenor finally crossed the distance between himself and N'Jal, and knelt before her.

"My Servant." N'Jal said. "You have earned the right to know the truth about your existence. It is a truth that was denied to you from the very beginning. A truth that you had to fight for to earn. You have learned much about the universe of Althanas. You have started to transcend the boundaries and limitations you were given. I could not yet tell this until now, but listen to me my Servant. For not only am I your Master, but I am also the being that has conceived you. I am also your Mother! The Mother of all Spider Magi!" She yelled in a booming voice. N'Jal continued to speak. "You have earned a valuable right. You have earned the right to Ascend and become as an equal to your Mother. No longer merely a slave-child, but a Master of your own destiny. A Herald of N'Jal." N'Jal said.

"Kneel before me Lorenor." She continued. "And rise, Master Lorenor. Ascended, and Demi-Thayne of the pantheon!" The gathered throng clapped loudly at that announcement. "Today you shall become something better than what you have been, and you shall master your destiny. Now then, accept the gift that I shall give you, and fulfill your destiny!"

Lorenor nodded towards N'Jal and turned to face the gathered Lorenors in front of him. Literally thousands. Millions. And all of them began to walk towards the mutant. Slowly at first, but soon, they were all running towards the mutant. And as each one touched him, the essence of the alternate self became a new piece of the mutant. Each time he combined with one of the gathered entities, the mutant found himself becoming whole again. Soon, the crowd before him was dwindling down until there were only two alternate Lorenors left. The final two. One was a handsome man who wore the armour of a Paladin, and gave off The Glorious Light. Yet, in his new form, The Ascended did not recoil from it. The other, was a dark creature that was a living embodiment of The Living Darkness. It was a shadowy manifestation that representing a sentient elemental.

The two remaining Lorenors looked at the rapidly evolving form of The Ascended.

There were three Lorenors all together. Lorenor did not know how to react to the two that remained. He simply observed and waited to see what would happen next, his body flowing with elemental energies.

Speaking first, the shadow addressed The Ascended.

"I am a you from a far off point in history that has not yet occurred." The Shadow began. "Days of Althanas not yet passed. That is where I herald from." The Shadow continued. "I wanted to give you something. A special gift. The gift of knowledge of what is to come."

Then, The Paladin spoke.

"I am you from a far off point in history that has occurred. I am your self that has been forgotten. The origins of you before your current state was born, one of many possibilities now become Ascended. I have a gift to give you as well. The gift of power. A power you once wielded. Take this gift and embrace it you that will be."

When The Paladin touched The Ascended, there was a brilliant flash of light. And once again, The Light did not harm The Ascended. Lorenor combined with The Paladin, and he soon found himself holding his sword, The Flamethirst, in his hands. This weapon however, had upgraded itself to an evolved form and combined with an organism long since forgotten. The Endless named Figment, which always followed Lorenor everywhere it went. And so, Flamethirst unlocked true power, evolving to a weapon made of purest Prevalida. The enchantment that lurked within Flamethirst also evolved becoming one with The Endless. No longer merely a magical wizard's fire, the flame became embers of new form of energy. Soul Fire. Lorenor held the magnificent weapon in his hand and knowledge of his past, all of his pasts, came rushing through his skull which was now whole once more.

The Ascended turned towards The Shadow. That was the final version of Lorenor that was left. It had all come down to this brilliant moment across time and space. The Shadow nodded and spoke to Lorenor once more.

"The hour has come. Find and fulfill your destiny."

The Shadow spoke to Lorenor. He embraced The Ascended, and the two final forms became as one entity. A brilliant burst of energy radiated from the union. Shadow cascaded around the body of The Ascended, as a brilliant and radiating cloak of darkness manifested. This cloak brilliantly wrapped itself around The Ascended, forming an anti-halo around the new creation. Free from the restraints of the past, Lorenor turned to look at N'Jal and the male figure. N'Jal motioned for Lorenor to approach her.

He did so.

"You will have a new mission. A new decree from your Master." N'Jal said calmly. "You must protect Ailnea from danger, always. Furthermore, you must continue to spread my influence on Althanas. That is your mission. You are no longer my servant, but are now, as an equal. You are now a Thayne. Act as such and you will earn accolades. Remember these words well, Lorenor. For I am your Mother. And he, he is your Father. Always remember that I am with you."

Lorenor suddenly awoke with a start. For some reason, the feeling that something important was missing invaded his heart. Shaking the strange feeling off, Lorenor had a sudden urge to go see The High Priestess, Ailnea. The village that had started the entire journey was now the place that Lorenor would call home. He slid out of bed, gathered his items, including the sword, The Blood Sword, he was awarded, and he walked to visit his newly found family. Kythor and the rest awaited him for daily sermons of N'Jal. He had The Necronomicon gathered with him, and he prepared to go make certain that Ailnea was safe. Dragonian children who were followers of N'Jal walked towards The Ascended named Lorenor. He gave off a powerful aura now, changed, evolved. His friend, Kythor, walked over towards Lorenor.

"Master Lorenor. You are awake. Ailnea is in the church waiting for you. A feast will be prepared when the sermons are over. We await the word of N'Jal."

Taking a breath of the clean air, The Ascended smiled at his friend.

"Maybe it was all a dream Kythor." Lorenor suddenly said to nobody in particular.

"What was a dream Lorenor?"

"Nevermind."

The Ascended said. And he walked towards the cathedral of N'Jal. In the time since the events of the temple, the township had grown dramatically with the blessing of N'Jal. Lorenor, and Ailnea had lived there with Kythor and his family. Lorenor walked towards the cathedral and looked at the various statues of N'Jal that were positioned around the township. He entered the church, and prepared for a long day of sermons. After all, what they had just been through, The Ascended had earned himself a vacation from adventure for quite sometime. He was content to studying the word of N'Jal for the rest of his days in peace and quiet out in the swamplands of Dheathain. There would be no members of The Knights of Dawn, and nobody to stop him from spreading the word of N'Jal. All in all, it was a good day...

And The Ascended could feel N'Jal watching him always.

The End.

~Spoils~

001-The Ascended-A rare event has allowed Lorenor to evolve to a new height of evolution. No longer merely an ordinary Spider Magi, Demi-Thayne, Lorenor has become something else entirely. Unlocking a final form of evolution, Lorenor has entered a union with -all- alternate versions of himself. Thanks to this union, Lorenor has discovered a great deal about himself. He has learned about himself and his fractured mind has become whole once more. With the union of Lorenor from the past and Lorenor from the future, all mysteries were revealed to him. Lorenor now knows where he is meant to be, and what he was in the past. With the past and the future uncovered, Lorenor has become Ascended. Now, Lorenor has become an equal entity to N'Jal, and no longer a mere follower.

After the events of took place here, Lorenor discovered his nature as a Demi-Thayne. Now, he has become an Ascended and is a Full Thayne. However, he is not an Elder Thayne, instead, he is a Lesser Thayne and serves as the "herald" to N'Jal. This metamorphosis is purely aesthetic and offers no current new Abilities or Skills. However, due to Lorenor's evolution one of his weaknesses has been left behind. Lorenor's weakness to Elemental Fire no longer applies. Now, Fire does normal damage.

002-The Blood Sword (Evolved Flamethirst/Figment)-After a union with all of his alternate selves, Lorenor has unlocked a new source of power. With the evolution of The Endless called Figment, Lorenor's weapon known as Flamethirst was combined with Figment. With a special arcane process, Figment evolved the metallic properties of Flamethirst from Damascus to purest Prevalida. The sword can now (On top of the innate Fire Ability) launch a volley of Soul Fyre, twice a day. Soul Fyre damages the soul of a target. Soul Fyre does heavy-lethal Soul Damage to the target. The Blood Sword is a masterwork sword. ~Flamethirst~ (Originally obtained in Flamethirst link)

003-Elemental Cloak of Darkness-After a union with all of his alternate selves, Lorenor has unlocked a new source of power. With the union of his Future Self, Lorenor has become an Elemental of Darkness. Now, his aura is of pure Darkness. This Darkness, covers Lorenor like a cloak. It is purely an aesthetic Ability. Eventually, The Cloak of Darkness will unlock more properties. Note: Darkness Elementals have an inherited weakness to The Glorious Light. Light does heavy-lethal damage and can sometimes outright kill Lorenor in one hit.
    Last edited by Mutant_Lorenor; 07-20-10 at 10:17 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast