Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Of Shadows And Dust (Task Vs. Cydnar)

EXP: 28,434, Level: 7
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next level: 6,566
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,566
    GP

Name
    Cydnar Yrene
    Race
    Hummel
    Hair Color
    Grey
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Build
    6'2"/159lbs
    Job
    Politician

Of Shadows And Dust (Task Vs. Cydnar)

The dust settled on the low mountain road, the last remnants of a passing traveller. In the darkness loomed heavy breaths, peeling away dryness in the air with long plumes of mist, congealing life-force in the cold bitterness of the Raiaeran countryside. Here they will come; through this wide plain they shall traverse the distance to their target. Cydnar smiled weakly, clutching the heavy woollen cloak around his shoulders tighter still. He looked to his flanks and examined the terrain. To his right there was a dense tree line, oak and mahogany trunks topped with deep olive foliage and ancient groves capped with firefly branches. His left yielded an open and somewhat dry marsh land that stretched three times as wide as the field to his right. The wide road was higher than either side, built up to be free of the sodden land by farmers and merchants long ago.

Why such devilish and threatening armies chose this place, one perfect for an ambush by all accounts was beyond Cydnar. It was beyond his superiors and beyond all common sense. Glancing over his shoulder he peered through the evening air to catch sight of his companion. “I fear we will need to call on water kindred brothers, so that they may shape out places for our kin to hide in the marshland.”

The shadow grew closer, nodding with every step in agreement. He was a tall and slender elf, taller and more wraith like than Cydnar, yet he held a curious impression of strength. He wore no cloak, but his robes were the same half purple, half black vestments worn by a fellow Serpent Brother. “An astute observation, one we shall report. I fear a pincer attack will not work, so we shall aim to attempt a tri-partite attack from several fronts.”

“That is grand, Brother Laminas, grand indeed. I cannot help but question the Minister’s visions. This does not look like a place to call daemons and wreak havoc on the fabric of the world. Why here, why now?”

“It may be too late in the day for ontological considerations, Cydnar, they army has entered this valley to the extreme south; we have until dawn before they pass. Let us return to the camp in the trees and settle our deliberations with the others.” Laminas turned and walked almost silently across the grass to the forest, some arcane magic working beneath his boots to keep him free from the thin line drawn in the air, a trap.

“I-guess you are correct. Let us see what the Salthias Court has to say on our findings. Pray the carrion of the skies feast not on the worms of the underneath when the deed is done.” He thought to himself as they nipped across the field and left the cold night air swirling in their wake. The canopy of trees and dead pine needles instantly warmed their souls and limbs alike. Through the dark lattice, Cydnar could see a distant fireplace flickering in the shadows.

Twin guards dropped from the trees as they approached, daggers and blades drawn stoically and with lack of foresight, with prehensile speed. Seeing that it was their brothers, they slipped away like shadows moving in shadow into the crow’s nests above, returning to their vigil in flurry of owl calls and telepathic messages. Cydnar considered this a comfort. He hoped they would not be surprised or their attack foreseen. The Death Lords had allies far more mysterious and ever deadly than anything they had bonded with, anything they could call to kindred arms.

“Brother Yrene!” A young female voice snapped over the clearing and a woman with brown hair clad in plate mail twice her size waved at him. The light from the fire in front of her caused her armour to dance in shades of metals he could not name. Perhaps gold, iron, bronze, mithril? Mesmerised by her sight he smiled weakly, nodded, and walked on hurriedly to catch up with his captain.

“She is a wonder, is she not?”

Cydnar raised an eyebrow with puzzlement. He poised his hands behind his back and walked with a gentlemanly vigour he’d observed in Donnalaich. It was the walk of kings presumed, noblemen’s wonder, pious man’s amble. “Who?”

Laminas’s laugh boomed through the camp and caught glances from all manner of elves at work or in discussion. It was a jovial and boisterous noise, one fitting of the inn after a battle, not in the twilight hours before. “You can act coy all you like, but I know Manira has displayed affection for you, and you keep brushing her aside, too ashamed to take her hand and dance!” The warlock patted his friend on the back, nearly winding him with exuberance. “Tell me, why do you not approach her?”

“Because-” The title of Salthias is my life… “Because I have had other concerns.”

“Other concerns? Please, stay your tongue. I grow sick from your lies already brother, talk to her! In these dark times it is a worthy accessory, to have a reason to fight beyond the petty ramblings of templars and gods we neither see nor hear!” Shocked to silence, Cydnar remembered a time when he would have drawn his blade and stricken his friend down for such disorder, for such catastrophic heresy. But there was a point there, all the same…

“If it pleases you so to make me a fool before such a wonder, I will approach her when this battle is done, when we are free of our duties, and when I am prepared better in the mettle to tend to her…desires.”

The two swordsmen approached a small circular tent to the rear of the camp, where the twilight of the evening was darkest, and where the torches scattered in the trees and on poles in the damp earth glared brightest. The cloth was a dark green, emblazoned with the symbol of the leading house of the Hummel army, that of Calvary. Inside, Cydnar knew the four captains and Magister awaited their report.

“Well…let us see to our duties once more.” Wonderment and fear tingled and sparked like faerie lights in the air around Cydnar's head, he smiled weakly. Nerves and butterflies kicked up a hurricane in his chest, tickling his nerves into spiteful submission. Although born into public view, into the oratory domain, such an upbringing did not make such encounters any easier. He felt dread at having to stand before his brothers and the Magistracy, he felt intimidated and small, like an ant beneath a vengeful heel.

“Yes,” began Laminas, “let us indeed.” He pulled the fold of cloth to one side and waved Cydnar in. As it flowed back into place, in the distance, a keen eyed Hummel saw at the end of a panoptic lens a blanket of shadow and fire appear on the verges of the valley. It was so far away he could tell nothing of the size or content, but he called through the glacial night all the same.

Cydnar caught the sound of a thrush bird courting as he trailed into the warm, cinnamon scented and fur lined tent. Time was running out, they were fast approaching. The War Council convened.
    Last edited by Duffy; 11-04-09 at 06:12 PM.

Iwishlifehadcheatcodes
    EXP: 23,421, Level: 6
    Level completed: 49%, EXP required for next level: 3,579
    Level completed: 49%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,579
    GP

Name
    Einar Fenrisson
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown, buzz cut mohawk
    Eye Color
    hazel
    Build
    6'2" / 315
    Job
    Outcast Noble

View Profile
    Collin let the smoke from his cigarette slowly slip from his nose, the feeling a mix of calming nicotine addiction and a soothing irritation. He had taken up smoking on a whim, as a child, but was already heavily invested in the habit. Brittany, his ex-girlfriend had tried to make him stop on occasion, but to no avail. The more time he spent hacking into gaming servers, living his life in the virtual reality coffins that let him gain entry to those games, the more stress he needed to vent through artificial comfort. He tapped the end of the cig, letting the collected ash fall from the balcony and catch the wind. Collin watched the thin gray flakes be torn apart, ripped into smaller pieces without mercy from the prevailing winds that constantly whipped around the tower. His eyes fell from the ash to the world below, watched as the ant like people hurried in their daily tasks, watched them all as if viewing the world from the eyes of God.

TechFront Inc. owned the building he stood in, the server he worked on, nearly everything about his life and work. If Collin was the god that oversaw the game and its inner workings, the administration of TechFront was his god. They demanded new things of him, constantly, and in turn he was forced to jump higher when they gave the command. A new mission was on his computer screen, back in the office that was silent and still behind him. Collin turned to look through the sliding glass doors, staring at the screen and the message on it.

“Play as one of their creations? Challenge another person and work on their storyline? It’s as if they think that I’m just some random player to be thrown in wherever they need me. Fucking stupid.” Collin tapped the end of the cigarette and inhaled, getting nothing but the slight ember burn on the tip of his fingers. He looked at the butt of his cig and realized it was finished. He flicked the finished bud off the building and turned without watching it fall. “Guess I’ll get this shit over with… figure out what’s going on with this assignment at the very least.”

Like all messages before it, the one that waited for the gaming programmer was on a screen of pure blue. The words were ancient scrawl, as if written by hand with quill and ink. The picture was a bit dramatic, but it was the way of the enigmatic leaders of TechFront. They liked to get into the spirit of the World of Althanas, even when they were not in the game itself, and that spirit was spread throughout the building and to every employee. Collin touched the screen and changed the font. “They could at least send it as something tolerable to read. I may play in a medieval fantasy world for them, but I sure as hell can’t read languages from there. Even if they are very roughly close to actual English.”

~*~

Taskmienster,

Welcome to the first step towards really becoming an administrator of note and worth. Until this point, we have asked nothing of you other than to simply do what you will and take care of things in the background. Now, however, we have a mission for you to undertake that will assist in changing the face of Althanas. There has been a rift formed in the continent of Raiaera as we have designed, and as such we have a constant event to watch and keep going. From here on out, we are going to allow you to take the body of NPC’s that we have created in order to make everything smooth.

You will be assuming control of the enemies of the high elven people, leading an army against a player on the board. Your army is already prepared, and they are on the move. If you can win the military battle, your mages will be summoning a great daemon, at which point you will be easily able to remove yourself from the position of an NPC and return to what you would like to do. If you lose the battle, you will likewise be free of your obligation. We, the Althanas Administration does not care which course the battle takes, for the outcome is indeed what is going to change the server.

Good luck,
    The Althanas Administration.

~*~

Collin tapped the screen and closed the message. Instead of lighting another cigarette and procrastinating in his task, as he wanted to do so badly, he stood up and walked to the private virtual reality pod that rested along the wall of his small office. It opened as he slipped his fingers across the white, marble-like surface. Without stalling he laid down in the pod and plugged himself in, his eyes closing even as the glass surface closed over him. His world went white as the coding took over, and he was placed into the body of a devious minded, wicked warrior of Xem’Zund.

GP

Name
    Cydnar Yrene
    Race
    Hummel
    Hair Color
    Grey
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Build
    6'2"/159lbs
    Job
    Politician

In the confines of the council tent, I found myself surrounded by five others, Laminas included in such a number. A woman in blue, the one I supposidly harried over slipped in behind us, the light revealing the bronze and dancing gold of her armour to be ice blue, real plates of frozen water and a long fur cape. The Council was comprised of four captains including myself, Laminas, Therax and Manira, and the High Magister and General. Although not a wide selection of talents available, or an accurate representation of the military hierarchy of the Hummel, it had been assembled swiftly with great haste, and was better suited to direct conflict over strategically exploits or espionage wars.

“Welcome, Cydnar, Laminas, we will begin with haste as the bird song has come; we can only assume that our scouts have seen the advance wall of the enemy, and that they will be passing through this valley within hours, daybreak we presume, to use the rising mists from the marshes as cover through the open plains.” The Magister was an ancient woman of discernable birth but powerful and dogmatic charisma, she was the very epitome of matriarchal dominance, and her words gave the air rime-bound life. “With equal speed, each of you in turn will inform the others of your part to play in the battle plans, so that we can co-ordinate the cadres of warriors and mages we have at our disposal. Although limited, and although we expect great sacrifice, we must use what is available to complete the task at hand.” She turned expectantly to Laminas, who lead the Salthias cavalry.

“I- I shall lead a counter-charge once we draw them into the marshes. Should our plan fail or run amok, I will lead the flank charge along the road running south, to attempt to scatter the host or cause parts of it to fall into disarray," I smiled as my friend fell to nerves. His hefty bulk and stern visage told of a battle hardened warrior, but I knew him as the jovial bundle of love and laughter, of keen friendship and heart worthy conversation.

“At which point,” Manira continued, flicking the long ice blue hair from her face and elegantly arranging the icicles hanging from her cloak, “the mages shall emerge from the cover of the trees and rain projectiles and spells down onto the rear host. With the aim of drawing out this ‘council’ of magic-users, who will attempt to summon the daemon as prophesied by the Magistracy.” She bowed elegantly, the repetition of her mood, motion and demeanor marking her as one of the Witches, the leader and academic spiritual leaders of the Hummel.

“It is clear that the host is greater than us, by at least two-fold, and thus we must use many different skills and approaches to complete our task. Should we come to trouble, we must undertake a last chance rush for the summoners and rip away any chance of this ‘daemon’ coming to life. The consequences of the summoning, in the service of Yrene, far outweigh any part we will come to play in the petty war of the humans.” The Magister interjected and turned to Therax, “This responsibility is yours.”

“In the service of the World Eater, I shall perform the deed. My swordsmen are the most skilled and resilient in the kingdom below, we shall hide our assassins and quickest swordsmen beneath the marshes using the geomantic gifts given to us by Yrene. When the time and signal is right, we shall launch a third wave of attack, and withdraw via the same route.”

“Cydnar, do you understand your part to play?” Her tone did not compliment my already temperate mood, she seemed to imply that I was not ready or capable of performing the orders given to me to carry out. In truth, I believed her, never before had I been summoned to a council of war, least not been given the title of Captain, Salthias until this night had been nothing more than a birth right, a moniker to adopt in the bureaucratic remnants of our ancient society.

“I shall lead the main host, two hundred swordsman and warriors of the highest order and hold them in a phalanx formation on the road itself. We shall launch a surprise attack at the very spear tip of the advancing army, and hope to force them out sideways, either into the trees to be torn apart by arcade fire in the darkness, or into the marshes to drown and to be cut from below by unseen blades. We are the anvil on which the hammer of evil shall fall.”

“Excellent! Then we have the vestiges of a plan. I shall accompany General Vergil and stand with the mages who will provide ranged assistance. My magic is potent, but my swordsmanship is not, which is why Cydnar,” she smiled at me in the most excruciating manner, the all knowing eye sort. “You are here today over your brothers, for your sword.”

“Hanctä óuyen mén’ádylé,” she humbled me with her words, and I felt the warmth of the fire at the centre of the hazy tent mingle with inner gratification. The meaning I had been searching for, the quest for light and love beyond the snake seemed to grow ever closer. “I will do my best to serve House and Serpent.”

“Good! Now, prepare yourselves, arm your cadres, and enchant your spells and take positions. We shall be prepared for these foul creatures, and we shall stop them summoning their dark aid at all costs, for if Yrene must consume darkness in another part of our treasured world, then it shall be us, his offspring, who shall quench this oblivion from existence, and strike at the heart of the guilty, the jealous, and the ignorant!”

Each of us in turn placed our hands on the Magister’s, the warmth of the fire beneath them acting as seal to our communal pledge to battle. My nerves faded with the harmonious battle cry we all roared, rising our hands to the stars above and filing out of the tent one by one with stern looks of purpose on our faces. “Ëáthda oten heten réedygï!” Echoed throughout the whole forest, the camp came to life and the chorus vibrated through my very bones. War began to become me, and I it, a delicate balance between man and sword and purpose and desire.

Out into the cold and the dark we went, our swordsmen, our mages, our knights and horses. With vigorous cries and whispered secrets, the tri-partite host faded into the dark, and the mages practiced their arcane tricks in the woods, flames and lightning scorching bark and holly bush in practice. I stood at the fore of a cadre of 200 swordsmen, each dressed in the same garb and armed in a similar fashion. Various hematite blades and armour adorned each in turn, showing station or style or variation, hinting at the individuality of each of the Salthias, even when uniform in their display of heraldry and office.

In the far, far distance, my eyes perceived a faint glow, a pin prick of amber light on the far road. Torches…there must have been several hundred flames and beacons to guide the road to ruin. Each of them was a sin, a lifeless shell, an abomination. I knew at the centre of such a swathe of death, there would be a hero, a leader, some mage or necromancer that willed this mass onwards. I would meet him, we would fight, and we would do everything in our power to stop this devil rising from the dark…

No matter the cost…

Thank you m’lady.

Death to the greedy!
    Last edited by Duffy; 11-05-09 at 04:15 PM.

Iwishlifehadcheatcodes
    GP

Name
    Einar Fenrisson
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown, buzz cut mohawk
    Eye Color
    hazel
    Build
    6'2" / 315
    Job
    Outcast Noble

View Profile
    General mayhem would be expected in a host of undead, necromancers, practitioners of the dark arcane arts, and those that deigned to side with them. The eyes that Collin looked through were those of the leader, but he did not see what he expected. For a brief moment he had time to see the world, truly, before becoming one with the beast and losing himself to the pixilated animation. Ghouls, barely zombies due to the liquefied rotting flesh that clung to the exposed bones beneath, surrounded the forces under his immediate command in a large circle. They were at the least ten thick in width, dragging along in what armor could remain in place across the shells that had formerly been their bodies. Five powerful points rose above the slumped heads and hunched bodies of the ghouls, decrepit spires twice as tall as the rotten world they towered above. The under-lords that had been made by the necromancers; they were tall, powerful, armed and armored, and looked like the corpses of four men had been sewn together to create them.

Just inside the meat-shields were dark figures, with graceful strides and delicate swords sheathed on their backs. These were the revived bladesingers of victories long since won by Xem’Zund. They wrapped their bodies in the delicate fabrics of their heritage, though stained black and crusted with the dried blood of foes since following their new master. Bladesingers under the direct control, having been warped by the Forgotten one’s own hand, numbered in the three hundreds at the least. They were elite warriors, though only one tier away from the undead that surrounded them. Scattered through their ranks, keeping somewhat inside to avoid the ghouls, were the power-hungry deserters of Raiaera and her allies. The living, breathing, normal beings that had joined of their own free will and had remained physically unchanged. Armor amidst them was as diverse as the faces that it belonged to, from humans to high elves to former centaur sages of the Red Forest. Xem’Zund had found no reason to change them, but had let them remain within his ranks, scattered so that no element of turn-coat could be so easily created or realized.

Within the circle of undead, to the fore of their mighty leader, were those that were somewhere between, not living but never having sacrificed their lives. They were the twisted individuals that had never had their essence removed from their mortal prison, yet had been tried and found wanting by Xem’Zund’s powerful generals. They were the Virulent, the broken spirits that were as close to death without having ever had a sword turned against them. Instead of relying on the deadened senses, or the restoration granted by the Forgotten, they were souls who had transformed through the tap into powerful elementalists. By their greed they had found their way willingly to the undead lord, and he had used them and their natural powers to create an amalgamation of understood arcane and misunderstood tap. It was the taint that ran through them that made powerful sorcerers, and the power they harnessed that kept them close to their Death God. The leader amidst them was a slim woman who looked as if she was completely alive and thriving, excluding the vacant empty eye sockets were blue eyes had once resided. Thrina was a woman of power, of prestige before he employ with the Forgotten; under his guidance and his forced change she was greedy, underhanded, and enigmatic.

To the rear of the general were the necromancers that Xem’Zund was famed for. Their eyes were a sickly green-yellow coloration, their vestments comprised of the dried flesh of those they had flayed for their powers. The men and women of the necromantic following each carried with them a staff of red-liviol, a reward from the Lindequalme and their superior leader. A hood covered the faces of some, but others were exposed in face and arms. Disease had eaten away at their skin, showing black muscles oozing with pus that mirrored the color of their eyes. Some had bones that were exposed, though none seemed to be hindered in the least in their condition. A price always had to be paid for power.

At his immediate circle were the seven death lords that awaited their commands to begin the summoning. They wore blackened scale-mail, covering their chest and ending just below their waists. On their backs were a collection of weapons, mighty weapons enchanted and sparking with the active magic held within. A crown of mythril rested upon their heads, as if kings and queens of the realm they deigned to control; daemon summoners. The mission that Collin had received was to fight their way through whatever noble, just caused groups would attempt to stop them. The seven around him were to summon their beast, when the time was right, and unleash it into the Raiaeran world to put out the flames that rested within the hearts of the high elves and allies.

Collin knew the aspects, traits, battle-habits, and tactics of all he led in the body of the former Raiaeran lowly lieutenant because the transformed swordsman knew it. He let his conscious lapse, and felt himself slowly enter the mind and body of the general. Eventually, the mindset, traits, and habits of the hacker were completely fused with the former NPC, and the two became one.

“Ritgraz,” the name slipped from his tongue like a serpent hissing, and one of the seven death-lords looked up to him. The pale eyes of the follower met those of his leader, and the two locked even as they continued to march. “How long will it take for you and your ilk to summon the beast? I fear our motion is being tracked and watched. The damnable torches that we must light for the eyes of the rabble are hardly advantageous to our march.”

“Frirak, mighty warlord, it shall take time to form the ritual and summon the daemon. We will need to be protected at all costs, and have plenty of power remaining. If one of us follows, only Thrina can take their place, and that is if she has not spent any of her stored arcane energy in combat. Should that happen, a necromancer can be sacrificed to give her more power, but only for a very short period. You would need to constantly sacrifice more in order to sustain the energy she would need in place of one of us.” The death-lord shrugged and looked away from his leader. His frail hands replaced the displaced crown on his head. “You are being paranoid though, as always might warlord. None know of our approach, and even with the light of the torches guiding the un-touched individuals at your command our destination surely cannot be known. Daybreak will come soon, and when the sun does rise it will give life to the thick fogs of the marshlands, and provide ample cover for the ritual.”

Paranoid, on edge, constantly on the look-out for what weak forces of Raiaeran and allies would dare to appear… it was what had made the lowly high elf Frirak into the warlord of one of Xem’Zunds hordes. He placed a hand on his thin, blackened plate and then to his chin. Thought, consideration, tactics spun through his furious mind. Had the death-lord not been appointed to the procession, and a dire necessity to the mission before him, he would have let his blade tear through his thin neck. Instead the platform his raised throne was on shifted uneasily and spilled him to the damp ground. He caught himself on his hands, rolled, and rose with wrath in his eyes.

Nobody moved, save for the death-lord that walked directly before his mounted throne. She darted to the side as his sword was unsheathed and the howl of a banshee rose with its brandishing. The soul-blade sliced a careful line across the bare chest of the shackled high elf carrying his transportation. Frail, weak, and demoralized the slave cried out in pain and fell to the ground, clutching at the wound. A new essence slowly clawed its way out of the thin line, ethereal claws creating a gaping wound as it leapt into the blade.

“Elves, I thought they were supposed to die with dignity, perhaps spewing a stream of poetry or empowering song as their life slipped away.” Frirak stepped forward, onto the back of a groveling Raiaeran slave, and back to his throne. “Pathetic, it is no wonder we so easily break their lines, crush their hopes, and have our way with the country they thought they dominated. It is no wonder Xem’Zund chose this place to assault, such weak resistance to crush.”

The trampled body of the slave that had failed his simple task was left behind as the army of the Forgotten marched onwards, Frirak at their head, towards the valley. One side would be the marshes, the other the trees, and the plan had already been formulated to divert the army towards the soaked bog should anything arise. It would be the place of the summoning, and the most easily defensible location for an army of undead with the morning fog to guise their numbers.

GP

Name
    Cydnar Yrene
    Race
    Hummel
    Hair Color
    Grey
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Build
    6'2"/159lbs
    Job
    Politician

The Magister stood in the semi-silence of the trees. The ancient forest remained her of a childhood she’d longed to forget, from a time when the high elves and drow she’d come to respect as ancestors had been less war-like, and less hateful of one another. In all her years, she’d never raised her blade to another of her kind, be it Hummel, Drow, Asyrun or Asrai. Respectful of one another’s mutual brotherhood, of their unified heritage was paramount, even to one as withered and numbed as she.

As the army advanced along the beaten road, the dim lights that followed her as sentries and prophets began to more erratically and with a steadily increasing gait. The sounds of fireballs swooshing through the chilly air and lightning crackling satisfied her enough to drop her crown of command, but instead of troubles of military origins, she was pressed by others. Why, if the Prophets and the Magistracy deemed it to be so important a notion, had the Council not sent a greater army to deal with this advancing malice? There were so few of them, as skilled and powerful as they were in their tasks and service, to surely make an impact beyond bracing against a great flood gate?

She bowed her head and dwelt on the matter, calmly muttering of rophëcypë and ëstinydä. Echo stained sword clashes and owls flittered between the charcoal tree trunks, far removed from the encroaching storm, but thrice closer to reality then the world beyond the Retribution Dawning.

--

I felt the wind of the open air, the gait of life itself touch my brow and sedate my temperate rage. I had committed a social disgrace by being so aloof before a Magister, especially one such as Shay Aar, the High Witch of the cities beneath Donnalaich. I withdraw into the mortal shell of authority, padding haphazardly across the brief expanse of grass and periwinkles to the roadside, where a small horde of swordsmen and Salthias awaited. Amongst their number, two centuries, I could make out four taller Hummel, and roughly fifteen phalanx soldiers, heavily armoured but slow and slumberous; they would form the corner stone of our anvil. Even with a thousand raking claws, it would take a great deal to take them down, and a great deal more physical meanderings to end their lives.

Such responsibility began to dawn on me, that I, a lowly son of a lowly house could be the crux of destiny, be in control of so many others. Even divinity, even touching the firmament and walking with the Thayne could not ready me for such duty and honour. As I stepped up onto the mounded slope, and counted the larger stones in the perm-twilight permitted by keen-sight, I prepared a brief speech to recount when the luminescent eyes of our enemy were bearing down on us. My voice was meek, but plentiful enough to be heard only by the swords and shields nearby. “Róthersba foén héten Näcesé!”

--

The frost bound scepter of Manira trailed through the dark and lit a path of azure and navy blue light with a gentle tinkle and radiance. She prepared a deep heart spell, one bound to her very soul and conjured it’s preparations to the tip of symbol of office. All about her, the rest of the cadre of mages mimicked her, some with fire, some with light, others with the crushing blow of gravity or the conjured might of water, earth or air. Their communal bond and mutual assurance of destruction kept them silent, pondering, concentrating, and in the lack of discussion, of mental thought, the ice witch found herself in her element.

As time passed, and the future became the present, the mages settled on the verge of bracken and decaying trunks between the deep forest and the lighter scattering of trees from which they could be seen from the road. They waited, prepared and limber in the mind to do battle with more finesse arts than steel. Manira rested amongst them, eyeing the dark shadow she knew to be Cydnar, and the great expanse to the east, the darkness beyond she knew all too well to be Minas Tiradryn, the Obsidian Tower. She huddled into the long mohair cape she donned to keep her bones safe and her blood spiraling through her veins, and prayed for forgiveness and for the maw to deliver.

--

The baying of horses and tending of armour occupied Laminas and the cadre of cavalry, a task the lore master of the Salthias fighting style had long become accustomed to. It was a role he was born to undertake, and often people had referred to him as Sleipnir, horse-shod, child of the tack. He buckled the last strap on his steed and tested it with a game of tug of war. Satisfied, he turned to the gathered men and glanced briefly over their armour, weapons and faces.

They would be the Lïtzreigbé, the strike of lightning to carve out the heart of the enemy and cast them to disarray. At least, for all intent and purpose that was their objective. When Cydnar’s valiant last stand on the road seemed as if it were failing, or when the signal his most trusted friend always gave came and lit the skies, they would ride like the wind, like the stars falling to the earth. Laminas smiled, pulled on his gauntlet, and waved his arm through the air.

His mounting was mimicked by a hundred others, and his battle-cry, “Ídërï ïcelï hëten uryfë foén Rëneyú!” Become amplified into a great chorus of defiance. The thundering torrent of hooves carried them from the forest to the distant edges of the road, where the trees gave way to a rock face large enough for them to hide and to swing out to the flanks and hook back once they were called for. Laminas smiled as he rode, remembering his childhood and days in the streams. He remembered the days when he enjoyed the sun.

--

Time passed, and the sky turned grey with the growing dawn. For what seemed like time immemorial, Cydnar, Manira, Laminas and the Magister had waited, neither of them had heard from the fourth captain or the General, no doubt occupied in their dealings with their own detachments. The scouts, they must have truly been hidden and ready to pounce from the marshes, their long curved blades of crystalline ore like flashes of fire in the moonlight and the waters dank and decrepit. With a growing sense of pride I smiled as the army grew closer, looked up as the sun rose with a feint corona of the new day on the mountains to our right, beyond which kingdoms rested I would never see, in a sense, we were the gatekeepers to a war we had no part in. It felt senile, it felt deranged, but our purpose here was clear.

I brought my hand up to my shoulder and stroked my muscles gently, using the movement as a stabilizer for thought. “Prepare yourselves, they will be upon us within the hour, who knows what foul vanguard they will send, who knows what we will face.” I lifted my left leg back and turned to look over my shoulder. The swordsmen shuffled, the heavily armoured elves made their clunky movements to the front, three swordsmen to one knight, so that blades could dart between the girdles of movement and strike at their foes from behind a barricade. How long our defence could last, I did not know, but I trusted the plan wholeheartedly.

“We shall die and we shall bleed here today! But our purpose is clear, our goal paramount not only to the survival of our home, but of our way of life! Mankind and the surface dwellers have too long taken liberty after liberty with the arcane ways, with the very fabric and earth of Althanas!” I spat, and others did so too, our disgust no longer contained by military edifice and conduct.

“Éwen ännotca éstróydé hístú rmyath, tïën sïën ótnën uroén nténtíonïth róén ïghtrë! Utben éwen áncén rëventpó heten arcdú isingrú, ewen áncen rëventpó heten yíngdé foén heten ightlú ndaén hëten ryingcó fóen heten híldrencï foén úroën úturéfé! Éwën hallsé trícésí taën heten eärthú fóën vïléth, ndaën ëártí tïën romfë tíén'sen ottënrë orpsëcí. Ëathdí ótën hëtén arcdé ágicmó, ëáthdá ótén rëedgä, nién héten ämënë fóén Reneyä, fóén heten Órldwa Átereth, Aïlhá!”

We roared together, and waited.

--

Manira heard the war cry from Cydnar and smiled.

Laminas arrived at his destination, and in the marshes, the silent watchers felt at one.

The Magister looked up from her world born woe, shrugging away the weights on her shoulders with a childish laughter. She had questioned her honour so unendingly for naught. Satisfied that this was the right path, the vengeful path, the true path, she strode through the tree line and stepped up to Manira’s side.

“Are you ready to sacrifice yourself for the perpetrators of atrocities, knowing that our actions will save the world for the better of others?”

Manira looked up with a slight shock, and took a moment to consider the question, it’s philosophy. “To die fighting m’lady? But of course, and may the deaths of our brothers be as cold and painless as the thawing of the ice caps of Gunnbad, more beautiful and immortal as the autumnal foliage of this here forest, the Tiranost.”

They smiled at one another, and turned to watch the opening requiem of the Hummel’s changing ways; they watched and waited for the future to change forever.

Prophecy

Destiny

Brothers of the snake!

Blitzkrieg

Ride like the fury of Yrene!

We cannot destroy this army, it is not our intention or right! But we can prevent the dark rising, we can prevent the dying of the light and the crying of the children of our future! We shall strike at the heart of evil, and tear it from its rotten corpse. Death to the dark magic, death to greed, in the name of Yrene, of the World Eater, Hail!

Iwishlifehadcheatcodes
    GP

Name
    Einar Fenrisson
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown, buzz cut mohawk
    Eye Color
    hazel
    Build
    6'2" / 315
    Job
    Outcast Noble

View Profile
    Raiaera was a cesspool of diversity since the war had begun. Unlike the xenophobic neighboring country of Alerar, the high elves had always allowed outsiders into the region. The eyes of the world had turned to the civilized east, as the country was torn apart by the mighty hand of the necromancer. Since the inception of the war, more a surprise genocide than a true war, the country had filled with mercenaries from the globe. There was enough genocide to go around, and Xem’zund and his army had not flinched from the sudden uprising of outside influence. Raiaera was as diversified as Corone, but in more shambles than the former Haidian underworld. Frirak saw the sway of battles turn towards the high elven nation with the initial surge of foreigners, but not even the helping hand of the world around could do anything to stop the juggernaut.

The armored leader of the militant hand of Xem’zund continued to let his eyes dart over the road. The marshes would be quickly approaching; the safe point and escape for the troops should something appear. What would dare face the infallible forces of the Forgotten? When would they attempt their inglorious revolution? Were they present already, or on their way? Questions rung his brain like a wet rag, every drip an answer but not one alone could present itself valid. The war lord sat back in his throne and let a pale hand stroke his black goatee. Overly cautious in nature had gained him his position, the hundreds of lone kills he had amassed, and the very blade at his side. The hand moved to the hilt of his sword, stroking the weapon like he would a lover.

The soul-blade sung a dirge of darkness beckoned by the will of its master. The moaning of the souls captured within audible to him alone in their repugnant prison. It was a thing of beauty, only rivaled by the mind of the Master. The weapon was a trap for the spirits of those slain by the sword, an ever growing mantelpiece by which to hang the trophies of past victories. Prestige and power accompanied the blade, but so too did promise. More was to be had, more souls were to be added, and with each one collected the abilities of the general increased. He needed the leaders of the Raiaeran nations to be trapped within, the high bards and the generals of the broken bladesingers… then he would have the true blessings of Xem’zund and be more than a war leader. He would be a living, supernatural entity amongst the fleeting lives of Althanas.

“War lord, the marches are going to flank our path soon.” The rasping voice of the death-lord to his left made the tangible world come crashing back into place. His head was filled with the elation of his master, the darkness that he would command, and the place of power he would fill. Future paths all relied on the mission at hand. They diverged, split like the forked tongue of a snake, and only one was the way to wicked wisdom. “Should there be an assault, by a force already convened to meet our march, or one approaching to attempt to cut us off, it will likely be at the three points.”

Woods, marsh, and high ground, the three points where on the horizon and yet just out of reach. Frirak could see the edge of the forest, could almost taste the stagnant pools of the marshes, and could smell the fresh scent of magic infused forests. He wanted to destroy it all. The only scent he favored was the metallic tinge of blood, the only sight he enjoyed was the crimson fluid slowly slipping from the corpse of an enemy, and the only taste he wanted was that of new power. It would all come soon, the daemon would assure that.

“Douse the lights, dawn breaks soon.” The war lord responded, and the audible command was relayed throughout the company. Grumbling grunts without the ability to see in the waning darkness obeyed the orders and put out their torches, their sole comfort amidst a company of corrupt corpses. “From now on, death lords, we communicate with each other by the telepathy that has been granted to us by our might lord and master. When we speak, it is for the masses of untouched to hear… and they mean very little to Xem’zund or myself.”

The telepathic link between the warped warriors, the death lords, and the man who led them would give them a quick, decisive edge against any who needed to speak to command. Orders could be relayed and followed at the speed of a thought, the fastest of all things. The untouched, living creatures that filled the ranks and would be apt to flee would be listening for the booming voice of the Forgotten One’s chosen.

“Prepare your spells, your swords, and your souls, we march to the marshes. If there is an assault waiting, we will meet it with force, crush it, and complete the Masters commands.” Frirak’s thoughts were immediately sent throughout the host of undead and tainted touched. They nodded and grunted their approval, causing the living beings to turn their unprivileged heads side to side to find what was causing the reaction. They would be the martyred and sacrificed, for they meant nothing to Xem’zund. “Now, pick up the pace. We carry on this path and meet the future of this world.”

The column instantly doubled its movement, untiring and unthinking. Those without the ability to hear the thoughts of Frirak were caught off guard, but stuttered in their movement for only a moment before following suit. “Two roads diverge in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both…” The war lord recited as the pathways to his future took different forks, and not just one but many as the motion of the men continued forward towards whatever high elves might be lingering to meet them.

GP

Name
    Cydnar Yrene
    Race
    Hummel
    Hair Color
    Grey
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Build
    6'2"/159lbs
    Job
    Politician

The Earth Cometh

The midnight long departed, Cydnar watched peerlessly the road and its fading echoes into nothingness. After a while, the lights that formed a wide beacon of imminent danger vanished, as he had been informed they would. Vestigial hymns of battle tactics and satirical meanderings poured from his brain into the little pool of consciousness he kept aside to dwell in, to stagnate. The chill in the air had at least permeated the folds of his robes and lackluster leather hauberk, offering no more protection from the elements than it would against a well swung blow; whatever heat he’d conserved may well be replaced by the rush and thrill and boiling of blood during battle, but that fact and waiting did not comfort him in his solemnities.

About him, in the same flanking walls they’d positioned themselves in, his battle brothers lingered with him, the sound of armour plates scraping over one another like a dragon’s scales intermittently dispersed with coughs, shuffling feet or the sporadic exchange of sparring weaponry. In the days of his youth, in his education, a phrase oft repeated many times spoke of a ‘calm before the storm,’ a brewing calamity hiding in the most delicate flower. This, Cydnar now knew, was the feeling he’d dreamt of. Nothing he’d encountered in his duels in the Coliseum of Radasanth or in the undercrofts of Concordia during the Scourging of the Blight had come close to rivaling it; the anticipation was like lightning, simple, primal, electrifying

--

In the trees, scattered in small clusters like magical batteries the mages of House Halima waited patiently. Their preparations and duels had long since ceased, the sound of fire and ice sundering branch and stone was spent in the far flung echoes of the world. Manira stroked the hem of her robes with equal stone faced silence, keeping the tingling edges of manna she would wreak havoc with in her fingertips, its energy waiting to pounce like a mountain lynx. Time compressed into a weak field of vision and a faintness in the head, echoes of heartbeats and long slow breaths filled the clearing and an atmosphere grew inside the magically charged environment. This, she murmured, will be catastrophic.

--

The thundering cavalcade of hooves tore across the open field and arced about the great natural cliff face that divided the road to the North from the edges of the Tiranost. The journey was not a great distance, neither was the flight of the crow above their heads, but the ground was muddy and the cladding of hooves did not make for a comfortable time for the knights, their heavy armour breaking reserves of stamina with juddering aggression.

Laminas pulled back on his reigns as they arrived at a suitable position behind the rock formation, and looked over his shoulder to see the lone scout on the edge of the trees behind them, a silent messenger ready with a simple illusionary spell to inform his adjacent colleague that it was time. He imagined a sudden chain of fire flickering through the deep forest, beacons guiding the children of Yrene to their ancestral home – the path of vengeance.

The captain waited, taking in calming clouds of frozen vapour and exhuming the night sky with long streaks of white steam.

--

“Arwen s*en áen rittlébá ndáen ëeblefú rëatúrecá.” Manira’s voice trailed into nothingness, the Magister at her side too deep in thought and silence to consider the implications of her philosophy. The spell she’d instilled on the edges of her mind began to tingle, began to burn its memory into reality. Soon, she knew all too well, she would have to unleash the Vessel of her Spirit, and reign supreme over the fool hardy mages within the ranks of the great horde that advanced upon them. By her hand, Cydnar and Laminas and the Magister had humbly agreed, any daemon that did appear through the Fade, the breach, the division between the worlds would dually fall.

“Sacrifice,” she returned to common, the simplicity of its syntax better suited and derived for statements requiring a blunt edge. As the light returned to the precipice of dusk, her robes began to glow with an eerie self satisfaction, as if the mages were all caught in a dew trap, light and dark, rebirth and death in a constant cycle in their souls. It would be this cycle that spurned them into action, she would hear the dwindling lives of Cydnar’s cadre on the road, as well as see it, and when that great swarm of warriors becomes nothing more than a pulsating, dying star, down on the dead would her manna fall, a lightning talon sweeping and sideswiping at an ancient and venerable foe.

--

It was unbearable, the waiting, the long silent captivity in which we all stood. I am not a child of the furtive complexes, but I would rather die upon my own sword than suffer this endless agony again. Something told me that I would not have a choice in the matter, war was finding the Hummel in this day and age, and we were being dragged into action by forces greater than the Thayne, greater than the very essence of existence. Fate made me ill, and Fate, I felt, would suffer for it.

I watched the dark turn into a pale wall of flickering will-o-wisps, and knew from the growing sickness in my stomach, the butterflies and hurricanes regressing and reprising themselves that the army had at last arrived. The faces of the dead stared, and my brothers returned the greeting. At once, the great barrier shields tightened, and the sound of a hundred swords turned soldiers into an anthem choir. “Hïst* sien orfën héten lórygï fóén Lthänásath!” Up, in response to my cry went the simple white flare, a beacon to the mages and to my heart’s desire awaiting its appearance.

I could smell the sudden rise in emotion in our ranks, snarling teeth and clashing blades rattled together to form a war cry of its own. I could see the width of the advancing horde, looked upwards at the great rattling towers and smell the ancient magic woven into the fabric of every bone, sinew and song that cried out from silent lips – they were not shouting in reply, nor where they exhuming any thought. I saw a distant man, different from the others but somewhere in his presence I felt a glimmer of hope. I could not wield magic as my brothers could, but I felt its presence, its draw, it’s magnitude in another. I brought up my sword, the star mother Freya, and about me the small anvil, on which so much was levied tightened. On either of our sides we could be passed, we hoped dearly to split and divide the army, spreading out with vengeful wings once we were succumbed in bodies, and then unleash the snake’s fangs.

I prayed, and we fell still until the stones fell.

--

As the army appeared, Manira stood and clapped. It was a movement that made no declarations of intent, it simply came to be and passed its verdict. The chains above their heads snapped, each and every one of the mages feeling the overarching spell appear and unleash a chain reaction of energy. They made no movement out into the clearing as they intended, instead they all stood and formed circles of four mages per pattern, standing inwards and both hands raised. Primal arcs of white energy crackles from fingertips and earthed themselves in the rocks.

Above Cydnar’s cadre, set just forward enough to fall into the road like comets and stars asunder rested thirteen great chunks of granite, slate and basalt, carved with the ancient art of geomancy from the very same cliffs that Laminas would launch his counter charge. They spun silently, held in place with mental thought and grand edict. It did not take long for the magic that commanded the earth beneath their feet to spiral upwards.

As the army of the dark necromancer made to close in on the battle lines of its enemy, the first blow fell in a shower of earthbound death. Each rock was vast enough to dig into the earth, chunks of which would shatter and fly up and out. With each descent, a circle in the woods ruptured time itself, and a chorus of deep, rib shattering sonic booms rippled across the marshes and over the mountains on the non-chalant horizon.

Cydnar covered his eyes, and the knights and duelists shielded themselves behind the great steel wall of the Defenders. He spoke in a low voice, loud enough for his brothers to hear and whisper the same edict to their compatriots, but not loud enough for their foe to hear. “Ndáén ósen hétén óccsrá órmëdfá héten *rstfë órdérl*nebï, rómfë uchsé úinátionrä sáén hëtën órmátïonfé fóén orldswú l*thërëds* Réney*, ungryhé ndaën ágéreth ótën evourdá heten árcassca fóen ámnat*óndá...” Soon, after the disarray of the meteoric assault had died, they would find themselves beset with an outnumbering enemy – the reality of their momentary triumph would wash expediently away, and their swords would sing their own songs.

War is a brittle and feeble creature.

This is for the glory of Althanas!

And so the rocks formed the first borderline, from such ruination as the formation of worlds slithered Yrene, hungry and eager to devour the carcass of damnation…

Iwishlifehadcheatcodes
    GP

Name
    Einar Fenrisson
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown, buzz cut mohawk
    Eye Color
    hazel
    Build
    6'2" / 315
    Job
    Outcast Noble

View Profile
    The war lord tapped his coach and climbed down from the still throne, preferring to be on foot should anything appear. Movement in style was paramount to the look, feel, and authority that Frirak commanded, and he showed it with pride. All those watching him approach, should there be any, would see him as a confident, powerful leader without fear of their reproach against his rank or his Masters will. From his throne he could see the tops of the balding heads of the death lords, peering through the golden crowns like sickly green moons. His vantage had allowed him to watch over the rest of the movement of his army, mentally stretching his thoughts to the touched like a god above men. It was when the possibility of battle, the possibility of gratuitous violence that brought him from his heavenly perch back to the world of the meek flock. The lambs would be put to the slaughter, their leader among them, but it was not the fear of being seen and attacked that brought him down. It was the unadulterated love of being on the front lines.

“Slow the march. We approach our point of no return.” The feet of the undead rabble slowed, followed behind by the unturned humanity that filled the ranks. It was a sickening imperfection that glared in the eyes of the war lord, but on a metaphorical level it was a show of what had happened with the rest of the world. A command was given by Xem’zund, and those not under his sway were forced to follow behind and react just a step behind. The wicked smile of the armored general painted his façade.

A cold chill spread through the ranks, as if the winds were pushing against them. They were downwind, but no smell came with the wind. It was magical in design, supernatural in its creation. The former high elf let his thin fingers stroke the side of his face, sagging skin yellowish in color, juxtaposed against the rest of his perfect features. Magic had scarred him, and the taste of the devious powers had their own place on his pristine palate. He tasted the bitter tang, his tongue clicking against the roof of his mouth as if trying to swallow and be rid of the lingering flavor of a rotten meat. Maggot ridden, mold smeared, half congealed rat meat would have been more enjoyable than what Frirak had on his tongue.

“Mages! Shields!” The call was sudden, a booming roar like a dragon’s throaty growl after being woken from a centuries slumber. A wave of terror visibly shook the core of the humans, elves, and other ilk that followed the necromancer. They could not have known what was coming, for their eyes were not blessedly removed from their sockets, the night was as much their enemy as was the warriors around them and those standing against their chosen side. Overhead the scream of the falling rocks echoed through the wide valley, war eagles calling their war cries as they fell from the sky.

The stars were falling as if the false gods of Althanas were aligned against the general’s cause. Whatever had conjured the magical assault, it was going to fall on relatively deft defenses. The Virulent turned their hands upwards, all but their female leader, and arcane arches formed. The magical defenses made the head of the general slowly regain composure; it was the dark touch of Xem’zunds will that spurred their magic. It was like a sweet wine on his palate despite its magical nature. The shower dropped heavily on the barriers assembled against them. Some of the boulders slipped to the sides, and dropped off on the edge of the troupe, a couple slipped through and crushed ghouls with drastically reduced momentum.

“Listen only to these words that you hear through your minds. Ignore the words I speak with my voice.” Frirak continued on foot with the conglomerate of darkness and let the plans that seeped through his mind take telepathic words to those under his command. “Twenty Virulent with the masses when they are directed, the rest to the marshes. Ghouls form a spearhead and crash into whatever resistance may be waiting. Bladesingers, as soon as combat is met, split around the ghouls and attack the flanks and from behind. Wait till I give the command and let the insufferable follow my spoken word before moving.”

The company continued at pace, but with directions that those that were not part of Xem’zunds dream would soon not be following. The ghouls were the brunt and backbone of the forces, but they were dispensable and hard to kill. Those crushed by the slowed assault were still twitching and moving beneath the boulder, trying to free themselves and join the main troop again. Frirak admired their dedication, whether it was mindless adoration to their forced leader or not. He only hoped that those that could not hear his thoughts would be as willing to become sacrificial lambs.

“To the trees!” Frirak screamed, his words rebounding off the company and reaching the ears of every figure within his proximity. Like a heavy wave against the sand bars off the coast the words continued, unhindered by the bodies near the war lord. “Assault the trees, everyone to protect our left flank! Route the enemies in the forest and advance to the hill!”

The humans, elves, and other creatures that followed the commands were all those that were of no loss to the Forgotten. A full three hundred figures began to dart towards the forests; a weapon readied and cries of passion passing their lips. Frirak watched as twenty Virulent stuttered for a moment before which ones would follow was decided on. The throne, nearly weightless without its master upon it, also followed just as he had hoped for. The rest of the company turned to the right flank, towards the marshes. The ghouls formed a spear head and began to sprint hungrily towards the cyprus quagmire that was the rest of the army’s destination. Whatever waited for them would soon find that the carnivorous, mindless masses were lovers of massacre.

GP

Name
    Cydnar Yrene
    Race
    Hummel
    Hair Color
    Grey
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Build
    6'2"/159lbs
    Job
    Politician

Manira’s eyes peered through the permafrost of the night, tantalized by the descending cavalcade of rock and embers she and her cadre had wrought from the very earth itself. As they fell, she watched her dreams and hopes descend in unison, time seemed to flow fleetingly from the atmosphere, and all seemed solace and sundry. Then the bright flash rose, and all their work was undone with a simple concentration of magic that was lost to the mightiest of the Hummel, a precipice of despair stole away the grass expanse and tree line sanctuary before the mage, and the night grew darker still. “They have shielded themselves from our attack, one can only assume they are anticipating some sort of resistance, but it cannot be that they know it is us.” The Magister’s voice calmly sedated Manira’s rising fear, her stone faced grimace and baritone statement peeled away the mage’s fear.

“How can you be so certain?”

“Because, child, no creature this far into this treacherous land knows of us; I have spent too long ensuring our secrecy outside of Donnalaich to be letdown by the simplest of slips. Prepare yourself, form a circular shape about you with the others – they come,” the wizened witch raised her hand to the swarm of dark shadows that scoured forwards towards the eternally outnumbered swordsman lead by Cydnar, and then trailed a glimmering path to a detachment of fiends that swarmed out like a branch in the gloom to whip at an uncertain creature.

--

Beneath the marshes of the long road, the unseen plentiful waited in convex spheres of conjured glass. Above, they knew all too well a battle raged with sentience and anger they could seldom contain, never mind control. Some of their number shuffled nervously, reaching out of their shells to pluck at passing fish or reeds with idle thumbs. It had been too long since they’d melded with the earth, sunk down from the surface and come to rest. Soon, they would mount what little last offensive they could maintain, and use their geomantic powers and swordsmanship to carve a last valiant blow to the horde of this ‘necromancer’ they’d heard little of, but already feared so much.

--

The creatures, although Manira and the mages could never have known their moniker, advanced with a ferocity and primal decadence that unnerved even the sternest of fade walkers. Even witnessing the brilliance and manic realm of magic beyond the borders of reality could not prepare one for witnessing the dead walking on the earth, here, and now. Shrill cries and vehement spitting rolled with their attackers, until they could be seen quite clearly, their eyes no longer forming the entirety of their being in the dark.

In the moments that preceded their arrival, Manira’s battle cry had rung out through the trunks of the ancient forest and rallied the mages into a circular shield around the stronger members of the cadre. On the outskirts, stood the more battle readied students, pyromancers and lance wielding battle mages who dwelt beneath the Salthias and the school of magic. In the second perimeter, there were the cascades, the geomancers who summoned and pelted, rent or threw their gifts with reckless and heavy abandon, and thirdly, in the centre, stood the Magister, Manira, and the five Principals; they were like captains, and were the few amongst them that could weave the arts of healing and battle prayers.

“Let them come, let them feel our pain, let them witness the devastation we shall unleash to defend this world!” The Magister’s hand rose and sparks crackled like spiritual portent. With a click of her fingers, the signal to attack was sounded, and a flurry of fireballs, ice shards and lightning surged out from the second ranks towards the three score strong assault. As flesh and brain alike were scorched, scoured and seared from bone, Manira looked to her senior with dread pulsating in her pupils; they did not have time, and although they could hold against such a menial foe, every second their magic was not prime and focused on those who attacked Cydnar, spelled another chime on the clock for his life.

She frowned, pulled her rod upwards, and screamed; “Come to me, the ice bound shield, sword and vamplate; let us strike with cold fang and colder heart!” The air itself froze at her command into physical resemblances of the requested gifts. Gone was the humble robed woman, replaced with an avatar of the ice itself, come was the Glacial Queen, the Argent Elemental of Winter’s Grasp. At her feet, a chill air moved, the grass began to freeze, and the aura of manna that surrounded the cadre grew brighter in the night, like a beacon of defiance to the dark forces that encroached on the will of the Hummel.

--

Cydnar brought up both blades in a movement that transcended speed, human reflexes would’ve barely recognised it, a movement mimicked by each of the Hummel swordsmen in the anvil that readied itself for war. As the company of dead turned to their right, to venture in a great column into the marshes he could not believe his luck.

The events that unfolded unnerved him, and the warriors about his command looked to him for orders; a choice unfolded that was morally dubious and beyond his experience to make. Should he defend the mages, and regroup stronger? Or should he plough into the column regardless, to stall their advance to where Prophecy would rear its ugly head…the Magister had instructed him to prevent the summoning, at any cost…

--

Beneath the marshes, as heavy foot falls and darker things turned the still waters into a vibrating storm, the hidden Hummel smiled to another through opaque shields. Slowly, but not too swiftly so as to alert others to their presence, they began to channel their geomantic energies into the waters around them to incur the wrath of the gods, of Althanas itself on the unholy passengers above.

--

“Óten hëten reestë, rotëctpë hëten agësmú, ïthwa pëedsë eyondbé Reneyó’sen!” Cydnar waved Freya to his left and began to run, in one swift and hornet riled mass the cadre, presuming itself to be wading through corpses and desperation, made instead for the tree line where the Circle of Magi rallied their counter attack with magical batteries and arcane guided swords. They were no warriors, Cydnar knew too well, and they would not hold long enough or in strong enough numbers to complete the task at hand should they have chosen to attack the main horde.

As he ran, he paused momentarily to glance over his shoulder. He caught sight of the great chair, and the creatures that swarmed it. Something spoke to him, in the back of his mind, a throne is a seat of power…but it is the being sat upon it that machinates this great evil… A sword strike flashed through the night, and Cydnar pushed the thought aside.

He ran on, swinging his blades and nimbly clearing clods of earth and rubble that had been flown far and wide in the impact with the unsanctified arches of energy. The cadre swarmed into the trees, aiming for the advancing creatures which made to their left for the mages. Cydnar smiled, tasted the chill wind on his lips and relishes the pine twang that formed as nature accompanied their dance with the devil.

--

Two bubbles popped on the surface of the marsh.

--

The Magister watched Manira’s transformation with casual interest, having seen the conjuration of an Arsayne countless times. In the days before time, before creation, Yrene planted seeds in his children to allow them the primal connection with nature. In some, this manifested far more strongly than simple geomantic ability – in some, they became their element, bound to the earth or sky and watery depths for an eternity. Manira, the Ice Queen, stood before them as testament not to the raw power of nature, but to the challenge of Yrene to the other Thayne – that he could stitch threads of fate together without interfering in direct affairs.

Whatever divine games the gods played, the Magister was grateful for witnessing a piece of the great chess board before her very eyes. The chill breeze had now grown into a whirlwind of icy shards and mirror masks, swirling about the slender body with enough force to crack skulls. The roar grew, and as the creatures advanced to within arms reached, the Magister caught side of Cydnar’s cadre, smiled, turned to meet their foe, and drew her short swords. “For Yrene!”

--

Cydnar spiraled forwards like a maelstrom of death, clichéd in every movement bar the execution of the finale; from each hand darted to orbs of deep purple quartz, both of which flew off into the trees to some far flung destination; every plan had to be adapted as it progressed, it was the true art of war, to adapt to the contours of the battlefield, that would allow them scrabble back in the wake of this unexpected turn of events. Blood splattered onto the nearby tree as a head flew wide, nothing more marked the passing of his blade through what appeared to once have been human head. He smiled, roared, and delved into madness.

To the trees, protect the mages, with speed beyond Yrene’s!

Iwishlifehadcheatcodes
    GP

Name
    Einar Fenrisson
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown, buzz cut mohawk
    Eye Color
    hazel
    Build
    6'2" / 315
    Job
    Outcast Noble

View Profile
    Twenty Virulent, three hundred unblessed, and a cacophony of sound and light. It was a blistering defense by what appeared to be as many mages aligned against the forces of Xem’zund as the depth of the forces charging forward. The blood curdling cry of pain and anger rebounded endlessly throughout the forest. Trees were suddenly turned to flame; lightning arched through the first few trees to strike the ranks. Shards of ice fell like arrows, and the congregated masses were torn down a few at a time. Magic was tossed into the sky like nets by the Virulent, attempting to turn the offensive magic of their foes back at them. Only a few spells in every thirty were returned, a few were tossed aside, but the majority of them were forcing the charge to slow. The mages knew they were given the chance to prove their worth, and offer their lives for the glorification of the necromancer.

“Keep going you worthless scum!” The voice of the mages was enough to keep the majority of the eyes from turning to them in question. They continued pushing through the sloped forest, their eyes seeking the opponent that hid behind the forests façade. Shields were brought to bear, but defensive magic was not the highest skill the mages possessed. Masters of the destructive art, Virulent took pleasure in the pain they caused their victims. They wanted to be the cat playing with the dying mouse, not the other way around. Distance and obstructions kept them from going on the offensive. Until the point when the opening would show itself they continued to protect the lump of warriors gathered around them.

Distance was being cut quickly, through the rain of spells. Like the darkness that descends with the coming night the figures grew closer and closer, slowly losing speed but gaining ground. To their flank the Virulent looked, staring down the charging enemy that had noticed them and started to protect their vital heart. Cruel smiles caught the wicked faces of the undead masters of magic. They were drawing away the force that would have stopped the main group. The warlords plan was working, to perfection.

“Bring down the trees, tear them from their roots and drop them on the advancing army.” The self-assumed leader of the Virulent, a transformed Raiaeran, screamed his commands. Some of the army around him immediately ran towards the trees. Axes, hammers, and swords were brought against the trunks as they blindly followed the commands of those that were appointed their leadership. “No you stupid fools! Continue up the slope, cut down those casters! Virulent, remove the obstructions and start your death march!”

Roots were torn free like weeds in a prized garden. The heavy trunks swayed, the branches furiously shook in revolt. Dumbfounded gazes from the muddled military might watched before following the path the fresh path created. A new road of fallen barriers made the grunting, blood craving warriors pick up their pace and dash as they had when the assault had begun.

Without the armed might of the foes, Frirak was left with nothing but the quagmire of his desires to take freely. He charged his troops into the area, the muck slowing them down as they were greeted with knee high grime. The warlord delighted in the muck, knowing that anything that was waiting for him from the high elves would meet the same problem that his own troops were going to have. However, the zombies were nearly unhindered by the swamps. They smelt worse than the stagnant pools, if only slightly.

“Keep pushing through the outside of the swamps, I want the entire army outside of the reach of those mage’s.” The great lord of war was part of the first group in, not wanting to be exposed. Surrounded by the skin-torn, diseased bladesingers he felt as if nothing could possibly go wrong with the plan, or the summoning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast