6'3" / 145lbs
    Job
    Scribe/Inkmage/Mailman

No Man's Land

Threshold II
    No Man's Land
    [FQ Quest: Bend the Iron]

Currently closed to Ruby La Roux.

Daylight comes slowly in Salvar, as if the night itself needs physically beaten down by the sun. The great dome of the sky was still satin-black, dusted with stars almost close enough to touch. The east was on fire, a riot of gold and orange and pink, broken here and there by clouds and the black silhouettes of the mountains. The air smelled of water and the sharp, clean scent of moist earth. The silence was broken only by the constant gurgle of the thawing river to the south, and the tentative chirping of the first of the season’s songbirds returning.

It was finally spring. The last vestiges of one of the worst winters in recent memory were beginning to fade from the land, but in one or two pockets - the towns and villages furthest North and closest to Berevar - the frigid weather had yet to be entirely banished.

Heivernok was in one of those pockets. A few stubborn flowers were striving to bloom through the sludgy grey snowdrifts, blotches of vibrant yellow and purple and red in the early-morning light. They weren’t enough to lift the spirits of the only living soul in Frostwyne paying attention this morning, but they did bring a small smile to his lips.

I had forgot how pretty Salvar can be.

Cael Strandssen sat on the steps that had formerly lead up to the village’s small chapel, his breath crystallizing in the air. He had returned to Salvar a month ago - sailing first from Fallien, then from Corone – and he still wasn’t used to the chill. Sure, he had grown up in the North, spent from birth through adulthood in the snow and ice and barely-there summers, but that didn’t mean he had to enjoy the frigid temperatures.

The chapel’s tiny courtyard was surrounded by what had once been a tidy picket fence. It wasn’t the most practical barrier; the constant winds and snows made walls of brick and stone more common. This fence could have been used as an example of why. The wood was warped, posts beginning to topple, the paint chipped and peeling, scorched black in places where the fire that had destroyed the chapel months ago had licked.

The town had been abandoned since the first week of winter. He had staged his section of the rebellion here; fled here, after that sect was all but destroyed; stayed here in more recent times, as well, helping to nurse the assassin who had pulled him from the grasp of the Church of the Ethereal Sway back to health.

He shoved his hands in the pockets of his heavy coat as he stared down at the silent gateway, shivering.

And memories or no, I never wanted to come back.

If anyone had told him he’d return to Salvar three months ago, he’d have told them flat out they were lying. His homeland’s government had demanded his arrest; his homeland’s church had actually achieved it. He still bore the deep scars from that experience. If he had his way, he would have left the nation to rot in the snow; left it to become nothing more than a skeleton that wouldn’t reappear until spring. It had happened before; he’d seen it in his childhood: hunters and travelers who went out on the wrong nights, never found while the snow fell.

Why shouldn’t it happen to the entire corrupt nation?

Life, however, is what happens when the one living makes different plans. He wasn’t a warrior. He wasn’t a wizard. In a happier time, he had been a simple scribe with an overactive conscience. But an unfortunate turn of events in the desperate days before his prison time had left him able to access something that the League of Salvic States could use: he could access the portals. Careless dealings in Fallien had led him to a strange woman known only as Areesha Gallowsgate. He’d found out, too late, that Areesha was a slaver, and a shrewd businesswoman. She had seized that knowledge, and all but sold him with it, all before he’d had a chance to blink.

So here he sat in the early morning, waiting for the rest of his team to finish their silent work.

It still seemed so wrong.

The League was clearly the best force to pedal his talents to. They had had no place in the events of the previous winter, the ones that still woke him late at night in a cold, sick sweat. They – or the few Barons he’d spoken to - seemed to have the best mind for the country. They seemed progressive, perhaps they would manage to drag Salvar out of the self-destructive pit the defunct monarchy and corrupt church had dug for her. But the task they had given him…

It’s just a waste.

He heard the fwoomph of accelerated flames light before he saw them; felt the heat on the side of his face before he turned. A high whoop of glee cut through the crackle of flames, shocking the birds into silence. The caterwauling grew as several other buildings seemed to explode simultaneously, old wood and thatch catching like kindling. In a matter of minutes, the ghost town was a nightmarish maze of light and heat and ash.

Cael just sat on the steps and watched it all through narrowed eyes. Sometimes, he reflected, progress hurts.

“Hey up, scribe,” came the call, in the first human voice he’d heard in at least three hours. He turned to look slowly, watching the dark figure step from the burning door of a nearby house. Smoke rose from the shoulders of the shape, transforming it into some flaming pagan demigod before the shape clarified into that of a human in a heavy black robe that trailed along the ground behind him. The robe’s hood was drawn up; the face masked with metal and glass in a way that emphasized each feature while stealing those very features away – perhaps the sacrifice that demigod demanded.

The hood fell, the mask pulled away, and the figure became, simply, a young man; dark-skinned, bright-eyed and beaming. Cael seemed to recall him introducing himself as Ježek.

“Pretty good show, yeah?” Cael shrugged, noncommittal, watching as the young man shook himself like a dog. Clumps of ash fell to the white steps like a heated snow. “We figured a way to make it all go up at nigh the same time, should save us a couple’a hours at least…” There was a groan of timber and a nearby roof folded, sending a shower of sparks into the heavens.

“Oh, good,” Cael finally replied, standing and shaking the wrinkles out of his coat. His bad leg panged at the movement after so long sitting still. He rubbed at it as the three other men, each clad the same as Ježek, appeared from their respective quadrants of the doomed village. “People to see, places to go, buildings to burn down, now we can burn down more faster! Maybe we’ll get medals for efficiency…”

Ježek looked hurt at the bitterness that had crept unwittingly into his tone. “Hey now. This was volunteer. You just do your part and get us home. Leave the cynicism to the Barons.”

This was volunteer for you, maybe, Cael thought a few minutes later, leading the way down the precarious rubble pile that was the only way down to the portal now that the chapel was gone. Not for me. I would have chosen something worlds apart from this sabotage.

The barons had called it scorched earth. The idea was an old one, and sound, but it still gnawed at the side of Cael’s mind like a rat with a hunk of cheese. These were good buildings. Surely they didn’t have to destroy everything that the church’s forces might possibly use.

However, every time he had opened his mouth to protest - back when his assignment with the Fire Shrikes had been made clear– Areesha had been ready. All she had to do was raise one furless eyebrow, are you sure you really want to say anything? written clearly in her gaze, and his mouth would snap shut again.

He tried to shake off the sudden discontent as he crunched through the debris that littered what had once been the church’s basement floor, listening to the Shrikes talking. The young men compared flame height and intensity with all the intelligence and fascination he had once shared with his friends over ancient books and political imbroglios. The times, he thought dryly, reaching out to press his hand against the portal, they are a-changing.

He counted to six. White flame licked out from his tingling palm right on cue, leaping from sigil to sigil until it filled the empty space within like a film dancing over the surface of a barrel of water. That light only existed for a moment before it changed, darkening to blue around the edges. Cael let out a startled yell, leaping backwards into the equipment-laden Shrikes. He’d seen that light only once before, in an escape attempt. He had ignored it, that time. The portal, in some malevolent response, set him down in a space currently occupied by inside another person. That other person hadn’t survived – there hadn’t even been a body to bury.

“Sainted Sway,” he cursed, fighting to regain his balance. Ježek grabbed his arm, hauled him back to his feet, but otherwise the Shrike’s gaze didn’t move. He was too busy staring at the portal. Cael, reluctantly, followed his eyes.

The portal’s flame was spiraling inward, a hurricane of white, blue and red that merged, glowing orange instead of purple. The whole effect looked like a bruise on the flesh of the universe, drowning out and sucking in all of the light from the burning village at the same time. He felt the Shrike’s gloved hand close on his arm tight enough to hurt.

The portal’s flicker seemed to still for a moment – and then the light shattered, shooting outwards in a coalescence of tangible energy before it tumbled to the earth, solidifying into…

A woman.

A young, pale and elegant woman clothed in crimson who was, nonetheless, screaming like a babe newborn to the world. Cael looked at the Shrikes – each of whom looked as if they’d never seen a woman, much less a frightened one – and cursed again. They were going to be completely unhelpful. He could tell.

He knelt down next to the woman, eyes scanning her frame for any visible injury as he held his hand out slowly. “Excuse me, madam,” he said in carefully pronounced Tradespeak, “but I do believe you’re lost.”
    Last edited by Inkfinger; 12-22-09 at 01:54 PM.
    If I could make it work in life like it works on paper,
    If the love that I describe could be anything but words,
    Then I would wipe my eyes, I'd dry this ink,
    I'd trade my pen in for a pair of wings and I would fly...
    If only I could make it work in life.

Subterranean Homesick Blues

Crimson Matriarch
    EXP: 30,051, Level: 7
    Level completed: 39%, EXP required for next level: 4,949
    Level completed: 39%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,949
    GP

Name
    Ruby Winchester
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11"/139lbs

View Profile
    Ruby La Roux was not accustomed to arriving in any social situation unannounced, it felt almost gentile if she appeared lacking fanfare, declaration or round of applause. It wasn’t the right thing to do, neither was it altogether to be expected, given the velocity and surprise in which she appeared. The last moments of her encounter with Lucian in the darkness of The Aria were still fresh in her mind like blisters burnt and charred and rubbed beneath a radiant sun, so much so the spiraling movements that carried her from that place had no impact on her sense of being or location; all she acknowledged was that she was moving, and quickly. Where, or why, she had no care, Duffy was lost.

She had succumbed to the shadows before she could see the true culmination of her Spell Song, and was left wondering if he had suffered the same fate, or if even he still lived. In the Aether, she cried unreal tears that were stripped from her tumble and dragged into nothingness, like a screaming child from it's mother in the busy Market Square Auctions on a summer afternoon.

The fires…now she remembered, the flames that sprung from her and gave life on the crescendo of song that had spurned her to motion had scorched Duffy’s clothes and…transformed him. They’d brought something into being she had no control over, it’s wings had lifted her, it’s cry had spurned the young thief into more virulent violence, and it’s heat had sealed the wounds shut as if they’d never been inflicted. In the back of her mind, she saw the phoenix spiral through a darkened sky, shedding its feathers in a sparkling cascade of fire.

The fire burnt brighter as she coalesced into being and was spewed from the crackling portal with gusto and pomp and a cavalcade of screaming. Over cold and inhospitable slabs of alien stone she rolled, until she came to a prone stop with stage timing you could win awards for; at the end of the roll, her head lifted itself up feebly, mimicking the upwards clawing of a shaking hand, before she fell silent and limp. Ears felt able to hear once more as her shrill voice fell equally prone.

Here in her prison, exiled by Lucian to a dark corner of existence, Ruby distantly recalled the definition of ‘banishment.’ Blackness, there was much of that, even if inflicted by the momentum and speed in which she’d been propelled from the arcane device behind her. Solitude, she was…alone…

Voices!

Unable to see or manage much motion, Ruby craned her metaphorical neck to catch wind of voices, mutterings and sharp commands and exchanges between individuals she could not recognise, in accent or tongue. She opened her eyes slowly; the light burnt, but left her senses intact. A flash of shadow to her right made her twitch, until she focused enough to see a man knelt over her, seemingly he held no immediate threat to the esteemed Mistress of the Tantalum, but a decade on the streets had taught her never to judge a book by its scumptio-…plain cover. Her thoughts mingled with the narrative of life, and she smiled in a way that said ‘pain’ without any great effort.

“Excuse me, madam,” he said in carefully pronounced Tradespeak, “but I do believe you’re lost.”
    “Why,” she made to hold out her hand, as if to suggest she required aid to stand, when she knew full well she did not. The lost and confused and grief stricken Ruby La Roux was altogether too swiftly possessed by the Mistress, the domineering matriarch of a rag tag orphanage and the midnight card shark and Broadway burlesque. “I do believe sir, that you are correct!” Her accent was not so straight cut or polite as the man’s, her Scara Brae twang thinly veiled behind a non-chalant attempt at being aristocratic.

“Would you help a lady out, and set her straight?” One set of worries, of Duffy and the Phoenix floated away gently, only to be replaced by a sudden sense of being utterly out of her depth, far away from home, and not in possession of any respectable underwear!
    Last edited by Ruby; 12-19-09 at 01:41 PM.

EXP: 14,275, Level: 5
    Level completed: 5%, EXP required for next level: 5,725
    Level completed: 5%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,725
    GP

Name
    Cael "Inkfinger" Strandssen
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Sun-Bleached Strawberry Blond
    Eye Color
    Light Blue
    Build
    6'3" / 145lbs
    Job
    Scribe/Inkmage/Mailman

She spoke like a performer, Cael noted, as he tugged her to her feet. Something about her voice reminded him of the showmen and women he had traveled with years ago, all confidence and amusement, as if hidden meanings lay beneath every innocuous word. Once she was standing he sketched a quick bow, brushing his lips across her fingers – the very figure of a gentleman.

“But of course,” he returned, releasing her hand with a wry smile. “One must always help fair maidens.” Ježek mumbled something that he couldn’t quite catch over the constant grumbling of the flames; and simply thinking about those flames drew them back to the forefront of his mind. “But, um.” He waved a long-fingered hand at the heavens above them. The first tongues of flame licking the dilapidated fence could be seen, just barely, over the edge of the former basement. “Here is not a good place t’ talk.” Situational awareness had returned, and his accent returned with it. “Unless y’ want t’be burned to a crisp, in which case…”

“Oy, we can’t take her back!” One of the other Shrikes complained through his mask’s respirator in Salvic. “We don’t know where she came from, who the hells she is...” He paused for a moment, firelight gleaming in his mask’s eyes. “…or what she is…” His friends all looked at Cael, nodding.

Cael crossed his arms, chin jutting defiantly. “She’s a woman,” He enunciated carefully, making sure to respond in Tradespeak so she’d at least know what was going on. “And it’s bloody cold here, I’m not leavin’ her.”

He ignored her startled glance as best he could as Ježek looked from his friends to Cael and back again.

“But, Cael…sir,” he added, begrudgingly, “She came from the portal, and. Uh. I don’t see…” He waved at Cael’s hand, and the dusky grey spiderweb that crept from the back of it up his arm. “She’s not got a talisman or portal burn, so she shouldn’t have been able to get here…” There was something fearful lurking behind the golden light in his eyes, and Cael sighed, switching back to Salvic for speed.

“What, you think she’s a succubus?” The silence, tinged with a strange mixture of guilt and fear, told him he’d hit the nail on the head. What the Church of the Ethereal Sway lacked in actual sound doctrine, it more than made up for in superstition and rampant paranoia. “You’ve got to be kidding. Look at her. She’s shivering.”

“She could be faking…”

Cael bit back a groan, drawing himself up to his full height. Ježek shrunk back, just a little. The other man was built like a bulldog – short and stocky. Cael knew which of them would win in a fight, but it helped matters to look intimidating from time to time. Scars and magic, no matter how rudimentary, helped.

“She’s comin’ back with us,” he lapsed back into tradespeak, feeling like the ball in a game of catch. “Or we’re staying here.” The flames popped above as one of the nearer houses’ roof collapsed, sending a shower of sparks yards into the air. “An’ doesn’t that just sound delightful?”

Ježek held his stare for long seconds, and Cael felt his muscles tense, readying himself for a fight. But in the end, the Shrike merely grimaced, pulling his unearthly helm back over his head. “S’ on your head,” the saboteur growled, his bad-tempered words echoing behind the respirator, “if the bosses don’t like it.”

“Oh, I know,” Cael returned. “Believe me, I know.”

The beams and ashes and snow-turned-slush-turned ice crunched beneath his boots as he rejoined the woman, rolling his eyes. “I apologize for that lot,” he muttered. “Think they still live in their mums’ basements, think all women are either little housewives or demons out to steal their…” He suddenly remembered just who he was talking to, and trailed off with a small, awkward smile. “Well. You know how it is.”

Crimson Matriarch
    GP

Name
    Ruby Winchester
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11"/139lbs

View Profile
    Ruby did indeed ‘know how it is,’ having been guilty of theft several times before, although he’d been considerably older than a baby, and attached to a woman she despised. She'd been glad to take vengeance upon her for a courtly sleight she’d forgotten as quickly as she’d become bored with her prize. Such was the way of the world, and such was how she’d have to act in such strange company.

She chattered through her tooth as she battled against the shrill cold that was in the air. The torch light and the spiralling energy of the portal had done little to abate the still air that cocooned them, something she would have a difficult time explaining, if she’d known then that they were in Salvar. Such a hot place in the day could become an icicle prang with glacial presence in the moon’s cascading shadow. It took a while, but she rubbed herself to comfort.

“I assure you, that I am most certainly a women, any of you suggest otherwise will discover the meaning of the adage ‘hell hath no fury,’ mark my fog stained words!” Her breathe froze in little plumes of anger as they drifted upwards towards the low roof. She listened to their discussion, rolling her eyes as she did so.

“I possess no mark or brand of travelling, because I was sent here by a power greater than any of you should know of, or have encountered. As such I cannot explain my arrival any more than you can, all I know, is that I am not where I should be, in Scara Brae, and instead I am here, wherever here happens to be.”

The bickering turned to matters of her potential danger, her masque of trickery. If anyone in a Scara Brae social occasion had dared insult her this many times in such a short space of time, they’d have been at the receiving end of a badly sung falsetto arrangement, and promptly lost their genitals.

“I repeat my assurance,” she piped, calm and now upright but still commanding a certain sense of urgency. Using words as her weapon, she was much more satisfied with her predicament. “Whilst I may be red and possess a certain modicum of fire in my temperament; I am no devil, nor angel, nor vengeful ‘succubus.’” As they continued to discuss the matter amongst themselves she took a second to examine the kinder of the motley company, giving him the once over with a discerning eye that had settled marriages and been the cause of many a divorce.

She let the question settle into their obviously straight talking naive minds and returned to her investigation. He seemed, different from the others; a different one might expect to find in a perfectly poised face in a crowd of slovenly theatre goers. Perhaps he was a prince, clad as pauper, on some errand of versatile love? Nay, Ruby corrected herself, he was too plain. Perhaps he was a spy, infiltrating the drab ranks of the enemy, crushing power with pensive resistance? Nay, she amended once more, [/i] far too dim looking.[/i]

Although in her dwindling occupancy as Tantalum Ruby had not learnt much outside of her field, the slow recollection of the events leading up to her arrival become irrelevant. What could she do to save Duffy, more so than she’d already done? The fire that had sprung from her heart would have to do so again another day, for now, she needed to conjure up clothing of a more loose fitting and ventilated nature – from the swooning heat and the heavy stone of the under croft they were currently in, she assumed she was in some sort of tomb, or perhaps a sandy museum hidden away.

Giving in to curiosity, she addressed Cael, but made sure to look over his shoulder with a questioning shrug at the others, whatever they happened to be. “You will forgive me for asking such silly little questions in the grand scheme of the world’s environ, but where is it that you are ‘taking me with,’ where am I, and indeed, a question of the utmost importance – how will we be traversing this realm?”

If she was going to be here for a long time, and it seemed from the guile of things that she was, then she’d better get to know just what it was she was dealing with. Whilst the others muttered their reply she leant casually over to Cael and winked, “I dare say, sir, that you are most approachable – what manner of mission brings you to the company of such a roguish band of miscreants as this?”
    Last edited by Ruby; 12-19-09 at 03:59 PM.

GP

Name
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Eye Color
    Light Blue
    Build
    6'3" / 145lbs
    Job
    Scribe/Inkmage/Mailman

There was an awkward silence behind him as five Shrikes – none of whom, so far as he’d been able to tell, had ever stepped foot out of Salvar – tried to parse the woman’s elaborate words. Cael hid his smile with another bow.

“You are in what used to be the village of Heivernok, in the Illamund fiefdom of Salvar, a mere hour’s walk from the border with Skavia.” His words unleashed a new murmur of conversation behind him, which he did his best to ignore. He was in charge here, not them. A gust of unnatural wind, kicked up by the flames growing ever higher, sent a golden flurry of sparks over their heads.

“We’re not headin’ north, though. We’re goin’ south by southwest, back to our superiors,” he kept the name of the rendezvous point up in the air. He was quite certain the woman was human, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t be sent by the church and able to break away, somehow, at the last moment. The church already knew about where the League was headquartered, but not the specifics.

“And we’ll be usin’ that thing what just spat you out,” he waved his one gloved hand at the portal, hulking and silent at the far end of the ruined chapel’s basement, “to get there.”

“Of course,” one of the Shrikes put in, hopeful and halting, his heavy accent made all the more alien through the tinny respirator, “if you want stay here, stay. We won’t not sto-”

“Enough.” Cael snapped over his shoulder. The speaker trailed off, muttering darkly to the rest of the fire raisers. He ignored their conference again, dealing, instead, with the pretty problem before him. She even went so far as to wink.

Can’t imagine too many men can back away from that face...

“Ah, I fear I’ll disappoint you there,” he answered her inquiry with a lazy grin of his own. “I’m twice as much miscreant as most of these lads, an’ treble as much as the short one on the end.” This was interesting, talking to someone who could keep up, for the first time in two weeks. He hooked one long arm around her slender shoulders, gently guiding her towards the waiting portal. “We are saboteurs, here burning an’ pillaging so the Church of the Ethereal Sway,” he ducked to the side to avoid stepping on a ruined portrait’s face, mostly out of habit and the last vestiges of respect for the painter, “can’t use this place to rebuild their forces.” He stopped by the portal, but stopped just short of awakening it again. The Shrikes stood in a loose line behind the woman, the charcoal robes grim and solemn as crows against the scarlet gaiety of her dress.

“You, my dear, have somehow managed to transport yourself into the middle of a warzone.” Cael reached out as he spoke, outlining the proper sigil with his ungloved fingertips. The portal slowly awoke with a faint rumble that sounded for all the world like far-distant thunder. The white, heatless flame burst into existence, filling the circle of marble and bathing the burnt-out basement in pale white light. “I’m afraid it might take a little while to figure a way to get you back out.”

The Shrikes, used to this by now, filed through the portal. By all accounts, portal-fire simply looked like thin, white wisps of flame. One could see the wall behind them if one looked for it. But the moment someone stepped fully into that fire, they were gone. No flashes of light, no noise – they just simply ceased to exist in this place. He waited, hand clamped on the cold stone, until his charges were through. Then he turned to look at the woman again.

“I promise it doesn’t hurt, regardless of what it look like. And I won’t let anyone harm you.” Though the odds are Sir Cronen will have quite a few questions for you. “We’re the good guys. That’s all you need to remember.” There was a snapping-pop from above, and a sudden rush of heat as another house succumbed to the Shrikes’ blaze. “…shall we be goin’, then?”

Crimson Matriarch
    GP

Name
    Ruby Winchester
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11"/139lbs

View Profile
    Ruby tried desperately to look as if she knew where or what the hell Cael was talking about, but could not achieve a satisfactory look of enthrallment. She was truly lost, reprehensibly so. There was little choice to be had now but to go with them following their offer, and see if such pursuits would provide a means to her end. The others, strange and odd creatures pointed back to the portal from whence she’d arrived and a spine tingling wave of apprehension buckled her at the knees, “Oh...”

“I think, given my options, that I will accompany you. I am not just a pretty face and have much to offer to the pursuing of rivalry and dishonour.”

Cael’s comments about his own nature only made Ruby swoon all the more. As he applauded his luck for finding an intellectual equal, so did she for finding someone more appeasing to the eye and more able to handle her illustrious and flamboyant ways. They just don’t make them like they used to!

“There’s no disappointment to be had, I’d prefer good company to be company forged on mutual interest as opposed to false proclamation of intent. If I am to help, and you are here to sabotage and pillage the interests of a party I care little about, then damned it to hell, I’ll do my best to earn passage from this blasted place!” She hunched up her skirt and walked with Cael as he proffered his arm about her shoulder.

Warzone.

A long word stuck in her mind, burnt into her retina and soul by the rush of ethereal flame that filled the circumference of the ancient stone structure. She dare not attempt to amuse herself with a soliloquy at this point, but the inference that she would somehow be out of place in such a thing as a warzone amused her. This coy advantage of womanhood that was being forced upon her was once something she would have rebelled against most furiously. She would have smashed plates, flirted with butlers and muttered profanities at dining tables to make her objections heard. But here, she could see its use, she could see the practical advantages to being assumed helpless.

Her face was now devoid of its usual cherry blossom; instead it was sickly milk grey that was given off by the portal. It wavered as the creatures went through it one by one, each time her stomach turned in remembrance of her exile, of the last dying shadow, of Duffy’s death apparent. Cael spoke to her once more, his soft voice reminding her that she had a role to play; but when did she ever not?

“I thank you for your concern sir, but I would be cautious of offering aid you cannot reliably hold yourself to.” She cocked him a smile and gently removed his arm from her shoulder, although its placement kept her warm, he had eyed up Wainwright’s Heart long enough. “So let us go,” she stepped forwards, and fell into nothingness.

As she spun once more from someplace to No Man’s Land, Cael’s words were laid out before her mind and shattered one by one.

Ruby knew there was no such thing as ‘the good guys.’ She knew there only ‘grey,’ and the shades between. That he had offered such an assurance so early on told Ruby that he was far from the good in this war she'd stumbled into, only a fool would have believed him. But how could she betray the man who held the key to her return?

She knew there was no such thing as safety or merit of such, it had always been her, Duffy and Lilith, looking out for one another on their own terms.

She knew now, that she had to grow up, real fast.

She knew now, that she had to have a song under her wing for every new possibility that she tumbled towards through the ancient portals of the Sway.

GP

Name
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Eye Color
    Light Blue
    Build
    6'3" / 145lbs
    Job
    Scribe/Inkmage/Mailman

“So what’s her name?”

Cael, half an hour later, found himself almost wishing he’d listened to his Shrikes and left the woman where she’d landed. Almost. He stood at something close to military attention in Sir Samil Cronen’s office: back ramrod straight, eyes fixed dead ahead. He’d been standing for nearly all that half hour, waiting for the Knight to calm down enough to simply ask questions. His bum leg was going numb, and his good ear still rang from the shouting.

“I don’t know.” You never gave me a chance to ask.

Cronen - for all intents and purposes his commanding officer in this mess - paced back and forth in front of him. The man was tall and bulky, bordering on pudgy. His black hair had gone mostly gray, and he wore it chopped short to his skull. He practically vibrated with barely-contained rage as he paced, and Cael would be lying if he said he wasn’t still watching warily for any sign of attack. His baritone voice was softer now, some of that anger vented over the last thirty minutes, but it was still edged with danger.

“Where’s she from?”

The portal that had carried them home lurked off against the far wall. He could feel the energy or presence that controlled it pressing against the Magicide clamp affixed around its edge. The ugly dull metal kept the circuit of sigils from completing like a sluice gate stopped a stream. The portal was testing it, trying to find a way around. It hadn't yet, but the constant probing made his brain itch in ways that felt uncomfortably like words on the tip of his tongue. He tried his very best to ignore it: attempting to figure out the words generally gave him a headache that lasted for days.

“I don’t know that either.”

Cronen paused, his shrewd brown eyes fixing Cael; a straight-pin through a rare butterfly, holding him in place. The danger in his voice lurked behind the intelligence there, and Cael swallowed hard despite himself. “…and yet you thought it was a good idea to bring her here.”

Cael’s eyes narrowed in return, and he crossed his arms with a tense shrug, some of the frustration creeping into his words. “The Shrikes did their job really good this time. Heivernok was going up in flames. I may be your saboteur, I may be your pack mule, but I am not your murderer.”

Cronen barked out a laugh, glancing at the stripes on Cael's shoulder. “Not a murderer when it doesn’t suit you, no.”

Cael bristled at the familiar insinuation, fighting the urge to rip the Captaincy emblems back off the coat.

I never asked for any of this. Don’t mock things you haven’t got a single bloody clue about.

The League knight returned to his pacing, unaware of the insult, his hands clasped behind his back. Cael relaxed just a bit, no longer at painful attention, following the man’s back and forth path across the room. The knight finally came to a stop next to his paper-piled desk, leaning against it with a sigh. Something shifted in his face, the lines around his eyes going softer.

“The hells were you thinking, Strandssen?” All the rage had faded. Cronen’s voice simply sounded tired now. Cael watched him rub his eyes with a growing seed of empathy.

I think we’re all tired of this.

“I guess I wasn’t, sir.” Cael returned, equally soft. “But what’s done is done.” Cronen snorted, but didn’t look up. “I wanted to ask if I could open the portal, get her through to the border at least…”

“No.” Cronen finally looked up. “I can’t let you do that.”

He’d been expecting that answer, but he still couldn’t stop himself from questioning it. “Why, sir? She’s one wom-”

“We don’t know where she’s from, or who she is,” Cronen interrupted smoothly, pushing away from the desk. He shook his head as he circled it, sitting down on the rickety chair behind it, reaching for one of the books buried in a pile of yellowing missives. “Until this is over, she’s staying. She’s your responsibility.”

My responsibility?!” That he hadn’t expected.

“Your responsibility.” Cronen’s smile was humorless. “Lock her up here, put her to work, I don’t really care which. See if she can’t provide some sort of civilizing influence on those damn firebirds of yours.”

Cael glanced towards the door, grimacing. “I’m not a kidnapper, either, sir…”

“It’s not kidnapping, Strandssen, it’s drafting. Forced conscription.” He discarded the book, jerking one of the desk drawers open instead. “It happens all the time.” He pulled a leather wallet from the bottom of the drawer, tossing it to Cael. “Get her name, fill that out, and she’ll at least get paid when this is all over.” His broad lips set in a firm line. “Now, I think you and the Shrikes had two more villages?” Cael had barely nodded when he continued. “Get rid of them, and get back here.” The book flipped open with a dull thump, and Cronen bent over it, effectively dismissing the scribe. “You’re being reassigned.”

“Reassi-”

“Is there an echo in here?” Cronen growled, not looking up. Cael pocketed the wallet, and gave the knight a sloppy salute.

“No, sir. By your leave, sir…”

Cronen just waved, irritably. Cael turned on his heel and headed for the door. He heard a clink of glass and the slosh of liquid being poured as the door swung closed behind him.

The League of Salvic States had more than one base of operations. They were gaining on the Church in leaps and bounds - and that wasn’t propaganda -but they hadn’t made those leaps through being sloppy. This particular base was a keep set into the foothills of the Ahyark mountains, carved into the very stone.

His footsteps echoed loudly off that stone as he hurried down the hall towards the common rooms, the last place he’d left the woman before Cronen had thrown his temper tantrum. His fingers clenched around the wallet.

Hopefully I can find some way to explain this.

Crimson Matriarch
    GP

Name
    Ruby Winchester
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11"/139lbs

View Profile
    The ‘common’ room couldn’t have been a better description, after all, it had an abundance of ‘commoners’, as Ruby disdainfully recognised. Her position in the centre of one such thoughorfare gave her a limited sense of place and of importance, but it was held only by her and the constant melee of passersby paid her no heed. She didn’t expect them too, they were far too busy going back and forth on whatever orders and errands they’d been assigned, all of them fighting physical discomfort and long hours for some cause she didn’t care for, some cause she didn’t think she’d be informed about. She was just a woman... after all. The noise of heavy footfalls and chattering delusions formed a patchwork quilt of activity, it reminded her somewhat of an ant’s nest, eternally moving but not getting much done.

Through the portal she’d flown, and into this new world she’d landed, already fifteen minutes had passed since the blonde man’s departure, and she grew nervous as to the outcome of her meeting with his superior. She felt impetuous, temperamental, and above all, she grew increasingly impatient as she waltzed to and fro, tapping her foot precisely eight times with both hands on her hips as she reached either end of her mock patrol. She casually admired the run down decor and dusty crates which were discarded here and there, as if supplies in a war zone were something to be had in abundance.

Neuralgia crept up on her again, and she pinched the bridge of her noise to sedate the spinning feeling as the portal's after image reminded her of the journey here, she smelt sulphur, and a hint of lavender, and it faded.

“You can positively smell the manliness here,” she commented to no-one in particular, “a woman’s touch would have this hideaway running allot more efficiently.”

She had noticed the ‘shrikes’ watching her curiously from around the doorway of a nearby adjacent room, and other stranger creatures did the same from behind tarpaulins and barrels of spears, a situation a woman as attractive as her might be accustomed to. Unfortunately, the occupants of the common rooms were not much more attractive than the gargoyles and edifices carved into the cold and dimly lit stone of the League’s Base of Operations, so instead of shrill enjoyment, Ruby suffered uncomfortable paranoia.

A few minutes more passed, and she turned just in time to see Cael waltzing towards her, his hand clenched, and his stern expression telling her all she needed to know. She was not to be given an easy way out of this, nor was she to sit on the sidelines in a comfortable chez longue with grapes, a fine Chianti and something approaching nude men slavered with olive oil.

“One can only assume,” she plucked up the courage to be the first to speak, kicking off her fine and amply complex Trade speak so that it reached the man from the other end of the corridor, “that your superior is not best pleased to see me here.” She waited for him to approach, so that she could see the whites of his eyes and make out the mottling and decorative stitching on his clothing – hardly designer.

“What is to be done with me, and how can I prove my worth, my dogma, and my temporary and somewhat tried allegiance to your kind’s cause?”

At the back of her mind a song sprung into existence, one she knew all too well, and one she knew would cause quite the ruckus in such a crowded environment. It was perfect, she thought, and silently she waited for her infamous temper to be tested by whatever offer or gender biased mockery would be thrown her way. Oh you just mention woman not being a part of war I swear to the gods!
    Last edited by Duffy; 12-27-09 at 07:51 AM.

GP

Name
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Eye Color
    Light Blue
    Build
    6'3" / 145lbs
    Job
    Scribe/Inkmage/Mailman

“…no.” Cael agreed as he drew near to the corridor’s end, boots echoing against the stone all around. “No, he wasn’t. I tried to get permission to get you down to the border, at least, but…” He gave a shrug.

Technically, he could go against Cronen’s orders, but in order to do that he’d have to touch the Magicide around the portal. Just the idea of touching the magic-killing metal sent a horrible feeling through him, like cold worms crawling up his spine. He had to take a deep breath to banish the sensation. The air was stale and smelled like dirt and sweat.

Lovely place to hold a war.

He shook his head. “Sir Cronen’s being…unreasonable,” he said the word carefully, glancing over his shoulder just in case. The general melee of passersby had subsided for once; the corridor was mostly deserted, with only a returning reconnaissance team visible. They were too busy comparing clipboards in the light spilling out of the canteen door to pay Cael’s conversation any mind. “I should be used to it by now - it is about his normal state of mind these days…”

He went silent when the recon team passed by, heading towards Cronen’s office. It was mostly out of habit - the knight, while unreasonable, hadn’t quite reached the level of paranoia Cael was used to in politics and war. He hadn’t taken any of Cael’s near-constant complaining as a reason to gut him in the snow yet.

He spoke again once the team had vanished around the corner, arguing about the mountains and the border. “You, however, have a choice.” He waved the wallet at her, absently. “You can come with me an’ the Shrikes on our last two assignments, get paid for wreaking havoc…” He trailed off, scrubbing a hand through his hair.

I can’t just drag her into that with no warning.

“…which could, I must warn you, end with us all hanged off whatever vaguely-gallows-like object the Clergy happens finds handy if they catch up with us – well, me. They’ve not got anything on the Shrikes, but the Church is very big on guilty by association.”

He made a face. The Shrikes liked to joke that he was worth more to the church dead than he was alive. He didn’t appreciate the joke – mostly because it was entirely true. All because of one prison escape and the self-defense killing that had earned him this position…

“Plus, we’re on the verge of reassignment gods only know where, and I’m not sure even they know what.” His smile, while bright, was possibly also a little bit mad.

“The other option is, of course, for you to hole up here and go completely stir-crazy by the time I’m permitted to get you out. I don’t think you’d get paid for that option, and…well. That might be tomorrow, might be next spring. There’s no real way of knowing. ” His shoulders shifted in another shrug and an arthritic crack of muscle. The cold was working wonders with scar tissue and worn joints.

I knew I never should have come home.

He beckoned for her to follow, heading down the hall towards the canteen. Maybe warmth and food would help him think. “Neither choice is wonderful, I’m afraid, but at least it’s a choice.” He thought for a second, and chuckled. "More of a choice than I was given, at that.”

Crimson Matriarch
    GP

Name
    Ruby Winchester
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11"/139lbs

View Profile
    Ruby considered her options vaguely, as she followed Cael to whatever room he was going to try his wiles with her in. She didn’t mean those sorts of whiles, she was married, it simply wasn’t going to happen, but already she had the impression that this particular individual did his fighting with words, not weapons, and that suited her particular intellect just fine. He was correct on all bar one assumption, Ruby relished havoc, and she’d already resigned herself to acceptance, even before her ‘ultimatum’ had been issued.

“No need to worry young’un, I’ve more up these pompous sleeves than daggers and poisons can ever conceal, I as to ask,” she let her natural accept slip into being, becoming at last a little more comfortable with her surroundings. “This…’war.’”

Some inner inkling told to her stop her train of thought right there, told her to just shut up and not pry into the situation. The best way to remain unattached from any situation was to not know what was going on, becoming empathic, understanding any given notion only lead to complications. She rambled on anyway, blissfully unaware. “What’s it about?”

The Aria spiralled into a stormy metropolis of anger, waves clashing with a gale to strip the glory of the Sway bare from the rocks on which it was built. Little did Ruby La Roux, small town girl and occasional whore know, just what exactly she was getting herself in for. All she knew was that the tail end of the corridor they were walking down smelled ‘hellu’va good’ and she was grossly not dressed to suit her evening. Realising that she was in a sandy and dank hideaway in someone’s backyard, she cast aside the hopes for a nice ribbon doublet or a comfortable unisex chez long, and settled into the grimy non-chalice of a slum runner.

Her heels clipped the stone as they walked, chiming like the bell of Scara Brae’s grandest cathedral, casting aside the tension in great waves of class, swaying hips, and a stork like delivery of just what they needed to the League.

The Aria settled, it’s war song sung and it’s eyes staring through time to see what fate awaited it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast