Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Light blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Job
    Wizard for hire, freelance alchemist, translator, navigator, and archivist

It took most of the Magi to cast the spell. Vara assisted them as her last act on the Path of the Seer. "I'm thinking...it's time I take a Zero Step of my own," she told him as she and Shaul cuddled over breakfast. It was diabetically delightful. "I think that maybe...I should let me Faith do the talking for a while. Tempered, of course, by love..."

They'd kissed then, the Ranger and the Seer. Caden checked his teeth for cavities the moment they left the room.

He had time enough to take one last look around the town, to wave good-bye to a few of the locals he'd gotten to know. To impart some choice wisdom and/or moral corruption on the youngsters. Both the remaining Drow Rangers, Fiera and Nolara, pecked him on the cheek and slapped him on the rear (which would've felt better if not for chainmail gauntlets). Suggestive comments were offered and brushed aside just as quickly; Caden didn't expect to get anything more out of Drow women than he did out of Elves.

He only regretted this decision for a minute or two. Really.

At the end of it all though, something unexpected happened. He was ascending the stairs to the College Arcana's inner sanctum, where the teleportation was going to take place, when Neesal practically intercepted him out of nowhere. Iera was with her, couched on momma's lap.

Caden didn't remember a lot of what was said. And he'd never write it down. Just that they stood and walked outside the college for a good twenty minutes before arriving back where they started. And then she'd said some things, and he'd said some things, and somehow the little girl had the name Iera Law.

At the last moment, right as he was about to continue up the stairs, Neesal got ahead of him. Cut him off and turned around. And with a smile, she did a very human thing by grabbing him around the ear, clumsy and not at all ritualized. She ran a thumb across his ear lobe.

Then she placed her lips to his.

Five years on, Caden Law finally got a kiss.

If he still kept a score card relating to Elven women, it would've been updated to 1-Irrelevant right then and there. They said some more things after that, a lot of maybes and what ifs. They hugged and embraced again, and then he continued on and she followed. Not as an apprentice, or even as a woman, but as a fellow Mage.

Neesal was there that day, helping carry out the spell. Ranger Cessae watched after little Iera Law during the process. Caden brandished his staff, checked his armor one last time, saluted everyone and said simply...

"No rest for the Wizard, folks. I'll see you on the other side."

He stepped through the portal and was gone.
    RPs to Date
    Items or EXP listed until profile updates are made.

Stairway to Heaven - Complete.
    Into Yesterday - In Progress.

Resident Pointy Hat
    EXP: 68,785, Level: 10
    Level completed: 32%, EXP required for next level: 8,215
    Level completed: 32%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,215
    GP

Name
    Caden "Blueraven" Law
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Light blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Job
    Wizard for hire, freelance alchemist, translator, navigator, and archivist

Out of Character:
    Spoils: ...and iiiiiit's a doozy.

Staff of Power: Caden has acquired a bona fide Staff of Power as a result of his time spent in Anebrilith-Beinost. It consists of an obscure material called a Shard of Resonance, causing it to shape itself in accord with the soul of the wielder. Each shaping is a one-time happening that requires some kind of divine approval. The Shard resonated with Caden into the form of a proper Staff of Power, with a construction perfectly resembling Prevalida both inside and out. Caps are screwed on at each end, allowing for future modifications. It's black with runic and symbolic indentations all over, each one filled in with an orange 'gel' like material that glows blue during spellcasting.

Incidentally, all money that would have been given to me for this quest, along with all money from my Exemplary Contributor prize, as well as the actual prize itself, are factored into me getting this thing. The relavent thread can be found here.

Armor: In addition to his chestplate, Caden now has a set of cavalry armor for his arms and legs. There are plenty of gaps, but every little bit helps. All of this new armor is patterned after, and strongly resembles, Caden's original Conscript Breastplate. It's all Steel, Above Average quality.*

It started at Excellent, but battle damage took a toll.

Alchemy: As a consequence of all his time spent restoring food and his role in transmuting an entire city, Caden has risen to Above Average in his Alchemy education. He still can't transmute metals or large objects on his own, and he cannot use it in combat under any circumstance. This talent remains most useful for mending thread, fixing glasses, and dealing with food.

Knowledge: Caden's knowledge of Necromancy has gone up to Expert level, with specific attention to counter necromancy. Most of this knowledge is beyond his practical skills as a spellcaster, and instead applies to knowledge of the mechanics and theory behind how necromancy works.

Magic: Caden has advanced to Expert at Geomancy, Arcane Magic, and Thermal Magic. He's become Above Average with Gravity and Average with Necromancy.

Spellwork: Caden has obtained the basic concepts for a Thermal Tornado, Thermal and Necromantic barrier spellwork. His Thermal knowledge now includes the know-how to lob both Fireballs and Frostbolts.

And for the actual continent of Raiaera...

Raiaera: Beinost: The City of Anebrilith has been torn down and rebuilt as Beinost, the Beautiful City. Damage from the sieges has been almost completely erased within city limits, while the land that surrounds it is still in need of purification and rebuilding. The city is only sparsely populated at this point, around ~5,000 people, almost all of them Elves or Half-Elves, but there's plenty of room and the locals are a hard bunch who've been through Hell twice and come back for more. It is noteworthy for being the only major city in Raiaera with no prejudice towards Alerians or Dark Elves/Drow in general, due in no small part to the role some of them played in its final liberation. Despite its beauty and tremendous potential, the city was built using the souls of the dead as a material component. While they were almost universally volunteers, the place may well be haunted and could turn into a hotbed for the dark arts if mismanaged. Like Anebrilith, Beinost is a port city.

Beinost: The College Arcana: Built and then left empty in the heart of Beinost's Magic District. The College Arcana is a work-in-progress, with all but one of its future core staff travelling the world in search of knowledge arcana, artifacts, and all the other stuff that makes such a place viable. Its specialty will, eventually, be a Salvic-inspired, Raiaeran-modified form of general Wizardry, with little or no actual bardic or divine influences. Pointy Hats and Robes will, apparently, be the standard uniform for actual Wizards. Its only current residents are Neesal Danfras, a pyromancer Mage, and her baby daughter, Iera Law. Neesal remains to keep the place in shape and prevent squatters or prospective thieves from swiping anything on College grounds. Currently, the College hosts only copies of magical knowledge found in Blueraven's Grimoire at the time of the Second Siege of Anebrilith, and a copy of the teleportation spell used to reach Xem'zund's tomb.

As an aside: While the College Arcana does figure into my Extremely Long Term plans, I leave it up to the Raiaeran Continent Writer as to whether or not anything is done with it. Boot Neesal and Iera out as you will, open the school up if you want.
    RPs to Date
    Items or EXP listed until profile updates are made.

Stairway to Heaven - Complete.
    Into Yesterday - In Progress.

God of Bards
    EXP: 99,783, Level: 13
    Level completed: 70%, EXP required for next level: 4,217
    Level completed: 70%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,217
    GP

Name
    Duffy
    Race
    Thayne
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'8"/160lbs
    Job
    Bladesinger

View Profile

Judgement

Ain’t any Rest for the Wizard? Try Being A Judge!

Pacing – 6 – languorous, more so due to the thread’s length than any part or parcel of your writing. The quick and snappy nature of your dialogue and excellent wit played a part in detracting here – it’s still very solid, just lacking in spite of other scores.

Setting – 8

Continuity – 7 the journal entries were particularly impressive, how you managed to enter them and not lose continuity or place in your tale I don’t know, but you better share soon!

Total Score (23/30)

-

Action – 7 – strong effort, but the simple direction and the repetitive nature of your spell descriptions didn’t lend to a truly exceptional (although still high) score.

Dialogue – 10 – I don’t need to say anything – it’s truly a joy to read, it’s that good.

Persona – 10 – I’m not going to even go near this, you know your character better than you know yourself.

Total Score (27/30)

-

Technique – 8 – it’s good to see somebody can use coloured text wisely, and your dialogue, rhetoric and wit is superbly utilised to tighten everything together.

Mechanics – 8

Clarity – 6 – whilst everything read well, there’s one or two bits I did lose focus, the action was thick and fast, as was the introduction, but it held together competently enough. My only small piece of advice is too stuck to the 15-25 posters; you work best in a smaller framework, where your otherwise quicksilver tongue works wonders.

Total Score (24/30)

-

Wild Card – 8 – exceptional form as ever, although still by far your weakest thread of the two I’ve judged, you’re miles ahead of the rest of us – keep this up and I might give you a cookie!

Total Score = 82/100

Caden Law receives 11,500 Xp points, gold deducted towards the Staff.

Caden advances TWO levels!

Spoils: The location spoils have been approved by Flames, so discuss their merits with him if you require any further information or discussion, they are beyond my comprehension to deal with.

Staff of Power: Same with this, you will need to discuss with Task the cost and deductions as per the linked thread; it is simply too powerful to be considered as a thread spoil, even though it is an exemplary writing effort.

Thread Spoils Awarded:

Armor: In addition to his chestplate, Caden now has a set of cavalry armor for his arms and legs. There are plenty of gaps, but every little bit helps. All of this new armor is patterned after, and strongly resembles, Caden's original Conscript Breastplate. It's all Steel, Above Average quality, although it possesses a curious but benign curse, which makes the wearer smell strongly of manure and bray wildly every time he or she says horse, stallion or steed, or similar word - only when actually riding such a thing. Such a curse won't be detected until it is activated, and can be removed, should someone versed in such things be found.

Knowledge: Caden's knowledge of Necromancy has gone up to Expert level, with specific attention to counter necromancy. Most of this knowledge is beyond his practical skills as a spellcaster, and instead applies to knowledge of the mechanics and theory behind how necromancy works.

Magic: Caden has advanced to Expert at Geomancy, Arcane Magic, and Thermal Magic. He's become Above Average with Gravity and Average with Necromancy.

I simply cannot approve this many updates, if you were to level up and apply these improvements alone, you'd have your quota for upgrades right here. I kindly ask you to select two schools from this selection to increase, and you will have to have them approved via the ROG upon your next level up.
    Spellwork: The spell and 'concept' are added to your grimoire or personal effects, further exploration (and of course, approval from the ROG) will be required before such an endeavor falls within the easy reach of a wizard, even one as powerful as Caden.

Story Spoil: (As per the 60+ bonus Duffy Rule) Infamy Untold - such were Caden's deeds in the city, that his name is spreading over the continent. Whilst this brings praise, charity, women and scotch, it also brings bounty hunters, rival wizards and vagabonds. He now has below average diplomacy as an automatic trait when talking or dealing with Raiaeran officials, citizens or common whores.
    Last edited by Duffy; 01-20-10 at 06:29 PM.

Iwishlifehadcheatcodes
    EXP: 23,421, Level: 6
    Level completed: 49%, EXP required for next level: 3,579
    Level completed: 49%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,579
    GP

Name
    Einar Fenrisson
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown, buzz cut mohawk
    Eye Color
    hazel
    Build
    6'2" / 315
    Job
    Outcast Noble

View Profile
    Error in calculation :: Exp gains should be 11,215 which puts Caden at 43,562 and advances one level to 7!

Exp and GP added.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345