I realize this is way past when the discussion happened, but since its still the fourth most recent thread I'm going to plow ahead anyway.

On topic of the abilities and items being integrated in character level, and also GP value, its already happened. Its been a while, and I'm infrequently on the site (a few times per year, sadly), but I recall someone posting an update and just getting screwed. The person (don't remember either mod or writer), had just leveled up and bought a really bitchin sword that was enchanted and cost like 5k gp, then went to do the level up and wasn't allowed to have the new updates and ended up barely making any advancement because in combination with the sword it made the character overpowered. The sword that they'd just spent a shit-ton of gold on. It wasn't my character, didn't affect me, but I felt they got robbed ridiculously. If they'd just done the update, then bought the sword, it would have been no problem.

This was bullshit then, especially cause it didn't seem to happen to everyone, but nobody made a fuss about it that I saw. It was an example of the way GP isn't worth using, and it also makes it so that actually using the GP you've horded would then devalue the exp you've earned.

I don't know if this is still relevant, I'm still working my way through the site since the last summer when I was here, but I thought I'd post it while it was on my mind.