Coming to Dheathain was always a welcome breath of fresh air. The nation was far enough away from the rest of Althanas that news was slow to get there, and the natives were straight out of legend, which made it seem not quite real.

It was a slow-paced, friendly little nation (if one didn't cross the Draconians), and that always helped Alydia rest and get back to herself when she felt stressed out. It helped that it was a nation of many ancient ruins that had yet to be fully explored. While there was plenty to steal, there was more to discover.

On very rare occasions, it was good for her to take a step back from the image she was trying to build for herself, that of the rakish rogue, and just delve into something for the sheer joy of discovery. Dheathain, more than any other nation, offered that.

Of course, there was a significant amount of danger involved in going to discover anything in the lost jungle ruins. If the carnivorous beasts didn't nearly eat an adventurer as they wandered the jungle, the treacherous terrain would either claim them or get them lost. In the rare event someone made it to their target intact, crumbling structures and booby traps were the next lethal barriers between a scholar and her artifact.

Of course, that was what made the whole thing worthwhile. It just wouldn't be any fun to walk into a place, find a shard of pottery, and say it showed anything. There was a little bit of a thrill involved in finding a little piece of ancient history (she still had the ancient bone charm she'd found in a cave as a child, while out on a hike with the Chief), but having to work for something really good was almost as fulfilling as a long, hard-fought chase.

She stepped off the boat and into Talmhaidh, only to be greeted by a short man whose blue eyes sparkled with fun and whose wings fluttered with joy at seeing his old friend again - and at the prospect of adventure she always brought with her.

"Aly, me lovely!" he called out upon seeing her, brushing some nut-brown hair from his face. "'Tis been too long. Y' make us think we'll ne'er see ye again, some times."

A grin crossed the Alerian's painted-red lips. "Indeed it has, Deag."

He fluttered up to her and put a hand on her arm. "Bron and Sintta sent me word of what happened, lass. An' I am..."

Aly shook her head. "There has been plenty of time for that. And it is hard, Deag. So very, very hard. But I came here for a vacation, not a memorial. Once things have settled down in other parts of the world... then. Then we'll all find the time. But not now."

At a nod from Deag, she walked along with him. "Are Daingean Laghairt and Maith Fear well?"

"Ay, me lass. We're all well, and they're savin' a table fer us a' th' pub. We've heard tale of a grand wee place deep i' th' woods, jus' like y' asked. An' they're more than happy t' accompany y' in."

The thief flicked a thick lock of black hair over her shoulder and gave the lithe Fae a satisfied smirk.

"Perfect."

Within a few minutes, the two were seated with a green Draconian man and a slender human with an open face and hair nearly as dark as Aly's skin. The place was clean and airy, not dark, dingy, and musky like she'd be forced to hole up in if she were in a different nation. They were served food and drinks, and instead of getting right to business, spent some time laughing and joking.

Aly couldn't remember the last time she'd just been able to relax. That, truly, was the best part of her job: spending time with her people.