Brownish, with off white crown
    Eye Color
    Deep blue
    Build
    6' // 195 lbs
    Job
    mercenary

Quote Originally Posted by Funji
    Ok, I don't play Vampires, but uhh. Why should you guys standardize a history? That would take a gouge out of the ideals this site was built on. That's like saying "You're a human, you come from here, then you went here" What kind of character development/History building is there in this. If a history is standardized, new vampires are going to submit

personality: blah blah blah

History: See Thread X

and they won't be able to create the fantasy character they TRULY want...ok, I'm done.

EDIT: Why is everyone getting so snappy? I see F*** this and F*** that flying around all because a few guys wanted their characters to remained unchanged (maybe they're women... no offense intended)
    Quite the contrary. The Timeline represents history of humans, but do you see any humans refering to that thread? I don't. And personally I think that if your history is just based on someone else's thread that is already up then you don't have a character, you have a broad background for a race... which is what I posted.

In all truth the Timeline does say humans "come from here, and then went there". But it's very broad and doesn't have anything specific. The background for the vampires is the same thing. It does not specifically say that a single vampire on Althanas went on this single course. Even if it did the person doesn't have to play that vampire character... they can make their own.

In all truth I think that all I did was enlighten an give a depth to a history that was already present. The fact that people are reacting the way they are, as far as background origins, is somewhat rediculous since the origin of the vampires was posted far before I posted this...

As far as the cursing... it's a habit. The Army's really bad for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus the Virus
    It's all quite easy to work with, and I like it. Every race needs this, seriously.
    I agree fully.

GP

Name
    Chidori Astram Draconid
    Race
    Deity (human form)
    Hair Color
    Orchid Black
    Eye Color
    Starburst Grey
    Build
    5'9 140 lbs
    Job
    Meddler (hehe)

Quote Originally Posted by Funji
    That would take a gouge out of the ideals this site was built on.
    I have to go on record as saying that I have to disagree with you on that. It's not going to stifle the creativity of players on Althanas because no matter what they write about their character the mod is going to approve it. Really I don't see how this does any of the Vampiric characters any harm.

I basically see it as this. If your character believes something else about the origin of the Vampire then so be it, just like judeo-christians believe that the first humans were crafted out of clay and scientists believe that we evolved from primates. Stephen Colbert believes that the Earth began five thousand years ago, while textbooks still say it's much older according to scientific evidence (there are real Christians who believe that. If you're reading I didn't mean that to make fun of you. I'm just trying to prove a point here). Not everyone has to agree with it.

Survani and the very origins of Fallien contradict the Elder Thayne Lore, and so does the religion of Raiaera. You don't see every Raiaeran High Elf being a devout follower of the religion Sighter Tnailog worked so hard to create, do you? I'm pretty sure Letho made a batch of deities for Corone as well, and you don't see them mentioned or recognized by the others. There are even some characters in Althanas who don't believe in the Tap or the Forgotten Ones, but they're here and that doesn't stop us from playing or being creative.

You don't have to follow this, and for those of you who do, great, but I think it's very petty to reject something just because it doesn't exactly match what you're doing.

I say put it up. Make it official, and if you guys don't want to follow it then fine. Someone will.

Why is everyone getting so snappy? I see F*** this and F*** that flying around all because a few guys wanted their characters to remained unchanged
    That's how things are done in Japanese and British Parliament and things get done way faster than they do with the U.S. Congress. Profanity works. It's a fact. lol
    Last edited by Chidori Draconid; 07-29-06 at 12:07 AM.
    Belief is a beautiful armor
    But makes for the heaviest sword
    Like punching under water
    You never can hit who you're trying for

Some meet the exhibition and
    Some have to know they tried
    It's the chemical weapon
    For the war that's raging on inside

-John Mayer Belief

GP

Name
    Vorin Káno
    Race
    Vampire
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Luminescent Blue
    Build
    6'1", 175 lbs.
    Job
    Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus the Virus
    I don't really see the issue with it being 'standardized'.
    And what if they standardize where magic comes from, entirely. I've heard of one source, but what if other players have other ideas for their magic? It takes away from some of the intrigue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidori
    You don't have to follow this, and for those of you who do, great, but I think it's very petty to reject something just because it doesn't exactly match what you're doing.
    Did you know anyone who follows althanas cannon is awarded extra rewards in quests and at registration? Can you tell me that's not pressure to actually follow the ideas? What if they stated where dieties came from, and it was different from your explaniation?

I'm going to say my one real problem with this.

Vampires were one of the children of the Forgotten. In order to spite the victorious elfish nations that had fought the powerful mages a race of immortal blood-sucking undead were created. During this time the first blood rituals* were performed.
    Why are vampires always a plague? It's always someone's bane, or their curse. I don't know why people just don't see vampires for what they are. Normal creatures that kill to live. It's nature, but everyone seems to think their some sort of ailment on the land. I don't like this explaniation, and I had planned for another, atleast for Vorin's history. But if this is cannon mine is just some stupid idea no one will look at so I might as well just not do it. And believe me, there will always be people who argue against my explanation if I use it.

Edit: Oh, and I don't like the idea of vampire cities. I just don't think that would work on a technical level and in general. Wolves hunt in packs because they take down game bigger then themselves. Vampires kill game their size and finish it all.
    "Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste
    I've been around for a long long year, Stole many a man's soul and faith

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ, Had his moment of doubt and pain
    Made damn sure that Pilate, Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name
    But what's puzzling you, Is the nature of my game?"Sympathy for the Devil - Guns n Roses, cover of The Rolling Stones

I am a pudding pop

Carpetmuncher
    EXP: 1,354, Level: 1
    Level completed: 68%, EXP required for next level: 646
    Level completed: 68%,
    EXP required for next level: 646
    GP

Name
    Luc Kraus
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5' 6'' 145 lbs

Well, for one thing, we're not discussing magic. But if we were, I'd say it's a fucking good idea, because right now it's just so random that magic exists in the first place. I'd certainly tie Luc's magic into this source as soon as it was made.
    Cold, jade eyes that liquify
    eyes that are merciless,
    staring in mute mockery
    and in mockery of the muteness

GP

Name
    Vorin Káno
    Race
    Vampire
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Luminescent Blue
    Build
    6'1", 175 lbs.
    Job
    Connoisseur

Well, for one thing, we're not discussing magic. But if we were, I'd say it's a fucking good idea, because right now it's just so random that magic exists in the first place. I'd certainly tie Luc's magic into this source as soon as it was made.
    What if it didn't fit your character's magic type? What if it changed Luc into something you never envisioned?

But what's puzzling you, Is the nature of my game?"Sympathy for the Devil - Guns n Roses, cover of The Rolling Stones

I am a pudding pop

EXP: 23,049, Level: 6
    Level completed: 44%, EXP required for next level: 3,951
    Level completed: 44%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,951
    GP

Name
    stupid requirement

as would I for Jasmine's magic...currently, since it's not standarized, she has no idea where her magic abilities come from and kinda takes it for granted that they are there for her race.

as far as standarizing a race, I think it's a great idea. According to the timeline, most vampires by now would have been sired in some way or another. I don't see why as far as that goes, that you just simply don't standardize how one may be sired and let there be as many ways as there are people to think of them.

The only problem I see with this is this:

the biggest thing I’ve said in this is that people can’t be born vampires. All “born vampires” would have to be over 3000 years old if they are going to rped.
    what do those characters, like Nightsangel do then? Her character was born to a vampire family, but Sivi is only 99 vampiress years old.

I have jasmine's race fully developed and explained in my profile. I did that for the approval mod's sake, but it works. The only thing I haven't done with it, or the native people of the island, is give them deities.

EDIT: Why don't we try this bright idea? try to amagulate as many ideas of the players as can be fitted into the history. For instance, we have the original Haidan vampires.... will it really make that big a difference if you allow for a small group to have left much earlier than the "orginal" group and for that first, unknown, group to have multiplied on the surface and developed differently than the Haidan ones? Enough so that they were the same species, vampire, but they were different like a human from China is entirely different from one born in the depths of Africa?
    Last edited by Jasmine; 07-29-06 at 01:43 AM.

GP

Name
    Chidori Astram Draconid
    Race
    Deity (human form)
    Hair Color
    Orchid Black
    Eye Color
    Starburst Grey
    Build
    5'9 140 lbs
    Job
    Meddler (hehe)

Quote Originally Posted by Vorin
    Can you tell me that's not pressure to actually follow the ideas?
    In my opinion that's encouragement. If you want pressure go to Alleria and try to register a Gravity Mage. No matter how weak, they won't let you because their 'libraries' don't mention such. The incentives for remaining accurate to the background information of Althanas are small (200 exp, another 100 gp), and if I, the level 0, am not encouraged to stick to Althanas' story then I don't suspect there will be many people who will be.
    What if they stated where dieties came from, and it was different from your explaniation?
    The mods aren't going to stop us, and aren't allowed to stop us from doing our own thing. Hell, my character is a God who hung out with an Elder Thayne Deity at a party, and is now assisting Survani with her only son. No one's stoping me.
    Why are vampires always a plague? It's always someone's bane, or their curse. I don't know why people just don't see vampires for what they are. Normal creatures that kill to live. It's nature, but everyone seems to think their some sort of ailment on the land. I don't like this explaniation, and I had planned for another, atleast for Vorin's history.
    By all means do it. No one's stoping you. In fact you could have an entire following of Vampire PC's that follow your beliefs based on the evidence that you dig up. I'm not saying that Osato's origin is wrong/right or that yours is wrong/right. But neither's creativity will have been stifled. Plus if Osato's is in the history of Althanas it will cause a more realistic social effect among the PC's. Let's be frank, not many people are going to buy into a benign origin for Vampires, which would make your cause all the more realistic.
    Last edited by Chidori Draconid; 07-29-06 at 01:57 AM.
    Belief is a beautiful armor
    But makes for the heaviest sword
    Like punching under water
    You never can hit who you're trying for

Some meet the exhibition and
    Some have to know they tried
    It's the chemical weapon
    For the war that's raging on inside

-John Mayer Belief

Carpetmuncher
    GP

Name
    Luc Kraus
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5' 6'' 145 lbs

What if it didn't fit your character's magic type? What if it changed Luc into something you never envisioned?
    It wouldn't happen. If magic came from a Tap, as mentioned, I'd perhaps make it so Luc was somehow born of the Tap, since I have an opening in his history since his parents are hardly mentioned. Or I'd just put a line in his magic section about how he 'weaves the threads of the Tap that are within the elements', or something like that, like he has a natural ability to do it.

I can't think of anything we can do with magic that would hinder Luc or his character, or my vision of what his magic is... I think it's all about being flexible, and not even very flexible, you know?

I guess I'm defensive here because I've longed to see this type of thing fleshed out for a long time, and seeing people against it for these reasons is bugging me a bit. I mean really, no matter what explanations Osato writes up, you can always do something different in the end.

Fuck I love this website.
    eyes that are merciless,
    staring in mute mockery

GP

Name
    Vorin Káno
    Race
    Vampire
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Luminescent Blue
    Build
    6'1", 175 lbs.
    Job
    Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Chidori
    I'm not saying that Osato's origin is wrong/right or that yours is wrong/right.
    No, it does mean Osato's is right. His is the cannon and OOCly seen as the story. Mine will always be wrong. His will be on the offical timeline and fully fleshed out. His will be recgonized by other people. His is right. That's kinda' what the history is. Of course I can have another origin story, but it will only be a story, and his will always be the truth.

The incentives for remaining accurate to the background information of Althanas are small (200 exp, another 100 gp), and if I, the level 0,
    I was an RoG mod, I know the registration rewards. But do you know judges reward players using althanas history in their quests? These things add up after a few quests.

Of course there will always be a way to put a hole in things, but isn't it more fair if people work together on this instead of one person writing it all up? Osato has valid ideas but they shouldn't be his ideas alone.

I am a pudding pop

Carpetmuncher
    GP

Name
    Luc Kraus
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5' 6'' 145 lbs

I'm sure anyone else is welcome to post their thoughts and ideas, which is why he posted it.

But really, is your character's history anything beyond a 'story' now? The only difference between now and (if it's approved) when Osato's timeline here is put up, is that other vampire characters will have something to work with, not to mention anyone else who wants to have a vampire storyline that has something to do with Althanas history. The 'truth' of Vorin's history won't be any different.

Not to be mean, but it's not like people look at Vorin's history as an outline of the vampire legion or whatever, you know? No character's history is supposed to be the tell-all of a race unless they made it up. No, it won't fit with everyone's character if race histories and such go up, but it'll add fleshiness to this bare-bones Althanas world we have right now. In the future, people can use the outlines to make good characters and share in a race even if they've never talked with anyone on Althanas before.

I mean, I see plenty of positives here, and the only negative seems to be that it doesn't work with some individual characters' histories.
    eyes that are merciless,
    staring in mute mockery

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast