Human
    Hair Color
    Light blond
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Job
    Wizard for hire, freelance alchemist, translator, navigator, and archivist

Quote Originally Posted by Visla Eraclaire View Post
    I agree that over-mature children are a problem. That's why I would try to avoid the elvish situation exacerbating it.

Knave is right about just doing something unexpected and original, so long as you think it through. Pick a rule, figure out its consequences, and apply them consistently. Playing elves are just "better" humans is boring though. I prefer to look at the genuine consequences of a long lifetime, including bitterness, detachment, and a short of flightiness about things shorter-lived races would consider extremely dire.

"Oh, thousands of people are going to die, are they? Well, I've seen about fifty thousand die in my life so far, and I imagine it'll be close to a million in the final accounting. Best of luck with that."
    When doing this, you have to be careful to avoid being offputting or wangsty. Proper angst is one thing, but a character whose whole existence boils down to "I'll live forever so what do you matter? " or "Who wants to live forever? " is really, really annoying.

And also: Ignore anyone telling you to be original. Cliches become cliche because they work. Knave's own character looks like the knock-off spawn of a couple generations worth of Nyarlathotep worshippers from the Lovecraft Mythos with a few generic Signs of Villainy scattered in to give a moral perspective. Visla is basically a stock subversion of a Mary Sue waif spellcaster. I refuse to comment on my own characters, but I'm sure anyone can pick out about ninety atrocious stereotypes in any one of them.

Originality is irrelevant. An enjoyable story is all that matters. If you find a formula that works, whether it's older than dirt or fresh as newly cut grass, go with it.
    RPs to Date
    Items or EXP listed until profile updates are made.

Stairway to Heaven - Complete.
    Into Yesterday - In Progress.

EXP: 46,568, Level: 9
    Level completed: 26%, EXP required for next level: 7,432
    Level completed: 26%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,432
    GP

Name
    Visla Layne Eraclaire
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Raw Umber Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    5'3" / 115 lbs

I disagree with that characterization. What the hell would a "stock subversion" be? I think she subverts a lot of RPG character tropes, but she plays others straight, averts others, etc. I think the attempt to box it all in as "stock" this and "stock" that is really arrogant. I think it wasn't meant to be insulting, but I found it blithe and symptomatic of a sort of "seen it all before" mentality that gets really tiresome, especially if you spend any time on TVTropes which I suspect Caden does.

I should correct myself about saying "be original" though. Be original if it works and you have a good idea. If you don't, people have been reading stories about generic elves for a good long time. There's no need to reinvent the wheel, but if six different people are trying to sell you six different types of wheel that all have dubious pedigrees, it probably couldn't hurt to make your own, if you know how to make a wheel. That's a really strained analogy, but I was determined to get through it.

Finally, my example elf would make a good side character. I would never write something centering on such a person, because as Caden said it would get extremely irritating. Though I might mention that when I write them such elves tend to be very friendly and interested in things, just non-committal and privately conflicted. I think they're only slightly more likely than normal humans to get irritating, only because you have an extra hurdle in making their feelings relatable.
    Last edited by Visla Eraclaire; 06-02-10 at 02:08 PM.
    We talkin bout practice
    Not a game, not a game, not a game
    We talkin bout practice

GP

Race
    Dark Elf
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Black
    Job
    Jester

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to do with this character overall. I've researched what you guys have in the (rather outdated) Alerar Almenac, which gave me a lot of information. The only thing is that under most of the other region Alms. the age range is either listed, or basically implied. I didn't want to make some old tart elf whose been around forever, but has yet to obtain a wrinkle or single sign of aging. I just want a character that I can develope as if he were just reaching his prime, which is why I asked the question.

The whole Alerar idea interested me and it seems that not too many people are writing there at the moment, so hopefully I can bring some life into the place.

Once again, thank you everyone!

Iwishlifehadcheatcodes
    EXP: 23,421, Level: 6
    Level completed: 49%, EXP required for next level: 3,579
    Level completed: 49%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,579
    GP

Name
    Einar Fenrisson
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown, buzz cut mohawk
    Eye Color
    hazel
    Build
    6'2" / 315
    Job
    Outcast Noble

View Profile
    I make Too many face

Elves are what you make them until we create a reason to believe otherwise.

EXP: 12,909, Level: 3
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next level: 1,091
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,091
    GP

Name
    Savas Tigh
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Necromancer, aspiring Evil Overlord

I disagree with that characterization. What the hell would a "stock subversion" be? I think she subverts a lot of RPG character tropes, but she plays others straight, averts others, etc. I think the attempt to box it all in as "stock" this and "stock" that is really arrogant. I think it wasn't meant to be insulting, but I found it blithe and symptomatic of a sort of "seen it all before" mentality that gets really tiresome, especially if you spend any time on TVTropes which I suspect Caden does.
    Yes. Yes I do.

But I also read a lot besides that and Visla does strike me as a stock subversion. The reasons for this are quoted above, bolded for emphasis, and don't really need explaining. And as I said, there are plenty of atrocious things in my own characters. I prefer to revel in them, and play is more fun as a result. Whether or not other people find it entertaining is second place.

And Task I love you. So much.

GP

Name
    Visla Layne Eraclaire
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Raw Umber Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    5'3" / 115 lbs

I'd be interested to receive links or book titles to the legions of other Visla-like characters out there so I can read them, Caden. Do PM or IM them to me. I look forward to it.
    Last edited by Visla Eraclaire; 06-03-10 at 08:01 AM.
    We talkin bout practice
    We talkin bout practice

EXP: 6,287, Level: 2
    Level completed: 33%, EXP required for next level: 2,713
    Level completed: 33%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,713
    GP

Name
    Ace Mandelo
    Race
    Hostis humani generis : You don't want to know.
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    Job
    Fighter/Champion/Your Mom's Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Caden Law View Post
    And also: Ignore anyone telling you to be original. Cliches become cliche because they work. Knave's own character looks like the knock-off spawn of a couple generations worth of Nyarlathotep worshippers from the Lovecraft Mythos with a few generic Signs of Villainy scattered in to give a moral perspective.
    Well, I am not gonna get defensive about my character. However, I do feel that that its wrong to say that anything could invalidate my opinion that when you don't know what to do, asking isn't always the best way to go.

As for the character, I toned him down and back. My first idea involved a seventeen year old using a combination of cross-dressing, marriage, alcohol, and poison followed by a legal battle over custody and estates to gain a great amount of lucre, which would have been his own superpower. The full story didn't sound kosher, so I scrapped it, and reused parts later. Just the same, I do feel its what you do with them. Do you have any comments on how I have been doing that?
    Last edited by Knave; 06-03-10 at 10:05 AM.
    Return the ill-verse to the anvil. ~ MEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Depending on who you place in the same situation, the characteristics of said incident change kaleidoscopically. In other words, there is one incident. However, there are as many stories explaining it as there are people involved in it.

— Gustav St. Germain

GP

Name
    Savas Tigh
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job

I'd be interested to receive links or book titles to the legions of other Visla-like characters out there so I can read them, Caden. Do PM or IM them to me. I look forward to it.
    ...see, I could go through a long spiel about how personally you seem to be taking criticism, and how it's more a commentary on how many times I've seen that particular character type in RPGs on the 'net and elsewhere over the years...

But I'd rather see if your head explodes when I don't.

Lighten up, dude. Otherwise I'll start giving you something to really feel butthurt about.

GP

Name
    Savas Tigh
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job

Quote Originally Posted by knaveofspades View Post
    Well, I am not gonna get defensive about my character. However, I do feel that that its wrong to say that anything could invalidate my opinion that when you don't know what to do, asking isn't always the best way to go.
    Kudos to you for having maturity about it. Nothing personal was intended and hopefully you can laugh it off. I mean, seriously. A guy whose character is a shellshocked, sexually dysfunctional knock-off of Doctor Who and Rincewind just made fun of you for one post. Why argue when you can simply sling the mud back with a laugh and a grin?

As for the character, I toned him down and back. My first idea involved a seventeen year old using a combination of cross-dressing, marriage, alcohol, and poison followed by a legal battle over custody and estates to gain a great amount of lucre, which would have been his own superpower. The full story didn't sound kosher, so I scrapped it, and reused parts later. Just the same, I do feel its what you do with them. Do you have any comments on how I have been doing that?
    ...part of me wishes you'd left it all in just for the absurdity of all that. Seriously. Cross-dressing, marriage, alcohol, poison, custody battles, money-based power...that is inventive. At least for a near-medieval setting featuring elves and dragons.

That said! Your character's actually pretty cool. I was just boiling it down sufficiently to make a point.

GP

Name
    Visla Layne Eraclaire
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Raw Umber Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    5'3" / 115 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Savas Tigh View Post
    ...see, I could go through a long spiel about how personally you seem to be taking criticism, and how it's more a commentary on how many times I've seen that particular character type in RPGs on the 'net and elsewhere over the years...

But I'd rather see if your head explodes when I don't.

Lighten up, dude. Otherwise I'll start giving you something to really feel butthurt about.
    Your passive aggression is really admirable. All while trying to act like you're above everything. You're a true artist, admirable as a troll, but not in danger of causing butthurt, at least not from me. I think you found the reaction you were looking to get, anger, rather than what I have given you, curiosity.

Trust me, Caden, you haven't hurt my feelings. I'm genuinely curious as to where you see all these characters, since I don't read things. I haven't read a work of fiction to completion since grade school and I virtually never read a thread on Althanas outside of my brief spurts of judging. If there are so many, any even, I'd like to see how they're doing things and whether there's anything adaptable, since I'm running into a wall with my own character.

I suspect the characters are only facially similar (female anti-hero spellcaster), because I don't think you know all that much about my character (especially with 90% of her backstory no longer on the site), but I'd be really happy to be mistaken. Even if you think the character is formulaic, the fact that you understand her at all would make you one of very few on the site, and a valuable resource.

Also: Elves. Very topical.
    Last edited by Visla Eraclaire; 06-03-10 at 01:39 PM.
    We talkin bout practice
    We talkin bout practice

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast