Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    It's certainly not a huge problem, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make positive changes. I mean, god, it'd be so pathetically easy to fix. (I wouldn't suggest removing the Post-Count modifier, but just making it standard procedure to adjust that number based on post length). EXP will always be a large concern because the majority of members can't tell the stories they want at low levels. I mean sure, by this stage I EXP is only a minor concern for me personally, because I'm a high enough level to tell basically any story I want. That might change if I made a new character, though.
    But isn't that a part of the Althanas experience? Hasn't that always been a part of the Althanas experience, not counting the IW days? There are other places where you can do whatever story you want and have whatever character you want from the get go. On Althanas you start from the bottom and work your way up. And while EXP is not a concern to me anymore either, it hasn't really ever been a concern to me. I started a number of characters after Letho and got a good number of levels on them, starting from the bottom every single time, and I was seldom worried about the EXP points accumulated on that account. I'd say that maybe it's just me, but I'm scarcely the only person who had done that.
    "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming

Hand of Virtue
    EXP: 87,799, Level: 12
    Level completed: 84%, EXP required for next level: 2,201
    Level completed: 84%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,201
    GP

Name
    Artemis Eburi
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown and Gray
    Eye Color
    Piercing Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Smith

in the grand scheme, the experience different between the current system and the proposed alternatives isnt that extreme. the only reason i brought it up was because i wasnt sure about the discretion system of giving people more credit for long posts or not.
    2011 Althy Winner - Most Realistic Character
    2016 Althy Winner - Best Contributor & Player of the Year (tie)

Artemis Eburi Wiki Page
    Current Character Profile

Solo Quests:
    Hidden Beneath The Canopy (75)
    Lost Loot of Lornius (74)

Screw You, Andy.
    EXP: 233,561, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next level: 0
    GP

Name
    Sei Orlouge
    Race
    Mystic
    Hair Color
    Orange
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'11'', 172 lbs
    Job
    Protector of Radasanth.

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by SirArtemis View Post
    I suppose my only frustration stems from wanting to be able to write more "out there" stories, and until I'm higher level, my weapons, armor, and abilities are for the most part limited to a normal human being. I mean, that's not the worst thing in the world, don't get me wrong. I just have read so many stories about incredible characters, that I feel like my character is just another person. More experience would allow me to grow my character faster so that my stories could become more eccentric, especially with respect to fighting.

Isn't this kind of the point to making a character? Almost everyone starts out a no-name. You earn the incredible stories through -writing- incredible stories. Thor didn't have Godly Ice abilities when he was a general for Alerar. Sei only had 3 abilities until level 5, and didn't even get half of his arsenal until level 5 as well.

Not to be mean or anything, but didn't we create these characters to -make- them rise from the ashes of obscurity into things of greatness? I'm just sayin, is all.
    2011 Althy winner for Best Comeback, Most Helpful Moderator, and Best IC Odd Couple (With Enigmatic Immortal). 2012 Althie Winner for Mr. Althanas, and best Bromance (also, with Enigmatic Immortal). 2014 Althy Winner Best Battler for Forrals Fortress.

Gisela Open Winner (First Year), Lornius Cooperate Championship 3rd Place Winner (1/2 of 'Don't Blinke!', 2nd year).

(21:41:22) Sulla: If you kill god, Nihilism fills the void, you need the ubermensch to take the place of god. Sei is the ubermensch.

Non Timebo Mala
    EXP: 126,303, Level: 15
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 8,697
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,697
    GP

Name
    Letho Ravenheart
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

The main concern that always rises up from this (and I'm going to jump ahead and intercept it before someone brings it up) is that there are people who don't want to follow the rising-from-the-ashes story. And I understand that to an extent. However, we're not forcing people to play utter weaklings and fifteen years old lads still looking for their place in the world. I'm not going that particular road again because that's a can of worms I have no desire to reopen, but suffice to say you can still write great stuff with level zero characters. All it takes is a bit ingenuity.

Loremaster
    EXP: 72,114, Level: 11
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 4,886
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,886
    GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    6' / 175 pounds
    Job
    Former chef, aimless wanderer, Pagoda Master, and self-professed Salvic Rebel Leader ™.

Quote Originally Posted by Letho View Post
    But isn't that a part of the Althanas experience? Hasn't that always been a part of the Althanas experience, not counting the IW days? There are other places where you can do whatever story you want and have whatever character you want from the get go. On Althanas you start from the bottom and work your way up. And while EXP is not a concern to me anymore either, it hasn't really ever been a concern to me. I started a number of characters after Letho and got a good number of levels on them, starting from the bottom every single time, and I was seldom worried about the EXP points accumulated on that account. I'd say that maybe it's just me, but I'm scarcely the only person who had done that.
    Letho saying "It's the way we've always done it, therefore it must obviously be the best way"? I'm shocked. Furthermore, you're edging toward Strawman territory, because nobody is suggesting the abolition of the EXP system. I too like the "build your way up" aspect of Althanas, though I'm also far more into dark, low fantasy than high fantasy, so the low levels don't bother me as much as others. That said, there's a difference between encouraging players to work their way up the ranks and encouraging tedium. I wrote some fun stories in the lower levels, but many of them felt like EXP runs, because after a fair number of quests, I'd basically done everything that I wanted to with that power range, and my character was still too weak to move on to the new stuff I wanted to do.

All that isn't even the issue here, and I agree with Letho that it's been argued a lot before and need not eat up this thread. I'm merely pointing out that if characters get to advance a little bit faster due to a change in the EXP formula, it would not in any conceivably sane way be a terrible thing. ((But while we're on this subject, I recall the staff announcing that the Registration system had been changed, but has it actually been updated in the appropriate threads, where new members can find the updated guidelines?))

And I will make the observation that even us high level folk, who claim (and honestly, I believe) not to care a whole lot about EXP, still pay it enough notice to argue about it. =p

Anyway, regarding the thread's actual topic, I will again point out that the solution is immensely simple. Just post some fancy announcement in the mod forum at least -encouraging- judges to use the sacred Discretion in adjusting EXP based on post length, and perhaps include my earlier proposed method for doing so with minimal effort. Then, fiddle with the formula a little bit so that the post count variable is a little higher, and thus the difference in per-post value won't shift quite so much. This could be accomplished in a matter of minutes, would hurt absolutely nothing, and it would make the entire EXP system more even-handed and fair.

EXP: 17,010, Level: 5
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next level: 2,990
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,990
    GP

Name
    Atzar Kellon
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Long Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'1" 180 lbs.
    Job
    Mage

ITT: Christoph and TB somehow find a way to argue when they actually agree; Duffy begins the trend of one-word posts with no substance; and horses can be beaten into nonexistence.

Quote Originally Posted by SirArtemis View Post
    You have no idea how depressing reading this is. It is almost an exact replica of the real world, where we need an incredibly devastating event to occur simply to use it as a catalyst to build momentum for change. Is it so wrong to make change before there is a huge problem? And the solution I now propose is easy to implement, is well defined, and I think everyone would prefer this method.

Then again, I admit that I'm new, but that should be valuable in allowing me a different perspective on a system that I haven't become so accustomed to that I'm immune to its potential flaws.
    In general, it is fairly difficult to enact change here. It typically requires a unanimous vote to happen. Even when there's a majority vote, we tend to argue the point back and forth - ten people against one or two - until everybody gets tired of arguing and the topic dies with no real resolution. It doesn't make any sense, but it does happen. I agree with you that this shouldn't be the case. At the expense of the feelings of the minority, I think we need to force action more often than we do - hurt feelings don't last forever.

Having said that, I believe that the system should be left the way it is. I think post count should have a modifier, because a 20-post quest should gain more than a 10-post quest, all other variables equal. As has been stated, it reflects more effort and time put into the thread. I feel like tweaking the existing formula to give more or less EXP for length would essentially be replacing one arbitrary number with another - we don't know if the current equation is best, and we won't know if a slightly modified equation is better.

As an aside, Sir Artemis, know that your input here is appreciated and will continue to be appreciated whenever you give it. Thanks for starting this thread.

Non Timebo Mala
    EXP: 126,303, Level: 15
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 8,697
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,697
    GP

Name
    Letho Ravenheart
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    Letho saying "It's the way we've always done it, therefore it must obviously be the best way"? I'm shocked.
    Well, I'd hate to be inconsistent.
    And I will make the observation that even us high level folk, who claim (and honestly, I believe) not to care a whole lot about EXP, still pay it enough notice to argue about it. =p
    We wouldn't want to rob the noobs of all the good times we had at low-low levels.
    Anyway, regarding the thread's actual topic, I will again point out that the solution is immensely simple. Just post some fancy announcement in the mod forum at least -encouraging- judges to use the sacred Discretion in adjusting EXP based on post length, and perhaps include my earlier proposed method for doing so with minimal effort. Then, fiddle with the formula a little bit so that the post count variable is a little higher, and thus the difference in per-post value won't shift quite so much. This could be accomplished in a matter of minutes, would hurt absolutely nothing, and it would make the entire EXP system more even-handed and fair.
    There is actually a note written in bold letters in the official thread regarding judging in the mods forum stating that judges should use the formula as a mere guideline and use their discretion to adjust it if they deem it necessary. As for fiddling around with formula, I'm with Atzar that we shouldn't be messing with it. OMG, another shocker, I know.

EXP: 24,798, Level: 6
    Level completed: 69%, EXP required for next level: 2,202
    Level completed: 69%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,202
    GP

Name
    Taka
    Race
    Akashiman (Human)
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Job
    Samurai (Ronin)

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Atzar Kellon View Post
    ITT: Christoph and TB somehow find a way to argue when they actually agree; Duffy begins the trend of one-word posts with no substance; and horses can be beaten into nonexistence.
    Whoa whoa whoa there buddy! I only posted once, that can hardly be considered an argument. If I had posted calling Christoph a dirty monkey cheaty face, that's another matter entirely. I merely was stating that changes to the post count were minimal. Alright, so my estimate was off by maybe a hundred XP, but that STILL is considerably smaller even once you hit level 1 and are reaching the big leagues. (which ironically begins about level 3-4 and continues till you have more experience than god...) I mean, do we even have an Epic Character quest board or something?
    How something is said, is just as important as what is said. -Anonymous

EXP: 17,010, Level: 5
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next level: 2,990
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,990
    GP

Name
    Atzar Kellon
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Long Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'1" 180 lbs.
    Job
    Mage

My point was that your viewpoints weren't necessarily that much different, yet he still managed to crank out a three-point rebuttal. It amused me.

EXP: 107,947, Level: 14
    Level completed: 27%, EXP required for next level: 11,053
    Level completed: 27%,
    EXP required for next level: 11,053
    GP

Name
    Rayse Valentino
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    5'10 / Athletic
    Job
    Independent Contractor and Arms Dealer

I haven't read any of this thread but, a little tweaking is all you need. Put more into the multiplier from score and level, put less into the one from post count. That way, a 30-post quest of similar score and levels would still receive more exp, but not a substantially large amount more, and the lower-post count quest would receive more exp as well, but being a bad, short quest now is much more detrimental to exp than being a bad, long quest, effort-wise.

Whether or not something is interesting should always take precedence over how long it is.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast