Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'7/ 135
    Job
    Servant

The next few weeks saw Paul sitting on a bench, looking to his unit of barbarians and wondering what exactly it was they were missing. Through brawls, fist fights, and even a few death threats he managed to temper their warrior souls enough to obey his orders the first time he bellowed them, but the defiance in their actions was still prevalent. No matter how hard they tried there was still something that could not resonate within the group and so he began to spend his training time with them watching.

The line officer felt a measure of comfort however in knowing at least he made progress. He had learned the Elliot Hawk’s unit of House Knights had blatantly refused orders during a training exercise when the man had attempted to rally them right into a trap. Charging forward all by himself the officer was quickly surrounded by Jake Falcon’s guard. Viola, who happened to be watching the scene, merely shook her head as Jonothan Andrews attempted to give the upstart commander a little advice.

It was a month before the Anniversary Ball was to take to place, and Paul still found himself dumbfounded as to who he would ask out on a date. Rachel had offered her opinions on a few prospects, but most of the woman she pointed out had, in a rather shallow fashion, denied him for leading the berserkers. A little depressed to be quickly shot down, annoyed to be at a rut with his unit, and stressed that he was having trouble finding a date eventually caused his mind to begin over processing. He could not decide if he wanted to be angry, melancholy, or just agitated.

Leaning backwards and pushing with his feet so the entire bench collapsed with his weight he looked up through the hole in the roof at the skylight, sighing in frustration as he let out a deep breath. His berserker’s had stopped working to eye him, before a pair of boots began stalking to him with a steady, thunderous gait. There was a bark of orders, before the team returned to fixing up their home as Donovan closed his eyes.

“Sir,” The gruff voice of Veronica Helsmier said to him. “You are uh…pissing the others off,”

“So?” Paul replied with a shrug. “They were all late to assembly today by four minutes. So I’m taking my four minute break.”

“With all do respect, sir,” Veronica kicked the bench out from his knees, the wood scraping the floor as his feet hit the floorboards with a large thud and a crack of wood snapping. “You’ve been on break all day. I’m all for observation and delegation, but you’ve not done a thing to pitch in here.”

“Veronica, do you speak for yourself or the entire unit?” Paul asked. There was a pause before she glanced to the room and then back to him.

“I personally spoke for myself, but I think I harbor the intentions of the entire unit. Get off your ass and do something,” She ordered. Paul opened one eye and looked to her with a knowing grimace.

“See, that’s the problem,” Paul took a deep breath and sat up, dragging his legs in to a seating position. “You thought for yourself. Though your opinion undoubtedly matches everyone else’s, you still performed the act for yourself. Just like the way we all fight. We’ll stand shoulder to shoulder, but we fight our own personal battles. Nobody covering another, no one giving a damn if the person at their side could benefit from their aid.”

“I…” Veronica paused a moment, before she sat down in front of Paul and eyed him carefully. “I don’t get it. We’re berserkers. We live for the thrill of battle, the chance to shed blood. We are unlike other facets of the army, our skills do not compliment anything but when applied with the right pressure, we’ll perform just fine.”

“And that’s all good and dandy,” Paul replied back quickly. “But we can’t keep running right at the enemy forever. We need to be able to coordinate and function as a team. We need to be able to move swiftly like the house knights, but be as uncompromising as the guard!”

“Sir,” A rough voice spoke with a bit of edge to the tone. Paul turned his head to look at Frank Saigen, seeing his eyes casting a dark look as he held two long wooden pieces of lumbar on his shoulder. Paul nodded for him to speak his mind. “No offense to the Guard, or the House Knights, but we aren’t pretty little guardsman of David King nor indecisive ninnies of Jonothan Andrews.”

“Frank, I get your point, but remind yourself when speaking in the future you are ill speaking two of the best strategists in Emprea. Those pretty little guardsman in their pristine uniforms and perfect hair have no qualms getting bloody and dirty to make people like us bounce off them like a rubber ball against a wall. And those indecisive with their inability to make up their mind have no problem leading us by the nose to wherever they want.”

“Yet you expect us to act like them. It’s…” Frank looked angry as he tried to find the words to say, but Paul merely stood up and motioned for the man to drop his burden. With a thunk the wood fell as Paul whistled to gather up his unit. Paul looked to Frank and made a motion for him to speak again.

“You talk about the House Knights and the Guard like that is what we should be, but we are not them! We are Emprea’s berserkers! We do not have grace, nor do we have finesse! We are butcher’s through and through. In battle, there is none in all of Emprea who could deal as much damage as a single one of us can do!”

The room began to nod their agreement as Veronica looked to Paul with a guilty grimace, her own head softly nodding to the words of Frank. Paul merely kept his control as he pointed to each one of them slowly.

“I do not doubt I have the best brawlers in all of Emprea!” He spoke proudly. “But unless we are in a bar room with the enemy, well, let me perfectly honest with all of you,” Paul looked to each one before he sighed in agitation. “Guys, we stink out loud. If we bring the enemy to combat, we pretty much win, but if they use even a measure of tactics against us, we begin to show our weaknesses. In our skirmishes you guys beat the Line soldiers in a straight up battle, but when they flanked us, we were trashed. When they retreated and we pursued, they turned and let us bounce of their shields as the archers shot us to pieces. When they dug in to a hill top we couldn’t oust them! When we were ordered to hold a position we left it defenseless in five seconds to chase out fleeing soldiers.”

“That is the job of other warriors!” Someone shouted from the back. Paul growled lowly as he looked to his soldiers.

“You cannot expect the army to employ us in situations that we cannot be considered favored for. They do not assign the Guard to storm a fortress, and they do not ask the archers to drop their bows and lift up swords. We should not be assigned to do anything but break the enemy upon the edge of our steel.” There was a chorus of cheers as Frank spoke sourly, and Paul shook his head in irritation as he growled a little louder.

“I do not buy that excuse!” Paul roared making the room flinch. “We are soldiers of Emprea, and while we do battle in the most brutal extent, we have more than one use for our power! I refuse, no, I DENY that we are meant to do one thing only!” The room shrugged as Veronica looked to Paul and offered him a pat on the shoulder.

“Deny us all you want, but until you accept what we are, this unit will never go in the direction you want.” There was the loud sound in the distance of the bell tower chiming that the hour had turned to seven, and the warriors began to disperse quickly to their next assigned stations. Paul grunted his dismissal of the unit under his breath as he looked out the door and saw one tiny body, fearfully looking inside the room as bodies passed by her with irritation and anger as they barked to her on their way out.

Noel Spero chirped in surprise as she jumped away, and Paul sighed as he usually did when he saw Noel in action. He had forgot the Spero’s had invited the Line officer over for dinner, and he turned grabbing his bag as he watched the last of the room leave. When he was at the door he found the emerald green eyes of the little girl looking to him, and with a gruff greeting he walked forwards.

“Hey Noel,” Paul muttered.

“Um, Hi, Paul,” She replied. “You okay?” She asked innocently. Paul looked to the backs of his unit as they all left, silently debating on if killing them all would allow him another squad that was a bit more competent. He shook his head looking back to Noel and he shrugged.

“Berserkers will be berserkers. Single minded and stubborn. I’ll break them eventually,” Donovan yawned as he slowed his gait to allow the girl to catch up.

“More like a bunch of idiots if you ask me,” Noel sneered. “Barking like lunatics and running around being jackasses! Did you know one of them made a comment about my breasts! All in all it was just another day in my sorta crappy life. You?”

“Yep, not much different, except they didn’t make fun of my breasts.” Noel sighed with Paul as they both walked. “So what’s for dinner.”

“I had only twenty minutes to cook so I tossed some pasta in a boiler and diced up tomatoes to make a quick sauce. Though in all honesty I don’t think I have enough cilantro to make it pop the way I want to.”

Paul laughed as he figured, like always, Noel‘s food would be just fine. A barbarian came running back around the side wall, chasing after a line soldier who giggled wildly as she ran, her assests bouncing in a way that was like a cruel joke to the flat chested woman. Noel sheepishly remained quiet before she muttered under her breath. Paul leaned in closer to her as the girl looked to him stupidly. They were nearly nose to nose and her feet began to awkwardly shuffle.

“Uh…” She left her mouth gaping open in a stupor as she felt a wee bit intimidated to have Paul Donovan bearing down upon her.

“What did you say?” He asked, his tone low and full of curiosity and a slight menace. His eyes flashed to hers, a hungry thirst for knowledge that only Noel Spero had and she wished she could shrink away. He lowered his backpack to his side, looking to her as he lifted one hand to her shoulder shaking her gently. “What did you say?”

“I don‘t have enough Cilantro, I‘m sorry, I really am!” She squeaked out. “It’s not like I knew you liked it, which until this terrifying moment I didn’t, but now that I see you do I’m a little concerned. I mean how many people get this violent about Cilantro! I think you should get professional help and stop hurting me!”

“No, what you muttered just a second ago,” Paul insisted interrupting her long winded rant. Noel squirmed and he realized he was squishing her arm like a grape. He apologized quickly, but still looked to her waiting. Noel rubbed her sore arm as she gave him a nervous, if not slightly annoyed glance.

“I said stupid wolves…” She made her response sound like a question. Paul looked to her, and then up to the sky. Though the sun was still up, it was getting ready to set as it cast a dark glow of a tinting orange nature. Night was approaching and he felt a sudden idea rush over him.

“Noel Spero, no matter what anyone says, you are brilliant, beautiful, freaking genius!” Paul leaned forwards and kissed her on the forehead, turning swiftly as he lifted his bag in one hand and bounded away in large leaps. Noel lifted a hand to her head in silent awe, before she furiously began to rub the spot.

“Ewww,” She moped. “Why couldn’t it have been David King…”

EXP: 1,357, Level: 1
    Level completed: 68%, EXP required for next level: 643
    Level completed: 68%,
    EXP required for next level: 643
    GP

Name
    Viola Conda
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'7/ 135
    Job
    Servant

Paul stood outside in the moonlight, dressed in his full platemail as his ceremonial cape fluttered in the breeze. It had taken him six hours to prepare, and he had to find several commanders and split deals with each of them for what he was going to do on this night.*

He had guessed it was midnight, by the silence in the castle, only the night creatures making noise. The wind was fair, blowing gently to add a nip of coldness, but nothing that could not be ignored.*

Through the dark his unit slowly showed up, in small packs of five or six at a time, until within ten minutes everyone had arrived. Nobody spoke save for hushed whispers as their commander looked up at the moon, then slowly he turned to them, a smile upon his face.*

"Thanks for coming guys, I appreciate it. Tonight we will be training until sunrise, so get ready for intense physical work."

"No offense sir, but some of us have duties in the morning." Frank, as always the nay-sayer, spoke first with his usual offending tone, despite himself saying he meant none.*

"I have a treat for you all," Paul replied. "I owe a few favors, but I managed to arrange for you all to have morning duties off. You all do not need to report to your stations until Fourteen hundred hours." There was a pulse of excitement as the warriors cast each other grins. "You owe the Hero's of Emprea a huge thank you. They arranged for their soldiers to take your responsibilities, and some of them even volunteered to take some of your duties."*

"Why?" Veronica spoke, confusion passing between each berserker. Paul shrugged.*

"They have faith in me." He began to pace before them, looking to each with an appraising eye. "As I have faith in you. Tonight is about revelations, a sorta spiritual death and birth. Mark my words, the berserkers of Emprea will be respected. And they will respect us for more than just fear."*

Paul turned and led his unit forwards, and with curiosity they followed. He led them to the edge of the castle grounds near the forest and he halted them there.*

"I have denied you guys as berserkers, because in my own pride I wanted to form a unit that could be seen with respect. I thought you all barbarians, uncivilized ingrates who could do nothing more than charge forwards and slam yourself into the foes. This was a truth that I did not want to accept. This is my failing." The soldiers all looked to him, and for the first time he could feel they were truly listening to him. He continued onwards, his tone respectful.*

"I can no longer deny what you are. You are blood thirsty, vicious, and relentless. You cannot be stayed with words nor actions. You stubbornly stick to your ideals, and you are unbreakable. It was foolish of me to try." Paul then stood upwards to them, his back rigid as he bowed to them in a military fashion, looking to them all as he spoke in strict military precision. "I recognize my failings, and I'll strive to correct them. In the meantime accept my apology until I have re-earned your respect."*

The unit shifted uncomfortably, but one stood forwards offering her hand. Paul looked to Veronica and smiled as he shook it. Shortly a few others stepped forwards before the whole unit had accepted their commander's apology. After the moment had passed Paul clapped his hands turning to the forest again.*

"I have decided how I am going to shape you. Everyone has learned that the bears is the biggest creature in the forest. They are rugged, savage," He saw a few of his soldiers start nodding. "Lazy." They began to laugh. "Yet for all their brutality, all their rampages, there is still a creature that is more terrifying, more barbaric, and more of a menace than even the bear can handle." The unit seemed enraptured with his words and he paused for dramatic effect. It would be what David King wanted, he mused.*

"One solitary creature, the wolf." Paul looked to each of his warriors as he pointed to them. "Each of you are a lone wolf, a wild, untamed creature that has all the savagery of the woodlands. Alone you are frightening, but what is more terrifying is the pack of wolves. A single mind orchestrating several bodies, a group mentality of covering the other while chasing the prey. A lone wolf cannot hope to capture a deer in flight, but a pack can corral the beast to a corner, where their jaws can feast! They are stubborn, and will defend their territory with a fury unmatched."*

"So like the house knights and the guard," Frank sassed, a few mutters joining him. "You try to be clever, but in fact you're still trying to make us something we are not."*

"On the contrary!" The line officer said rapidly, enthusiasm in his voice. "I assure you the guard would never want to be called a bunch of wolves. Nor the house knights. You see as much as you think these qualities of the wolves are similar to the other facets of the army, their is one key difference that we will expand upon," Paul looked to Frank in a telling manner, a grin upon his face as he let the thought pickle in their brains.*

"We'll do it in the way we want to do it." Frank grinned catching the idea. Paul nodded.*

"I won't change the way you act, I will change the way you imply it. On the field of battle you will all learn to run as a pack, we will become terror incarnate, the reaper's heralds. There will not be an enemy that will escape us, a defense we cannot crush, an attack we cannot stave off through pure brute strength and a little cunning!" The soldiers nodded as he spoke, getting wrapped up in his excitement and feeling it as well. Even the nay sayer Frank seemed convinced in this new form they were hearing about, Veronica patting her twin axes on her hip in anticipation. Paul turned his face to a more serious one, speaking solemnly as he lifted his gaze to the whipping flag of their nation.*

"Wolves are also noble creatures when tamed. Though I have every intent to make this unit as fearsome a foe as I can, I will enforce you all to act like proper soldiers. When we are not in the field of battle, I expect each of you to address rank with respect, to speak no ill of your brethren, to uphold the duties you are asked without complaint. We will hold ourselves to a higher standard, that way when they see us they will not fear us in our own home. We will be a grand example of discipline in the halls, but a shining example of brute strength in the field."*

The newly named warriors looked to their commander with hungry eyes and Paul nodded in certainty. "Three months left, my wolves, until the war games. That will be when all of Emprea will see our courage, and know our names well. They will never doubt us as true warriors again..."*

A sound pierced the night, a chord that made the berserkers pause as Paul swiftly turned his head to the forest. A lone howling to the moon from a solitary wolf pierced the calm of the night, followed shortly by a chorus of other howls.*

"It seems our cousins have found prey, let us urge them on in their hunt!" Veronica shouted excitedly. It took a moment for everyone to find the courage, but with an approving nod Paul arched his back and joined the wolves in howling into the night.

GP

Name
    Viola Conda
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'7/ 135
    Job
    Servant

Viola sighed, the same sigh she reserved for when someone was not learning. Jake Falcon had wrote an essay on the history of Emprea and wrote such wrong facts it was borderline heresy. She circled the mistakes, wrote a few helpful tips and correct answers, and then shuffled the papers away. She got up from her desk and headed out into the main hall where she found her students talking in excited whispers.*

Viola passed by each one and when she found Natalie and Elliot talking she approached both and leaned forwards. What Viola saw was a sight that made her pause before she spoke.*

"What is going on," She asked in her military tone, causing both soldiers to turn and salute her before Natalie began to speak in a rushed fashion.*

"One of the soldiers of Paul's unit was speaking to a woman, when Advisor Renald approached him and said that barbarian trash shouldn't be talking to the civilized folk. The guy threatened to deck Renald and now the two are in a heated argument about regulations and conduct."*

Viola rubbed her nose in irritation, as she did not wish to deal with this sort of thing. If she had to discipline one of Paul's soldiers than she would have to discipline him as well, followed by a report of the incident, and yet another strike against the already dwindling reputation of Donovan. With a sigh she gestured for the two to follow her when she felt something brush up against her side, pushing her out of the way as the bulky man rushed to the scene. At his heels were two other soldier's and each one wore a small pelt of fur over their left shoulder where their house markings would be.*

Tradition in Emprea dictated that each soldier place their house marking on their left shoulder so passing commanding officers could dictate what commander the soldier belonged to. During the training courses each aspiring captain was given a color to mark who they belonged to. Falcon was red, Hawk was white, Donovan was purple. Each member of their assigned unit had to wear those colors so disciplinary or exemplary behavior could be properly handled.*

She held Natalie and Elliot back, watching as the three moved swiftly to the ground floor where the scene took place. The two flanking the bulky warrior as they strode forwards and slid next to the offending warrior as he turned to them and began shouting about Renald and what he did. The leader waved to Renald and approached him, offering a quick salute before asking what was going on. He was careful with his words, never accusing Renald and never incriminating the soldier. It was a perfect example of how to handle the situation, and she was mortified to see that the one acting the calmest was none other than Paul Donovan. The man looked different somehow, like he had an air of pride to his nature. He wore a pelt as well, the purple sash he was supposed to be wearing gone. He kept speaking to Renald in a calm tone, and each time he looked to his troublesome warrior he gave the man a dark look.*

"Frank!" Paul bellowed. "You were accused of yelling at a superior officer, is this true?"*

"Sir! He was insulting me and the wolves! I will not stand by and be made a mockery of! This is what we were training to avoid!" Paul stepped forward and Viola was positive the man was going to strike his soldier. When she was about to speak she heard a loud growl escaping Paul's lips, mirrored by his two companions. It was an animal like growl, one that had menace and a stern warning as Frank seemed to shy away like a cowed dog. There was a moment of silence before Frank stood up tall, saluted Renald and spoke in a reserved, formal tone.*

"I recognize my failings and will correct them, Advisor Renald. Please accept my apology until I have re-earned your respect." Frank bowed to Renald and the entire hallway behind Viola gasped. She would have punished them for eavesdropping, but her own jaw was dropped in shock at what she saw. The berserker's in Paul's squad were there for this exact reason, no respect for superior officers, and now the man was apologizing!*

Renald kept his nose wrinkled in disgust, though he too was clearly caught off guard. He looked to the soldier, before another player entered the arena. He had long flowing red hair, eyes a sickly colored green, wearing noble robes with a satchel filled with Emprean dossiers and packets.*

"My lord, if I may?" The man spoke. Paul's eyes narrowed on this newcomer with hostility and Viola knew exactly why. He was Fulgrim, Renald's personal advisor and the teacher who flunked Donovan. The snake of a man whipped his long hair out of his face, offering the fakest of smiles.*

"This trash is merely trying to escape punishment, he is masking his crimes by pretending to be sorry in the hopes you'll forget he insulted you." Now the three warriors growled to Fulgrim, and Viola felt her own choler rise. The man lifted his arms to the side in submission, but his sick smile never faltered.*

"He is right!" Renald spoke, the way he did so making the idea seem like it was his all along. "You will not escape punishment! *How do your propose to have him make up for this, Captain Donovan?"*

There was a tension building in the air, Viola could feel it like she could feet the stone wall she touched. Her blue eyes searched her Captain's, seeing if he would blow up and revert to what she had heard he was capable of doing. Yet Paul kept his temper in check as he turned to Frank and spoke in a harsh tone.*

"You have trouble respecting authority, and I will no longer tolerate such things. Frank Seigan, you are hereby relieved of tomorrows day off. Instead you will serve the kitchens. To, familiarize, yourself with the command staff and learn to respect them, all officer's of Emprea are to be given their meals by you. You will personally wait upon each one in a timely manner until the kitchen's close."*

Frank's eyes lit up with protest, but two threatening growls from his teammates caused him to only nod. Paul then turned to Renald and saluted him. Fulgrim coughed, loudly, and Paul turned swiftly offering him a salute before stalking away, his three wolves in tow.*

Viola turned to the stunned students, and she let out a little cough of her own. Like scurrying mice they ran in different directions, before with a satisfied smile she looked back to where Paul was and stood watching him. She was rather proud of the way he handled that situation and as he spoke to his wolves he seemed to stop before turning his head upwards to see Viola. Sheepishly she waved her fingers, like a simpleton, before ushering him off. He grinned widely to her before barking orders as they all moved down the walkways.*

Natalie jabbed three fingers into Viola's side making the woman jump and shriek as she turned, her face ablaze with anger as Natalie gave her an inquisitive eye. She lifted an accusing finger as she spoke, her voice filled with mischief.*

"Oh ho!" Natalie began. "Did I just see the prudish Viola Conda blush and make eyes with the not so charming but at least cute in that I like to smash things sorta way, Paul Donovan?" *

"I was merely waving hello," Viola chastised her. Natalie leapt on the attack.*

"Waving while gawking at him for a full minute! I think you like him!" She accused her commanding officer making Viola blush more. "Just admit it, would you? There's nothing wrong with crushing for a lower rank," Natalie said off-handedly. "I mean, Jonothan Andrews and Rachel Leona is one example; and I'm even dating below my rank with David King, so it's totally cool to crush on Paul. In fact it's kinda cute."*

"Captain Natalie Aurora Boros!" Viola all but shrieked. "Knock it off, that's an order." Natalie sighed as she nodded and muttered her apologies. Viola nodded now that the matter is over.*

"Thank you," Viola muttered. "And also, you have your facts wrong, as usual," Viola smirked as she watched Natalie give her a confused look. "Do you think David King would date a superiorly ranked officer?" Natalie gave her a concerned look.*

"He's not..." She said carefully.*

"Don't worry Captain Boros, I won't think any less of you," Viola joked. Natalie chased after her as she began speaking frantically.*

"But he can't be! I'm the highest ranking Captain in the army! I'm your secretary! I'm in charge of Emprea's paperwork dammit! I'm the Captain of Administration!" *

"If lying will help you sleep," Viola said with a flattering smile.*

"Commander!" Natalie shrieked as Viola laughed. "Come on, you are lying right?"*

GP

Name
    Viola Conda
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'7/ 135
    Job
    Servant

Viola was at her desk in the office late that night. She was finishing grading the last of the papers before heading to bed. With the winter ball only a few weeks away she began to pout as the list of hopefuls got steadily shorter and shorter. General Corbin was a no go, Senior Captain Magnus had a date with his wife which made the counselor feel foolish, and the King had sent word to her that he was growing concerned she had yet to find a date. There was nobody left in the sea of potential candidates that she wanted to spend any length of time for, and that sea included Fulgrim and Renald. Sighing again she stacked the finished papers and looked to the last one with a bemused smile. She was saving this one for last, a little treat, to make her feel better.

"Well I see this time Captain you managed to spell your name correctly," Viola spoke to herself as she giggled, circling the name and putting a silly smiley face. She read the first question and the answer and nodded to herself with content moving to the next.

"When on the field of battle it is always necessary to blank, and according to the train of thought of you, Captain, that is to make sure the enemy is defeated. I guess points for trying, though wrong." She placed a check next to the answer and wrote the words, keep communication, next to the spot.

She unconsciously stroked her finger up and down the length of the page as she graded it, her eyes casting a fond look as she felt the stress of the day melt away. As usual, the practicality in leadership of Paul Donovan has made leaps and bounds, but the paperwork, history, and officer conduct still lacked the social graces. Still, he had almost two months left.

A dark nagging thought crossed her mind and she lowered the paper looking up in concern. She thought for a brief second of what she was doing as she looked at the paper in her hands and she saw the smiley faces, the small notes, all the unnecessary and highly improper conduct. Was Natalie right? Was she actually growing feelings for the barbarian hero of Emprea? She shook her head. Paul was a friend, no more so than any other hero of Emprea. Even if she did draw a doodle of Paul in her off time...

She returned to the paper and read the next question, her lips twisting as she fought not to start up a fit of laughter. According to the Codex Donovan, you take an abusive superior officer to the shed and beat him with a whipping stick. She fought the image of Paul chucking the body of Fulgrim into a shed, cracking his knuckles before going to town.

There was the rustling of something outside her door, and she lifted her head upwards to see a bulky shadow through the window, a small entourage of people walking by and waving off the man who entered the room.

She smiled seeing the Line Officer approach her desk, a smug, tired look on his face as he sat before her. He smelled of food, to many different odors to really discern one and she could tell he was in the kitchen all day. He took in a deep breath before leaning forwards and smiling brightly in the candlelight.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?" Viola asked.

"Saw the light on, figured I'd pop in." Paul shrugged. "And well," Viola thought she actually saw Paul blush. "It's rather late and I thought I would Uh, escort you home." Viola looked to him, a sideways look to mask her own blushing as she nodded putting the paperwork away. She stacked his exam on top and he peeked to it with wide curious eyes like a small child.

"Oh, how'd I do! David and I spent three nights learning this stuff!" Viola cringed before she let out a soft smile.

"Well," She let the word linger and Paul let out a soft laugh. "You're doing just fine. Improvements can be made, and in large quantities, but at least you seem to be making good your promise. Nevertheless, you really need to study up on Officer conduct. While I do enjoy your brand of humor, the answers have yet to show improvement. I'm growing concerned that you're thinking I'll let you go based off your charm. Think again. Now, you may escort me home. It'll be a long walk."

"I'm just not getting all the social mumbo jumbo we have to adhere to. In a practical sense it would just be easier to do things my way." He replied, a soft whine in his tone like he had been shouting those words over and over and was getting tired of it. "But I'll make it work. I expect my soldiers to obey, gotta put in my time as well..." Viola nodded to him, smiling as *she lifted her satchel and watched Donovan snuff out the candle. "And I don't mind the walk."

They headed into the hallway side by side, Viola feeling the cold that did not seem to bother her captain. She shivered as a breeze passed her and before she could say a word the Line Officer dumped his coat on her shoulders.

"Thank you," She whispered to him, pulling in the corners to wrap herself tightly. She lifted a finger and brushed his pelt where his house banner should be. "What is with the fur?"

"It's fake fur, couldn't and wouldn't pay for real wolf skin. I had an epiphany the other night, about a week ago," Paul said thoughtfully. "My unit, they could not be like other facets of the army. They are wild creatures, and placing them in situations that did not fit their style made them hostile. It was not unlike myself when forced to behave," Paul joked. Viola let a smile creep on her face, despite her duty warring with her not to. She was already close to being accused of frantenizing with Donovan.

"Anyway, I was with Noel Spero, and she and I were heading to her place for dinner when she muttered something. I asked her to repeat it and she said my team acts like a bunch of wolves. It fit."

"And this name change magically is bringing a sense of respect by them?" Paul nodded.

"Wolves are fearsome, but when tamed they are noble creatures. I wish to temper the wolves and make them a fighting force all their own. In order to do this, I needed to change with them. We cannot conform to every Emprean tradition, it bogs us down. Instead of house colors, we'll wear these pelts. When the moon is full, we'll train all night. I will push them harder and they will be a full fighting unit that will break the foe, and uphold all the honor of Emprea."

"How admirable," Viola whispered. "Just don't tire yourself out and fall asleep in my class." Paul grinned. "The way you handled yourself with Fulgrim and Renald made me very proud of you, Captain," She said firmly. "You did not lose your temper, and you managed yourself in professional manner that I want to commend you for."

"May I speak freely, mam?" Viola nodded. "Fulgrim's a prick. And Renald is an asshole too!" He growled as he began to get ahead of himself. "Those idiots are trying to find ways to get my wolves in trouble, like they want me to fail or something! I have had to rush and save six of my men from their plotting and my two squad leaders broke up a few of their own. I swear I would love to crush them myself with my fists!"

"Is that really your solution to everything?" Viola asked, a slight scowl on her features as she looked back to see the hatred emanating from his face. "You really truly think that barbaric violence is actually accepted in any social circle?"

"It has a time and a place, and I tend to make that time more often than not. But, but," Paul let out a sheepish sigh before he blurted his next words. "Sometimes you just have to smash that which is in the way of what you want. It's my motto. I have lived a long twenty plus years to that creed and while it has more often than not been a hassle, it has allowed me to keep with my beliefs."

"And sometimes you need to control your temper." Paul shrugged again. "You do realize the number of necks that stick out for you to keep you safe. Your motto has had several instances where I looked at your discharge papers, and a few times I seriously considered it."

"M'am, can I ask you a question?" Viola nodded. "Have you really considered dropping me out?" Viola looked to him and still saw none of the flair of anger the others saw. "I know I'm a screw up at times, and when I step in it, I step deep. But I think at the end of the day I am worth more to the army."

Viola stopped as she gave her captain an appraising look. She took in every detail, studying him before gently lifting a hand to her shoulders and fixing the jacket.

"I suppose," She exaggerated, winking as she moved on. Paul let out a laugh that echoed in the hallway as they moved on. "So," Viola said as the nagging thought returned. "Have you found a date to the ball?"

Paul actually let out a long, frustrated sigh as he slouched forwards rubbing the back of his head. "Nope, got a lot of rejections and four out right laughs. What about you, M'am?"

"Oh, I don't bother to look very hard. It's all a formality really. But I suppose I should put more effort into finding one. My quarters are up these stairs," She said lightly lifting her finger up. "I swear I'm just so exhausted that sometimes I cannot find the strength to climb these stone steps of hell." she joked. She moved towards the first landing and prepared for the climb when suddenly she felt her feet lift in the air, an arm crossing her back as she was braced like a small child. She protested quickly, her legs kicking out as she looked to Paul and actually slammed one balled fist into his jaw.

"Just relax, M'am," Paul grunted. Viola glared to him, but her heart kept fluttering and her blood raced through her system as he continued to climb. "Won't be much longer now."

She looked to the fast approaching door, feeling the swarm of emotions stir within her as her one hand gripped his chest tightly. She felt rather comfortable in his arms and she softly adjusted to lean her head against his arms.

"Jeeze, where do you live?" Paul asked in wonder as he looked out over the balcony to the gardens of the central court yard. From this perspective he could see all of the beauty of the Emprean gardens, each perfect dark colored rose and the vibrant shaded colors of the other plant life. He could see several people walking along the gardens, but the large vegetation made an almost wall like barrier that kept them ignorant of the people around them. Viola held him gently as she looked, spying Natalie with David King on one corner, and in the opposite Jonothan walking hand in hand with Rachel Leona.

"my perks for being your boss," She cooed. She wrapped the jacket a little tighter, and she could feel Paul's muscles tightening around her. He held her in his arms for a moment, both looking out over the serene terrain.

Viola's heart continued to spurt with emotions, her face instinctively nuzzling up against his chest and shoulder. She felt like she could stay in his arms forever. But the second she thought that she began to squirm to get free, and Paul gently lowered her. She held his jacket, looking to her feet before she softly removed it letting her fingers run through the soft fur.

"Thank you Captain Donovan," Viola said softly, turning to her doorway as she pulled out her key. Paul watched her, putting his jacket on and waiting. She looked behind her into his hazel eyes, her own blue eyes softening. So many emotions mingled out between the two of them. Invisible threads slowly intertwining together to become one.

"Yeah, my pleasure," Paul whispered back to her. Viola looked to him, and then with much more difficulty than she ever could have imagined, entered her door and shut it leaning against the heavy wood and sighing deeply.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12