Silver
    Eye Color
    Teal
    Build
    about 6' 1"/ 120 pounds
    Job
    Sell Sword

God damn you hemingway.

Well in My english class we were reading the sun also rises by Ernest hemingway. God awful book, and I wanted to discuss the writing portion and possible styles of writing he had in said book, see if any of them are any good.

The first thing I noticed was his staccato style, where he has a bunch of rapid fire dialog, and it seems like character put in like a sentence and snuck off, never to be heard from again.
    Example:
    "yo dog" I said
    "Sup man"
    "How 'bout this weather?"
    "Sure is nice"
    "Yep"
    "Hows the wife?"
    "Good, yours?"
    "Great, you know what else is great??"
    "What?'
    "Drinking"
    "Indeed"
    "Lets go get hammered."
    "Sure"

Above is typical "The sun also rises" dialog. Not only that it seems he writes all of his female characters to be tramps. I mean really, had anyone else noticed this?

EXP: 58,871, Level: 10
    Level completed: 45%, EXP required for next level: 6,129
    Level completed: 45%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,129
    GP

Name
    Dan Lagh'ratham
    Race
    Rock guy
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Ice Blue/Gray
    Build
    6'4"/215lbs
    Job
    Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
    Above is typical "The sun also rises" dialog. Not only that it seems he writes all of his female characters to be tramps. I mean really, had anyone else noticed this?
    You ever notice how Bukowski writes about drinking and horse races and whores? Man, its like writers have these individual styles or something!
    Bastards never die.

EXP: 6,572, Level: 3
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 2,428
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,428
    GP

Name
    Jack Frost
    Race
    Salvarian
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Teal
    Build
    about 6' 1"/ 120 pounds
    Job
    Sell Sword

Yeah, but the way he writes them is trashy, and hardly any of them have any personality or depth. Its shitty writing that would get shitty reviews today, its only famous because of the time it was written, and wouldn't stand in today's modern world of literature. In fact, it should probably be shoved into the back of the libraries in a small corner with all of the other "timeless" classics that aren't really as timeless as they claim to be.

Throbbing Member
    EXP: 101,041, Level: 13
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next level: 2,959
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,959
    GP

Name
    Godhand Striker
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Prematurely Gray
    Eye Color
    Crimson
    Build
    6'2"/205lbs
    Job
    Wine collector

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer of the Rot View Post
    You ever notice how Bukowski writes about drinking and horse races and whores? Man, its like writers have these individual styles or something!
    Don't bring Bukowski into this. He doesn't deserve to be associated even coincidentally with a site occupied by the sorts of retards that think Hemingway was a hack and A Tale of Fire and Ice or whatever godawful Tolkien elfcrap the nerd flavor of the month is is the pinnacle of modern literature.

Protip: try going back and reading it when you're not thirteen and have detoxed off Naruto mangalanka or japanimotion or whatever the fuck it is you goddamn submonkey kids today read between going to the dump and slamming refrigerator doors over your huge foreheads.
    "I almost shook his hand but then I remembered I killed a man."
    -Camus, The Stranger

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
    -Denis Diderot

"But I can smile...And I can smile while I kill..."
    -King Ricardo

"I know this is going to sound like a joke but I am deadly serious: I didn't know it was jubilee week."
    -Johnny Rotten

Meet Mr. Man/My Inventory/Almost Great

GP

Name
    Jack Frost
    Race
    Salvarian
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Teal
    Build
    about 6' 1"/ 120 pounds
    Job
    Sell Sword

This has nothing to do with my age, so don't start there godhand. I don't like it because his style is choppy at times and take multiple reads to make any sense at all. Not because I just happen to be 15. Honestly I like a few of the older works, Ethan Frome was bearable, Frankenstein was pretty good. I liked the odyssey, Its just the fact that their books had flow. the sun akso rises doesn't even have a real ending. Brett and Jake are just chillin in a cab for gods sake. Don't flame me for my opinion when I bothered to state exactly why I didn't like it. Instead you could step of your high horse and bother to realize that I'm making an educated analysis about his style while you come in and try and troll me. Whos being the adult here?

EXP: 1,008, Level: 1
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next level: 992
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next level: 992
    GP

Name
    Amelie Boehme
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'4" / 126 lb

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost
    Its shitty writing that would get shitty reviews today, its only famous because of the time it was written, and wouldn't stand in today's modern world of literature.
    Ow, what, what's that coppery taste in my mouth? Is that blood? Did I just bite my tongue clean off?

Why yes, I think I may have.
    Last edited by Alembic; 12-09-10 at 10:17 PM.

GP

Name
    Jack Frost
    Race
    Salvarian
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Teal
    Build
    about 6' 1"/ 120 pounds
    Job
    Sell Sword

Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    Ow, what, what's that coppery taste in my mouth? Is that blood? Did I just bite my tongue clean off?

Why yes, I think I may have.
    Have you read "The sun also rises?" The character start drinking every morning for the most part (and continue to do so for a vast amount of the chapter) and Jake (the main character) is the only one with a reliable, steady job. The rest are either failed authors or just live off their parents money. Had you given this to be reviewed by any of the next generations critics they wold tear it to shreds, regardless of the fact that it was about as pleasant a read as shoving cactus's in my eye sockets. He had a couple good points, and a bit of good humor, so it wasn't entirely bad. I just view his writing to be tedious and choppy. I get what he was going at, and perhaps not all of his books are a bad. But the Sun also rises was terrible.

EXP: 1,008, Level: 1
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next level: 992
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next level: 992
    GP

Name
    Amelie Boehme
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'4" / 126 lb

Oh dear. Maybe if I attach some sort of pully system to all the great American authors and literary critics of the past, oh, eighty years, I could harness the kinetic energy generated from them simultaneously turning in their graves. This thread alone should provide enough power for the entire Western Hemisphere.
    Last edited by Alembic; 12-09-10 at 10:29 PM.

GP

Name
    Jack Frost
    Race
    Salvarian
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Teal
    Build
    about 6' 1"/ 120 pounds
    Job
    Sell Sword

The sad part is yo know this book will drop like a stone in water when all the kids of my generation rise to power because to face facts I'm one of the more appreciative of literature of my age group. And unlike others my age I have a reason why I don't like it other than "Its boring." I just don't like his style. I found it to be repetitive and dry.

Screw You, Andy.
    EXP: 233,561, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next level: 0
    GP

Name
    Sei Orlouge
    Race
    Mystic
    Hair Color
    Orange
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'11'', 172 lbs
    Job
    Protector of Radasanth.

View Profile
    First off Frosty, capitalize Hemingway. Seriously, it's driving me insane.

Secondly, here's an odd thing, but I typed in 'Modern reviews for 'The Sun Also Rises' ' in Google.

Can you guess what I found?

Dozens upon dozens of positive reviews. Not a single negative one. Also, guess when they're dated?

2008-2010. Two years ago up until this year.

So either you're not getting the deeper meaning of the book, or you did not truly 'read' it.

I'm not saying you have to like it, hate it all you want. But it's original Hemingway, you should damn well respect it.

Otherwise, you're more than welcome to spend time with the rest of 'your' generation
    2011 Althy winner for Best Comeback, Most Helpful Moderator, and Best IC Odd Couple (With Enigmatic Immortal). 2012 Althie Winner for Mr. Althanas, and best Bromance (also, with Enigmatic Immortal). 2014 Althy Winner Best Battler for Forrals Fortress.

Gisela Open Winner (First Year), Lornius Cooperate Championship 3rd Place Winner (1/2 of 'Don't Blinke!', 2nd year).

(21:41:22) Sulla: If you kill god, Nihilism fills the void, you need the ubermensch to take the place of god. Sei is the ubermensch.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast