Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

Game of Thrones

I don't know how many people (if any) here caught the yesterday's premiere of this show on HBO, but given the fact that most of us here like fantasy, this is one show you should keep your eye on. It's based on George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire which are by far the best fantasy books I read. Now, if you haven't read the books, the first episode might be a bit difficult to get into, but for those who read them this is like a wet dream come true. I feel that for some characters they could've done better casting, but for the most part they did a great job. The setting is also very well done, but you don't really see that many various settings in the first episodes, so I'm still waiting to see some others before passing a real judgment on it. But all in all, for the first time in a while my expectations were actually exceeded and I'm loving it so far.

So yeah, if you haven't read the books, go get them. And if you had, check out the show because it's awesomeness of the purest kind! Anybody else pumped up about this?
    Last edited by Letho; 04-18-11 at 05:18 PM.
    "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming

Maul-Slayer
    EXP: 172,649, Level: 18
    Level completed: 14%, EXP required for next level: 16,351
    Level completed: 14%,
    EXP required for next level: 16,351
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    I will definitely check out those books.. but I don't really watch TV. Based on what I know about the industry, the setting will get more elaborate soon or the show will get canned. the sponsors will be waiting for accurate rating assessment before they pour significant capital into locations.
    ... They fell to him as prey to bluefin
    for the Jya's warriors knew not how to swim...
    13-3-2

I wrote a book! ~ Most Suave Character 2010

EXP: 7,821, Level: 3
    Level completed: 71%, EXP required for next level: 1,179
    Level completed: 71%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,179
    GP

Name
    Vespasian Villeneuve
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'10 / 140 lbs
    Job
    Covert Operative

I definitely am. Correct me if I'm wrong, Letho, because it's been a while, but it's more so a drama in a fantasy setting than a fantasy. That's my kinda story. Another show I'm kind of watching is Camelot and The Borgias. Anyways back to the subject. The beginning tile sequence, if you look close, is pretty accurate to George R R Martins description of the location of the kingdoms. That impressed me.
    The Villeneuve Family
    Vespasian - PC, Lv. 1, Lv. 2 ...THE BABY!
    Maelle Eldest Sister
    Ludivine Middle Sister
    Esme Father

Maul-Slayer
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    Also btw "Game of Thrones" sounds an awful lot like "Game of Houses", otherwise known as Da'es Da'emar(sp?) in The Wheel of Time series written by Robert Jordan and since his passing Brandon Sanderson mothatrucka!

Which means it's probably awesome also.
    13-3-2

EXP: 16,222, Level: 5
    Level completed: 38%, EXP required for next level: 3,778
    Level completed: 38%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,778
    GP

Name
    Marcus Book
    Race
    Human
    Build
    5'7"/240 lbs.
    Job
    Mercenary

Quote Originally Posted by 016573 View Post
    I will definitely check out those books.. but I don't really watch TV. Based on what I know about the industry, the setting will get more elaborate soon or the show will get canned. the sponsors will be waiting for accurate rating assessment before they pour significant capital into locations.
    Actually, HBO has been pretty crazy-good about this particular show. They've dumped significant capital into making sure it's as close to the source material as they can get it, and talk started going around that they were going to renew it for a second season before the first episode aired.

Usually you'd be right, but the amount of support Game of Thrones is getting is pretty amazing. The production values rival the Lord of the Rings movies (well, except GoT's midgets are actually midgets), and that alone puts it a cut well above any other television fantasy show I've ever heard of.

I have yet to read the books (I know, shame on me, etc etc) but I subscribed to HBO just to watch Game of Thrones and I'm not disappointed so far. It looks and feels like the kind of show that would start arguments about historical accuracy, except the first fifteen minutes have a giant ice wall and blue-eyed zombies.

If you're subscribed to HBO and like fantasy (especially low fantasy and/or political intrigue), it's something you should be watching, for sure.

Maul-Slayer
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    While I am philosophically open to the idea of television networks doing "good" work my own experience has been entirely the opposite. Granted I know nothing about HBO specifically, and I'm not denying how awesome these kinds of shows can be. I'm currently in the process (have been for over a year) of watching Stargate SG-1 in its entirety with my friends who own the series dvds.

Like I said, I don't watch television. I'll probably pick up a couple of the books second hand, and maybe in the future I'll find myself watching the dvds :P
    13-3-2

GP

Name
    Thomas Saxon
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'1''/201 lbs.
    Job
    Hunter

Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of fantasy, so I'll take your word for it. The only thing I'm really interested in reading and watching this point is the book/documentary Restrepo. About a U.S. Infantry unit's bloody and violent deployment to Korengal valley in Afghanistan. Thanks for the heads up anyway.
    HEY! If you are judging or adding experience to a quest of mine, READ THIS!

~~Fibonacci's Tales ~~
    To Trump A Bluff.. (Best Quest of 2007)
    Almost Heroes

"To be evil is easy. It is far easier to destroy the light inside of someone then the darkness all around you." -The Night Watch

EXP: 2,430, Level: 1
    Level completed: 15%, EXP required for next level: 2,570
    Level completed: 15%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,570
    GP

Name
    Ganlon Martel
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    70 inches 215 pounds
    Job
    Cleric of Aegle

I was particularly excited about this show and it didn't disappoint so far. I was able to wrestle the T.V. away from my Wife and Dancing with the Idol or some such reality show to watch it.

I have read both series and I have to say that I am and will be a true blue Robert Jordan fan. That being said there is something more real about Game of Thrones, something that makes you believe that you could be there with them. Perhaps it is the fact that the Magic is in the background and not in your face. Either way I will be fighting to own that remote every week.

It will be interesting to see if they continue to put up so much money after the first book is done in 10 episodes.
    Ganlon Martel
    Bringing care to places most won't go.

Non Timebo Mala
    EXP: 126,303, Level: 15
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 8,697
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,697
    GP

Name
    Letho Ravenheart
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    I definitely am. Correct me if I'm wrong, Letho, because it's been a while, but it's more so a drama in a fantasy setting than a fantasy. That's my kinda story. Another show I'm kind of watching is Camelot and The Borgias. Anyways back to the subject. The beginning tile sequence, if you look close, is pretty accurate to George R R Martins description of the location of the kingdoms. That impressed me.
    Well, it's kind of hard to just brand it with a single genre, I guess. I just choose to call it fantasy because the term covers a lot of ground. But you could call it a drama, or even a political drama given all the intrigues, but also a medieval fantasy of sorts. Or you could just call it awesome. That works too. I think the fact that they worked with Martin while creating the show instead of just buying the rights and do what they want with it is really paying off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganlon Martel
    I have read both series and I have to say that I am and will be a true blue Robert Jordan fan. That being said there is something more real about Game of Thrones, something that makes you believe that you could be there with them. Perhaps it is the fact that the Magic is in the background and not in your face.
    That's one of the main reasons I love The Song of Ice and Fire so much, because it's not really your typical fantasy setting. I can't necessarily say it's more realistic, but rather just more believable. It's not elves and goblins and shit, blasting away their spells and whatnot. It's simply people and their struggle for power and survival.

The only fear I have for this show is that, while the fans might be digging it in a big way, it won't be accepted by a wider audience. And then they pull the plug because it's not raking in as much money as they planned.
    "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming

EXP: 16,848, Level: 5
    Level completed: 48%, EXP required for next level: 3,152
    Level completed: 48%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,152
    GP

Name
    Elrundir Galadhrim
    Race
    Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Black with blue flecks

I want to watch this, but I haven't read the books yet and I think I want to do that before watching. I still have to finish the book I'm reading first (The Stand by Stephen King) before I can do that. And I'm a pretty slow reader so it may be a while before I get around to it. But I am looking forward to it, at least, and I have a shitload of gift cards to spend at Chapters so I think this is what I'll do with them.
    I don't think you're inferior. I just think I'm better than you.

Current Threads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast