EXP: 6,287, Level: 2
    Level completed: 33%, EXP required for next level: 2,713
    Level completed: 33%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,713
    GP

Name
    Ace Mandelo
    Race
    Hostis humani generis : You don't want to know.
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    Job
    Fighter/Champion/Your Mom's Hero

The Dark Stone Of Orox( Open to Rhiannon, Car'a'carn, and Amen. THIS IS HAPPENING)

The sun entered its final hours on another hallowed day, its trail through the sky an august trail of crimson clouds and fading glory over Corone’s Jadet. The town had survived another winter, the streets still slick with the remnants of frost, the breeze still cold with the season, and the salt of the ocean where it belonged. The forests nearby marked the path to woodcutter’s village of Underwood, a shorn passage through the forest by courtesy of Baron ruler and many men’s backs. The day was ending in one direction, but with a turn of the head, the prevailing night could be seen as it rose from over the sea.

Shops closed with a common mind for prudence, but places for the night dweller, insomniac, rogue, villain, watchman hard at hooky, and women of less repute than merchant’s spittle gathered. The pub as always was open, and new nothing of night or day with forever lit lanterns and forever dimmed windows. It was a place filled with the scent of fire, filthy meats made sweat by necessity, and the grim spiteful hand of a cook and his wife. All the tables were fully occupied but one, and above it was the nailed flyer for a hunt.

‘Zombies… if there is anything more confounding than vampires in both the nature of their characters and the motivations behind their very being, it would have to be zombies,’ Herobrine thought. The shapeshifter had yet again found himself living someone else’s life, a life old enough to feel justified in pondering nothing as he draped on arm over his chair, set his heel to the table, and lowered his gaze to the mug of ale that tinted the air with its beard curling alcohol. ‘Strikes the mind, soft though it is, that a zombie is always craving flesh or brains… probably because the silly thing knows it lacks—‘ His thoughts were interrupted by the shrill of a terrible klaxon.

The bronze heights of some female baritone rattled the taverns walls enough to leave every man sure that the nails and wood had been loosened in both the floor and tables. It was a death knell for happiness and freedom, “Drinking! spitting! cursing! shiftless! witless! buffoon!” The man, hollowed eyed with both his graying hair down and his shirt torn open real under every accusation as if he had been struck—at the very least more so than the one which had bloodied his nose and lip. He raised his hands to ward off the sphinx like horror that though not half his age (her youth a child of comparison, looks too) was strong enough in character to treat him like a child.

The old man’s wandering eye had seen her come in, and he’d laid eyes on her bitter looks and pink gown; she thought too highly of herself and had too little money to spend putting on airs for a people whose business was just as involved with liquor or death at Schioleck’s Pub. He’d seen the stick in her hand, a thing of wood like the leg of a chair whose only use these days was propping doors shut.

The second thwack of what would likely become a slowly progressive drubbing spread a yellow toothed smile across old Herobrine’s face. Elderly by line of face and fade of clothes, a giant by the length of his limbs, he was not a cruel man, but the stumbling, bumbling, simpering of, “honey,” and, “darling,” and, “I’m sorry,” and, “please!” were enough to make a man ambivalent about another man’s suffering…

As the two left, and the cheer everyone felt as fate spent precious seconds belting one rather than another ran its course, Herobrine drank deeply and rubbed at his throat at the blazing heat he knew to be health searing his body came and went. ‘That’s how you know you know you’re alive.’ His father had said some decades earlier with son at knee (choking). “That’s how you know you’re alive.” He mumbled, keenly aware of how alive he was, before turning his thoughts to wonder of time.

Three weeks ago he’d paid some boys to spread the fliers and word of a job, the kind that paid when it was done and not a second or gold piece until the graves were filled. It had cost him ten pieces of gold—children’s prices had risen lately, he noticed, before writing the rats off as greedy—and they’d delivered. Nailed or sealed with glue or spit, those flier were on every third street, and if that wasn’t enough, the story on every fifth persons lips. A world of fiends, elves, despots, and fools and Herobrine still found his ears perking to the sound of worry and fear.

On the table before the man lay the crumpled paper pinned under an ashtray, its mottled parchment running the catchall slogan “Jadet’s Mercy: Help the living impaired find their proper place!” in large black letters, beneath it a casual grave and flowers had been drawn, none of them looked the same, but these were usually the same. It hadn’t been the first they’d been made either, more had been lost trying to solve this problem than when it had started most said, they said it there too, the mouths of the faceless turned away from him whispering things they had every reason to think he couldn’t hear. One thing Lawrence was certain of was this old man was one who needed his meditation…otherwise the voices bled through his skull.

“He’s so old.” “The hell does the fool think he is?” “We’ve got watchmen and soldiers, why don’t they handle...” “He looks like one of those old things at the citadel; poor soldier doesn’t know when to retire.” “I’m telling you, Jadet belongs to us, not some baron too stupid to make his own bed.” “Think he’ll end up like one of them?” “At least he’s willing.” “We’ve got a civil war too, and the drafts dragging away anything that can stand.” “Did you see the size of that spear?” “Aye, that place makes a corpse out of anyone who dares to die, but it’s better than being trampled by every regiment that crosses the frontline.”

“SHUT UP!” The inn trembled under his black gaze as the man’s moustache curled upwards with his snarl, the inn went quiet too. Turning, drinking, huffing breaths of what might be paint thinner without relief, the man awaited his party of whoever dared to arrive. He’d met two earlier: a man who stank of death and magic, and a woman who had managed to arrive at a pleasant juncture in the old man’s estimations between spiteful bitch and damned useful. Baring children, Herobrine Svarldin was largely indiscriminate about who followed him to death’s fields.
    Last edited by Knave; 05-18-11 at 12:51 PM.
    Return the ill-verse to the anvil. ~ MEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Depending on who you place in the same situation, the characteristics of said incident change kaleidoscopically. In other words, there is one incident. However, there are as many stories explaining it as there are people involved in it.

— Gustav St. Germain

EXP: 700, Level: 1
    Level completed: 35%, EXP required for next level: 1,300
    Level completed: 35%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,300
    GP

Name
    Rhiannon Marie Orris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blonde
    Eye Color
    Gray/Blue
    Build
    5'10"/ 120 lbs
    Job
    Technocrat Union Field Agent

A knocking surprised Rhiannon as her eyes slid open, glancing around in the darkness slightly confused before she sat up, letting out a wide yawn. Yet another series of knocks rang from her oak door, giving her the motivation to answer. Wrapping her blanket around her slender body, she opened the door, squinting from the immediate light from a candle. “Officer Roland?”

“Rhiannon,” his voice spoke deeply, and soft enough not to wake the others sleeping next door. “I need to ask an important favor of you, privet. I find myself in quite the pickle it seems.”

Sounding a bit concerned, Rhiannon waved the man in, shutting the door behind him. “What’s going on, officer? How can I help?” she asked with curiosity.

“Thank you.” Roland lied the candle down on the bed’s end table, looking at Rhiannon with a somewhat serious expression. Something seemed to be bothering him. Off topic, Rhiannon never saw Roland in casual clothing before. The quality of his clothes seemed pretty moderate, which likely met he made a good living working for the Underwood Government.

“Is everything ok?” Rhiannon asked, pushing for him to speak of what was bothering him. She also felt that it was kind of odd that he came to her of all people. She was just a simple private and a Head Officer seemed to seek her out for some kind of assistance.

Roland hesitated a short moment as he stared into the fire of the candlelight. Before Rhiannon would have to dig deeper to get the information out of him, his lips parted. “We have a problem North of Underwood. A problem with the dead. I had a few strong men of higher rank armed to help the town…and… they backed out last second. I gave Herobine my word that our patrol team would assist him to solve this problem once and for all. No one else will do it, you are the only worker I have left.”

Rhiannon’s eyes watched him, seeing the serious in his eyes brought her great courage. Just from the little time she has worked for him, she admired his dedication to protect his people. From what she saw of this town so far, the burly man was a true soldier for Underwood. “If you need my help, sir, I will assist you in anyway I can. Though I don’t really understand what you’re asking of me. The dead, how can it possibly be such a threat?”

The burly man stroked his beard a few times, his eyes narrowing in thought as he tried to summon up a summary on the job’s description. Finally, a light bulb went off in his head. “The dead are a threat because they are walking, moving around, attacking any villager that crosses their path. There seems to be some kind of cycle going on, some kind of magic. Every full moon these creatures rise from the earth and destroy everything in their path. If the solution to this problem isn’t solved, I’m afraid the problem will make its way south. Underwood can’t afford more chaos than we already have. Our budget is slim, especially with all of our money going toward the war.”

Securing her blankets which were slowly crawling down her shoulders from paying less attention to it, nodded at Roland. Normally she would salute the higher ranked, but this was by no means an option. Roland wouldn’t appreciate seeing one of his patrollers in their undergarments. Then again, maybe not seeing she was one of the few females working for him. The only one that she knew off, actually. “Give me your orders, sir. When should I depart?”

Seeing now that everything wasn’t hopeless, Roland smirked, giving her a thankful handshake. “This means the world to your Officer, Private. Normally I would just command people to go, but Underwood left me with nothing but volunteer recruits like yourself. Hopefully the men who declined will feel shame and embarrassment to see a woman hold the weight they would not. You’ll be leaving, er, now. Time is short and you need to arrive there just before nightfall. Again, I apologize I came to you with this burden.”

“No burden, sir. I swore to protect Underwood under your command. I’ll do just that. Let me pack my things and I’ll be on my way, but under one condition…” Rhiannon smiled, it was always amusing to watch a man’s expression when she made a catch.

“And?” Roland asked, giving her a look that couldn’t exactly be explained. It was evident that Roland didn’t enjoy being in such a tight situation. Flustered would be a good word.

“I leave the armor and sword. I will use my weapon as well. What you provide to your recruits will only burden and slow me down. I can make much better time without it.”

Letting out a sigh, he agreed. What other choice did he really have? “Fine, but I want you to take this.. It may become of some use later on during your quest.” Holding out his rough textured hand, revealed a small ring. “This ring, with a twist to the right, will provide you with light during the night. Its radius and clarity is much better than any torch. And so you know, I’ll be expecting this back.”

“You got yourself a dead ridding soldier, officer.”

“You’re a good recruit, Orris.” Roland chuckled, reaching in to give her a pat on the shoulder, but his fingers quickly retreated, feeling it wouldn’t be a good idea professionally. “I’ll leave you to ready yourself.”

Once the door shut, Rhiannon didn’t take a second to hesitate as she placed the ring on her middle finger, seeing it was the only finger it would fit, and tested it out. A flash of green light colored the room, which indeed was brighter than a torch. It was so fascinating that it sent tingles all through the woman’s body. Turning the ring to the left, quickly dressed and opened her drape. The sun beamed in powerfully, causing the woman to take a step back, sniffle a few times, and let out a powerful sneeze. Damn. Got her every time.

Since Rhiannon spent much of her time patrolling the night, her sleeping hours were during the day. Lucky for her she only needed five hours of sleep to be fully rested. Minutes passed and the Patrol Recruit was already out the door, marching her way to Roland. He handed her a small map he wrote out for her. He spoke quickly and to the point. “You’re to follow these directions north and speak to a man by the name of Herobrine. He will guide you from there, just, er, don’t look at him funny…His appearance will throw you off.”

With a nod, a salute, and a respectful goodbye, Rhiannon set out. The travel would be many miles, but this woman has traveled much, much further in one sitting. Keeping an even pace, she paced herself up north. A horse would have been pleasant, but the woman understood that Underwood was on a very tight bank.

Hours of patting feet.

Nightfall was near, and the rain was heavy as Rhiannon marched through the heavy rain as a poncho hood covered her from the wet tears of Althanas. Keeping the large poncho tight against her, looked far up the hill, seeing the tavern in the distance. Her destination was very near, and within an almost perfect time range.

Many drunks surrounded the tavern, laughing, telling jokes, singing, and even fighting over nothing it seemed. Hm, what a place. Seemed pretty popular from what she saw. And dangerous. Making her way closer to the tavern, she placed her hood back, eyeing the bar over. Her beauty and straight shoulders made her stick out from this rowdy crowd. This woman really held herself together, much like a trained soldier.

The bartender gave her an odd stare as she approached him, asking for a Herobrine. His slightly aged, hairy finger, pointing to a man across the bar. “The man ya seek is there, lassy. Don’ get too close…ya might lose ah ear.. Heard da lad gots the teeth of a crocodile..”

“Uhm, right. Thank you.” Without any word to the bartender, she walked to the empty table.

Placing her finger cut gloved hands down on the table, her eyes glanced at the paper under the ash tray before her gaze fell on the dark man. “Recruit Orris reporting in under Head Officer Roland’s command. If I am correct, you go by the title Herobrine?”
    "The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle."

GP

Name
    Gilberto Di Palerma
    Race
    human
    Hair Color
    brown
    Eye Color
    brown with a hint of gray

It was that time of the day when one could hardly tell if it were evening or night already. The sun had ended it's daily travel cross the sky and was now rapidly sinking at the horizon. A dark blanket would rapidly follow, tucking most townsmen in for the night. Not everyone was ending their day yet though. Like anywhere, this town too had its creatures of the night. For a variety of people, their workday was only about to begin. There were those who made a living plundering houses when the inhabitants were asleep and those trying to prevent that from happening. Those who lived from serving food and drinks and those who preferred to stay up late with friends in the local inns and restaurants, trying to make some money rolling dice or playing cards. If they eventually went home they'd find themselves a bit lighter then when they entered the establishment of their choice. Lighter pockets and lighter heads tend to make people happy for a night, only to regret it in the morning.

Still outside, a man walked towards a wooden door. Above the door was a sign. Although it was a bit peeled, the letters on it were still readable. This was the place he'd been looking for. An not a minute to soon. His cloak was wet, his body cold. And the wind did not help him warm up either. There were many people outside. Joking, laughing and fighting on this wet, cold, late-winter evening. All fools according to the middle-aged man. There was a perfectly dry and warm tavern only meters away. But these idiots preferred to stay outside. Not Gilberto Di Palerma, he didn't hesitate one second to get of this crowded street.

As he swung open the door, a loud murmur escaped the room. Accompanied by some of the warmth that was promised inside. Gilberto shook the rain from his cloak and removed the hood from his head as he stepped inside. It was busy in here, but there was room for a few more. The man thought of those outside and couldn't help but smile. Idiots! The man passed a few table on his way to the bar. On his way there, bits and pieces of conversations reached his ears. Some about work, others poorly told jokes. But none about his goal in the tavern. He was here because of a rumor he'd heard. Walking death. The man had been intrigued by this rumor. Mostly about a stone that awakened corpses. That was a thing he could use to further his study.

“Hello young lady.”
    Gilberto was born and raised in a wealthy family. He was raised with the idea of good manners. An idea he still held high, even though he broke with his shallow-minded parents.
    “Can you tell me where I can find Herobrine?”
    The courtesy of good manners where not for everyone, so it seamed. The woman behind the bar simply took the glasses she'd been filling and nodded towards a table on the far end of the room. There were two people at it. A man and a woman. Both were looking down at a piece of paper in between them when the middle-aged man arrived.
    “So, you are the ones who're going to put the undead to rest?”

EXP: 16,222, Level: 5
    Level completed: 38%, EXP required for next level: 3,778
    Level completed: 38%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,778
    GP

Name
    Marcus Book
    Race
    Human
    Build
    5'7"/240 lbs.
    Job
    Mercenary

Marcus was beginning to feel like he was chasing shadows. The Brotherhood had been gathering rumors of the so-called Dark Stone of Orox for some time now, and even the most skeptical scribes of the Order had to admit that the common threads between each tale were notable. Still, when the orders had arrived to investigate the matter further, Book had not been pleased.

This, he felt, was scribes’ work. Let someone else find the damn thing, and if it existed he would deal happily deal with it.

Once again, the young paladin cursed Corone, the Citadel, and his apparent entrapment. The Radasanth holdings of the Brotherhood were the smallest in the known world according to common knowledge, and so manpower was severely limited. It seemed that before every opportunity Book had to leave, someone found some excuse to send him to a far corner of this gods-forsaken country to investigate goblins or evil rocks, because who else could go?

And where was he now? Marcus paused, half-unfurled a folded map, and considered how far he’d traveled today. The sun was dead set for the horizon now, but he had set out relatively late in the afternoon to chase down a fresh lead on the Dark Stone, and did not feel taxed. He was a good marcher.

In any case, he did not intend to hunt down a probably-mythical magic rock in the dark. After roughly discerning his location, he picked the nearest settlement on the map and then set off in the direction it was meant to be. Once there, an inn wasn’t difficult to find, and that might have been the end of his reasonably uneventful day if not for a chance discovery.

The innkeeper was in the process of collecting trash when Marcus was preparing to settle in for the evening, muttering about nonsense, graves, and adventurers. Book rescued a curious flier from the trash heap, and his heart gradually sank as he read it. While it did not expressly describe the object he had been sent for, it spoke of phenomena too familiar to ignore, and its advertised meeting was to happen tonight.

With a crestfallen sigh, the paladin returned to the night in search of faded shadows, the contents of which he was increasingly sure did not exist.

Marcus was unsure this was the right place. The air was crisp, and the streets wet either with recent rainfall or a new spring’s attentions on an old winter’s pockets of frost. Still, men milled about outside the inn, embroiled in various acts in degrees of misbehavior. A hard place, but Book was armed with sword and mace and his considerable brawn and was no stranger to a good brawl. A scowl cleared the way to the door as effectively as muscle would.

Warmly lit and well-patronized, the pub still seemed a better place to plan criminal enterprises than a meeting spot for public servants. Marcus didn’t care, in the end. He scanned the crowd, and picked out a mismatched crew gathered around a particular table. This was his best bet.

On approach, he considered those gathered individually. Naturally he noticed the woman first: hard-bodied and straight-backed, confident and professional and yet clearly out of her element. Marcus liked looking at her, but did not entertain notions beyond that - he tended to like his women fit, but unreserved.

Next was a pale, slight, long-limbed man dark of hair and eye. Around him was the miasma of magic, some of it black. Book’s ire was raised, but he stamped it down: let him find the stone first, if these people knew anything about it. The broader duties could wait.

The last of those gathered must have been the one advertised as Herobrine Svarldin. This was an old man on the surface, but Marcus immediately mistrusted all appearances: there was something off about this one. A paladin of the Brotherhood has it in him to sense the spiritual shadow, which all people have to some degree. Herobrine, however, was altogether invisible to this sense, like a man who could be seen and heard but whose motions could not displace air.

Troubling, but it didn’t matter. Book had intruded on the meeting, and now he pointed at the flier that sat on the table, pinned by an ashtray. “I’m looking for that,” he told them, his voice a rolling baritone, the cadence melodic with his native Salvic, his consonants hard.

GP

Name
    Ace Mandelo
    Race
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    Job

The raucous roar of tavern could only be said to be growing as time went on, a stream of new people and parties filed in from a hard day, though few could claim work in these terrible and draining times. The fact was that for every person who had needs, there was a dearth of problems, the world simply being too big a place to stop and wonder at it all or offer aid. Some of the best and worst made the best of life beneath that surface.

Herobrine’s right hand never left his mug, and he signaled for more before he bothered to speak to his first constituent. She seated herself regardless and struck him across the ears with the most direct address Herobrine had heard in all his years. Holding alcohol aloft in the closest he would ever come to a salute, he spoke a voice too tired for bullshit and finished her sentence. “And you’re all he could find.” Though it was a less than informal lack of recognition, he met her with one shining, wandering gray eye; the other being half-closed by a permanent and scrutinizing gaze.

“Welcome to my humble office, Orris, I hope you enjoy the finery and décor,” Turning, he extended an arm to their surroundings, his balanced chair creaking as he shifted his weight for the act, “and title is a right proper word for a name like that, elegant even.” While his expression never changed from its grimace, the art of sarcasm being a joyless one as it flew on lead wings from his lips. “Truth and form aside, Orris, order what you can pay for, we won’t be leaving just yet.”

While he addressed her, he watched the incoming men as they fell in from the emptying streets outside. 'The clientele said a lot about this place; it was like rain into the gutter.' The time set for the party had been a guideline each of Herobrine’s next volunteers had followed stringently, with little more excitement than any other honest day’s work, a good sign if ever he had seen one.

When Gilberto arrived, his path was one of polite distance and least resistance toward who crossed his path, and in meeting Herobrine, he lead with the bluntest question the old man could ask for. The reply was easy coming; he eve laughed the affirmative, “He-ha. The undead don’t need rest;” he answered darkly, “they just need guidance about the proper things in life.” He said, noting the inimitable tinge in the air that surrounded the man as he seated himself; he’d know what the dead needed more than any other. “But seeing as you’re here to offer your aid, I am Herobrine and this is Orris,” he dropped her title like trash, “give us a name for the moment, be ready to give it again,.Sad to say, but introductions are a must.”

Already the next came, the scraping of wood hardly finished as Gilberto settled himself. If there was anything to be said, it was this: the next newcomer came with enough bitter suspicion in his closed face and distrustful features as to reach Herobrine in the depths of his heart, and there fill Lawrence with exactly the same. For whatever reason, though clearly armed, the man’s suspicions had not raised in him the proper alarm of what was currently nodding not sinister but aggravated recognition.

’And there he is, the square in my hand of fools.’Lawrence thought, though Herobrine’s grim feature never altered, the thought was cold and yet manic as he saw the man approach, ‘ Regardless of what he knows, I know uncertainty where I see it. The adversary that clothed itself in Herobrine’s name and skin and filth sized this next challenge, and new at any moment he could shatter the man’s skull and be done with him. Time and again, the greatest dangers he had faced were those which had been there to begin with… only time would tell and aid him in how to solve this one.

There was little impressive about the man beyond the implications of his existence, implications of violence and a heart given to thinking nothing of it. Officious to the point of command, when the last of Herobrine’s group arrived, he settled his attention on Herobrine and pointing at the flier which had brought them all together demanded simply “that” pointing at the illustrated grave and tombstone.

“Oh, you’ll have that by nights end if end you leave here now, if you want to see the next day, sit down.” Herobrine said, his gaze no more or less stern for the spiteful enmity that wakened old and usually quite dead emotions…like fear.

With another look up, and about, and seeing no one, Herobrine took in the full sum of his tools. A woman whose features were more attitude than any sign of martial discipline, a man whose face and body said nothing of work, and the most promising yet would likely prove himself more dangerous to the cause than the undead; Lawrence’s cause, of course. Herobrine eyed them all, and began where he knew he needed the most from them. His boots slipped the tables edge, and though the movement was sudden and violent, Herobrine came to the table easily with the rap of his chairs legs as they met the ground.

“If you’ve forgotten, as I’m sure you will, I am Herobrine, and this,” he setting a hand on the flier, “is the best information most you have gotten;…not that it’d do more for our prospects.” Though he finished his words speaking to no one, he continued as though neither the goal nor the team were anymore strange than usual. “We’re dealing with a problem that feeds on the mortal coil, feeds right from the soul of man if legends are to be believed,” his voice smoothed along the edges as the words found their places in surrounding minds, “truth of the matter is, we’ll be going in and after two groups that have gone before us, they’ve no doubt made more of a mess for us.

Now I don’t care at the end of the day, and if you ever live long enough to know the difference between arrogance and experience, you won’t either, but the importance of the matter, be it the masterless occult or some malicious villainy, is that the dead have found time to walk among us and are recruiting like the Ethereal Sway.” He said this while eyeing, the armed soldier as he glared back, his voice had rung with the tones of Salvar, and the jab itself at its only religion, a minor antagonism to see how far he could be pushed. “To the West, out in the fields before Underwood’s forest, they’ve been wandering the night, disoriented, as the dead should be, but dangerous. There’s no need to say more about why we’re here.”

“Now,” the elder said, addressing them all with nothing like welcome or brotherhood or any of those other silly romanticisms placed on those ready to die, “introduce yourselves, and nothing we don’t need to hear, just what your called so we can inform others as to where you might be buried, and what you can do, so we know how we’re best to stay alive.” The time had come for formal introductions.
    Last edited by Knave; 05-19-11 at 01:57 AM.

Depending on who you place in the same situation, the characteristics of said incident change kaleidoscopically. In other words, there is one incident. However, there are as many stories explaining it as there are people involved in it.

— Gustav St. Germain

GP

Name
    Rhiannon Marie Orris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blonde
    Eye Color
    Gray/Blue
    Build
    5'10"/ 120 lbs
    Job

Only seconds passed with this old goat and she was already starting to hate him. Feelings would have to be set aside to insure that it didn't interfere with the mission, though his lack of respect could make it quite difficult for her individually. Rhiannon never took too lightly to men who looked down upon her, finding her weak because she was a woman. Then again, she could just be jumping to conclusions, so she'd leave the thought aside for now. Sitting down next, but well parted from Herbrine, watched quietly as the others came.

The two gentlemen to take part in this quest came in almost unison, falling right after one another. The first man of the two looked about her age, which caused her autopilot to scope him quickly, but remained silent with her arms crossed. Since this Herobine seemed to have the 'talking' under control, Rhiannon felt it was best to let him take the lead. He knew the information after all. Herobrine's expressions of this fellow was pretty identical to the one she had received. The old bastard was probably just grumpy from his beverage and the fact he was washed up. How did he think to manage a sword without losing a limb while he was at it?

Third. Now the third brought a few questions to Rhiannon's even flowing currents of mind. The way the looked at one another, this fellow and this Herobrine toad. Something was causing an uneven tide between them, tension. Perhaps the two knew one another. Either way. This guy was straight to the point and seemed to want something. What could you possibly want from a bunch of undead creatures? Rhiannon seemed to be missing out on some sort of information that Roland never spoke of.

Introduce yourself. Welp, this was probably her cue. With a polite smile, the woman spoke softly amongst the table. “I am Rhiannon Orris, summoned here by the Underwood patrol. You could say my senses are a little off the charts.” Turning her head to look over her shoulder, just taking enough time for a glance, looked back at the table smiling. “There is a man pissing beside a tree, groaning slightly of relived pleasure. Hes out back of this tavern. As for any 'powers' that you may wish to know, the cells in my body are heavily motivated, enabling me to heal abnormally fast. Other than my strict training in combat and survival, that is all.”
    Last edited by Rhiannon; 05-19-11 at 02:37 AM.

GP

Name
    Gilberto Di Palerma
    Race
    human
    Hair Color
    brown
    Eye Color
    brown with a hint of gray

Only minutes after Gilberto entered. The last and final person partaking in the order of the day entered the crowded room. It was a man resembling an ox. The moment the middle-aged scholar laid eyes on him, he disliked him. A guy with a body like that clearly preferred brawn over brain. On top of that, he had the look. A look Gilberto had faced numerous times before. It was a look filled with disgust. Usually fed by a notion of misunderstanding. The newcomer made his way to the table shortly after entering the inn. His words, when he reached the table, were nothing more than Gilberto expected from the newcomer. “I'm looking for that.” Gilberto was certain he could learn a parrot to say that. In fact, he was almost sure that parrot would be smarter than this man. A cold distance already seemed to grow between the newcomer and Gilberto. A distance the scholar was not ready to cross.

When everyone was seated, the old man who gathered this meeting began to speak. His words formed an introduction of what was going on today as well as a more formal introduction of himself. After that, it was the woman's turn to say who she was and what her skills were. Apparently she had great hearing. She said that she could hear a man release himself of his bodily fluids outside, even though the inn was filled with a rumbling crowd and rain dropped down outside. Gilberto found this skill to be impressive, if it were true, but quite useless in a battle. The scholar's first idea was to test what happened when a sudden hard sound reached those keen senses. So when it was his time to give his formal introduction, he spoke in a loud voice. At least the first few words. His eyes were fixed on the female guard when he spoke, ready to see what happened.

“My name is Gilberto Di Palerma. I'm a scholar by nature. And from this nature I received certain powers. The thing I can do for you on this quest lays in control. I can control living things around me.

That being said, he turned to the last person who'd joined the table.

“How about you sir. What can you do for us? Apart from standing between the zombies and us that is.”

EXP: 16,222, Level: 5
    Level completed: 38%, EXP required for next level: 3,778
    Level completed: 38%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,778
    GP

Name
    Marcus Book
    Race
    Human
    Build
    5'7"/240 lbs.
    Job
    Mercenary

Grumpy, Marcus thought as Herobrine directed him to a seat.

The paladin was used to it. The old man had the bearing of an old soldier, and Marcus had been under the command of his fair share of grey war-dogs. The surprise, when it came, was born from the realization that he was, quite without warning, under someone’s command. He had assumed this party had been gathered to discuss the problem The Dark Stone presented. Now he realized they intended to do something about it, maybe tonight.

Book took up the seat Herobrine had indicated and turned it around backward. He then straddled the seat and planted himself down, wrapping his considerable arms around the chair’s carven back. He understood this was considered rude in polite company, but the company hardly seemed polite and he did not want to detach his sheathed sword from its place on his back just to sit down.

Seemingly satisfied at that, Herobrine began to explain the situation and Marcus listened intently. He raised his eyebrows when it was revealed that two groups of unknown size had already made attempts on the stone, and he was impressed to discover that this group was, indeed, assembled to itself act against the stone and not merely to discuss avenues of solution. It seemed the paladin would not be facing the unknown alone.

The old salt’s mention of The Ethereal Sway did not seem to draw any response at all from Marcus. He was well-versed in Salvar’s religion and had attended his fair share of sacred services, but he did not count himself of their number. The Church and the Brotherhood were allies, but independent from one another.

Now Herobrine called on those of the party to make introductions, and Book very nearly groaned out loud. Anya Shea, his mentor, called this stage “making friends” and it was well-known that Marcus was bad at it on his best days. If he’d been told he was going to have to make friends today, he wouldn’t have crawled out of bed in the first place.

He was relieved when the woman spoke first: Rhiannon Orris of the Underwood patrol and Marcus had little reason to doubt the claim. It made sense, he decided. She was certainly the most striking patrolman Book had ever laid eyes on, but also ranked among the most physically capable women he could recall meeting, based on appearances. He didn’t know what cells were, but combat training and enhanced senses he understood. If she wasn’t overstating her skills she would be an asset and, more importantly, her goals would align with his. Marcus silently counted her an ally, for now.

When Gilberto Di Palerma spoke next with an upraised voice, it seemed a sudden interjection. Book eyed him with curious neutrality, and soon realized he’d already failed at “making friends” – Di Palerma did not seem pleased with Rhiannon’s company, but the icy welcome he had for the paladin was unmistakable and unmasked. Marcus chided himself for concealing himself poorly, but what was done was done. They had started on opposite sides of the fence; the only difference was now Gilberto knew it too.

“I would like to think that standing between you and the hungry dead is useful enough,” he said. “But if you’d like more, well…”

Marcus raised his right hand for the party to see, which abruptly burst into flame. At first glance it could be mistaken for natural fire, but a brief moment of examination showed that it was not. The paladin’s skin did not blister or burn, nor did the flame flicker or spit or twist in the air, and it would not consume cloth or wood or any inanimate substance. It did not behave as fire should, but rather reminded one of lightning or the light given off by the sun, and its heat was somehow more than physical. It both uplifted the spirit and caused it to shrink away as if threatened.

“My name is Marcus Book,” he said, “and this is hellfire. Fire eats wood and fuel, this eats the stuff that desecrates corpses with reanimation. And those that would use that sort of magic. Because every so often a scholar comes along who thinks he knows more than he does, like this man Orox, and makes a mess. Then I come along, with my fire, and clean that mess up.”

Book realized that the patrons surrounding their table were beginning to stare at his burning hand in drunken, slack-jawed awe. As suddenly as it ignited, it went out, and he lowered his hand and smiled mirthlessly. “That’s what I can do for you. So, when do we get started?”
    Last edited by Amen; 05-21-11 at 10:47 PM.

GP

Name
    Ace Mandelo
    Race
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    Job

Under orders for more, laughter over cards, and one great cry of “thieving fiend” Herobrine laid his elbows on the table and his arms across each other as he evaluated each of his recruits for the best they had to offer. With one eye shrouded in bush of eye and beard, he scrutinized them and never shied away from his drink, dizzying that it was as it passed under the nose. He could feel it in his veins as he listened, a chocking and cloying that numbness buried with its chemical cure for the day, week, month, and century; peace meant nothing when the worst war was with one’s self.

The girl was effective in delivery, neither her posture, intonation, heartbeat, or shift of eye suggesting her assets of skill and talent were fables. Derision played his thin lips into a quirked smile though as he listened to Rhiannon’s odd choice of words.Little causes to little effects, he judged, unwilling to ask and far too uninterested to be confused. While “charts” were familiar, though foreign, and “cells” were unknown, and uncared for, the old man noted that with pride of her abilities she neglected all mention of weapons or their use. Herobrine neglected to speak, valuing her for her presence and all the attention it would attract.

When Gilberto spoke next, Herobrine made no move, but noted the young fool’s ability, “Control?” He understood the word like his own hand, employed it in his thoughts like a son, but more useful, and marched it to war alongside side soldiers most similar, like force and deceit; to his ears, his sharp, aggravating, mind numbing ears, it sounded like some silly imposter drunk on power it had in definition rather than reality. He would ask for more details later, damned if he would ever hear the echo of Calibrena’s sweet and painfully seductive voice; in the Immaterium’s infernal darkness, in the halls of N’jal, he had suffered greatly at those words, “you didn’t ask.”*

Working the scruff of his neck, Herobrine nodded something like amiability, openly letting his black eyes chase the words that passed between Gilberto Di Palerma and the threatening companionby his side. Finally, the time had come to see the holy man speak, Herobrine, wise in his years, spared him neither suspicion nor consideration, and by his righteous boast Herobrine knew nothing worse or better than to ensure him his place. He was eager to learn however, and leaned forward to look and see and hear just what the dwindling lights had created next to buy them time… only time.

Throughout the night, from morning’s rise, and sun’s end, Herobrine’s face had little changed, but when Marcus raised his hand, and in his calloused palm flames were birthed, their light illuminated the lines and crags of Herobrine’s and danced in his eyes as he sat transfixed, for the first time drawn in.

The sounds changed around the room as people became wondrously still, and the shadows fell away to wax deep and seethe with the element. All of this was beyond Herobrine, so deep a want as to leave the old man honest as to his feelings: hopeless desire, he wanted to lay hands on it with every bit of his worn soul. Lawrence for the second wished, Herobrine in the next dismissed, and Marcus snuffed out those flames one swift instant later.

Herobrine laughed for the lights, a tone of respect tactfully laid in admiration of the first power demonstrated and the first among his group who could claim to be useful. “A finer proof than words, no love may be lost or wasted tonight, but the fresh dead will soon find themselves in their proper place.” When Marcus Book followed with the question of beginning, the elder raised his hand with wisdom damn near sagacious. “We’ll start when we’ve decided how best to kill things that refuse to give up their ghosts. It would be a shame to find ourselves out thought by the brain dead.” He believed in plans, he knew existence to be a struggle, though he could not say that life was out to get him in its entirety, should he have ever been moved to be vocal in honesty his first pronouncement would be that the sum of all things was as follows.

Lawrence considered pragmatism the sole purpose of reason, paranoia being its highest form, higher consciousness both an excellent and poor tool for any purpose, and the conservation of resources being paramount. Hence why animals slept and hunted only when necessary, and spent the rest of their time preparing or waiting. The reasoning went as follows:

Accidents can be attributed to several parts, and thought of as axes; the handle lay in the unknown and made up the heft; the head, a variable where the greater the threat the sharper the blade; and beyond that, waiting, laughing, gnawing its coin, and flashing its golden teeth was horned, bedeviled Luck, whose strength was directly proportional to both fate’s caprice and the speed of one’s decision. The only factors that lay with the victim were hope, which kept a body going, and spite, which made a person wrestle with things they could never fully beat… like Luck, who would claim that he let you win… and would be right, or that he meant to hit the poor bastard next to you, to the same effect.

Or as the 39th Mikado of Akashima said at his execution, “The good die young, and I’ve lived a long life because of it.”** This was the philosophy of their self-appointed, and rightfully so, leader, and while he plotted to achieve his own ends, he plotted to save as many pieces for as long as possible, possible ending nowhere near his own neck.

“Now, as I see it, none of you, not one, has mentioned anything along the line of fitness for battle.” While mentioning quirks of power had been interesting, and even entertaining the ability to wield these skills had eluded the point of Herobrine’s instruction. “I’ll assume you all to be fit if nothing else; you’ll assume the same of me. Now.” Setting his mug on the table with a wooden clatter right atop the flyer’s grave.

“Spanning a modest tract of land are the fields lost to the undead,” Herobrine lead them through the sad facts of the enemy, “for whatever reason, Orox was daft enough to bring protection for himself and his pretty toys, but failed to come back from those fields alive. More than that though, is that with their master dead the boys don’t know what to do, anyone who comes near dies, anyone who dies decides to start running around spreading this particular affliction.” The sage looked at his merry crew, and finding them serious, he led on to the land itself.

“We’ll not be getting a choice about luring them out or away, they never leave, and you can imagine what that’s done to the gresdah*** fields. The lands been worked so long it keeps the paths between rows, but the gresdah has grown thick and tall and unruly, farmer’s can’t tend it, and the weather is no aid to a blazing purge,” at this Herobrine passed his consideration over Marcus Book, “if corruption is the only thing your fires burn, you’ll likely find none of it among the trees then,” and to the rest of the group, “in these conditions, I can think of no better solution than not going at all, you see why two groups all the larger than we few perished for the most part.

Make no mistake though, I chose night for the best fact of it all,” the old bastard whispered, grinning as he leaned forward with an energy born from a long tamed eccentricity toward violence, “the dead decay. It’s likely been slowed, but all sights say that they rot, and that means that they have wits and senses in ever decreasing supply. By moonlight, a poor source of the element to our benefit and cost, we’ll be upon them quietly, and render each immobile for later immolation.”

With that said, there were concerns to be addressed, “Age has left me with many things but infirmity of spirit or mind or body, Orris here says she can hear a man give voice celebrant of sweet freedom—as men are won’t to do—and through a wall, at that!" It was impossible to tell which way humor turned or whether it was meant to cut in his groaning laughter. " And what you do best, if that was it,“ He threw an indicatory finger at Marcus, “is light the shadows we need. You don’t strike me as either subtle or fool enough to run into enemy territory calling down the wrath of we know exactly what. Keep that in mind when I ask the next question.” In his estimations, he overlooked the third member of their party, by any estimation he would be useful. Giving a sigh, a leaning back to set his hands on his stomach, he let loose his next charge, “Anybody have a problem with what’s about to go down?”

*A minor venture in Lawrence's early life involving multiple levels of the Immaterium or Anti-firmament. Having been contracted by the equivalent of a demon god, Lawrence with the aid of Drago and Lorenor suffered greatly so that a a girl**** might receive the full destructive power for a hefty fee and the threat of incredible and immediate death from/at her father's hands. The particular instant where Lawrence lost all faith in the infernal involved a grievous wound to personal pride, the loss of an arm, and interpretive dance. Do not laugh, never laugh, no matter how ridiculous a situation, Lawrence took it badly.

**Ka Ogen died at the ripe age of seventy-nine, he had taken office when he was twelve, and survived on nothing but his own publicized will and the meat daily harvested from live cows. From puberty onward, 10, there was not a week gone by of some rumored and usually true debauchery. While in face, form, deed, and thought, he was the endearing object of hatred known across the land, he was possessed of one redeeming quality, his forever perfect hair. He has since been canonized as the patron saint of fiends, having survived two revolutions, and a number of assassination attempts which proved that nothing is fair. The quote upon which he is quoted is speculated to have been a code word for rescue, either he misspoke upon the chopping block, or the executioner knew better than to search his soul before sending another to hell.

***Gresdah, flora found in warmer climates. This flora is a stalk baring tuber whose roots actively draw nutrients from the earth and then ferment, the stalk itself is a light orange shade with numerous nettles protruding from branches, these nettles are rather soft, but have been known to inflict powerful fevers and inflammation of the face on those with even minor allergic reactions to pollen. Its main use is after being processed to the point of being both poisonous and delicious, hence why it makes excellent anesthesia and children sometimes steal and chew the stems, its suspected to be a powerful sterillant however in its raw form. The friendly, local barony has been working to suppress these rumors and mass market the crops. They are succeeding. The rumors are true.

****BITCH
    Last edited by Knave; 05-23-11 at 05:01 AM.

— Gustav St. Germain

GP

Name
    Rhiannon Marie Orris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blonde
    Eye Color
    Gray/Blue
    Build
    5'10"/ 120 lbs
    Job

Gilberto's sudden outburst of vocal power made Rhiannon act like any typical person would. Surprised, and looking at him oddly because she was expecting him to speak casually as the others. Her keen sense were keen indeed, but she was still human. As the same reaction to a dog when you yell in his ear, they look at you thinking 'was that necessary?' "Welcome, Gilberto. Its an honor to have you." Control?

The woman's senses were by no means a source of magic, but a source of science. The Technocratic Union were very wise and took much thought into making her senses much keener, and keeping out any flaw if possible. Much like a radio, her hearing was structured with a built in auto tuner. When things were really loud, her body was at work. Her eardrum was scientifically developed to handle far away sounds as it was close, meaning when Gilberto tested her hearing with a sudden outburst of sound, it went auto pilot, tuning her hearing down so that it wouldn't be overwhelmed. Whether it was the sound of a gunshot was a whole different story. Immediately her eardrums would rupture, like most people, and that is when her designed healing factor would come into play.

As for these men's powers, Gilberto's left her kind of in the air, but Book's, now he had an astonishing power that shes never witnessed before. Her eyes widened slightly as the fire remained a lustrous reflection in her beautiful eyes. Wonder struck her, making her overly active brain ignite with ideas, theories, and mathematical equations. Though she didn't realize her brain had calculated this all at once, all she knew is that it just didn't seem possible, at all. But what you could see, was it not real? Rhiannon wanted to reach out and touch this fire, feeling it wouldn't harm her, but her strong will kept her content with just looking at it. Curiosity had charmed the cat, and she looked the man over. “How.. did you do that?” she asked mystically. Did the Union lie? Did magic truly exist, or was it just this world, Althanas? Would she one day be capable of magic as well?

No, there is no Magic! Only science, Agent Orris. Magic, mystical creatures, and religion are all myth by man. Science is the answer to everything.

Then why? ….

The zone only last a few moments before she blinked and looked around at everyone. It was probably for the better that she let the over full pool of her thoughts go for the time being. Her headache which seemed like nothing started to throb a little bit. Maybe she pushed herself a little too far listening past everything and through a wall to hear the man pissing on a tree. This wasn't the first time its happened.

Meanwhile, while Herobrine explained the situation and their plans, Rhiannon gave the old bastard the benefit of the doubt, leaving her inputs and remarks out as he spoke. Always yapping her jaws would be quite stereotypical for her being a female, for they were known for doing it. Rhiannon wasn't like the rest, she was different in many ways, but in many ways the same.

When the old gentlemen, understatement, was finished and asking what they thought of the plan, she finally helped herself to speak. "Sounds like we have ourselves a plan. I'll be listening in so we're not ambushed by surprise."
    Last edited by Rhiannon; 05-23-11 at 04:44 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast