EXP: 23,049, Level: 6
    Level completed: 44%, EXP required for next level: 3,951
    Level completed: 44%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,951
    GP

Name
    stupid requirement

August Vignette

In the reboot of the Vignettes, let’s do something not so very complicated.

You have been given an all expenses paid vacation to anywhere on Althanas that you want to visit. You may take one (1) or two (2) people with you. Where do you go? What do you do? All fun and games or a working vacation? Give me the greatest vacation story ever!

Ready, set, goooo!

(Edit: changed the number of people you can take along)
    Last edited by Jasmine; 08-11-11 at 02:38 AM.

EXP: 6,572, Level: 3
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 2,428
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,428
    GP

Name
    Jack Frost
    Race
    Salvarian
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Teal
    Build
    about 6' 1"/ 120 pounds
    Job
    Sell Sword

Jack sighed as the smell of the sea assaulted his nose. Two weeks ago he and the love of his live, Jenna Gale, had been unified in elven matrimony. Both were the happiest they had been, Jack having completed his training to become a keeper of knowledge for his elven tribe was given permission to go wherever he wanted with his new wife for their harvest-moon, an Elven marriage tradition where the newlyweds went on a vacation and consummated their marriage, a lot.

Jenna had begged him to take her to Radasanth. She had pleaded and begged, she had even resorted to several things her very promiscuous sister had taught. After two nights she had won her cold blooded husband over with a move her sister called "the fire starter". They had approached Radasanth, and then Jack immediately realized why Jenna had wanted to come so badly. Floating above all of the hustle and bustle of the capital and it's inhabitants was an airship. On it in big brass letter was it's name, The S.S pleasure.

Three hours later Jenna and Jack were entering their room. Jack set down and threw his pack into a corner and plopped down on the only bed in the room. His wife kicked the door closed and smiled. Jack looked up, brushing his silver hair out of his face. His teal eyes locked with her emerald eyes. She strutted forward to Jack and joined him on the bed. Her warm lips meeting his stone cold ones in a tender kiss. She pulled away, brushing her blonde hair out of her face. "I love you Jenna" Jack muttered, his breath emerging his mouth in a fog. "I'm going to show you what my sister taught me this entire cruise" She muttered her lips barely an inch away from his. He grinned. "I look forward to it."

Harvest-Moons, Jack would later write in his biography, "Jack Frost, The elf who wasn't really an elf" were possibly the greatest idea ever created, ever.
    Crowded streets all cleared away
    One by One
    Hollow heroes separate
    As they run

You're so cold
    Keep your hand in mine
    Wise men wonder while
    Strong men die

Crimson Matriarch
    EXP: 30,051, Level: 7
    Level completed: 39%, EXP required for next level: 4,949
    Level completed: 39%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,949
    GP

Name
    Ruby Winchester
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11"/139lbs

View Profile
    “When you said you were going to take me on a luxurious barge along the sparkling river of tomorrow, this was not what I had in mind Leopold.” Ruby said churlishly, her overdressed corsage and regal boat gown sticking out like a sore thumb on the murky banks of the Attireyi. It was only by the virtue of the large parasol that shielded her from the burning sun of the Fallien desert that she had not fainted under the duress of her many excessive layers of clothing.

Leopold chuckled, his simple white shirt and brown slacks lose and airy on his well-fed girth. If he was going to spend such a lavish amount of the proceeds hard earned in the service of the Queen of Scara Brae solely on his wife’s happiness, he was sure going to have some fun doing so. Though sparkling, the Attireyi possessed the curious quality of the rivers of Corone; thick, sluice like and polluted, yet always catching the glory of the midday sun to cast itself in a more favourable light.

“You look quite resplendent, my dear. Worry not about the setting, think only of the destination.” He pushed down on the long barge pole and the long gondola continued its slow advance north, to the secret rendezvous of husband and wife in a foreign land. Leopold had been so weary of attempting such romantic gestures so soon after their travels. They had suffered considerable financial hardships in the months running up to their engagement as the Queen’s spies in the Empire’s attempts to curtail a new army from the hordes of refugees fleeing Raiaera.

He glanced up at the sky as a flock of crows, or perhaps distant vultures circling for their souls continued their cycle overhead. The heat wetted his brow and he stopped the gruelling task of propelling their vessel along the gentle waves to run a wad of cloth over his forehead. Given his perspiration, calloused hands and aching back, he was starting to wonder if his wife was worth all the trouble.

“You would have only complained if I’d allowed you to get onto the gondola in anything other than your wedding best.” Which was true enough the red headed passenger had to agree. There was no woman more scorned than Ruby Winchester without the right heels. “Relax; sip your drink and prepare your thank you speech for when we arrive.”

He pushed down on the pole once more, and the gondola kicked into a forward surge, splitting the river’s surface into two foamy waves. Though he had secured passage on a fine merchant vessel from Scara Brae to Ikkaram’s Outsider Quarters for the first part of their journey, the small needle like gondola was the only ship docked in the city that they could source for the time needed. Every other sea worthy vessel it appeared was descending south, to the zenith of the spawning season. They had watched in amazement as near three hundred Fallien vessels had crested over the horizon and onwards to the breeding tides of the delicacy known as Polestar Salmon.

They both promised to try some in one of the fine cafes upon their return.

Ruby shrugged her shoulders in defeat. Her position at the centre of the gondola afforded her the luxury of not having to look at her husband’s gruelling form, whilst retaining a good view of the left and right banks. She traced tall cacti and dagger like rocks to the west, a vast band of geology dividing the safer south from the harsh reality of the fabled north lands. To the east, a vast mountain range veered over the horizon. Her knowledge of Fallien was meagre at best, but she knew the sight of the Zaileya without needing to have been told. An ancestral memory sparked a wave of déj* vu in the spell singer.

“Have you been here before, my love?” She half turned her head to project her voice over her shoulder, but cocked it back to sip from the diamanté cut glass tumbler to avoid having to turn fully. It was a graceful movement, but Leopold knew his wife too well to think any less of her for not wanting to see him like he was.

“Me? Heavens no, though my trading has touched these shores I’ve never set foot on the island in the flesh.” His silk and sausage and many business adventures kept a smell of home in the hovels and villas of Ikkaram’s foreigners. In return, he sourced what precious spices he could to line the pockets of the Winchester household and spice up the cooking of the noble kitchens of Scara Brae.

A breeze swept up from the south that invigorated Ruby’s growing fatigue. She tried to remain composed in the heat, but soon tired of keeping up appearances. With a clink, she set her gin and its sweet almond aroma onto the small low table to her right and sat up on her knees in a flurry of material. She did not ask for permission, nor did she warn her husband to look dutifully away. In one quick tug, she pulled off the over layer of her dress, and the shawl and the sash and pushed it forwards into the prow of the gondola.

“Then neither of us will cause offence to Fallien’s strange traditions by breaking our own,” she looked over her shoulder finally, and winked with a coy smile at Leopold. When she saw the sweat marks dripping from his pits through the white shirt, she restrained her shudder before returning to her seat. She admired her under dress, which was still a fashionable hauteur top with a low cut back. The nomads of Fallien and the desert traders would not know the difference between clothing and night ware, which Ruby’s attire now straddled a fine line between.

“You still look fabulous, and just in time for us to land,” Leopold gave the pole one last hefty downward thrust and pushed it to one side to turn the gondola towards the western shore.

Ruby scanned the shore excitedly, expecting some strange temple or expansive villa to retreat to for the remainder of their vacation. Through the glimmer of sunlight, and the wavering heat of the mirage riddled horizon, all she saw was a small square marque in simple purple silk and a barely visible low trestle table nestled beneath it. The long beach that formed a perfect harbour for their low vessel was a strip of golden sand, much finer than the course dunes of the desert, but even with such beauty Ruby could not help but feel let down.

“What is this, Leopold?” She said inquisitively, downing the rest of her gin. As the slice of lime clashed with her teeth, she nibbled it to remind her of the sour nature of fate and expectation.

The gondola rocked as it pushed up the shore, and the crunch of soft wet sand was followed by the splash of heavy working boots into the shallow tide. Leopold walked up the left side of the boat and held out his hand for his wife to take. Though smiling, Ruby could not help but feel like he had been plotting this for far too long. She took it dutifully and he helped her walk to the tip of the gondola and down with a small, feminine leap onto the dry and welcoming sand of Fallien’s wilderness.

The flaps of the marque whipped to and fro in the wind which seared across the Attireyi without care or thought for the inhabitants of Jya’s lands. The side facing the river was opened up, it’s two halves tied with white satin ties to the rigid supports. The other three walls were firmly tied down, forming a small chamber set with overhanging lanterns of etched brass and star shapes. It mimicked the cafes and shisha bars they had frequented the prior evening, though without the unwashed masses and drunken miners spilling their ales over the unpolished floors.

“Do you remember my dear,” he started to walk towards the tent, letting his wife’s grasp slip from his fingers so that he walked unhindered by her uncertainty. “The first time we met?”

She struggled to recall, but finally arrived at a suitable point in that eventful evening. It was far too long ago for her to give a number of years, months and days, but it was a special evening indeed.

“I told you I wished to see every land known to the people of Althanas. I told you,” she stepped forwards, the stiletto of her heels sinking into the wet sand to make her advance difficult, “that I wanted to see them all with you.” Pieces fell together nicely, and the picture on the surface of the puzzle that Ruby looked at was very pleasant indeed.

“We were waylaid by war, misfortune, business and turmoil.” He ducked to enter the tent and wove through the overhanging illuminations, his height and girth hefty and monstrous in the smallholding. “I did not forget, however, so let this be the start of a grand adventure to show the Winchesters to the world,” he pulled the pile of cushions back from the Akashiman oak table and gestured for his wife to sit.
    She knelt regally and tucked her legs to one side, as if she were riding the waves of comfort side-saddle. As Leopold sat opposite, she traced the outline of the many curious items set on the table in front of her. At the back of her mind, addled by the smell of salt and the leering heat that pierced even the cooling shade, she wondered how he had managed to import such a table all this way. She was beginning to understand what Duffy meant by ‘Leopold is a man of many means’.

“Help yourself to whatever takes your fancy,” he mumbled, already pouring two glasses of sweet smelling wine into two tall gold rimmed glasses. Their stems were twists of amber glass, etched with sigils and ancient runes Ruby recognised as Raiera song notes.

Her shaking fingers reached instinctively for the ripe and crunchy pears set on a small platter at the centre of the table. Though there were many other fruits amongst them, she had heard Lillith talk lovingly about Akashima’s native treat that she could not pass up the opportunity to try one for herself. Even as she bit into the harsh skin, she already decided to try the date syrup next, followed by the ice cubes sprinkled with ginger wine from Salvar’s Knife’s Edge peak that Leopold no doubt kept cold through the providence of his strange sorcery. The juice from the pear finally broke through the sour skin, juxtaposing disgust with a twinkle of delight in her girly eyes.

“You’ve not only promised to show me the world, Leopold.” She set the half pear onto the empty porcelain plate in front of her, and continued to eat it with a more civilised application of a sharp knife and a serving fork. All the many utensils arranged around the plate were of the finest quality of Fallien silver, embedded with small flecks of magically spun glass in too many colours to name. “You’ve brought the world right here to show me in person. You’ve done all this as a precursor…”

Leopold smiled and held out the glass.

“If I said my beautiful wife did not deserve it, I would send myself to the depths of hell in shame.”

Ruby was not easily flattered, but now she blushed. Her cheeks turned redder than even the most crimson strands of her hair, which glowed in the faint light of the candles burning overhead.

“To an adventure,” she tipped her glass forwards.

“To a honeymoon we should have had a decade ago,” Leopold toasted.

They downed the first draught of the hedonistic wine in one swift gulp, and both chuckled as the sweet tasting fortified brew rolled down their throats like an avalanche and pushed their enjoyment of Fallien’s rugged landscape into a new and lofty height of enjoyment.

The world was there for the Winchester’s to take, and Leopold and Ruby had every intention of taking it without reservation.

Hand of Virtue
    EXP: 87,799, Level: 12
    Level completed: 84%, EXP required for next level: 2,201
    Level completed: 84%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,201
    GP

Name
    Artemis Eburi
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown and Gray
    Eye Color
    Piercing Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Smith

Artemis grabbed the massive mug-shaped door to the Norlond Forge and slid it open like a beer along a bar. A wave of heat instantly struck him as it always did, the warmth of the forge contrasting with the cold bite of Salvaran air.

"Bazzak, are you around?" Artemis called, hoping that the dwarf would permit his request.

Stepping out from the back room was a dwarf covered in black soot, his neat short hair a rust color. He took a rag and wiped the soot from his chin, exposing a clean-shaven face except for an impressive mustache that matched the color of his hair.

"Looks like you've been busy," Artemis said. He had noticed that the denser the layer of soot, the harder the dwarf had been working.

"I've been working on a special project for a friend of mine. It's turning into more trouble than it's worth, but I'm not one to give up."

Artemis, watching the dwarf continue to clean up, felt that there'd be no other time than now to make his request. "Bazzak, I've been thinking about taking a week or two... or three... off. I want to take a trip to Corone, maybe visit my father. Will you be okay without me?"

Bazzak looked at Artemis as if confused before bursting out in laughter. "Artemis, I'm a dwarf in a forge. If that's not enough, I'm middle-aged, and for a dwarf, that's saying something. Don't worry about me or Nalin – he and I can manage the forge just fine without you. We keep you here because we like you, not because we need you." He winked and turned, walking toward the back room and shouting over his shoulder. "Of course, I appreciate the concern, but take all the time you need, lad. There'll always be room for you here."

"So I'll see you in a few weeks then?" Artemis called after Bazzak, but it was too late. The dwarf had already gone back to work and there was no way to pull him away from it again. With that, Artemis took his leave.

Artemis did intend to head to Corone, but not to visit his father –not entirely, at least. He recently had a brief correspondence with a monk of the Citadel, seeking permission to use one of the rooms for training purposes. The monk had granted usage, but time would be limited. A tournament or sorts would be held on the Citadel's grounds and there would not be any excess capacity to spare for training purposes, and so he had to leave immediately.

The trip to the Citadel, expedited by the teleportation magic of Artemis' magical friend named Daros, left the young man anxious to begin his training. His recently acquired ability to speak openly with his sentient bow Judicis left him with a feeling of inadequacy. He had only the simplest skill in using a bow and knew that in order to maximize the potential of his powerful weapon he would need to develop his abilities.

Upon his arrival, the monk he had written to greeted him. He wore a dark robe that left all but his hands and head uncovered. His eyes looked warm and shaped like almonds, his skin a soft coral color. His old age seemed to have robbed him of his hair, but he did not seem to mind. "I've been waiting for you." The monk's voice was raspy from decades of use yet retained its welcoming tone.

"Thank you again for allowing me this opportunity. It's too kind of you."

"Please, please – the Citadel exists to be used. Empty rooms are wasted rooms. Now, let me show you the way." He gestured for Artemis to follow as he turned and began shuffling toward the stone steps of the Citadel. Within minutes, they had made their way inside the massive stone structure and found their way to Artemis' personal room. "Just think of what you need and it will manifest within these walls. I have arranged quarters for you to use by the infirmary and you are welcome to the eatery at your leisure. I hope you find this satisfactory."

"I'm sure it will be perfect. Thank you again so much," Artemis said, bowing graciously to the monk. The monk smiled and bowed slightly, careful not to hurt his back, and then resumed his shuffling steps.

'I suppose we should get started,' Artemis thought.

Judicis overheard the thought and interjected unexpectedly. 'Yes, I do hope you remember what we discussed. You can make the arena as comfortable as you'd like, but be sure to allow yourself ample concentration and the equipment we need.'

Artemis nodded, stepping through the door and into the world he had spent days envisioning. Instantly, the dark and cold stone of the Citadel fell away and was replaced with a natural beauty untainted by human intervention. He stood on an open plateau of a mountainside from which you could see a beautiful array of autumn colors as the forestry prepared for the coming winter. A bluff nearby glistened with the mist that stuck to it as a pair of waterfalls combined as they fell into a crystal-like pool deep below. The air tasted sweet as the flora from beside the small pond drifted through the air and rose along the side of the mountain, slowly rising along the side until it reached the cold peaks far above, letting the snow taste a bit of life.

Artemis took a deep breath and looked around. Different targets, some moving and some idle, stood in particular positions upon the plateu. Beside him stood a quiver that, if imagined correctly, would never run out of arrows; the targets, similarly, would never deteriorate in quality or need repair. Here, Artemis would train with Judicis as the sentient spirit guided him in improving his skill sufficiently so that archery would be a reasonable alternative in dangerous situations. His vacation, though in an unquestionably beautiful location, would still be work.

"Good thing I'm a quick learner," Artemis said to no one in particular.
    Last edited by SirArtemis; 08-16-11 at 06:55 PM.
    2011 Althy Winner - Most Realistic Character
    2016 Althy Winner - Best Contributor & Player of the Year (tie)

Artemis Eburi Wiki Page
    Current Character Profile

Solo Quests:
    Hidden Beneath The Canopy (75)
    Lost Loot of Lornius (74)

EXP: 2,720, Level: 2
    Level completed: 24%, EXP required for next level: 2,280
    Level completed: 24%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,280
    GP

A Kitty Wonderland

It was a cool day when the letter fell through the mail slot. The sun was low, rising early in the morning. Gale snored loudly while Faust raised his head, alerted by the noise. Faust stood up and stretched his front paws out. As his claws retracted the sheet slid slightly off Gale, who pulled it back over himself while grumbling.

“Noooo, you’re just not my type… I don’t like dwarves,” Gale mumbled in his sleep as Faust nimbly maneuvered off the bed. His feline shape coasted slowly down the hall of the small apartment. A pungent scent wafted from the thin white letter. Faust made his way over to it and sniffed inquisitively at it. He nuzzled at its side and flipped it over.

The letter had a picture on the side that Faust looked at. There were castles and parks, waterslides and restaurants. And to each of the attractions, cats were walking with their masters. Faust’s eyes lit up as he scanned the picture, its message clear. Faust bit the side of the envelope and took it with him as he galloped back down the hall to his sleeping friend. Faust jumped from the threshold of the room to the bed and dropped the letter on Gale’s chest, moving fluidly around, sitting at his side. Faust looked at him expectantly. Faust nudged at Gales shoulder with his nose. Gale groaned and shifted to the other side. Faust sniffed at Gale nervously.

“Dammit, gimme five more minutes…” Gale swatted at Faust trying to get the cat to give up. After being slapped a couple of times Faust staggered and looked offended. Giving up hopes of a subtle solution, Faust edged a little farther from Gale. He dropped close to the bed, and shifted his lower body from side to side, preparing to pounce. Gale turned back over and Faust made his move.

Down in the streets of Radasanth the people of the city began their days: the mail carriers making their rounds, the cabbies making their first pick-ups of the day, and the horse-drawn carriages making their early rounds delivering produce. But not a single living creature could continue with their business as an unsettling and stomach churning scream came from the first apartment on the street, everyone looking up in unison.

“What? I’m awake! What was so important you had to maul me?!” Gale yelled rolling off the bed onto the floor. Faust moved over to the edge of the bed giving Gale a head cocked look of satisfaction. He motioned to the letter still attached to Gale’s chest. Peeling the letter off and opening it Gale stared at Faust with a quiet contempt made progressively louder with the multiple curses he muttered under his breath.

Greetings esteemed friends!
    You are cordially invited to join the many others like you at our exclusive society.
    We are aware of your unique tastes and preferences and can promise they will all be met!
    There is no other place like ours and no promise as binding as this:
    you will unreservedly and completely fulfill all your deepest desires and cravings here.
    So come, join your kindred spirits, and cavort in the vivacious and voluptuous nature of all we have to offer!
    Pussy Land awaits!

This letter is your all expense paid pass to a land of dream and merriment.
    All humans accompanying their feline hosts will be taken care of at the day care.

Gale’s eyes grew wide as he read. I TOTALLY deserve this! Gale thought to himself as he read. He read as far as “all expense paid,” and was running out the door, with Faust at his heels. The two of them ran to the nearest docks. A large elegant cruise ship was waiting for anyone with a letter of admission. Gilded with gold and painted a regal purple, the ship screamed rich and powerful. Even the sails shined in the sun, their silk fabric lined with gold. There was not an aspect of the ship that lacked a noble flare. Gale handed his rolled up letter to the man at the entrance ramp. He walked up gleaming with a childlike excitement and wonder. Faust walked ahead of him inspecting the whole ship. Enthralled with their new environments the drifters took full advantage of the lavish delicacies that surrounded them. They let themselves be pampered as the ship sailed calmly to their destination. To Gale, it was a land of pleasure and lust. To Faust, it was a utopia of fun, food and excitement.

The ship made port on an island to the far east of Corone. The island was small, but well endowed with natural beauty. A beautiful golden beach greeted the visitors as they made their way from the cruise ship. Little life boats, four people on each, unloaded the passengers. No one could see past the tall oaken trees except to see a couple of large mountains on the far side of the island.

The crew waited at the beach with the passengers until a guide appeared at the threshold of the forest. The man stood tall with thin dark hair slicked back perfectly. He wore a collared shirt under a vest and suit jacket and although he seemed to traverse the island frequently, his appearance did not show it – his clothing remained immaculate. He had very little muscle to speak of, leaving his entire form thin and skeletal. His clothing hugged his form tightly while his expression remained blank and emotionless. He waited for everyone to gather in front of him, no one saying much.

“Right this way,” he said with a somber and calm voice.

Gale did not talk to the other passengers; he was too busy fantasizing about all that awaited him. Faust moved quickly and deliberately, making sure to keep ahead of everyone. His tail wagged briskly with each step.

As they walked further into the forest, Gale started to pay a little more attention to the people around him and noticed men and women of various ages. There appeared to be nothing that they had in common. They walked until it seemed like they were just walking to the middle of nowhere.

Gale continued to look around until he had realized that he had never looked past their waists. There they were, dozens of cats: all of them different colors and sizes, all kinds of different breeds. Some of them looked more like strange mutants, others like bizarre aliens, but all of them feline in nature. Before the realization could sink in, he saw an opening in the brush.

No… he thought to himself as he picked up his pace, passing by Faust and the guide leading the group. No no no no no no no! He thought as he turned his walk into a run.

“Sir, please stay with the group.” The guide said instructing Gale as he ran by, but he was not listening.

As Gale approached the opening the light coming from it seemed to get brighter and brighter. He passed the threshold and what he saw he almost could not comprehend. There stood statues of cats, in the most regal and pompous positions.

Humans walked around in ridiculous outfits and served various delicacies, from a succulent steak, to a well cooked chicken; just about any kind of food could be found. There were all kinds of different rides and attractions throughout the park. At the entrance stood a big black gate ordained with many intricate and ornate designs. Most were of cats exuding dominance over humans.

Gale stood motionless as more of the group caught up to him. The people were filed in to the left while the cats moved on ahead and were allowed into the park.

“No… It’s not fair…” Gale whispered softly. His eyes began to tear up as his fantasies went up in flames before his eyes.

“Sir, if you act out like that again we will have you removed.” The lone guide said sternly as he walked slowly past Gale, whose mouth was open and eyes were wide with despair.

Gale could do nothing but watch as the humans were carted off into a small grey facility. Faust stood at the front of the line waiting for the gates to open. When he realized Gale was not there, he looked around nervously and moved left and right. He finally saw Gale standing at the forest line and recognized the expression.
    Gale focused at last, to meet Faust’s gaze. The two looked at each other, understanding everything without any need for words (Not that Faust could talk anyway).

I knew you wouldn’t leave me buddy, for all your tough love, you really are my best friend, Gale thought as he looked compassionately at Faust and smiled.

The gate swung open and in less than a second Faust was gone. Gale stood there with a stupid grin and a dead look in his eyes. For a moment he could not move, but only a moment. As soon as he could, he ran full speed at the now swung open gate.

Before he could get to the gate he was stopped by three Kitten Guards. He looked down at them, no bigger than his feet, and smiled. The one in the middle was orange, with white stripes going down its whole body. Its tail was a little shorter than the others’ and one ear stuck out from under the hat. The kitten on its left was black, with white paws and a white tip on its tail. The one on right was grey, with little black spots all over.

“Meow?” the kitten in the middle cried as it stepped forward. The kittens wore little guard hats that were a little too big. They had black rubber boots that hugged their little kitty paws.

“Aww,” he said, tilting his head to the side “how cu~” he was interrupted.

The adorable three kittens started to growl. They slowly began to change shape, their cute kitty features replaced with vicious bloodthirsty qualities shared by demons. Their fur singed off quickly as they grew in size. Their snouts grew longer and wider, their teeth grew three times in length. Their bones made awful cracking sounds as they detached and re-attached. The muscles of the three cats grew in size exponentially. They retained their original hue and little guard hats: but Gale stood before three ferocious and deadly beasts that growled and hissed, expectantly.

Gale shuddered as the orange one bent down and hissed inches from his face. He could feel the fiery breath of the demon cat and it burned. The other two moved in around him, as he began to shake.

Faust climbed into a small car at the front of a roller-coaster. The safety harness made its slow decent making a dull mechanical click at every stage. It fastened slowly around Faust who waited in sweet anticipation. The harness clicked into place, securely locking Faust into his seat.

Faust let out an endearing Meow as the roller-coaster car slowly began to move. From his seat, though he paid no attention, the big black entrance gate could be seen. And as other cats moved past that spot, they all took notice of three large demon cats brutally beating a human – who screamed in an indescribable agony.

“I warned you,” the guide said, back at the facility for humans as Gale was thrown in. Bleeding and beaten, Gale crawled to a chair, and dragged himself into it.

“I’m gonna kill that damn cat…” Gale uttered as he slipped into a pain and blood-loss induced coma. When he awoke he was served a revolting grey gruel, like the other humans. He looked at it, and then to the food the servers carried in the park. But before he could speak the grey demon cat bent down and hissed. He cringed at the foul breath, taking the gruel and stuffing as much of it in his mouth as he could.

“Delicious!” he mumbled with a full mouth, spraying some of the gruel out. The cat cringed in disgust and lumbered off.

Faust sat in the first seat of the roller-coaster. As each twist and turn went by, his heart leaped for joy. He made his way from ride to ride, always first, and always with the closest thing to a smile a cat could make. He spent the whole day eating and drinking, indulging in the very finest of kitty luxuries. He was on top of the world, a king among kitty kings.
    Last edited by Captain on the Wind; 08-29-11 at 10:39 PM.
    Take my love.
    Take my land.
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care,
    I'm still free.
    You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black.
    Tell'em I ain't comin' back.
    Burn the land
    And boil the sea.
    You can't take the sky from me.

If there is the slimmest chance, no matter how small, you have to go for it. Never give up hope. That's what it means to be an outlaw. That's what it meas to be free.

EXP: 300, Level: 1
    Level completed: 15%, EXP required for next level: 1,700
    Level completed: 15%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,700
    GP

Have you ever found yourself sitting in a room full of children? Have you ever found yourself suddenly without those children? Have you ever found yourself not knowing what exactly you were going to do for the rest of the day?

These thoughts attacked my head like the great hail storm of Berevar almost a decade ago. Normally, I would be running a daycare for my incompetent grandson (What kind of father leaves his children to his grandmother while he gallivants around all day?). Today, however, my great-granddaughter, Kyla had decided to take a trip with all of the kids under my care. I had made sure to get permission slips from all the parents allowing their little angels to go on this field trip of sorts. However, I knew my old bones could not take a long journey, and so I decided to stay behind and tidy up Ixian Castle while I finally had a moments rest.

The strange thing was, it seemed as though the castle had people specifically tasked with keeping the place clean. Maybe Sei was not a complete fool, it just took him twenty-six years to realize what a nice house is supposed to look like. I carefully walked down the spiral staircase leading to one of the many large rooms in the castle, dragging a single finger against the cold stone walls as I did so. By the time I had reached the base of the stairs, I found my finger to be without a speck of dust. I sighed at my washed finger, wondering just how many people were on the payroll for doing something Sei should have been doing himself.

I made my way to the kitchen, passing several people along the way. I had a lovely talk with that sweet Ambrose lad, set up a time for that delightful Lagh'ratham, and even had to hold onto the ear of Mister Zerith for using a swear word in the presence of a lady. Honestly, how are people like that even among the highest ranks of this army? Such foul language in a castle with such nice people, it makes an old lady wonder why someone like Miss Remi is not around anymore to teach these people some decent etiqutte. When I arrived I found myself alone once again, so I made my way to the back of the large cafeteria, straight towards the refrigerator.

I opened the door and removed the orange juice labeled 'GRAN-GRAN' in giant letters. With all the caffine and whatnot the youth of today drink, I always made sure to squeeze my own oranges every morning to keep that poison out of my system. I found a glass in one of the cupboards and poured myself a drink, slowly making my way back upstairs while greeting everyone who passed by me. I soon arrived to a vivd vision of the sun setting in the horizon, the trees of Concordia forest wurrounding the image in a way that made the giant yellow orb seem like its own star in one of my drama plays. I sat in a chair, resting my hand and juice in the arm of the chair. With my free hand, I pulled out my dentures and reclined back. I could have sworn that I heard a foreign type of relaxing music playing somewhere down the halls.

I sighed, but it was a good sigh, one of a person who was at peace with the world. All day today, I did not have any children needing to be cleaned up, no fights needing to be mediated, and no idiotic grandsons needing advice. I fell asleep in front of the projector displaying the sunset that day. When I would wake up the next day, it would be some the most peaceful time I have had for years....

EXP: 5,070, Level: 3
    Level completed: 2%, EXP required for next level: 3,930
    Level completed: 2%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,930
    GP

Name
    'Ash' John Shelby
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown, but graying
    Eye Color
    Light brown
    Build
    6'0'', 215 lbs
    Job
    The Dungeon Master

"There Is A Lesson To Be Learned, Randal,"

Twenty-three year old Randal Varren's hands were trembling as his eyes scanned the letter that lay before him. He had heard of the Trap Master, the sadistic voyeur who set his victims up with 'lessons' that were supposed to enlighten them to truths about themselves. He stood in his boxers; green vertical striped that intersected with horizontal reds, shivering from a mix of terror and arctic temperature of the room. He had been sweating, he could feel the frozen beads sprinkled about his blonde mop top, an indication that he had been in this chilly environment for quite a while. His eyes continued to read the letter, unsure about his chances of survival.

"This cold represents the icy heart you have shown your wife over the past few months. You thought nobody would see what you were doing at those later hours of the night? Someone was watching you sneak out of your house, go to the local taverns. Not every girl you hit on will take you back to her house, Randal, some girls get paid much more than your meager salary could afford to bring you to me instead. The cold air has probably not alerted you to the chain link located in the one spot you value the most. The chain is frozen directly to your privates, and while you possess the strength to remove the links, you will most likely never be able to use your lower extremities for pleasure again. Your alternative is to die here, alone. Act quickly, because the cold of the room will grow increasingly cooler until your body dies of hypothermia."

Randal clutched the paper tightly, the parchment shattering between his hands as he let out an exasperated yell. Looking down, the womanizer saw that the text from the shattered letter were true, wrapped around his member was a chain with about four inch links, attached to the floor and frozen completely to his crotch. He wiggled his hips a bit, trying to shimmy the device off, to no avail. He then tried running as far back as the chain would allow, the links pulling roughly on the man and sending him falling to the ground with a yelp. He stood up, the ice-like metal floor causing his skin to discolor already. He took some heavy breaths, each making a puff of large white smog, and grabbed the links of the chain. He could feel each of his digits as they began to stick to the steel links as well. Giving one final scream, Randal pulled on the chain as hard as he could...

....The chain collapsed to the ground, a lump of cloth still attached to it. Randal followed suit, collapsing to the ground and holding himself. He could feel the blood slowly pouring out of his system, the liquid slowly crystallizing to its own crimson ice. He looked up to see that a door had opened, the rays of sun shining in through the entry. Randal forcefully removed his hands from the chain, leaving some of his flesh on the links as a souvenir to the torture device. He slowly crawled towards the exit, one hand on what was left of his manhood the other crawling its way towards the door. His body grew warmer with all the inches he managed to pull his body towards. Finally, the man had found himself outside of the previously locked room, a fit of laughing overtaking the man.

He could feel the hot sand below him, the suns warm rays upon his body. He had survived the Trap Masters deadly game, a victory that so few could tout. Soon, his laughter seemed to cease, and his body began to twitch. Something was wrong, this should not have been happening. He had learned his lesson!

He heard feet crunching on the sand, his eyes shifting to meet a pair of black heels. He moved his gaze up the jeans that hugged the slender legs beneath them. Her blue T-shirt hid her moderately sized bosom quite well, and by the time his green orbs had seen her tanned face, tears began to roll down Randal Varren's eyes.

"Hello Randal," she spoke in a seductive tone, leaning down to his paralyzed body, "I assume your body's already shutting down, going through system shock. I'm surprised you made it out of there alive. Figured you would have frozen to death rather than sacrifice 'Lil Randal'." Her voice carried a sort of bitterness to them when she described his nickname for the organ. She spit on him, her saliva trailing down his cheek in a slow fashion.

"Sarahatii....” he whispered, the pangs in his stomach not yet unbearable enough to cease talking, "Wha....are you...." As if she expected the answer, Sarahatii Varren reached into the pocket of her jeans, taking a folded piece of paper out and unfolding it. She cleared her throat a bit.

"Hello Mrs. Varren, There Is A Lesson To Be Learned,

You have no explanation for the disease you have. It is making you weak, causing coughing fits, and your husband now seems more occupied with work than with taking care of you. I am afraid to inform you that you have contracted something rather incurable by medical standards. You will wither away and die soon, and it is the fault of one Randal Varren. Your husband has been seeing other women, which has caused him to become a carrier for the sickness you now suffer. Normally, my lessons involve a lot more pain and suffering, but you will be going through enough of that soon enough. In lieu of enlightenment, I leave you a gift with this letter, and an address. Good luck Mrs. Varren, and may the Thaynes have mercy on you."

As she finished the letter, her eyes filled with tears. She reached behind her back and closed those beautiful brown orbs. When she pulled the gun out, pointed towards Randal, the glimmer of the sun partially blinded him. His body was still too weak, too unused to such a dramatic change in temperature, to do anything. Randal was at the mercy of his wife. He mouthed the words 'I love you' softly to her, closed his eyes, and listened as the gunshot went off.

Sarahatii's body fell beside her husband's, her blood staining the golden sands below her fresh corpse. Pieces of her brain were splattered here and there, now food for the birds. Randal opened his eyes to see the expressionless look of his love's face. His tears now flowed freely down his cheeks, coughs of anguish propelling his chest up in the air. Randal Varren spent his ten minutes weeping over the loss of his wife, before his body could take no more, and completely shut down.

John Shelby watched this scene with a keen interest. The players of this drama had run their course, made their decisions, and paid the ultimate price. He closed his eyes for a moment, reflecting on how things could have been so much different if the couple had just caught their problems early on. This was not how the former detective wanted to spend his vacation in Fallien, solving the marital problems of others through death. He sensed the irony of the situation while watching the harpies circle around a new meal. This was a vacation for the Varren's as well, one that Randal had taken advantage of, and paid the ultimate price to it. He never should have engaged that ragged old man in a conversation about his wife, never should have left with a girl that John knew he was not married to. In a final act of compassion, the couple had died at an oasis far from the Fallien towns, where they could be alone. Now, the two could be together with nobody else to disturb them, courtesy of the Trap Master.

GP

Name
    stupid requirement

Jasmine stood at the ship’s railing and inhaled deeply. The tangy salt smell of the ocean filled her senses and she sighed happily. The gentle breeze toyed with the few strands of hair that had come loose from the braid that hung down her back nearly to her hips and tugged at the silver-edged hem of her blue travel dress. Her boots felt odd without the daggers in them, but this was a vacation and she’d opted to leave her weapons at home. The ship she was on, entitled Mary Ellen, had just come through the Cliff Gates of Moriah and was now well under way to Corone. For now, that was all she knew of where they were going. This trip was Zerith’s idea and he was being quite secretive about where they were going. She smiled and half turned as he joined her at the rail and slid one arm around her waist.

“Any other guesses, Jas?”

The princess looked up to her handsome halberdier and shook her head, “No, I’ve given up. I’ll just be content to be surprised.” Her husband chuckled at that and squeezed her tight for a moment then fell silent as the young couple watched the waves.

As she watched the gently rolling waves, Jasmine’s thoughts went over the last few years of her life. It had been five years since they had been married. They had been through quite a lot in that time. Three children had been born to them. Siela, the oldest and only girl, was now a pretty four year old girl with hair to match her mother’s. After Siela identical twin boys had been born. The elder of the two was named Zervernus Josiah, in honor of Zerith’s friend that had given his life to protect Jasmine’s the day Siela was born. The second boy was Aidan James. Both were now nearly three years old and very rambunctious as small boys are apt to be. All three children were spending this time with their grandparents. Though she loved her children more than life, Jasmine had to admit that a short break was very nice. Aside from the birth of their children, Zerith had joined the Ixian Knights as one of the prophesied Nine Generals. Even with that, the couple had been through a lot. Siela and Jasmine had been kidnapped, a war had broken out. Yes, they’d been through a lot and deserved this vacation.

The journey to Corone only took two days. Once there, Zerith slung their travel bags over his shoulders and tucked his wife’s arm inside his own. The first night was spent in a hotel in Radasanth. The next day, he hired a coach and they were soon on their way Underwood. Jasmine looked at her husband with one eyebrow raised.

“Underwood? You do realize I know where we are and where we’re going, right?”

“Yes, for now. We’re still on the way to where we’re going. You’ll just have to be patient, my dear.”

Jasmine scowled. Patience was not always one of her strong suits. “Why can’t you just tell me where we’re going?”

“And ruin the surprise? I think not.” He winked knowingly at her and pulled her to him for a quick kiss. “Besides, didn’t you say you’d be content with being surprised?”

Jasmine sighed, “Yes…”

“Then hush and let me surprise you.”

“Fine…but if you don’t want me asking questions, perhaps you should distract me,” she suggested as she turned in her seat so her legs were over his lap.

Zerith grinned as he pulled his wife close, “I think I can manage that…”

They passed the rest of the afternoon quite pleasantly in each others’ arms. Once in Underwood, Zerith took his wife down a trail through the woods until they came to clearing with a small, crystal clear pond. Here he set up a tent and the two spent the next two weeks enjoying each others’ company without worrying about interruptions from the family or work. It was very pleasant indeed.
    Last edited by Jasmine; 09-07-11 at 11:17 PM.

GP

Name
    stupid requirement

That's it for this month! The September Vignette is up!

1st Place - Captain on the Wind gets 200 EXP and 200GP
    2nd Place - Ruby La Roux gets 400 EXP and 175GP
    Sir Artemis - 250 EXP (he was lvl 3 when this was written and winners chosen and thus gets the lvl 3 reward)
    The Trap Master – gets 150 EXP
    Gran Gran – gets 100 EXP
    Jack – gets 150 EXP

Please keep in mind that these are figured on a percentage based from a players level. Please see the Vignette Rules for more details on how the EXP reward is figured.

EDIT: All fixed!
    Last edited by Jasmine; 10-01-11 at 08:10 AM.