Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So we don't choke the cell thread...

EXP: 149,213, Level: 16
    Level completed: 84%, EXP required for next level: 2,787
    Level completed: 84%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,787
    GP

Name
    Seth Dahlios
    Race
    Lavinian
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Build
    5'7" 160
    Job
    Thief/Hex Mage

View Profile

So we don't choke the cell thread...

Lets dicuss the RoG rules here guys. No sense in further derailing the thread.

My take on the RoG update rules is this, if you got an ability during a quest or battle you can keep using it as awarded. However, for you to gain any "auto-level" increases, you need to submit a profile. Until you have updated your level really doesn't change. The idea that you didn't have to submit an update was more for people who sit there and have nothing truly to report. Things like swords that grow stronger as the wielder does and such need to be regulated by RoG and it is their perogative to say "sorry this level you don't get that."

With that out of the way I feel the change only enhanced what was already there. If you quest for abilities and such, you can make use of them, but for people that have level cantrips, you need to update so it gets balanced if the need should arise.
    "White needles buried in the red
    The engine roars and then it gives
    But never dies
    'Cause we don't live
    We just survive
    On the scraps that you throw away"

-Re-education (Through Labor), Rise Against

Administrator
    EXP: 81,363, Level: 12
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 8,637
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,637
    GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Illicit Entrepreneur

View Profile
    I'll say this once, it's quite simple:

The rule for tournaments is that you play through the tournament at the level you are at when it begins. You can only use new character abilities if you gained them in the tournament battle, not through mid-tournament level ups. This is to maintain continuity in tournaments (since the actual event probably only takes a week or so in IC time)

This was written as a general rule on the original tournament handbook, but then when Matt re-wrote it for the FAQ for some reason the rule was stripped. In a normal circumstance, hushpuppy would be stripped of the title and disqualified for powergaming, but since the rule was not made abundantly clear he will retain his win. However, this is how tournaments will be played in the future.

Do not cheat, I will find you!
    Althanas Operations Administrator

Dirks GP amount: 2949

EXP: 58,871, Level: 10
    Level completed: 45%, EXP required for next level: 6,129
    Level completed: 45%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,129
    GP

Name
    Dan Lagh'ratham
    Race
    Rock guy
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Ice Blue/Gray
    Build
    6'4"/215lbs
    Job
    Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dirks

The rule for tournaments is that you play through the tournament at the level you are at when it begins. You can only use new character abilities if you gained them in the tournament battle, not through mid-tournament level ups. This is to maintain continuity in tournaments (since the actual event probably only takes a week or so in IC time)

This was written as a general rule on the original tournament handbook, but then when Matt re-wrote it for the FAQ for some reason the rule was stripped. In a normal circumstance, hushpuppy would be stripped of the title and disqualified for powergaming, but since the rule was not made abundantly clear he will retain his win. However, this is how tournaments will be played in the future.

He'll probably rape you, too.
    Bastards never die.

EXP: 128,600, Level: 15
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 6,400
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,400
    GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    More pepper than salt.
    Eye Color
    Grey or Blue
    Build
    6'1, 185 lbs
    Job
    Defiler.

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Dirks

Very simple and concise, fair to both hushpuppy and future tournament competitors (although this should be posted at tournament startups).

The only thing I don't like about this post is that it pretty much dissolves the need for further discussion about the decisions made.

GP

Name
    Vorin Káno
    Race
    Vampire
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Luminescent Blue
    Build
    6'1", 175 lbs.
    Job
    Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Fido
    He'll probably rape you, too.
    See, now I'm conflicted on whether to cheat in a tournament.
    "Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste
    I've been around for a long long year, Stole many a man's soul and faith

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ, Had his moment of doubt and pain
    Made damn sure that Pilate, Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you, Hope you guess my name
    But what's puzzling you, Is the nature of my game?"Sympathy for the Devil - Guns n Roses, cover of The Rolling Stones

I am a pudding pop

Hypocrite and Bitch
    EXP: 17,330, Level: 5
    Level completed: 56%, EXP required for next level: 2,670
    Level completed: 56%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,670
    GP

Name
    Serilliant
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    1.75 meters / 70 kilograms
    Job
    Merchant

You can't be raped, Cory. You'd flop on your belly for a yeti. Or Ithermoss.

EXP: 18,154, Level: 5
    Level completed: 70%, EXP required for next level: 1,846
    Level completed: 70%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,846
    GP

Name
    Futsuriai no Tetsujin
    Race
    Ishikitai
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Grey

Sorry to seem like I disagree with you all the time, Diss, (or am I? Bwhahahaha) but this idea is ridiculous. It means that if I gain Ultima at the end of a quest I can use it but if I say "For every level above 1 he can make a tiny rubber ball" I can't unless I specifically make a level up? What gives?

Regardless, I actually meant to go along with the title of the thread. I don't like the ROG's supremacy in character control as is, I've always believe for updates the ROG should just be a repository of information and a place to detect abuses. The judges who hand out rewards should simply decide if the quest merited what is being asked for, that's it. If I deserved Doomstruction why would I lose it when I leveled up if it's "Too powerful"? If it was too much for the quest I made I simply shouldn't have been awarded such a skill. In a seemingly contradictory vein I think the ROG should step in in cases where the judge was either misled (through ambiguous wording) or unable to fully see the ramifications of his actions. For the latter I can use the example of two skills:

Nightwind: For 5 minutes a curtain of unlight descends blocking off all light, plunging the region into total darkness (i.e. nightvision is useless, there's no light). This blinds everyone including the user.

Echolocation: For 5 minutes the user loses all sight and gains a primitive ability to use echolocation to build a world picture, small details cannot be resolved but a rough outline of the surroundings can be constructed.

Voila! Neither skill is too powerful and don't attack the theory by saying either is since they're an on-the-spot example but together they're pretty cheap. Otherwise I say skills gained at the end of quests are implicitly approved as are any "when I level up x happens" when x is a well-defined event. I don't see why I need to specificy a branching condition and then keep track of it for everyone if it's simply defined. Personally I've sworn off level numbers, supposed level strengths, and the like but I do agree they serve as useful markings and while I would personally make a skill "As his power grows x" and explicitly request the change when it happens or at a level up I don't see why "At level up x" is any different in practice. If that was too much then don't allow it, if it becomes too much in addition to another skill it's the same scenario as the two above except there they're individual gained skills and not incremental ones.

Hope this makes sense and that someone up high agrees. Then again...people did agree with the wiki and said it was coming late this month but, and I hope I'm wrong, somehow doubt this is happening. Sigh.
    Philosopher of Chaos

Level 4 - The Return

Eternity's Requiem Saga

-- Genesis and Extinction (Pre-crash)
    -- Auguries of Twilight (Pre-crash)
    -- Exctinction and Exodus

Carpetmuncher
    EXP: 1,354, Level: 1
    Level completed: 68%, EXP required for next level: 646
    Level completed: 68%,
    EXP required for next level: 646
    GP

Name
    Luc Kraus
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5' 6'' 145 lbs

The reason, Futty, is so that the quest judge doesn't have to keep track of every other ability you gain in between levels. A judge should have no problem approving a rather powerful ability for a level 6, but what if he's gotten similar abilities from every other quest he's done in between 6 and 7?

Also, nobody ever has an ability where they gain one rubber ball per level. Nobody. It's always something a bit more than that, and at higher levels, it can get pretty ridiculous.
    Cold, jade eyes that liquify
    eyes that are merciless,
    staring in mute mockery
    and in mockery of the muteness

GP

Name
    Tyria
    Race
    Exile demon
    Hair Color
    red
    Eye Color
    red
    Build
    you'll weigh less if you keep asking
    Job
    Treasure hunter

I am sorta in the middle on this but I’m going to lean in the direction of Futsuriai. I think the ROG mods are needed to keep someone from earning 3 powerful mass destruction spells that he could then cast in a row to make any character have a headache to think how in hell they’re going to get out of this one. But the problem is that the mods can get pretty anal about certain things, like guns and the like. It’s just that I think the mods need to lighten up a bit and let people play the characters they want within reason. There’s a serious lack of trust between the mods and the players and it needs to stop, if someone uses the gun or spell unfairly that it guarantees the opponents loss he’ll really get screwed in the score under strategy, rising action and wildcard. That alone will keep the problems of having an invincible character that always wins a fight with no trouble but still if you want a gunman character, you better write a damn JC and hope to god that the RoG thinks you’re worthy of the new piece and same for a spell that does more than burn things.
    Smarter than your average demon.

Ammo:

lesser Wand of fire 5/5

lesser Wand of lightning 4/5

Non Timebo Mala
    EXP: 126,303, Level: 15
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 8,697
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,697
    GP

Name
    Letho Ravenheart
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

I personally think that all abilites, both those earned in a quest and those earned at level up should be approved by a RoG mod before the character can use that. So yes, I think RoG should have more power over the character creation/update. That means waiting until the update to use any skill you might've acquired during the quest. I like playing things by the book, I like a clean set of rules that plugs as many loopholes as possible.

While it seems like a good idea to give much more freedom to the players and let the judges decide what's powergaming and what's not, in practice I don't think that would work very well. The judges, beside having to watchful about 10 different categories during their reading, would now have to take all the abilites in consideration and evaluate whether or not was the usage of them powergaming. Sometimes this would work well. Sometimes they would miss a thing or two and I assure you that the person that loses the fight would not appreciate it.

The fact of the matter is, if you allow more lenience, you leave a larger loophole. I don't think this is a matter of luck of trust between the mods and the players; I suspect on mods and players alike to jump through the loophole occasionally if it's possible. But maybe I'm just a suspicious kind of guy.
    "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast