Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In the Shadow of Oblivion (Closed)

EXP: 15,148, Level: 5
    Level completed: 20%, EXP required for next level: 4,852
    Level completed: 20%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,852
    GP

Name
    Erissa Alanorah Tarsul-Caedron
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver-tinged White
    Eye Color
    Green-blue
    Build
    5'5", 105
    Job
    Finery tailor, Ixian Knight

View Profile

In the Shadow of Oblivion (Closed)

Some content is not suitable for younger readers and people who are easily offended. Sequel to Two Peas and a Pode.
    The humble door loomed before her, the unknown lurking behind it.

It was a door of common variety, scarred and grime-stained like most found in the inns and taverns across Corone. Erissa Caedron studied the familiar etchings; it was not the first time she had seen this particular door in her part-time home of Underwood. Her hand hovered near it, poised to knock. She had no doubt who was behind it, but in what state she would find her quarry remained to be seen. Her heart thrummed in double-time to the heart of her spell's aim; both pounded in her ears. The arcanist was surprised the finding spell had worked; she half-expected her fellow Ixian Knight's stubbornness to hinder it. However, as her voice lifted and she sang his song, the high elf had heard his heart's rhythm and followed it across Corone.

In her other hand was a cloth bag bearing several goods, among them a glass bottle filled with scotch, the finest that could be bought anywhere. The high elf had spared no expense for this visit, and the rich scent of Fallien cheese wafted from from the ordinary sack. And fruit – out of season – Erissa had managed to procure; the bulge of grapes was enough to make her surprised she had not been mugged along the journey from Radasanth, not that her mugger would have been successful. In truth, the cloth bag full of fineries, not to mention the smoked venison, was not even necessary, but a hope of placating one who could not be placated, a losing proposition but valiant none-the-less, or so Erissa surmised. She knocked on the door.

“Jensen? It is Erissa,” she said with the meekness of a small child.

“Go away.” His response was not unexpected, but he had softened, perhaps not in his rabid hatred of elves in general, but at least toward her. In their excursion into the Red Forest, he had slipped and called her 'friend.' But then, a disaster of the sorts she could not imagine befell him; his fiance had been murdered.

Erissa felt the guilt upon her shoulders as if she were bearing the world, his world, upon them. If only she had been stronger, better trained. Perhaps then the Knights would have made it back in time before Cassandra Remi had exacted her revenge upon Jensen Ambrose, the 'blessed' immortal. Naturally, what was the main concern of the Ixian Knights should have taken precedence over her personal struggles, but luckily the two were aligned. The Ixian stronghold itself had been breached. It was a stealthy attack, one very precisely aimed at Jensen. It was not unexpected; he had left his calling card scrawled upon the very gates where the Fifth of the Forgotten, Oblivion, would surely search for his prize and find it missing.

Erissa knocked again, this time more softly.

“I said go away.”

The voice she had relied on so completely during their time in the Red Forest, chasing after Pode, had been changed, saddened, embittered. The laugh that once set her on edge she longed to hear; he, unlike so many others who seemed so much fairer, had kept his promise to her, had not betrayed her.

“I brought scotch, better than what they serve here, and for that matter, free,” Erissa called through the heavy door. There was a hope-laden pause; the door swung open and she watched her fellow Knight pace back to the rickety bed and flop down. She gingerly followed him in and removed her cloak and satchel, setting them in a dusty corner.

“Remember what happened the last time I got drunk with an elf?” Jensen asked, referring to his brief stay in the New Aurient Prison. She nodded, remembering how she had taunted him while he was behind the bars. Feeling incredibly nervous around her former protector, she began to unpack her wares on the wobbly table.

“Glasses?” Erissa asked, voice cracking. She cleared her throat and prepared to slice the cheese and meat on its wrapping paper. His presence was heavier than that of the 'man of shadows' they hoped to oust; the high elf's hands shook as she wielded the kitchen knife. In an instant she felt the immortal's breath on the back of her neck, his hand on hers as he stilled her shaking.

“Why don't you make yourself useful and get the glasses from the cupboard over there,” he gestured with the knife, having disarmed Erissa without her realizing. She nodded hastily and retrieved the two glasses; of the only two in the cupboard, one was chipped and badly cracked. Sighing, the high elf set them on table before him. “So what the hell are you doing here?” he asked absently as he tossed some of the cheese in his mouth. She could hear the emptiness in his voice and she paused, the grape in her mouth sour.

“Well,” Erissa began, chewing and swallowing, “you do have the essence, do you not?” Jensen nodded once, to Erissa's great relief. “There was a breach in the guard at the Castle; they tore your rooms apart looking for it, as well as the armories. They took nothing. Jensen, Oblivion has received your message. He has come to us, as we had hoped. But how did you know when he would come?” He never paused as he sliced more of the cheese and meat, but his silence was foreboding. Jensen shrugged.

“I just needed to get away from that place. Too many memories.” The immortal's hand clenched the knife as it dropped to his side. “And which one of those bed wetters told you where I'd be?”

“The heart song, from my Songbook of Ages,” she began. “When we were in the forest you allowed me to learn yours, remember?”

“Fucking fairy magic. I shoulda guessed,” he grunted before tossing the knife on the table and pouring a generous shot of the scotch into the chipped glass; he drank it in one big gulp. With a moody sigh, Jensen refilled his own glass and, to her surprise, poured one for the elf. She accepted it gratefully; if there were ever a time she was in need of a drink, it was now. “Have a seat,” Jensen said, gesturing to one of two chairs in the room, a grungy, sweat-stained mess whose cushions were well past being fluffed again to any semblance of comfort. Erissa retrieved her cloak and tossed it over the chair. She sat, back straight and ankles crossed, resting on her skin-tight, maroon leathers, the other awkwardly holding the glass of alcohol. She grasped for a bit of meat, and nibbled on the venison uncomfortably.

“So how have you been?” Erissa asked, brushing a few stray locks of silver hair behind her pointed ear.

“How do you think I've been, leaf licker?” Jensen replied, lacking the strength for his normal venom. Erissa nervously took a rather large draught of her drink; her face twisted into a grimace as the alcohol hit her tongue and throat. She looked questioningly at the immortal, who sneered. “It's supposed to taste like that. A little different than your Raiaeran Red, huh?” he asked. Erissa cleared her throat, attempting to rid it of the burning. “Hair of the dog, elf. First one tingles, second one burns, but the third...” he trailed off and drank from his own glass. The elf's second drink saw her stomach spasm, threatening to purge itself of the snack she had just enjoyed.

But then Erissa heard something that brought her hope. Jensen chuckled softly. Granted it was directed at her, but it was still a laugh. As long as he is still laughing, he will be okay, she thought.

“And what about you, Fairy?” he asked, shaking the table near her as he set the scotch on it and took the other seat for himself. “Humped any bushes lately?” Jensen refilled his glass and leaned over to top off hers. She eyed him suspiciously, surprised he even cared how she was, before taking a third, large gulp of the scotch. The high elf's eyes watered immediately, her stomach went sour, and her throat burned as though she had swallowed a red-hot sword.

“What in the-” she wheezed. Her fellow Knight's chuckles increased to a full laugh as he pointed to a sink. The elf swallowed a few more times, refusing to give in to the urge to rid herself of the scotch, and she looked at him accusingly. “I thought the third was supposed to be better.”

“What?” Jensen asked, still giggling. “You didn't let me finish! The third's like swallowing hot coals just before getting punched in the gut.”

“You, Jensen Ambrose,” she managed between coughs, “are incorrigible. Pour me another; that was not so bad.” The man lifted his eyebrows at her and shrugged before obliging. Erissa began to feel the effects of the scotch, aside from the feeling she had just swallowed fuel. Her mind buzzed warmly, her limbs tingled, and she felt giddy. “Besides, you are my 'friend!' You said it yourself and I heard it. You cannot take that back now."
    Last edited by Sagequeen; 09-27-12 at 12:22 PM.
    Le onen guil hen, le velt farn a chuinad han - You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.

Sexy Immortal
    EXP: 149,516, Level: 16
    Level completed: 86%, EXP required for next level: 2,484
    Level completed: 86%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,484
    GP

Name
    Jensen Ambrose
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black Red Tips
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11, 154
    Job
    Senior Knight of the Apocalypse

Jensen looked to his empty glass and sighed again. He grabbed the scotch and poured it; the soft glug-glug broke the silence. When his glass was filled, he returned the bottle to the table, letting the soft red fabric cradle it as he looked to the Elf who called him friend. With a salute more to himself than to her, he chugged the whole thing, feeling his chest rise in temperature before settling again. With a cough and a slap to his chest, he giggled, then poured more.

“I’m not your friend.” The glass collided with the cup making a soft ching, and Jensen looked to Erissa to see her reaction. She sniffed her drink, wrinkled her nose, and sipped at it, doing her best to hide the disgust. Jensen shook his head before he sat upright, moving his glass aside. “Get it right, Elf. I don’t make friends. It was a slip of the tongue. Besides,” Jensen mumbled as he grabbed the drink, looking at his reflection in the amber liquid, “don’t you know my friends get killed…” He only whispered that last part, but before any comment could be thought, he drowned a painful memory in his alcohol, downing the whole thing going for more.

“Well you are my friend,” she muttered.

“I’m a terrible person,” Jensen insisted. Erissa merely shook her head and gave him a challenging look. She grabbed a piece of cheese, nibbled a small amount, and shifted herself forward, causing her leather to creak.

“That little angel does not think her father is so terrible,” she countered. “Nor does Zerith, Jasmine, Tobias, Sei-“ Jensen grabbed the bottle quickly, pouring the liquid right down his mouth in a waterfall. As she watched him chug she narrowed her eyes. “Do their opinions of you not count?” Jensen lowered the bottle and sighed. He looked back to Erissa, and this time the weight of the world came with them. Losing his soon to be wife, Stephanie, to Cassandra Remi’s knives had left a void in him he was not sure could be filled again.

“Then if so many people like me, why did Stephanie have to die?” he choked. Erissa’s eyes widened, her mouth gaping only slightly as she looked like she stepped into a room full of bears. The look on Jensen’s face, the haunted terror in his eyes as he waited patiently for an answer did nothing to calm her down. Jensen at last looked away, taking another swig of the scotch, his lips firmly pressed against the mouth of the bottle. He pulled the bottle out forcefully, wiping his chin; with a smack he spoke. “You are a good person, Erissa Leaf Licking Bush Humper,” Jensen said softly. “But you are also naïve. I don’t want any more friends. Cassandra Remi reminded me why I shouldn’t grow attached to things…” Before he could lift the bottle Erissa’s hand shot out, pulling it away. She filled her cup with the last few swallows. She hastily drank, then patted her chest as she began to whimper, looking sickly.

“Barf in the sink!” Jensen said loudly, giggling as he enjoyed the lucid feeling in his body now. He waited to hear the tale tell sounds of regurgitation, humming a tune as he looked on, but instead the faucet ran, and the water splashed over the elf’s face as she groaned. Jensen looked to his boots before sighing and standing again, slightly tipsy, and moved towards her. He patted her on the back as she rinsed her face, and the two went back to the seats. The elf looked to him as if she wanted to say much, but Jensen knew those words were hard to find. Instead, he would cut her a break and help her out of the mess of his memories.

“Obliviate got my calling card, huh?” Erissa looked to him, blinking multiple times. It took her a moment, but she finally nodded in understanding, crossing her legs as she relaxed again.

“Yes,” she said in a hurry. “He attacked this morning. Again, nothing valuable but…” She let the words linger as Jensen rubbed the back of his head.

“Won’t be long before he tries to attack someone I know. See what being my friend means?” Jensen joked, no warmth to it. “N’jal’s diseased tits, being my friend is like being a moving target.” He grunted in anger, before standing and stretching. “Either way, I guess it would be better if I moved away from the Ixian Castle until I find him.” He lifted his hand to his head, looking for the spot he liked to scratch. He sighed, letting his lips purse out.

“Excuse me,” Erissa interjected. “Move away? I am just as involved in this!” Jensen extended a hand to push her down as she tried to get up.

“No you aren’t. I’m the one who left a calling card, not you.”

“Jensen, I was with you on that trip. Many can bear witness to that.” The immortal thought it over as he looked to her eyes, and before he got lost in them he turned his head away. He did not like her logic, but it was sound. He would mail a letter to Sei in the morning and let his Lord know he would be continuing his mission away from Ixian Castle.

“It’ll be dangerous,” Jensen warned. To that answer Erissa merely laughed, a lighthearted chortle that made the immortal crack a sly smile.

“Yes, because traveling in the Red Forest was sooo much safer,” she teased, crossing her arms much like Jensen did on their adventure. “Besides, Mr. Ambrose, we must all remember Rule Number Two of adventuring.” She looked to him, a twinkle in her eye as Jensen let out a snort of laughter before nodding.

“You got me there, leaf licker. Okay, you’re on board. I got an idea for where we can find Omelet.”

“Omelet?” Erissa asked awkwardly. “Are you still hungry?”

“Obligatory,” Jensen corrected himself. Erissa shook her head, giggling.

“Oblivion.” She muttered an insult under her breath, then both their heads turned to the door. There was a soft knock upon the chipped wood, and the immortal lowered his eyes in confusion.
    Last edited by Enigmatic Immortal; 03-02-12 at 08:59 AM.
    I could laugh...
    ...Till I die!

Avatar Edited to Look AMAZING by Sagequeen

GP

Name
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver-tinged White
    Eye Color
    Green-blue
    Build
    5'5", 105
    Job

View Profile
    Erissa stumbled slightly as she approached the door, the scotch tenuously settling in her stomach, though the taste of it still lingered, much to her displeasure. She had miscalculated the effect it would have on her; the high elf was used to her preferred Raiaeran Red, a strong wine but weak compared to the scotch.

“Wait!” Jensen called softly, and the high elf's hand rested on the handle. She gazed at him questioningly and opened her mouth to speak, but the immortal put a finger to his lips. “Who did you tell I was here?” he asked in a hushed whisper. Erissa shrugged and shook her head; even when she set out from the castle, she had not known exactly where she would find Jensen. Another knock at the door, sharper and more urgent, caused an inkling of dread in the pit of her stomach. “Were you followed?”

“Of course not,” she whispered harshly. “I-” As the door smashed inward, Erissa was hurled back and onto the floor; the door, broken from its hinges, crashed down next to her. Woozy from the scotch, she struggled to her feet to face the assailants. Two hard-faced men in long, gray jackets stepped into the room, each with a single-shot pistol trained on one of the Knights. Jensen's hand snaked inside his own jacket, grasping for his throwing knife, but he was not quick enough; the taller of the two intruders squeezed the trigger of his firearm, just feet from the immortal's grinning and chuckling face.

A look of confusion overtook the taller man as he squeezed the trigger repeatedly; no satisfying boom followed. Jensen grasped the knife and let it fly; the weapon sliced into the intruder's eye socket. The man dropped his gun, screaming and pawing at his face, his blood spurting down the front of his gray jacket. Jensen was up from the table with quickness rivaling a mongoose, and several wet, well-placed strikes later, the screaming stopped. The man fell to his knees, then forward on his face, a crimson pool seeping from below him. A shot rang out from the smaller, wider man's gun, but the the immortal was already on the move again, and the bullet only nicked his ear. Jensen advanced, his haunting giggles unnerving the man. The intruder chucked the gun at him before grabbing the elf to use as a living shield while he fumbled for his short-sword.

Erissa twisted herself from his single-handed grasp, and as she spun, she removed her own dagger from its sheath. She lurched, off-balance, at the remaining intruder. He easily deflected her first strike, grabbing her wrist and wrenching it to the side. Her elvish blade clanged to the ground, and the ominous sound of ringing metal filled Erissa's ears as he began to draw his sword.

"Fucking move, elf!" Jensen cursed as she stepped into his line of sight to the intruder. However, as Erissa regained her balance, she pistoned her leg to the front. Her thick, heavy boot heel met with his soft and vulnerable parts; he released her arm, doubling over in pain. Erissa wobbled toward him and delivered a knee to his face, crushing his nose. Jensen's laughter never faded, and he shoved her aside. In the cruel whispers of steel and malice, the second man fell to the floor, his weapon never fully drawn.

“No!” Erissa cried as she hunched over the man, struggling to turn him over; she worked furiously to heal his wounds.

“What the hell are you doing?” Jensen hollered at her, his disbelief and anger a frightful mix. “They were trying to kill us!”

“Hush,” Erissa said urgently, working at the vague plan that had formed in her mind. “Please let me work!” She focused her energy, drawing the strength to knit her attacker's flesh together again.

“I told you, Erissa,” Jensen growled, “I told you how it was when we were in the Red Forest. I won't let a man live who just tried to kill me. You're wasting your time. As soon as you patch him up, I'll have the damn fine pleasure of slitting his throat again!”

“Then do it! For the love of...” Erissa sighed, finally looking at the immortal. “I want to keep him alive long enough to read his memories! Then you can stick him like a pincushion with every blade you keep hidden in your jacket. Now please, shut your mouth so I can work!” Realization dawned on Jensen. He smirked, still tipsy, and flopped down on the blood-sprayed chair.

Trying to heal the deep, fatal gash in the man's throat was a losing battle, though the arcanist was able to stem the tide for several minutes as she prodded his memory.

“I- I see him following me here; he was waiting at the castle, after the attempted theft, and I was stupid enough to lead him straight to you. He knew of you, knew you had something of value. His orders were to gather information, and he did; he knows of your family, your daughter, your friends. He knows of me, but only by name, and that I am very involved in his employer's source of trouble. This man was not aware that the thing of value you carried was corrupted ambrosia essence from Pode's forest, nor did he know his employer personally, but he was sent from Akashima.” She sighed as the man gurgled; the steady rise and fall of his chest ceased. “We can only assume his employer's identity, but I do not have any doubts.” She swayed as she rose to her feet. “That scotch is terrible,” she said, a look of distaste distorting her features, and a very unlady-like burp threatened to loose itself from her throat. “Never again.”

“You said he knows about my daughter, did he know where she is?” Jensen asked, an urgency in his tone and an enormous lump in his throat.

“No,” Erissa said, and Jensen slumped in relief. “But I am sure she is safe in the castle. Everyone is on high alert there after the breach.”

“She's not in the castle,” Jensen muttered.
    Last edited by Sagequeen; 09-22-12 at 11:39 AM.
    Le onen guil hen, le velt farn a chuinad han - You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.

Sexy Immortal
    GP

Name
    Jensen Ambrose
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black Red Tips
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11, 154
    Job

Jensen grabbed the last of his belongings from the floor, dusting off his crimson colored dagger of the newly spilt blood. Though he wished it to be clean, ever since he plunged it deep into the heart of the reflection of his first love, the blade never lost its crimson tint. He had killed the tree that bore the fruit of Ambrosia, or so the corrupted elves of the Red Forest in Rariera said, and freed whatever tortured soul the Red Witch had trapped in there.

With a flick, the memory was wiped away clear, replaced with a concerned glance to Erissa. She had casually begun to wrap herself in her cloak after doing her best to clean the inn's floor from the mess left by the bodies. Jensen had already talked to the owner of the inn and paid him for the days the room would be closed off. Beyond that, the Ixian Knights would send a team to clean up the place. Sei would easily pick up the tab; the man was rich enough as it was.

Still, he noticed that the once fragile, naïve elf that traveled with him in the forest had grown. No longer did she shy away from conflict and blood, but accepted of the brutal truth of her life now that she was involved with Oblivion. Yet if she was scared this time, she did a far better job of masking it. In a way he was proud of her, but in more ways was deeply disturbed. She was a tailor, he had recalled her saying. Now she was killing people.

“You suck with a knife,” Jensen blurted when her green-blue eyes matched his. There was a pause before Jensen let out a light chuckle, scooping down and picking up the wicked dagger that Erissa had tried, and failed, to use in the fight. “You hold it like you have no clue what you are doing.”

“Could it be that perhaps,” Erissa mused with a knowing smile, “that I do not? Unlike you, Jensen Ambrose, I am fully capable of admitting my flaws. I have had very few lessons since we returned from the forest. Technique and theory can be read, but I am afraid that is all Troyas’ library could offer me. Although, the single practice I was able to get in with Adolph came in very handy, despite the brutality of his methods.”

“You say something?” Jensen mumbled rubbing his hair up as he sighed, pouting his lips. Erissa casually walked to him, slapping him playfully on the arm. He looked down to the floor and stooped to lift the gun from where it fell in the scuffle. He sighed, looking at the make and model. The elf gave him a coy look, one he returned to her as he gestured to the door, pocketing the single shot weapon.

“You look upset,” she said thoughtfully. Jensen shrugged.

“Been dying to find a decent gun for a weapon I wish to have made. This one is a single shot. I need a six cylinder rotating mechanism. Still, never know when you need a single shot. I’ll take it as payment from Oblivion.” He looked back to Erissa who rose a single eyebrow.

“Boys with toys,” she mocked him with a teasing grin. Now Jensen pretended to swat her as she giggled. “I read all about these weapons,” Erissa said studiously. “Simple to stop them, if you understand the complex mechanics in the whole weapon. Using my telekenesis, I was able to hold the hammer in place, preventing it from striking the powder igniter.”

“Ah, that’s why it didn’t fire,” Jensen mumbled, nodding in understanding. The two walked along the blue carpet leading out of the inn, standing shoulder to shoulder. Jensen thought about all that was going on; he felt a pang of guilt for leaving the castle so soon after the death of Stephanie, but if Oblivion knew who he was, who his friends and family were…

The immortal shook away the thought with a twitch. Better to just not think of that dark road. He had already sent word to Sei that he would resume his mission, and the Mystic would contact him via his telepathy when the time came to answer the Knight. He had sent another letter to Tobias Greenleaf, the klepto of the Ixian Knights and personal friend of Jensen, to borrow his room while he was gone and take care of his little girl, Azza.

He ignored the creaking wood as the combined weight of the two Ixians bent the aging steps, looking forwards as he began to chew on his lip. He wondered if he was leaving enough protection for Azza, and debated on if he should take her along. Yet a reminder of the Blood Root that tore into his flesh was a fast track answer to that asinine idea. Maybe if she spent the time with Adolph? No, the warrior priest was too busy to watch his girl. In the end Jensen just had to trust that Sei would protect his daughter. It was a thought that didn’t settle well with the immortal, but what choice did he have?

“You said Azza was not at the castle,” Erissa softly entered into Jensen’s little world, and with a shake of his head he rejoined her in the present. He turned to see the elf was looking at him with a gentle smile, her eyes sparkling as the two headed towards the door. Jensen looked into those green-blue eyes, trying to discern the actual color, and lost track of his thoughts. Erissa giggled and touched her skin softly. “Is there something on my face?” Jensen peered to her closer, leaning in, before lifting a finger and promptly pushing between her eyes.

“Yeah, you got elf all over you,” the immortal joked. Erissa sighed half-heartedly while the Knight grinned. He pushed the double doors of the inn open with great bravado. The streets of Underwood opened before them, the vendors and street traffic moving in tandem like a shifting play. The duo walked into the mainstream and Jensen led her towards the edge of Underwood near the forest where the old water hole was located.

“No, Azza isn’t in the castle. Did you think I’d go get drunk three towns away from my daughter after her mother was killed?” Erissa did not respond, and Jensen moved them past a carriage holding several wares marked for Radansath. “She’s playing with the children at Mother Holly’s orphanage, just before dark she was going to come back to the inn where we’d sleep and return home the next morning.”

“Ah ha,” Erissa said like she was a detective. He flinched and quickly pulled the Elf away from an incoming carriage. She gave him a strange look; the beasts were easily two feet away from her. The two looked to each other before Jensen moved on, leaving Erissa standing alone, confused. “Thank you?” she mumbled.

They remained silent as they stepped away from Underwood proper, closing in on the outskirts of the small town. Jensen could hear the kids laughing, and even with all the pain he had been through in his life, a genuine smile crept on his face. Erissa gave him a sideways glance, smiling herself as she stepped off to the side.

In the immortal’s eyes he watched as the silver haired beauty chased the children, playing tag as her maroon eyes beamed with youthful energy. Despite training hard, harder than some of the Ixian soldiers even, she still kept her innocence intact in his eyes. No matter what she would do in her life, Jensen was proud of his little girl, and she would always be that same, cheerful girl he loved.

Her eyes caught hold of him, and she turned, running full steam at him. Jensen planted one foot to brace himself, feeling her body shove into his and drifting him backwards in the dirt as the two laughed. Jensen tickled her, teasing her as the two fought and struggled before an abrupt cough broke the moment. An elder woman stepped forwards, smiling to them as the wrinkles on her face showed her years of experience. Azza looked up to Jensen, smiling, before it began to falter.

“Yup,” was all the immortal said.

“But so soon?” Azza whined. Jensen nodded. She nodded back, an automatic reaction as he ran a hand through her hair, taking care not to touch her horns. “I’ll miss you!” Jensen leaned forwards and picked up his now heavy, little girl. Holding her tight he whispered his instructions to her.

“I’ll miss you too, stay the night with Holly, and Tobias will take care of you. And here…” Jensen lowered his girl and took the pendant off around his neck, gently placing it in her hand. “Hold this for me. It’s my promise to come home.” Azza nodded, holding her father tighter. Jensen looked up to Holly, ready to explain the plan before she lifted up a hand to stop him. It was, after all, not uncommon for her to care for the girl when Jensen was away. Jensen silently thanked her, holding his girl tighter, before he let go and pulled away. “Clean underwear, everyday, and training with Adolph in the morning and Tobias at night. Grandpa will take you to dinner on the weekend, and Aislinn will take you to dinner on Wednesday. Brush your teeth or-" Azza placed a finger on his lips, smiling sweetly.

“I get it father. You love me, and I’ll be safe.” Jensen looked to her, smiled with a chuckle and hugged her one last time. Holly held her hand out, and Azza took it as they said their goodbyes. The immortal watched his little girl go, his heart wrenching to leave the last attachment to Stephanie he had alone in a world with Cassandra Remi, but with a tear filled eye he turned, his jacket whipping the memory behind him as he looked to the mountains and nodded.

“Let’s go!”
    Last edited by Enigmatic Immortal; 03-02-12 at 09:07 AM.
    I could laugh...
    ...Till I die!

GP

Name
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver-tinged White
    Eye Color
    Green-blue
    Build
    5'5", 105
    Job

View Profile
    “First,” Erissa suggested, as they quickly left the orphanage, “we should pay a visit to Troyas.”

“What?” he asked, rolling his eyes at her. “If you think for one second I'm going to let that stuffy bush humper teleport me...”

“No, Jensen,” Erissa replied, stifling a laugh at the immortal's irrational phobia of teleporting. “But I do not fancy the idea of being pursued on foot. We will have use of Troyas' horses, at least while we are in Corone. From that man's memory, I know they were the only ones sent after us - for now. Oblivion severely miscalculated if he thought they would prove to be successful, but you can be certain others will come. The point is to draw them away from those they would hurt to get to the essence. Once we have the horses, we need to be seen leaving Underwood, and in an attention grabbing manner, so those who may come later will have the information they want.”

The two walked quickly through Underwood again, staying on the main roads, and Erissa took in the familiar sights. She had come to love the union of races found in the city, and their impromptu architecture that somehow, though very different, seemed to belong side by side.

"Down that road, in the... 'less cared for' part of town, was where I defeated the demon drake," she said proudly to Jensen, pointing in front of his chest down a nondescript road. "The hole where it emerged is still there, and they never bothered to replace the flagstone in the square. Perhaps I can tell you the story some time," Erissa asked, eyes sparkling. The immortal snorted.

"Sure, just after I tell you about how I killed that Berevarian bear," he said snidely. The elf clucked her tongue at him.

"It is not a contest," she muttered.

"Damn sure isn't," he retorted. "No contest whatsoever."

Jerk. Arrogant. Mean. Thoughtless. Callous. What was it General Bracken had said? Jackass? Erissa thought, a disarming grin pulling the at the sides of her mouth. That was it. Jackass. If he were not so good at it, it would almost be cute.

The style of building displayed an increasingly elvish influence as they neared the oldest part of town, where Troyas' estate rested near the edge of Concordia. The Knights weaved through cart-rutted side roads, leaving behind the nightlife bustle of traffic. As twilight fell across the land, Erissa and Jensen were greeted by her mentor and fellow elf, Troyas, who seemed very small compared to the soaring columns that supported the balcony of his mansion. He nodded as his student recalled the recent events, reading her memories in the silent exchange.

“Mr. Ambrose,” Troyas said respectfully, the breeze ruffling his silken pantsuit and long, golden hair.

“Troy,” Jensen said, smirking at the old elf's kindness.

“You will find everything in order at the stables, Erissa. As for me, your coming here has left me with no choice but to leave my home for the time being. The vial of the Forgotten I protect would be too terrible a power for Oblivion to acquire, in addition to his own,” Troyas spoke as they crunched along the gravel path around his stately mansion, Concordia's boughs in the distance blackening as the sliver of moon peaked over them.

"We already defeated his agents, Troyas. We have bought some time," Erissa asserted.

"No, Dear One," her teacher said gently. "Those would not be the only men he sent."

“I led him right to you,” Erissa said hollowly, a dainty hand attempting to rub away the worried creases in her forehead. “To both of you.” Troyas gave a quick nod as they entered the clean, wooden stables. Erissa sighed, breathing in the familiar scent of fresh hay and horseflesh. Her favorite, Lucious, eagerly neighed in greeting, pawing the ground; two horses had already been saddled and stocked. “So Oblivion did not miscalculate when he sent those men; he sent them to die, expecting to flush us out-”

“And to see where we'd run, and who we'd run to,” Jensen finished. “Azza-”

“I will personally escort her to the castle, by way of portal,” Troyas said. Jensen gave a surprisingly grateful nod. “The two of you must make haste. Oblivion is crafty, and not prone to relying on a single course of action. It is safe to assume we are being watched now. Do not wait for daylight; the next assassins he sends may not be so insubstantial.”

“I am sorry, Troyas, to bring this upon you,” Erissa said sadly as she unlatched the waist high gate and led Lucious from his stall. A musical laugh reverberated in the high, wooden rafters of the stable, and Erissa looked at her teacher curiously.

“Sorry, Dear One?” he asked. “Not at all. It is invigorating! I was beginning to feel as old and dusty as the books in my library. And it is a chance to address some unfinished business,” he said with an uncharacteristic wink. The old elf walked to his student and touched the side of her face gently, his thumb resting on her temple. He closed his eyes, concentrating. Erissa's eyes went wide, and she nodded in understanding.

“Fairy magic,” Jensen muttered as he led the second horse from the stable. He leaped atop the dark stallion and stood in the saddle, leather creaking as he tested the stirrups' length. In a moment, Erissa was atop her own horse, and Jensen chuckled at her in his distinctive, rumbling baritone. “Side saddle?”

“Well, I am a lady,” she shrugged. <“Forward, Lucious.”> The high elf spoke softly in her native tongue, and the mighty, white steed sprang forward in a vibrant uncoiling of sinew and muscle. He pranced and sidestepped at her every command, beast and rider moving as one. Jensen rasped at her display, and planted his heels in his own horse's sides.

“Go,” he said, and clucked his tongue. The horse stood firm and chuffed as though he were offended. “He-yah! Move, forward, go!” Troyas smiled at him.

“In Elvish,” he said, arms crossed across his chest. “And his name is Magnus.”

“Come on, Troy, don't you have one that understands Common? Speaking your language is like chewing on roses, with the thorns,” Jensen spat. Troyas simply smiled, shaking his head stoically. <“In that case,”> the man sarcastically said in the elven tongue, <“I am most honored to rub my posterior upon so fine an elvish steed.”>

“Remember,” Troyas said, ignoring Jensen's insult, “watch each other closely. Oblivion can not only read your memories, but also manipulate them. He may control your actions to an extent, although I do not know how powerful he is now.” His eyes implored the immortal. “Mr. Ambrose, I am once again leaving her in your care. Bring her back safely,” he said. A flash of white-hot pain when through the man's heart, and he visibly cringed.

“Maybe she'd be safer with you,” he mumbled as he watched Erissa lean back and double-check the supplies in her backpack and saddlebags. Troyas nodded.

“Perhaps she would. But if it came down to a choice between her life and protecting the vial, for the sakes of all who live in Althanas, I would choose the vial,” he said sadly.

Satisfied with Lucious' performance, Erissa guided her horse back to the others. She reached down and scratched and horse's neck.

“Ready?” the high elf asked her companions, eager to go.

“Almost. There is one other thing, Erissa. This came for you by mail. It is from your father,” Troyas said, an eyebrow arched knowingly as he handed it to her. Jensen was taken aback by the immediate change in Erissa's demeanor; she practically seethed when her fingers touched the fine, cream colored paper of the envelope. She stuffed it down into her pack without reading it. As the two urged their mounts to a trot, Troyas stepped through a portal of his own making.

“What was that about?” Jensen asked curiously as they headed back into the heart of Underwood.

“What?” Erissa asked, seeking to avoid his question. His intense gaze burned holes in her and she quickly realizing he was not willing to drop the subject yet. “Nothing!”

“Uh-huh. Sure looked like nothing.” The immortal watched as she tersely urged her horse on, leaving the man to view her back. Jensen rode for several minutes at her flank through the widening roads, grinning to himself to see the elf so off-put. “You shoulda brought Osher,” he called out to her. Erissa looked over her shoulder at him, frowning.

“I did not even bring a change of clothes,” she said sourly. “One does not simply wake up in the morning and say 'I think I shall pack all my belongings and drag along my dog, just in case I end up trotting across the continent with an arrogant immortal, pursued by one of the Forgotten.” Jensen let loose a peal of laughter.

“Well, maybe 'one' should remember she's an Ixian Knight now, and for something like that to not happen would mean the world just ended and 'one' missed it,” the immortal said, grinning at Erissa. He elicited a patronizing smile from her as he urged his horse forward, abreast with her on the busy road. “Seriously? You're worried about a change of clothes when we've got Mr. Crazy-ass Memory Eater on our tails?” The high elf held struggled to remain angry, holding back her laughter at his antics. He stood in the stirrups, arms outstretched, voice carrying like a carney in the crowd. “Watch as the fearless Ixian Knight packs her satchel with extra clothing: spite, spite I say, in the very face of danger! See her sensible heels and how they match her sequined handbag! She's so well dressed she'll stun the bad guys into submission!” Erissa blushed fiercely as a collection of nearby heads were wrenched in their direction, yet her laughter burst forth, the letter from her father and the dour mood all but forgotten. “Women!” Jensen threw his head back and laughed. She regretted not having something to throw at him.

Erissa's gaze lingered on her companion. She sighed, glad for his laughter; the young elf had expected a cesspool of anger and insults. She was pleasantly surprised otherwise; and more importantly, the death of his fiance had not destroyed the man. He cracked his knuckles sharply, then grunted as he rubbed his rear. Erissa's eyes quickly went to the road and her blush deepened, realizing she had been staring at him.

“Gonna be a long ride,” he said, eying her as she nodded in quick agreement. “Guess it's time to make our grand exit. Any ideas?” he asked.

“Actually, yes,” Erissa said, much to his surprise. He cocked an eyebrow.

“Let's hear it, fairy.”

“Well,” Erissa said, a sparkle of mirth in her eye, “fights always attract attention. We could have a fight and appear to go our separate ways, hopefully throwing any others who might be following us off our trail. But Jensen, it will not work if we do not do it correctly... not just a yelling match, but an actual brawl. You know, break some things.”
    Last edited by Sagequeen; 09-26-12 at 03:18 PM.

Sexy Immortal
    GP

Name
    Jensen Ambrose
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black Red Tips
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11, 154
    Job

Jensen’s eyebrow lifted in silent wonder of Erissa’s proposal. He was confused as ever, wondering if the woman just asked what he thought she did. Tailor, elf, and goodie-two-shoe Erissa Caedron? Brawl and break stuff? Jensen had but one response to such a ridiculous offer, and he made it clear as he goaded his horse towards her, an intrigued grin across his face. When they reached Underwood’s main roads the two broke off a bit in the horses' slow gait. The elf looked to him and shrugged in a mischievous manner.

“Do you even know what I can do? I did kill that Blood Root back in the Red Forest,” he said. Erissa giggled as she strode her horse closer to his, a bemused smile on her face. She lifted a hand up and softly dusted his comment away as if it was an annoying fragrance.

“I would consider it a task equal in status to the Noodle Incident,” she joked, “which of course was truly your fault.” Jensen’s eyes narrowed at her comment, the leather reigns creaking in his gripping fingers as he growled lowly. He spoke in a calm and controlled manner, hoping the Elf knew that this was not the topic he wanted to actually use to do their play fight.

“It. Was. The. Cat.”

“The valiant and heroic Jensen Ambrose, nearly destroyed our Lord Orlouge with noodles. What would little Azza think?”

“She’d think you should mind your fall,” Jensen seethed, a little giggle escaping. Erissa looked to him, thoroughly confused as she tilted her head. In the blink of an eye he darted like a snake, grabbing her ankle and tugging her off the horse so she fell. Her butt hit the dirt first, and she let out a yelp of surprise. Jensen laughed at her; her silver hair had fallen over her face, making the scene far more comical. She let out an irritated breath, blowing the strands away and revealing an angry face.

“Jensen,” Erissa whispered, “that actually hurt.” The elf’s hand rubbed her posterior with tenderness; she let out a growl of annoyance as he laughed harder for her pain. He even had the indecency to point to her as he chuckled, turning his horse to face her. With a clap, he whooped in laughter, and Erissa felt he had enough fun at her expense.

“<Rise, Magnus,>” her words flowed gracefully and Jensen's horse whinnied and rose, bucking the immortal off; he collapsed onto his back with a thud and a grunt of pain. “<Good boy!>” The elf pulled her self up, and patted the muzzle of the elven steed. Jensen looked back to her with a soft grin, rubbing the back of his head. With a quick nip up he stood again, dusting himself off as he approached Erissa, who was attempting to remount her horse.

“<Forward, Lucious!>” Jensen ordered of the woman’s mount. It trotted forwards and away, and Erissa’s eyes went wide with surprise as she almost fell again. She grumbled, turning back to Jensen. “What, don’t like that you suck at this game?” Jensen cackled. “Remember I can speak your fruity fairy language with no qualms.”

“Oh, then I suppose a new tactic is in order, perhaps one you would enjoy,” her tone salted with sass as she crossed her hands just under her ample breasts. Jensen gave her a coy look, and when he wasn’t ready she brought forth her telekinetic powers, knocking the immortal over onto his rear. He let out a yelp of surprise, falling on the ground and rubbing his bottom. Erissa called Lucious back with a soft command. When she turned around she found Jensen's eyes boring holes in her. “Oh this was such a silly idea,” the young elf sighed.

“Ya, no shit,” Jensen replied hotly. “You suck at play fighting.”

“Yes, I figured that, Jensen,” she mouthed back to him. “There is no point in rubbing it in,” she mumbled, warily getting ready to mount her steed. Yet Jensen still talked, hands gesturing in time with his speech.

“No, you really suck at this. First you can’t hold a dagger properly, then you offer this ludicrous idea about us fighting, then you knock me flat on my ass and declare it’s over. Not to mention you bring up facts about my life you know nothing about.” As he prepared to open his mouth again, the elf turned, a pained expression on her face and filled with the fury of the moment.

"Why not say what you really mean, Jensen," the high elf asked in a hurt tone, "that no matter what I do, you will always despise me. I know much more than you think."

“If you know so much,” Jensen said gesturing broadly to her from the ground, his arms open to allow her to him like a hug. “Then please, pick the shit out of my brains like a vulture, fairy! Why bother telling you like it is when you can just go into my mind like fucking Sei and grab the answers yourself!”

“I would never intrude like that!” Erissa said hotly, a shocked look on her face as she lifted a hand to her chest. Jensen looked to her and shook his head, recalling a memory of the two back in the Red Forest, sitting near the camp fire after their first engagement. Jensen was watching her that night, and she had mumbled things in her sleep she should not know. Erissa looked to him as he stood back up with a swift motion. He turned to Magnus and whistled for him to come. “Jensen, please!” Erissa said with a strain. “This whole thing-“

“Was maybe just what we needed,” Jensen blurted. The two stared at each other for a long moment, and with a snarl Jensen mounted Magnus and mumbled just softly enough for the elf to hear. “Besides you’ve been getting too fresh with me lately.” Erissa shook her head angrily as she mounted her horse.

“Despite what you and your ego may think, the world has no desire to frolic around you and the pit of misery you regurgitate on others!” She snapped the reigns and moved onwards as Jensen gave her a nasty look, the horses moving in a faster pace as he caught up to the elf. There was an uncomfortable silence between the two as Jensen looked to her, seeing the hurt in her eyes as she trotted along.

“Ouu, I’m Erissa Caedron. I can read minds; bow and worship my mighty telepathic powers,” Jensen muttered darkly. “That’s what you fucking sound like. All high and mighty, but without me you’d be dead. Shit without you…” Jensen felt the words in his chest boil upwards, but he caught himself as the bloody memory of the room where his dead fiancé resided flashed through his mind. He bit hard on his tongue, the pain shooting through and carving the images away. He shook his head, looking back to Erissa with a glare. She glanced at him, a tear staining her silken face as she looked to him. Without even asking he assumed that even though she didn’t hear his words, she read his thoughts. His memory couldn’t belay his feelings of anger.

“So is that what you feel? That had I not been with you she may live?” she choked, her own personal guilt bitter on her tongue. Jensen looked to her, a grimace of frustration marring lips that usually carried a smile and a light-hearted grin. Jensen shook his head as he looked away from her and moved his horse onwards.

“No,” Jensen muttered. “Of course not. No matter what, Cassandra was the one who killed her, and despite anything I could have done, I wasn’t there for her. I failed Stephanie, and I can’t even blame a leaf licker like you for it.” He slashed the reigns across the horse and he began to pick up speed.

“Jensen!” Erissa called after him.

“Try not to fucking get killed on your way to Gisela,” Jensen shouted back to her as he kicked Magnus onwards, the horse trotting quickly down a less traveled path. He spurred beast of burden onwards, the steed’s head bobbing up and down as Jensen whipped it faster and faster. A merry-go-round of emotions played within his mind as he thought about the year he'd had.

“Who the fuck does she think she is?” Jensen spat to the horse. In response he merely jumped an overturned log and kept moving forwards. “To be fair, who the fuck do I think I am?” He carried himself at the high speed, feeling the wind flair into his nostrils, whistling in his ears as his hair beat back, spurring his mount faster and faster. He let his breeze blow his troubled mind back to a serene calmness.

When he hit a riverbank he followed it up all the way for miles, letting the sun touch his skin and allowing his mind wander in the speed of the horse. His only thought was to keep slashing the reigns and kicking the steed faster and faster. Magnus had no indications that he was troubled by the high pace and Jensen lowered himself to a tighter position, his head near the horse.

“<As fast as the wind will take you, Magnus,>” Jensen whispered near the horse’s ear. The beast twitched twice, and with a whinny of approval the he put on a real spurt of speed. Magnus sprinted, his hooves clobbering the ground and kicking the dirt up behind him like the blazing trail of a pioneer. The foliage began to lose definition; the air seemed to buzz as the immortal took hold of the reigns tightly in one hand, and let his other fly haplessly in the wind. His jacket whipped him as it fluttered, the leather snapping and creaking as he focused his all into the gallop.

When they hit the top speed Jensen felt his eyes burn, the billowing wind stinging his eyes, yet he felt the elation of the moment die as quickly as it came. He looked ahead, seeing the red strands of hair that were so familiar to him. He reached a hand out to grab hold of them, determination in his face as he ground his teeth. Yet when he felt he was close enough, he lifted his hand out too far and he collapsed off the mount, the red hair brushing his fingers long enough for him to regret not fully grasping them. He smacked into a rock and spun in a tight roll into the air. He flailed around uselessly, his mind unable to focus enough to conjure the wind around his form like he had been trained. All he could master was the realization he had failed just like he failed his love, and he accepted whatever cruel fate awaited him. He slammed into a tree, body rolling up the thick branch before he fell down hard on a another rock, his right shoulder erupting in white hot agony.

Magnus slowed himself down as he steadied his gait to a walk, before turning back. The horse stopped mere feet away, bowing down low and pushing his nose against the immortal’s face. Jensen patted him weakly as he stood, feeling the ache of his broken arm. He had trouble standing; every muscle was now feeling like it was on fire, and he gasped in pain when he extended his feet. At least they weren’t broken.

“Here I am, telling Erissa to not get herself killed, and I’m a quarter of the way done myself.” The horse gave a stamp of its hoof, head shaking as it lowered again to toss the reigns to the side.

“Oh, <thanks,>” Jensen muttered. Magnus stepped forwards as Jensen grabbed the leather, the horse’s head coming under his shoulder in a supporting way. The immortal swayed with a groan and looked to the forest around him. He shook his head. “<Guess no matter how fast you go, you will never catch a fleeting dream.>” Magnus merely bayed and stamped his feet. Jensen caught the hint that he wanted to move on, and groggily he climbed aboard in a half-assed manner, just diving over so his stomach rested across the saddle. “<Let us make way, and mind the bumps.>”

With a gentle trot the beast moved onwards as Jensen sighed to himself, his broken arm raging with pain and the only thing keeping him even remotely calm was his discipline in fighting, as well as the experience of it happening so many times in his many lives.

“Magnus,” Jensen said loudly with a defeated tone.

The horse whinnied lightly. “<Tell Erissa or Lucious what happened, and I shall murder you.>” Magnus snorted once in response as Jensen felt the pain softly take over.
    I could laugh...
    ...Till I die!

GP

Name
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver-tinged White
    Eye Color
    Green-blue
    Build
    5'5", 105
    Job

View Profile
    Faces in the crowd gaped; cupped hands hid curious whispers all around the high elf as she sat, stunned, on her horse. She stared down the north road and watched his figure disappear, her jaw hanging open. After a few moments, Erissa shook her head and became very aware of the stares that rested upon her, the weight of which was oppressive. Self-conscious, she quickly adjusted herself on Lucious' back; at her command, the white horse picked through the bustling night-crowd down through the southern road.

Well, the plan was terrible, but it worked... too well, she thought. Erissa sighed heavily, gazing blankly at the homely buildings around her. Jensen had struck upon her single greatest fear, that she had slowed him down in the Forest, delaying his return. She did not need to read his thoughts to fill in the blank with her own. And yet, he had relieved her of that guilt; her partner was not one to say frivolous things to spare her feelings.

The horse carried her to the outskirts of Underwood, and they passed into the quiet boughs of Concordia, away from prying eyes. The arcanist moved forward cautiously; not even the starlight in the inky black night filtered through the branches, and Erissa was hard-pressed to see where she was going.

“<Halt,>” she commanded Lucious; her ears had caught a slight rustle above the normal whisper of the wind through the leaves. As quickly as she could, heart pounding, the arcanist conjured a bolt of prismatic energy at her fingertips, and cast it in the direction from which she had heard the noise. The bolt moved slowly, illuminating the disused road and trunks of trees in flashes as it sailed through them.

Nothing, she thought. “<Quickly, Lucious, follow it,>” Erissa said softly, and the great horse lurched ahead, following the light. With a thought, the high elf caused the energy to turn sharply to the north, deeper into the forest and off the path. “<As fast as you can, safely,>” she commanded the horse, and at her word he increased his speed, hooves striking so silently he passed like a ghost through the trees.

As the horse and rider dodged and weaved through the forest, always making their way northwest to meet with the northern road, Erissa troubled about the unexpected fight she had had with Jensen. She constructed an veritable litany of reasons why she would never willfully pry into his mind, his memories, and the moral wrongs of doing so.

“Why do I even care?” the high elf blurted out to the stoic trees, though she already knew the answer. The life of an immortal could be very lonely; she knew as much from the words of her teacher and of the man she accompanied. She had never told Jensen, but she would never age; in her own way, the young elf was also immortal. In an entropy-cursed world, filled to bursting with sadness and pain, it would be nice to have a companion with whom she could laugh at it all. That is, of course, if she could manage to not be killed, by malice or accident, and Jensen had proven adept at preventing both circumstances.

Lucious chortled softly as he caught sight of the wide, northern road linking Underwood and Radasanth, bringing Erissa back from her wheel-spinning. The orb of energy sputtered and dissipated before them as they entered the break in the trees. She searched the road for her fellow Knight; their plan was to meet and travel to Akashima together, the place in the gunman's memory, but Erissa began to wonder if Jensen actually meant what he said. His parting words of Gisela were a misdirection, she knew as much, but she did not believe he would leave her to the road alone. The high elf chewed on her fingernail for a moment, then with resolve, guided her horse northward, away from Underwood and toward the Combe mountains.

“<He did not even wait for us, Lucious. Such a gentleman->” she began, but the horse interrupted her with a whinny. Erissa paused, studying the strange sight before her; the small bit of light from the moon was hardly sufficient, but she thought she saw a riderless horse, a dark horse just like... “Magnus!” she cried, and the horse's head whipped around. “<Come!>” As he trotted toward her, it became very clear he was bearing something slumped across his back. Erissa whipped her leg behind her and dismounted; she ran to Jensen and attempted to lift him by his shoulders.

“Ouch!” he yelled. “Not the shoulder – ow – be careful,” he groaned.

“Jensen, what happened to you?”

“There were five, no six, six of them. Ambushed me,” he said as she slid off the opposite side of the horse. When his feet hit the road, his legs were unable to support his weight and he fell to the ground. Erissa shoved Magnus aside and dropped to her knees beside the man.

“Where are they now? Are any alive?” she asked.

“No, I got them all, but it was close,” he said.

“They must have been Oblivion's agents. That monster,” Erissa muttered. “Jensen, I can heal you, but I will not make it very far afterward. You know how it exhausts me, so I can only get you on your feet again. Where does it hurt the worst?” Jensen pointed to his broken arm, and Erissa nodded, working her skill on it, mending flesh and bone, easing aching muscles. “The rest will have to wait,” she said, running a hand along his cheek. “But you should be able to ride.” The speech she had prepared for him vanished from her mind; she could find no words to say. A tear began to form, blurring her vision. Erissa stepped back, stealthily wiping the moisture away. She turned to Magnus. “<Are you injured?>” she asked, stroking his velvety nose and searching the horse's memories of his part in the attack.

A very interesting scene played in her mind.

“There were six, you say?” she asked in a strange voice.

“Coulda been more,” Jensen groaned as he rose to his feet. “It was dark.”

“Hm,” Erissa grunted, both her jaw and her resolve set. “Perhaps we should go back to the bodies to look for information.”

“No, I already checked. There was nothing.”

“Are you sure?” Erissa asked, turning to face the man. She raised an eyebrow. “It would seem to me that you were in no condition to thoroughly check the bodies, what with your broken arm.”

“Oh, uh,” he stuttered. “It wasn't as bad as it looked. My training has, uh, conditioned me to pain.” He reached to the back of his head and scratched, grimacing as he hit a tender spot.

“I am sure it has,” Erissa said, still deciding whether or not she should be angry, and at the same time, fighting back a smile. “But still, I would like to look over the bodies. Just to be safe.”

“I told you! I already did. There wasn't anything! Dammit, elf!” he spat.

“Hmmmm,” Erissa said, arms crossed, one hand to her chin, fingers tapping. “I stay out of your memories, Jensen, despite what you might think. But perhaps I should check Magnus' in case he saw something you did not.” Jensen narrowed his eyes at her.

“Don't you dare take advantage of him like that,” Jensen said quickly. “He's got feelings, too, you know.”

“Oh for the love of,” Erissa began, her palm going to her forehead. “Would you just admit you fell off the horse?” His eyes widened, and his mouth worked like a fish's as he attempted to speak. He kicked at the dirt, then groaned at the pain it caused. Finally, defeated, he slumped his shoulders.

“I fell off the horse.”

“Was that so hard?” Erissa asked mockingly, but she quickly checked herself, still wary from the confrontation in Underwood.

“Yes!” Jensen growled. “In fact it was.” He looked angrily at Erissa. “I thought you said you'd stay out of my mind,” he muttered, then mounted the beast.

“I did. I was simply checking Magnus for injuries that might prevent him from carrying you.” The man glowered at his steed.

“<I told you not to tell,>” he grunted, pulling the horse's head around by the reins.

“Jensen, I apologize for earlier,” Erissa said, climbing onto her own horse. “It was a bad idea and I went about it all wrong. But at the very least, it worked.”

“Yeah, whatever. It's okay,” the immortal muttered. Erissa smiled at him as the horses carried them forward, waiting expectantly. He glanced over at her. “What?” he asked. Erissa squinted at him, head cocked to the side and top lip slightly curled.

“Well, this is the part where you say 'Erissa, I'm sorry, too,'” the high elf said with her best Jensen impression. She laughed lightheartedly. “Hah! It does not even sound right when I say it, much less to imagine it coming out of your mouth. It is okay, Jensen; I forgive you.”

“You – forgive...” the immortal rasped at her and shrugged. He looked over at her again, a half-smile creeping across his face. “You're not giving up on this friend thing, are you.” It was more an admission than a question.

“No,” the elf chirped.

“Why?” he asked her, genuinely curious, and she could see the confusion on his face even in the darkness. Her eyes softened as she smiled at him.

“You may think you are a terrible person, Jensen Ambrose, but you are wrong. I see in you the very same thing the others who care about you see. It is what is in here,” she said, leaning all the way over to tap his chest with her index finger. “What I see when I look at you is what differentiates a normal man from a great man. You do what needs to be done, no matter how difficult it might be.

“And truly! How amazing is it that you are immortal? You traverse the ages like a giant treading mountains.” Erissa paused, wanting to say more but unable to find the words. “Your friendship would mean more to me than you realize,” she finally said. The smirk had slowly faded from his face, and Jensen looked at the elf briefly, wonder-struck.

“Huh. Maybe... you know,” Jensen began, regaining his composure, “I could just lop off those points on your ears, and douse you with some perfume.” Erissa rolled her eyes at him and laughed again.

“Oh, Jensen,” she sighed. “You are hopeless.”

“So what does that make you for trying?” he asked, laughing.
    Last edited by Sagequeen; 09-12-12 at 10:30 AM.

Sexy Immortal
    GP

Name
    Jensen Ambrose
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black Red Tips
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11, 154
    Job

As the two horses clopped along the road, Jensen observed the night air with a sort of reverence and calm. As if something inside was ticking away slowly, he looked back to the elf and sighed to himself. A prominent memory of a time Stephanie had once traversed the night with him gave him a pained expression that he hid in the veil of shadows the night cast over them. With a grimace, he decided to let his warrior’s soul take over for a bit to distract him. He recalled the events that took place recently, giving a cold and detached 'fact or fiction' approach to every piece like it was the missing jigsaw to the puzzle of Oblivion.

He had sent idiots to test them, a polite cough to warn them he was onto them. He broke into the Ixian Castle and ransacked the immortal’s room. This showed that he had a severe pool of resources to call upon, not to mention nobody knew who the hell this guy was even supposed to be. With the connections that Jensen hypothesized Oblivion had, the immortal came to the conclusion the man was fully secure to watch and wait. There was a good chance that at the two major ports on Corone a set up would be ready and waiting. Gisela, or Akashima. The plan was to throw off the trail, taking the long way over the Combe mountains to Akashima while looking like they headed for Gisela, but even that would be a fruitless endeavor if Oblivion was as good as they say.

However, Akashima had to be their next point. There was no alternative. He had heard the great libraries there housed potent, powerful knowledge of all things around the world. It could take a long time searching, but it was the best chance they had, despite how much he hated the idea of waiting for the answer to be found. In fact, he almost felt like a sitting duck, but his mind was already made up. This was their last chance to get a lead on Oblivion, and use that with his plan of attack.

Jensen had a plan in his mind since the minute he calmed his nerves after the first battle back in Underwood. He decided that now, in the darkness, was the best opportunity to explain his plan to Erissa. He slowed his horse enough for Lucious to catch up, trotting next to the elf. She gave her attention to him, her sparkling eyes latching onto his with the softest of smiles. Before too much time had passed, the immortal blurted words to break the uncomfortable feeling he had looking at her.

“Plan!” he stuttered like a dolt. Erissa tilted her head in confusion, and even both horses lifted their heads with a soft whine. “The plan of plans!” Jensen struck his finger out so it rested just under the elf’s nose. She giggled, holding her head back, and Jensen removed his offending digit.

“Okay,” Erissa said politely. “Care to share?”

“No, I want you to read my mind,” Jensen said earnestly. “Just poke in there, grab what you need. No time for pleasantries.” Jensen closed his eyes and prepared for the…whatever the hell it would feel like when she invaded his mind. There was the sound of skin slapping forehead as Erissa groaned in slight irritation. Jensen popped an eye open. “What? It’s a great plan!” he chided defensively. Erissa shook her head as she spoke in a strict manner.

“I am sure it is and I have no reason to deny that, especially since I do not know what it is! Jensen, I already told you, several times, that I don’t read minds, I read memories!” Jensen gave her a quizzical look. With the heaviest of sighs she elaborated. “I read your past, not your thoughts.” Jensen still blinked several times.

“Memories!” Erissa tried to explain with strain.

“What does my breasts have to do with this?” Jensen jiggled his chest area. Erissa gaped at him.

“For the love of… Memories, not mammories! Things that already happened! Not… whatever you are thinking!” Erissa blushed in the dark.

“So…you have to read my thoughts through my chest, like your Heartsong?” Jensen smirked as he grinned, but Magnus bayed loudly, lifting Jensen up as his steed whinnied. “<Whoa boy! Calm down! What is it?>” Jensen looked through the forest for signs of danger, but Erissa merely looked to the horse and nodded once.

“<Thank you, Magnus,>” the elf said kindly, then looked to Jensen with a smirk. “He had a memory of you acting like a childish simpleton. He would like you to move on to the point. Now what is this plan of plans?” Jensen looked down to his mount, patting it twice on the neck, and looked back to the Elf with a more serious, grim look.

“I’m from an old order of Knights. Very old. Like, before the demon wars of Althanas were all the rage. It’s known as the Knights of Apocalypse. We’re a shadow organization trained since birth to kill those who are evil, and those who are good. We believed in balancing the world into a grey neutral state. Only then could judgment be passed, and the Apocalypse could begin.”

“I remember you telling me of them. Go on,” Erissa said sweetly as she hung onto his words. Jensen rubbed the back of his head.

“Well you see, we had five strongholds: The Palace of War, the Fortress of Famine, the Labyrinth of Pestilence and Death’s Cradle. Each one was located in a remote region of Althanas to monitor and carry out the will of the council. The Palace is in Fallien, the Labyrinth is in Raieria, the Fortress is in Scara Brae, and the Cradle is in Salvar.” Erissa nodded to herself as she processed the information.

“Yes, a wide network indeed. It covers most of the continents, I would assume. But what do you intend to do with these landmarks, Jensen?” The immortal gave her a sheepish grin.

“You are thinking narrowly here. We have a wide network of locations, processing and dispatching knights all over Althanas. Could you imagine the logistical nightmare, even if each fortress carried their own?” Erissa pondered it for a moment before she caught the birth of an idea.

“You said five locations, but you have yet to tell me the fifth,” she mused tapping a contemplative finger to her chin. “I’m going to assume this fifth location is in charge of just that, the management of personnel and resources.”

“The Bastion of the Apocalypse,” Jensen masked his tone with mystery. “A fortress all its own, the largest by far of the five, and the home of the thousands of serfs and scribes who tend to the whims of the Horsemen. Yes, the Bastion was where all the orders were assigned; the resting place of the council. I could get technical if you would like,” Jensen mumbled as an afterthought. “You have four scribes each dedicated to the lead of one of the other castles, then four warriors dedicated to scrying and divinations of the horsemen’s will, and at last the four Avatars, er,” Jensen winced at that word. “Champions of the Horsemen. Twelve bodies who sit and discuss who is to be killed, and who is best suited for the job. The final say in everything is the Aspect of the Apocalypse; the Herald of the End Times, Lord Ragnarok. A solitary individual who bares the full fury of the end times and technically knows the song that would end the world. Used in good health, mind you. All of them are dead now anyways.”

Erissa’s ears perked at that last comment.

“All of them?” she asked. Jensen shrugged.

“Well, if we are being specific, no. Obviously when the End Bringer came people like Adolph, Stephanie and I were assigned missions. There are stragglers; remnants of the order still alive. But our ways are now defunct and dead. Messy, long story. Tell you about it later,” Jensen insisted, raising a hand to stop further inquiry.

As they neared the mountain pass Jensen looked to Magnus and Lucious and spoke loudly. “<Can you both ride in the night and all day tomorrow?>” There was a stubborn whinny from both as they picked up speed, taking up the challenge with enthusiasm. “Good, I want to gain as much distance as we can. We’ll be riding all night and day tomorrow, pausing only for a lunch and then moving on. Sorry, by the way, but we need to be cautious.” Jensen gave her an apologetic look as the elf shook her head.

“I was thinking the same thing. Besides, with you at my side I’m sure no danger will be able to sneak up on us!” She smiled to him warmly, a look he didn’t return to her; he felt a jab of pain in his chest. The bloody images began to surface, but with a shake of his head, he spoke in a calm manner the last and most important reason why he began this story.

“The tale has a point,” Jensen continued. “You see, there is a chamber in the Bastion of the Apocalypse that the Council used to determine where a target was located. Never failed. It’s known as the Chamber of Fate."

“And using that, we can find Oblivion! Jensen, that is a good plan!”

“Hate to burst your bubble, but it’s all we got. We have no clue how many aliases he’s hiding behind. I have all my life to search for him, but you? Well, you are a smelly leaf licker…” he teased with a chuckle. “Don’t worry though,” Jensen whispered loudly to her as his chuckles died to determination. “I won’t fail you. I’ll… keep you safe, bush humper.”

There was a silence between them before Jensen looked to her, feigning a smile that he wasn’t sure was meant to ease her nerves, or his own.
    Last edited by Enigmatic Immortal; 03-15-12 at 10:58 AM.
    I could laugh...
    ...Till I die!

GP

Name
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver-tinged White
    Eye Color
    Green-blue
    Build
    5'5", 105
    Job

View Profile
    The night crept on like an addled snake, and the Ixian Knights trudged onward to the Combe mountains to the north. Just as dawn lit the world around them, Erissa's eyes began to close against her will. The high elf bounced in her saddle a few times, trying to rouse herself. Jensen chuckled at her.

“You wouldn't have lasted a week back in my day, in the Knights of Apocalypse,” he said, smirking haughtily at her.

“What was that, old man?” Erissa asked. “Back in your day?”

“You really just called me 'old man?'” Jensen asked with a bemused frown.

“Yes. And speaking of old men, <how are the two of you?>” she asked the horses. They had not slowed their pace throughout the night, yet they both snorted eagerly, and she turned back to Jensen. “Not bad, considering they are, oh, I think, about five hundred years old now.” The man's eyes widened, and Erissa nodded to reaffirm her statement. “Troyas has trained them from the time they were foals. As you can tell, they are smarter than the average horse, thanks to a little fairy magic, but it is Troyas who keeps them from aging.” Erissa bit her lower lip, considering whether or not she should continue. Jensen was silent for a few moments, and he finally scratched Magnus' neck.

“<And how do you feel about that?>” he asked the horse, who neighed happily. “You know, you forgot that letter from your father.” Erissa's lighthearted expression was murdered by a scowl.

“I did not forget it; I just have not found a fire yet in which I can throw it!”

“You mean you're not even going to read it?” Jensen asked, incredulous.

“Why should I bother? Most likely, he is demanding I come home, and not because he worries for me. Instead, he wants to use my standing with the Ixian Knights to further his own pursuits.” Erissa dropped the reins and crossed her arms in a huff. “No, actually, I am willing to wager that is exactly what he wants.” She dug through her satchel and pulled out the cream-colored envelope, and tossed it at Jensen. “Read it. If I am right, then you have to stop insulting me with your various elf euphemisms. You are still free to insult him, though, as much and as often as you like.” Jensen chuckled at her, entertained by her theatrics.

“Fine. But if you're wrong, what do I get?” he asked, a grin on his face. “I can think of something.”

“Jensen! Just read it!” Erissa said, blushing. “I was making a point, not... Will you just read it?” Laughing harder, the immortal unceremoniously ripped the envelope open, discarding it on the road behind.

Dearest Daughter,” he began, reading the beautiful script and translating from Elvish to Common as he read. “I am overlooking the disrespect you have shown me by not responding to my previous letters, and I am extending a good faith offer to you. A position with the Bards has become available, and I have secured it for you once you complete the necessary academy training. I am willing to forgive you for your behavior with that man, and for abandoning your mother and me, but this is not an offer that will last. This is your last chance to be welcome in Caedron Hall, and if you do not take it, then you are no daughter of mine. Yours, Ellear Caedron.” Jensen looked over at Erissa, who shook her head, fuming with intense anger. “What's this? Innocent little Erissa Caedron, misbehaving and disobeying her daddy? That's rich!” He threw his head back and laughed, but the jubilation faded quickly when he looked at her again. “What?”

“I win the wager. And I do not want to talk about it, Jensen,” she said quietly. He eyed Erissa, intrigued.

“So there is a man in your life?”

“I do not know, and I said I do not want to talk about it,” she reasserted, glaring at him.

“You don't know?” he asked, throwing his hands in the air. “That's not right. Now you gotta tell me. We got a long road ahead and I'm bored.”

“Why?” Erissa spat. “So you can add this to your arsenal of things about which you can make fun of me?” He chuckled again, shaking his head.

“Nah. Knight's honor,” he promised. “Come on! I hardly know anything about you.” She sighed heavily, scrutinizing him.

“Very well,” Erissa said finally. “All my life, my father has manipulated every part of my existence, always looking for his own gain. He was not pleased I was a tailor, even though I was very accomplished. I met a man, Virlas, who helped me in a time of great need. He also reminded me of someone I lost; I was not always an only child. I had an older brother, a soldier who died in battle, when I was still very young. I found a small piece of happiness again in Virlas' company. It was the treachery of my servant, Arienne, that caused my father to place a bounty on his head, believing that I was having an illicit relationship with him. I was not, but Virlas left, for fear of losing his life. You see, my father seethes at the thought of his daughter diluting his pure, elven bloodline. You hate elves, and my father has a hatred for humans to rival it.

“After my servant's treachery, my latent power - telekenesis, energy manipulation, healing - was awakened. My father latched on to that immediately, realizing that he could make better use of me. So I left. Let me see... his last words to me were something along the lines of 'Now I will not have to wait for your children; you will train under the best tutors, and I will see to it you become the High Priestess.'” Erissa slumped in her saddle, and Jensen narrowed his eyes.

“So that guy, Virlas, just up and left? Didn't even put up a fight?” he asked. “What a pussy.”

“I wish it had been you,” Erissa said, frowning. “A bounty on your head is about as worthless as the paper it is written on, and there would not have been a single thing he could have.... Oh!” Erissa's eyes widened; her hand covered her mouth, before dropping to the saddle horn. “I mean, not you, but... I, ahem. You know what I mean,” she sputtered, completely flustered.

“That'd be the fucking day,” Jensen said, rolling his eyes. “Still, I hope I meet your father one day. He sounds fun.” A mischievous grin flickered on his face; mirth danced in his eyes.

“Promise?” Erissa asked, an uncharacteristically wicked laugh escaping her lips. They rode on, each lost in thought and the Combe Mountains looming ever closer. Erissa abruptly broke the silence. “To tell you the truth, I wonder about what I actually felt for Virlas. Troyas warned me that my affection for him was misplaced, that I was attached to how he reminded me of my brother. Perhaps he is right. I know it was not my brother trapped in that tree in the Red Forest, but seeing Tanus die, well, it seemed to bring some closure for me, at least as far as my sorrow for his loss.” Jensen did not respond, instead he looked away from her, hiding the sadness in his eyes. His own memory of the event replayed in his mind, and the image of a very different person was trapped in the cursed tree as he drove his dagger into the heart of it.

“We should leave the road now,” he said, changing the subject. “We can't take the road through the mountains; it's a choke point that's easily watched.”

“You want to climb through the mountains?” Erissa asked, eyebrows high. “I'm not sure...”

“That's exactly what I want to do,” Jensen interrupted. “I know this land better than you, and I know a way we can get the horses through as well. Can you lift them?”

“I do not know,” Erissa said. “I have not yet tried anything that heavy.” Jensen scratched the stubble on his chin.

“We'll make do. Worst case, we just leave the horses behind. They're smart enough to find their way home, right?” he asked, and Erissa nodded. Jensen guided Magnus off the road, and Erissa's horse followed closely. Within a half hour, the quartet arrived at the rolling foundations of the mountains. Jensen pointed at a game trail. “We'll follow that. It winds around a lot, but it's the best way.”

“Alright,” Erissa said, nodding. “I trust you.” The Knights slipped from their mounts, and Jensen led, guiding his horse by the reins among the worn and broken rocks that barred the way. Erissa yawned loudly, her eyelids heavy for lack of sleep. The usually graceful elf tripped on a tuft of grass and tumbled to the ground. Jensen whipped around, and, taking her hand, helped her to her feet; he looked at her with concern in his eyes.

“Just a little farther, Erissa. We need to get where we can't be seen, then we'll rest. Can you make it?” he asked. His own body screamed from the tumble he took earlier and the hours of being on horseback. The high elf wiped her eyes and nodded, squinting against the late-morning sun. “You gotta pay attention,” he warned. “This is the easy part.” She nodded again, then shook her hands and jumped in place, trying to fight the sleepiness.

“I can make it,” she assured him; Jensen sighed worriedly, his eyes scanning the trail as it wound along the ever-heightening ground. The great crowns of the mountains were capped in pure white, and if it were any indication of the temperature, they would have a frigid evening. They silently followed the trail, moving slowly and leaping across small chasms and broken rocks; and Jensen scratched the back of his head absently as he looked at the incredibly narrow ledge they would be forced to manage.

“Here,” he said, exhausted, pointing to a small, somewhat flat area. “Let's rest here and get some food. You can sleep for a little while, but we gotta make it out of here before nightfall, if it's at all possible.” Erissa gave a grateful nod and removed a saddlebag bearing some of the food Troyas had packed for them.

“Troyas, you are the best,” she said as she removed sandwiches of roasted meat and cheese from the bag. “Look, Jensen; they are still hot.” Erissa laughed tiredly. “Enchanted sandwiches for lunch, and – yes. A side of stuffed mushrooms. Next time you feel like insulting him, maybe you should reconsider.”

“Nope,” he said, grabbing a sandwich and greedily stuffing his mouth. “But they are pretty good. I'll give him that.” He swallowed without much chewing, then popped a few mushrooms in his mouth. Erissa shook her head at him as she struggled to spread a large linen cloth on the ground, fighting with the chilly, howling breeze as it caught the blanket on the scrubby bushes ringing the clearing.

“I suppose it is time I tend to your wounds,” Erissa said, “and then I will rest.” She motioned for Jensen to join her, and he grimaced as he sat. “What, no complaints?” she asked, shifting to her knees behind him. He shrugged non-nonchalantly in response, but immediately stiffened as her hands worked against his neck and shoulders, massaging his aching muscles. “Relax!” she commanded. “Your muscles are in knots, and I need to loosen them. It is better this way - it uses less of my energy.” As she repaired his body by both her magical means and a bit of elbow grease, Jensen felt the warmth and strength leave her hands. When she yawned loudly, he turned to her; Erissa was pale and shivering in the cool, mountain air.

“Get some rest,” he said, easily rising to his feet. He swung his arms back and forth, stretching his back.

“Jensen?” Erissa asked, curling up on the wide cloth and pulling her cloak over her.

“Yeah?”

“What do you think Oblivion wants with the ambrosia essence? The fruit was as corrupt as the tree and the Red Forest itself. It cannot be anything good.”

“You don't say,” he retorted sarcastically. “What do all bad guys want?”

“Hmmm,” Erissa said, laughing weakly as she closed her eyes. “Power, control. My father taught me all about that.”

“Yep. They just go about getting it differently.” As he spoke, Erissa wrestled with the cloth as the wind tugged at it.

“It frightens me to think that he could become more powerful. He already has his vial, which is an endless source of magical power. What could be more than that...” Erissa trailed off, her soft snore an indicator of just how exhausted she was. The elf's shivering was apparent and the midday sun did little to warm her.
    Last edited by Sagequeen; 09-26-12 at 03:38 PM.

Sexy Immortal
    GP

Name
    Jensen Ambrose
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black Red Tips
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11, 154
    Job

Jensen had his back turned to the elf for a moment, just a mere second, and when her voice trailed off he spun quickly around, his jacket whipping in the breeze of his turn. His head already swarmed with dark thoughts; a hand went to his daggers, but when he saw the shivering elf snoozing sweetly, he lowered his guard and chuckled to himself, rubbing the back of his head.

“Tired yourself out,” Jensen taunted, releasing a low whistle. He rotated his ex-broken shoulder and grimaced, but not in pain. A certain guilt washed over him knowing he was pushing her too far. She was, after all, just a tailor. She was not used to the stress Jensen endured to be able to function like he was now. His limbs were tired, that wasn’t even a question, but he was in control of his mind and he had the discipline to keep moving.

With a gentle tug from the wind he felt his jacket flap behind him, a warmth emanating from the names on the back he had stitched in the lining long ago. He looked to Erissa, seeing her flesh spawn fresh little bumps from the cold, and he groaned in annoyance as he smoothly lifted his coat up and off in a practiced motion. He dusted it once or twice, the weapons he had stowed in it clattering to the ground. He walked towards the woman and wrapped her body in the fabric. Her hands instantly crawled up to the edges and pulled it around her, making a cute little sound before softly snoring again.

Jensen returned to his weapons and flipped each one up in the air before placing it on his belt or in a holster, pulling out his leather fighting gloves to make room for one of his throwing glaives. He let the leather creak as he pulled the gloves onto his fingers, wiggling them to get the maximum comfort. He looked over the ledge of the mountain, eyes casting a worried glance at the forest, and with a grim shake of his head he knew they should keep moving. Regardless of how tired Erissa was, they couldn’t waste any time resting. He turned back to her, and let out a sigh of annoyance.

The elf was out for the count, and it was partly his fault for injuring himself.

He looked to Magnus and Lucious, both grazing not far off and he spotted a rather decent sized boulder he could climb. He headed towards his companion, and with a bit of a strain he carefully lifted Erissa in his arms and walked her towards the boulder.

“Magnus,” Jensen said sternly. “<Hold still by the boulder. We are mounting for two. Lucious, you follow behind us, and run further ahead if you detect trouble. Understood, my friends?>” he asked. They both whinnied and tossed their heads, Magnus trotting towards the rock where Jensen could use it as a platform to get situated on his mount, and Lucious not more than a few paces behind. The two watched as Jensen carefully jumped onto the boulder with Erissa in arms, his limbs protesting the sudden need to lift anything more than his hands. He struggled as he managed to find a good footing, and with a wince of anticipation jumped into the saddle. Magnus stirred a bit as the immortal adjusted in his seat, letting out a silent cry of pain from his nether regions and juggling Erissa in his arms until she sat side saddle, but rested against the inside of his arms.

With a slash of the reigns Magnus was off again, Lucious in tow, as the trio rode up the mountain pass. Erissa’s eyes opened for a brief moment, but with a thwack on her nose and a whisper for her to shut up and sleep she found no will power to argue, her head careening and nuzzling until she rested comfortably in his arms.

“Freaking elf,” Jensen muttered. “Knew she was getting fresh with me…” Jensen mumbled more obscenities as he tightened his grip on the reigns, and used a free hand to keep the jacket tight around her.

~*~*~

For the remainder of the day Erissa slept, her eyes opening once or twice before she nudged herself back into comfort and slept some more. Jensen’s eyes began to sag as red lines pieced the whites of them, his breathing ragged and head bobbing on its own in time with the horses. He urged them to keep a steady trot in the mountain pass. If there was ever a good time to keep themselves ahead of would be trackers, now was it. Magnus carried them both flawlessly as he offered no signs of discomfort, but when the sun began to fall and the crescent moon shown brighter, his pace slowed.

Jensen looked to the purple sky, his eyes filled with silent wonder. Long ago, back when he was twelve, his first lover Chanele Kim-Hotep had dragged him out of his bedroom to come and see the first signs of the night. She led him all the way up to the tallest tower, giggling as she held his hand tightly. He laughed with her, wondering what was up as she urged him higher and higher, until at last they reached the top of tower. There she rolled out a barrel and pulled out a supply blanket and pillow from it, clearly something she stashed earlier, and set it up for them to rest under.

That night they both sat looking up at the stars, her head resting on his chest as he stroked her raven black hair, pointing to new stars and watching the constellations birth into the new night. It was a memory that carried him a bit further, and when the gentleness of the night took over the duty of the sky so the sun could rest, he felt the weariness of his eyes start to take over.

Jensen felt his chin fall to his chest, soft hair nuzzled against his stubble as he was too tired to care. He let a bit of drool escape his lips, a small dabble that sent him deep into his own sleep. His free hand gripped his jacket across Erissa’s waist, keeping it shut and also stabilizing her. His hand on the reigns slipped low enough for him to cup Erissa’s slender frame. He had no idea how long he had traveled like that until he felt his body start to slide to one side. He woke with a start, and a graceful, silk soft hand pressed against his chest neatly.

“It is okay,” Erissa whispered. “You should rest, Jensen. You have more than earned it.” The immortal felt his eyes grow heavy again, but with a snap of his head back and a quick shake he jumped to the ground and walked, stretching his muscles.

“I’ll take first watch tonight,” Jensen yawned loudly as he covered his mouth with one hand, the other half way to the moon as he let out a sigh of pleasure. Erissa slipped from the horse and placed her hands firmly on her hips.

“If I remember last time, you had spent all night watching me. You are exhausted Jensen, and I am well rested. You are weary; I am wide awake. There is nothing to be gained with you being up so much. Magnus and Lucious are winded as well, and they need to rest.”

“I’ll be fine, leaf licker,” Jensen sassed. “You know you just want to watch me sleep like a creepy stalker. Admit it.” Jensen mumbled. Erissa opened her mouth to speak, but instead kept it shut, a patronizing smile snagging her as she looked back to Lucious. The horse stamped his foot once as Erissa giggled, clearly having finished reading his memories.

“He thinks otherwise, but I will not argue the point,” she once again stepped forwards. “I have enough meal for us to last another day, and if we ride all night like yesterday we will be in Akashima. Rest for that trip, Jensen. You have already been awake for over seventy-two hours. You have strained your body enough.”

“I have not been up that long,” Jensen yawned again, cursing himself. Erissa stepped forwards slowly in an entrancing manner.

“You have,” she asserted softly.” I know you have not slept since you arrived in Underwood with little Azza. Now Jensen, do me a favor,” she was nearly in his face, lifting one hand to his chest. “Go. To. Sleep.” She pushed gently on his flesh with a smile, and Jensen felt his will crumble.

“Fine, just don’t let anyone sneak up on us. Go ahead and keep the jacket tonight, it’s supposed to be cold and you’re a lightweight,” he mumbled tiredly as he collapsed on the spot in a dramatic fashion, curling upon himself as he easily zoned out and felt the darkness grip his vision. He looked to the inside of his eyelids and took a deep breath.

True he cared for the safety of his charge, but there was one teeny problem with his sleep as of late, and the notion of going back to the hell that awaited him in his dreams gave the immortal no comfort as the screams began to grow upon his thoughts.
    I could laugh...
    ...Till I die!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast