Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In the Shadow of Oblivion (Closed)

EXP: 15,148, Level: 5
    Level completed: 20%, EXP required for next level: 4,852
    Level completed: 20%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,852
    GP

Name
    Erissa Alanorah Tarsul-Caedron
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver-tinged White
    Eye Color
    Green-blue
    Build
    5'5", 105
    Job
    Finery tailor, Ixian Knight

View Profile
    Just a kiss, just one little... she trailed in thought.

One common belief among many of those with very long lives, specifically elves with their thousands of years, was that one should not do what he or she might live a very long time to regret. And this, this 'one little kiss,' could be the end of a friendship that had just begun, that she had worked so diligently to achieve.

Erissa Caedron had thrown caution to the wind, goaded on by her companion's tendency to do just that. Not a drop of alcohol had passed her lips, and yet she was drunken in the moment, forgetting everything before and encapsulating that juncture where her lips met his for the very first time, and not giving a thought to the snowball of events that could possibly follow.

It was fortunate that moment had come as he dipped her in their seemingly choreographed dance, for it was very likely her knees would not have supported her if she bore her own weight. Jensen's kiss penetrated her, parting her willing lips as the advent of dawn does the petals of a flower.

As he slowly guided her back to standing, Jensen ran his hands along Erissa's sides to the small of her back, and she wrapped her arms around his midsection, first pulling away and staring earnestly into his eyes, then finally resting her head against his chest as they continued their dance, slow and close, to the beat of a new song the band had begun.

“What are you thinking about?” she whispered, craning her neck upward, her breath tickling his neck. Jensen laughed as he took a step back, his eyes searching the tallest parts of the ferry.

“Come on,” he said, taking her by the hand and leading her as they snaked through the socialites on the dance floor. Erissa giggled, hiking her dress so she could jog behind him, the other hand clamped firmly on his.

“Where are we going?” she asked breathlessly, her heart racing and stomach fluttering.

“Remember that time at the Ixian Castle?” he asked, laughing, as he swept her into his arms and began up the outside stairs, two by two, that led up the side of the cabins to the roof of the multi-decked ferry. “It was one of those days where nothing went right. But, you grabbed me by the hand...” Erissa's eyes danced as she remembered leading him, without telling him what they were doing, to the very top of the highest tower, where she had hidden a pillow and blanket in a supply barrel.

“How could I forget?” she said softly, her eyes sparkling as she relished in his retelling of the fond memory.

“Erissa, I would have followed you anywhere that night. You led me there, and...” he sighed, smiling as he set her down and threw his head back, looking up at the stars.

A steady breeze rushed as the ferry sliced through the water, and Jensen pulled her close, wrapping his jacket around the elf's bare arms. With a giggle and a flourish, he grabbed the open sides and yanked; as she crashed into him, he burrowed his face into her neck, kissing her urgently as his hands wandered downward along her back.

“There is something I have not told you, Jensen,” she said softly, to which he gave a muffled response she could not understand as he continued kissing toward her ear. “This is... serious,” Erissa said, bringing her hand to the back of his head and hugging him tightly. The immortal backed away slightly, a curious smile on his lips.

“Okay,” he said, narrowing his eyes. “I guess, if you gotta kill the mood...”

“Sit,” Erissa said, lowering herself to the floor and extending an arm in invitation. Jensen flopped down beside her, unabashed in the way he hoped the halter-top of her dress were just a little more loose as he teased it to the side in a caress. She giggled as she slapped his hand away, and cleared her throat. “You recall what I said about Troyas, that he will never die of old age?”

“Yes,” Jensen said warily, giving his full attention. “Don't fucking tell me he's treating you like one of his horses, keeping you-” he growled, his temper instantly rising.

“No!” Erissa said soothingly, her hand on his forehead, lightly moving to his jaw. “Nothing like that.” The elf took a deep breath, preparing to continue.

“Hey!” an angry voice called from the stairwell where the two had entered. “You're not supposed to be up here!”

“Says who?” Jensen challenged, rising to his feet.

“Says the captain,” the man said with finality. Erissa caught the glimmer in Jensen's eye, one with which she was very familiar, and she was by his side in an instant.

“We have a room, and more privacy there, you know,” she said softly, her lips brushing against his ear. Jensen smirked at the man who was approaching them menacingly.

“If you'll excuse me,” the immortal said to him with great sarcasm, “I have something to... attend to.” He wrapped his arm around the beautiful elf who, in the moonlight, could have been a statue dedicated to a goddess of beauty, expertly carved of flawless marble, and upon which he had hung a too-large jacket.

“I apologize for our intrusion,” Erissa said, smiling sweetly, “and I assure you we will not be of any further trouble to you.” The pot-bellied sailor nodded stupidly, cowed by Jensen's imposing physique and the elf's entrancing appearance, and the Knight made sure he firmly butted against the sailor's shoulder as they passed. With a laugh and wide gesture, Jensen guided Erissa to the stairs and followed her back down to their posh cabin.

Jensen quickly unlocked the door and confirmed their travel-worn satchels were in the place he had left them. Erissa shrugged out of his jacket and handed it to him, kissing his cheek; she retreated to the restroom to change. Her courage to tell him her secret was gone with the moment. Jensen kicked off his boots and flopped down one of the two beds, his hands behind his head as he stared at the ceiling. With a second thought, the man rose from the bed, stripped his shirt and pants off, and followed after her.

“Oh!” Erissa said, shocked as he burst through the door. She grabbed the towel she had used earlier to cover herself and tossed the gown on the porcelain counter, blushing and giggling at him. Jensen stalked across the tile toward her, drinking in her barely obscured body with the voracity of a man dying of thirst. Her eyes greedily took in his near-nudity with an abandonment of prudence. “When was the last time you bathed?” Erissa asked pertly. “I can still smell blood on you.” Inwardly, she cringed, expecting a snark reply, though she could not quite remember why.

“You gonna bathe me?” Jensen asked suggestively, his chuckle rumbling like the muted crash of waves against the ferry. The elf regarded him for a moment, weighing what few apprehensions she had remaining against... well, the gorgeous man standing before her.

The elf turned away from him, carefully wrapping the fluffy towel around her and securing it so it would not fall. With a coy glance over her shoulder, Erissa padded to the bathtub and began filling it with comfortably warm water. Without hesitation, Jensen slipped out of his undergarment before her, a picture of masculinity. Erissa cleared her throat, blinking several times through the haze of desire that clouded her mind.

Jensen sauntered to her, cocky in his self-assurance, knowing she was overcome with him. The blush in Erissa's cheeks deepened as his physical longing was on display, then pressed against her stomach as he held her close and kissed her deeply. The immortal carefully removed the clip from her hair, and the silver bundle cascaded down around her shoulders; he buried his hand in it, against the back of her head. She pressed herself, as closely as the physical body she possessed could manage, against him.

They stayed in that embrace, oblivious to the world around them, until a warm sensation on their feet demanded their immediate attention; the bathtub's water was spilling out onto the fine, wooden flooring. Laughing, Jensen turned the faucet off and Erissa retrieved several towels to sop up the mess.

“You missed a little, over here,” Jensen asserted, using his prowess against her as he snatched away her covering towel to soak up an imaginary puddle.

Erissa was beside herself as she hunched over, trying to cover herself with her arms before him. Jensen frowned with confusion as he stood without inhibition before her.

“What's wrong?” he asked.

“I – no one – I have never...” she stammered, her eyes full of apprehension.

“Erissa,” he said, remembering that though she was an elf, she was young, and he embraced her and kissed the top of her head. Jensen could not, for the lives of him, recall why he had ever hated her for her heritage. “Go on,” he said, swatting her backside. “I'll be out in a minute.” He returned the towel he had snatched away from her back to its place, but not without a poorly masked glace at her as she adjusted it. Erissa smiled, her eyes filled with emotion, before grabbing her nightclothes and stepping through the door. Jensen sighed and giggled as he shook his head, then plopped himself into the water, the mass of his body sending another wave to the ground as he bathed.

Outside, Erissa snuggled into her bed, a short nightgown replacing the towel. She glanced at the closed bathroom door, hearing Jensen's sloshing and wishing she had more nerve.

However, she thought, he is a gentleman, more than I ever thought he was...

Erissa stuttered in her thought, wondering why she had ever thought him ungentlemanly in the first place. He had always protected her, and his actions in the Red Forest spoke loudly.

He said that a Knight would never let go of his weapon, no matter what. For me, he dropped his in the forest... Of course, he had several others hidden, but that was beside the point.

Moments later, Jensen emerged, a towel wrapped around his waist and a playful grin on his face. Erissa smiled warmly at him and pulled back the edge of the covers.

“Lay with me?” she asked softly, her inviting green-blue eyes locked onto his. With a ravishing smile, he tossed the towel at her and pulled on his shorts.

“Told you, didn't I? You can't get enough of this,” he said, laughing as he joined her, leaving the second bed empty. Erissa sighed contentedly as she snuggled into the crook of his arm, her head resting gently on Jensen's chest.

“Eventually,” she said, her fingers tracing lazy circles on his torso, “we will have to visit my parents again.”

“Can't wait,” he said with a yawn.

“What was the first part of that dwarf joke anyway? I cannot remember for the life of me,” she said, giggling.

“Fuck if I remember. How long ago was that?” he asked, and she simply shrugged and nuzzled against him, more comfortable than she had ever felt in her life.

“I love you, Jensen Ambrose,” Erissa said in the last, fleeting moment of hazy awareness before slumber. “Just as you are...” She was asleep as the last word left her lips.
    Last edited by Sagequeen; 09-26-12 at 04:23 PM.
    Le onen guil hen, le velt farn a chuinad han - You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.

Sexy Immortal
    EXP: 149,516, Level: 16
    Level completed: 86%, EXP required for next level: 2,484
    Level completed: 86%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,484
    GP

Name
    Jensen Ambrose
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black Red Tips
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11, 154
    Job
    Senior Knight of the Apocalypse

Jensen’s world had neatly been picked up, taken carefully to a cliff that overlooked an abyss, and tossed without care into the void. Everything he knew was rewritten, every experience, every sensation. With Erissa, it was like he had died, and was reborn into a new, happy life. Erissa was always with him, through every hard time.

Yet his brain was wracked with pain, a horrible throbbing that threatened to consume him. He pinched the bridge of his nose to try to alleviate it, but to no avail. The only relief he felt was in his arms as Erissa’s little nose tucked into his chest, her white hair tickling his chin as she held onto him like the world would end if she didn’t. When Jensen lifted his hand up he saw a flash of red, but with a blink and a shooting pain behind his eye, it was replaced with white - white that was always there, that never left him.

Erissa...heh, how could he have been so blind, he mused. She was a woman with all the goodness of a orphan, the spunk of an adventurer, and the wisdom of a sage. And she was long lived! There was no fear with her. Everything felt right to sink into her arms, holding her tightly, kissing the top of her head and whispering those immortalized words of ‘I love you’ back. When he closed his eyes, however, something in his world was shifted.

Something was wrong. Very wrong. Nightmares plagued Jensen, painful emotions struck him near his heart, and he was running in the tombs under the Ixian castle. Somebody, somebody he loved was in danger. But who? His love was in his arms. Even in his dream addled state he could comprehend that Erissa was in his arms. And there she was in the dream, smiling and offering to take him away. But it was wrong. The pain didn’t fade just by her touch. Tangles of red hair flashed before his eyes, and with a silent scream Jensen woke up, his mind feeling like a knife was cleaved into his skull. Erissa was still with him, and the morning sun crept into the window.

There was a soft knock on the door, and Erissa’s eyes opened, looking up to Jensen with a soft smile and a playful kiss on his lips. He returned it, holding it for a moment until the knocking got more insistent. “Coming!” Erissa said loudly, before giggling and kissing Jensen one more time. The immortal watched the Elf rush to the bathroom, and he lifted himself up and towards the door. He opened it to see Geoffry standing there, a welcome sight, as the two knights gave a friendly nod as he stepped into the room.

“The hold is the next stop,” Geoffry said plainly. “I made arrangements for us to arrive at a small dock north of the major hub.” Jensen gave him a soft nod and shook his head. “You alright, Ambrose? You look hung-over as all hell.”

“Didn’t sleep last night…” Jensen mused loudly, his head pains slowly receding. Geoffry stepped forwards, leaning over with a knowing smile. He patted Jensen on the back in a friendly manner, but the immortal fought him off. “I didn’t sleep with that Elf,” Jensen blurted angrily, his blood running hot for a moment, and he had to admit the sudden rush of adrenaline gave his headache soothing balms. The Knight rose his hands in the universal sign of apology.

“No offense was intended, Jensen,” Geoffry whispered with a grin. “I just wouldn’t be so caught up on racial relations when you got a smoking body like that to cuddle with in the morning.”

Jensen knew the man was correct on that. Erissa was, to be fair, as stunning a goddess, and he really shouldn’t have blurted out such intolerant things in their quests together. Beautiful women were a dime a dozen, he once mused, but he realized to take one home that wasn’t some floozy or some psychopathic bitch, but an understanding and caring soul who loved, and loved unconditionally, well, that was the trick. Jensen slapped Geoffry on the back with a nod.

“Yeah, well maybe I was just defaulting to old habits, I’ve been having these killer headaches. Knife splitting headaches.”

“Knife splitting you say?” Geoffry asked with a measure of secrecy, his finger curling to offer Jensen an audience privately outside the room. The two warriors moved into the hallway of the room, where for the moment they were alone. They shut the door only a quarter of the way, and Geoffry looked to the immortal with an expectant face. “How frequent do they come?”

“Frequent enough to be a pain in my ass,” Jensen replied crassly, leaning against the wall. “But mostly… mostly when I’m trying to remember something.”

“Remember specific things?” Geoffry pressed on, his eyes flashing urgently. He stood forwards, hands firmly clasped on the side of his arms as if he was hugging himself for a measure of comfort. The two peered at each other for a moment, and Jensen saw genuine concern in the man’s eyes; that thought itself unsettled Jensen as he weakly nodded. Geoffry turned his back on the opening to the room.

“It is as I feared,” Geoffry mumbled. “I had experienced the same pains and agonies you are now. It’s an assault by Oblivion. Every time I tried to remember something, something important to me, I would get migraines that would sink a battleship. Images and moments would flash that made no sense, because the ties to them were severed and lost in the abyss of my mind.”

“What did you lose?” Jensen pondered loudly. Geoffry’s face remained stoic. He dared not look directly at Jensen, but the immortal could see the weight of ages pass onto his face as his eyes watered in silent painful regret. With a half hearted, dry, sarcastic motion he shrugged, snorting air out his nose.

“If I knew that, Jensen,” Geoffry said painfully. “I wouldn’t be having this conversation.” The two men stood in silent contemplation before Jensen spoke up, a nagging thought biting at his heels.

“If I am being assaulted by Oblivion, would that not mean he was near?” Geoffry slowly drew his gaze away from the wall before he nodded, but only half way. He looked to be thinking of the proper way to explain the situation.

“I can’t figure out for sure how far Oblivion’s power reaches. Nor can I say where the line is drawn for what he can exactly do. But I do know this,” Geoffry said with fierce determination. “Whatever it is, whatever power he has, it ends. By my vow to the Horsemen, Oblivion will meet his own!” Geoffry nodded to Jensen, and headed away as the immortal gazed back into the room, seeing Erissa’s half naked form dressing herself as she hummed a tune. It was rather pleasant and melodic in nature, and Jensen found himself being enraptured by it.

“Jensen,” Geoffry softly called to him. “I should note, to help me through that pain, I found it helpful to focus myself on something he wasn’t stripping away. Find an anchor in that storm, and focus on those memories, so that you can build a strong foundation to resist our erstwhile mage.”

Jensen watched as Geoffry went, and thought about his words, looking back to the Elf and sighing as he pondered what she would think to know she had just become his foundation. “Twenty minutes, Erissa! Then we got to go!”

“Very well, Jensen!” the elf giggled to him. Jensen smiled to her before lifting up his feet and heading after Geoffry.
    I could laugh...
    ...Till I die!

Avatar Edited to Look AMAZING by Sagequeen

GP

Name
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver-tinged White
    Eye Color
    Green-blue
    Build
    5'5", 105
    Job

View Profile
    Is this what it is like, the elf wondered to herself, to fall in love?

Erissa’s mind spun in the whirlwind of events that had followed her hasty ride to Underwood to find Jensen Ambrose at an old, seedy tavern. She had been afraid then, though for what reason she could not recall. The two Ixians had come through the forest, the mountains, through Akashiman society, and here they were, on a ferry with their goal so close at hand. But to be perfectly honest, the last two years of Erissa’s life had seen her tossed about from one unfamiliar situation to another, first her confrontation with her former servant and a demon-possessed drake, then in Radasanth with a pyromaniac, then the Red Forest and its cursed denizens. Somewhere along the way, the elf had lost control of her bridled heart, and it currently chased with abandoned thundering after the cocksure footfalls that marked the departure of the object of her attention.

Granted, Jensen and she had not exactly seen eye to eye in the beginning, something Erissa recalled about leaves, bushes, and fairies. Erissa laughed at the silliness of it, her breathy voice echoing as the rocking of the ferry soothed her. The elf rummaged through her satchel in search of a hairbrush, and came across the crumpled paper that bore the message from her father. She sneered at the vileness of it as she recalled his words.

‘I am willing to forgive you for your behavior with that man, and for abandoning your mother and me, but this is not an offer that will last,’ Ellear had written in his pretentious script upon the finest medium one could acquire short of the very skin of a god.

That man, Erissa snorted as she retrieved her brush and paced back to the restroom. As the elf smoothed her long, silver hair, she thought of how many times over her life was owed to that man, and she laughed softly. If he only knew what he meant to her. Sure, Jensen must understand some part of it; she had said the three little words, though he had not returned them. But to the elf, it did not matter. Jensen could have hated her and she would have loved him regardless; few and far between were the people in Erissa's life that had not betrayed her in some way. Her heart beat and bled for the man. He had lost his fiancee...

A wracking headache struck Erissa, slicing down into the core of her mind, which then went numb. She shook her head, silver tresses tumbling, and in a moment, it was gone.

“What an odd thought,” Erissa mumbled. “He was never engaged.” The elf shrugged as she brushed her teeth. Jensen was waiting for her, and she should hurry to him.

Erissa decided to wear her hair down, the large, loose curls formed by the twisted bun from the previous night still holding in cascading spirals. Her hand darted quickly toward a crystal container resting on a silver tray near the artisan porcelain sink, but she hesitated. With a second thought, the elf grabbed a vial of the complementary perfume, and after sniffing it for quality, dabbed some on her wrists, chest and behind her ears. With a light sigh, Erissa smiled at her reflection wistfully as her eyes sparkled.

A quick glance at the clock revealed she had spent a paltry ten minutes preening, and Erissa gathered her things and whisked out of the room without looking back. The narrow hallway outside her room yawned into the open-air deck where she and Jensen had danced the night before. The maiden blushed at the thought of him sweeping her feet from below her, and the kiss they had shared. Erissa shyly laughed, looking down to avoid drawing the attention of random, bleary-eyed passengers near her, her mind filled with a tickling warmness as she recalled Jensen taking her by the hand and leading her to the top of the ferry, as she had once done for him at the Ixian Castle.

Erissa scanned the deck for Jensen and Geoffry, half expecting to find them near the bar, but instead the two were at the edge of the boat, staring out across the wave-tossed waters at the large island veiled by the haze of morning. The elf adjusted the strap on her satchel and, dressed once again in her maroon leathers, hurried across the polished, wooden deck and took her place at Jensen’s side.

Erissa felt her face flush, as it so often did when he looked at her, yet there was something different in the immortal’s gaze. To the elf, it seemed to be an earnestness, a look of vulnerability in Jensen’s eyes that caused the very core of her being to strengthen. She said nothing, instead placing a hand atop his on the railing.

“Good morning, fair Erissa,” Geoffry said, breaking the silence and smiling as he took in a deep breath of sea air.

“Good morning, Geoffry,” the elf replied sweetly with a nod to him. “Horogen Island,” she mused, staring out across the dark waters again. “I assume once we land, we shall make our way to the Bastion and the Chamber?” Jensen snickered as he looked down at her.

“Since when,” he asked coyly, “has it ever been that easy?” The trio laughed as the ferry labored through the water, bringing them to the small port village. The mountainous center of the island was wreathed in clouds, and not even Erissa with her superior vision could spy the tops of them.

“Geoffry,” Erissa said, glancing at the weathered Knight to her left, “when this is finished, you should consider a place with the Ixian Knights. You would be among friends.”

“Perhaps,” Geoffry said quietly, his expression a mix of thoughtfulness and amusement. “Although I tend to keep to myself these days."

The captain’s whistle blared out across the ship, alerting the crew to the close proximity of land, and the sailors bustled to and fro preparing to dock at the single, long pier jutting out from Horogen Island. Jensen, Erissa, and Geoffry were the only passengers to disembark, and they were met with apprehensive stares from both the crew and their fares. Erissa looked from face to face with curious interest as Jensen tugged at her hand, guiding her down the solid ramp onto the sand-blown wood of the village’s pier.

“Come on,” he urged impatiently, grimacing. “The sooner we get this done the better.” Jensen pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Are you alright?” Erissa asked, her attention focused on him again.

“I’m fine,” he said, raising an eyebrow before sniffing the air dramatically. “That perfume is too strong,” the immortal said, chuckling. The elf levelled her gaze at him before rolling her eyes.

“Sometimes I think there is no pleasing you, Jensen Ambrose,” Erissa laughed lightly.

“There was no pleasing me last night, but that sure as hell wasn’t my fault!” he giggled, and Erissa’s mouth hung open at his brazenness for a split second before she shoved his shoulder and grinned.

“Your familiar pillow talk is done in the bedroom, yes?” Geoffry called from behind them, and the tree strode into the small collection of shanties its residents called North Porton. Several small boats dotted the horizon as the fisherman cast their nets, their wives and families awaiting them as they went about their own daily tasks in the town.

“How charming,” Erissa said curtly as she crinkled her nose at the cords strung from eave to eave, bearing a mix of drying garments and fish. Dirty children chased each other through the mazes of debris and broken boats. A single merchant operated in the town, a crudely-painted sign advertising its wares; the owner sat on a makeshift porch chair, sucking his stained teeth and regarding the foreigners with open hostility and suspicion. “I cringe to mention it, but we do need supplies, Jensen. How far is the Bastion from here?”

“Not far at all,” Geoffry cut in, “but the terrain is a nightmare. There’s no one to keep the roads in good repair, which is the way the Knights of Apocalypse liked it. I’d say it’s a day easy to get there. If we’re lucky, we’ll make it by nightfall.” Jensen’s head snapped up at his fellow Knight’s response, but as he was about to speak, an empty, stunned expression was plastered on his face.

“Jensen?” Erissa asked, and when he did not respond, she stepped in front of him. “Jensen...” The immortal blinked a few times, his eyes refocusing on the elf before him, and he regained himself. “What was that?” she pressed.

“Nothing,” he said, and gently flicked her nose before planting a kiss on it. Erissa looked at him worriedly. “Supplies!” Jensen interjected before she could speak again, not wanting to alarm her with the knowledge that he was being assaulted by Oblivion.

“Go on ahead. Erissa and I will meet you outside of town,” Geoffry said, handing Jensen a small leather sack, the distinctive clink of gold causing the business-owner’s ears to perk. The immortal spun on his heel, waving an arm at them as he paced toward the shop. Geoffry escorted Erissa down the main road, keeping his head down and moving quickly between the two rows of poorly constructed buildings, and he was visibly relieved when they passed the last of them. As the two waited under the sparse branches of young evergreens that marked the beginnings of an uncivilized forest, Erissa sighed.

“I am worried about Jensen,” she said finally, her eyes filled with concern as she looked at Geoffry. He smiled and nodded, taking her hand and patting it.

“I was in love once, just like he is now,” he said gently. “Couldn’t think straight to save my life! Don’t worry, Erissa. Jensen’s fine; he’s just worried about you. Can’t say I blame him, and no offense meant to you, my dear, but Oblivion isn’t an easy target. I would know!”

“I cannot think of anyone I would rather be here with,” Erissa mused, a girlish smile on her face. Geoffry chuckled.

“I don’t think you could be in better hands,” he said, eyebrows wagging. “Unless of course, they were my hands,” he jibed.

“Geoffry!” Erissa shrieked, laughing at him. He cackled again, waving his hand at her in defeat.

“I jest!” Geoffry bowed lowly. “I’ll be a gentleman,” he said, “and admit you belong to the better man. But what I really want to know is why you haven’t told him your little secret?”

“What do you mean?” Erissa asked, eyes narrowed.

“That you don’t age,” Geoffry said knowingly, and the elf shifted uncomfortably. “And that you won’t die of natural causes.”

“How did you-” Erissa stammered.

“Did you think you two were the only ones with special abilities?” he interrupted, snickering. “I can sense magic. So, why haven’t you told him?”

“I...” Erissa began, peering curiously at Geoffry; he had surprised her deeply. “Well, I do not want-” The elf searched for the proper words as he waited patiently. “I want him to accept me, not just to settle for someone who will not die and leave him.” Geoffry nodded sagely.

“Makes sense,” he said. “But you could still die. He can’t. I suspect he’d do just about anything to protect you.” Geoffry leaned against a boulder that had, ages ago, loosed itself from the mountains and tumbled to the very spot it rested. Erissa cast her glance wistfully down the road as she waited for Jensen.
    Last edited by Sagequeen; 07-13-12 at 09:22 AM.
    Le onen guil hen, le velt farn a chuinad han - You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.

Sexy Immortal
    GP

Name
    Jensen Ambrose
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black Red Tips
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11, 154
    Job

“A thirty-foot rope please, three canteens filled with water, no make that four…” Jensen rambled as he kept dumping more and more gold out of his coin purse. “A hook, a shovel, three blankets, sized small, and seven bags of trail mix…love trail mix…” Jensen mused as he thought back to his time with Seth Dahlios.

“So…a standard adventurer’s kit huh? Going to climb up the Horogen Mountains? Suicide, boy. Suicide. You’d think by now someone would have already done it. But no. Nobody has. An idiot captain of the nation Emprea tried and broke her foot. Almost died. A dumb struck Carthage noble declared he would do it, and he is still missing.”

“What’s to say he didn’t make it?” Jensen narrowed his eyes warily.

“We found an arm and half a leg, but that’s about it,” the owner shrugged as he spoke. Jensen rose an eyebrow to that. “A Benzer noble and a Dukedom of Florence merchant had both tried to see if they could make faster trade routes. The answer was no, by the way, but at least they lived without much damage. Each broke an arm and a leg. Cute story about team work in there, I suppose.”

“I got the memo, sir,” Jensen mumbled. “Yeah, it’s dangerous. Who cares what you think, right? I pay you, you get your money. End of story, right?”

“A living customer is always worth more than a dead one, but hey, it's your life, jackass. I was just trying to be friendly.”

“Yeah,” Jensen replied rolling his eyes. “Your morbid warnings were great.” The owner gave another impassive shrug and began to separate the order, at Jensen’s insistence. If all was right, Jensen’s load would weigh roughly thirty pounds, Erissa’s only twenty, and Geoffry’s fifty. He knew the man was stronger than he was; he witnessed it himself, but it was also more practical to keep himself more readily available in the event the wards caused problems among them.

He carried all three bags out with difficulty, and Erissa had run to help him, but instead he launched her bag at the elf, obnoxiously expecting to hit her square in the chest. Yet while Geoffry grabbed his bag one handed and hefted it up, Erissa merely stood her ground, the bag hanging in mid–air without even a solitary thought that could have denoted stress.

“Oh come on, leaf licker, it’s only twenty pounds!” Erissa unleashed a victorious grin, her eyes looking to him with a shimmering glow that made him feel warm inside, even after she had turned away. Yet something in his vision flashed red and the headache returned with such force he dropped to one knee.

“I can easily use my powers to hold it aloft,” she giggled, her back turned to Jensen. Geoffry rushed to his side. Jensen grabbed his offered hand, trying to stand and taking a big breath. The pain slowly faded as he looked back to the woman his heart pined for. Erissa was busy talking about how her powers were becoming stronger since the last time they adventured, but Geoffry merely kept a concerned look on Jensen as the immortal tried to shake the pain away, doing as Geoffry suggested and focusing on Erissa.

“It’d be better, Erissa,” Jensen said, his voice a little ragged, “if you carried it. Save your strength for when we need it. This place isn’t that hard to scale, but that’s not the problem.”

“Oh, what is it then?” Erissa asked, a winning smile on her face. “Cursed trees that breed only red leaves? Or maybe vampiric squirrels? Perhaps even a soul blossom?” Each danger was met with a mocking chuckle as she stepped forwards, close to Jensen, her hand reaching out to his. He grinned as he grabbed it and twirled her close, the pain in his head subsiding instantly.

“No, there could be perverted immortals looking to get at that tender body!” Jensen quipped, his fingers dancing up and down her sides making her squeal. Geoffry shook his head and rubbed his brow.

“Look, you two love birds,” he said irritably. “As much as I am happy you are getting on so nicely, we got a long, and despite what you may think, dangerous road ahead of us today. Jensen and I know the safest routes, as well as the quickest, but the biggest threat is the Enchantments. They wouldn’t have stopped working just because the order of the Apocalypse is trashed. We’ve got work to do.”

“Party pooper,” Jensen whispered into Erissa’s ear making the elf giggle. Geoffry took point as he began to head upwards. Jensen nodded as he gripped Erissa’s hand, his voice lowering so only she could hear. “Don’t worry, Erissa,” Jensen whispered to her as they began to walk. “I’ll protect you. I promised you I would, and I won’t lose you.”

Erissa’s head lowered to his shoulder as they walked, a content smile on her face. The first leg of the journey was met without much resistance. The only trouble they had was Geoffry and Jensen arguing over where the hidden trail began. Erissa at first thought the two were discussing the same trail, but when Geoffry swore that they were going to hit an enchantment that would disorient them, she understood what he meant. The trails, it seemed, had a very narrow and specific path that would not trigger the magical defenses of the Bastion of the Apocalypse.

The natural defenses were in the mountain itself. She could tell already by looking that the castle proper was most likely embedded within the mountain itself, as opposed to the top layer. Jensen confirmed this with no more than a nod, and Geoffry didn’t speak much of it.

“Why do you hold these secrets? Not to sound rude, but if there are traps or danger, I would prefer to know of them,” Erissa spoke politely. Jensen shrugged as Geoffry rubbed a hand on the back of his scalp, tugging at his curls.

“I suppose it’s been bred into us not to blather on about the bastion. Or any hold. We were a secretive order, with that mindset built into us from birth. There was no sweet release of death for those who spilled the secrets,” he said ominously.

“They were fed to the Avatars, and later the Champions, for whatever punishment they deemed suitable. Fates worse than death. A threat so profound even I, with my immortality, dared not cross the line,” Jensen said morbidly, looking up. “That level of training, that level of secrecy, it’s not something you wash away. They’d get you drunk just to see your lips turn loose. I’ve watched a couple knights get dragged away, their lives ruined or worse.” Both men shuddered at the same moment.

“Better you just stick close to us,” Geoffry mumbled.

“You do realize the council cannot harm either of you, right?” Erissa said, a bit of indignation in her tone to be left out of something rather critical. The immortal lifted a hand to her cheek, cupping her face and drinking in her innocence as he smiled to her.

“Would you break a promise, Erissa?” The elf instantly shook her head.

“Of course not,” she said.

“Neither do we,” Geoffry said firmly. There was a slowly mounting tension in the group, and Jensen felt a spark in his heart to see the Elf’s nose wrinkle and prepare for another wave of rational versus irrational thinking.

“This is different. Your order, no disrespect intended,” she insisted this point by lifting both her hands to calm them, “has been completely destroyed by the End Bringer. You should not fear that which no longer exists.”

“It’s not fear,” Jensen replied earnestly, his hands digging into his pockets as he shrugged. “You, my dear, simple Erissa,” Jensen smiled, “are a tailor. You are not like us.”

“And just what does that mean?” Erissa said, her hands falling to her hips in hurt. She leaned forwards into Jensen’s face. He gave her a sardonic grin, feeling the shadow of Geoffry loom behind him.

“We are warriors,” Geoffry gruffly mumbled. “We follow a different code of honor than another. Say no more of this Erissa Caedron, we don’t like being poked on the subject.” Geoffry gazed to her with stern eyes to end the matter, the immortal hoping she would drop it. The elf looked around to the path ahead of them, and sighed, nodding in defeat.

“It is your way, I suppose,” she said, taking his hand. The immortal smiled back to her. “I shall trust you,” she said to him, leaning in and kissing him. She then pulled back and nodded to Geoffry. “I shall trust both of you. Not sure why I was so pushy. I apologize.” Jensen let out a laugh of mirth that made her eyes narrow in mock anger.

“It’s quite alright,” he giggled. “You didn’t really know, because your inquisitive nature was magically induced.” To that Erissa rose an eyebrow as Geoffry grinned with enthusiasm. “You gotta understand how it works. When you’re in the area, you suddenly feel a desire to question everything. Right?” Erissa at first was about to deny it, but felt she had more questions to ask. This in itself was a revelation she wasn’t expecting.

“Oh my, you two were not kidding about the wards.”

“Yup,” Geoffry chuckled. “It’s quite alright though, Erissa. All it’s designed to do is make people so curious, they ask so many questions that they either argue and forget the expedition into the mountains, or just plain create thick enough tension to divide them and weaken them. It’s really a great, easy charm and you’d be surprised how many people it works on. Several thousand individuals all stopped their journey because, much like Jensen and I were arguing earlier, they can’t agree on which path to take.” The two chuckled as Geoffry turned to the path and clapped his hands together, running them over each other as he began to think out loud. After a moment he spoke a few words to himself, deep and full of power as the air grew hot for a moment, popped, and a shimmer flowed between two points like a rainbow railing.

“I told you, Immortal,” Geoffry laughed. “Off to the left, not the right. When will you learn to just trust me?” he patted the immortal on the back, the elf heading ahead as she listened to Geoffry talk about the particular time he learned that trick. Jensen looked to him with wonderment.

“I didn’t say right…” Jensen felt a slight ache in his head before, with a soft rub, it vanished. “Yeah, I did say right,” Jensen mused with a grin. As he walked he smiled, hands lifting to the back of his head, looking up at the sky as they headed towards the rocky cliffs, preparing for the actual difficult part of the journey.
    I could laugh...
    ...Till I die!

GP

Name
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver-tinged White
    Eye Color
    Green-blue
    Build
    5'5", 105
    Job

View Profile
    It seemed to the elf that the mountains, upon whose toes they crawled, were much larger than she had first thought. However, that perception did not bother Erissa in the slightest, nor did the odd feeling of being watched. She shrugged it off as she would a light jacket on a warm fall day. Geoffry mentioned something about another ward, but the elf merely laughed at the warning as the three walked single file up the narrowing path.

“Come, now, Geoffry. Since I know how they work, it will not be a problem,” Erissa chirped, her hand lifted over her eyes to block the midday sun that filtered liberally through the tall, straight trees. Their evergreen branches formed a natural barrier, and she peered through a break in them, surveying the shoulder of the looming mountain where she expected the entrance to the Bastion to be. “And, judging from the looks of it, we will make much better time than we expected.”

“Feeling confident, are we?” Geoffry asked, his eyebrows raised as he looked back at her.

“Well,” the elf laughed, “it is difficult to feel afraid with two such warriors as yourselves, whether I am simple tailor or not.” Erissa cut her gaze back to Jensen, smirking as she chided him playfully with her eyes. He said nothing, swooping forward and pinching her posterior instead. “Jensen!” she screeched, slapping at his hand. Geoffry sighed and rolled his eyes, finding the displays increasingly annoying.

“Remind me to book you two a room when we get back, and this time, I’m getting the both of you good and drunk. My treat. Then, I’m going to lock you in that room until you get it out of your system... and I don’t mean the booze,” he growled. Jensen clapped and howled with laughter, and Erissa blushed as she cleared her throat self-consciously.

“I’ll hold you to that,” the immortal insisted as his chuckles subsided, his eyes glued to the demure elf’s figure as she straddled and shimmied over a fallen, dead evergreen that barred their path. The Knight shook his head, not bothering to look back at them.

Erissa knew that, despite his occasionally gruff exterior, she and Jensen had been fortunate to have met Geoffry. By his weathered face, he could be old enough to be her father, if she were human. Yet from behind, the Knight could have been easily mistaken for a man her own age, given his physique. To add to the peculiar disparity, Geoffry almost seemed grandfatherly to her, or even ageless, as Troyas, her teacher, appeared to be. Just as she was about to ask him his age, Erissa was struck silent.

She felt the sudden, powerful urge to vomit, then and there, and the elf swayed on her feet, her hand gripping her stomach. Jensen’s face went sour next, and Geoffry gave a strained laugh.

“What the fuck,” Jensen spat, grimacing through the nausea that wracked his insides. The elf paled, all the color draining from her face, and she bolted to the nearest tree. Realization dawned on Jensen’s face as he recalled his own brief stay at the Bastion; they were facing the second ward. “You coulda warned us, asshole,” he said accusingly to his fellow Knight, who had also taken on a sallow color from the nausea.

“What, and interrupt all the groping?” Geoffry snarked, doubling over with his hands on his knees. “But actually, I did. You just didn’t hear me over the pitter-patter of your little heartbeats. Let’s get moving. The faster we get through this, the better. Erissa?” The elf mumbled something unintelligible as she leaned against the tree, choking back the bile and mush that threatened to erupt from her throat. With a laborious swallow, she nodded and dragged herself forward after Geoffry, with Jensen bringing up the rear.

As they traveled, the intensity of the ward increased, and the three barely managed to stumble along the increasingly broken trail. However, to their relief, the path widened as the trees became more sparse, and they walked abreast. They rounded the trail that led steadily upward, hacked ages ago into the face of a steep cliff that jutted out from the mountainside, blocking their view of the path ahead. Only the peak and base of the second mountain were visible to them as they crawled onward, until, finally, the second mountain and the valley nestled between them came into view.

Jensen’s groan broke the momentary silence, but it was not the nausea that caused it. Shoulder to shoulder, both of the men looked across a series of chasms cut into the sloped land, where the watershed had steadily flayed the steep land beyond the cliff, stripping away the loose soil and weak rocks to expose the jagged bones of the mountain. Very few scraggly trees, rooted in the transient soil left by errant pools, pocked the otherwise barren mountain face.

“We can climb the first one,” Jensen said weakly, and Geoffry quickly nodded. Her stomach gurgled, yet Erissa pressed her lips together, absolutely determined that she would not, could not, MUST NOT give in to the urge her body forced upon her. The very thought of regurgitating in another’s presence horrified the proper elf, and as her mouth watered she swallowed repeatedly, taking deep breaths as she could.

As Geoffry stepped toward the sharply sloping ground, Jensen planted a hand on the other man’s chest and shook his head, an acerbic chuckle escaping.

“Rope,” he croaked, and Geoffry nodded without question, removing from his bag the length that Jensen had purchased in North Porton. He turned to Erissa, and without her consent, wrapped an end of it around her, securing the sturdy fibers with a tight knot.

“Jensen, this is not necess-” she began, but he placed a finger across her lips.

“No fairy magic. Save your strength.” He planted a kiss on her forehead and turned to Geoffry. “Rope’s 30 feet. That’s more than enough to reach the bottom. Make sure she makes it. I’ll test the way first.” With a less-than-brisk nod, Geoffry affirmed, the noise of his gurgling stomach loud in the ambient buzz of nature.

The immortal descended sideways, his outside leg extended and the other in a crouch. Bracing himself against the ground with a hand, Jensen slid and sidestepped, finding whatever footholds he could to support his weight, and laying against the ground when one gave way, slowing himself with the friction of his body against the ground. With a heft, he leaped the last few feet to the relatively solid bottom and waved to his companions who waited above.

“Your turn,” Geoffry said to Erissa, grabbing the rope near where it was knotted around her waist. The elf smiled through another wave of stomach spasms, then climbed down over the smooth edge. The vertigo gripped her immediately, and the elf crouched much as she had seen Jensen do, her left side hugging the land and her right arm balancing in the air. As she inched lower, Geoffry fed more of the rope to her while keeping the line taut, and a short time later, Erissa was at the bottom. Jensen grabbed the rope and wound it to himself in a neat coil, one of the ends still tied to the elf, and he pulled her to him with it.

“I think I might enjoy having you on a leash,” he grinned at her, relieved she was near again. Erissa smirked at him, shaking her head.

“Oh really?” she asked. “I am not your pet, Jensen Ambrose.”

“No?” he laughed, reaching out to tweak her pointed ear. “You look like a cute little kitten to me.” The elf raised an eyebrow at him.

“Hah!” she chided. “Since when do cats tolerate leashes?” Jensen’s snicker grew to a laugh, and he wrapped an arm around the elf, kissing the top of her head.

“If he’s about to fall, use your magic to stop him. But that’s it,” Jensen said, still grinning.

“Aaaah,” Erissa said, understanding his logic. “You cannot die, not for long anyway, so you test the path. Geoffry makes sure I make it with the rope, and I look after Geoffry. No unnecessary... expenditure that way.” Jensen giggled at her, tapping her forehead. The two watched the man as he snaked down the steep grade.

“He knows you are immortal, by the way,” Erissa said. “There is no need to hide it.”

“Why did you tell him?” Jensen complained in a harsh whisper.

“I did not tell him. He told me he senses magic,” she said, shrugging, “so I assume he knows.”

“Huh,” Jensen grunted, looking as though he were trying to remember something, but with a grimace his attention turned to the present.

“You know, Jensen, I am already feeling better. The ward’s effect is fading. How about you?” the maiden asked, casting her eyes upward and studying the stubble that was more than threatening to become a beard, and the dark, brooding eyes below a strong brow that seemed, to her, heavy with a worry she did not know. It would be so easy, she thought, to simply read his memories. But Erissa did not. Only once before had the elf intruded, when the ability was first awakened in her, and after careful consideration, she had decided to respect his privacy.

“It’s not so bad now,” the immortal answered softly, staring into her blue-green eyes until Erissa blushed and grabbed his arm, pulling herself close to him. As she lay her head against Jensen’s shoulder, she raised her free arm, steadying Geoffry and preventing a near-fall. Jensen clucked his tongue with disappointment. “He could have made that!”

“Probably,” Erissa said with a pensive smile. “But just in case...” A few minutes later, Geoffry strode up to the duo, mildly winded but far from exhausted.

“Now, for the climb up,” Geoffry said, hands on his hips. “I assume you want to go first?”

“Yes,” Jensen said, taking the free end of the rope and securing it around his own waist. With a crass wink, the immortal began scaling the opposite side of the chasm, his technique altered to allow for freedom of movement for both legs, posing his body out more into the open air. Like a spider, Jensen was up the chasm side; he crawled over the weathered lip and took a deep breath as he stood. The Ixian whipped his arm around the slack of the rope at his waist, looping it twice; he pulled Erisa toward the incline as she laughingly protested.

“Here, kitty, kitty,” came Jensen’s mocking call. Unable to resist his strength as he pulled her, Erissa scrambled up the incline on all fours, threatening him the entire way as his laughter drifted down. Somewhat flustered, the elf dusted herself off and glared at Jensen.

“I ought to-” she began.

“Ought to what?” Jensen giggled. “Thank me for making sure you made it up all safe and sound?” She set her jaw.

“My hero,” Erissa offered provocatively, her eyes smoldering at the immortal. “And how would you have me thank you, Jensen?”

“That a trick question?” Jensen asked, chuckling. “Because I-” She grabbed the collar of his jacket as he spoke, pulling him down to whisper in his ear, sending shivers down his spine.

“Because what, Jensen?” she purred breathily. “Because you can think of few ways?”

“Uh huh,” the man said plaintively, eyes drooping closed against the afternoon sun. Laughing, the elf took a few steps back.

“Oh, I bet you can,” Erissa said teasingly. “But as for me, I cannot think of a single one.” Jensen’s eyes popped open, and he growled, whipping around to walk to the edge of the chasm.

“Tease!” he yelled back at her, and the elf giggled wickedly. Geoffry’s head peaked over the lip of the incline, a look of pure disgust and annoyance plastered across it.

“N’jal’s diseased tits,” he exclaimed, eying Jensen, “if I have to hear any more of this, I’m gonna impale myself on my own sword!” Geoffry grunted as he pulled himself up and dusted the powdery dirt from his own black, crimson accented jacket. “You realize who we’re tracking, or have you forgotten? Oblivion. The Fifth of the Forgotten... the man who became a god, whose magic is so powerful, just saying his true name will erase your memory completely.”

“Yes, of course,” Erissa said, clearing her throat and taking a few steps forward and folding her hands together. “You are right, Geoffry. We really should focus more on the goal at hand. My apologies.”

The three pressed onward, scaling each of the four chasms in much the same way. The sun sank low in the sky as they slowly progressed.
    Last edited by Sagequeen; 07-21-12 at 12:55 PM.

Sexy Immortal
    GP

Name
    Jensen Ambrose
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black Red Tips
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11, 154
    Job

The travel had been arduous at best, but the hidden trails, despite having to go through the wards, were designed to be the quickest to the summit of the mountain. After Geoffry’s reminder pep talk the trip turned to all business as the trio of adventurers moved through the last of the watershed terrain.

Jensen couldn’t place his emotions as he continued to flirt with Erissa. He loved her. It was fast becoming a known fact. Yet something about the love was off to him. He had always felt an attraction to her and her silver tresses, pondering what it would be like to feel her silky body against his. Yet he had assumed it was a thought that any other being on Althanas who could appreciate beauty would have. Now? Now they were holding hands, kissing, and coming very, very close to activities that were forbidden territory to the two.

He didn’t think it was wrong, necessarily, but there was a piece to the puzzle he couldn’t account for. Something made the picture incomplete and un-whole in his mind’s eye. The more he looked into the hole, the more the splitting headache came. Geoffry had seen him wince once or twice, and he was there, holding Jensen steady. He encouraged him to try, try so very hard to remember that which Oblivion was clearly trying to block, but the more Jensen fought to remember, the worse his pain. Eventually Jensen gave up altogether, unable to recall the event, and Geoffry gave him a concerned look. Erissa rested around the corner, unaware of his suffering.

Night was fast approaching and the winds of the mountain were billowing more swiftly. Geoffry had tied up the loose end of his clothing, so as not to be blown away, but Jensen’s coat whipped the air and tugged at him. Wind, to him, was nothing more than a relaxing breath of life, and he curved his hand to ease the flow and direct it around them in a swirling melee. Geoffry could feel that the magic Jensen performed had a more primal nature to it, much like shamans, he observed out loud to the elf, who looked with awe. Jensen giggled into the gale force wind, cutting it aside and letting it lift him off his feet a few steps.

It was the elf first who heard the snapping of a twig above them. Her gentle eyes looked upwards, her gaze tightening as Jensen whirled his head around. Geoffry pulled his longsword out, the metal sliding off the oil leather with a deadly sound. Jensen felt his blood start to boil and a soft chuckle escaped his wheezing lips just before a forced mirthful wail.

Erissa instantly lifted her hands up, first to spot the boulders toppling over the ledge above them. A bubble like mist formed over them, and the rocks hit her telepathic shield, ebbing the barrier before with a groan of effort she shoved the rocks aside. Over the ledge ropes descended as bodies began to pile over, climbing down them swiftly as bandits with nocked arrows took aim and prepared to fire to cover their repelling brethren. Jensen took all his energy and twirled, the wind whipping around him and cupping his face like a lover before he launched the torrent of force upwards, the loosed missiles getting lost in the updraft as they went wildly off course into the abyss below.

The first of the bandits let himself free fall for a safe distance and reached the ground in a hunch. He pulled out twin axes, clattering them together, the clang echoing. Geoffry stepped forwards, his sword feinting high and darting in a horizontal swing that disemboweled the bandit. His arms clutched his escaping guts, panic on his face as Geoffry lifted his foot and kicked him in his groin. He stepped inwards and kneed the foe in the face to flatten him out of the fight. The next two bandits to land pulled out curved scimitars. The weapons danced between them as the Fallien natives cursed in their tongue, golden teeth glinting as they spoke. Geoffry roared a cry of war and battled with them, their blades moving and twirling about in a deadly dance.

The immortal rose forwards as two more men prepared to loose arrows, arrows nocked and ready as they took aim. With ease born from unending practice, Jensen launched two daggers at them, the blades digging to the hilt in their throats. The weapons they held snapped as they hit the ground, and their bodies slowly tumbled down the edge of the ledge they used for a vantage point. With a thud they landed as the last four remaining bandits repelled downwards. Erissa lifted her weapon, but Jensen was already before her, dagger in hand as he laughed with nihilistic glee, his body rushing them as they fought head on.

He twirled his blade to block an axe, kicking a sword aside and cartwheeling away from another swipe of a blade. The edge of another axe looked to claim his head, but he pirouetted quickly, bending backwards to let the blade roll over his torso with enough room to catch his shirt and leave a small hole. Jensen rose back up to block a kick, his fist punching the aggressor in the face. He twisted backwards in a ballet like step as he loosed a throwing glaive and watched the weapon of death rip into the meat of one of the bandit’s arms. His shredded muscles hung out, exposed as he un-flexed his arm in an agonizing scream.

Jensen caught his dagger underneath the curve of an axe against the shaft, giggling insanely as he lifted his foot up to kick the enemy in the shin, then leaned into him and hip tossing the bandit over a ledge. His wails were enough to enrage the largest bandit in the group, who let out a scream of vengeance. The thief body checked Jensen and sent the immortal flying towards the end of the ledge and over the cliff.

Prepared to suffer one of his least favorite ways to die, Jensen had closed his eyes. Instead of meeting the wind in his ears however he felt what seemed like a rubber band catching and flinging him back onto the ledge. Bright white flashed in his vision and he woozily opened his eyes to see the elf. Erissa’s outstretched arm dropped to her side as her chest heaved in spent energy. She nodded and flashed a weary smile.

Unsure of what had happened, the larger bandit growled and swung a club back and forth at Jensen, keeping him from his agile fighting style. Jensen made to feint with the dagger, only to be outmaneuvered as the lumbering warrior grabbed Jensen’s exposed arm and lifted him in a half assed throw. He had bent his knee and Jensen collided and tripped over it. The immortal slammed onto the rock once again.

Geoffry, meanwhile, had a series of cuts on his arms as the two Fallien bandits grinned from ear to ear, tossing their weapons to each other to strike at Geoffry while he made to advance on the unarmed foe. They moved in tandem, clearly a fraternal bond between the sword dancers as they taunted Geoffry in their Fallien language. He even had tried to swipe their twirling scimitar aside only to have them both kick at him, nearly felling him as they knocked his wind out. Like a whirling dervish he swung his blade to keep them at bay, always moving with them to ensure no easy prey for their blades.

Erissa watched the two dancers, and with a bit of quick thinking, managed to stop both blades in midair, a gasp of breath escaping her lips as Geoffry seized the moment, clipping one of the brothers in the throat. The knight finished his three hundred and sixty degree swing by cleaving into the brother behind him, a diagonal cut that went from left shoulder to right hip. Both brothers turned into the swing and collapsed, their eyes rolling into the back of their heads.

Jensen had managed to snake his way back to his feet. The immortal's hands were covered with leather gloves, the steel studs shining in the dimming sunlight as he boxed with the larger man. The bandit had an uncanny intelligence about him, something that his brutish appearance belied; he rationally dealt with Jensen's unorthodox fighting style. He had managed to learn that Jensen needed room to do his fancy twisting and turning, and so ensured his swings kept Jensen locked in position. The immortal was clearly faster, and every time Jensen had tried to misdirect him, the warrior replied with an overwhelming show of force, running into him or swinging his club in a close proximity. Now that Jensen switched to a boxing style, the warrior swung his club to keep Jensen away, purposely trying to hit the club against Jensen’s knuckles and break them.

“You’re not bad for a bandit,” Jensen muttered.

“You learn how to survive quickly in a lifestyle filled with blood.” The big man turned for a moment, his fist coming out in a haymaker that caught Geoffry right in his chin, interrupting his longsword’s swing and flattening the warrior on his back. As he was sprawled out full eagle, moaning in pain, crimson fluid leaked into his mouth, leaving a coppery taste. Jensen had moved to take advantage of his enemy’s exposed back, only to meet a stiff boot in his gut from a stubborn mule kick. With all the brute force the bandit warlord could muster he swung the club with two hands, hitting Jensen in the ribs. The immortal felt the distinct breaking of bones and fell to his knees with a wheeze, blood and bile flowing from his lips in a telltale sign of punctured lungs. He collapsed on his face, his body still.

“Your turn, pretty boy,” the warlord muttered angrily. “Don’t know much about you, but got a lot of my men killed. That wasn’t part of the plan,” he sneered as his agitation grew. He lifted the club, preparing to drop it down on Geoffry’s face when the club collided with another shield like barrier. Erissa was breathing heavily off to the side as the warlord looked to Geoffry, before with a smug, arrogant grin he lobbed a wad of spit out of his blood flecked lips onto Geoffry’s face, stepping forwards towards the elf maiden.

She clutched her knife to her chest in a ready position, but the warlord’s contemptuous ease in the manner he swaggered towards her gave her little doubt that the warlord knew she absolutely outmatched. With her two guardians out of the fight he lifted the club to his shoulder, a sick, perverted grin of malicious intent on his face. “I am going to rip those pretty clothes off, and then I’ll make your cry. I’ll beat you and rape you, and make you pay for killing my gang. Then, I’ll rip your hair out and use it to choke your life out. How does that sound?” Erissa’s eyes narrowed in grim determination, but the warlord laughed at her display. “You quake, little elf. You’re out of breath, overexerted! You know I can easily dominate your body. Perhaps if you willingly give yourself to me I could find a merciful side to go gentle with you…Your beauty, now that I look at it, has a certain appeal.”

“You’re a monster,” Erissa murmured, the word like venom on her lips. “You have no honor or decency.”

“And you have no chance. Besides, I’m a thief. My standards, surprisingly, aren’t that high.” With the conversation over now that he was paces away, Erissa coiled with all her elven grace and legendary agility, the wicked looking dagger digging deep into the warrior’s chest. She felt the hilt resist against his flesh; blood trickled and pooled, creating a stain on his leather tunic.

He never even made a peep.

He slapped Erissa in the face with the back of his hand, her body crumbling from the impact. The man casually ripped the blade out of his flesh like it were a splinter in his finger. He tossed the dagger aside, the weapon clattering as he stalked to the downed elf. Erissa looked to him with horror as he lowered a hand to grab her. He was inches from her shirt when he stumbled forwards, a wild cry of wrath that Erissa had never heard before coming from Jensen’s lips, a wild look of rage released in his eyes. His laughter was haunted with madness born from a sick joke made manifest.

The immortal held two of his smaller knives in his hand, and he wrapped his legs around the man’s torso, holding himself to him screaming in rage. It took her several moments to realize he was in a mantra, screeching the same words over and over again in a sick melody of cruel, murderous delight.

“Die die die die die die die die die die!” Jensen repeated with each stab of his blade, the warlord’s back littered in cuts as the immortal stabbed at him. At last the warrior was able to gain some semblance of order and jumped forwards, rolling to the side to slam the immortal on the ground. Jensen let go, in pain and wheezing as he stood up. “You will never, ever touch her again, you sick, sick fuck! I’ll gut your liver out, feed it to you through your stomach, and then make you slurp your intestines like a noodle!” The warlord slowly got up, anger in his own eyes as he looked to the immortal, seeing fresh vigor inside his body.

“I killed you!” he roared angrily, eyes filled with confusion as he pulled out a dagger from his belt. The weapon was as long as the man’s forearm and would have been a short sword in Erissa’s hands.

“Heh…you aren’t as smart as I thought,” Jensen giggled. The man arched an eyebrow in challenge to that statement as he bled freely from the many wounds, gaping like small, red mouths across his chest and back.

“I killed you once, this time I’ll make sure you’re fully dead.” Jensen fell to a knee in laughter, eyes watering as he slammed a fist over and over uncontrollably into the ground with maddened hysterics. The warlord narrowed his eyes before he roared with rage. “What is so damn funny, you fool!”

“Because you never made sure the other guy was dead!”

In a mere second, he realized what the immortal meant, but that moment was ill spent; Geoffry’s blade claimed the Bandit Warlord’s head from his shoulders. The surprised face held its silent ‘O’ in death and even as it flew over the cliff, the haunted look of confusion the last image Jensen saw as it disappeared into the abyss.

Instantly Jensen turned to Erissa, dropping to a knee and grabbing her shoulders. “Are you okay?” he shouted, his blood still running hot. Erissa’s reply was a tight embrace, a few tears falling down her face as she nodded into his body. The immortal nuzzled her and held her tightly, whispering into her ear as she responded. Geoffry stood vigil in silence, his own eyes transfixed on the dead body as if it was a sign of deep failure.

In five minutes Jensen and Erissa separated, a deep passionate kiss passing between them before Jensen looked back to Geoffry. “The Jester and the Warrior,” the immortal mumbled. Geoffry nodded.

“You fought valiantly, Jensen. You held his attention long enough for me to finish him off. Alone, I dare say he may have been able to overpower us. I detected magic in his blood. No doubt an augmentation to his strength or endurance, but his mind…he was a sharp one.”

“I do not care to admire anything of that man,” Erissa choked. Geoffry nodded to her in apology, which she waved off. “I will not let that man unnerve me. Yes, he was strong, and yes he was frightening, but all I could think was that my knight would not even let death stop him.” Erissa smiled looking to Jensen, who let out a snort of mirth and grabbed her hand, squeezing it tightly.

“I keep my promises, Erissa,” Jensen whispered to her. “I vowed to protect you.”

“And protect me you did,” she said smiling brighter. “Besides, compared to the Red Forest, this was just a stretch,” she joked, mimicking the motions which caused the two knights to groan but grin. Geoffry let out a cough and mumbled.

“Yup, didn’t do a thing over here…just watched. Yup…” he looked to the sky, before grinning as Erissa opened her hand to him, which he took, bent at the knee, and kissed softly. They moved onwards towards their goal, and in moments, the entire event passed from memory.

Almost as if, in their minds, it had never even happened.
    I could laugh...
    ...Till I die!

GP

Name
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver-tinged White
    Eye Color
    Green-blue
    Build
    5'5", 105
    Job

View Profile
    The call of cicadas rang hollowly from within the enormous, shallow bowl of highlands, nestled within the shared bosom of the two mountains of Horogan Isle. Geoffry looked worriedly into the fertile valley area, then at the final sliver of sun as it winked over the shoulder of the western mountain. Deepening shadows encroached, with only the ambient light of the horizon to hold them temporarily at bay.

“Torches,” he rasped. “What did you bring for torches?” Geoffry faced Jensen squarely, hands on his hips. He knew full well Jensen had not prepared for night travel.

“One of those bandits must have knocked a screw loose,” Jensen asserted, laughing sarcastically. “'Cause in case you forgot, this is gonna be bad enough in the daylight, let alone the at night.”

“Another ward?” Erissa asked, flicking a silver ribbon of hair from her high cheekbone.

“Jensen, we have to move! Why the hells do you think there are bandits on this mountain in the first place? They found another way up! Can you imagine what would happen if the Bastion were to fall into the wrong hands, if the Chamber of Fate were to be at some mercenary lord's whim? And not to mention that there may well be others within scouting distance of us already?” Geoffry threw his satchel down in the windswept dust in his obvious frustration.

“There is another ward, right?” the high elf asked again.

“We're not going on tonight,” Jensen said, his eyes twitching to and from Erissa, a strange confidence and knowing gripping him. “We're both worse for the wear, and she needs to rest. She wasn't trained for this like we were.” Geoffry gripped his lengthening, curly locks in agitation. “And, in case you forgot, she's the one with the information we need. What happens if one of us loses focus, and she gets hurt?” Or worse... he thought.

“Fine,” Geoffry said with a scowl-tainted relent. He knew this was not a battle he would win. “But as soon as I can see my fingers in front of my face on the morrow, we press on into the Cauldron.” He heaved a forced sigh of calm. “We are this close,” he said, holding his index finger and thumb less than an inch apart, “this close, to meeting the goal, the very goal I have spent the latter half of my life chasing!”

“Cauldron?” Erissa interrupted, flabbergasted by their utter disregard of her previous questioning. “Gentlemen! Is. There. Another. Ward?” She regretted her patronizing tone immediately.

“Yes!” both men turned to her and yelled with frustration, and the elf recoiled.

“Two of them,” Jensen said, releasing a harsh sigh, but as he turned to Erissa, he brushed a breeze-swept tress from her brow, his leather gloves embracing his fingertips. He removed them absently, to feel the smoothness of her skin as he reached out again, his fingers brushing against her collarbone and down toward the cleavage of her pert breasts. The zippered leather there thwarted him, to his dismay. “The two wards we came through so far had us fighting, then sick. War and Disease,” he explained. The elf nodded as she listened intently. “So that means there are two more. Four Horsemen, four wards. We still have Famine and Death.”

Honor be damned, he wanted to take her then and there, her innocent eyes wholly reliant on him, everything behind them his and seemingly pleading for such a thing. Jensen fought it for her sake and looked away; they had a job to do, and his distractions only placed her in danger.

“How bad are they?” Erissa asked, looking from Jensen to Geoffry and back again. “The wards... how bad?”

“Let's just say a rest stop would be permanent,” Jensen said, smirking as he finally was able to tear himself from her. “You keep moving or you die, and don't eat or drink anything. Anything. Not even what we brought. The Famine ward makes you hungry and thirsty as you've even been in your life, and then the Death ward turns all food and drink to poison.”

“Jensen,” Geoffry called, “you're forgetting the bonechewers.”

“I was getting to that!” he chided, flinging his ball-fisted arms to his sides. “Bonechewers.” He scratched the back of his head and cursed, at a loss for words.

“How lovely,” Erissa half-mocked, shaking her head as she peered into the inky black of the highland valley.

Geoffry scoffed. “Your lovelies, my dear, were imported from the Thaynes know where for their distinct immunity to the Death ward. However, the ward of Famine makes them ravenous and exceptionally ferocious.” As the refracted daylight waned, the insistence of the cicadas grew, threatening to engulf the conversation completely.

“What are they?” Erissa asked, feeling a slight apprehension grip her.

“Giant, armored bugs,” Jensen replied flatly before unslinging his bag to retrieve his night’s needs. The elf shuddered, but quickly righted herself.

“So,” she said, as a good pupil should, “do not stop, eat, or drink, and avoid becoming bug food.”

Jensen came to a dead stop as he was unpacking his thin bedroll for the night's sleep. After a moment, he snarked with light-hearted laughter, shaking his head as he regarded Erissa.

“I'm starting to think you don't know what's good for you, elf. I've seen grown men – Knights – piss their pants at the mention of Horogen’s Cauldron,” Jensen said, eyeing the demure arcanist. When she shrugged merrily, unpacking her own satchel, he worried she put too much faith in Geoffry and himself.

In himself, especially. There was a wildness in her eyes he had never seen.

“If anything,” Jensen continued, “anything, happens to separate us, don't try to save me. Get to the entrance at the northeast and wait there till sunrise. If I don't come, Erissa, run. Run like hell to the port, take a boat to wherever and don't look back. Fly or float or whatever then hell you do, off this mountain, and go. Not even death can stop me from finding you. Just don't,” he choked, jaw clenched as he swallowed hard, “don't die on me,” he whispered painfully, the last words a mournful grunt only he could understand, as if her were clearing his throat. He turned back to the valley. The shadows from the vanguard of the valley trees cast long shadows, pointing toward the coming sunrise like a clock foreshadowing doom.

“Geoffry, may I heal your wounds?” Erissa asked. “It has become a routine of sorts for me, but I will require a full night's sleep afterward.”

“That's not a good idea, my dear,” he said softly, his foreboding tone leeching the healer of any resistance. “Jensen is worse off than I am, and if push comes to shove in the middle of the night, you will need to be able to protect yourself. Just heal whatever's broken on him. If you can, that is.” The man chuckled softly, shaking his head, as he lay himself down to sleep. Erissa went to work on Jensen' chest, healing the ribs that had been cracked, her eyes never leaving his as she gave of herself.

Jensen took first watch during the uneventful night, often staring at the softly sleeping elf. His headaches came and went as his gaze was cast here and there, fishing for thoughts between the star-flecked, ultramarine sea of night and elf-maiden who slept beneath it. After the moon emulated its counterpart's ascent and apex, Jensen awakened Geoffry with a booted nudge to the shoulder. As his fellow Knight nodded and rubbed his face tiredly, Jensen happily collapsed beside Erissa and curled his body around hers. She was warm and welcoming, murmuring softly to greet him in the deepness of her sleep.

What more could a man ask after his duty was done each day but for a woman, gentle and kind, to welcome him into her arms, wherever home might be that night? Erissa was that, and more, and Jensen an unacknowledged lord in her eyes, his holdings with Sei, Lord of the Ixian Knights, but a mummer's farce of what he truly was.

She dreamed deeply that night, of golden wreaths, of ruin and chaos, and of true love.

Before dawn had quickened her world-awakening hues, Geoffry firmly planted his booted toe between Jensen' shoulder-blades.

“Time to go,” he said impatiently, as if the very sun that was making good on its threat to rise had kept him waiting too long. Jensen grunted his acquiescence before he squeezed Erissa, who slept peacefully on his pinned right arm, which had fallen asleep. “The Cauldron awaits.” Geoffry's ominous words awakened the elf at once, and she snapped upward to face him. She rubbed sleep-laden eyes as they broke what meager camp they had made for themselves.

The Cauldron.

There it was, the collection of trees and wards that made grown men piss themselves, roiling with a witch’s brew of pre-dawn mist. Erissa raised an eyebrow, scoffing at it. What were trees to her, or bugs, bones, or wards?

Nothing.

She had come through much worse, the elf assured herself. This was but a trifle, a knee-high hurdle on the road to Oblivion. As the trio passed north to the far end of the valley unscathed, enduring but a few skirmishes with overgrown beetles, Erissa giggled. She laughed as her dagger was plunged deep into the eye of one of them, a miserable creature begging for death and release. The next was no better, during the jaunt east around the rim of the Cauldron, a horse-sized monstrosity that could not see unless it was perfectly still. As Jensen leaped from behind onto its olive green carapace, she stood before it boldly as a mouse with cheese before a lame cat, and inserted the tiny, unnamed elvish knife between the armored plates of its mandibles, into tender flesh that oozed green as she ripped it out again. Its rainbow-sheened wings beat feebly it tried, and failed, to flee by air.

There had been a few close calls, Erissa admitted, thinking back to the giant horned beetle that had her pinned between its dual lances, but, as she expected, the immortal’s dagger sank deeply among the beast's myriad eyes, and with a prodigious quaking, it died. The elf had sprung lightly over the barbed skewer, which was buried in a tree trunk and glinting as though it were oiled. She flitted on to the next foe, unconcerned by the carcasses and piles of bones scattered about, Jensen ever in her wake.

The immortal was a terrible sight to behold, his battle-lusting giggles carrying through the valley. The man was hardly recognizable, splattered with the filth of the beasts he slew. Erissa regarded him with every ounce of respect he deserved as he finished off a formidable tiger beetle the size of a small house.

It was thirsty work, she mused, as she pulled the cork from her waterskin, wishing it were wine, so she could call a toast in her warrior's honor. Water would have to suffice, she thought, and in fact, the elf could not recall a time when she was so utterly thirsty. For some reason, Erissa hesitated before taking a drink, something tickling the edges of her memory. Geoffry, heaving from his exhaustion, saw her shrug and draw the drink to her mouth, and he backhanded the waterskin from her grasp.

“By the Thaynes, I am as parched as a desert!” she cried, reaching for the leather pouch that lay leaking on the ground near the bones of a large bird. “Let me drink!”

“No!” Geoffry growled, grabbing the skin from her.

“What is wrong with you?” she seethed. “Can a lady not get a drink in this accursed place?”

“No, in fact,” he said, snatching the cork from her and slamming it into the neck, “you may not.”

“And you are my keeper now?” the elf asked incredulously.

“It would seem I am needed as such,” he said sullenly. “Jensen!”

The immortal wiped his blades against the hairy forelimb of another dying bug as he looked questioningly at Geoffry. His voice echoed through the valley, bouncing from the rocky outcroppings where the forest met the mountain immediately behind them.

“What?”

“See to your elf! She seems to think she is as unbreakable as you!” he called.
    Last edited by Sagequeen; 08-01-12 at 01:34 PM.

Sexy Immortal
    GP

Name
    Jensen Ambrose
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black Red Tips
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11, 154
    Job

There was a throaty growl that emanated from the immortal as the husk of the enlarged Tiger beetle slipped down the cliff off the edge into the abyss. He turned, drenched in the ichor of the fallen Bonechewers, and he eyed Erissa with a look that made her eyes widen in silent apprehension. He approached her, body sluggishly and painfully walking forwards as he gripped one of her hands in his, and held the appendage tightly. Her warmth felt gentle to the immortal, and he was pleased to be so near the woman, but Geoffry would not have spoken so callously unless there was good warrant.

"No. Water," Jensen said in a deadpan voice, the heralding of calamity and doom in his tone. He kept his eyes locked to the fair elf's, making sure there was no way to argue the point.

"I understand," Erissa whispered, her voice tiny as shame painted her beautiful face with red blush marks. Jensen was satisfied with her self admonishment and leaned forwards with the gentlest of kisses against her forehead. As if a spell was cast her smile returned, face beaming as she bravely trode onwards, and Geoffry let out a wet leopard like growl of his own to Jensen.

"She thinks she is one of us," he sneered. "At first it was endearing, cute at best. But now? Now it is an affront to all those who have died on this journey before us! I will not suffer her ignorance much longer," Geoffry's tone was filled with intent, and though he also fought against the Bonechewers, he was not covered head to toe in the vitale of the enemy creatures. This gave Jensen a measure of confidence as he spoke his next words.

"You will suffer it as long as necessary. She is the key to this whole plan, and I will see her safe. She has endured hardships much like this, and has come out stronger for it. I'd expect no less from this situation."

"Her hardiness is born from the deeds of our courage! She would see herself put into danger, immortal, danger you will not always be ready for because her false bravado will think she can handle it." The words Geoffry spoke struck a dangerous chord inside Jensen as he looked back to her, watching her every move. He had taken in a deep breath, holding it for several seconds before releasing it in a controlled manner. The two Knights looked to one another and Geoffry bowed his head in slight apology. "My words were harsh," he muttered.

"Though not necessarily wrong. She is diving head first into danger, but that is not her fault, Geoffry. That fault lies with me. I promised her safety, a knight's oath to protect her. She is bolstered by that knowledge."

"I see," Geoffry said. "Her love for you will get her killed, Jensen. You know that as well as I. She is riding the emotional high of your current affair. Perhaps," Geoffry said, stroking his chin, but shook his head after a few moments.

The remainder of the journey was met with few problems. Aside from a few crumbling steps, the trio had made it to the small inward pocket of the cave that led out to the base of the mountain pass that the Knight's stronghold was part of. Jensen was the first out, and he had to shield his eyes from the setting sun to see the majesty of the enormous estate, followed by Erissa whose mouth dropped into a wide, shocked look. Geoffry stepped in next, straightening himself to a more proper height as the three looked to the final, strongest Bastion of the End Times. There was a momentary silence before a shriek filled the air similar in nature to a drake. Erissa ducked instantly, causing the immortal and the knight to laugh.

"Why do you mock me? And why do you not run for cover? Is this another ward?" Erissa shouted to them with utter confusion, her eyes narrowing in suspicion. Jensen shook his head, still giggling as Geoffry spoke up.

"No more wards, Erissa," he said gently. "But there is a dragon in this area. Well...dragons," he mumbled off hand. Erissa lifted herself up slowly.

"How many?" she asked cautiously. "Two, three?" Jensen shrugged.

"The eastern wing of the castle is home to sixteen hundred dragons," Jensen said matter of factly. Erissa's eyes widened again.

"S-s-sixteen...Hundred? As in over a thousand?" Jensen nodded to her disbelief. "How, pray tell, are there so many of these beasts?"

"About, oh...twenty seven or so years ago, maybe longer," Geoffry muttered as an aside. "There was an order that opposed ours. The Order of Saint Bartholomew. This order had struck an accord with a titanic beast, the Sky Dragon, and promised it a nesting home in exchange for destruction of the Knights of Apocalypse. As you can tell, a massive army cannot simply march up to the Castle hold. It must first pass through the multitude of tunnels. So the order had ridden the dragons."

"It was the bloodiest battle this Castle had ever seen. The might of the knights were clearly outclassed and out numbered, but we fought with the grim determination to settle things once and for all. It was at that moment, Xavier Sigma, the Avatar Slayer," Jensen said, a measure of pride in his voice as they began to cross the mile long stone bridge. "Had arrived and used a relic of lost times. An orb that could actually control the dragons. He fought a battle of wills with the colossal Sky Dragon, and won, putting the beast to sleep. The other dragons he corralled and the rest was history. Though a heavy hand of fate intervened, the strongest opposer to the Apocalypse was defeated."

"But it was not an any history books I read. How is it..."

"Nobody know this ever took place?" Jensen mused, finishing her question. Erissa nodded frantically.

"Because not until about five years ago was this island inhabited by anyone other than the Knights. We were everywhere. Town guards, governors, shopkeepers, bar keepers. Not a proud moment, but a necessary moment. They killed many people for the price of silence." Geoffry shrugged, as if this was fact and not that strange an option. Erissa looked to them, and nodded sadly.

"I suppose I have much to learn of this place," she said. Jensen once again shrugged his shoulders, the blood of the Bonechewers flaking off his face as it dried.

"We'll rest tonight, no point rushing into the Chamber of Fate. We're gonna have to spend the night anyway, if Erissa is to be at her best.” Geoffry turned to the elf. “Perhaps I can show you around. The library is stuffy and full of books. You'd have an orgasm in there." The elf blushed as Geoffry let out a chuckle. Jensen was silent but the slight smile and glazed look in his eye suggested he was enjoying the mental image.

"I don't think the idea is all that bad," Erissa acknowledged. "At least... to rest that is." Geoffry yawned loudly his assent on the matter as the trio headed forwards. Jensen kept an eye on the surrounding area as they walked, watching the tall, twin doors that reached for the heavens ajar as if left open after years of neglect. The splendor of the castle at range was majestic and noble, but as they grew closer, Erissa's eyes began to scan the terrain, and learn something that made Jensen and Geoffry tense up just to remember.

"Oh my, by the Thaynes," Erissa whispered covering her mouth as they were within distance of the doors. Geoffry lowered his gaze in solemn respect as Jensen cursed loudly to witness what they saw. No less than seven or more bodies were splayed on the ground, dead and rotting from many years of neglectful ignorance. Their armor was rusted over, weapons notched and pitted from the weathering of time. Skeletal faces looked upwards, eyeballs missing or hidden by the corpse pale flesh of the eyelid. Some looked like they died a warrior's death, head on with weapon in hand. Others looked like they were struck down from behind, backs split open as the ground was stained crimson.

"The End Bringer," Jensen whispered as they entered into the Bastion. The main courtyard was once a large, glorious expanse of green grass, a large fountain in the center with a prominent display of the first Lord of the End Times. Now the grass was all but gone, patches of green weeds in place of the healthy blades. The statue was toppled, severed into seven on the ground, the fountain emptied and crushed. Patches of black soot from explosive magic and traps scorched the earth, and the dead lay in droves. From heavily armoured Senior Knights to barely clad Squires, none were spared. One of the walkways that was once lined by shrubbery made in the likeness of animals had overgrown into giant plants that engulfed most of the walkway, the dead looked to have been in the process of being eaten by the overgrowth.

"This is a massacre," Geoffry said in awe. "One man...one man could do this damage? Could bring about such force of destruction?" Geoffry looked appalled. "All of our training, all of our skills...did it truly mean nothing in the face of the End Bringer?"

"It would seem so," Jensen grimly replied. The three remained silent as they walked, Erissa staying extra close to the immortal for fear the dead may rise up and grab her. Jensen held her tightly as they passed through.

"There are nearly seventy bodies here alone...over seven hundred knights were stationed here, of which nearly five hundred were Senior Knights. The End Bringer must be a god of war!" Geoffry shook his head looking to his companions. "He is the embodiment of the End Times; the Apocalypse. He bares the aspects of all four horsemen. Truly he was capable of this," he quickly said, bringing stoicism to the front as he grabbed control of all their wandering imaginations. "Regardless," he said sternly. "We have a mission to do. Let us rest, and then move out to our destiny!" Jensen and Erissa nodded as one.

The immortal did his best not to think of the deaths around him, and didn't dwell on the thoughts of what he could have done if he could have opposed the End Bringer.
    I could laugh...
    ...Till I die!

GP

Name
    Race
    High Elf
    Hair Color
    Silver-tinged White
    Eye Color
    Green-blue
    Build
    5'5", 105
    Job

View Profile
    Two long-dead guards sat back to back near the broken doors, heads lolled to the side as one stared eyelessly at the late afternoon sun. Geoffry grumbled unintelligibly as he took a pair of cold, soot-stained sconces from the ground nearby, stuffing one into his waistband and tossing the other to Jensen. The immortal nimbly caught it and twirled the torch like a baton as he regarded the black beyond the gaping entrance to the castle.

Erissa smacked her lips softly, her tongue sticking to the roof of her mouth. Without water since the morning, she was beginning to wilt. The elf sighed, walking to Jensen and and laying her head against his shoulder. Her stomach growled fiercely and the man laughed at her.

“Go on,” Jensen said to Erissa. “It’s okay to take a drink now. We’ll eat when we get settled inside.” She nodded, but as the elf looked for her waterskin, it was nowhere to be found. Jensen rolled his eyes and handed his own to her after taking a draught for himself.

“Time to move,” Geoffry said. “The shafts in the upper levels should let enough light in that we won’t need the torches, so let’s make use of it.” He turned on his heel, and Erissa shuddered as the castle swallowed him. She followed closely behind, with Jensen determinedly following, ever watchful.

The Bastion was a tomb, a stone mausoleum in the belly of a mountain. Preserved within was the unexpected fulfillment of a prophecy, the tatters of flesh parchment upon which the horror was written. In one corner of cold stone, Erissa saw what could only have been a unarmed, unarmored servant slumped in a circle of long-dried black, still clutching the decaying handle of a broom.

The high elf wondered if there were any children in the keep, but any of the answers she expected filled her with dread and kept her lips pinned tightly together on the subject.

“So many bodies,” Erissa said sadly, breaking the tension-filled silence.

“No one left to clean up,” Jensen said dryly as he knelt down to wrench a masterwork sword from the bony grasp of a guard in gilded armor. “Looks like the bandits never made it in,” he remarked to Geoffry. The immortal seemed to loath touching the weapon; he tossed the sword aside, the metallic clang ringing a toll for all the dead who lay rotting.

“No one has,” Geoffry agreed, glancing around the entrance hall, across the carved long table still graced with silver candelabras. Stairs on either side of the table led to a tall dais behind it, and doorways like black teeth lined the raised floor. Three great standards hung from the ceiling, against the wall, white, red, and black. A fourth had fallen, pale green and pooling on the dais with its end cascading down over the table. According the the ominous and distinct artwork of the other three, Erissa could only surmise it was the ensign of Famine.

“We need to find a good place to make camp,” Jensen remarked.

“The barracks,” Geoffry said. “Beds and all, though you might not want to share your sheets with the dead.” The three took to the stairs, and the black and crimson clad Knight shoved the bodies aside with his boot. The whispering and grating was unnerving, but the clattering as they crashed across the table and floor below was downright chilling. The sound of the battle that must have raged there echoed in Erissa’s mind, the screams of the dead and dying never reaching the ears of any who could, or would, help.

Geoffry navigated the hallways with ease, his memory of the place as fresh as if he had been there a day ago. Erissa trailed a hand along the smooth stone of the wall, her fingers tracing the grooves of the mortar and grasping into nothingness with every passageway. Ahead, Geoffry cut a hard left and, at the top of a flight of stairs, huddled over his torch. With a small amount of oil, he saturated part of it and ignited the end with the flame of a silver-encased wick lighter. As the yellow and orange flame flickered, Geoffry thrust the torch into its twin that Jensen held aloft, and in a matter of moments, the immortal’s blazed to life.

“If we’re lucky,” Jensen said, “there will be lamps and plenty of oil in the barracks.” As he and Erissa descended into the darker level of the Bastion, she tangled her arm with his, seeking his hand. The elf was quickly lost in the massive castle, the gloom negating her ability to pick out unique architecture by which she could navigate.

“This air stinks like a crypt,” she said sourly, wrinkling her nose, but as the elf breathed again, she caught a very familiar, and very comforting scent. “Parchment!” said excitedly, squeezing Jensen’s hand, breathing in the dry musk of ink and paper and age. “I smell books!”

“Indeed you do,” Geoffry laughed. “Come. I will show you the library. Somehow I doubt Jensen ever gave it a second glance, but I can answer just about any question you might have.” Jensen grinned and flipped his middle finger straight and tall, but on a second thought, nodded.

“I’ll go ahead and find a decent room,” the immortal said, his eyes resting on the elf. “One without any bodies.” Erissa gave him a sheepish smile and a peck on the cheek before rushing excitedly through the large, arched doorway where Geoffry awaited, torch in hand. The flickering light illuminated only a part of the massive store of knowledge, and the elf almost squealed when she estimated the age of several nearby tomes. Jensen chuckled as he paced away, his light more faint with every echoing footstep until he had disappeared completely.

“Is there anything to be found here concerning Oblivion?” Erissa asked as Geoffry lit several small lamps at a table.

“I searched extensively, years ago,” the man said heavily, “but didn’t find a whisper or shadow of him.”

“It figures,” Erisa replied as her eyes greedily scanned the spines of books, flitting from title to title upward, until her head was craned back and she could not see for sheer distance. The particular bookcase had to be at least thirty feet tall, complete with its own attached sliding ladder system. The arcanist excitedly hoisted herself up the rungs, to a section titled ‘Magic of the Mind.’ She bit her lip, her fingers twitching as she considered pulling it down. “I wonder if anyone would mind if I...”

“Who’s left to care?” Geoffry laughed. “I don’t think the librarian will have any objections!” he called to her, gesturing at the well-dressed remains of a woman at a desk, slumped over a cart filled with books.

“Geoffry!” Erissa chastised, but she quickly grabbed the thick and scholarly tome on psionics. Eager to read it, she leaped from the ladder and gently floated down to the floor. The wooden chair whined as she pulled it from beneath the heavy table and, drawing the flickering lamp near, unlatched the brass clasp and poured herself into the words. Geoffry sauntered to the elf.

“Well, that’s some heavy reading,” he said. “Are you sure now is the best time to start a book like that?”

“Mmmhmm,” the elf said distractedly, flashing him a quick, tight smile. Erissa thumbed through the pages, stopping when a certain chapter caught her eye.

Shielding the Mind

“Jensen is a good guy, Erissa,” Geoffry said, staring off into the dark recesses of the lofty room. Annoyed, her eyes flashed to him.

“But?” she asked sharply, divining from his tone that he harbored uncertainties. He chuckled as he ran a hand along the stubble on his chin.

“But...” the Knight echoed, choosing his words wisely, “he’s been through more than any man should. I don’t know much about his past, but behind the jackass jester, there’s a lot of pain and sorrow.” Erissa sighed, turning her attention fully to the man who sat casually on the table across from her, studying his back intently.

“Yes,” Erissa said, “I am aware.”

“And you, young elf, you’re a ray of sunshine and hope. I would hate to see that destroyed.”

“What are you suggesting, Geoffry?” Erissa asked, eyes narrowing ever-so-slightly. The man shook his head slowly. “Enough with the nuances. Say it plainly.”

“I am only suggesting that misery loves company. I fear what the years will bring for the two of you, and what if, please forgive me this, but what if you were to die? What would that do to him?” His words hung electric in the air, demanding an answer, yet Erissa struggled to retort. “You rely on him completely, put him to an impossible task as you traipse about, thrusting yourself into every danger you can find.”

“I do not!” Erissa said, her anger beginning to rise. Geoffry stood and turned to her, hands before him in a deflecting manner.

“I can’t believe I’m saying this - guess I’m getting soft - but I care about the two of you. I don’t want to see either of you hurt.” Geoffry sighed. “Come on... there are far too many books in this library to spend all your time on one. I’ll show you around.” The elf sighed and closed her book. He led her through the expanse of the library, playing the role of librarian very well.
    Last edited by Sagequeen; 08-11-12 at 09:54 AM.

Sexy Immortal
    GP

Name
    Jensen Ambrose
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black Red Tips
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11, 154
    Job

Jensen had little trouble moving along the inner sanctum to the Bastion, his time within the Labyrinth of Pestilence giving him a unique insight into the castle structure. While mostly different, aesthetically the layout didn’t change much from the norm. It was a simple matter of finding a room, and he was pleased to find an acceptable one after the fourth door he opened. It had two beds, one a larger size that he could use to sleep with Erissa. At this point in their journey Jensen felt little need for a lookout, as now they could lock the door behind them when they slept.

The posts upon the bed were riddled with dust along the long, liviol wood. He moved the drapes on the banister of the master bed aside, and slammed his clenched fist upon the mattress. A soft layer of resting debris lifted upwards like tiny particles, causing the immortal to sneeze as he fanned the air around him. With a nod, he went to the window and found the lock, sliding it open and pushing the windows outwards with a rusty sigh. Clapping his hands together and rubbing them, he looked to the bed. With all the force he could concentrate on he pushed a gale of wind through the room, the drapes and window shades bustling and clattering against their bonds as the dust moved up and out by Jensen’s flowing hands.

When he was finished he looked to the less dusty room and found it to be a Senior Knights mate quarters. It was a room for a husband and wife and one child. He looked to find a small black ledger upon a crooked oak desk, and with a flip he began to read about the man’s concerns for his family in regards to the End Bringer. The brutality of the man was apparently enough to cause the writer great concern that he contemplated fleeing the castle. Yet the final entry was his firm, stubborn resolve to stay in the fight and protect what he loved.

Now, that man was probably dead.

Jensen tossed the ledger back on the desk and headed out of the room, shutting the door behind him and marking a big X mark in the dust that rested upon the door so he wouldn’t forget it. When he turned he felt a shift in the air, and heard the pitter-patter of boots drifting away at a rapid pace. He craned his neck just to hear it and when he located the sound he pulled out his poisoned knife from the Red Forest and chased after it in a silent trot.

The red carpeted floor was stained brown like dried blood, and crunchy in places. The noise was faint by the time he turned the corner. Jensen moved down the walkway, looking to the bodies of the dead that lined the halls on either side like they were chopped down in quick, efficient strokes. Most likely the End Bringer had killed so many of their comrades the warriors had lost their heart for the fight. Jensen wasn’t sure the outcome, but the way the dead’s eyes seemed to trail him made him much more uncomfortable.

He continued down the walkway, hitting a set of wide spiral steps. He stayed close to the narrow end, skipping down two steps at a time out into an opening. He heard the rustle of dead leaves being touched and narrowed his sights on the far end, where a bush bobbled up and down. In a dead sprint, Jensen crossed the gap in no time, rounding the corner, and he jumped backwards in surprise.

A skeleton stood before him with mouth open in a silent shriek, revealing rotted teeth. Its broadsword was raised above its head, the weapon caught in the wood. The wind rustled the dead’s clothing and Jensen found two small owls moving around in the dead man’s leg area, a tiny nest at his feet. When the owls spotted him they hooted loudly, flapping in his face as they retreated into the sky. Jensen rubbed his chin and turned his back to look to the fleeing fowl. He felt an unearthly wind pass by him, but his thoughts wandered too much in the games his mind was playing to notice deeply.

He did notice the sudden sharp pain of a rusted blade striking his shoulders, gouging his jacket, cutting his flesh in ragged lines from the rusting weapon. The skeleton had lurched forwards, as if pushing him in a tripping maneuver. The immortal rolled, turned with knife in hand and let the weapon fly from his fingertips, hitting the skull in the right eye socket, knocking the head off. The skeleton crumbled forwards, as if falling slowly through time as the bones clattered on the ground. Jensen felt the wind in his lungs shift in a gasp as he studied the dead body further.

He shook his head again slowly, bending down to retrieve his knife. As he picked it up he muttered how the skeleton ‘must have fallen’ on him when the owls fled, their mad ascent to be free of Jensen’s intrusions knocking it loose. The immortal pocketed his weapon, and looked around the courtyard. He sighed as he ran back towards his group of comrades.

In little time he reached the library, and found Erissa and Geoffry looking over a pile of books. The elf lifted her head, eyes wide as a child who found a candy store. Jensen let out a snort of amusement. Geoffry offered him a simple nod in greeting which Jensen ignored as he walked to them.

“Oh, Jensen, there is a treasure trove of knowledge here! Books about events historians only speculated, written by those who were actually there!”

“Kinda turned on, ain’t ya kitten?” Jensen teased flicking her ears again as she purred to him, lifting herself up and wrapping her arms around his neck. A quick kiss passed their lips as Jensen slid his grip to her waist, looking to Geoffry. “Found a nice place, marked the thick dust with an X. That’ll be home base for the evening.” Geoffry and Erissa both nodded to the plan, but soon the knight lifted a hand in deference.

“If it’s all the same to you, I doubt I’d get much sleep being in the same room with you two groping each other all night. I’ll give ya a peace of mind for the evening and cart blanche to get your feelings out of your systems.” Geoffry laughed as he lifted a couple of books. Erissa looked to Jensen, smiling before she snapped her fingers and turned to the desk.

“Oh, good grief! I lost the one book I was really interested in!” Erissa said looking around for the tome she had read earlier. Jensen looked to see Geoffry tuck one of his books away, but when he saw the immortal, he shrugged and lifted it out with no resistance. “Oh, thank you Geoffry!” Erissa squeaked.

“It’s no problem,” the knight replied sincerely. “It’s just a book that I think would help us on our hunt against Oblivion, and I got a little carried away to learn all about it. But I do have this to keep me busy!” He patted a book on heroes in a different era and Erissa smiled as she placed the book into her satchel. Jensen shrugged as he headed with the elf out the door towards the hallway.

“Meet back here around dawn?” Jensen suggested to his fellow knight. With a nod Geoffry passed him and headed towards the barracks’ lower level. Jensen waved him off and turned to Erissa, his fingers linking with hers as he smiled to her. “So...we’re all alone....”
    I could laugh...
    ...Till I die!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast