View Poll Results: Are you interested in writing in other settings?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm mostly interested in different settings

6 19.35%
  • Yes, occasionally, though I prefer fantasy

17 54.84%
  • I enjoy all genres/settings equally

3 9.68%
  • I have no interest in other settings

5 16.13%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Writting in other settings

Wayward Scribe
    EXP: 24,427, Level: 6
    Level completed: 64%, EXP required for next level: 2,573
    Level completed: 64%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,573
    GP

Name
    Luned Bleddyn
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Chestnut
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'4"/Average
    Job
    Chronicler

View Profile
    I came here because I like the cohesive setting. I have other places I go for other genres. It's not that I like one more than the other; they're different beasts for different moods and inspirations.

EXP: 12,909, Level: 3
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next level: 1,091
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,091
    GP

Name
    Savas Tigh
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Necromancer, aspiring Evil Overlord

I went to the moon.

That is all.

EXP: 85,686, Level: 12
    Level completed: 67%, EXP required for next level: 4,314
    Level completed: 67%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,314
    GP

Name
    Kyla Marie Orlouge
    Race
    Mystic
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'6, 155lbs
    Job
    Ixian Knights Reformation team

I've been thinking about this a lot, and while I think it would be cool to see what people would come up with given more setting options I worry about our current activity being divided more than it already is. If it drives activity that would be amazing, but if it simply pulls activity from the regions then I think it will do more harm than good. I don't want to see the fantasy world I've come to enjoy turn into just an option on the site. On the other hand, I'm incredibly biased because this is the only place I've ever written and I probably have no idea how much fun I might have in another setting.

So, I've kind of stayed out of it until I came across this thread. I know we have our Vignettes every month, but I like the idea of allowing us to write something unrelated to our current character. I also see this as a chance to see what kind of reception free setting would have without actually diving in headfirst to something. All too often there is an idea pitched, and its wonderful and everyone gets excited but then when its put into practice no one participates once the newness wears off. I'm thinking boss battles, writers workshop. ect...

I'm kind of getting longwinded here, so....

Basically, I'd like to see us do a test run through some type of temporary feature before anyone takes the time to implement a whole new forum that may or may not take off.
    Last edited by Amber Eyes; 04-27-12 at 02:29 AM.
    My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
    ~~ Ashleigh Brilliant

Every girl should use what Mother Nature gave her before Father Time takes it away.
    ~~Dr. Laurence J. Peter

You might as well stand and fight because if you run, you will only die tired.
    -- Sei Shin Kan

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    -- Anon

EXP: 7,821, Level: 3
    Level completed: 71%, EXP required for next level: 1,179
    Level completed: 71%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,179
    GP

Name
    Vespasian Villeneuve
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'10 / 140 lbs
    Job
    Covert Operative

Althanas settings seem diverse enough to satisfy most of my cravings. We've got like three places where the medieval atmosphere is present. If I want to go exotic, I've got Fallien and Dheathain, if I want lot's of magic I can use Raiaera, and one only has to stretch the imagination so much to convince a reader that some may even have electricity in Alerar. Aspects of the settings around here are not perimeters or boundaries to me, holding me to a pattern, or discouraging me from going in one direction, but more like stepping stones, encouraging me to go in another with enthusiasm. Very seldom do I have to use another world, but if I do it's either cyberpunk, a space opera, a historical drama, or a comedy using jokes that depend on real life references.
    The Villeneuve Family
    Vespasian - PC, Lv. 1, Lv. 2 ...THE BABY!
    Maelle Eldest Sister
    Ludivine Middle Sister
    Esme Father

GP

Name
    Gable Rose
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    White and Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5ft/4in and 110 lbs
    Job
    Explorer and Adventurer

I've always been interested in sci-fi, modern fantasy, and fantasy like Althanas, but my heart is mostly in a steam-punk style world. If I could find a site like althanas, that has the established world to build on with the fun game-like aspect of levels and exp I'd be there. Most other sites are really hard to work with when they have that though, too strict and closed to allow for too much creativity, while other sites allow for any type of character and the stories told are for fun but without any real reward. I don't need to write super-powered characters with other people, and would like to know that at least one person read something I wrote other than those involved and also might have some sort of feedback.

If you could take the althanas system and replicate it with modern fantasy, sci-fi, or steampunk I'd be on that site asap.

EXP: 160, Level: 1
    Level completed: 8%, EXP required for next level: 1,840
    Level completed: 8%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,840
    GP

Name
    Illa K. Cenata
    Race
    Lifedrinker
    Hair Color
    Golden Blonde
    Eye Color
    Slate Grey
    Build
    5'2" / 102 lb
    Job
    Vagabond

I have a soft spot for high fantasy magitek settings. I think they're a beautiful fusion.

EXP: 46,568, Level: 9
    Level completed: 26%, EXP required for next level: 7,432
    Level completed: 26%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,432
    GP

Name
    Visla Layne Eraclaire
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Raw Umber Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    5'3" / 115 lbs

The idea that Althanas is a rigid setting that doesn't accept non-traditional stuff is utter horseshit and the idea that it "always has been" is even more preposterous.

My first character, winner of JCs, and mentioned several times in Visla and other character's back story is a powered-armor wearing, energy sword weilding, blaster pistol firing, dimension-hopping science fiction monstrosity. His people were from the future of our Earth and had become planeswalkers through advanced technology. Visla has RPed in the city founded by him and was awarded ownership of it as a spoil. My highest rated quest of all time was set in that city.

I even made another Eudaemonian fairly recently (1 or 2 years ago) and was approved without question or complaint. He beat another character in a tournament expressly by playing a fish-out-of-water outsider.

Frankly, Althanas has more characters from "somewhere else" that being a strange unusual minority is basically the default.

Any idea that you have to play with the high fantasy setting and can't insert your own stuff is revisionist history at best. The fact that it's being vocally espoused by a relative newbie like Duffy is no surprise. Max Dirks has guns. Riddle me that, Duffman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gable Rose View Post
    I've always been interested in sci-fi, modern fantasy, and fantasy like Althanas, but my heart is mostly in a steam-punk style world. If I could find a site like althanas, that has the established world to build on with the fun game-like aspect of levels and exp I'd be there. Most other sites are really hard to work with when they have that though, too strict and closed to allow for too much creativity, while other sites allow for any type of character and the stories told are for fun but without any real reward. I don't need to write super-powered characters with other people, and would like to know that at least one person read something I wrote other than those involved and also might have some sort of feedback.

If you could take the althanas system and replicate it with modern fantasy, sci-fi, or steampunk I'd be on that site asap.
    Do what I did, just put yourself on an island somewhere in relative isolation and go with it. The city I mentioned, Uiria, is basically a steam-punk/magitech city at this point... of course I haven't written or played significantly in a long time.
    Last edited by Visla Eraclaire; 05-15-12 at 05:24 PM.
    We talkin bout practice
    Not a game, not a game, not a game
    We talkin bout practice

Wide eyed & bushy tailed
    EXP: 59,008, Level: 10
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 5,992
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,992
    GP

Name
    Remedy Blue

I always found that the best writers merged creativity and application of ideas. You might want a to use your own race, so you have to think of how you apply that to Althanas.

I have two characters, one a subterranean humanoid and the other a humanoid plant. I made the first from a small village located high in the mountains where they were sheltered from most of Althanas, and built the story of their isolation explaining why no one had heard of his race. The other one I made from the Red Forrest and explained her as a freak plant born of wild magics. I had the idea for both of these characters way before I melded them into the setting. Although I wouldn't list myself among those 'best writers', its an example of what I think works.

Quote Originally Posted by Gable Rose View Post
    I quite like the idea of steampunk too, but it is not necessarily separated from Althanas based technology. The basic needs of steampunk would be what? Metal work, steam powered engines and an extremely high precision of... well dials, cogs and stuff? Dwarves for example might be able to make some basic steampunk stuff with little change from the core setting. You then have your character learn from some old dwarf kicked out of his home because of his crazy inventions. (for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Savas Tigh View Post
    I went to the moon.

That is all.
    I was just starting a solo where Talen goes to the moon! You got a link to yours so I can steal compare ideas?

EXP: 7,821, Level: 3
    Level completed: 71%, EXP required for next level: 1,179
    Level completed: 71%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,179
    GP

Name
    Vespasian Villeneuve
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'10 / 140 lbs
    Job
    Covert Operative

This is slightly disturbing, so I have to ask.

Why do you guys feel like you need to go somewhere else for what's being provided for you in Althanas right now? It's not that I'm against creating your own region. I do that myself, and that's what the Outlands are for. Gable Rose, if your heart is in steampunk (mine is too) then why aren't you using Alerar, which is basically a steampunk nation with airships, experiments, and firearms abound? Absent wizard, I see that you're using Raiaera and taking liberties with it, which is beautiful. You like high fantasy, and that's what that region is for. Visla, to call all of Althanas' regions high fantasy is just as revisionist as what you're accusing Duffy of. You're right. Althanas isn't a rigid setting, and you're also right when you say most characters are from 'somewhere else' but I'd like to know why when Corone and Salvar provide low fantasy, Raiaera provides high fantasy, Alerar provides steampunk, Fallien and Dheathain are whatever the hell they are?

Now don't get me wrong. The tone of the previous paragraph seems defensive, but it's not. I just don't have another way of putting that out there, and I want to know honestly, what discourages people from using what we have. Is there not enough info, is there too much info, should it be stated outright what every region can represent, is someone afraid of taking too much liberties with the world and getting a shitty score like Vigil said (which is feel is an isolated case. Caden Law/Savas Tigh has blown up an island nation, gone to the moon, REPLACED A CANONISED CITY [and hasn't given a flying fuck], and has been rewarded for it), what is it?
    The Villeneuve Family
    Vespasian - PC, Lv. 1, Lv. 2 ...THE BABY!
    Maelle Eldest Sister
    Ludivine Middle Sister
    Esme Father

EXP: 260, Level: 1
    Level completed: 13%, EXP required for next level: 1,740
    Level completed: 13%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,740
    GP

Name
    Connor Grayson Lacuna
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'11, 223 lbs
    Job
    You pick the fight, I pick the price.

I don't think that too much info is the problem. I'm pretty sure there's less than 50 pages on the wiki, total, and for some people that do well with that kind of information, it seems lacking. I personally don't mind doing research into a subject when I write about it, but others do. I think that some kind of 'middle ground' might be the best option, like having a (somewhat) rigid and researchable mythos in place, while still allowing people to take liberties within their stories. I like that Althanas doesn't mind when you utterly break the canon, but sometimes I wish it had more of a canon in the first place.
    --A man can be destroyed, but not defeated--
    Ernest Hemingway

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast