White to Gray
    Eye Color
    Maroon
    Build
    5'2 / 119lb
    Job
    Cleansing One

View Profile
    It didn't take as long as I thought for Sophia to get bandaged up as our magic support was still treating the wounded infantry. What astounded me, however, was that the person who patched Sophia up was none other than our mute guide. Pell kept watch with a few of those who weren't injured as badly, and while we waited, the field commander's voice came through via my mana stone along with the shouting of orders being relayed in the beacon area.

Despite the fact that he was a fellow Mana Knight of my age, he had always gravitated towards planning of combat rather than the grisly bits. Nevertheless, when it came to battlefield strategy, having a man like Reginald Masters was a boon. The only issue you ever had to wonder about was whether or not you'd be able to live with the actions required of you, earning him the title of The Grim Tactician.

Regrettably what he said gave little comfort. "Oswald, we have reports of several dozen tulartars heading towards Sylvia's location. Her unit is pulling back slowly, but at the rate they're going they'll be overrun."

A grimace made its way to my lips as I replied quickly, "We're moving out as soon as we have our wounded treated."

"Sylvia should be your primary concern." Sylvia - the Mana Knight we were seeking, but one I did not personally know. From what I had heard, she was much younger than I was, perhaps the same generation as those of my unit. Regardless, even I had heard about her exploits in my years of drunken solitude. The woman had become a legend in her own time and was often referred to as The Maiden of War.

"My soldiers are my primary concern."

"About that - I've reassigned the mage and blacksmith attached to your group with auxiliary. They're making good progress in moving to recapture supplies. The eluvian you had is making her way towards your position with a combat squad of her own." A tired sigh passed from him as his voice came through with some irritation, "So as I've said, Sylvia is your main concern. Follow your orders and let me worry about providing the support where needed."

"Consider the orders done then." As Reginald's voice faded, I turned to the soldiers that still remained with a dark grimace upon my face. Tulartars were never good news but several dozen? If anything it confirmed my suspicions that there was something else at stake in this battle. Was the enemy making a desperate push or were they after something? In any case, there was no reason to alarm or panic those still with me. "Pell, we're moving out. Miss Ezraehie is bringing an eluvian squad to cover our rear and flank. I'm told that they'll also pick up our wounded." At the mention of Erieai, I caught a grin on Pell's face as he moved off to round up those able with no disagreement.

Soon enough, we were on the move again with a much smaller force now and after what the group had experienced, I couldn't blame them for being uneasy - I was like them once. It didn't help that the farther away we marched from the beacon, the more buildings were set aflame. If I didn't know any better, I could have sworn we were marching straight into the jaws of Hadia itself as the narrow, winding streets meant that every corner could be a trap or ambush. Even so, time was of the essence as I did not relish the thought of taking on multiple tulartars if we didn't have to - hells, it was difficult for most combat groups to even take down one of the giant bovine creatures.

Sounds of clashing steel, lights from magical discharges and yelling of soldiers ahead signaled we were close. Yet, before we could even react, a building to our right flank practically erupted as an armored tulartar charged out with a bestial roar, immediately goring a soldier badly while cleaving another in two with its oversized claymore. A swift hail of arrows from overhead sealed the fates of a few more soldiers as ioaiis, wulvens and skegulls surrounded us in force.

First thing was first: the feline archers - the cattyans - needed to be removed from the fight and I didn't have the time to just simply wipe them off the roofs above. As the few soldiers with me engaged, I raised my left hand and clenched a fist quickly. At once, a shimmering barrier glowed over us and I felt it quickly being amplified by the magic support.

Rushing a tulartar was never a bright thing to do and yet that was exactly what I did. It was what I had to do to draw its attention from the rest of my soldiers. The tulartar, armored in full plate, nine feet in height and half that in how broad its shoulders were resembled a wall of steel rather than something I could kill - well, easily. As I charged with a roar of my own, it swung. A blast of energy shot down my right sword arm as I deflected his blade just in time. There was momentary surprise in its movements as it parried several swings from my broadsword before it was able to keep me at bay with his reach.

Without warning, strong gusts billowed through the street and stirred the ashes into the air as a haze of blinding and suffocating debris. A glint of metal honing in quickly warned me to defend myself and as I threw up a barrier, I felt my greaves leave the ground before being hurled several feet away. Sharp, pained breath told of a broken rib or two as I forced myself to stand and focused myself to see through the ether of mana. What I saw had me questioning whether or not I was dreaming.

Soldiers on both sides were hindered as the unexpected storm swirled about while a single figure dashed from beast to beast, dispatching them quickly and efficiently. A familiar metal ring and the sound of arching electricity from the figure's blade had me whisper a single name: "Holly..." For the briefest second, I could have sworn the figure looked in my direction as it continued its rampage.

An ear shattering bellow from the tulartar reminded me of my duties as the winds died down. Seeing the creature shaking its helmeted head violently in an attempt to expel the dust and ash, I took my chances and charged once more. A blind swing came in wide from my left and was easily avoided as I slid along the ground. Surges of strength poured through my limbs as I swiftly rose and thrust my broadsword through the armored bovine's abdomen. Seconds later, a burst of light exploded from the beast's back and sure enough, I saw its eyes dim through the crevice of its great helm as I withdrew my blade.

Almost immediately after, a sword crushed against my left shoulder and would have sunk in deeply if not for my plated armor. Turning, I gave a thrust with my sword, but was unable to get a good angle at the snarling wulven. An abrupt spray of blood onto my face and a sword grinding through the wulven's back and out its chest had me sigh in relief. I shoved the creature off of me quickly and as I did, I caught sight of Sophia as my savior before she rushed off the rejoin Pell and the others holding the line.

Frantic shouts and screams approaching us from the direction we were headed warned me that our objective was approaching us instead. With it, it would mean more enemies as well and from the sounds of it, our side was losing. With the tulartar dead, however, my unit was able to regroup and thankfully just in time as the barrier above began to weaken. "Support, take out those archers!" There was little hesitance in our mages as they stopped their augmentations and began suppression with magic and gunfire at the archers above. Arrows rained back in response. I knew we would take casualties; however, it wasn't a careless gamble.

Within moments, I spotted the unmistakable form of our guide moving quickly above on the rooftops in a whirlwind of slashes as he... or she severed limbs and heads from the enemy archers above, effectively drawing their attention away from those on the street. It would be no reprieve from the rest of the battle though as the distinctive roars of more tulartars charged towards us, pushing back what remained of Sylvia's unit before them. The Maiden of War herself was doing her best to buy her men more time even though the heavy injuries she sustained slowed her retreat to a crawl. Nevertheless, it was impressive to see the woman keep three tulartars at bay by herself.

Running towards the incoming tide of beastmen, I could see it was obvious that we were losing this battle. I gritted my teeth knowing that sacrifices would have to be made in order to secure Sylvia, but I hesitated to give the order. As I cleaved and burned a path through flesh and fur to reach Pell and Sophia, one thought continued to play in my head: was that Holly? The gusts of wind and technique - even the weapon, all pointed to her, yet I couldn't be sure. Not until I could see her face.

"This isn't looking good, Oswald!" Pell shouted as he parried a skegull's spear. "Is there an actual plan or are we all just supposed to die here?"

I didn't answer him right away as I deflected another wulven soldier's scimitar and lunged with my broadsword to pierce its breastplate and heart. Casting a quick glance at the battle on the street, it certainly did look as if all of us would be dead soon. "Fight our way to Sylvia and her unit, then we fall back."

A sudden shriek of pain snapped my attention to Sophia as an ioaii stabbed a dagger into the girl's side. Before I could move to help, however, the girl drew a knife from her hip and began stabbing the rodent repeatedly as her free hand grappled and held the creature against the ground. Certain that it was dead she quickly retrieved her long sword and readied herself, back to back with a fellow soldier. "And protect Sophia."

Without warning, the body of a cattyan plummeted to the ground with our guide landing a second later to sever its head. It was then that I noted the mask was missing and so was the white and red mane attached to it. For the first time, I could see the faded brown hair streaked with grey and when our guide turned, I saw the unmistakable hazel eyes of my wife. A streak of crimson ran down from her head and dripped periodically from her chin as she stared back at me.

At that moment, I forgot myself and where I was. Nothing seemed to matter - the burning buildings, enemies trying to cut me down, my mission... none of it. Questions by the thousands clouded my mind as well as anguish, anger, and regret.

"More archers from above!" Pell's voice jerked me out of my daze and from the looks of it, Holly too. Arrows hailed down with a vengeance upon those still alive and before I could raise a barrier, two hit dangerously close to my heart. None of those around me were left unscathed.

"Mother Holly!" Sophia's shout seemed to echo through the air as she defended my wife and apparently, her mother.

It was then that I watched with horror as an archer on the roof lined its sight on the pair. With whatever strength I could muster, I surged a ball of fire towards the feline, but not before the arrow had loosed from its weapon.

The arrow struck true into the back of Sophia's head and at the moment, silence rang in my ears. It was as if my nightmares were manifesting themselves before me. Once more I would have to bear witness to a child die while protecting her parent. And as I watched her body fall and lie still in the blood-soaked mud of the street I felt the fight in my body beginning to ebb. Not only had I failed my mission, I failed the only woman who had mattered to me, again.

"Azza...? Azza no... AZZA!" I could only assume the name my wife screamed was Sophia's true name as she cradled the dead girl to her chest.

As I continued to watch while the battle still raged around us, the body of Holly and Sophia began to glow white, softly at first, and continued to grow in intensity. Arrows that continued to fall on the two clattered harmlessly to their sides. Something about the sight made me recall when I destroyed the pendant all those years ago. There was no malice though in the aura that radiated and as it spread along the ground, I came to the realization that perhaps all the legends were true.

There was no longer any doubt in my mind that the girl slain before me was a Skalu Hudie, and as the white glow moved to engulf my consciousness, I prayed for the first time in decades that those still alive here wouldn't meet a fate similar to Old Pretalia Castle.
    Last edited by orphans; 05-27-13 at 07:45 PM.
    Current Adventures:
    None

Party:
    None

Recently Done:
    Following...
    Perspective...
    Price...
    Songs...
    He Who Waits...
    Matriarch's...

Hand of Virtue
    EXP: 87,799, Level: 12
    Level completed: 84%, EXP required for next level: 2,201
    Level completed: 84%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,201
    GP

Name
    Artemis Eburi
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown and Gray
    Eye Color
    Piercing Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Smith

“Damn it, there’s no end to them!” Maybel yelled, and I found it hard to disagree. We had regrouped with nearly two dozen soldiers and given the command to recover supplies, and though we had arrived at the destination, it seemed as though we’d be over-run. It felt like I was being swarmed by a zoo outbreak. Beastmen…beastpeople…beasties…? Hell, they were just like people, but all merged with something or other – mice, wolves, cats, lizards, bulls (big-ass bulls). I suppose it would be all rather fun if it were in the Citadel… but it wasn’t… and I could actually die.

“Good thing my blades are made for this!” I yelled, pushing forward and slicing up more of the creatures as I sprinted about, cutting tight corners and dismembering any who got in my way. The studs of my boots kicked out chunks of mud as I made my way through their ranks, magic filling my body as the few support mages surrounding me saw I was the best target for their attention. Needless to say, I lost count of how many I’d struck or what I was doing and simply went with instinct.

“Mahana be damned, good thing he’s on our side,” Maybel mumbled before firing a bolt of ice from the palm of his hand. “Wait ‘til Oswald hears about this!”

Just a brief few minutes passed and we had dispatched what was left of their group, half the unit storming the supply buildings and beginning to collect what we had been ordered to. They came out with crates full of weapons and munitions. Meanwhile, I walked back over to Maybel, giving a quick flick of my daggers to clear them of blood. He simply shook his head at me as I approached.

“Blacksmith, huh?” he said with a smirk. I just shrugged at the question, not bothering to answer. Suddenly his smirk fell away as he looked up and behind me. I turned and followed his gaze, seeing a bright white beam of light pierce the sky not too far off. “It’s expanding…” Maybel said under his breath. “That definitely can’t be good.”

“Really?!” was all I could manage, sarcastically of course, before the light accelerated outward with such pace that there was nothing I could do but squint my eyes at the brightness. And just as quickly, all went dark.

“Artemis!” I heard a voice, and it was familiar, but everything was still foggy. It didn’t help that I was being shaken, which people seem to think makes waking someone up better. It doesn’t. “Artemis, wake up, we have orders to move out and regroup at command.” Then I realized who was talking. The mention of orders meant it was Maybel.

“Five more minutes…” I mumbled, my head lolling from one side to the next.

“Ah forget it, I’ll come back for you.” With that, the shaking thankfully stopped and I was able to sort through my thoughts. I opened my eyes to see that the dust had figuratively settled. The battle was over. Somehow the wounds of those still alive had healed, but those dead were still dead. The fires that were raging all around us had all died out as well and charred skeletons were all that remained. As I stood, though still slightly stiff from the shockwave of white light that had struck, I began helping everyone up as we all dragged ourselves across the quiet battlefield and to command. It was an eerie walk, with barely a word spoken between anyone aside from orders.

When we had finally arrived at command and entered the large dome structure, like the many others I’d seen in the past month, Maybel and I found our unit, who were thankfully all there – except for Sophia. They were all beat up, at least externally, but all seemed in good health regardless. Oswald was off to the side, speaking to a woman who I believe had been our guide earlier, but had taken off the mask. Go figure, I had thought it was a man too. It was odd to see the old man with so much emotion upon his face. I figured it had something to do with Sophia missing, and I couldn’t help but worry about the girl.

Nearby a beautiful woman with blonde hair began to approach Oswald, and given how she carried herself, I could only imagine she was of some sort of importance. I noticed her carrying a kopesh, given its distinctive shape, as well as a shortsword sheathed by her side. A few quick words were exchanged between herself and the old man before he and the guide followed. Maybel gave me a nudge and the entire unit all crowded around a relatively large table with an enchanted map upon its surface.

Standing at the table waiting for us all was a man with black hair, cut like the rest, but peppered with stray grays. His hands were tucked into the small of his back and his face showed many years of experience and difficult decisions. His stern and stoic gaze examined every one of us from head to toe as he waited for us to approach. Surrounding him and a few steps off from the table were nearly a dozen other officers, all watching our approach as our unit surrounded the table and joined the man.

“Reginald,” the woman began, “I was able to recover some mission orders off one of the Tulartar’s bodies.” She pulled a scroll from her pocket, swinging her kopesh over her shoulder, and reading aloud. “The orders state: The World Ender must be killed at all costs and cannot be allowed to reach the City of Old.

“Thank you Sylvia. However, this changes nothing – we proceed as planned.” The man’s response held a level of authority that signified his rank, and the grainy voice that strained to make the words come out showed a history of drinking that rivaled even a dwarf’s from the mainland.

“Yes sir,” she responded curtly.

“I’m going after the World Ender,” the guide said, which genuinely confused the hell out of me. The guide? Really? As she spoke, she turned and went toward what looked like a pile of supplies.

“I’m going with her,” Oswald added. “It was my duty to ensure her safety in the first place, by the Queen’s orders. I will not fail my mission.”

Reginald stared at the pair with an obvious look of disapproval. “Some things never change,” he mumbled, further leaving me confused as hell. “This is a suicide mission. Do not expect me to provide you any more support than the supplies in that box you’re rummaging through.”

“I didn’t ask for any,” the woman said, her back facing the man but not diminishing the command in her voice as well.

“You don’t even know where to begin to look,” Reginald added, though his comment was ignored. However, at that moment an eluvian scouting squad radioed in to command: there was a strange trail of vegetation leading in the direction of Arfezeria, the Ancient city. The guide stood, turning to Reginald and giving him a condescending smirk.

“I’ll be joining them,” Pell added, and when Reginald turned a surprised look at him, the man could only shrug.

“As will I,” Maybel added. “I consider it a privilege and opportunity.” He saluted quickly, and turned to join the guide by the crate.

“My reasons are my own, but I’m going as well,” the eluvian woman added, crossing her arms across her chest.

“Yeah, what Erieai said.” Jackal pulled out his knife and began tossing it in the air, a smirk spreading across his face.

“My orders are to stay by Oswald’s side, as his aide, and I will not betray our Queen,” Inta added with a salute of her own.

I shook my head and lowered my gaze. I was so exhausted. I was so tired of everything. I just wanted to go home. I wanted to be away from all of this. But my unit had already spoken. With a sigh, I mumbled two words that encompassed how I had felt since the day the ship had made port on this bizarre island.

“Fuck it.”
    Last edited by SirArtemis; 05-27-13 at 06:14 PM.
    2011 Althy Winner - Most Realistic Character
    2016 Althy Winner - Best Contributor & Player of the Year (tie)

Artemis Eburi Wiki Page
    Current Character Profile

Solo Quests:
    Hidden Beneath The Canopy (75)
    Lost Loot of Lornius (74)

Radical Radasanthian
    EXP: 43,239, Level: 8
    Level completed: 92%, EXP required for next level: 761
    Level completed: 92%,
    EXP required for next level: 761
    GP

Name
    Otto Bastum
    Race
    Orc
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Amber
    Build
    210cm / 105kg
    Job
    City guard (corporal), armourer

View Profile
    Plot: 20/30

Storytelling: 8/10
    The overarching story has been very well partitioned, with this current instalment standing up wonderfully by its self yet also fitting smoothly into the larger work. Orphans, your ability to cycle through the perspective of all these different characters really helps to bring them alive, and is done without any sort of jarring. Artemis, your character’s summary of their arrival at Seoyruun told me, in colourful terms, both what had happened since the end of the last thread, and how Artemis has perceived events; very efficient, very good. The story developed enough to stay interesting throughout, and I must applaud you for the ending, both of you. It was a hell of cliffhanger, epic in scope, but also strikingly personal.
    Now, Inta’s back story was brought up early on, and quickly dropped. Despite the early promise of some development of the relationship between her and Ironmane, this wasn’t really followed through, and her part shifted slowly towards insignificance. Also, there was something insincere about the intra-military dynamics, even parts of Oswald’s meeting with the queen; for people holding such auspicious positions, there was a remarkable lack of discipline and etiquette.

Setting: 5/10
    This area definitely needed work, although, to be fair, Artemis frequently did a decent job of describing the setting. Your writing, though, orphans, would have benefitted greatly from describing the environment in greater detail than you often did, or by describing it at all. The tavern at the start was decently envisioned, although including sounds and light levels to the mix would have enriched things. However, much that occurred afterwards, up to the finale battle, was lacking.
    Although you generally did a better job in that regard, Artemis, both of you seemed unwilling to really utilise the environment around you. Picture the burning city: how is the heat affecting the characters, the smoke, the ash flying in their eyes? Do streets flanked by blazing houses make passage down some a slow, agonising and certain death? The closest you got was during Holly’s sudden appearance - the exception, not the norm.

Pacing: 7/10
    You both did a fine job in pacing this story out. Although there was much to tell, both past and present, exposition was clear and unobtrusive (probably as it was used sparingly), and back stories coalesced from titbits given throughout the thread, rather than having them forcibly crammed in. And overall, the pacing suited the slower, plodding intrigue and introspection of the early parts of the thread, then jolted awake to meet the demands of a hectic battle.
    You’ve both shown skill in layering your writing with meaning and techniques, but you missed the opportunity to let this area bring your setting score up, too. In those long, drawn-out moments when Oswald is reflecting on the damage left by war, why not have him see it in the marks left upon the city? This occurred somewhat in Artemis’ posts (see the trip to the temple), but your writing would have really benefitted from something like this, orphans. Use the activity of the setting to speed up and slow down the world around you.

Character: 20/30

Communication: 7/10
    There were a few things which did not fit, or could have been improved upon. As mentioned above, the dialogue between a) Oswald and his subordinates and b) between Oswald and Mara was informal to the point of incredulity. I could understand such occurring between Oswald and subordinates he had a long service history with, and with whom he was on very good terms – but not the squad of personnel he had never met. As for the casual nature of the exchange between Mara and Oswald, well, again, it might be likely in private, but in the middle of court, and surrounded by nobles?
    By and large, though, dialogue was sincere, expressive, and seemed to come naturally. Each character was distinct. It was only slightly impacted by poor grammar within characters’ speech, which can cause it to deviate from natural rhythms and come off as a little jarring – see post 7, for example, when the queen says “Please Oswald, stand in my presence”; something as simple as inserting a comma to give “Please, Oswald...” immediately conjures up a sense of the flow and inflection given to it.

Action: 6/10
    I was struck by how easily Oswald gave up drinking. Seriously. As I understand it, the man has developed a severe dependence – an addiction – to the stuff to cope with both the loss of his family and the aimlessness in his life. Yet, he just gave it up, with hardly any mention of how difficult it was. Not only is this unrealistic, but you also missed out on an opportunity to probe Oswald's character a bit deeper and flesh him out.
    A less important instance of uncharacteristic action would be how Jackal and Erieai left just before Oswald concluded his story in post 17; it clearly wasn’t over (or it was, in which case, it was just confusing), so why couldn’t they wait another 10 seconds?
    The combat scenes were fairly well written, though a little confusing at times. Example: in post 19, how could Artemis reach past his enemies’ polearms with a dagger? Whether they were moving too slowly, or if Artemis slipped between them, isn’t stated. Apart from this, things were usually pretty clear.
    The thread had some powerful moments in it – ranging from Oswald’s understated laughter when he finds the scented ribbon, to the scene in which the arrow flies into Sophia’s skull. The latter actually surprised me, and those such as the former, though littered through the thread, weren’t enough to bring the score up. Still, good job.

Persona: 7/10
    Developing your character’s persona was not limited to action and dialogue - both of you write expressively, which, given the first-person perspective, really helped flesh out each person’s persona. I should like to point to the first paragraph of pot #9 as one particularly fine example, which also repeated and reinforced Artemis’ sentiments given earlier in the thread.
    As for the dialogue and action-driven stuff, that also worked fairly well except for one thing, and this was Holly and Sophia’s (dead Sophia, that is) persona. Given how important they are for fuelling our sympathy towards Oswald’s tragic past, this came off as a glaring mishap. I refer to the following:

Quote Originally Posted by orphans
    "Father, will we be enough?" Even though it was only a memory, seeing my daughter's bandaged form always tore at my heart. Strands of walnut brown hair stained with sweat and blood clung to her face as she gave a hesitant smile. "Or are you trying to compete with mother in kills, again?" she asked with her hazel green eyes starting up at me innocently - eyes that she had inherited from her mother.

My wife only chuckled and gave our daughter a small pat on her head. "Don't worry sweetie, I always kill more," was all she offered as she brushed past me quickly towards the fray.
    Is this what we are supposed to feel sympathy towards? Oswald himself recognised that the men and women he fought against as simply being those of his countrymen who had the misfortune of being on the wrong side of the lines when they were drawn. I’m afraid that, after this point, the tragedy in Oswald’s past becomes noticeably less tragic.

Prose: 20/30

Mechanics: 6/10
    Commas seemed to give both of you a lot of trouble. They were frequently missing from conjunctions (example: “... as Erieai stepped up beside us also ready and following us out the door”, post 13; a comma after ‘beside us’ would prevent the clumsy-looking run-on sentence), but while this was very frequent, it was not a major issue. The same goes for the commas which were regularly absent after interjections, transitional phrases and such. A bit more serious were the ambiguous sentences arising from missing commas, e.g. “Turning, I saw a few had already left and decided that Inta could handle introducing herself” (post 8), infers that the squad, not Oswald, decided that Inta could introduce herself. You needed a comma after ‘left’ to clarify.
    A few sentences lacked ‘objects’, and/or needed to be linked to the preceding sentence (through formation of a compound sentence, perhaps, or by beginning with a transitional phrase) – consider the following (post 5): “The customary greeting one gave to elders of great repute and Mana Knights”. That was a standalone sentence, and means nothing by itself. There were also a few outright awkwardly worded passages, as in post 9: “... taking the distraction away from what was to come”. This referred to the free week (I think) that the squad had before the mission, and it is – when read in context – meant to say that their leisure time distracted them from their fate, but the wording actually means that this distraction was removed by their free time, so in fact, their looming fate loomed clearer in their minds.
    Apart from that, there were a couple of typos (calling Oswald ‘Oswold’, for one), some awkward redundancy/repetition (post 13: “added on to add”), and slight misuse of punctuation other than commas (overuse of ellipses, and question marks lacking from rhetorical questions – they’re still questions). Also, mind your tenses! Getting them mixed up makes you sound like a Lutece.

Clarity: 8/10
    I have mentioned a few things which impacted negatively on the thread’s clarity; when Jackal and Erieai leave the campfire early (made me think the story was finished, and re-read it a couple of times to see if I missed anything), a bit of the combat, and poor grammar/sentence structure. Post 21 was a little jarring, in that there was no indication of the passage of time, and yet all of a sudden, Artemis had met up with Reginald (or his subordinates) and was carrying out his orders.
    And yet, all the mystery and intrigue that you wove in to the story was done well enough to lure me onwards, without causing me to stop in bafflement. The vast majority of your writing was crystal clear, hindered only by the odd hiccup rather than any glaring plot holes or spates of muddled prose. It’s an impressive feat, given that you were expanding the narrative in a number of directions at the same time. Just focus on making your sentence structure a bit clearer, and ensuring the credibility of your characters’ actions, and I can see you getting a 9 or 10 here.

Technique: 6/10
    There was a smattering of simile and metaphor (“amber colored bottle of anesthesia”, post 2 – though it was a little strange that Oswald thought of it in those exact words in his own head; “... allowed my past to spread through my mind like weeds and vines...”, post 15), some effective use of repetition (Sophia telling Artemis “It’ll be okay” in post 11; “They drifted. I drifted”, post 15). Unfortunately, it was a little sparse.
    There was also some good use of layered writing – telling two stories at once. I’m thinking of the trip to the museum, which elaborates on the explosion at the castle, while developing Artemis and Sophia’s relationship and also pondering the significance of the latter. As above, though, it was a little underutilised, and you could have afforded to continue with this towards the end, to add some more depth to the conclusion.

Wildcard: 7/10
    This is a fun, intriguing, touching, and let’s not forget epic story. That you’ve written something with this breadth of experience is fantastic. Just polish up on your structure, give your character’s actions a little bit more thought and really focus on the setting, and I can imagine that your final instalment will be exceptional.

Total: 67/100

SirArtemis receives 1150 experience and 160 gold.

orphans receives 1740 experience and 260 gold.
    Previous levels: I - II - III - IV - V

Il'Jhain Runner
    EXP: 20,399, Level: 6
    Level completed: 6%, EXP required for next level: 6,601
    Level completed: 6%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,601
    GP

Name
    Mordelain Saythrou
    Race
    Tama
    Hair Color