Chestnut
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'4"/Average
    Job
    Chronicler

View Profile
    It took Luned's tired brain an embarrassing length of time to dissect Aurelianus' bizarre slang, distracted as she helped barely-conscious Flint into his 'new' jacket. It was a struggle with that awful shoulder of his, the work of getting his bad arm into a sleeve eliciting no small number of groans and curses from the poor, disgruntled man. "Ah, well…" she began, quickly piecing together a bare minimum of details that would satisfy his curiosity. "I was an intended buyer, but someone made off with the entire shipment into the sewers. We've been investigating, but obviously it's not there."

The serpentine fellow wasn't feeling especially patient. "Yeah, I tumbled to that, luv. I wanna know where it is."

The battered scribe attempted to arrange her clothing in a functional fashion, finding this new outfit was nearly the right size, but everything ran quite long. She knelt down and rolled up her pant legs, doing her best to ignore the irritation of the fact that even if she had a change of clothes, her hair was still soaked in sewage water and nothing would fix that except a bath that was out of her foreseeable future. At the very least, her leg had stopped bleeding and the feeling was mostly restored. "It's not for certain, but I think we've figured it out," she sighed. "So I suppose it's time to go deal with that."

Flint, beyond any desire for polite conversation as he continued to shake off those fever dreams, merely nodded. He knew. They both knew.

"Fine by me. So, who we gonna kill?" Aurelianus asked calmly, spitting out his hair and taking another drag off his cigarette.

This proposition apparently horrified Luned, earning an agape glare, but after a moment of consideration, she realized that maybe it's what Ezura deserved. She poisoned her daughter, induced chaos in the sewers, caused at least several brutal homicides, stole from Swanra'ann, and caused Flint and herself a traumatizing amount of trouble. "No one's killing anyone," she replied bluntly, but from the slight change in her expression, Aurelianus was amused to find that she might not be so averse to laying down justice after all.

The walk to the museum felt like it took ages. Flint was really in no shape to confront a thief –– nor was Luned, for that matter –– but he simply didn't have the energy to argue. If anything, this was just one last stop before he finally left Ettermire or found permanent slumber in the gutters thanks to Swanra'ann. At this point, the only thing forcing his feet into constant, sluggish motion was Luned's gentle urging and repeated promises that she'd find them comfortable lodging and antibiotics. She could see he was struggling, but they were this close to leaving this nightmare behind them.

On the way, the Aurelianus caricature insisted on hearing an account of their Swaysong-spurred adventure to date. Luned reluctantly told the morbid tale, lingering on the goriest details to entertain him so she could glaze over ones she had trouble putting into words, namely the specifics surrounding Helethra. In the end she was glad to have organized their story out loud, as laying it all out there put perspective on the whole thing that both felt conclusive and shameful. It had been so obvious.

"I looked for signs when we first went to the museum," Luned attempted to justify her ignorance. "There were a lot of chemicals on those shelves, but nothing in a standard smoke bomb. But of course they weren't on display… she's obviously not stupid." She glanced over to Flint, as if hoping for some validation, that he could somehow say or do something that would soothe the burn of defeat.

He remained quiet, eyes straight ahead as he struggled to remain upright. Luned wondered if he'd even heard her, but after a long moment he muttered a response. "She was sick. Those things on her skin…"

The trio commenced the last leg of their trip in silence, but Flint's words got Luned thinking. Out of the three of them, she most understood what Swaysong was; Helethra's symptoms were complicated and typical of the more tragic turns that ingestion of such a powerful substance could take. The sewer creatures, they were under the influence of something else, but Helethra was a textbook case... well, as much as textbooks existed on this controversial substance, anyhow.

Swaysong, after all, was a monkey's paw. If one truly believed it was a cure-all, it could heal any disease known to man. If a confident person took it believing it would bring him to his full potential, it could very well turn man into demigod. A conflicted child, however, was a can of worms and the last thing that needed was magical enhancement.

The thing that killed Luned most about this, though, was the fact that in order for Helethra to become a monster, she must have felt like one to begin with.

By the time they arrived at the museum it was closed, Flint was dead on his feet, and glimpses of a pink and gold sunset peeked through the dark clouds. Luned hesitated at the rear entrance, looking up and wondering what the sky above Ettermire looked like before the industrial revolution. She wondered if there was anyone left who even remembered. She also recognized that she was stalling, afraid of what they were to discover within, so she forced herself to gather the last fragments of her courage and knocked on the door.

It creaked open, having been closed without care. Recalling Ezura's heavy lock-up the previous evening, it was an ominous sign.

The hallway appeared normal, but when they reached the lab, it was barely recognizable. It had been ransacked, furniture overturned and cabinets emptied onto the floor, pools of chemicals mixing dangerously on the floor. The odor was overpowering, formaldehyde combined with even more toxic substances, and Luned nearly fainted from vapors as she stepped in first. "Don't step in that," she gestured to the mess, "If you'd like to keep the soles on your feet. Ugh." She picked her way over shattered jars, their previous inhabitants swimming in solution on the floor, and walked over to the living area where Helethra's things were strewn carelessly amongst random pieces of lab equipment. Stooping, she picked up the doll of the rat king and reflexively stroked the hair on one of its many heads.

Flint stepped in next, and in his nigh-delirious state he missed Luned's warning. He crunched through some glass until he stepped on something soft that popped like an egg. Looking down, he lifted his boot.

The crushed skull of Bruno gazed back up at him, still smiling. One of his eyes had dislodged and burst like a grape full of jelly on the tile.

"Watch it, basher," Aurelianus piped up from behind as Flint wavered on his feet. The tiefling shoved him upright again and stepped around him to enter the room, not bothering to tip toe around the remains of the red-eyed elf fetus that squished audibly underfoot. He was too in the zone to pay heed to the strange creatures that littered the floor; he'd seen far worse in Hell. "I repeat m'self: who we gonna kill?"

Luned looked up from the doll, shook her head, and frowned. Beast Helethra didn't make this mess; people did. "Swanra'ann got her."

That was all it took for every ounce of Aurelianus' oh so angelic patience and grace to fly out the window. "Of all the pikin', soddin', Powers-damned, whorin' luck!" The interior décor was already adequately destroyed but he seemed to disapprove of the job, as he picked up a metal stool and began smashing the glass out of several empty cabinets. The harsh shattering made Luned wince and she looked over to see Flint leaning against the wall next to the door, wiping feverish sweat from his brow with the back of his hand. His eyes were unfocused. He was sick, and she'd brought him all this way for nothing. There wasn't a light at the end of the tunnel, after all.

"That pikin' chit gave us the laugh!" Their fiery acquaintance brought her out of her thoughts with a tremendous clatter as he threw the stool against the metal sink in the back of the lab, then kicked the table against a wall with a hard thud that dislodged one of its legs. Coils of smoke rose from his clenched fists and, for a moment, Luned thought he might turn on them, right after all that effort of patching them up. This wasn't far from the truth, as if the pair of them turned out useless in his pursuit of the mythical substance, the half-demon figured he might as well get some enjoyment after all the trouble he'd gone through.

It was time to rein in their emotions. "Wait," she called out, holding up her hand defensively. "If they came for Ezura, they must have taken any Swaysong she had left. I imagine they still want my money for it, so I'll go find them and offer to hold up the deal." Luned hadn't planned on sharing it with a stranger, but after his help, she had a feeling he would end up with some in his pocket whether she extended an invitation or not. In her precarious situation, she hadn't much choice in the matter.

Aurelianus sneered, skeptical.

Luned didn't want to give him time to consider things too carefully, such as the possibility of killing her, stealing the significant amount of money she had hidden on her person, and going to get it himself. She continued talking to stall, setting down the doll and commencing a search of all the storage spaces in the room. "Just give me five minutes. I have something I need to do, and Flint needs water, and if I'm not mistaken, Ezura may have some things around that could be helpful in a potential confrontation with the Queen of the Pit."

The room had seen a thorough shakedown but Luned hunted anyhow. Alas, no sign of affirmation was to be found in any obvious location in the room, and whoever had searched for the Swaysong destroyed everything else in their path.

Then the scribe remembered something Ezura said to Helethra on their way out the night before. "Upstairs… it must be upstairs. I'll be quick, I promise! Flint, you hang in there."

The first two doors Luned tried in the hallway were locked, the third opened into a similarly ransacked closet, and the fourth led into a narrow, wrought-iron spiral staircase. She took it.

The door at the first landing opened up into the reception area of the museum, empty and dark, and Luned thought even her quiet breathing might echo in the impressively large, open space. Dim light filtered in through grand street-facing windows three times her height, glass panes held in place by ornate iron frames. She truly wished she was there on a pleasant occasion to get a personalized tour from Ezura, she really had intended to explore this museum at some point, but no such luck, and it was unlikely she'd ever return. She closed the door and ascended again.

The second floor was also occupied by the museum, but the third and final level opened into a living space. It could have been a beautiful home, really, set up like a large, airy loft. Bare brick and rustic beams formed the structure, large windows allowing plenty of light, but that was where the coziness ended. It seemed no stone was left unturned and furniture was thrown around, decorations destroyed, books and keepsakes knocked from shelves to lay despondently on the floor in the overcast gray light.

Luned realized, then, that this was her own private viewing of the wreckage that was Helethra's and Ezura's life together. What Swanra'ann's men destroyed only reflected the grave reality of the situation, but the relationship between mother and daughter wasn't as easily repaired as a broken toy. Standing amongst the fragments of what should have been the happy youth of a bright little girl and knowing what misery laid ahead for them, Luned felt an entirely new and increasingly unsettling helplessness. How does one salvage the potential of an ideal, anyhow?

The darkening sky outside cast deep shadows in the room and, looking out at the street, Luned was reminded of the fact that she had places to go, things to do, and ill friends to help. Was Flint a friend? She wouldn't be surprised if that revelation was one-sided, but allowed it on her part all the same. If she went home and told Resolve this story, she'd listen, but never understand. In a selfish way, it was comforting to know that there was someone else in the world who'd share the same nightmares after they left this godforsaken place.

Fortunately, Luned's time upstairs was made mercifully brief by the fact that Swanra'ann's men apparently found what they were looking for, and the mess ended precisely at a spot in the kitchen where a piece of artwork was torn off the wall to reveal a safe embedded in the brick. It was open and empty, and to Luned's pleasant surprise, the room smelled oddly of sulfur.

On the area rug below scattered a handful of important documents, money, jewelry, all items commonplace in a family safe, but there was also a discarded cloth containing two vials, a third one broken nearby. Now that Luned was kneeling to collect these spoils she noticed specks of blood on the carpet, difficult to make out at first as they joined the woven design, but the oxidized brown that mingled with the geometric shapes was unmistakable. There'd been a struggle. The scribe imagined that, in one last ditch effort to escape the brutes, Ezura must have broken one of her leftover smoke bombs then faced the consequences when they easily overpowered her.

Luned wondered if she was still alive and, somewhere in the back of her subconscious, her Swaysong mission turned into the seed of an idea that maybe, just maybe, she could rescue Ezura both from Swanra'ann and her own ignorance of her child. This seed grew as she grabbed a mug and filled it with water from the pump; it grew as she dashed down the dizzying stairs; it grew as she reentered the lab to find Flint sunk down onto the floor and Aurelianus pacing wildly in her absence. Maybe their family had a future, and she had the power to give them that chance. Maybe there was a way to bring Helethra back. Maybe Luned's opportunity for redemption was in the future, not in rewriting the past.

"Drink," she insisted, forcing the cup into Flint's hand. There was a sheen of sweat on his ashen skin and, though he remained responsive and awake, Luned couldn't help but wonder how much longer that would last. There was an endless variety of diseases he could have picked up from that rat's mouth, and a raging bacterial infection was likely the friendliest amongst their many thrilling options.

From there, her attention turned to Aurelianus as she walked over to Helethra's toys to pick up a gas mask she remembered seeing mixed in with the dolls and books. "I found what I was looking for, and I'm pretty sure they got the Swaysong back. Just hold on, one more minute, please," she pleaded, then pulled the tightly wrapped package in waxed canvas out of her pocket. Even that hadn't kept the contents fully dry after her delightful swim with the leeches, but luckily she had enough foresight to hide the ticket inside the pages of her journal, and it remained crisp and dry. On it was a concerned message from Agnie.

What's going on? I thought you were returning tonight. Touch base.
    Luned wrote back, her rushed handwriting painfully messier than her usual level of quality, but it'd have to do.

Rendezvous ASAP, please watch door.
    The dependability of the fairy was questionable, but it was the best Luned could manage. She could only hope everything would fall into place as she packed up her things and replaced them into her pockets, keeping the fountain pen easily accessible in her breast pocket next to the smoke bombs. But... what would they do with Flint?
    Last edited by Luned; 01-20-13 at 06:46 PM.
    • • • art

EXP: 41,265, Level: 8
    Level completed: 70%, EXP required for next level: 2,735
    Level completed: 70%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,735
    GP

Name
    Flint Skovik
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6'4"/330 lbs

View Profile
    Flint tracked Aurelianus with his eyes, settling himself back against the wall near the door. The breeze from outside was cool and precious, soothing the stifling heat of his fever. He did not trust the tiefling. Aurelianus was the sort of man Flint pretended to be: a man in tune with the truth of the world, a predator, and thus he was beyond trust. Luned wasn’t safe.

The brute considered his shoulder, and figured he was already dead. It was an ignoble end, but he wasn’t surprised at it. Death was either fast or slow, but he always knew it wouldn’t be peaceful or comfortable – why should it be any different from his life?

Luned returned in a flurry of motion, forcing a cup into his hand with a command to drink, and then she rushed all over the room digging through who-knows-what to find who-cares. Flint drank slowly, and it felt as if his throat was trying to close up to deny the water. He decided he was definitely dying.

He was halfway through the cup before he realized they were looking at him. He glanced between them and lowered the cup. Aurelianus looked ready to cut his throat and be done with the dead weight, but it was the concern in Luned’s eyes that bothered him more. He tried to growl, but what came out was more a lame, annoyed moan, and that was even more infuriating.

“I’m not going,” he said.

“I know you’re tired,” Luned said, “but Swanra’ann’s men might come back.”

“No,” he said. “They have what they want. Go back to your contact. Tell him you still want to buy. They’ll bring the Swaysong to you. It’s over.”

“What about Ezura? What about Helethra?”

“Already dead,” Flint said. “Forget about them.”

Luned’s brow furrowed. “I don’t believe that. We can set this right.”

“No,” Flint said. He looked past her to Aurelianus. “They won’t sell you the Swaysong. You know that. You need her. Alive.”

Aurelianus gave him a shrug that said we’ll see. Flint knew that was the best he was going to get.

“You don’t have to come,” Luned said. She had that resolve in her eyes again, the same look she got before she went into the sewers. “I’m going to fix this, with or without you.”

“Without,” Flint said.

“Fine.”

She left, and Aurelianus looked at him sidelong for a moment thinking unknowable thoughts before following her out. Flint sighed, relieved, and pressed his cheek against the cool surface of the wall.

He could tolerate being weak, but not with them watching.

----

It felt like he’d been walking for days, but Flint was only a few blocks from the museum when they caught up to him.

“Took you long enough,” he muttered.

“You’re leavin’ a trail.”

Flint turned around slowly to look. Sure enough, he’d been dragging his shoulder along the bricks, leaving a long line of blood. They may have been commenting on the pools of vomit he was leaving every fifty paces, too. Hard to say.

“She’s got what she wants,” he said.

“Yep. When has that ever mattered?”

“Never,” he admitted.

“Gonna fight?”

“No,” he said. “Might puke on you.”

“It’ll go easier on you if you don’t.”

“No it won’t.”

---

There was a place beyond the poorest quarter of Ettermire, where the factories exhaled the blackest smoke and belched fire. This was the tannery, a dozen sprawling structures densely packed and forsaken by all but the most desperate. The smog never thinned here, trapped in a rocky basin and by the shape of the surrounding warehouses, and so it never even experienced the off-color daylight the rest of the city got. No one spoke here, or laughed, or shouted, and there were no children to run or play in the puddles. Mothers cried in alleys over their stillborn, and men kept their heads down and lived mechanical lives: wake, eat, work, sleep, repeat.

Train cars arrived in the tannery every day, nine cars full of skins dried stiff with gore and dirt and other unsavory things, and a tenth car full of food for the workers, who ate before they unloaded. Tremendous vats surrounded the factories: vats where new skins were soaked in stale rainwater to soften them, vats full of urine and salt and lime to remove hair and fur, vats full of water and dung to make the hides supple, and heated vats where strips of hide were allowed to putrefy and become glue. Gangs of workers scraped and hammered rotting flesh and fat from the hides, or marched barefoot in dreary circles inside containers of animal brains and blood to soften the toughest hides. Hundreds of women lined tremendous benches inside the factories, where they worked in silence, cutting leather and creating all the fine Aleraran goods known across the north: boots and harnesses, luxurious handbags, scabbards, and straps of all sorts.

The tannery of Ettermire was the darkest malodorous hell on civilized Althanas, so of course that’s where Swanra’ann lived.

----

Flint was considering the quality of Aleraran leatherwork now, all in an effort to avoid breathing, looking around, or feeling. Indeed, he was hanging from a pipe overhead, suspended by a leather strap that would most certainly never break. His feet were a full foot off the floor, and his ankles were tied together by another leather strip, which was itself tied to a cinderblock. That had been overkill, because he didn’t have it in him to kick. They assured him that he would change his mind.

They’d taken everything but his skivvies from him, including his bandages. His shoulder oozed blood and pus, but they hadn’t cared about that. Flint was trying not to think about it, but it wasn’t going well.

The pair of dark elves that picked him up entered the room now, chatting. The room was dark and cramped – rusty sheet metal walls stained with blood near the floor, which was naked concrete. Two pipes ran along the ceiling parallel to one another. Flint was hanging from one, and he could see a silhouette in the dark hanging from the other. There was a metal table in the center of the room, covered in bloodstained cutting tools beside a single oil lamp – the sole source of light.

“Hey buddy,” one of the elves said. “How’s the shoulder?”

“Fine,” Flint said.

“That’s good; we’re supposed to make sure you’re comfy. The Queen’s on her way.”

Flint felt his face droop despite himself.

“Oh-ho! You didn’t know. Yeah, you’ve been a bit of a thorn the last couple of days buddy. She’s had us standing around the train depots, the inns, the flophouses, fucking everywhere looking for you and that damn box. And then we start hearin’ about this freak animal tearing out of the museum out there, and somehow Swanra’ann knew that’s where we’d find everything all neat together. Guess that’s why she’s running the show.”

“What did you do with her?” Flint said.

“Who?”

“Ezura,” he said. “The thief.”

“Ah, yeah. Ha, this’ll piss you off. She’s locked up not two doors down, hale and healthy. The Queen’s real curious how she makes monsters, wants to keep her breathing. Ain't that a bitch? She fucks you over and gets a job, you get…well.”

“Did you show him?” the second elf said.

“Oh, no, not yet. Hang on, turn the light up.”

They turned the lamp up, and the first elf dragged the hanging silhouette across the pipe and into the light. Flint braced himself, but still winced when the elf stepped aside.

“Yeah, it ain’t pretty. You probably can’t tell from over there, but he don’t smell too good either. Picked him up on the first night.”

Flint raised his eyebrows, and looked closer. It was a corpse so ill-treated that it seemed to be dried blood in the diminished shape of a man, and the shape was familiar: Gareath. Flint examined the corpse’s wounds, and felt his heart beginning to hammer in his chest. Swanra’ann had many nicknames, most unflattering, but only one of those names was spoken in hushed whispers.

Sometimes they called her Skinner.

“Yeah, I think he gets it.”

Flint didn’t feel ill anymore. Adrenaline and fear surged, and he tensed his arms and ignored the flare of agony from his shoulder. He lifted himself and roared, and then he dropped, struggling to yank the pipe free of its moorings. It didn’t budge a millimeter.

“Good luck with that.”

“Get on with it,” Flint growled.

“What’re you in such a rush for, buddy?”

“It’s hot in here, under all this skin.”

“Well, you hang tight,” the elf said. “She’s called dibs on you, buddy. Said something about doing the job right. Congrats, you’re going to be a nice white dress.”
    Last edited by Warpath; 01-20-13 at 10:06 PM.

Your Flesh, My Canvas
    EXP: 25,718, Level: 6
    Level completed: 82%, EXP required for next level: 1,282
    Level completed: 82%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,282
    GP

Name
    Aurelianus Drak'shal
    Race
    Tiefling
    Hair Color
    Dark red quills
    Eye Color
    Black sclera, with yellow irises and slit pupils
    Build
    5' 9'' 152 lbs
    Job
    Warlock, Soul Broker, Anarchist, Planewalker, Fleshcrafter

View Profile
    Aurelius, his rage expended momentarily with the destruction of the laboratory, paced back and forth, his thoughts churning like a tempest in his brain-box. The warlock had, before last night, never heard of Swaysong, but now it was all he could focus on. The more of the chit's story he heard, the more he was sure the Swaysong was going to be his, and sod anyone who stood in his way. And the fact Swanra'ann had beaten him to it left a bruise on his ego.

Aurelianus didn't like it when people hurt his pride. Bodies had died for less. It don't matter 'ow well-lanned or high-up this chit is, I'm goin' to rip 'er pikin' soul out and rape 'er with it!

But, he managed to keep relatively calm while Luned hunted upstairs for whatever she was looking for. To pass the time, he toyed with the idea of just offing Flint while she was away; scanning the cutter over, it didn't look like he would make it through the night anyway, fever sweat breaking on his brow, skin as unhealthy a pallour as Aurelius' own, his eyes unfocused. It'd be so eeeeaaasssy, a sibilant voice whispered in the back of his mind, and he realised he was stroking the hilt of his knife, feeling the rough demon-skin that wrapped the grip. He could tell by the way Flint watched him that he knew the truth- Drak'shal would gladly kill both of them as soon as look at them. The stocky man knew enough not to trust the tiefling.

Even as he was licking his lips, imagining the taste of the man's suffering, Luned returned in a tizzy, fussing over the bald basher with a tin mug of cold water. A drink ain't gonna save the sod, he mused, imagining just what kind of foul diseases he must have picked up in the dank, filthy sewers. She proceeded to ransack the rest of the room, the pain from her bandaged wounds obviously forgotten in her inexplicable excitement. 'as she found somethin' upstairs? Maybe, but she's canny enough not to tell me, he thought, serpent eyes narrowing as he scanned her flitting around the destroyed room.

There was a slight change in the atmosphere, as both Aurelianus and Luned turned to regard Flint at the same time- the berk obviously knew what Aurelius was thinking. The guttersnipe made no effort to hide the relish he felt, as he imagined penning the cutter in the dead-book, nice and slow...

**“I’m not going,”**

The half-breed glanced sidelong at Luned, expecting some form of protest. She evidently held that her and her minder were "friends", but the Anarchist knew Flint was more pragmatic, like him- people were handy things to have around, useful at times, but never make the mistake of trusting them too much.

**“I know you’re tired, but Swanra’ann’s men might come back.”**

Luned's reply brought a ferocious shark-grin to the tiefling's face; he was keeping a lid on it for now, but he desperately needed to hurt something- if he didn't find any other suitable subjects soon, he would follow through with the dark fantasies her screams had awoken in him earlier. As much as that thought excited his lusts, Aurelius wanted to make that last, so for now he required something more brutal.. more visceral. Swanra'ann's thugs would be the perfect way to vent his frustrations.

He paid scant attention while the pair of them had their little argument- still silently raging over the loss of the Swaysong- until the half-dead cutter turned his way, looking up from the floor.

**“They won’t sell you the Swaysong. You know that. You need her. Alive.”**

Aurelius smirked to himself, eyes glinting with all sorts of depraved ideas, but he gave a casual shrug in response. Inside was a different story though; Drak'shal was fuming because the sod was right, and he knew it. If he didn't keep Luned breathing, he'd lose his only chance of getting his hands on the unique substance. The fact he knew he couldn't hurt her in any way just made him want to all the more. His fingers caressed the coarse demon-hide grip of his Baatorian knives, letting his mind wander through every little avenue of cruelty his twisted imagination could come up with. He could feel his control slipping and while he was keeping his anger in check for the moment, albeit barely, it would need an outlet soon.

When Luned and Flint finally decided they were going their separate ways, it didn't bother Aurelius in the slightest. In fact, leaving Flint behind would make it all the easier to knife the chit when the time came, and claim the Swaysong for himself. Really, they're just makin' it easier and easier, he thought, and if he wasn't so pissed off at the whole situation, he would've had a quiet chuckle over it all. He looked at Flint, cold snake-eyes betraying nothing of his thoughts.

He followed Luned out the door, seeing the chit's slender frame storming away with a sort of grim determination in her stride. He jogged slowly to catch up, eyes roaming over her slender form with a dark hunger.. soon, the voice promised. He matched pace with her, before he realised he was drawing one of his knives. No, behave yourself! he mentally chided himself, forcing down the urge to gut her here and now only by forcing iron bands of self-control around his murderous needs. Falling behind a few paces, he knew what he had to do. He whistled sharply, fingers in his mouth, before calling ahead to the chit.

"Back in a second, luv. Forgot somethin' at the museum," he said, keeping his voice neutral, nodding in the direction of the building they'd just vacated. "You go on ahead, I'll catch up."

She nodded, and he took off back to the forboding silhouette, stark black against the dim night.

When he entered back in the door, Flint was still there, trying to get to his feet. Aurelius stalked closer silently, debating whether or not to just stick a chiv in the berk and be done with it. But, he figured the bloke would be dead soon enough anyway, so why bother? Let him suffer just that little bit longer. He ceased any pretense of stealth, boots crunching the broken glass as he walked over to the short, bearded basher. Reaching down, he hooked a hand under each of Flint's arms, dragging him to his feet and propping him against the wall.

Seeing the look of peery mistrust in his eyes, Aurelianus sneered. "Don't worry, mate. I ain't 'ere to finish you off." He smirked, nodding to the blood and pus already visibly soaking through his bandages. "I figure the rat-thing saw to that already."

His eyes flashed, and he summoned a ball of Hellfire in his palm, before turning away from Flint. He growled deep in the back of his throat, seeing nothing else in this place than the fact he was outsmarted by some two-bit bitch, this so-called Queen of The Pit. The half-breed had seen the true Pit, and nothing in this world could ever be anything more than a pale imitation of that horror incarnate.

With a wordless snarl of rage, he hurled the fireball, the black liquid flame instantly igniting the chemicals and detritus strewn haphazardly over the interior of the lab. The Hellfire climbed higher, while Aurelius hurled more across the ceiling, the walls, and anywhere else he could. In moments, the room was roaring with black fire, simultaneously giving off and absorbing the light in the room. It was.. disorientating, to say the least.

He turned to Flint, casually running a fingertip over his horns, each about the length of a finger, and razor-pointed. Silhouetted by the raging Hellfire, he could only imagine what he looked like to the human.

"I'd clear out of 'ere right quick, if I were you cutter," he winked. Flint headed out the door as quick as his injuries would allow, and the warlock made to follow him before something on the floor caught his eye. It was misshapen, evidently trod on by Luned or Flint when they entered- an elf foetus of all things. Smirking, Aurelius recalled an incantation he had picked up years back, but never had an opportunity to test out. He took a sheet of supple leather from the satchel hanging at his hip, deftly wrapping the little lump of flesh before he made his exit.

He was just tucking it into the satchel when he caught up with Luned, the museum already visibly burning against the skyline, black flame licking at every inch of the wood and stone.

He saw her look of worry, and chuckled. "Don't worry, luv. Your boy-toy made it out 'fore I torched the place." He lit a cigarette with another small burst of fire from his fingertip as he walked on, gesturing for Luned to follow. They didn't know exactly where Swanra'ann called kip, but the Anarchist had an idea where to start looking, and who to ask.

"y'know, it's amazin' how much better that made me feel," he chuckled, hearing the shouts of alarm start to ring out into the night as people watched the museum burn in an unholy blaze.
    Last edited by Aurelianus Drak'shal; 01-28-13 at 12:02 PM.
    "My talent's for lying. For sticking the knife in when people least expect it. Then walking away with a smile and a wave before they even realize they're bleeding."
    - John Constantine

"Self-control is for those who can't control others."
    - Gavin Guile

"There are two secrets to becoming great. One is never to reveal all that you know."
    - Anon.

Wayward Scribe
    EXP: 24,427, Level: 6
    Level completed: 64%, EXP required for next level: 2,573
    Level completed: 64%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,573
    GP

Name
    Luned Bleddyn
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Chestnut
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'4"/Average
    Job
    Chronicler

View Profile
    Aurelianus' sudden change in mood would have been disturbing, considering his most recent emotional outlet, but the scribe only had to reassure herself that once she had the Swaysong, she could effectively protect herself from him. This thought was interrupted in sharp panic as she realized that she really was terrified of being alone with this man, but Luned also couldn't help but acknowledge the fact that he was likely one of the best people to have at her side going into Swanra'ann's. Logically, it would seem that the client would fall under some rules of protection, but little by little the young woman was losing what was left of her wide-eyed naivete and, with that, the ability to trust anyone. Still, she wasn't cutthroat enough to survive a mess with the Queen of the Pit if one arose, but Aurelianus might, and that was comforting in an uneasy sort of way that let her put off concerns about being left to bleed out in a gutter somewhere… or worse.

Speaking of gutters, the mental image of herself laying despondent in one was involuntarily replaced by Flint, and it took every ounce of will not to go look for him right then and there. He was smart, he'd figure out what to do, and while her trust in Aurelianus was nearly nonexistent, she hoped he'd at least proudly own up to murdering someone if he did so. That, and if she was still worried after everything else happened, she could go looking for Flint on her way to meet Ags. You know, just in case…

"We know where this chit calls kip?" Aurelianus asked, his voice dry as he spoke through a puff of cigarette smoke. He was awfully cheery about the whole thing and she couldn't help but grimace in response.

"No, but I imagine it's not difficult to figure out," Luned said, focusing on the road.

He noticed she was avoiding eye contact, found it amusing, and smirked. "I know a few cutters might lann us to the dark of it. We'll call in, see what the chant is––"

The scribe's response was quick, blunt, and surprisingly authoritative. "No. We're doing this my way." The first thing that came to her mind when he mentioned friends was that brothel from the night before, and that was the last place she wanted to take this romantic stroll of theirs. She didn't want to know what sort of people this Aurelianus guy consorted with, and she wasn't going to purposefully put herself in an even more compromising position by following him into whatever hellhole he had in mind.

Gravebeard's shopfront was dark, a closed sign placed prominently behind the glass in the door, but the duo discovered the entrance unlocked and let themselves in. The bell jingled just as it had yesterday, elaborate contraption carrying the alarm to unseen parts of the building, and there was the muffled sound of footsteps somewhere down the hall behind the workbench. Luned could tell from the thump of the lopsided gait that it was the old dwarf, and from how rushed it was, he hadn't expected visitors.

Aurelianus admired the shoes on display without much interest, serpentine eyes flitting around the shop without focus. The cobbler's fine craftsmanship was evident even under the shadowy obscurity of dusk, varieties of kicks lined perfectly on display along shelves, the painstakingly precise details testament to his skill. He used only the best materials and, of course, his source for high-quality leather was the one and only Skinner.

A door opened down the hall and the glow of a lantern emerged, carried by a hobbling, salt and pepper-bearded dwarf. "You," he glared accusingly at Luned as she came into sight. "Get out of here." As he neared, it became apparent that his limp was far worse than the day before, and a ripe new shiner on his left eye swelled a painful black and blue in the low lighting. Swanra'ann must have had a word with him before they finally caught Ezura, as anyone with access to that part of the sewers was likely suspect for contribution to the heist, whether purposefully or through negligence.

"We're not here to cause trouble," the scribe said, stepping up to the workbench where the old dwarf set down his lantern. It seemed there was something wrong with his left arm, too, as it nearly buckled under the weight of the object.

Gravebeard growled back, enough vindication in his gravely voice to compensate for its low volume. "You already have, lass. The Queen's got her eye on you. Thought you were the thief at first, sent her lackeys in here, tearing things up. Didn't believe me that you were just some stupid kid. If she was really after you, you'd already be in the midst of processing for my next shipment of raw materials. Best get out of dodge before she changes her mind."

This churned Luned's stomach as she wondered just how many children wearing his elegantly embroidered slippers with vibrant posies on their toes knew exactly what species of living creature provided the hide that covered their feet. "Actually, we were hoping you'd direct us to her. I'd like to have a word."

The old dwarf shifted his weight and leaned against the workbench, bracing himself with his right hand. It was heavily bandaged, splints wrapped in between his last three digits. Breaking the fingers of an artist was some of the heaviest punishment one could give, worse than cracking ribs, or shattering legs, or anything, to the point that it felt taboo. Luned visibly cringed, feeling woozy, likely from a combination of sympathy pain and blood loss. Gravebeard groaned as he straightened his back again, but then slumped back heavily against the table. "Buffoons," he grumbled.

Aurelianus, exasperated, let out a gratuitous sigh that served as warning to Luned that he was about to turn the mood of this floundering conversation. She spoke up, the volume of her voice likely louder than necessary in an effort to drown out whatever violent thoughts were leaking into that perverse brain-box of his. "Just tell us," she exclaimed, "Please. Then we'll leave."

With a tired shrug, Gravebeard relented. "Suit yourself. The tannery's hard to miss, once you get far out enough in the industrial quarter. Take the main drag through the slums to the very end, it's in that last cluster of factories. You'll know which by the stench."

The walk took an age in itself. Luned had been able to work through the soreness of her wounds with enough distraction, but after over an hour of dragging her sorry ass through the ghetto of Ettermire alongside a man who could easily change his goals at any point, she was exhausted and skittish. Her stitches raged, hot with pain and impossibly itchy, and she was too afraid to check them for signs of infection. She didn't want to know.

The final line of industry at the edge of the city loomed ominously dark and high within its rocky cradle, chimneys pouring never-ending black smoke into the sky like fountains, where the smog pooled and seemed to rain back down in a gloomy fog. The pair of intruders, equally mussed as the workers from their sewer adventure, passed uninhibited through the streets that networked the clump of warehouses and factories. And, as Gravebeard accurately predicted, they knew the tannery from the stench, a combination of rotting flesh and lethal chemicals that burned their sinuses just enough to suppress the trigger of their gag reflexes. They wove between groups of toiling elves where, in a place where little natural light fell, there was no obvious difference in day from night, and as soon as the main group of workers went home for a few precious hours of sleep, a new one emerged to tend to the daily batch of marinating flesh in each of the great vats. The area was strangely void of conversation one would expect from such large groups of people, the white noise of incessant labor and machinery filling the air to the brim with tension and giving a strange sense of consistent calm that was only occasionally interrupted by a coarsely shouted order from an overseer.

The plan had been difficult to formulate, something which Luned had intended to do with their walk, but it was impossible to fully concentrate with such aggravated injuries. At this point all she had was something half-baked, but it would have to do; she had her secondary intent in coming to Swanra'ann's lair and it was probably best to investigate that problem before they announced their presence.

"Listen," Luned said to Aurelianus, keeping her voice down as she pulled him off to the side. She didn't want their use of another language to tip off the Aleran-speaking workers around them, and against the crook of a couple structures she hoped they'd go unnoticed. They were close to what she suspected was the tannery's main building, the largest of the several and most hospitable-seeming, though it was a stretch to call it a cozy home of any sort. It served its purpose well as an imposing fortress for one of Ettermire's most feared villains. "I have something I need to do. Could you just wait here? I'll be as quick as I can, I just want to scout things out." As she made her request she rummaged in her pockets, found her fountain pen and little red book, and began flipping through the pages.

"Aye, luv, I'll park my arse 'ere and try to blend in," the half-demon sneered sarcastically, gesturing to his demonic features. But, after a moment, he sparked up another cigarette, glancing at the chit. "Well, what you waitin' for? A pikin' invitation? Get goin'."

Luned nodded and looked back down to what she was doing, turning this strange situation into an impromptu study session. When she found the correct page in her book, a miniature tome stuffed with scraps of paper covered in notes, she began scribbling something directly onto the bare skin of her pale arm. It was difficult to make out the text she was copying in the dingy light of the street lamps but it was apparently written clearly enough, as the effects of the spell began to show as soon as Luned capped her pen. Her entire body, clothes and possessions with it, began to fade, first becoming specter-like to reveal the texture of the bricks behind her, and then she disappeared from sight entirely. This trick hadn't been a viable option for the sewers, being merely temporary, and it wasn't worth hinging her life on whatever illusions she could conjure against mutant creatures with other senses that were likely strong enough to more than compensate, thanks to their nocturnal habits. But here, in an environment that somehow, perhaps in a delusional way, felt more controlled, it was worth a shot. And, to her great relief, it seemed to be working.

With one more harshly whispered command to the tiefling telling him to wait right there, Luned took off toward the putrid fortress. It was a strange sensation, invisibility; as the scribe darted between people on the street she found it difficult to weave as efficiently as she'd like, the other pedestrians unable to adjust their paths to accommodate her as she passed. One elf moved unpredictably and she bumped into him, but he was so weary from long hours of back-breaking work that he barely reacted and simply flinched, then continued on his way. Even more than ever, Luned was spooked by every set of eyes that drifted over her, and as she slipped through the grand entrance of the large building between some laborers, her heart was pounding in her ears.

She was in, but where to look? Her intent was really only to do one thing, which was to find Ezura and use whatever information she could gather to formulate a better escape plan than "ask Swanra'ann nicely". It was the best she could come up with on that torturous journey from Gravebeard's, but something told her that wouldn't fly.

The main hall was bleak but fairly well-lit, the tall brick walls bare and coated in grime that drifted in with the fog off the street. Lights studded the ceiling and workers moved freely in and out of the several open passages that led off the main entry, heads kept down as they continued about their jobs in an oppressed, zombie-like fashion. The only individuals with any confidence were the guards, better-dressed dark elves who appeared as bored as the laborers were broken, and they lounged against the walls and conversed in voices low enough that they wouldn't carry through the cavernous hall.

Luned was at a loss of where to begin and, in her distraction, almost allowed someone to bump into her as they entered the building, but she stepped aside just in time to avoid that disruption to her mission. It was an elf bedecked in fine leather clothing, cut like a uniform, and as he walked with explicit purpose down the passage to the left, the guards straightened their postures and nodded with respect. Bingo.

The scribe tailed him as he walked down that hallway and turned into another. Eventually he disappeared into a room and locked it behind him, leaving Luned at a loss, so she began checking the other doors. There were stairs, cluttered offices that seemed to be storage more than usable workspace, a couple closets filled with boxes, and more locked doors than not. One of the rooms was occupied by an elf, her form hunched over a desk and piles of paperwork, likely doing the bookkeeping; she was so engrossed in her work that she didn't look up when Luned peeked in, and the scribe was lucky to pass on unnoticed.

When she finished scouring that hall to no avail, Luned sighed in defeat. Just as she was looking for another passage to check, however, two of the better-dressed guards entered the hall and took the stairs. At a loss of what else to do, she followed.

They descended two flights, and as they went deeper underground, the chemical-laced odor in the air gave way to something purely rotten, like an untended butcher shop. Flies crawled the walls and Luned swatted them away, hoping they wouldn't give away her position as she tailed the elves. The cramped corridor they entered consisted of bare brick, just as the upper levels, but the ground was covered in a different kind of filth that made her wonder if it was tiled underneath or if this was the bottommost level and opened up to the earth below. The doors were all very heavy-looking, solid and dungeon-like slabs of wood, and all were bolted with wide bars from the outside, a strange setup considering what she'd seen in the past before as examples of holding cells.

One of the guards joked about something and the other laughed, just as they halted to open one of the doors. Luned crept up behind them as close as she dared and, as they stepped in, she peered in past them.

It was a small room, the walls covered in sheet metal that was rusting away in parts, and a shadowy figure hung from the ceiling in the shadows, just out of sight. It was difficult to make out what else was in there while she instinctively tried to remain hidden in spite of her advantage, catching only a glimpse of a metal table laid out with tools and a lantern, and one more figure that disappeared as the door was pushed closed. Luned propped her foot in the door to keep it from closing completely behind the guards, and she listened in on their conversation with their prisoner.

To her horror, the voice that answered back was Flint's. Luned withdrew, the door shut in her face, and her mind raced as her hand drifted instinctually to her pocket where she kept Ezura's leftover smoke bombs. It could risk everything she was there for to help him now, but how could she possibly wait? If there was ever a time to rush into something, this was likely it. The thought of someone buying him as shoes in Gravebeard's shop was unacceptable.

Luned checked the cell next door and found it vacant save some meat hooks hanging from the ceiling pipes, another table, a couple crates, and at least several men's worth of oxidized blood crusted to the metal-tiled floor. It really was a butcher shop down there. She felt up her pockets, found the gas mask she'd borrowed from the museum, and put it on, extracting one of Ezura's vials simultaneously.

Flint's small talk with the guards was interrupted when Luned cracked open the door, cursed audibly in Aleran as if she'd made a grave mistake, and slammed it. This was enough to get the elves' attention and they brushed off their hanging captive to step out into the hall. From the passage, Luned snapped the second room's door closed as if someone had run in there to hide, and the guards fell for it hook, line, and sinker. As they entered and moved the door to check behind it, she threw in the vial, heard it shatter on the ground, and immediately pulled the door shut where she threw the bolt in place. There were some vague sounds of confusion, then dead silence.

Meanwhile, Flint continued to hang, awaiting his death with the unhappiness typically befitting someone looking forward to being skinned alive. When the door creaked open again mere seconds later he nearly jolted out of his skin prematurely at the sound, but when it closed again with no one entering, he visibly relaxed. His abused form hung slack from the pipe, hopeless and uncharacteristically vulnerable.

"Flint," Luned whispered as she approached him, aware that her current state would take some explaining, lest he think she'd died and returned in ghost form or something. "Now, don't freak out, but it's me, you just can't see me. I'm going to help you, okay? So just relax, I'm right here." She reached out tentatively, her warm hand meeting the fevered flesh of his leg in an attempt to comfort him.
    Last edited by Luned; 01-27-13 at 02:41 PM.
    • • • art

GP

Name
    Flint Skovik
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6'4"/330 lbs

View Profile
    Flint’s mind raced: a fever-heated bottle full of fear and desperation. He wanted so badly not to be here when Swanra’ann came, he willed himself to be anywhere else, to be strong enough to snap the leather straps, to know what to say to talk his way out. But he was not strong enough, and there were no words or facts to save him, and that was where he was. He was going to die in a bloody, unpleasant fashion, and no one would hear him scream and care. Nobody would know.

He wondered if Luned would wonder. Surely she would wonder, but would she look for him? Would she think to ask, or would she assume him dead or gone forever, another thug drunk in a corner or dead in an alley? Part of him hoped she thought better of him, and part of him was deeply afraid she would ask the wrong people. No, he decided. He hoped she did not look for him, that she never heard the name Swanra’ann again, and that his name and face would fade from her memory except for times decades into the future when she would look back and reminisce, and perhaps think him a dream. Just a facet in a nightmare she had when she was a girl wasting her youth on silly things.

The door began to open and his heart stopped, but then it closed again. He waited tensely for a moment, listening hard. Was Swanra’ann outside, giving orders? Would she gloat before she began to murder him? Was this it? When nothing happened he relaxed in degrees, and let himself breathe.

“Flint.”

And now he was hallucinating voices, or was he hearing Swanra’ann speaking from outside? The colors of the room became supersaturated as adrenaline flooded his system, every natural fiber screaming for him to fight or run. The animal part of him was so dominant that it took a moment for him to realize somebody was talking to him.

“Luned?”

Something touched his leg, and he flinched. “I can’t see you,” he said dumbly. Of course she’d just said that, but the touch wasn’t enough – death was breathing down his neck and hope seemed so distantly impossible, he could not conceive of salvation.

“I’m here,” she said again. “Hang on; I’m going to get you down.”

Oh gods thank you thank you thank you thank you, his mind said, and he felt tears burning the corners of his eyes. They were indiscernible amongst the sweat, he told himself, and he blinked them away. He hardened his face and grunted. Only when his emotions were fully in check did he speak. “Hurry.”

She freed his ankles first. He could feel her hands working, and he saw the straps loosening, but there was no visible sign of her whatsoever – no ripple in the air, no subtle blur. Some lingering doubt remained in the back of his mind, was this some cruel trick? But then the straps fell away, and then he felt nearby body heat. She must have been standing on the cinderblock.

“Can you lift yourself a little?”

He twisted the wrist of his good arm around the strap holding him up and pulled as much as he could, and then the strap came loose and he dropped to his feet. His legs almost failed him, causing him to grunt and stumble, but unseen hands fell on his unharmed shoulder and steadied him.

“How…?”

“I’ll tell you later,” she whispered. “Have you seen Ezura?”

He was confused for a moment. Between the fever, the adrenaline, and the absolute unlikelihood of his rescue, nothing made sense. Who was Ezura? And then of course, Ezura!

“No,” he said. Then: “Yes. I know where she is.”

Silence.

“Flint, where is she?”

“She’s just…”

He paused.

“Flint? Hey, you okay?”

He thought back, remembering. He’d been so out of it when they dragged him in, but he remembered…

“She’s somewhere upstairs,” he said.

There was a long silence. Had he remembered wrong, imagined the stairs?

“Okay,” her voice came again. “Okay you stay here, I’m going to hurry. I’ll find Ezura, and I’m going to figure out a way to get you both out. I took care of the guards, so you’ll be safest in here. I’ll come back for you.”

“I know,” he said, and then he wasn’t sure why.

“I’m going now. Stay here.”

The door opened and closed again, and Flint waited, listening to be sure.

“Luned?” he whispered.

Nobody answered.

----

The door was locked from the outside, so there hadn’t been a reason for them to guard her. Ezura was where the guards said she’d be, not two doors down from where Flint was meant to die. If not for Luned, she would have been listening to his screams tonight.

When he opened the door, he found her sitting in an old but posh chair, reading. Hers was a cell, but wholly unlike Flint’s. She had bookshelves, and a bed, and lanterns hanging from poles in the corners. There was a table strewn with papers in the center of the room, and a pedestal next to the door. On it sat a familiar crate sitting open to reveal a handful of vials. They looked to be full of water.

Ezura dropped her book when she recognized him, and moved cautiously to her feet. He’d found his oversized pants, but his torso was naked. It would have hurt too much to wear the jacket over his wound, and he couldn’t do the bandages himself. He stood with his arm cradled to his stomach, his shoulder leaking blood and something sickly yellow.

He pointed at the table, and said, “Sit.”

She kept her eyes on him, and didn’t blink as she moved to the center of the room. When she sat down, she did so on the edge of the seat with her back straight, and she put her hands on the edge of the table. Flint closed the door behind him and picked up the Swaysong, and then he crossed the room and put the crate down. He sat across from Ezura, leaned forward, and rested his forearms on the table. He did not wince when his shoulder screamed at him and sent a thin freshet of blood rolling downward over his skin.

“You recognize me,” he said.

“Yes,” she said diplomatically, “from the museum. A Mr. Flint I believe.”

He stared. She tried to match his gaze, but she began to quiver, and then she blinked and looked to the side.

“I didn’t mean for any of this to happen,” she said, and then she chewed on her lip. She tried to look at his eyes, but her gaze immediately dropped again. “My little girl is sick.”

“You made her so.”

No I didn’t,” Ezura snapped, her anger making eye contact possible again. “No I didn’t. Everything I did, I did for her.”

To her,” Flint said, waving at the crate beside him, “with this.”

“I was trying to cure her. I was saving her from what this city did to her.”

“What ailment were you curing?”

“You saw the growths on her face, but you didn’t see her feet, or her legs. You didn’t see me give birth to an infant with knots for toes, or watch shingles cover her legs, or have to think of some way to answer when she wanted to know why the doctors didn’t want to touch her and why her father left and why she couldn’t play with the other children and why we had to move into the museum because our neighbors thought she was infectious and…”

“Was it painful, her growths?”

Ezura stared.

“I saw her run. She pushed me, and she was strong. Steady. A good child, but unsure, the way they are when the adults around them have failed them.”

“How dare…”

He felt his eyes change, and could not know what she saw in them, but it was sufficient to silence her midsentence.

“It seems to me that a parent's job is simple. You choose someone who makes you the best you can be, and together you create a life that is more than the sum of those that contributed to its creation. You provide your shoulders to stand upon, and thus your offspring is stronger than you - better. Every one of us does this, and the world becomes a better place. Society grows stronger.”

Flint took a moment to look around the room.

"But you didn't do that. You didn't try to create something better than you. In fact, in fearing your own weakness you tried to recreate yourself so that when your daughter was born so clearly different than you, you sought to remake her. In your fear, you killed someone better than you.”

“I didn’t kill her,” Ezura hissed. “I’m saving her.”

“She has claws now,” Flint said by way of allowance, “but she’s also dying. You didn’t cure her. You turned her into something unlike herself, and you killed her.”

“This city…”

“Ah, yes,” Flint said. “The city. The city full of people who have died because of your experiments, crawling up out of the underground. How many children your daughter’s age have died, food for some monster you created?”

Ezura made her face stone, but tears began to rush down her cheeks.

“It wasn’t pollution that made them,” Flint said. “It was you.”

“No it wasn’t,” Ezura said, her voice hoarse. “I didn’t do that. I didn’t…”

Flint narrowed his eyes slowly.

“I don’t know how it…” Ezura looked at the Swaysong, shaking her head almost imperceptively. “I was just trying to save my daughter. I didn’t want to hurt anyone. I didn’t want any of this. I could have slit your throat down there when you were hypnotized by the smoke but I didn’t. I just needed the Swaysong, and that should have been the end of it. Why couldn’t you just accept the loss and go on with your lives? I just needed time to perfect the formula, to make her…”

“Strong?”

“What? No. No, I just wanted her to be…normal. That’s all.”

Flint reached into the crate and delicately selected one of the bottles, and then set it down on the table between them. Ezura glanced down at it, and then back up at him. His eyes locked on hers with such inhuman intensity, such cold, frozen ferocity that she was transfixed. She wanted to push the table into him, knowing all too well what was to come next, but her body would not obey.

“Drink.”

“No,” she tried to say, but her voice wouldn’t come so she only mouthed the word, and a fresh gush of tears wetted her face.

Drink,” he said, raising his hand and pointing down at the vial.

A violent shiver ran through her and Ezura moaned, raising a quivering hand to her mouth. She inhaled to contain the fear, but when she exhaled it flowed out of her in a rush of panicked sobs. She lowered her hand to the table, and then she reached out and took the vial.

“Please,” she whispered.

His eyes moved pointedly from her face to the vial, and then back again, and hardened.

She opened the vial slowly, whispering prayers, and then she hesitated. She wanted to throw the vial, to run, to fight, but she looked at him with all the fear and hatred and desperate want her body could handle and then she tipped her head back and drained the vial in one gulp.

She did not see him twitch, or that fraction of a second when his hand slid forward involuntarily. He told himself that she’d failed Helethra, but he wouldn’t. He watched, fierce and unmoving.

Sweat beaded on her forehead in an instant, and then her body began to visibly tighten. She flexed her hands, and her biceps began to stand out against her skin. The muscles of her throat flexed, and hardened, and continued to harden. Her jaw set, and he could see her struggling to cry out but her mouth wouldn’t open, the muscles standing out like small fruits at the back corners of her cheeks. She tried to hold her palms open, but her fingers curled in. The sleeves of her shirt stretched, and split along the seams, and she began to curl up upon herself, moaning deep in her chest. She collapsed to the floor, and Flint moved smoothly to his feet and circled her as she lay dying.

Her body was a tight ball under the table now, her upper back standing out monstrous, her neck nearly as thick with muscle as Flint’s, the veins pushing out from the skin as they fervently pumped blood. It was as if she was trying to curl into herself beyond all physical possibility, and it occurred to Flint that she had lost control. Her body was tightening, every muscle growing but squeezing involuntarily. He heard dull pops and cracks, and took a step back. She was crushing her own bones.

She went still and exhaled.

It was only then that Flint turned, and saw that as Ezura fell she’d jostled the table. The crate of Swaysong had fallen to the floor, and every vial lay shattered on the darkened carpet.

He turned back to the corpse, and stood frozen, scarcely breathing.

I just murdered someone, he thought.

And no matter how absurd he knew it to be, he could not dismiss that thought.

I just murdered her.

“Flint?” Luned said.
    Last edited by Warpath; 01-27-13 at 02:39 AM.

Wayward Scribe
    GP

Name
    Luned Bleddyn
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Chestnut
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'4"/Average
    Job
    Chronicler

View Profile
    The scribe hadn't seen everything, but she'd seen enough. A rhetorical question escaped her lips before she even processed it, her breath heavy from rushing up and down the stairs to chase a lie. "Flint… what did you do?"

And, for the first time in his illustrious life, Flint Skovik felt like a murderer. He'd caused the deaths of countless people, most with his bare hands, but none of them had felt like victims. Distress was written all over his face, his usual stony composure broken down by fever and the surprise of being caught redhanded in the act. Flint was guilty. He lied to perhaps the one person in the world who would risk her own skin to save his, just to murder a mother whose only crime was loving her daughter too much while understanding her too little.

It was a good thing that he couldn't see Luned's expression in response and she was glad for it, embarrassed by the tears that she dashed out of the corners of her eyes with the heel of her palm. The invisible girl withdrew, hugging herself against the frame of the door, but her stare wasn't locked on the corpse this time. She couldn't look away from Flint, his struggle so apparent in his face and posture, and his distress was contagious. She was perfectly still and utterly quiet as she stood there in astonishment, and his fevered gaze couldn't focus well enough to pick out the small anomalies in the doorway that hinted at her lingering presence.

The man spoke up hesitantly, afraid that no one would respond. The room felt so empty all of a sudden. "Are you there?"

He was answered by a soft rustle of clothing. "I'm leaving. You can find your own way out." There was a brief silence, then something grasped Flint's wrist and raised his palm. In it, he felt her place an object. "You'll need these more than I will." When Luned drew away, the faint sensation of nearby body heat disappearing, the objects slowly faded in, gaining opacity until they were recognizable. It was the gas mask and, cradled in it, Ezura's last smoke bomb.

Flint steadied the items with his other hand, then picked up the vial to inspect it. He'd recognize that seal anywhere at this point. "Where are you going?"

"Back to the sewers." Her voice was soft and distant, as if she was already stepping out into the hallway.

He looked up, eyes frantically searching for some sign of the scribe to no avail. Even if she was visible, she was already gone, and he groaned under his breath, knowing he was in no position to stop her. "Damn it, Luned!"
    • • • art

Your Flesh, My Canvas
    GP

Name
    Aurelianus Drak'shal
    Race
    Tiefling
    Hair Color
    Dark red quills
    Eye Color
    Build
    5' 9'' 152 lbs
    Job

View Profile
    Aurelius had been uncharacteristically quiet for the last hour or two. To anyone who knew him, that was a bad sign- it meant he was thinking.

He hadn't uttered a word after Luned so forcefully refused to take his offer of help; he hadn't made a sound at the stunty's shoe-shop, merely deigning to give the chit a warning sigh before he lost patience and burned the place to the ground; he had stayed silent as he and his unlikely companion had trudged willingly into the hell of the Aleraran slums. The gears in his bone-box were turning in a frenzy.

The tiefling was plotting, trying to find a way to play all the angles..

.. and it was going perfectly.

He had barely noticed the stench of the tannery as Luned led him on. It wasn't until the chit had suddenly pulled him aside that Aurelius snapped out of his reverie; instantly his hand was coiled round the grip of his knife, eyes scanning his surroundings, darting between the various warehouses, chemical vats and shambling masses around them. It took a moment to register there was no threat, and Aurelius turned back to the pale chit, taking his hand off his weapon. His mind was still churning, turning over every aspect of this situation, seeking how to turn everything to his advantage, but he paid at least scant attention to the chit as she outlined her plan.

Aurelius, being his usual charming self, had told her exactly what she wanted to hear, but inside the pieces of the puzzle fell into place. Even as Aurelius watched, Luned pulled out the same book she had been looking at earlier, frantically searching for something. She found it and started writing on her arm, scratching out some odd, curving symbols on the pale flesh. But as soon as the brown-haired little scribe turned her attention away from the hive-ganger, his hand snaked out, snatching a small slip of paper from between the pages of Luned's book. He managed it without arousing her attention, secreting it in his palm. It wasn't difficult for someone who used to survive solely off what he could steal from others.

The tiefling was mildly surprised when, a few seconds after finishing her scribbles, Luned began to fade out of visibility. Her skin first, followed by her clothing and everything else. Shaking his red-quills out of his eyes and puffing away on his cigarette, he wondered how this would fit in to the plans bouncing around his brain-box. He could still smell the chit, the pure alcohol he had used to sterilise her wounds standing out to his heightened senses, even above the reek of the tannery; he prided himself on being a canny bastard, and knowing Luned and Flint were easier to track had put his mind at ease. Still, all he needed now was for Luned to head in to the main building, to leave him alone... her voice rasped out in a harsh whisper, ordering him to stay where he was until she returned, and the warlock smirked.

Pike that, you little leather'ead. I 'ave shit to do, he thought, while nodding his agreement.

He waited until the scent of bub receded before he raised the slip of paper to the gloomy lamplight- he had marked her toying with it earlier, and now, seeing the two different sets of handwriting on it, he knew it was something important to Luned. He could tell it was magical, his experience with these things giving him almost another sense. His curiosity piqued, the tiefling plucked one of his quills from his head, turning the little red-black spike in his fingers. He scratched out the words 'knock knock' on the little slip, marking the paper with his spidery writing.

A feral grin spread over his face as the reply 'who's there' appeared on the paper...

While Luned had her invisibility to obfuscate her entrance to the building, Aurelius had a much harder time.

He had to rely on good old-fashioned stealth. Luckily, the disgruntled and eerily silent mobs of workers paid scant attention to anything- not even the half-demon in their midst. He managed to slip past a mob of them as they entered the main doors of the building. The guards and overseers were too busy watching the crowds of broken workers as they shuffled into the reeking hell that was their existence.

Scratching idly at the raw flesh on his face, still painful from the fight with the roach what seemed like half a lifetime ago, Aurelius watched the door for a few minutes. But there were still too many scanning the crowds for him to get past that way.

So he headed around the perimeter, boots sloshing in the cloying muck, trying to stay out of sight of any of the guards; the darkness made it easier, and their custom-made leather armour made them stand out from the rest of the rabble in the area. The smell of misery, of fear.. of sheer desperation, was intoxicating; Aurelius found his respect for the chit who ran this place rise a fraction. At the same time, he saw the same thing he had seen in nearly every place he had ever stayed; a corrupt organisation, ruling with an iron fist for its own profit. The tiefling spat in disgust- he was an Anarchist, for pike's sake! His mission in life was to tear down established orders like this, to free the sorry sods crushed under their heels. While the warlock had no empathy for these scum, and no sympathy in his black heart, he believed that outfits like Swanra'ann's only had one goal in mind- to keep themselves powerful.

These sods, every last one of 'em, don't care 'bout the truth. Their high-ups all 'ave property, minders, jink, and influence. They're not lookin' for the truth; they just want to hang onto what they've got. Well, it's time for that to change. It's time to break the soddin' chains and seek the real truth. And that's only goin' to 'appen when a body's free of the bonds of wankers like this chit. A body's got to be able to make 'is own choices.

Aurelius shook himself out of his musings, instead focusing on turning his disgust and anger to the task at hand. He wasn't addle-coved enough to try and take Swanra'ann out himself, though- no, a body going up against an outfit like this on his own was only going to get himself penned in the dead-book. No, Aurelius was no berk- he was playing a much smarter game.

Still stalking around the outside of the main tannery, Drak'shal was hit by the smell of blood and rotting meat. His senses instantly on high-alert, the tiefling drew one of his knives, pressing himself against the wall. He edged closer to the corner of the building, the scent getting stronger with every step. Peeking round the corner, weapon held at the ready, he looked for a corpse, a blood-pool, anything that would explain the smell...

And he found what he was looking for.

There, emerging from the base of the wall, was a thick, rusted pipe. About three-feet across, the grating at the end was screeching on hinges that were more rust than metal. A steady flow of blood, black in the twilight, and other assorted viscera was pouring out into a shallow stone basin, running from the rotting reservoir into narrow culverts that led away into another warehouse. Aurelius didn't want to know what they would do with it in there, instead thanking the Powers that he finally had his way in.

The smell of death hung in a heavy miasma, but the tiefling regarded it like an old friend, as he waded shin deep in the blood and guts. Scanning the area one last time, he decided he didn't have any other options. If he was going to get everything to work out the way he wanted, he couldn't leave Luned to run amok within, and get herself killed. There was no guarantee this drainage tunnel would get him where he needed to be, but it was worth a try. Opening the grill, wincing as the rusty hinges cried out in protest, Aurelianus crouched down and entered the dark, stinking confines.

The drainage channel did in fact lead into the tannery. There were chutes and grates set up all over the building, all linked up in a complicated network. The workers would fill up buckets with the blood of animals skinned down on some of the main floors of the building, take them to the nearest chute in the wall, and empty them out before returning to repeat the tasks again.

One such worker, his name unknown, even to himself as he toiled away his life in the employ of the Pit Queen, was doing just that. He set down the heavy bucket, his malnourished limbs shaking with the effort, and raised a bony hand to the blood-soaked metal. He had barely managed to lift it open, leaning down to grab the bucket, when he heard the hiss.. Looking up, the elf saw none of the other workers had heard anything, still working away. Curiosity got the better of him, a tiny spark of individuality urging him to ignore his task for a second and investigate the noise. Sticking his head closer to the chute, the elf glanced inside, and started to scream in fear as he saw the glowing serpent's eyes staring back at him.

The scream never made it past his lips.

A hand shot out of the chute, grabbing the slave elf around his scrawny throat and dragging him in with one swift motion. There were a few brief, muffled sounds, followed by a wet gurgle, before something pulled itself out. It was soaked in deep red, dripping from it's hair, running down the blade of it's unsheathed knife, pooling where it's boots touched down on the grimy stone.

Aurelius did his best to shake himself clean, sheathing the Baatorian blade before he slipped off into the nearest hallway.

It didn't take long for them to find him.

Looking back, Aurelius was surprised they hadn't found him sooner- his coat and leathers were trailing blood along behind him in a steady red stream, bloody bootprints marking his passage. But give them their due, the bastards managed to sneak up on the tiefling; no sooner had he clocked the first one approaching head on, sword drawn, that four more had blades at his throat. In the cramped confines of the stone corridor, two floors up from the main floor of the building, Aurelius had no room to maneuver, no room to fight back- and with four swords pressing into the tender flesh of his throat, the tiefling knew it was suicide to even try. Besides, he thought merrily, this is goin' just like I want it to. He raised his hands slowly, the myriad chains and charms wrapped around his bracers jingling like so many bells.

The leader of them, the tall female dark elf approaching, with a crest of bright red hair running along her head, stepped up close, a slender falchion held lightly in her gauntlet.

"Surrender your weapons, and come along peacefully or we will kill you," she snapped in clipped Tradespeak.

Aurelius cocked his head, eyeing the chit with a lascivious grin. Smirking, he replied in fluent, but rather accented Aleraran. "There's only one weapon 'ere that I'll give you, luv," giving a nod to his manhood. Her eyes flashed with anger, but the chit kept a lid on it. "But be a good dog, take me to the one 'oldin' your leash, and I'll play nice."

"You are scum, lowly mongrel. Who are you to demand an audience with our Queen?" the chit barked, her blade rising to be level with Aurelius chin, the tip of the thin steel blade lifting his head. She glared into his serpentine eyes, not at all affected by his demonic features.

"I'm the one who's killed three of 'er men in the past night, and aided the cutter who lost 'er Swaysong. So, make me a deader if you want, luv. But you'll be the one 'as to explain it to the boss lady." He paused, letting the guard leader weigh his words.

After a few heartbeats, she let out an angry sigh, evidently coming to a decision.

The elf nodded to one of the guards behind Aurelius, and a second later the warlock was brought to his knees by a blow to the back of his head. Black and white spots flashed across his vision, and the world lurched alarmingly. The broad, muscular guard behind him landed a vicious kick to his ribs, sending Aurelius sprawling even as the elf screamed in pain, his foot sliced open by one of the multitude of blades on the tiefling's armour. The rest drew iron cudgels, laying into the young half-breed with abandon. The rain of blows lasted for long minutes after Aurelianus lost consciousness.

When he finally awoke, he was being dragged none-too-gently through the tannery, across an iron gantry, far above the main floor- below, he noticed as his head lulled drunkenly to the side, were hundreds of workers, all hunched over filthy benches, cutting and stitching leathers, working to provide all sorts of beautiful works. Idly, the tiefling wondered if the noble with the new Aleraran leather scabbard knew how his precious little fashion-statement was produced. Even if 'e did, the Anarchist surmised, 'e probably wouldn't give a toss.

Two guards were hauling him by his underarms, careful to avoid the multitude of nasty protrusions affixed to his leathers, and as he tried to move, he felt the rough rope binding his wrists behind his back. Ahead marched the guard captain, her red hair falling in a tight braid down her back.

He didn't know how long he'd been out, but as they passed into a small antechamber, Aurelius knew exactly where they were taking him. The small room was actually clean, which was a first in this pleasant little hell-hole, furnished in dark woods, and crimson rugs. It was nice enough, obviously expensive, but as the guards dragged him through a set of oak double-doors, the opulence within this new chamber made the other room seem as nice as the blood tunnels. The wall to his left was entirely glass, overlooking the factory below. The floors in here were marble, kept pristine and gleaming; the tiefling's boots squeaked as they dragged along it, his rather unhygienic entry route leaving a smeared blood trail behind him. The room was topped by an arched ceiling, vaulted arches supporting a frescoed roof; lavish tapestries hung on the walls, though as the bloodied prisoner looked closer, he could see that they were crafted from sheets of flesh. That one still 'as a face, he realised, chuckling.

He was turned around suddenly, thrown roughly to his knees with a guard on either side, blades drawn. Looking up, blood running into his eyes from the gash on his brow, Aurelianus had his first view of the exact person he'd been hoping to meet.

Swanra'ann, Queen of The Pit.

She sat before him, on a throne of black stone, raised above him on a dais of black-veined marble. It didn't look unlike his own flesh. The underworld tyrant was surrounded on the dais by a retinue, and even the normally arrogant warlock knew he'd die in seconds if he tried to take them on; standing at the base of the steps leading to the throne were three guards, all dark elves, dressed in boiled leather jerkins, a flintlock rifle of the highest quality slung across their chests. Those alone would have been enough to kill him, but there were a good few more cutters to worry about.

Standing at either side of the Pit Queen were twin albino dark elves, their red eyes locked on Aurelius from under under long, immaculate white hair. They had a profusion of skinning knives sheathed all over their armour, and each had a scimitar hilt sticking out over their left shoulder; next to them was an old man, clearly a wizard- marked by his voluminous, regal blue robes, dark silk patterned with arcane script, and the ornate jeweled staff he leaned on; two steps further down were three humans, all armed to the teeth. Two were Salvaran, their heads shaved, long braided beards hanging down over their chainmail tabards. They each had scars aplenty, and blue-inked tattoos swirling across their exposed flesh.

By this point, even Aurelianus' mighty ego was whispering to him that he'd piked up, and he was soon to be a deader. The half-demon ignored the voice, continuing to scan the entourage, making sure he knew exactly what he was up against.

The third human was black-skinned, with thick lips and a large nose. Aurelius had seen black men before, of course, but none so big as this one- he was easily seven feet tall, and as broad as a war stallion. He was clad from the neck down in plate-mail, every surface buffed and polished to a mirror sheen. The giant leaned casually on a warhammer that was taller than Aurelius himself. Then there was the cutter lounging casually on the lowest step of the dais, legs crossed, resting on his elbows. His tanned skin, and narrow eyes marked him as being of Akashiman descent- a fact confirmed by the outlandish, loose robes he wore (resembling a dress, to the guttersnipe), tied at the waist with a crimson sash, and by his distinctive topknot and drooping mustache. A pair of slender, slightly curved swords were hanging from his sash in beautifully tooled scabbards, inlaid with mother of pearl.

But it was Swanra'ann herself that left the murderer, arsonist and general bastard speechless. From the tales he had heard whispered of this nightmare-incarnate, he had expected a tattooed, pierced, scar-covered goddess of death, clothed in the bones of the fallen, and wielding fear as one might weild a sword. But instead, sitting demurely on the black throne, was a slender Aleraran elf chit; her hair was tied in a simple braid, hanging down over one shoulder; her slender features and high cheekbones made her pretty, but far from a beauty; her armour was, the prisoner noted, the highest quality leather- unsurprising, given her predilection for skinning people. He didn't have to ask where she'd got the materials to make it. And, the fact that made Aurelius all the more peery of this unnassuming little murderess, she bore no weapons. One glance into her cold eyes told him all he needed to know.

This was not a body to mess with. The chant around Ettermire claimed she was as old as the city, and seeing the cunning in those icy blue eyes, he could well believe it.

Aurelius tried to drag himself to his feet, but with his hands tied behind his back, he looked decidely undignified in the attempt.

"Is this him?" Swanra'ann asked of the red-haired guard, her voice hushed, and soft. But, the berks surrounding her were obviously whipped enough to know not to speak over her. Aurelius' elf-like ears pricked up, easily making her out.

Bowing low, the guard nodded. "Aye, m'lady. He was caught breaking in. We apprehended him, and took these. She presented Aurelius' weapons, piled on top of his folded coat. The Skinner nodded to the Akashiman, who took the items from the guard and brought them up to her.

"You may leave now, Atherak," the Skinner said softly. The red-crested chit didn't hesitate.

She admired the leather of his coat for a moment, fingers feeling the quality of the garment, before the vicious little arsenal took her attention. The moment she fondled Herzaa's blade with her slender, ash-grey fingers, Aurelianus snarled, staggering to his feet.

"Get your pikin' 'ands off my bloody chivs!"

The Queen raised an eyebrow in response, before the guard next to Aurelius smashed him in the mouth with the pommel of his sword. Spitting black blood, he fell to one knee, his snake-like eyes never leaving Swanra'ann.

"I'm rememberin' that, cutter," he hissed at the guard. The elf raised his hand to strike again, but his master halted him with a word.

"Stop," she said, and instantly the guard obeyed.

The wizard next to her piped up, at his master's almost imperceptible gesture.

"Why are you here, boy?" the old man croaked, his beard puffing out.

"Bar that, greybeard," the tiefling spat angrily. "I came 'ere to speak to the organ grinder, not the monkey."

The old man turned purple, foaming with rage at the temerity of this upstart whelp. But Swanra'ann raised a finger, both silencing the wizard, and bidding Aurelius to say his piece.

"I've come 'ere to do you a favour, guv," he smirked.

"And what could a guttersnipe such as you offer me, that a thousand others can't?" the Queen of Misery asked, a condescending smirk touching the corners of her bow-shaped lips.

"I've come to lann you some chit's planning to bob you, and I have the chant on where you can find your lad Flint."

Swanra'ann smiled again, her eyes darting between Aurelius' own. He could see she was a canny blood, her mind like a steel trap. "We already have him, in our dungeons, mister..?"

"Burias," he lied instantly. "And I figured you might. 'Fraid 'e won't be there long though. See, the chit I came 'ere with will more than likely want to break 'im out."

The Akashiman laughed, his voice nasal, grating instantly on Aurelius' nerves. "We can catch one-- how you say?-- chit? A single girl will not last long with our guards patrolling the dungeons."

"Aye, you may be right there, Ma'am," the tiefling grinned, seeing the Akashiman's face crease with irritation. "But you're boys ain't gonna spot 'er, since she can't be seen. And if she gets out, and word spread 'bout 'ow two clueless berks managed to give the mighty Swanra'ann the laugh... well," he glanced at her retinue, smirking arrogantly, "we both know what rumours can do to a body in your position. Wouldn't be long before the wolves started circling..."

The leather-clad She-devil crossed one leg over the other, leaning back in her throne. She had tumbled to something. Something Aurelius was hoping she'd pick up on.

"And yet you offer this information on your companion so freely. Why is that, Burias?"

The way she said his name assured Drak'shal she knew he was lying. It didn't matter. "Because, luv, I know which way the wind blows, and I ain't tangling with a blood like you." She accepted this silently. "I'll turn stag and bring both of 'em to you on a platter. But I want a little bit of garnish, if you get my meanin'. I want Swaysong."

The guard next to Aurelius snapped, "you will address Her Grace with the proper respect!".

Raising his hand, he struck the bound tiefling again. As soon as the slap had landed, the planetouched was in motion. Surging to his feet, he rammed his horns up under the elf's chin, tearing open the flesh and throwing his head back. The guard staggered, but Drak'shal was there instantly, lunging for the dark elf's throat. His fangs tore into the soft flesh, and with a wrench of his head, Aurelianus ripped the poor sod's throat out in a fountain of scarlet. The second guard was moving, but this was the kind of fighting Aurelius had been doing since childhood- vicious, dirty, and lethal. As the second guard reached for him, the Cager lashed out with a low kick, shattering a kneecap with his hobnailed boots. Even as the leg gave way, the elf falling forward, his opponent was hammering a bladed knee into his neck. Two guards dead in a matter of heartbeats.

But he knew he could easily not survive the next few seconds.

Acting almost faster than he could think, the warlock threw up Freki's Shield, the magickal fire bursting into life around him in a flash. It was just in time too, as the rifle-armed dark elves opened fire. Two shots hit the shield, ricocheting off into the marble walls, but the third pierced the protective sphere, lancing into the tiefling's shoulder. It was like a white hot spike being driven into his flesh, but even as the shield collapsed, Shahab's Lash was burning through the ropes binding his chafed, bloody wrists. He threw himself backward out of instinct, grabbing the body of one of the guards and hearing the whistle of a blade passing through the space he had occupied only a fraction of a second ago. The follow up swing hammered into the corpse, and Aurelius rolled it away from him, jumping to his feet and backing up quickly.

The Akashiman followed him though, yanking his wakizashi out of the corpse. Unarmed, the bloody, bruised and beaten half-man knew better than to fight on. He held up his hands in submission, and Swanra'ann cleared her throat- taking this as an order to desist, the swordsman stepped back, keeping his blades trained on his opponent.

*clap, clap, clap*

Aurelius turned to the dais, to see Swanra'ann applauding him slowly. He wasn't sure if she was mocking him or not, but he was in no position to ask. She didn't seem too saddened by the death of her minions, though.

"It seems you can offer me a few things after all. Very well, you will bring me both Flint, and the girl, alive," her relish at the prospect of torture was almost tangible. "In return, I will graciously let you live. If you impress me enough, I will even grant your boon- I may give you a vial of Swaysong."

Aurelius smirked inside, a vicious gleam in his serpentine gaze. You're a canny blood, bitch, but I'm peelin' you all the same. The thrill he got out of playing this sort of dangerous game was indescribable.

"Your will be done, boss," he smiled coldly, bowing.

Turning to the Akashiman, he snapped his fingers and sneered- "Be a good dog, an' fetch me my blades."

Ten minutes later, the tiefling was standing at the top of the stairway leading down into the dungeon, flanked by a new pair of guards, both with sword and pistol already drawn.

"Stay 'ere," he snarled, both of the hired goons unable to meet his demonic eyes, or look at the blood of their comrades drying on his chin. They were only to happy to keep away from the abomination. Besides, they both knew there was no way out of the dungeon. The only way out was these stairs, and they would see anyone approaching.

A cruel smile split Aurelianus' face. Everything was going exactly to plan.
    Last edited by Aurelianus Drak'shal; 02-01-13 at 09:22 AM.
    "My talent's for lying. For sticking the knife in when people least expect it. Then walking away with a smile and a wave before they even realize they're bleeding."
    - John Constantine

- Gavin Guile

"There are two secrets to becoming great. One is never to reveal all that you know."
    - Anon.

Your Flesh, My Canvas
    GP

Name
    Aurelianus Drak'shal
    Race
    Tiefling
    Hair Color
    Dark red quills
    Eye Color
    Build
    5' 9'' 152 lbs
    Job

View Profile
    Finally, after what felt like an age, Aurelius found what he was looking for, as he knelt at yet another intersection in this labyrinthine basement. He was still trailing blood, though not as much as he had been- it was starting to dry, to congeal on his clothes and skin. He could only imagine what he would look like to others. He had noticed quickly that bloodstains on the floor were nothing new to this place. He had tumbled to that fact when he came across the room Flint had been held in- the smell of alcohol had been there, along with the pus drops staining the blood on the floor- and seen the flayed corpse; it had no shoulder wound though, so it wasn't the short, bald cutter. In another room, he found the two unconscious guards Luned had taken down- the traces on the floor and walls pointed to her using the smoke bombs she'd nabbed in Ezura's kip, to rescue her minder. He slit the guards' throats to prevent any bother from them later.

And then he had found Ezura's corpse a few rooms down. Aurelius had never met the chit himself, but looking at the state of her body, he instantly recognised the effects of Swaysong... and then he had seen the shattered vials littering the floor, all empty, their contents already evaporated. His rage at that moment, when he had realised there was no more pure Swaysong left, was indescribable. All that work, all that effort, pissed away for nothing!! But instead of throwing one of his usual bloody tantrums, the tiefling had forced the fury down, turning it into a cold ball of hate- he would get more than his share from everyone involved in this ride, that he swore to himself.

His nose twitched again bringing him back to the present objective, and the tiefling knew for sure this time- he could smell alcohol. It was faint, even to his senses, but it was definitely.. there!

Aurelianus waited a few seconds, parking his ears for footsteps... Ah, there she is... he smiled darkly, stepping out into the hallway. In the faint light of the small lamps lining the walls, the tiefling knew he must look a true nightmare. He knew Luned was there, could smell her skin, her sweat.. he could almost taste her fear as she saw him. The footfalls died instantly, as Luned froze, praying silently that the snake-featured demon didn't notice her. too late for that, luv, he thought, pretending to scan the hallway for anyone else. He turned, looking straight through the chit. He turned toward away from her, as if he was undecided about which way to go. He paused, keeping his back to the unfortunate scribe, baiting her to come closer. After all, the only exit was right beside the warlock- she had no choice.

After a few tense seconds, Luned decided to go for it, trusting in her invisibility to hide her from the creep.

Drak'shal waited patiently, trusting his senses to tell him when Luned was close enough. The second she stepped within range, Aurelius struck- spinning on his heel, the blood-soaked renegade grabbed Luned around the throat, his hand squeezing unseen tendons in her neck, tightening around her windpipe. Leaning in close, smelling the bub on her skin, the blood underneath, and under that, her fear, he ran his forked tongue up her cheek, savouring the taste. She was terrified of Aurelius, this he knew. And with good reason, he agreed- the gutter-spawn had readily agreed to betray her and Flint not even an hour ago, and not long before that, was planning to murder them for Swaysong.

He could feel her shaking, even if he couldn't see it.

"'ello luv," he smiled, "where are you rushin' off to?"

**"Let go of me,"** she gasped angrily, trying to push him off. But, as Aurelius raised Herzaa's blade to where her face must be, it became evident he wasn't going to let her go quite yet. He felt her rapid breathing, and chuckled.

**"I told you to wait outside"**

Aurelius nodded, "aye, that you did. And I can't 'elp but wonder- would you 'ave bothered comin' back for me? Would you 'ave told me the Swaysong's gone? Now you've rescued your boy-toy, I doubt it. In fact, I would put money on you just waltzing out of 'ere and givin' me the laugh. Sound about right, cutter?"

**"Could you blame me?"**

The chit squirmed again, and Aurelius pressed the cold steel of the curved dagger against her cheek, just under her eye. She got the message, and went still. His hand tightened around her throat, cutting off her air.

"Could I blame you?" He appeared to ponder the question for a moment. "Y'know luv, I'm so happy you see it that way. 'Cause Swanra'ann 'as offered me a decent bit o' jink for your pretty little brain-box. And after all the shit I've 'ad to put up with, just to end up with bugger all, can you blame me for handin' you over on a silver pikin' platter?"

He removed the dagger from her face, hanging it at his belt again before glancing around. They were alone.

"But, thank whatever Powers you 'old dear, girl, I'm not workin' for 'er. I'm playin' this game for one body, bitch, just one- Me."

He eased the pressure on her throat, letting her breathe again, feeling her chest rising and falling against his own.

"So for now, I'm willin' to let you go."

He forestalled any response from Luned with a raised finger. "But," he said, keeping his voice measured and low, "only in return for a favour. I'll come to you, at some point soon, and ask you for somethin'- your help, your money, your blood- and whatever I ask you for, you will pay the music and give me it. No questions, no declinin', no trying to 'ide from me."

He slipped the ticket out of his inner pocket, mercifully free of blood-stains and held it up for her to see clearly.

"Because if I can't find you, luv, I'm sure I could settle for payin' little miss Agnie a visit at her kip. You followin' me?"

He could feel the chit's neck tendons tightening, as she leveled a glare of hatred at the tiefling. She nodded as much as his grip would allow, grunting out a begrudging "fine."

Aurelius tucked away the ticket, his serpentine eyes dancing with amusement. All in all, he was thoroughly enjoying himself. He couldn't resist adding insult to injury. He brought his blood-stained face close to Luned, his nose nearly touching her's- at this distance, the half-breed could almost make her out, the air distorted where she stood.

"One last thing, sweet'eart," he smiled coldly, his fangs bright white against the congealing vitae on his skin. "Give me a kiss before you go."

Luned struggled as much as she could, with the reptilian nightmare this close, trying to hit him, to reach for her knife, anything to get him off of her. But it was useless. Aurelius leaned down, bringing his blood-stained lips against Luned's. Instantly, she started bucking, writhing, trying desperately to get free of him, but Drak'shal's blood was up, and he was having fun rubbing salt in her wounds. His tongue slipped between her lips, the black appendage caressing her's aggressively. He kept the kiss up for a long moment, tasting the girl's revulsion and hatred of him like a sweet wine. But, he finally let her go, seeing a smear of blood against her face. It was an odd sight, considering she was still invisible, but after a second, the stain became transparent too, before vanishing.

He finally stepped back, letting Luned go with a shove toward the stairs, leading up to her way out. He listened to her hurried footsteps as she fled the tannery, and the degenerate tiefling. Aurelius mocking laughter followed her up the staircase with every step.

"Run, rabbit, run," he grinned. Turning back to the maze of corridors, the warlock knew it was time to get on with what he'd come down here to do.

Now, it was time to find Flint.

In the end, it wasn't that hard to track him down. After Luned had abandoned him, the thug had ended up staggering down the halls, leaving a trail of blood and pus wherever his wounded shoulder rubbed down the rough stone walls. Aurelius had found the trail not too far from where he had stumbled upon Ezura's mangled corpse.

The second he had found Luned leaving without the Salvaran in tow, the canny tiefling had put the pieces together- Flint had got loose, and penned Ezura in the dead-book. In the process, he'd destroyed all the remaining Swaysong in the vicinity- for that fact alone, Aurelius was sorely tempted to nick the sod's sorry throat the second he saw him. Swanra'ann had told him she wanted Flint alive.. but he had no intention of fulfilling either of their wishes. He had bigger plans than petty revenge.

Finally, after following the slick crimson trail on the walls and floor for a while, the tiefling picked up the scent. Sweat, fear, blood... oh, the human was ripe with it, and Aurelianus licked his lips hungrily.

He was on a stone corridor, lined with wooden cell doors on either side; the sounds of pitiable mewling came from within some of them, muffled screams from others, and Drak'shal could even hear one of the cell occupants scratching at the heavy metal door, whimpering desperately. Swanra'ann, it seemed, was as much of a monster as any of the demons Aurelius had trafficked with over the years. He quirked an eyebrow as he spotted the object of her wrath recently: Flint.

The poor sod looked to be a bit more lucid than he had been when Aurelius saw him last, but he was still in a sorry state- his wound was festering, blood dribbling from his many wounds, bruises standing out stark against his flesh. After his run in with the Pit Queen's guards, Aurelius had more than a few bruises himself.. as well as a lead ball in his arm, a re-opened gash on his brow, and some broken ribs. The tiefling ignored his wounds for now, eyes narrowing as he watched the dying man stagger on ahead. Wouldn't be 'ard to stick a blade in 'im 'ere and now, he thought, idly scratching the burned flesh of his cheek. Well, let's see what we can get out of this one, the manipulative half-demon chuckled mentally, drawing his heavy cleaver blade from it's sheath on his calf.

Putting his fingers in his mouth, he let out a shrill whistle again, like he had done in the sewers those many, long hours ago.

The man froze, back going rigid as he turned, painfully slow. The man met Aurelianus' black and yellow gaze, not flinching. A second passed and neither of them said anything. Two seconds. Three...

**"What are you waiting for?"** Flint asked, clearly expecting Aurelius to kill him. And it's a bloody temptin' idea, no mistake.

The warlock tilted his head, honestly considering the question. But, he reminded himself, he had a bigger picture to keep in mind.

"Swanra'ann wants you dead, real bad mate. Even offered me a pretty penny to bring you back to 'er alive and kickin'. But, you're a lucky sod. I ain't dancin' to 'er tune anymore than you are." He shrugged, the machete-like blade chiming as it hit against the vicious armour plates.

Aurelius regarded the corridor they were both in, waiting long enough to give Flint time to register what he had said.

"'Ow desperate are you to get out of 'ere with your skin intact, mate?"

**"Say more,"** the man replied cautiously, peery around the half-breed.

The tiefling smirked darkly. "Desperate enough to trust me?"

The short, stocky basher instantly replied with a single word- "No."

Then he paused for a few seconds, actually weighing up his options. The conclusion he came to was not particularly pleasant. "Yes," he said, frowning.

Chewing on a spike of his hair, the predator smiled, showing his fangs. "That's what I like to 'ear, cutter. You want outta 'ere, and you don't want the Bitch Queen upstairs catchin' you." That much was obvious, but Aurelius was making sure Flint understood how much he needed the tiefling's help right now.

"I can get you out of 'ere, but it'll cost you."

Peery as always, a smart move on his part, Flint didn't question why Aurelius would help him. He only wanted to know how much it would cost him.

Aurelius walked closer, reversing his grip on the cleaver, trying not to panic Flint into doing anything he'd not live long enough to regret. He stopped a few steps short of the mangled human. But the human made no move to attack- they both knew by this point, Flint wouldn't stand a chance of taking the warlock.

"'Ere's the deal, boy, take it or leave it- I don't want your jink. Nothin' like that. I want a favour," Aurelius hissed the word softly, "from you, at some point soon. You'll agree to whatever I ask, no ifs, no buts, and after you've done what I want, we're square. You follow me?"

He knew he was playing a dangerous game, but there was no reward without risk. Herzaa had taught him that, during their travels. The canny little tiefling from Sigil had to make sure this all played out according to plan, or it wouldn't just be Flint up on the Skinner's table. But, he'd been toying with organisations like Swanra'ann's since before he'd left the City of Doors- this was second nature to someone of his mixed heritage. He was a liar, a manipulator, a cheat, a 'cony-catcher', in his vernacular. And he was damn good at what he did. But right now, he needed the Salvaran safely out of here, to use as leverage. This barmy addle-cove doesn't take the offer, we're both piked.

To his disguised relief, Flint nodded. **"A favour for a favour."**

"Glad you've tumbled to the right answer, mate," he smirked. Without warning, Drak'shal brought the cleaver blade up, slicing open his own forearm. His black blood ran like ink over his alabaster flesh, the keen edge of the weapon easily parting the skin. Another cut along his cheek, and a third across the armour plates covering his left arm, and the tiefling handed the weapon, hilt first, to a very confused Flint. Aurelius made no move to explain himself, instead fishing in his satchel for a tattered and well-thumbed notebook. Studying it closely for a few minutes, Aurelius found what he was looking for. He tore a blank page out of the back, and plucked a quill from his head.

Dipping the point in the blood flowing from his arm, the warlock started writing hurriedly, speaking as he wrote, without looking up. "You follow these instructions to the letter when you get out of 'ere, understood?"

Aurelius handed Flint the note, his blood still drying on the page. He knew he was running short on time before Swanra'ann lost her patience, and sent her guards in. Flint had to be long gone by then. The tiefling unhooked a small golden glyph from a chain around his neck, pressing it into Flint's hand firmly.

"Don't lose this, for pike's sake. Take this," he said pointing to the glyph, then the note, "to here. When you get there, find the orc with the tattooed tusks- don't ask- and tell 'im a friend of Aran Sicht sent you. You got that? Aran. Sicht. They'll see you out of Ettermire, take you wherever you need to be."

Aurelius waited for some indication that Flint was following the fast-paced conversation. When the bald man nodded up at him, the half-demon continued. "Right, good, bloody smashin'. Now, follow me, keep quiet, and don't die."

The warlock grabbed Flint by his uninjured arm, dragging him along the corridors at a quick pace. He had left his coat back up in Swanra'ann's 'throne room', so he had to be careful not to catch the already buggered man on the vicious leather plates. As an afterthought, he put a burst of Hellfire into each cell through the small barred window at the top of each door- no use letting the poor berks live, and run the risk of them telling the Queen of the Pit what had really transpired in her dungeons.

The journey was hectic, the pair barreling through the hallways as fast as their injuries would allow, until they finally arrived. The coppery stink of blood was much stronger in this part of the dungeon, emanating from the metl grate in the wall; it was another of the blood chutes, like the one Aurelius had entered through. The tiefling had marked a good few of them throughout the tannery, and he knew this route would lead Flint out safely... or as close as he was likely to find down here. The man's hesitation was evident, and Aurelius couldn't blame him- with his injuries, the fever breaking, and everything else arrayed against him, the last thing Flint wanted to do was climb in the reeking, pitch-black metal pipe, slick with the bodily fluids of countless deaders.

"That's your way out, cutter," Aurelianus nodded to the grate, lifting the heavy sheet of metal. "If you don't want to end up as the barmy bitch's next pair of shoes, I suggest you get a pikin' move on."

Flint's revulsion and fear were almost tangible, but after taking a few deep breaths, the man ran a hand over his bruised and bloody head, before starting to clamber into the pipe. Aurelius took one last look at the maimed form of Flint, and fished in his satchel again. He pulled out a roll of bandages and handed them to the man with a nod.

"Can't get my favour if you end up in the dead-book 'fore you get out of Ettermire," he said, with a nod at the bandages.

Flint accepted the roll of material, and started the arduous climb down into the dank, hot darkness.

Sure Flint would make it out, Aurelius took a deep breath to prepare himself for this next part.

He had managed to get both the berks out of the tannery in one piece, and he was two favours better off than he was when he started this ride. Now, he got to have some real fun- he got to try and convince Swanra'ann not to skin him alive.

It's gonna be a fun night, he smirked, heading back to the stone staircase.
    Last edited by Aurelianus Drak'shal; 01-30-13 at 09:17 PM.
    - John Constantine

- Gavin Guile

- Anon.

Wayward Scribe
    GP

Name
    Luned Bleddyn
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Chestnut
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'4"/Average
    Job
    Chronicler

View Profile
    It seemed to take every last ounce of energy the scribe had to trek her way back, her legs moving on pure determination alone, limbs heavy as if they might simply fall off. Even the amazing quality boots that the inn had scrounged up were past the point of comfort and chewed at her heels and toes as she hobbled blindly back to the sewers. She wasn't even quite sure why she was going there, only that she felt she should. There was nothing else left to do. Ezura was dead, the Swaysong was lost, and as a result of these tragedies, Luned couldn't give Helethra and her mother their life back. She felt loss of purpose, an emptiness that made the thought of going home meaningless. The only modicum of inspiration left in her was to find out what happened Helethra. Maybe she could give the girl a proper burial if it was too late, one last notion of humanity to ease the pain of just how sorry she was about everything that had happened since she came to Ettermire. Even someone as useless and helpless as her could honor a death in some way.

The invisibility had begun to wear off while Luned was still on the grounds of the tannery, but she was concealed in the smog well enough that she made it to the main road without much trouble. For that she was grateful, as Aurelianus did her nerves no favors in their last meeting and if she was looking forward to even just one thing at this point, it was to get the hell away from him and the rest of the monsters here. She just prayed he would never cash in on the boon he demanded; what could she possibly do for him, anyhow? No, scratch that. She didn't want her thoughts to go down that road.

The memory of the half-demon's touch and the lingering flavor of rancid blood in Luned's mouth churned her stomach. With some minor success she kept herself from reliving the experience too many times on her long walk, but once she recalled too many details and had to stop, lean hopelessly against a building, and lose the contents of her stomach on the brick. There wasn't much left in there, she hadn't eaten since breakfast, but she felt ill nonetheless. She could still taste him.

She passed like a phantom through the night, slipping transparent and silent by the decrepit homes of the slums. By the time she reached the center of the industrial quarter once more she appeared whole again, and with no sign of morning and her homemade glow sticks long gone, she realized she needed light for her last mission. Luned stopped outside a dingy tavern, still alive with the more social nocturnal creatures of the city, and took a deep breath. Though the air of Ettermire on the whole was polluted by her Coronian standards, the breeze here was crisp and clean compared to the stagnant smog of the tannery, and she felt it clear the last of the putrid fog from her lungs. She rubbed an itch at the stitches on her neck, immediately winced in regret, and then stepped into the building. It took some haggling and endurance of a few strange glances, but within ten minutes the scribe returned to the street with bread in her pocket and a lantern in hand.

Luned's return to the sewers was greeted by nothing but eerie stillness. She reentered through the pipeline the trio had exited earlier, and as she went deeper, her footsteps echoed around her and incited her to check over her shoulder for irrational glimpses of stalkers every few feet. It was close enough to the surface that she didn't anticipate haplessly bumping into any of the more horrific critters, but the loss of Flint's support was like the loss of a limb. It felt strange to be there without him, and also strange was the slight twinge of sadness when she realized they likely wouldn't cross paths again. She'd learned what kind of person he really was in the tannery, but there was something about surviving hell with somebody that made her want to hold onto him.

The pipe where she last met Helethra was easy to spot from the smears of dried blood and she tried not to think about how much of it was her own. With a deep breath, Luned drew her knife and held it with the lantern in one hand, then crouched to crawl into the tunnel.

A very obvious trail of gore marked Helethra's path and Luned's chest twinged with guilt as she recollected what she did, her hand trembling on the grip of the weapon she'd used against a child. Twice she stopped for a break, the cuts on her arms and shoulders aggravated, her anxiety-churned stomach threatening to lose the few mouthfuls of ale she'd had at the tavern to wash out the taste of blood. The second time she almost gave up, realizing that if she went too far she might not have the energy to get out, and the deeper she went, the less likely she was to survive the trip. As she calmed herself from claustrophobia with slow breathing, however, there was a sound further down the tunnel… and it wasn't the ominous scraping or gnashing of a monster, either. It was the whimper of a child.

Luned barely dared to speak up. "Helethra? Is that you?" Her words rang back at her and she flinched at the harsh echoes.

"Hello?" the girl called back, her tiny voice almost lost in the tunnel. She sounded so very frail, and in spite of the terror Luned knew the child was capable of, she pressed on.

Eventually the pipeline intersected with another and in that small chamber Helethra rested, curled up in the corner. The dim light from the lantern barely illuminated her silhouette, hunched and heaving with labored breath. The floor was covered in mingling pools of drying blood and vomit.

"Hel," Luned whispered, her voice seeming loud in the otherwise silent tunnels. It resounded sharply over the girl's gasping and she lowered it even more, attempting to bring as much warmth to her tone as possible, not wishing to betray just how frightened she was of the ailing child. "It's me, Luned. Will you let me help you, now?"

The dark, bent form of the girl trembled, and after a moment, the scribe realized she was sobbing. After a long moment, she wailed a weak response. "I'm sorry," Helethra cried. "I'm so sorry, I was just mad, but it hurts…"

Luned set the lantern down in the mouth of the pipe and began to crawl out of it into the chamber with the weeping child. "I'm coming in now," she announced, unable to see Helethra's face to know her reaction. "Can you show me where you're hurt? Maybe I can help."

Helethra seemed to make an effort to sit up, her form barely recognizable as humanoid now, even in the heavy shadow. Her back was twisted and everywhere were the bark-like growths, covering nearly all her skin and warping her shape from a little elf into a gnarled creature. She was wrapped in the tattered remnants of her brown cape, too small to cover her properly, and her head hung down, face covered by what was left of her sandy-colored hair. There were still some youthful curls in it, and Luned wondered for a brief, melancholy moment if she was the kind of girl who liked ribbons or preferred to keep it free.

Still curled in on herself and too weak to rise properly, Helethra eventually whimpered a response. "Everything hurts," she sniffed. "Everything's cold, and it hurts, and I wish I was home with Mom."

In spite of herself, tears began to well in Luned's eyes, and she didn't have it in herself to stop them at this point. "We can pretend," she ventured, creeping cautiously closer to the child's hunched form. "What does she do for you when you're sick?"

This seemed to appease Helethra, at least somewhat, and the child finally looked up. Her face was too obscured by the darkness to recognize, but her green eyes glinted, capturing what little light there was. They were Helethra's eyes, and Luned unconsciously let out a sigh of relief. "Hugs me in bed," she said. "With all the blankets. Makes my favorite food…" She shivered, as if missing the warmth of her old home.

"Here," Luned spoke up, unbuttoning the heavy over-shirt Aurelianus had nicked for her. "Pretend this is a blanket." She pulled it off, shivering also as the cool air of the underground met the bare skin of her arms and shoulders, and draped it over the girl. Settling in next to her, she pulled the bread from her pocket and offered it. "Are you hungry? I only have this, but you can have it."

A clawed hand, larger than her own with long talons glistening in the lantern light, reached out with what little energy the child had left. They were still caked with Luned's blood from earlier and she felt lightheaded at the thought. Helethra accepted it gently, as if conscious of this, and she drew it to her chest. "Eat later… too sleepy." With that she leaned heavily against the scribe, nearly knocking her over, and Luned threw caution to the wind by wrapping a tentative arm around the girl's shoulders. After some adjustment, they both relaxed, and Helethra was wound almost comfortably in Luned's meager embrace.

"Sorry, I should have brought one of your dolls for you," Luned said, hoping Helethra didn't notice her chest heaving as she suppressed a sob. It appeared that the child didn't notice much of anything, her body limp, her skin frightfully cool to the touch. At one point Luned's hand, which was absentmindedly stroking the girl's side for comfort, touched something cold and wet; the bleeding hadn't stopped in all this time, and there was no doubt in her mind that Helethra was dying a slower version of her mother's death, sped by the injury she'd inflicted earlier. "That one in the white dress… you made it to look like your friends, didn't you? The rats?"

A vague mumble of confirmation came forth from the girl, and Luned's suspicion was validated.

"The one with the extra limbs… was that one of the spiders?"

Helethra mumbled again and, at Luned's gentle insistence, repeated herself more audibly. Her voice was growing weaker and less consistent, testament to her exhaustion. "Yeah, but…" she drifted off, then muttered a barely coherent, "accident."

Luned perked at this admission. "What do you mean, an accident?"

"Fed the rats my medicine," Helethra explained, struggling to stay awake. "It's yucky, but they're always hungry… I wasn't sick. Didn't want it. But last time…" Her voice trailed off and she went still, causing Luned to panic and rouse her with a gentle shake on the shoulder. Her skin was roughly textured under her palm, like the mossy root of an old tree.

"Last time?"

The conversation took too much energy out of what little Helethra had left and she whimpered, too weak to cry again. "She made me take it, and now my tummy hurts."

Luned gathered the girl in her arms again, tighter this time, and held on just as much for her own comfort as Helethra's. That was the last piece of the puzzle: Hel fed her medicine to the sewer animals, they suffered its side effects, and when her mother believed it wasn't working on her daughter, she went to Swaysong as a last resort. She buried her face into the child's hair, lost in her thoughts, until Helethra piped up one more time. Her voice came in a barely audible whisper.

"Read… story? So, so… sleepy…"

That was the last straw and Luned lost it, no longer bothering to cover for her tears. She allowed herself to sob wholeheartedly, muffled against Helethra's shoulder, and clung to the delirious little girl with all the strength she had left. The child barely noticed, her breathing shallow as she dozed. After a short while Luned found her wits again and, after a few slow, deliberate breaths, she composed herself enough to rummage through her pocket. The first thing she found was the Little Red Book and she extracted it, keeping her other arm around Helethra, and flipped through the pages. There were no fairy tales with happy endings in this small tome to send a child off to peaceful slumber, but if this was the one thing she could do for her, nothing was going to stop her from pretending.

"Once upon a time," Luned said, doing her best to sound confident, "There was a girl…" At this point Helethra was unresponsive, sighing contentedly in light repose against the scribe's chest. She didn't have the heart to disturb her so she continued, even knowing she likely wasn't hearing a word. That realization made it easier to tell the story, as she was no longer self-conscious when her voice caught in her throat and gave way to a full-on sob. "And, u-um… she lived in the attic of a museum." Luned thumbed through the book as if hoping to find inspiration for the impromptu tale, yielding nothing, but as she did so, a few stray pieces of note-covered scrap paper fell out into her lap. She set the book down to replace them between the pages and saw that they contained her research about Swaysong. She'd pursued the mythical substance herself, having hidden her goal from her mentor back home… and of course, she realized now that the fact she had to keep it secret should have been the first red flag. If she had any foresight at all, this entire mess could have been avoided.

Without thinking, Luned opened to the section that detailed the spell she'd intended to use with the Swaysong. It was a reversal, an undo button with which she could turn back the clock on a specified object. For her intended purpose she needed an amplifier, something that would raise its effectiveness from several hours to several months and span continents. Her time in Salvar was the beginning of all her troubles and she had fully intended to change the course of events that led her to the misery of here and now, curled up in a sewer with a dying child in her arms.

But if the disaster that was Salvar never happened, Luned would never have come to Ettermire. Ezura still would have stolen the Swaysong and killed her daughter.

This epiphany should have led to deeper sorrow, but instead transformed into yet another: Luned was here for a reason. She could help Helethra, and she was too stupid and absorbed in her own trivial anguish to have seen it.

"Wake up," Luned urged the child, shaking her shoulder. Helethra barely stirred, already at the edge of being lost to a dangerous sleep. Suddenly panicked, the scribe pushed the girl off of her, Hel's mutated form much larger and heavier than herself, and laid her gently on the ground as she got to her knees. Before turning away she adjusted her shirt over the child, covering her as well as she possibly could.

And then she set to work. Assuming Helethra consumed the Swaysong in the past day, Luned imagined it was still in her system. The vomit and blood stewing on the ground likely had trace amounts of the substance in it, and while it couldn't possibly be enough to revise the scribe's past follies, she imagined it was just enough to amplify the spell to a strength that would bring the real Helethra back.

Grabbing the lantern and setting it amongst the muck, Luned knelt at the edge of the pool and propped her book open with one hand. Referencing the ancient High Elven script, she used the capped tip of her fountain pen to coax streams of the congealing liquid into lines that resembled writing.

It took a long time, Luned too afraid she'd make a mistake as she constantly compared the swirls of characters she crafted atop the grimy floor with the more pristine shapes in the book. The concentration wore her out and she was too afraid to check the girl behind her, opting to instead revel in the dull pain that began behind her eyes as she strained to read and perform perfect calligraphy with chunky bodily fluids in the dark.

Twice and thrice she checked the spell, the liquid cursive glinting wet in the lantern light one last time before the Swaysong seemed to evaporate straight out of it in curls of ethereal steam. It filled the chamber with a light fog, and Luned finally allowed herself a cautious glance over her shoulder.

Helethra was sitting up, her form small and perfect again as she inspected Luned curiously in the dim light. "Who're you?" she asked, and the scribe realized that her mind had been reverted as well, further back than the time she met herself and Flint outside the sewers. She was a stranger.

"I'm Luned," the young woman replied, a hesitant, tearful smile creeping across her face. "And you are…?"

The little girl stood in a hunched position in the short chamber, holding Luned's shirt over herself still to cover the useless tatters of her remaining clothing. "I'm Helethra. How'd I get here? My clothes sure are messed up, Mom's gonna be mad." Before she could reply, the child answered her own question. "I must have been on my way to visit my friends."

Involuntarily, Luned blurted, "No! I-I mean… don't go down there, please. I'm lost. Do you think you could show me where you live? I bet you know this place real well," she corrected herself, but it was too late. The damage was done, and even in the heavy shadows, she could see the suspicion in Helethra's vivid green eyes.

"You can't stop me," the child retorted defiantly. "I'm gonna go visit my friends now. Mom says not to talk to strangers, anyways."

Luned could've laughed –– Helethra certainly had no trouble talking to strangers when they first met –– but, then again, she hadn't woken disoriented and disheveled in a pool of her own blood and vomit. Still, the scribe tried.

"Please don't go, I need your help," Luned pleaded.

Helethra simply shook her head, turned around, and climbed into the pipe behind her. Luned panicked, scrambling to her feet. In her rush she lost her bearings and hit her head against the ceiling of the chamber, hard enough to send her stumbling, and she fell hard to her knees in the sludge. "Come back! Helethra!"

"No!" the girl called, her voice echoing down the tunnel. She was quick and soon was gone, Luned knew she had no way of catching up… and, in perhaps the coarsest moment of her life thus far, she realized there was no way in hell she was going back to the rat king.

Luned emerged from the wide entrance of the sewers to the first hint of dawn, the sun still tucked under the darkly clouded horizon as the yawn of its first few rays just barely illuminated the dank industrial street outside. The world greeted her in a blurry mass of grimy gray and bleak brown, and she truly couldn't wait to be back in Radasanth where even the most urban places were kept alive with green and sunshine.

In short, she was an utterly wretched mess. The scribe looked every inch the catastrophe of the past day and a half, and with her top half clad only in a thin undershirt, her battle wounds were bared. It almost felt nice without the constant irritation of cloth on them, but some of the deeper claw marks –– stitched or not –– had begun to weep, and she knew she'd need a heavy course of antibiotics alongside Flint. That was, if he got any. She hoped he would.

Hugging herself with her arms, the bruised and battered scribe trudged out onto the street with intent to go straight to her rendezvous with Agnie. With one hand, Luned smoothed her braids, miraculously intact thanks to whatever witchcraft the hairdresser at the inn used, and rubbed her tear-swollen, exhaustion-darkened eyes. She looked rather fierce, all in all, her mangled look topped off with a smear of dried blood across her chin and cheek from Aurelianus' cruel idea of a joke. His bloody handprint still grasped at her neck.

But what ultimately mattered was that Helethra was alive and healthy, and Luned couldn't help but wonder if her life would be happier in the sewers with the replacement family she sired than in a broken home. It was one of the biggest lies she'd ever made to herself, but it would be enough to help her sleep at night.

Then there was the added bonus that she was somehow alive, too, and though not particularly healthy, she was cautiously optimistic enough to relish the realization that she could finally go home.
    Last edited by Luned; 01-31-13 at 12:42 AM.
    • • • art

GP

Name
    Flint Skovik
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6'4"/330 lbs

View Profile
    Hell lay behind, and Ettermire in front. Flint didn’t dare look over his shoulder. He plodded on, leaving a trail of black footprints, and then just drips, and then the gore was too dry to do anything but crack and split on his skin and clothes with every shuffling step. He tried not to think about what was causing his pants to cling to his calves so. Every few minutes Flint forced a surge of strength into his limbs, demanded more of his body, spurned on by the fear of knives in his back – knives in the hands of Swanra'ann or knives in the hand of Aurelianus.

But no knives came, no shouts of alarm, no whistles, and the pain was constant but consistent. He ducked into an alley when he felt marginally safe, and looked at the paper the tiefling had given him. He tried to puzzle out the trick – did Aurelianus have his own thugs waiting? But if the goal were to kill him, why not do it in the Queen’s pit? He had nothing of value, and with the Swaysong lost he didn’t know anything. If punishment or torture were the endgame, why not let Swanra’ann keep him?

No matter how he turned it in his head, it seemed as though the favor was genuine. Beyond all hope, all rights, Flint was alive and he had a way out. He turned the glyph over in his hand, smudging blood and grime on the gold, and thought back to what Aurelianus told him. The orc with tattooed tusks, sent by a friend of Aran Sicht, and then what? Freedom, at least temporarily. Maybe they could spirit him out by train back to Salvar. He could find a good hole in the ground and lick his wounds, harden up again, and prepare for the tiefling’s return.

Flint risked a glance down the road, back in the direction of the tannery. Maybe the snake-eyed villain wouldn’t make it past Swanra’ann, and the debt would go unsettled. He could hope, but he would prepare for the worst. Step one was…

Flint turned the paper over in his hand slowly. He wadded it up and then tossed it into the gutter, and pocketed the glyph. He started digging through the alley detritus until he uncovered a drunk swaddled in tattered blankets, and after a brief struggle he retrieved one of the blankets and wrapped it around himself like a shoddy cloak. The drunk spat and swore and slurred, but never actually woke up.

Then Flint turned toward the industrial district and he walked as fast as his battered body could carry him.

----

The factories exhaled smoke, but they did so silently. There were a handful of dark elf workers on the early-morning streets, all drooped heads and bleary eyes either from a full night’s work or a short night’s rest. They ignored the strange, filthy human dressed in stained rags. If they caught wind of him, they crossed to the opposite side of the street, which he judged wise.

It was still dark when Flint arrived at a place which would evermore haunt his nightmares: a muddy hill with a naked metal tube protruding from it, weeping sooty water and slime. Even now, the brute stared at it impotently, and surrendered. He had no light, no strength, no will, and no bravery left. He leaned against the back wall of a warehouse, and watched, and wondered.

He slept on his feet, using the wall to support his weight, and his fevered subconscious tormented him – Luned had gone in, and the horrors there cornered and savaged her in the dark, and he wasn’t there. He betrayed her twice, and she would haunt him forever for it, and that – not the murder or the cruelty or the destruction – that was his greatest sin. Her ghost would torment him, with seaweed in her braids and spiders in her empty eye sockets, and he would deserve all the harm she hadn't.

Flint felt guilt and despair for the first time since he was a child, and he was too sick and tired to bury them where they belonged.

He opened his eyes to find the sun rising and the city coming to life around him, whistles echoing down the alleys, horns from the direction of the trains, and klaxons from the airships somewhere overhead above the smog, and Luned came out of the tube and descended the hill.

She didn’t notice him until she was just about to pass him, and then she stopped. She stared at him, and he stared back from the corner of his eye, finally shifting against the wall to look at her straight on. She was armored in grime and blood and newly stitched wounds, collared in red handprints, and she had blood for war paint. Her eyes were red and her tears had drawn smeared lines in the dirt on her cheeks.

“You look vulnerable,” she said.

Flint almost cracked a smile. “You don’t.”

There was a long, uncomfortable silence, and then Flint said, “Is she…?”

“She’s alive. She’s okay.”

Flint nodded, and turned his eyes away from Luned. That was enough, and the rest went unsaid. He was not accustomed to apologizing.

“Come on,” Luned said.

“Where?”

“Anywhere else,” Luned said, and she began to walk.
    Last edited by Warpath; 01-30-13 at 09:09 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast